Small conference teams that should be involved in high scoring games early

RetroVK

This claim is disputed
A nice short title there. hehe
My lists of small conference teams that i expect to be involved in very high scoring games early in the year , with quick reasons why.

1. North Texas -- Team is small on defense and it results in them getting pummeled in the run game. Gave up 5.7 a carry last year. They also averaged 46 pass attempts per game last year , which translates to a lot of clock stoppages and to a lot of big plays ( negative and positive ). Despite a new defensive coordinator , there is no reason to think this team isn't involved in a lot of high scoring games again this year. Starter at qb returns but have to think the coaches son who is also a HUGE recruit for a school like n texas will get most of the snaps. Daddy will want son to have big stats.

2. florida atlantic --Atleast early in the year. return 10 starters to an offense that averaged over 31 pts a game last year. The defense should be better than last year but would expect them to get hurt by the quality nonconference opponents early in the year. the texas, mich st , minnesotas of the world are going to score on this team. Depending on defensive improvement , the average score might go down when they face sunbelt conference foes. Need to research howard schnellenberger and whether he will run up the score or not for conference games.

3. Toledo - any team that gets 5 ypc on offense and yeilds 5 ypc on defense is a good team to expect a lot of scoring in their games. Face some tough offense early. At Arizona they will get scored on often and Arizona while fielding talent on defense , will still be early in the year with a lot of inexperienced players. I would expect a ton of scoring at e michigan as well. emich looks to be more improved on offense and about the same defensively to me. 4 out of the last 6 of the games vs emich have been high scoring and toledo has put up atleast 30 in 5 of the last 6. This game rates to be very high scoring. 2 of the next three games are vs ballst and fresno st .... so ...... lots of scoring. lots and lots. Also , a vast majority of their games are on artificial turf which lends itself to higher scoring.

4. central mich -- There was 58 or more points scored in all but two of their games ( one of which was mac championship game ). Most of the offense returns , including stud QB. Games involving c mich as an opponent tend to have way more plays per game than is normal for each team. They are going to be hard to stop offensively and teams are going to have to throw to keep up. makes for some high scoring games. on a side note ... gonna call the big upset over purdue right now. This team goes into West Lafayette and pulls a shocker.

5. new mexico st -- the defense couldnt stop half the high school teams in california or texas. Holbrook and a bunch of good receivers , plus a gambler for a coach. seems obvious enough.

6. hawaii -- Even without june jones this team is going to run some form of that run-n-gun , run-n-shoot style of offense. They lose brennan and some good receivers and i would expect hawaii to run more this year. They will be more suspect vs the run but i think their secondary is better. So they will definitely be in lower scoring games than the last few years as the percent of running plays for and against should increase. Still , they should be involved in high scoring games. If they dont adjust the totals enough though , there could be value on unders. what hawaii does is no secret to anyone.

7. rice - this team at seasons end this year will average over 300 passing yards per game on offense. i promise. This team at years end will allow an average of over 300 passing yards per game on defense. i promise. That makes for high scoring games. Should be especially prevelant early in the year when they face teams that play fast styles SMU (june jones and justin willis ) , memphis ( receivers to burn ) , texas (mccoy quan cosby and an offensive line that will demolish rice ) , north texas ( see above ) and tulsa ( we all know about the number of plays per game they have ).
This team might have the highest average posted totals in lined games this year. So not necessarily saying unders are the bet but i wouldnt be hoping for low scoring rice games.

8. UTEP - my alma mater. Trevor vittatoe is a stud qb that no one knows about. They have one of the best receivers in conference and their offensive line is head and shoulders over what it was last year. Team should be explosive on offense. The defense , while improving , really struggled with tackling last year and lose two of their top 3 tacklers this year. Utep also loses its best defensive player in the secondary and on the team to the nfl. Not the most disciplined defensive team in the nation and they will get scored on.

9. tulsa - system ( lower scoring games than last year though so keep that in mind )

10. smu - system ( experienced qb ) , no defense.

yup nevada / texas tech.. can they make that total high enough rj ???

btw in the drunken steed thread they were talking about pizza and i couldnt stop thinking about the pepperoni rolls at double daves in austin. Ever beent here rj ?

I must have a mental block on nevada since i played them in the bowl and they got shutout for the first time since jimmy carter was president .. which irnoically i have also put a mental block on.

Definitely a team that should be involved in highs coring games.

I've never been to Double Daves, but my wife has.

Actually just got back from Vegas. Bumped into Hellmuth's parents at the pool at the Golden Nugget.

Hehe , heard his parents are nice people. I have a good hellmouth story from tourney i played in a few years back. I was playing very tight in a limit tournament. I had not played a hand in awhile and the people after me were also playing pretty tight ( including hellmouth ) and i tried to steal the blinds with an 8-9 suited in semi-late position. Hellmouth reraised with ace king. Obviously with 6.5 to 1 odds , i called when it got back to me. To make a long story short , i flopped two pair , boated on the turn and he hit a flush on the river. He went nuts.

" I'm on full power !!! I'm on full power !!!" . He stood up , walked around and so forth. It was funny.

Now later that night he was kidding with me , as he had let it go .. but it was still kind of funny to me. He went on to win the tournament and a bracelet.

i loved double daves. went to lunch buffets there... i can eat.

I must have a mental block on nevada since i played them in the bowl and they got shutout for the first time since jimmy carter was president .. which irnoically i have also put a mental block on.

Ugh. I also lost some money on that damn game. First bowl win in 46 years for the Lobos.

If I remember right, Nevada stinks it up the first game or two of the season the last few years. I know Nebraska kicked the shit out of them in the opener last year.

Agree with all of them in particular #4 and #10. Also, would consider throwing Fresno State in there.

My lists of small conference teams that i expect to be involved in very high scoring games early in the year , with quick reasons why.

1. North Texas -- Team is small on defense and it results in them getting pummeled in the run game. Gave up 5.7 a carry last year. They also averaged 46 pass attempts per game last year , which translates to a lot of clock stoppages and to a lot of big plays ( negative and positive ). Despite a new defensive coordinator , there is no reason to think this team isn't involved in a lot of high scoring games again this year. Starter at qb returns but have to think the coaches son who is also a HUGE recruit for a school like n texas will get most of the snaps. Daddy will want son to have big stats.

Maybe not in Wk3 though when UNT travels to Baton Rouge.

Back