Texas AM/Oklahoma discussion

got tamu as the better team here; and big-game bob hates bowl games...

Kingsbury's departure shouldn't be overlooked. That's going to be an issue for Aggy and OU's D should be well prepared for the spread O. Don't think Aggy will have much success stopping OU. Also, imo,the Cotton Bowl doesn't qualify as "big game" status so I expect Bob to have his boys ready to play. Just my thoughts.

Another tough one for me. I don't think Oklahoma is anything special, and both defenses can be had. Lean over but Meehhh - this game. Feels like last night all over again.

Prior to the last 2 years there was a history of Heisman winner's teams not covering in bowl games. Could the super frosh be a little distracted?

Kingsbury has called plays for Sumlins squad since 2008 going back to the Houston years. He was also the QBs coach meaning who is there to settle the heisman winning freshman after his new found celebrity? That's a huge loss IMO.

Thinking from the "what has the public seen" perspective.....Heisman winning super freshman with a great nickname who just went into bama and beat satan on his own turf vs bob stoops who can't win a bowl game to save his life. The sooners who got beat at home vs the same K State team we saw get their butts kicked last night on national TV. Lots of public reasons to like AtM here and yet the line has dropped steadily.

Kingsbury has a huge effect on this game, but mckinney has been with Sumlin as well and is a former wr.

Oklahoma has huge issues with stopping the run. Both teams should move the chains to set up big plays.

I know its bowl season and a defense can look unreal all of a sudden after being middle of pack during reg. Season but both have a lot to play for and recruit against each other with close proximity. I personally think points will be scored. Both have solid olines too

From a motivation perspective will OU be up for this? They got passed over for a BCS game by NIU who went in and embarrassed themselves. OUs consolation prize? A long trip to Dallas.

I think that OU will be more comfortable in a shootout that comes down to the wire than A&M. This has been the OU model at the end of the year.
Gonna take a bit of credit away from A&M regarding the Bama win as it came a week after LSU game for the Tide who usually plays Cowbell after LSU.

HUNT I lean over as well here but don't you think it seems too obvious? Put together these two averaged over 80 ppg.

Kingsbury's departure shouldn't be overlooked. That's going to be an issue for Aggy and OU's D should be well prepared for the spread O. Don't think Aggy will have much success stopping OU. Also, imo,the Cotton Bowl doesn't qualify as "big game" status so I expect Bob to have his boys ready to play. Just my thoughts.

excellent points. but OU shoulda been prepared vs the spread pretty much every week. i agree that this is a great spot for OU, being the underdog and what not, but i just have more faith in tamu by 7 than i do in OU at all. and unlike others on here, really think manziel comes to shine, and landry doesnt.

Yeah it does look obvious cds I think a few things are in play with the line..

Rivalry game.

Layoff.

Kingsbury and hesiman qb struggles

I try and not worry about it. I'll just tag it again if it drops under 72 or gets to 71.

A&M is very weak against the pass, which is what he saw in the La Tech game. OU will no doubt exploit that weakness with Landry Jones. We also know the way to beat OU is with a dual threat QB that will throw the ball deep. That is exactly what A&M has at QB this year from Johnny Manziel. I know some of you guys are gun shy from last nights under, but these two teams play fast, especially A&M. There will be a ton more plays and scoring opportunities and this game should be in the 80s when it is all said and done. Good luck!

total is only up 1/2 a pt from its open. If this were a regular season game and the line came out a week before the game, I think the total would get bet up more than 1/2 a point and thats with another 40 something games on the card. Opened at 71.5 hasnt gone higher then 73 and has been hovering around 72. If this game is in oct. I see it going over but here I think it stays under

A&M is very weak against the pass, which is what he saw in the La Tech game. OU will no doubt exploit that weakness with Landry Jones. We also know the way to beat OU is with a dual threat QB that will throw the ball deep. That is exactly what A&M has at QB this year from Johnny Manziel. I know some of you guys are gun shy from last nights under, but these two teams play fast, especially A&M. There will be a ton more plays and scoring opportunities and this game should be in the 80s when it is all said and done. Good luck!

:shake:

:shake:

Some cool interesting tidbits:

Yds per pass att could be VERY key in this matchup. In aTm's 2 losses (LSU & Fla) they were held under 7ypa (4.9 & 6.5) respectively. In all other games above 7ypa (excluding FCS game). OU in its last 3gms has allowed 7+ypa.

Hitting on what Hunt mentioned, the running game!!

In OU's 2 losses the opponent went over 200yds rushing. 3 of OU's last 4they've allowed 200+ (wVU 458!!) and they've allowed 4+UPC 5 of the last 6

in A&m's 2 losses they rushed for 134 each time & 3.53ypc. A&M has cracked 200+ 8x & 300+ 2x (BOTH in SEC play).

some telling stuff

A few scattered thoughts:

First, I don’t anticipate Kingsbury’s absence having much of an impact on A &M. I don’t want to discredit Kingsbury because I think he did a great job, but this is Sumlin’s offense, and he is certainly capable of taking over the reins if necessary. Additionally, Kingsbury was announced as Tech’s HC on Dec. 12, and he probably made Sumlin aware of his departure days before that. A&M has had a minimum of three weeks to prepare without him. Granted, once the game begins 3 weeks of prep is no substitute for experience with making in game decisions/adjustments, but again, Sumlin won’t be asleep at the wheel if the new guy can’t hack it.

Second, the motivation angle for both teams is interesting. Big 12 bad blood and recruiting battles should ensure that both staffs are motivated. Further, it’s Manziel’s first game as a Heisman winner. Is he fat and happy or out to prove he deserved it? You have to think that OU’s staff has used the Heisman as motivation for their defense too. I think both teams will want this one.

As for actual X and Os, I watched a scrappy but thin on talent, Ole Miss team virtually play A&M to a draw. Ole Miss’ DC used the LSU blue print to game plan for Manziel, but the Rebs didn’t have the talent or depth to shut him down as effectively as the Tigers did. OU is undoubtedly more talented than Ole Miss and has had weeks to scheme for Manziel.

A question for guys familiar with OU’s defensive schemes: are they blitz heavy, more zone or man coverage, can they stop the run?

If you have to blitz to pressure Manziel, it’s over. A & M’s O line is great, and Manziel obviously evades pressure as well as anyone in the country. As LSU showed, and to a lesser degree Ole Miss, the key is contain and spy. If you play man, A&M loves to play backyard ball and run off the coverage to allow Manziel to run for 10-15 yard chunks, which he somehow turn in to 25-30 yard chunks. If you zone them and play soft, the D line and backers have to be able to stop the run.

I lean A & M, but I think the margin is tight. As always, your thoughts, comments, and questions are appreciated.

You're leaving the biggest factor out: Gus in on play-by-play for Fox tonight. He mandates that there be a ton of scoring. :grin:

From a motivation perspective will OU be up for this? They got passed over for a BCS game by NIU who went in and embarrassed themselves. OUs consolation prize? A long trip to Dallas.

Stoops will have a JerryWorld-sized chip on his team's shoulder. Hearing all Johnny, all A&M, all the time. Good setup for Stoops.

Heisman winner has won the last 3 Bowls and is 3-4 SU overall since 2005.

Johnny Football in December...

Dec. 1: Oklahoma vs. TCU at Amon G. Carter Stadium, Fort Worth
Dec. 2: Philadelphia Eagles vs. Dallas Cowboys at Cowboys Stadium, Arlington
Dec. 5-6: Home Depot College Football Awards in Orlando, Fla.
Dec. 7-8: Heisman Trophy Ceremony in New York City
Dec. 10: The Late Show with David Letterman, New York City
Dec. 14: Texas A&M football awards banquet
Dec. 16: Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Los Angeles
Dec. 19: Philadelphia 76ers vs. Houston Rockets at Toyota Center, Houston
Dec. 20: Miami Heat vs. Dallas Mavericks at American Airlines Center, Dallas
Dec. 23: New Orleans Saints vs. Dallas Cowboys at Cowboys Stadium, Arlington
Dec. 24: Golf outing with the Jonas Brothers, Joe and Nick Jonas
ManzielFox2.jpg

Good ole Lang:
75 Dime Texas A&M

Lang's Bowl record the past 2 seasons combined...

6-23-1 (21%) -1,131.5 DIMES

That LA Tech reference was a great one! They couldn't stop them for a hot second. Yes, A&M will score and run the ball. But will they always score? They might have to. And motivational wise, this is. Huge game . Heisman vs a 1st Rd QB. Many people are viewing this as the 2nd best bowl game. I thought OU did well against ND's spread passing/running attack... I expect a few key stops and a OU win. I'm due to be flat out wrong as I've been extremely lucky this bowl season.

Good ole Lang:
75 Dime Texas A&M

Lang's Bowl record the past 2 seasons combined...

6-23-1 (21%) -1,131.5 DIMES

But you got 'Mr Streaky' Trace Adams on OU.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hjRp_gd_LOc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

people really think Ore won because of home/away splits?

i prolly know next to nothing then or my eyes lie. I think Ore won because of team speed on both sides of the ball, because they had momentum right away from returning opening kickoff, because K St came away with no points on last series before half, then allowed a TD before half, also thought Ore D played huge and in the 2nd half made Klein a passer only (which i learned he can not do).

Ducks the better team and won the game. Why was this even mentioned when some lost $ on the game? forum etiquette or show off?

Back