T minus 24 hours to trade deadline

knock Burkes socks off and the Wings can have Toskala...

although every scout has absolutely torn him a new one this season.

Yawn...

The Montreal Canadiens have traded Steve Begin to the Dallas Stars for defenceman Doug Janik.
The 30-year old Begin has played in 42 games this season for the Canadiens, and recorded 6 goals and 4 assists. He is in his 9th season, having begun his career with the Calgary Flames before being picked up off waivers by the Canadiens prior to the 2003-04 season.
The native of Trois-Rivieres, Quebec had a career-high of 23 points in 2005-06.
"Steve is a gritty, honest player with a very strong work ethic," said Stars Co-General Manager Les Jackson in a statement. "He's good on the penalty kill and he is a competitor in every sense of the word. We think he'll be a very good addition to our group as we continue to fight toward the playoffs."
Janik, 28, has spent the majority of the season with Rockford of the AHL. He has one assist and three penalty minutes in 13 games this year with Dallas. He started his career with the Buffalo Sabres, and played last season with the Tampa Bay Lightning.
"Throughout his five seasons in the Montreal Canadiens' jersey Steve Begin has been a proud competitor who dedicated himself to the team," said Canadiens general manager Bob Gainey in a statement. "As an organization, we are grateful to Steve for his play on the ice as well as his involvement in the Quebec community. We wish Steve the very best with the Dallas Stars. Doug Janik, obtained by the Canadiens in return for Bégin, is a solid defenseman who brings 159 games of experience at the NHL level and who will add depth to our group of defencemen."

Is it just me or did the Penguins come out of that Whitney deal as the winners?

Tangradi Kid is pretty damn good, and if Kunitz and SId can gel that might be the winger sid's been looking for...Whitney might excel in a new scenario

Canucks just picked up Ossi Vaananen off waivers, this might be to set up a deal to trade Ohlund in the coming days.

watching thursdays b's-ducks game, i was really getting a vibe that the b's really are gonna make a run at pronger. now theres alot of rumors out there as for waht the package would include. one would involve kessel which would be a blow offensively, but hes a free agent after this year and will require a pretty good price tag so thats a possibility. another one i just read was pronger and travis moen for mark stuart, kobasew, colborne, and an 09 2nd rounder. i would LOVE them to do the 2nd one, but im not sure much anaheim would look at it. if the b's get pronger and stay injury free, lock up the east for boston.

I'd be shocked if the ducks accept that 2nd trade tiger. Just doesn't make sense for them. And I heard the Kessel for Pronger rumor as well. That doesn't make sense for the b's nor does it work with the cap. kessels' cap hit is only 2.2 mil while pronger eats up 6.25 mil.

Maybe the bruins should trade for a goaltender that will stop a 60 ft slapshot in ot. that pisses me off.

there are alot of names in play... depends on how teams believe the look going in.

There are 5-6 obvious sellers and the rest who knows...

There'll probably be a Hossa type deal of last year, teams looking to fill that hole etc.

It might not be mind blowing but there will be key moves... and I know it will be better than NBA D-day, lol

ya, nba d-day was a dud, nhl should be better

i'll check in with you guys here in the hockey forum...we need more hockey cappers here:cheers:

I'd be shocked if the ducks accept that 2nd trade tiger. Just doesn't make sense for them. And I heard the Kessel for Pronger rumor as well. That doesn't make sense for the b's nor does it work with the cap. kessels' cap hit is only 2.2 mil while pronger eats up 6.25 mil.

if anaheim is gonna trade pronger, that 2nd trade i mentioned isnt that bad of a package. i think colborne is gonna be a stud in a few years. i guess that was a deal they were most considering, but now pierre lebrun from espn is saying the b's are out of the running right now for pronger. as for the kessel trade rumor, the b's would be able to take on pronger as his cap hit would only be around 1.5 mill pro-rated for the rest of the year from what i read. plus with sturm on the long term ir, adding pronger wouldnt be a problem for the b's.

lebrun also gives the impression bouwmeester might be heading to western canada (vancouver, calgary) if florida decides to deal him. that would give things a little shake up in the western conference. its gonna get interesting this week for sure.

Stars are putting Avery on re-entry waivers so look for the Rangers to pick him up on the way back.

He needs to be on a NHL roster by the deadline to be eligible to play in the playoffs.

if anaheim is gonna trade pronger, that 2nd trade i mentioned isnt that bad of a package. i think colborne is gonna be a stud in a few years. i guess that was a deal they were most considering, but now pierre lebrun from espn is saying the b's are out of the running right now for pronger. as for the kessel trade rumor, the b's would be able to take on pronger as his cap hit would only be around 1.5 mill pro-rated for the rest of the year from what i read. plus with sturm on the long term ir, adding pronger wouldnt be a problem for the b's.

lebrun also gives the impression bouwmeester might be heading to western canada (vancouver, calgary) if florida decides to deal him. that would give things a little shake up in the western conference. its gonna get interesting this week for sure.

Yea I overlooked the cap space freed up by Sturm, Chia said they have about 4.2 mil to play with. That second trade you listed seemed to be almost a done deal yesterday but Ana wanted big name added and Boston refused. Most likely either Bergy or Krecji.

Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke is denying a report out of Boston that the Bruins have made a big pitch to acquire veteran blueliner Tomas Kaberle.
The New England Sports Network and the Boston Herald both reported that the Eastern Conference leading Bruins have offered their first- and third-round picks in the upcoming NHL entry draft, as well top prospect Joe Colborne.
Burke told TSN that there has been no such offer.
“It's not true, a total fabrication,” Burke told TSN. “I sat with (Boston GM) Peter Chiarelli for the first period of Saturday's game in Boston and we never discussed Tomas Kaberle. We hadn't spoken about Kaberle before that and we most certainly haven't since then. There is no truth to it at all. None.”
The 31-year-old Kaberle returned to the Maple Leafs lineup Saturday after missing more than a month with a broken bone in his hand. Although he has a no-trade clause in his contract, the smooth skating Czech-born defenceman has given Burke a list of 10 teams - all in the Eastern Conference - he would be willing to accept a trade to. The Bruins are suspected to be one of those 10 teams.
Kaberle has two years remaining on his contract which sees him earn $4.25 per season. In 731 career NHL games - all with the Leafs - the four-time All-Star has 73 goals and 360 assists.

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>// <![CDATA[if (document.getElementById('tsnCallout')) {var divText = document.getElementById('tsnCallout').innerHTML;var flashvars = {};flashvars.callOutText = divText;var params = {};params.wmode = 'transparent';params.allowscriptaccess = 'always';params.scale = 'noscale';params.salign = 'tl';var attributes = {};swfobject.embedSWF('/media/flash/headlines/storyCallout.swf', 'tsnCallout', '340', '1', '8.0.0', false, flashvars, params, attributes);}// ]]></SCRIPT>

The waiting game continues for Bill Guerin and Derek Morris.
A trade involving Guerin is unlikely to be completed on Sunday night, leaving some close to the situation to question whether it will get done at all.
Sources close to Guerin say he is frustrated by the ongoing uncertainty and has done nothing to complicate, or stall the trade from going through.
Guerin and Islanders' general manager Garth Snow are continuing to wait for New York's trading partner to sign off on the deal.
The identity of this mystery team is being concealed for fear the trade will fall apart, although speculation continues to point at the Washington Capitals.

Final confirmation would end a saga that started when Guerin was pulled out of the Islanders' lineup after the warm-up against the Buffalo Sabres.
Regardless of the outcome, Guerin will not be in the lineup Monday night when the Islanders host the Colorado Avalanche.
Phoenix Coyotes defenceman Derek Morris's situation is similar, although not nearly as complicated.
Morris is also waiting for a call from Coyotes general manager Don Maloney to inform him of a trade offer.
Sources close to Morris suggest there are a few specific teams in the mix.
Like Guerin, Morris doesn't want to sit around and is eager to have his uncertainty settled.
A deal involving Derek Morris could get done as early as Monday.

Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke is denying a report out of Boston that the Bruins have made a big pitch to acquire veteran blueliner Tomas Kaberle.
The New England Sports Network and the Boston Herald both reported that the Eastern Conference leading Bruins have offered their first- and third-round picks in the upcoming NHL entry draft, as well top prospect Joe Colborne.
Burke told TSN that there has been no such offer.
“It's not true, a total fabrication,” Burke told TSN. “I sat with (Boston GM) Peter Chiarelli for the first period of Saturday's game in Boston and we never discussed Tomas Kaberle. We hadn't spoken about Kaberle before that and we most certainly haven't since then. There is no truth to it at all. None.”
The 31-year-old Kaberle returned to the Maple Leafs lineup Saturday after missing more than a month with a broken bone in his hand. Although he has a no-trade clause in his contract, the smooth skating Czech-born defenceman has given Burke a list of 10 teams - all in the Eastern Conference - he would be willing to accept a trade to. The Bruins are suspected to be one of those 10 teams.
Kaberle has two years remaining on his contract which sees him earn $4.25 per season. In 731 career NHL games - all with the Leafs - the four-time All-Star has 73 goals and 360 assists.

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>// <![CDATA[if (document.getElementById('tsnCallout')) {var divText = document.getElementById('tsnCallout').innerHTML;var flashvars = {};flashvars.callOutText = divText;var params = {};params.wmode = 'transparent';params.allowscriptaccess = 'always';params.scale = 'noscale';params.salign = 'tl';var attributes = {};swfobject.embedSWF('/media/flash/headlines/storyCallout.swf', 'tsnCallout', '340', '1', '8.0.0', false, flashvars, params, attributes);}// ]]></SCRIPT>

geez, i'd be willing to part with colborne if pronger was coming to boston. but i dont think i'd send him and a 1st and 3rd for kaberle. i think thats a little much. good thing this is just "rumor". 2 days and counting til deadline.....

Since the trade deadline is fast approaching, this week's Backchecking will get straight to the latest rumours.
Who's on the block?
- While reports out of Colorado seem to refute Ryan Smyth trade rumours, the Ottawa Sun says that the Canadiens are investigating the possibility of acquiring Smyth.
- Other Avs players getting a lot of play in the rumour mill include D Jordan Leopold and RW Ian Laperriere.
- As it seems with every deadline day, Coyotes C Olli Jokinen is again rumoured to be on the move, with the Calgary Sun noting that, naturally, Mike Keenan's Flames are a potential destination, while the Globe and Mail questions whether the Flames would be able to handle Jokinen's contract ($5.25-million) for next season.
- The Buffalo News indicates that the Sabres may have to seriously consider a Tim Connolly trade and figures that the Columbus Blue Jackets should be interested in pairing Connolly with star winger Rick Nash and sending Rostislav Klesla to Buffalo.
- Even if a deal seems less likely with Florida in playoff position, the Panthers reportedly will consider offers for D Jay Bouwmeester, but would require more than just prospects and picks to make such a deal. The Buffalo News says that the asking price is a top-four defenceman and a veteran forward that can be sold to the Florida fan base (and help the Panthers make the playoffs this season).
- The Orange County Register discusses some possible Ducks deals, noting that the Capitals, Blackhawks, Bruins and Flyers could be interested in Chris Pronger, but that each suitor would likely have to swallow hard before including some of their top young talent in return. TSN's Bob McKenzie has the Devils, Bruins, Flames and Sharks monitoring the Pronger situation closely.
- Reports out of Philadelphia indicate that the Flyers may be willing to swap top prospect James van Riemsdyk for Thrashers G Kari Lehtonen. If the deal was actually on the table, the Thrashers would surely have to jump on it.
- The Ottawa Citizen expects the Senators to have a market to deal D Filip Kuba and RW Chris Neil.
- The Calgary Sun wonders if the Flames would be interested in Predators RW Steve Sullivan. Now that's back to scoring goals, Sullivan could provide a nice boost to second-line scoring.
- According to the Ottawa Sun, the Thrashers are shopping both Niclas Havelid and Ron Hainsey.
- The Globe and Mail says that the Maple Leafs' asking price for Nik Antropov is a first-round pick.
- According to the Delaware County Times, Flyers RW Joffrey Lupul continues to be mentioned in trade rumours, particularly as the Flyers try to create enough cap room in order to fit Daniel Briere back into the lineup.
- Some of the more interesting and different names included by the Ottawa Sun as "available" before the deadline include: Stars winger Jere Lehtinen, Kings LW Alexander Frolov, Thrashers RW Colby Armstrong, Thrashers G Kari Lehtonen, Flames C Matthew Lombardi, Bruins RW Michael Ryder (really?), Hurricanes D Joe Corvo, Penguins RW Miroslav Satan, Canucks D Kevin Bieksa and Capitals D Shaone Morrisonn.
- The Arlington Heights Daily Herald Times notes that the Blackhawks are likely just looking for a solid checking centre at the deadline and there are several who could be available, including Jeff Halpern, Dominic Moore and Samuel Pahlsson.
- According to the Columbus Dispatch, the Oilers aren't going to move RW Erik Cole at the trade deadline. A curious decision, if it's true.
- The Globe and Mail notes that Canadiens RW Alex Kovalev interests the Oilers and Blue Jackets.
- According to the New York Daily News, the Islanders are listening to offers for RW Bill Guerin, D Radek Martinek and D Brendan Witt.
- The Ottawa Sun notes that Christoph Schubert is likely to be moved and names the Oilers and Lightning as potential destinations.
- The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review suggests that Penguins C Jordan Staal could be the next core player to be moved from Pittsburgh, if not by the trade deadline then in the summer, if the on-ice results don't improve.
- According to the Vancouver Province, the Canucks won't make a major move before the deadline unless they suffer an injury in the meantime.
- Red Wings GM Ken Holland tells the Detroit News that he won't be making a move for a goaltender before the deadline.
- The Columbus Dispatch reports that there is some interest in Blue Jackets G Pascal Leclaire, even as he's recovering from ankle surgery, listing Ottawa, Colorado, St. Louis and Atlanta as potentially interested parties.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland usually makes a move at the trade deadline, even if it is a relatively minor transaction for depth purposes.
But he feels less urgency to deal this season because the team is deep at forward and on defense, has solid chemistry and has proven it can win in the playoffs.
Because the Red Wings are so close to the salary cap ceiling, Holland said the only way he can make a move by Wednesday's 3 p.m. deadline is by trading a roster player. For that to happen, it would have to be an offer he can't refuse.
"I am hesitant," Holland said, prior to Saturday night's game against Nashville. "I like our team, but I have an obligation to the team, to our fan base and our ownership to explore whatever possibilities are out there."
But, he added, "Given the depth of our team, I'm in no hurry to trade. I don't know that I can make a move to bring in players that are better than what we have on the ice."
Holland said he is not in a position to acquire a rental player -- someone with an expiring contract. He also indicated he would rather not deal a draft pick or a good prospect just for an insurance policy (he still would need to trim salary somewhere) because they will lose some players in the summer due to salary cap constraints.

Brian Burke isn't sure how busy he'll be between now and Wednesday's trade deadline, but he was open to discuss the interest he continues to receive on some of his Toronto Maple Leafs players.
Earlier today on AM 640's Leafs Lunch, Burke teased listeners with the admission he and his management team are considering a multi-player trade proposal.
''We got a trade proposal yesterday (Sunday) that is intriguing. We're actually chewing on it right now,'' Burke stated. ''This one would involve three players and a draft pick…it would involve two guys off of our team,'' Burke added. ''I think we're going to reject it, but we're chewing on it,'' the Leafs gm concluded.
Burke dismissed all speculation linking Toronto and star defenseman, Tomas Kaberle to the Boston Bruins, calling the Boston based reports, ''pure fabrication.''
He also put to the rest the ongoing speculation the Maple Leafs have interest in either Florida's Jay Bouwmeester, or Ducks defenceman Chris Pronger saying he hasn't had any trade discussions with either Florida or Anaheim specific to either player.
Burke did acknowledge a recent offer for Leafs blue-liner Ian White, who he describes as a quality person and says while White may still get traded, Toronto turned down a late 2nd round draft pick for White last week.
High on Toronto's priority list today is determining whether or not Dominic Moore's contract will be extended, or whether Moore's name will be swiftly added to the trade bait list.
''We've had some discussions and it's too early to say whether we will be able to reach some common ground,'' Burke told AM 640. ''We'll nail that down by tonight, so there's plenty of time to move him if it looks like he's not going to sign.''
Burke says there has been trade interest in Moore and others, but aside from yesterday's trade proposal, there is nothing on his desk now that he considers to be solid enough to close a deal.

Sources tell TSN the Toronto Maple Leafs will resume discussions on Tuesday morning in an effort to re-sign forward Dominic Moore.
The Leafs made a counter offer on Monday, but sources say that offer was well below what Moore considers to be his bottom line - believed to be between $2.5 million and $3 million per season.
The Maple Leafs counter is unacceptable to Moore's camp, so Tuesday morning's negotiations could be the final round before Toronto's general manager, Brian Burke officially puts Dominic Moore on the trade market.

I can respect the becoming a sens fan, montreal I cannot. Sorry but you should join the B's fan club.

Dominic Moore is in for rude awakening if he honestly thinks he is worth 2.5-3 per year.

Also the Wild Resigned Backstrom so that takes him off the market

He's baaaack!
As expected, the New York Rangers claimed Sean Avery on re-entry waivers today and the super pest is back in the NHL.
The Rangers are responsible for half of Avery's remaining contract - another three years with an annual cap hit of $3.875 million. The Dallas Stars are responsible for the other half.
Avery, who had two goals and one assist in six games with the Hartford Wolf Pack of the AHL, will rejoin the Rangers in time for Wednesday's practice and is expected to be in the lineup Thursday against the Islanders.
This will be Avery's second tour of duty with the Rangers after spending two years with the Blueshirts under recently fired head coach Tom Renney.
The 28-year old Avery could get a frosty welcome from current Rangers' head coach John Tortorella who has stated in the past that he is no fan of Avery's antics.
As part of the NHL on TSN panel earlier in the season, Tortorella was highly critical of Avery following his comments about actress Elisha Cuthbert, a former Avery flame and current girlfriend of Flames' blue liner Dion Phaneuf.
''Enough is enough. He's embarrassed himself, he's embarrassed the [Dallas] organization, he's embarrassed the league and he's embarrassed his teammates, who have to look out for him. Send him home. He doesn't belong in the league.''
Rangers' general manager Glen Sather sees Avery as a boost to a struggling Rangers squad and believes that his coach and new acquisition will be able to co-exist.
''He doesn't have the history with Sean that we do,'' Sather said on a conference call last week. ''Over time, you learn to love him, just like I do.''
In 23 games with the Stars this season, the Pickering, Ontario native has three goals and seven assists while racking up 77 minutes in penalties before being handed a six-game suspension for his comments regarding Cuthbert. During his suspension, Avery told the Stars that he needed help dealing with his anger and he was placed in a councelling program run by the NHLPA.

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>// <![CDATA[if (document.getElementById('tsnCallout')) {var divText = document.getElementById('tsnCallout').innerHTML;var flashvars = {};flashvars.callOutText = divText;var params = {};params.wmode = 'transparent';params.allowscriptaccess = 'always';params.scale = 'noscale';params.salign = 'tl';var attributes = {};swfobject.embedSWF('http://images.tsn.ca/media/flash/headlines/storyCallout.swf', 'tsnCallout', '340', '1', '8.0.0', false, flashvars, params, attributes);}// ]]></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window['OneClipVideoListRenderer']) {OneClipVideoListRenderer.SetDefaultPath('feature');OneClipVideoListRenderer.ClearClips();OneClipVideoListRenderer.AddClip({image:"http://images.ctvdigital.com/images/pub2upload/9/2009_2_2/fantasy-hockey-update-logo.jpg",title:"Fantasy Hockey Update",description:"It's not often a defenceman gets a chance to play on the top line. Scott Cullen has the details.",clipid:145579});}</SCRIPT>

Sources tell TSN three teams remain in pursuit of Phoenix Coyotes defenceman Derek Morris.
The Washington Capitals, Philadelphia Flyers and the Boston Bruins are still negotiating with the Coyotes for Morris.
Sources say offers have been presented, but the offers are changing regularly as players are added and subtracted from the deal.

The Ottawa Senators are hard at work trying to re-sign their own free agents prior to Wednesday's NHL Trade Deadline.
Todd Reynolds, the agent for forward Chris Neil, is set to meet with Senators general manager Bryan Murray this afternoon in a final attempt to sign the veteran tough guy to a new contract.
The 29-year old Neil is set to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season and is said to be looking for a deal in the ranger of $2.5 million per season.
In addition the team is also attempting to get defenceman Filip Kuba's name on a new contract as well.
The agent for the Czech blue liner has reportedly offered the Senators a home town discount that would have a salary cap hit of about $4 million a season. His agent has also denied a report that they are seeking at least $4.5 million per year.
If deals cannot be worked out, both players will likely be moved prior to the deadline.
The 32-year-old Kuba is earning $3 million this season, while Neil, 29, is making $1.2 million.

pens put satan, roberts on waivers

rangers put voros on waivers

ducks put morrison on waivers

backstrom gets 4 years 24 million from wild. can only imagine what timmy thomas will be looking for haha. not good.

pens put satan, roberts on waivers

The bottom line is, this team needs help. They need what Roberts brought, actually, they just need it from someone seven years younger. Maybe ten. Get that on that team and they might have something.

Otherwise, I'm going to be tempted to join Santa on the Sens' bandwagon. Hell, it's not like there isn't any room.

Back