T minus 24 hours to trade deadline

Santacapper

Pretty much a regular
Playoff races aside, there will be trades on Mar. 4 and based on the discussions taking place now we've compiled a list of the Top 10 most interesting trade possibilities.
No. 10 - Alex Kovalev. NHL executives are curious about his future in Montreal. If Bob Gainey wants to cut ties, there are teams willing to consider the risk.
No. 9 - The Oilers are believed to be one team interested in Kovalev and sources say Edmonton forward Erik Cole could be worked into a package as the Oilers search for a top line forward.
No. 8 - Chris Pronger. How the Anaheim Ducks play over the next two weeks will determine whether Pronger is truly in the mix. The most likely scenario is that the Ducks hold on to Pronger for their playoff push and reconsider trading him at the draft.
No. 7 - Ryan Whitney. With the return of Sergei Gonchar, the Penguins have a stockpile of blueliners and league sources say Whitney could fetch the quality forward Ray Shero is seeking.
No. 6 - Olli Jokinen. The Phoenix centre is available but NHL GMs wonder about a 10-year player who has never once been in the playoffs.
No. 5 - Jay Bouwmeester. The Panthers have talked to a number of teams and has a variety of trade scenarios to consider, but it's possible Bouwmeester has a change of heart and stays.
No. 4 - Nik Antropov may headline the parade of players out of Toronto. Brian Burke has established the asking price for Antropov - a first round draft pick.
No. 3 - Philadelphia prospect James van Riemsdyk. The University of New Hampshire forward, picked second in 2007, has been linked to Atlanta in a deal that would see a goalie going to the Flyers.
No. 2 - Thrashers goalie Kari Lehtonen is of interest to the Flyers. If Atlanta GM Don Waddell continues to rebuild, swapping Lehtonen for a prospect such as Van Riemsdyk would have to be seriously considered.
No. 1 - Ryan Smyth. Colorada needs to cut payroll and Francois Giguere is talking to teams about Smyth. The Avs won't ask Smyth to waive his no-trade unless there's a decent deal tabled. Teams are working on their offers now.
These are big names that may require big deals for teams to pull the trigger. However, this list of 10 present some powerful possibilities.

The Names

Jay Bouwmeester

bouwmeester_sm_57922.jpg
Team: Florida Panthers
Position: Defence
Contract Status: UFA on July 1
The Latest: Bouwmeester is key to the Panthers' playoff chances. But if he chooses the open market over a contract extension before March 4, the Panthers may not have a choice other than to throw up the for sale sign and let the bidding begin. He was not aware of any recent negotiations, saying he had not "really talked to anybody in the last couple days." - National Post
Vincent Lecavalier

lecavalier_sm_45429.jpg
Team: Tampa Bay Lightning
Position: Centre
Contract Status: 11-year, $85 million extension begins July 1
The Latest: The trading of Lecavalier remains an option that will be considered. To what extent it will be considered will be based on many factors that include: how the team is playing, how Lecavalier is playing, what the offers are from other teams, and in what direction ownership decides to take this franchise in the long run. All of those will get weighed and measured on a weekly basis between now and the trade deadline. - TSN
Marian Gaborik

gab-second_66974.jpg
Team: Minnesota Wild
Position: Left Wing
The Latest: When Gaborik underwent hip surgery on January 5, the thought was he would start skating within six weeks, aiming for a return to the ice in 10-14 weeks. Gaborik says he's about a week ahead of schedule, and he's hoping to skate as soon as Feb. 9. - Minneapolis Star Tribune
Tomas Kaberle

Kaberle-s_44965.jpg
Team: Toronto Maple Leafs
Contract Status: Signed for two more years at $4.25M per season
The Latest: The defenceman gave the Maple Leafs a list of ten teams that he would be willing to accept trades to. He would like to remain in the Eastern Conference if a deal is going to be made, but the 30-year-old's first choice would still be to remain with the Maple Leafs. - TSN
Chris Pronger

cp2_53500.jpg
Team: Anaheim Ducks
Contract Status: Signed for one more year at $6.25 million
The Latest: Pronger could be on the move if the Ducks' window for being a playoff contender closes. His trade status also depends on the direction they want to take going forward and if captain Scott Niedermayer plans to return next season. - Orange County Register
Nik Antropov

NA_2_40925.jpg
Team: Toronto Maple Leafs
Position: Right Wing
The Latest: Toronto has a plethora of players considered to be in play and Nik Antropov is among those most talked about. If the Leafs are offered a draft pick, or suitable prospect, they'll trade him rather than try and negotiate an extension. - TSN
Keith Tkachuk

keith-t_66987.jpg
Team: St. Louis Blues
Position: Left Wing
The Latest: Tkachuk offers experience, grit and offence to any team. Considering the St. Louis Blues' struggles this season, he is once again a trade target. His contract expires at the end of the season, which also makes him affordable as a rental players. Pro-rated, a team would need only to have $940,000 of cap room to fit in Tkachuk. - TSN/USA Today
Chris Neil

ruutu_sm_76085.jpg
Team: Ottawa Senators
The Latest: Neil balances a measure of skill and toughness many teams are seeking. Neil is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in July and the Senators may not have the cap space to re-sign him.
Colby Armstrong

armstrong-sm_80730.jpg
Team: Atlanta Thrashers
Contract Status: RFA on July 1
The Latest: According to TSN's Darren Dreger, Armstrong has attracted interest this season, including the Penguins who would like to see him reunited with captain Sidney Crosby.
Scottie Upshall

PHI_upshall_sm_78800.jpg
Team: Philadelphia Flyers
Contract Status: RFA on July 1
The Latest: Upshall, who still has plenty of upside, may be tough to part with. However, he's a restricted free agent this summer and is expecting a raise on his $1.25 million salary.
Michael Nylander

nylander_sm_76125.jpg
Team: Washington Capitals
Position: Centre
Contract Status: Signed for two more years with a $4.875M cap hit
The Latest: Nylander has two years remaining on his contract and he eats up about $4.8 million in cap space, so he's a tough sell. But for a team eager to add some offence late in the season, Nylander may be the answer.
Niclas Havelid

havelid_sm_54024.jpg
Team: Atlanta Thrashers
The Latest: Havelid has been a great defensive defenceman for a team that has struggled in its own end. With his contract expiring in the summer, he's an attractive option for a playoff team.

All photos by the Canadian Press and Getty Images

Dominic Moore is another Toronto name who is garnering alot of interest
as a leafs fan I hope we can lock him up for another 2 years...he's finally playing up to his potential here in Toronto...him and blake have been clicking together...blakes production is all correlated to dominic!

I've heard Burke and Moore's agent has been talking

as a leafs fan I hope we can lock him up for another 2 years...he's finally playing up to his potential here in Toronto...him and blake have been clicking together...blakes production is all correlated to dominic!

I've heard Burke and Moore's agent has been talking

im torn... Im usually of the opinion of he's a waiver guy for a reason etc... and while his stock is so high, try to get something for him worthwhile and not make the same mistakes made in the past

Blake is clicking with him no doubt, but how long will Blake be around in the long term plans?

Not so much.

Legace still out there, eh?

Thing is I haven't read a thing here about getting help. I can stand Ty but not sure abouta playoff run.

Ozzie has been atrocious.

I've been looking forward to this thread. We should have a nice discussion going in the coming weeks. Ill go indepth when I get home from work but I know Cole, Tkatchuk and Pronger are brought up a lot here in boston. Antropov and leopold less than the 3 above. Kaberle from toronto gets some mention too. Bottom line is the b's need another solid defenceman and a big 3rd line lw that will produce.

Kaberle would be a nice fit as a puck moving defensemen in Bean town...

He's put a list of 10 teams to Burke on where he'd waive his no trade clause to. No word on the teams though.

Kind of surprised to see Bouwmeister still mentioned, think the Panthers might be buyers come the 4th.

Some pretty obvious clear cut sellers though

im torn... Im usually of the opinion of he's a waiver guy for a reason etc... and while his stock is so high, try to get something for him worthwhile and not make the same mistakes made in the past

Blake is clicking with him no doubt, but how long will Blake be around in the long term plans?
I'm sorta in a dilemma too, but wit blakes contract I'm not sure any team right now would be taking it on, unless they are desperate for a player like Blake..hence why I say keep Moore around for 2 years..he's gritty hard working player..if Toronto had an MVP award this year Moore would receive it...if blake and moore continue to click their stocks can only go higher..Moore also brings a leadership to this team that is sorely needed...

Wonder when Legace will come back on re-entry waivers

I've been looking forward to this thread. We should have a nice discussion going in the coming weeks. Ill go indepth when I get home from work but I know Cole, Tkatchuk and Pronger are brought up a lot here in boston. Antropov and leopold less than the 3 above. Kaberle from toronto gets some mention too. Bottom line is the b's need another solid defenceman and a big 3rd line lw that will produce.
Unless the Leafs get a knock your socks off deal for Kaberle, I don't see him being moved...He's a player you can still have for building the future, in fact..during the off season doesn't his no-trade disappear for the summer and Burke can trade to all teams as opposed to just the ones that were on Kabby's list?..

Unless the Leafs get a knock your socks off deal for Kaberle, I don't see him being moved...He's a player you can still have for building the future, in fact..during the season doesn't his no-trade disappear for the summer and Burke can trade to all teams as opposed to just the ones that were on Kabby's list?..

if the Leafs miss the playoffs (given) the no trade clause is void from draft day to about Mid august.

if the Leafs miss the playoffs (given) the no trade clause is void from draft day to about Mid august.
god how i wish that kaberle for carter and pick trade woulda happened...still feeling the repercussions of JFJ

Bar...we here in boston will send you manny fernandez and patrice bergeron for zetteberg. Get back to me so we can iron the details out

Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli was just on weei sportsradio, emphasized the need for more size at d and a left shooting winger. Said there is between 60-75% chance a deal gets made. He also implied Tuuka Rask will be the backup goaltender next year. I doubt manny gets moved before the end of the season but all signs point toward Cole and Pronger.

Cole is risky, ive watched a lot of Edmonton games this year and he just doesn't seem to have it anymore.

Pronger if moved is going to help someone a lot.

I think the Canucks make a play for Gaborik

There has been talk all season that Gaborik wants to be reunited with Demitra in Vancouver next year and with the fact that he has missed so much of the season I don't think Minnesota will get much for him.

Is Cole washed up or is his poor performance solely because he plays in edmonton? That's the decision teams will have to make. Can he turn it around if put on an exciting team?

Is Cole washed up or is his poor performance solely because he plays in edmonton? That's the decision teams will have to make. Can he turn it around if put on an exciting team?
ehhh it's a little bit of both...at times this year cole has looked brilliant for the oil and then he has this disappearing act where he's just a skater...bringing him to an exciting or high flying team might do the trick, just think injuries have finally caught up to him

I think the Canucks make a play for Gaborik

There has been talk all season that Gaborik wants to be reunited with Demitra in Vancouver next year and with the fact that he has missed so much of the season I don't think Minnesota will get much for him.
gaborik is supposed to return end of march? but sundin, demitra and gaborik sounds pretty nasty and with Sundin heating up and demitra benefiting from Sundin :cheers:

Sources out here in Vancouver say that the Canucks are looking to add a high quality winger to the team and they are willing to do alot for it, only prospect not giving up is Hodgson anything else is fair game.

Sources out here in Vancouver say that the Canucks are looking to add a high quality winger to the team and they are willing to do alot for it, only prospect not giving up is Hodgson anything else is fair game.
damn

nucks are serious about a cup run this year..if thats the case an they are loooking for a high quality winger...gaborik becomes a backup plan (imo)

he's good, when he's healthy..and until he can show me he's healthy i would not give up high prospects for him

wonder how cheap the canucks can get colby armstrong from the thrashers

The problem is that after Hodgson and Schnieder their system is weak.

Grabner is a toss up at this point, Patrick White is still on the 3rd or 4th line of his University team and Yann Suave is at least 2-3 years away.

Only valuable asset that the Canucks would be willing to trade is Raymond.

Schnieder doesn't get moved until Luongo gets re-signed.

me thinks you can add tkachuk to that list :)

I was thinking the same thing but I just read that Tkachuk has spoken about demanding a contract extension to waive his "no movement" clause. I know that pretty much kills any chance of him coming to boston unfortunately.

Sources say the Bruins have been speaking to the Avs and a deal for Jordan Leopold is likely in the near future. Obviously not the Pronger type I was hoping for but he will provide more depth on the blue line. Bruins likely to give up a 3rd or 4th round pick and someone like Matt Lashoff.

is it a given every year? :smiley_acbe:

You're better of traveling to Church/Wellesley and get some loving from a tranny than spending useless time on the Maple Laughs

I was thinking the same thing but I just read that Tkachuk has spoken about demanding a contract extension to waive his "no movement" clause. I know that pretty much kills any chance of him coming to boston unfortunately.

Sources say the Bruins have been speaking to the Avs and a deal for Jordan Leopold is likely in the near future. Obviously not the Pronger type I was hoping for but he will provide more depth on the blue line. Bruins likely to give up a 3rd or 4th round pick and someone like Matt Lashoff.
sigh...leopold isn't something the bruins need in my eyes...kubina in their d core would be nice but the price might be too much...and the part bout keith asking for a no movement is a joke..that man is the definition of a a rental player

They need depth at defense. Plain and simple. For what they will give up for Leopold it is beneficial. It's not like this is a big peice needed to finnish off the puzzle. Their defense is top notch due to the system Julien plays. Obviously Pronger would be much better but they just need depth as it is. A bigger winger is their main focus i think. The SJ game exposed how a bigger stronger team can wear down a team.

Ball is in Montreal's court for the Vinny L deal to get done. Could be done as early as Saturday and will help take the focus off the other story up there.

Cole is still telling people he expects to be dealt to Boston. Another possible weekend deal.

Pure speculation from me on this one, but Kevin Regan was called up from the Alaska Aces to the Providence Bruins last night. Possible trade involving Manny Fernandez? Will Tukka Rask become the backup to Timmy Thomas?

For the first time in more than a decade the Ottawa Senators will approach the NHL Trade Deadline as sellers.
General Manager Bryan Murray got a head start on revamping his club with the additions of Mike Comrie and Chris Campoli. The deal addressed two of the Senators needs; a top six forward and a puck moving defenceman.
Now Murray will look to add prospects and draft picks. Unless pending unrestricted free agents Chris Neil and Filip Kuba come to terms with Ottawa on new contracts before March 4th, expect to those two to be holding change of address cards. Kuba, however, does have a no trade clause in his contract and he will have to agree to any deal.
According to Murray the list of unavailable players is a lot shorter than the list of available guys. Murray said he won't be asking captain Daniel Alfredsson, defenceman Chris Phillips, sniper Dany Heatley or two-way centre Mike Fisher to waive their no trade clauses. That leaves the remaining players open for discussion, including playmaker Jason Spezza. Although Spezza's no trade clause doesn't kick in until July 1st, don't expect the Senators number one centre to be on the move.
Instead of building for a playoff run Bryan Murray is now expected to be busy on trade day retooling his Sens team for next season.
Files from TSN Reporter Brent Wallace were used in this report

With a firm grip on the third seed in the Western Conference, the Calgary Flames are in the position of buyer heading towards the March 4 trade deadline.
A second-line centreman and/or strong puck-moving defenceman would certainly help their cause of reaching the ultimate goal of winning the Stanley Cup this season.
However, those wishes may have turned into necessities as Calgary suffered a rash of injuries this week: winger Rene Bourque (high ankle sprain), centre Daymond Langkow (bruised hand) and defenceman Mark Giordano (upper body) all went down to injury.
There are five players that are considered to be untouchable and after that, anything is possible. But perhaps the most tantalizing asset the Flames could part with is Matthew Lombardi, who has yet to reach his full potential but has a relatively cheap price tag and has been playing his best hockey of the season in recent weeks.
The Flames don't have a lot of wiggle room under the cap and they already have over $40 million committed to the cap next season. And to make things more complicated, general manager Darryl Sutter does not believe in acquiring rental players, which puts the Flames organization in an interesting position heading into trade deadline.
Files from TSN Reporter Jermain Franklin were used in this report.

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>// <![CDATA[if (document.getElementById('tsnCallout')) {var divText = document.getElementById('tsnCallout').innerHTML;var flashvars = {};flashvars.callOutText = divText;var params = {};params.wmode = 'transparent';params.allowscriptaccess = 'always';params.scale = 'noscale';params.salign = 'tl';var attributes = {};swfobject.embedSWF('/media/flash/headlines/storyCallout.swf', 'tsnCallout', '340', '1', '8.0.0', false, flashvars, params, attributes);}// ]]></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window['OneClipVideoListRenderer']) {OneClipVideoListRenderer.SetDefaultPath('feature');OneClipVideoListRenderer.ClearClips();OneClipVideoListRenderer.AddClip({image:"http://images.ctvdigital.com/images/pub2upload/9/2009_2_22/flamespre_022209a.jpg",title:"Fight to the Finish",description:"Hoping for a deep playoff run, the Flames may be looking to deal at the deadline. But who will they move?",clipid:142550});OneClipVideoListRenderer.AddClip({image:"http://images.ctvdigital.com/images/pub2upload/9/2009_2_2/fantasy-hockey-update-logo.jpg",title:"Fantasy Hockey Update",description:"An Ottawa newcomer is off to a hot start and find out which Habs goalie you should start tonight.",clipid:143192});}</SCRIPT>

With an 8-2 record in the month of February, and sitting fifth in the Western Conference standings - just three points ahead of the ninth place Anaheim Ducks - the Vancouver Canucks view themselves as a buyer as the NHL trade deadline approaches.
They have approximately $2.5 million of space remaining under the cap which, pro-rated over a whole season, will not be an issue if the club is looking to acquire a front-line rental player.
The team's biggest need at this point seems to be a puck-moving defenceman; somebody who can potentially anchor the power play. But a number of teams around the league are looking for that type of player and there are very few of them available.
The Canucks had also been in the market for a top-six forward but, given the play of Ryan Kesler and Alex Burrows since moving up to the top two lines, that may not be as pressing a need. But by moving those two players up, the third line has become significantly weaker, so a depth-type of checking player may be someone the Canucks are looking for.
So, who might Vancouver be willing to part with?
Although he will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, it is highly unlikely that defenceman Mattias Ohlund will be moved, given the number of minutes he eats up along the blueline.
A player who might see some action is winger Mason Raymond. Projected to be a top-six forward coming into this season, the speedy Raymond has struggled of late and has been in and out of the Canucks' lineup in the month of February.
The team has all of its draft picks in play with the exception of a third round pick this year and a second round pick next year, but given the small window the team has with this season's roster, the Canucks will not be looking to move a first round draft pick.
Files from TSN Reporter Farhan Lalji were used in this report.

The Pittsburgh Penguins have cleared up a bit of their log jam along their blueline as they have traded Ryan Whitney to the Anaheim Ducks for Chris Kunitz and Eric Tangradi.
The 26-year old Whitney was a vital piece of the Penguins' Stanley Cup run last year; however foot surgery caused him to miss the first 31 games of this season. He has 2 goals and 11 assists in 28 games for Pittsburgh this year.
The Boston-native is one of the better puck moving defencemen in the league and should be a big boost to the Ducks' power play. He became deemed surplus goods when fellow defenceman and Penguins' primary powerplay quarterback Sergei Gonchar returned from a shoulder injury.
Whitney is in the second year of a six-year contract he signed with the Penguins last season. He was chosen fifth overall by the Penguins in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.
In Kunitz, the Penguins will be getting an offensive-minded player who won the Stanley Cup in 2007. After campaigns where he put up 60 and then 50 points, the 29-year old Regina-native has 16 goals and 19 assists this season. He has spent the majority of his four NHL seasons with Anaheim.
Tangradi, who just turned 20, is having a fine season with the OHL's Belleville Bulls. In 52 games, he has 38 goals and 87 points. He was drafted by the Ducks in the second round of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.
Both the Penguins and Ducks are in tight battles for post-season berths. Anaheim has 65 points and is in a logjam with three other teams for last two playoff spots in the Western Conference. Pittsburgh, the defending conference champions, finds itself 10th in the East, two points behind Buffalo for the final playoff spot.

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>// <![CDATA[if (document.getElementById('tsnCallout')) {var divText = document.getElementById('tsnCallout').innerHTML;var flashvars = {};flashvars.callOutText = divText;var params = {};params.wmode = 'transparent';params.allowscriptaccess = 'always';params.scale = 'noscale';params.salign = 'tl';var attributes = {};swfobject.embedSWF('/media/flash/headlines/storyCallout.swf', 'tsnCallout', '340', '1', '8.0.0', false, flashvars, params, attributes);}// ]]></SCRIPT>

Anything big going to happen you think?
I personally feel that this Trade deadline is going to be quiet..I haven't heard if the Wings are going to do anything, in fact not sure if tjhey really need anything...you hear anythingin detroit bar?

Lunch with Ansar: Red Wings will pursue depth defenseman at trade deadline

by George James Malik Wednesday February 25, 2009, 1:05 PM

Don't expect the Detroit Red Wings to make a blockbuster deal at the trade deadline. Ansar Khan believes that the additions of Ville Leino and Darren Helm have bolstered the fourth line to the point that the Wings need no forward reinforcements, and will consider adding a depth player on defense.

The MLive Insider suggests that the Red Wings possess forward depth in spades, but may need to find a cheap, reliable defenseman given Jonathan Ericsson's chronic wrist and knee injuries.

"They'll be looking to add a depth forward or defenseman, but there's no urgency, and they have little cap room," Khan says during his Lunch with Ansar Q&A. "I highly doubt they'll trade anyone off their roster, either. Couple of weeks ago, I would have said they need to upgrade their fourth line. But Leino has eased some concerns there and I think they would feel comfortable with Abdelkader if they had to bring him up.
"But now I'm thinking it would be better to get a depth defenseman, someone who will compete for the No. 6 spot. But there's no need to give up anything more than a mid-round pick or fringe prospect."

Lunch with Ansar: Red Wings will pursue depth defenseman at trade deadline

by George James Malik Wednesday February 25, 2009, 1:05 PM

Don't expect the Detroit Red Wings to make a blockbuster deal at the trade deadline. Ansar Khan believes that the additions of Ville Leino and Darren Helm have bolstered the fourth line to the point that the Wings need no forward reinforcements, and will consider adding a depth player on defense.

The MLive Insider suggests that the Red Wings possess forward depth in spades, but may need to find a cheap, reliable defenseman given Jonathan Ericsson's chronic wrist and knee injuries.

"They'll be looking to add a depth forward or defenseman, but there's no urgency, and they have little cap room," Khan says during his Lunch with Ansar Q&A. "I highly doubt they'll trade anyone off their roster, either. Couple of weeks ago, I would have said they need to upgrade their fourth line. But Leino has eased some concerns there and I think they would feel comfortable with Abdelkader if they had to bring him up.
"But now I'm thinking it would be better to get a depth defenseman, someone who will compete for the No. 6 spot. But there's no need to give up anything more than a mid-round pick or fringe prospect."
hrms interesting, I thought they'd posisble look at adding a goaltender...Conklin has been pretty good thisyear, but can you call him a number 1? Osgoode hasn't be quite that great, his save percentages matches with my leafs; Vesa toskala (heck i thoguth Chris should have retired last year on a winning note and leading his team)...I'm not sure if you can say Conklin is a number 1 but with that defence infront of him and the offensive power they possess...I guess they can make anyone look good :p

there are alot of names in play... depends on how teams believe the look going in.

There are 5-6 obvious sellers and the rest who knows...

There'll probably be a Hossa type deal of last year, teams looking to fill that hole etc.

It might not be mind blowing but there will be key moves... and I know it will be better than NBA D-day, lol

FROM THE TRIB-REVIEW:

The Penguins have traded defenseman Ryan Whitney to the Anaheim Ducks for winger Chris Kunitz and Chris Tangradi.
Whitney, 26, left the Penguins Wednesday to attend to a family emergency. He was in the second year of a six-year contract that totaled $24 million — a $4 million per year cap hit.
Kunitz, 29, is a 6-foot left-handed shot who has scored 81 goals in parts of four NHL seasons with Anaheim and Atlanta. He has 16 goals and 35 points in 62 games this season. He is signed through 2011-12 at a cap hit of $3.725 million.
Tangradi is a 20-year-old pound forward born in Philadelphia. Ther 6-3 left-handed shot was the 42nd player taken in the 2007 draft. He has 38 goals, 87 points and 57 penalty minutexs in 52 games with Belleville of the OHL.
The Penguins have placed forward Chris Minard on waivers to make room on the roster for Kunitz.

I was never a big fan of Whitney and the Pens have some depth at D. Not the big name winger Pens fans were hoping for, but they got a decent player and a top tier prospect. Let's see what else they decide to do before the deadline.

Anything big going to happen you think?

NHL trade deadlines are easily the most entertaining of the big sports in North America, I cant remember a deadline where there was less than 20 trades in the last 5 years.

And there are usually a couple big ones too, last year for example Hossa to the Penguins and Campbell to the Sharks.

The Pens need to do more than get rid of Whitney (who I actually liked, but probably never lived up to his potential).

yah nhl deadline is always crazy. haha partly because the rest of the season the gm's dont do much. they always seem make panic moves during this time, its kinda funny.

its pretty much a certain the bruins make at least one move. chiarelli keeps saying they want to add size up front (after they got knocked around by san jose) and a defenseman. the names are out their with cole and tkachuk. with kaberle and pronger not likely. i personally would like to see tkachuk come back to boston and help his hometown team win the cup.

havent watched that many pens games, but sundays game vs. washington whitney looked awful. hes not having a that solid of a year so far and im sure the pens dont feel hes worth the 4 mill per year. another salary dump, but kunitz is a pretty good addition.

as for the wings. i guess they could make a move for a goalie but with that team i think conklin is good enough to step up in the playoffs for them. its funny when they think all they need is to make a trade for someone who will compete for the 6th spot on d. haha yep they are that good.

Back