Talk Me Off This Growing Apathy In Response To the NIL

Frank Costanza

Co-Inventor of the Man's Bra
I get that part of it is just bringing over the table what was going on under. And the kids deserve some comp in for what they're doing, above and beyond the value of the educational. My school is front and center at setting the landscape for what is going to be one of the nicest free agency packages out there. And it's just going to build unless some sort of cap is instituted.

And talent's going follow the money in many cases. So be thrilled, right? Not so much.

Like all of you, I love the sport more than any other. But I love it a lot less than I did a year ago.

Way off the mark?

I get that part of it is just bringing over the table what was going on under. And the kids deserve some comp in for what they're doing, above and beyond the value of the educational. My school is front and center at setting the landscape for what is going to be one of the nicest free agency packages out there. And it's just going to build unless some sort of cap is instituted.

And talent's going follow the money in many cases. So be thrilled, right? Not so much.

Like all of you, I love the sport more than any other. But I love it a lot less than I did a year ago.

Way off the mark?
Players deserve it

Financial backers will own it

ASU should become a hotbed for recruits that are overvalued

It will need to be governed better at some point. The NCAA can't do it, likely get the government involved.

There are a lot of good things about it, when done properly. Much like gambling in the USA being legalized is a good thing, there is not enough oversight to be done properly.

Some schools are going by the book, others realize there are no consequences right now and it's the wild wild west.

Can't wait to see how coaches navigate the culture issue and the haves and have nots on the team. I guess if a player isn't getting deals off the top and starts to really produce it's only a matter of time before he is banking.

Yes, the wild wild west.

Way off the mark?
This is the 1 thing that will ruin college sports. Money no matter how it’s shared is going to create more problems than people understand.
Imagine turning on College Gameday and watching segments on how revenue is being shared and the drama going with it. It’s no longer about the matchups but about the money which always seems to be the root of all evil.

This is the 1 thing that will ruin college sports. Money no matter how it’s shared is going to create more problems than people understand.
Imagine turning on College Gameday and watching segments on how revenue is being shared and the drama going with it. It’s no longer about the matchups but about the money which always seems to be the root of all evil.

Yes, this is where I am.

I would have preferred a percentage of the TV money being siphoned off and given to the players instead.
Therein lies the thing though, Cam is the first to come to mind

It's been happening for decades under the table, how do you govern it? We're talking serious money laundering here and dare I say it falls under the Patriot Act to track this?

It will need to be governed better at some point. The NCAA can't do it, likely get the government involved.

There are a lot of good things about it, when done properly. Much like gambling in the USA being legalized is a good thing, there is not enough oversight to be done properly.

Some schools are going by the book, others realize there are no consequences right now and it's the wild wild west.
It’s that. Tom Lugunbill(sp) ESPN recruiting guy nailed it with Kellerman this afternoon I’ll try to find it.

Also, there needs to be portal timelines and sharpen transfer rules back to something agreeable to both sides. Eventually we will see school/sponsorship lawsuits and problems sooner than later. Like my guy can’t talk to you because I’m at UGA we are a Coco Cola school etc

It’s that. Tom Lugunbill(sp) ESPN recruiting guy nailed it with Kellerman this afternoon I’ll try to find it.

Also, there needs to be portal timelines and sharpen transfer rules back to something agreeable to both sides. Eventually we will see school/sponsorship lawsuits and problems sooner than later. Like my guy can’t talk to you because I’m at UGA we are a Coco Cola school etc
Wait til shoe and uni contracts come into play

Can't wait to see how coaches navigate the culture issue and the haves and have nots on the team. I guess if a player isn't getting deals off the top and starts to really produce it's only a matter of time before he is banking.

Yes, the wild wild west.
And let’s be honest and you were. The TAMU stuff is just obviously blatant. Hey, I’m just jealous if 8-4 gets you that kinda class hehe

I don't think it's going to be as bad as people are making it out to be. It will normalize after the first year or two. The businesses that sponsor the players don't have unlimited budgets, and if turns out to not be a good enough ROI, the money will go elsewhere. I'm sure these boosters love their teams, but I'm pretty sure they love their money more. And NIL deals still pale in comparison to NFL contracts and endorsements, so there will still be reasons to go to the programs that can develop you the best rather than just get you the most lucrative NIL deal. The vast majority of student athletes that benefit won't be taking home 6-7 figures, but they'll have enough money to have fun while in college. It's going to seem crazy for the next couple of seasons and then it will fade into the background like everything else.

The biggest issue as I see it is that there are 50 different versions of this law, so in this case, I can advocate for government intervention so that every school has to follow the same rules. The NCAA had a chance to get out in front of this, and unsurprisingly, they failed massively. They are a non-factor moving forward, at least as it pertains to football. The overall landscape won't change much, other than the gap between the schools that care about football will separate themselves even further from those who don't.

If the sport wasn't already on a bad path, this pretty much eliminated it from having a shot of being good.

I gave up on the sport, as I promised I would when they started paying players.

I will watch the professionals on Sunday and the high school kids (until they start getting paid too).

Apathy seems like a good word to describe my feelings as well.

I don't have any ethical issues with what is happening but I find it all to be uninteresting and subsequently my emotional investment in the sport is the lowest it's ever been.

This is the least I've ever cared about signing day. Between the NIL and the musical chairs act with coaches and the portal...I just don't really care.

I don't think it's going to be as bad as people are making it out to be. It will normalize after the first year or two. The businesses that sponsor the players don't have unlimited budgets, and if turns out to not be a good enough ROI, the money will go elsewhere. I'm sure these boosters love their teams, but I'm pretty sure they love their money more. And NIL deals still pale in comparison to NFL contracts and endorsements, so there will still be reasons to go to the programs that can develop you the best rather than just get you the most lucrative NIL deal. The vast majority of student athletes that benefit won't be taking home 6-7 figures, but they'll have enough money to have fun while in college. It's going to seem crazy for the next couple of seasons and then it will fade into the background like everything else.

The biggest issue as I see it is that there are 50 different versions of this law, so in this case, I can advocate for government intervention so that every school has to follow the same rules. The NCAA had a chance to get out in front of this, and unsurprisingly, they failed massively. They are a non-factor moving forward, at least as it pertains to football. The overall landscape won't change much, other than the gap between the schools that care about football will separate themselves even further from those who don't.
We are still talking about an overwhelmingly underprivileged group of young men. Let's not sugar coat it. They will jump at the bag, and be broke before they know it. Gonna get that taste before they learn finance. Taxes will eat them up. Bust, before fraft type scenerio.

• Sad
Reactions: KJ
We are still talking about an overwhelmingly underprivileged group of young men. Let's not sugar coat it. They will jump at the bag, and be broke before they know it. Gonna get that taste before they learn finance. Taxes will eat them up. Bust, before fraft type scenerio.
If the government is really going to get involved they should implement some sort of financial ed for these guys to suit up. For the good of not only the economy but for societal reasons. Personal finance isn't taught remotely in public schools as it is, learning it really isn't an option for many people.

If the government is really going to get involved they should implement some sort of financial ed for these guys to suit up. For the good of not only the economy but for societal reasons. Personal finance isn't taught remotely in public schools as it is, learning it really isn't an option for many people.
That’s for the schools to do in my opinion.

If I’m a coach/AD, I’m sending a guy with these kids if the request it and part of my pitch

That’s for the schools to do in my opinion.

If I’m a coach/AD, I’m sending a guy with these kids if the request it and part of my pitch
I just don't see any incentive for the institution to do it

I guess if it's a state university they can withhold funding but we also know a ton of people profit from lack of financial education

Way off the mark?

Right on the mark, imo. Lot of things about CFB that i do not care for these days as far as off the field stuff goes, inc the playoff expansion to 12 teams if it happens.

Still love the on field product more than any other sport.

Just develop a minor league like the NBA's D League, MLB AAA, or the NHL's juniors & be done with it. I'd rather watch a slightly watered-down version of CFB than deal with the crap NIL & the new & improved transfer portal is going to create in coming seasons. One overlooked aspect of the "legalized" money being thrown around now is that it's all going to a select handful of kids in what's supposed to be a team sport. How long will the special team guys, 2nd string defenders & 3rd string QB's keep buying in when that starting QB, or stud DE decide practice rules don't apply to them, so they throw a tantrum, threaten to enter the portal on a weekly basis & drive off in their new Lamborgini?

I don't think it's going to be as bad as people are making it out to be. It will normalize after the first year or two. The businesses that sponsor the players don't have unlimited budgets, and if turns out to not be a good enough ROI, the money will go elsewhere. I'm sure these boosters love their teams, but I'm pretty sure they love their money more.

More than anything, at Texas at least, they love their egos more than their money, ROI or anything else.

And budgets for them? A concern that doesn't register as these deals will still be small potatoes for them but register big every time they look in the mirror.

You're right on the mark. I feel the same as you do. College football has been my favorite sport my entire life, but this year, for the first time ever, I like it less and have lost at least some interest in it.

And what we are seeing so far is going to look like child's play in a couple of years. I see some loopholes in this that are going to be exploited for sure by the big programs.

One thing I guarantee we will see--a big school, let's pick Georgia at random, can sign only 25, but under current rules they can go to the next five they couldn't fit under the cap and tell them, hey, one of my players is now coach at E Carolina (can be any Group of five school), go there, we'll fix you up with a NIL deal, work hard, gain some size and strength, and we''ll bring you back in a couple of years

But the worse problem is the way the SEC--and I include Oklahoma and Texas in this--is intent on getting ALL the playoff money. They will take every cent and shut out all Group of Five schools and as many of the Power Five schools as they can if they can get away with it. The idea of going to 12 teams has NOTHING to do with allowing more Group of Five teams in, it is a way to get as many SEC teams in as possible.

The media didn't seem to pick up on it, but when they met last week to try and work on future playoff plans the SEC commissioner said, "we don't need the Group of Five schools to vote, we can do this ourselves."

The other Power Five conferences know what the SEC is trying to do--that's why the committee refused to do anything--and the reason they banded together last summer

It's disgusting to me to see the guys who should be protecting college football doing everything they can to exploit it.

I agree with dg84--let the schools that are so money hungry they insist on exploiting college football take the money and run a professional league for all the gigantic egos we see now with some college players, and let the rest of the schools go back to college football

I'll be watching the ones who use college players, there to get an education, and the SEC and the money schools can shove it up their ass as far as I'm concerned

Last edited:
I agree with dg84--let the schools that are so money hungry they insist on exploiting college football take the money and run a professional league for all the gigantic egos we see now with some college players, and let the rest of the schools go back to college football
Add coaches, ADs and boosters to the ego list, there's so much to go around it's disgusting.

Back