• 2nd Chance Survivor -- Contest Forum for Details!!

****Soccer is the Greatest Sport on Earth In-Game****

There is a lost generation from hat 24-28 range , similar to Netherlands , still absolutely zero excuse not to qualify

There is a lost generation from hat 24-28 range , similar to Netherlands , still absolutely zero excuse not to qualify

What sucks is this is an era that football is getting killed, moms don't want their kids playing for injury purposes and soccer could thrive here. Just ended that tonight.

What sucks is this is an era that football is getting killed, moms don't want their kids playing for injury purposes and soccer could thrive here. Just ended that tonight.

But of an overreaction

Kids aren't going to not sign up for youth soccer cause the team missed the world cup, come on

If anything this is better for the long term, ends the status quo

Same thing happened to Germany in 2000 and they overhauled the youth systems through the FA, France in 2004 and they built clairefontaine, Dutch have started similar things the last few years in their FA

But of an overreaction

Kids aren't going to not sign up for youth soccer cause the team missed the world cup, come on

If anything this is better for the long term, ends the status quo

Same thing happened to Germany in 2000 and they overhauled the youth systems through the FA, France in 2004 and they built clairefontaine, Dutch have started similar things the last few years in their FA

Nah , it's not like US comes back and becomes a top 10 team. This is terrible.. maybe 20 years down the road I'd feel different.. Germany, France , Netherlands its the most popular sport in the country. Soccer becomes an afterthought for at least 4 more years , not good

This is bad for the 24-8 year olds like braves said

Pulisic' bank account until 2022 or when he moved to the PL

And bad for all the people who are about to get fired, but which is good for the future

Agree on not making a quick hire, I wouldn't go big name though, go someone MLS knowledge and young. That's who you need to know and build the team around. Pulisic and maybe a few other luxery players (Josh perez?). But the core will be MLS based imo so the coach needs to know that league

teed I'll appreciate the opposite opinion always but I absolutely think it will hurt in the short term at least...we have no world cup team for a nation of 300 million that would crush it next year

I do agree, status quo is what got us in that position, ffs they looked old and slow and Bradley looks like a lost goon...not what you want from your point guard. But Jozy and Clint just aren't remotely fast anymore. And Besler was all about passing to the opposition like Bradley. Old ain't gonna fly, hope this next gen is as interested in the sport as some of us

Nah , it's not like US comes back and becomes a top 10 team. This is terrible.. maybe 20 years down the road I'd feel different.. Germany, France , Netherlands its the most popular sport in the country. Soccer becomes an afterthought for at least 4 more years , not good

Ya but is that bad for the future?

They need to overhaul the system of coaching, enough players play at youth level to have a good team

What's going to hurt in the short term?

Anyone that's going to contribute in say 2022 is already 16 or 17 at the youngest

And I still don't see youth participants dropping

Maybe tv ratings go down, I think how turner is fucking over the CL viewing experience certificate is worse for that

Hope we hire a smart Mexican coach honestly, they seem to have a different (and correct imo) approach to this game...even a South American

This retread bullshit is annoying

Ughh I can't talk about it tonight anymore it's a kick in the balls , later guys

Have a good night bud, I've turned off the phone too and am still not sure how to react....worse feeling than losing a playoff game in any sport

The Honduras goal that hit the crossbar, hit Ochoa and went back in the net was ridiculous

That plus the Panama goal that never went in, just so unlucky

the league sucks. An MLS all star team wouldn't even compete in the bottom half of the EPL
to make USA good, you need to bring someone in thats not Bruce Arena or MLS management related. Again just my opinion.
Hell i couldnt even find the damn game on TV last night so what do i know.

wow. I really don't care for international soccer because it's shit, but this is just a disaster for the U.S. program.
CONCACAF is terrible. I mean, seriously what's the deepest a team from this region has ever run? Have they ever made a semis? I looked back to WC1986 and see three teams made the quarterfinals, so in 8 world cups, three teams in the quarters?

Anyway, I will watch the US team on occasion because I mean, it's the US, and I think Pulisic has potential, and Bobby Wood is okay and maybe John Brooks and Yedlin and Johnson? But the US throws the same shit out there. Altidore is just shit. He's a great physical specimen, but lacks anything special. Michael Bradley is a serviceable midfielder but honestly is not near world class. Tim Howard is not that good any longer. Guys like Graham Zusi have no business being even on a national team. He's a nice player, but come on. Roster is littered with garbage - I always liked Clint Dempsey, but he is about 3-4 years past his prime.
The thing that drives me bonkers is Bradley repeatedly floats free kicks into the box rather than sending them in with pace. And while some US players may have a height or athletic advantage over their opponents in CONCASHIT, it's so much easier to defend a floated ball, this should be used as a change of pace, not seemingly every fucking time.

Arena was just a caretaker, and everyone knew that. Guy is nearing retirement age, gotta figure with all the 'talent' the US had and the ease of the league even a mediocre, not in it for the long haul guy could get the team to the World Cup. RED X.

The loss last night was just the icing on the cake for the disaster of this team. Blow it up. They should have never been CLOSE to in this position in the first place. Honestly, Mexico is okay. Costa Rica is annoying to play against and have a few okay players. Other than that, it's a joke that the U.S. couldn't advance.

Fact is, I'm really more disappointed that a team like Chile couldn't get through. I don't know shit about coefficient's or how many team advance from each region, but in a perfect world, I'd put about 26 teams in from Europe and South America and let the rest of the world fight over the last 5 spots (with the home nation getting the last spot).

When I talk about a lost generation , I'm talking about the lack of national team players in the 24-28 range . That's a factor in all of this . You had a team mostly comprised of out of their prime players , or young guys with very little experience at this level. The us failed to qualify for the last 2 olympics , have missed out the on qualifying for world cups at the youth ages from 2007-2013.

With all that said US should still be qualifying for this World Cup, they don't have the 5th best talent in Concacaf , no way. It's just so frustrating as a fan to watch them go through the last couple of years in so many games and show zero fight or sense of urgency. This is on the players and certainly JK and Arena . It's like they thought they could just show up in these Concacaf games and win. The team was just so soft.

Obviously changes have to made . Arena is gone, his resignation should already be in the mail. I think Gulati should be gone as president . A worldwide search has to be done for a coach with a pedigree, a lot of time has to be spent on that. I know people will disagree but this will be a desireable job, especially if they are going be throwing out 3-4 million or maybe more for a head coach.

Then you have to integrate young players into the system and cut ties with the 30 somethings . You may have to take your lumps for next couple of years , but the goal is to be a competitive team in 2026 World Cup .

The bright side is the U20s have made the quarters in the last two world cups , and the U17 team looks like they will make a good run this year .

I feel terrible for Pulisic who will have to wait at least 5 years for a chance to play in a World Cup. I'd be pissed at every veteran on that team if I was him.

This is just so unacceptable on every level with the money, resources, and the region we play in to not be in this World Cup. What a disgrace

Wynalda said this morning on DP that he's seriously considering the president position assuming it becomes available

That's a position that requires some business acumen , it's like a billion dollar business . As a technical director I think Eric would be good . He definitely has his pulse on what needs to be done from the youth levels upward

Thing about a national coaching job is.....it's all about the money. It's a thankless job for every coach in the world except the coach that wins the world cup. It really doesn't matter how good a coach you are and tons of top coaches have thrown their hat in the ring. The country needs to ALWAYS overpay for a national coach, and you have to find someone willing to take the gig.
National coaches have to assemble their teams of players from across different clubs and oftentimes playing in different countries. They only get a chance to run their practices a few weeks out of the year, and often times these players are knicked from club play, or they are under pressure not to play too hard for country so as not to get injured and effect their club.
It's an impossible proposition all around.
That said, absolutely the U.S. has more than enough talent to advance here. terrible home loss to CR and terrible results on the road buried them. Players have to come up a lot bigger than this - I know the coach played around with some lineups but even fringe guys when they get their shot (Zardes, morris, et al) need to come up bigger. This is a chance to shine.

Haha I saw that

On the lighter side, look at all the ridiculous stuff that happened in the other two games that eliminated us

And apparently it was not a ball boy but a substitute, the guy probably earned his spot for Russia right there haha

Yes absolutely everything went wrong for the USMNT yesterday in all 3 concacaf matches, don't know how I would feel as an American futbol fan must be hard. On the bright side the future can only be better if you make the right decisions after this disaster, can't do worse than 12 points in this group next times I would think

Yes absolutely everything went wrong for the USMNT yesterday in all 3 concacaf matches, don't know how I would feel as an American futbol fan must be hard. On the bright side the future can only be better if you make the right decisions after this disaster, can't do worse than 12 points in this group next times I would think
I think the worst part about it is just how optimistic everyone seemingly was about our chances and it was a foregone conclusion the U.S. would not only be at the WC, but challenging.
Last world cup they got to the knock out stage in a group that included Germany and Portugal and Ghana. That's a strong group. And then sent Belgium to E.T. another team on the rise. If you look at the U.S. team there, I mean they replaced Bedoya, Zusi and Dempsey with Wood, Pulisic and Altidore. That should have been much better - younger and more talented players. The CB's were the same, as was the GK and CM...and again, they infused younger/speedier guys into the lineup like Yedlin and Nagbe. I dunno, just on paper, this team looks way better and now, who knows what the future holds.

That's a position that requires some business acumen , it's like a billion dollar business . As a technical director I think Eric would be good . He definitely has his pulse on what needs to be done from the youth levels upward

I’d argue that klinsmenn had a pulse on what to do as well but couldn’t get it done. Here’s where the size of the country hurts us. I think the way that countries can build youth in a centralized way; we are too big to do so.

the goal that put the US out of the World Cup https://twitter.com/SomosLaSele/status/917931412795387904/video/1

great pass and great shot, with home commentary. Today was a national holiday in Panama to celebrate their 1st ever WC.

What must be hard to stomach aside from of all this bad luck in the other 2 matches is that the US team had everything in their hands in the last match and just needed a draw at shitty Trinidad and Tobago to qualify directly

How many Mexican /American dual national players do we lose from this?

While Mexico team is basically set , I guarantee the federation is going use that against USA. USA doesn't play a meaningful game until summer of 2019 Gold cup

Yes, but the US team may have a few spots up for grabs if some guys retire from the USMNT and the team accelerate the process of getting younger, might have an easier path to a starting place with the US?

the league sucks. An MLS all star team wouldn't even compete in the bottom half of the EPL
to make USA good, you need to bring someone in thats not Bruce Arena or MLS management related. Again just my opinion.
Hell i couldnt even find the damn game on TV last night so what do i know.

That's where the majority of the team comes from though

An average MLS team is probably an elite league one team or a lower level championship one, but you don't get a coach used to coaching elite players to work with those that aren't

Even mourinho has said this summer the reason why he had issues with kdb, Luke Shaw, etc. Is because he doesn't work well with youth players. Have to hire the manager that works with the squad that will be made available

I’d argue that klinsmenn had a pulse on what to do as well but couldn’t get it done. Here’s where the size of the country hurts us. I think the way that countries can build youth in a centralized way; we are too big to do so.

That's why MLS should be involved more

Obviously the scale would be different, but this read on how Germany did it is interesting

No reason why USA can't do something similar. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/may/23/germany-bust-boom-talent

I think as of now the US needs to get away from the MLS. The pulisic model is the way of the future for future stars. Look at Jordan Morris, he opted for mls. That guy is never gonna be much of anything. Luckily we have 2 young guys in Weah (PSG) and Sergeant (Werder) that have taken this route. If Morris would have gone to Germany, yeah he wouldn’t have started. But he would have been in that system, one that is much better then the mls at training players.

Saw this today...and it stood out to me at the time...in injury time on the last corner. Bradley jogs to the corner flag to take a corner kick. He should have SPRINTED.

I'm not sure who i dislike more, him or Altidore

I think as of now the US needs to get away from the MLS. The pulisic model is the way of the future for future stars. Look at Jordan Morris, he opted for mls. That guy is never gonna be much of anything. Luckily we have 2 young guys in Weah (PSG) and Sergeant (Werder) that have taken this route. If Morris would have gone to Germany, yeah he wouldn’t have started. But he would have been in that system, one that is much better then the mls at training players.

This isn't a solution , just go overseas . Jesus

This isn't a solution , just go overseas . Jesus

It is a solution...the MLS is not a good league. As long as most of our players are not in a good league we will not be a good team and we will struggle against the rest of CONCACAF who is also in the not good league. The only path for success for the MLS and USMNT is if the MLS understands that they will NEVER be a good league partially because of geography and history and they turn this into a feeder league for European leagues. The fact of the matter is that not only are the players not good enough, but a cause and effect is that the coaches are not good (for the most part).

I mean honestly if we get down into the facts is that this is one of the worst if not the worst USMNT in my life. If we didn't have Pulisic, where would we be? Seriously. He was involved in 12 of 19 goals I think. Where are the goals coming from without him?

We get blown out by CR home and away. We barely get by Guatemala and Honduras. We LOSE to Trinidad and Tobago. This was never good.

We should have all seen this coming last year and we didn't because we were just as arrogant as these players who said it was all good. It wasnt. They suck and they need to burn the whole house down immediately or will we never be worth a shit just like we aren't now.

Back