Soccer Seems To Be Fixed

some 150 international matches, mostly in Africa, Asia and Latin America; roughly 380 games in Europe, covering World Cup and European championship qualifiers as well as two Champions League games; and games that run the gamut from lower-division semiprofessional matches to contests in top domestic leagues.

that's the key part, and the Champions League games involved a Hungarian team

it's not surprising at all

you look through games in Eastern Europe, of lower league Italy, and you will see the Draw at -300 etc. and you know what's going on

teed woulda figured yall to be all on this

I understand the lower class games, but the article implicates EPL teams no? Or did I read wrong?

The 1-0 defeat of Debrecen didn't fit the profile of the initial reports as a goalie - alone - cannot determine how many goals he will save and especially it just being one goal. Three or four goals would be a lot more plausible. What I'm getting at is Liverpoool should be implicated as well. 1-0 is f'ing impossible to hold up with one person or one team.

Some of this is old news but it would hardly be the first time a Champions League game involving a high profile EPL team was rigged. In 93 a Manchester United match was fixed so that the home team Galatasaray of Turkey would advance.

Nobody here in the States likes to talk about it but there were several fixed matches in the 94 World Cup played in the US. Google a nytimes article with 1994 World Cup "some refs deserve red cards" and it becomes obvious looking back what was going on. And a main culprit at that World Cup was also head ref of the Man U match in Turkey who would later be banned for life by FIFA for bribery.

The 1-0 defeat of Debrecen didn't fit the profile of the initial reports as a goalie - alone - cannot determine how many goals he will save and especially it just being one goal. Three or four goals would be a lot more plausible. What I'm getting at is Liverpoool should be implicated as well. 1-0 is f'ing impossible to hold up with one person or one team.

and then it looks obvious

these guys are betting on the team to win the game, all they need is a 1 goal win, they are not betting on an exact scoreline

all it takes is 1 incident in a game for a CB or a goalie and it's easy to fix

All sports are fixed. Not every single game, not every single play, but there are people on the take in competitions around the world, particularly the refs.

The thing I've never understood, most of the lower tier leagues have pretty low limits on them (my max on Pinnacle looks to be in the 250-300 range for stuff like Cyprus, Northern Ireland, etc..., and I already know my max at 5dimes for stuff like Eerste Divisie and Blue Square is 200). How much volume could you possibly get away with in the first place to make this financially viable (never mind the amount for bribes, runners, etc...), especially with most books having software in place to flag betting irregularities - are we talking placing multiple bets at multiple books in multiple locations? Seems pretty high risk, low reward to me...

Hugh, the underground market of betting syndicates is massive, especially in Asia. A single syndicate was busted in Hong Kong in July 2010 that had managed to book globally 1.3 BILLION in World Cup action. They also just suspended over 40 players last month in the Korean league for match fixing.

Have a friend that would bet his life that Joey Barton was on the take in that QPR-Man City match last year on the final day of the season.

There is a great book written in 2008 "The Fix" about this subject.

I grew up in Singapore and was a runner for a few guys at 12. Lots of money happening from even small time guys. When I met some of the bigger haunchos easily ramped up the wagers up to 6 figures in one just one wager.
There are plenty of invite only bookies.
Smaller tier leagues are much easier to bribe when the players are getting shit wages.

Back