SEC Week 2 Discussion

gps_3

Head of Alabama Department of Decision-Making
I'm sure there will be plenty of discussion, especially considering the LSU game last night. But as a conference, went 13-1 in week 1 with varying levels of being impressive. I didn't get to watch too much, but UGA looked very impressive, Florida may be ahead of schedule as Richardson looks to be much improved. Arky didn't look great I've read, but still a good win against a legit opponent. Watched most of the LSU game last night, and yikes. Kelly may have to spend the season making a culture change more than anything. OL looked awful. Boutte looks like he'd rather be anywhere but on the field. Tough injury to that DT who's name escapes me at the minute. Might be a tough season in Baton Rouge. Can't believe this is the same program that had one of the greatest offenses ever just 3 seasons ago

As for Alabama, not too much to be gleaned from an overmatched opponent, but here's what I saw. The offense looks to be more efficient, but with fewer big plays. I think the longest completion Bryce had was like 25 yards. But he threw to 8 WR, so I think developing depth at that position is critical after what happened at the end of last year. The rushing yards look deceiving, as Gibbs and Bryce both had long runs. I was a little disappointed in the push up front, especially considering the opponent. The OL lineup was changed up throughout the game, so I hope this was more about building flexibility and depth before we settle on the 5 starters and the swing OLman. Overall, the offense looked more "NFL-like" than it has the last few years. I don't know if this will continue or even if it's a good thing, but I do think it will allow Bryce to have more control and make the offense more multiple. As for the defense, and I know it's an overmatched opponent, but this is the best I've seen us look in several years. Mostly that they played fast and were in position all game, from starters to backups. Tackling was much better. Looks like we have the experience and the knowledge to play Golding's (Saban's) defense instinctually rather than looking lost out there. I was especially impressed with the DBs. It looks like we may have 4 starter worthy players at CB. I know Ricks was hampered by injury and learning the defense, but watching him play in the game and you can see his potential. I think it's going to be a fun year as a fan. Hoping to avoid the injury bug this season.

Would love to hear comments on other games. I didn't get to watch much, and won't see much next week as I'm going to the Alabama @ Texas game.

I bet Billy Napier feels pretty good today. He has to be smiling his ass off in fact, for a few reasons.
Florida looked pretty good. I don’t think Utah is all that great but I watched and they have some players now….

Posted in the other thread about Arky vs Scary..
And Mizzou

Thoughts on em this week?
I didn't realize that SC had 2 blocked punt return TDs, so maybe not as impressive as I initially thought. Watching the highlight shows and reading box scores this afternoon before I mess around with PRs. Hope to have some thoughts later

Anthony Richardson can run and makes a lot of highlight plays but I watched the entire game and was not impressed. PFF backs that up as he had just a 64 passing grade with 0 Big Time Throws. He missed so many open guys and the passes he completed were not in stride or accurate at all. Several 3rd and longs and they threw WR screens. Shows you the coaches don't really trust him. It is insane to think he's a first round pick.

He also ran out of bounds TWICE on the final drive instead of sliding and making Utah burn their timeouts. The Utes never would have even had a chance at the end if he slid.

I think fans of about 90% of the teams in the rest of the country are wondering when it's not fun to be an Alabama fan? :)
When Saban retires?

I used to hate Alabama cause they were really good just like how I used to hate the Bulls..……then I realized that the Yankees Dynasty from 1996-2003 were being hated by a lot of people because they were good. Bloodhound was a big Alabama guy….he was betting Alabama back in the days , that’s when I have to adapt and accept that you can’t go against teams that’s good but to accept them ….especially when it comes to wagering

I think fans of about 90% of the teams in the rest of the country are wondering when it's not fun to be an Alabama fan? :)
Honestly, sometimes it's more stressful than fun. I've managed to not take it so seriously over the last decade and just enjoy the ride, but a lot of folks get so worked up over it I don't think "fun" is the right word

I didn't realize that SC had 2 blocked punt return TDs, so maybe not as impressive as I initially thought. Watching the highlight shows and reading box scores this afternoon before I mess around with PRs. Hope to have some thoughts later
In addition to running 2 blocked punts back for TDs, they also converted two, 2-point conversions. Rattler had 2 picks, although the first one went off the hands of the receiver.

Honestly, sometimes it's more stressful than fun. I've managed to not take it so seriously over the last decade and just enjoy the ride, but a lot of folks get so worked up over it I don't think "fun" is the right word
I get it. Back in the day we all used to just sit back and enjoy great seasons. Now it seems like the nature of most fans is to just be pissed off all the time, regardless of how good the team is.

Sounds odd but to know a few…..it’s bizarre
Granted the ones I know are from here, so…

But it’s not as much excitement as it’s expectations if that makes sense

Saturday, September 10, 2022

MATCHUPTIMETVTICKETSLOCATION / WEATHER
1Alabama @ Texas11:00 AMFOXTickets as low as $18DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin, TX
South Carolina @ 19Arkansas11:00 AM
ESPN
Tickets as low as $13Razorback Stadium, Fayetteville, AR
22Wake Forest @ Vanderbilt11:00 AM
SECN
Tickets as low as $17FirstBank Stadium, Nashville, TN
Missouri @ Kansas State11:00 AM
ESPN2
Tickets as low as $103Bill Snyder Family Stadium, Manhattan, KS
Appalachian State @ 6Texas A&M2:30 PM
ESPN2
Tickets as low as $14Kyle Field, College Station, TX
Tennessee @ 17Pittsburgh2:30 PM
ABC
Tickets as low as $55Acrisure Stadium, Pittsburgh, PA
i
Samford
@ 3Georgia3:00 PM
SECN
Tickets as low as $49Sanford Stadium, Athens, GA
20Kentucky @ Florida6:00 PM
ESPN
Tickets as low as $49Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, Gainesville, FL
i
Central Arkansas
@ 21Ole Miss6:00 PMESPN+

SECN+
Tickets as low as $7Vaught-Hemingway Stadium, Oxford, MS
San José State @ Auburn6:30 PM
ESPNU
Tickets as low as $9Jordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn, AL
i
Southern
@ LSU6:30 PM
SECN
Tickets as low as $35Tiger Stadium (LA), Baton Rouge, LA
Mississippi State @ Arizona10:00 PMFS1Tickets as low as $6Arizona Stadium, Tucson, AZ

I make Arkansas -5.5 and Florida -4 based on my PRs

Kind of a sneaky good schedule. Not in terms of national relevance, but some good games to start gauging what some of these teams are going to be this year.
Wow you have S Carolina a point better than Cincinnati? Obviously not sure what you made that game last week , just surprised.

Wow you have S Carolina a point better than Cincinnati? Obviously not sure what you made that game last week , just surprised.
I only do PR for SEC teams, too much time and effort otherwise, so I don't have a good answer for you there. I am admittedly a little higher on SC than most, and I haven't adjusted much after week 1. I make most of my major adjustments after at least 2-3 games

I only do PR for SEC teams, too much time and effort otherwise, so I don't have a good answer for you there. I am admittedly a little higher on SC than most, and I haven't adjusted much after week 1. I make most of my major adjustments after at least 2-3 games

I think Odem d is gonna confuse the shit out of rattler. I dunno how to like scary with him
Playing qb? Their run gm didn’t do much of anything last week, I dunno if that unusual or not but if they really gonna be dependent on Rattler I think they gonna be worse than expected.

Any update on Harrell and Latu for Bama? Were they held out as precautions to get them ready for this week or are they still legit banged up?

Any update on Harrell and Latu for Bama? Were they held out as precautions to get them ready for this week or are they still legit banged up?
I haven’t heard an update yet, but I don’t think they were being held out as precautions, especially Latu. He figures to be an integral part of the offense this season, and Saban will want him on the field as soon as he can play

I make Arkansas -5.5 and Florida -4 based on my PRs

Kind of a sneaky good schedule. Not in terms of national relevance, but some good games to start gauging what some of these teams are going to be this year.
Definitely a good capping week.

vols in an ass whooping

I don’t think it be a Ass whipping. Im scared to lay that many, on the road? Maybe you right, line a tell? I dunno, pitt can get after the qb. I don’t think they can cover Tillman the way they put their corners on a island but they will prob get to hooker some. Whether Pitt can run the ball I think the biggest key, I’m not sure? I know the coach doesn’t want to be getting into those same high scoring games as last year but that exactly what ended up happening week 1! Not sure a shootout gonna work for them like it did last year when they had Pickett throwing to best wr in the country!!

The total certainly screams shootout tho! 67 actually feels high to me, I know pitt gonna at least try to slow the game down/limit possessions. Unless vols jump out to a huge lead and Pitt has to change their plans I don’t think it goes over..

line sure jumped.
"expected" to start, so not concrete

Yea, I’d say he def starting or line ain’t jumping like that! I have no clue if that move was enough or too much? I’m not sure how much better Hartman is or at least how much better the offense will run w him compared to other kid? Gotta think he might have to shake off a little rust, could take them a bit to get moving?

I haven’t heard an update yet, but I don’t think they were being held out as precautions, especially Latu. He figures to be an integral part of the offense this season, and Saban will want him on the field as soon as he can play
Latu will play this weekend

Is bama game laying 20ish better or worse than 1st half? Both the same, gonna cash? Lol. Saban run it up on 1 his guys? I dunno

Is bama game laying 20ish better or worse than 1st half? Both the same, gonna cash? Lol. Saban run it up on 1 his guys? I dunno
I played both by the way…..waiting on 1Q and TT to come out

Also RR Alabama-20 and over with wake -13 and over……RR 2,3,4 for $5 each

I don’t think it be a Ass whipping. Im scared to lay that many, on the road? Maybe you right, line a tell? I dunno, pitt can get after the qb. I don’t think they can cover Tillman the way they put their corners on a island but they will prob get to hooker some. Whether Pitt can run the ball I think the biggest key, I’m not sure? I know the coach doesn’t want to be getting into those same high scoring games as last year but that exactly what ended up happening week 1! Not sure a shootout gonna work for them like it did last year when they had Pickett throwing to best wr in the country!!

The total certainly screams shootout tho! 67 actually feels high to me, I know pitt gonna at least try to slow the game down/limit possessions. Unless vols jump out to a huge lead and Pitt has to change their plans I don’t think it goes over..
That’s just a typical Vols total these days. Not often you’re going to see one below 60. I just don’t think this Pitt offense can keep up. I was not impressed at all on Thursday. That being said, UT did lose a starting LB today for a suspension. Although, he missed all of last season too, so not sure how big of a loss he really is

That’s just a typical Vols total these days. Not often you’re going to see one below 60. I just don’t think this Pitt offense can keep up. I was not impressed at all on Thursday. That being said, UT did lose a starting LB today for a suspension. Although, he missed all of last season too, so not sure how big of a loss he really is

Maybe I’m crazy but I really believe pitt gonna make this game look a lot different than expected or last year. The score getting into the 30s vs wvu was a aberration imo, not what the norm will be for them. In lot of ways I believe wvu was a much tougher matchup plus they had no idea what to expect from wvu offense.

I’m higher on wvu than most so I don’t knock pitt for week 1 as I’m actually impressed they found a way to win! I think they have a better chance of winning in trenches on both sides the ball this week which will lead to them dictating pace. I do worry bout Tillman and will def be looking at his rec yards over as I think he will without a doubt hit a big play or 3!! I don’t think vols will consistently get the early 1st downs they need for the offense to start moving in hyper speed.

Homer aside I’ve got TN winning by 10 plus points. TN has the ability to stretch the field going vertical and I think they will early and often. Pitt had difficult running the ball against WVU last Thursday and with Slovis not being very mobile I think that helps the TN defense out tremendously. The games TN had difficulty with on defense were mobile QB’s. I think Pitt will have a difficult time keeping up scoring wise. Play action passing and having an effective run game for Pitt changes things. If they are able to do that then I will be completely wrong on this. Should be a fun game to watch.

Back