SEC Week 10 Discussion

gps_3

Head of Alabama Department of Decision-Making
With Alabama off last weekend, Halloween stuff and high 80's temperatures, I pretty much unplugged from football this past weekend. Made zero bets. Played golf, worked on my honey-do list, and hosted a bunch of kids at our house for the Halloween parade in our neighborhood. Felt pretty good to be honest. I watched mostly the evening games on Saturday, saw bits and pieces of the afternoon ones. Hopefully the time away the last couple of weeks has given me some better insight. A little behind this week, but looking forward to the discussion as always.

Week 10 SEC PR lines:

Alabama -7.5 @ LSU
Florida -1.5 @ Arkansas
UGA PK @ Kentucky
Ole Miss -17 vs Ga Southern
S Carolina -4.5 vs Mizzou
aTm -17 @ Miss St
AU -21.5 vs Vanderbilt

[h=3]1. THE GAP BETWEEN THE SEC EAST AND THE SEC WEST IS LARGER THAN I THOUGHT[/h]Saturday, I was in Jacksonville to watch Florida and Georgia play one of the uglier games these old eyes have ever seen. Georgia was held to 164 yards (21 rushing) on 52 offensive plays. Comparatively, Florida was an offensive juggernaut, with 231 yards on 73 plays.
Earlier, I watched Kentucky dismantle host Missouri 35-21, and later I saw Carolina, playing a quarterback who should be leading Opelika High in the Alabama state playoffs, beat Tennessee 24-21. I kept switching over to watch the SEC West battle between Auburn and Ole Miss. There simply was no comparison in the level of play.
The SEC East is 1-7 against the SEC West this season. The East’s only win against West was Kentucky’s 40-38 victory over Mississippi State, and the Wildcats needed a 51-yard field goal on the last play of the game at home to get that one.
The record for the East is about to get even worse as the division still has six games remaining against the West:

Florida at Arkansas, November 5
Vanderbilt at Auburn, November 5
Auburn at Georgia, November 12
Florida at LSU, November 19
Ole Miss at Vanderbilt, November 19
Arkansas at Missouri, November 26

The West was 12-2 against the East in the regular season in 2015.

<section class="social-sharing-top" style="margin: 0px 0px 30px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: baseline; float: left; position: relative; text-align: center; width: 644.813px; font-family: Lato, sans-serif; line-height: 16px;">SHARE
TWEET
EMAIL

</section>
SCHEDULEstoops.jpg
MARK STOOPS, by Mark Zerof/USA Today Sports

[h=3]2. KENTUCKY – YES, KENTUCKY – CAN WIN THE SEC EAST[/h]The Wildcats started 0-2 this season and there was serious talk that coach Mark Stoops was on the hot seat. But Stoops took over the defense and now the Wildcats have won five of their past six games, with the only loss coming to No. 1 Alabama 34-6.
Kentucky is 4-2 in the SEC with losses to Alabama and Florida (but by a combined 79-13). If Kentucky wins its final two conference games, at home against struggling Georgia and on the road against demoralized Tennessee, the Wildcats will finish 6-2.
Florida still must play Arkansas and LSU on the road; those sandwich a home game with improving South Carolina. If the Gators lose two of those three games and UK goes 6-2, the Wildcats are the champion.
Will it play out this way? Probably not but the fact that it could happen speaks volumes about the SEC East.

[h=3]3. THE NO. 1 TEAM YOU DON’T WANT TO PLAY IN THE SEC IS ALABAMA; THE NO. 2 TEAM YOU DON’T WANT TO PLAY IS AUBURN[/h]Auburn is starting to scare people with its efficiency and physical play.
I wondered if Ole Miss would be able to get up off the mat and give Auburn a game Saturday night in Oxford. The Rebels gave a strong effort, and led 22-20 at halftime and 29-27 going into the fourth quarter.
But every time Ole Miss would land a punch, Auburn just fought back and kept grinding away. Sophomore Kamryn Pettway rushed for a career-high 236 yards and quarterback Sean White threw for 247 more as Auburn pulled away in the fourth quarter and won 40-29.
Coach Gus Malzahn on Pettway, who leads the SEC in rushing with 933 yards: “The offensive line did a good job, but he also just ran over some people.”
Auburn has games left with Vanderbilt, Georgia, Alabama A&M and Alabama, with the Georgia and Alabama games on the road. The Iron Bowl on November 26 now looks more interesting.

Good news for Auburn is running back Kerryon Johnson returned to action against Ole Miss and had 42 yards and two TDs on 11 carries.

<section class="social-sharing-top" style="margin: 0px 0px 30px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; float: left; position: relative; text-align: center; width: 644.813px;">SHARE
TWEET
EMAIL

</section>
butchjoneshorizon-e1477879159652.jpg
BUTCH JONES, by Kevin Jairaj/USA Today Sports

[h=3]4. TENNESSEE GAVE FLORIDA A GIFT: LESS PRESSURE[/h]Despite Tennessee’s losses to Texas A&M and Alabama, I still had the Volunteers going to the SEC championship game. Why? Because I didn’t think Florida could win out against a schedule that included road trips to Arkansas and LSU plus a home game against South Carolina.
But Tennessee’s 24-21 loss to South Carolina dropped the Vols to 2-3 in the SEC, and that means that even if Tennessee wins its final three SEC games (Kentucky, Missouri and Vanderbilt), the Gators would have to lose two of their final three games to finish in a tie with the Volunteers. A tie would give the berth in the SEC championship game to Tennessee, which beat the Gators 38-28 on September 24.
Now there is significantly less pressure on Florida, knowing that one loss cannot cost the Gators a division title.
In short, Tennessee likely saw its chance to win the SEC slip away Saturday night in Columbia, S.C.
“It starts with myself and the coaches but it’s everybody. Everybody’s going to own it (the loss),” Vols coach Butch Jones said after the game.
It will be interesting to see the mood in Knoxville on Saturday when Tennessee hosts FCS member Tennessee Tech.

[h=3]5. WILL MUSCHAMP’S DECISION ON JAKE BENTLEY HAS BEEN VINDICATED[/h]A lot of people were shaking their heads two weeks ago when South Carolina coach Will Muschamp pulled the redshirt off freshman quarterback Jake Bentley before the seventh game of the season.
But Bentley performed well on October 22 in a win over Massachusetts and certainly was a difference-maker in the win over Tennessee. Bentley was 15-of-20 for 167 yards and two touchdowns despite constant pressure from end Derek Barnett (three sacks, two quarterback hurries) and the rest of the Volunteers’ defensive front.
“I thought he (Bentley) did a nice job,” Muschamp said after the upset of the Vols. “He’s accurate with the ball. There’s no question that the way he played in that environment says a lot about his preparation and what he puts into it.”
Now South Carolina needs two wins to get to a bowl, which would be a huge accomplishment in Muschamp’s first season. The Gamecocks have Missouri, Florida, FCS opponent Western Carolina and Clemson left on the schedule. More simply put: If the Gamecocks can beat struggling Missouri this weekend, they likely go to a bowl game.

Rumors abound that Jalen Hurd has told teammates that he is leaving the Tennessee program

@JimmyHyams: Sources: Tennessee running back Jalen Hurd told teammates last night he plans to transfer and play receiver or tight end at his new school
Hurd has been upset at the way he has been used in Tennessee's zone-read scheme

m.twitter.com/JimmyHyams

Ga So @ Ole Miss (Noon) Ole Miss -21/61 -QB change for Ga So? Coming off worst offensive performance that I can ever remember them having. Ga So extra prep time from midweek tilt against rival App St. Ole Miss coming off losses to Arky, LSU, Auburn and @ aTm on deck. Ole Miss rush defense is abysmal and theoretically Ga So should be able to move it against them - OM second versus option this year (Wofford 13 points, 305 yards, 4.1 ypc). OM pass offense should absolutely shred Ga So secondary. Ga So has been lethal in these spots past two games versus SEC (2015 - 23-17 Georgia L, 2013 - 26-20 Florida W) but this new staff has effectively destroyed the Eagles offense. Miserable spot for OM - will keep letting this get bet up.

aTm @ Miss St (Noon) +12.5/72.5 aTm off NMSU win and has OM on deck. Miss St has Bama on deck - bowl hopes not eliminated just yet. Miss St just played a wild shootout with FCS Samford (662-607 yardage edge - 187 plays). aTm rush offense should have lot of success against St esp if they can get some balance and Knight can make throws. Miss St gave up 292 on ground to UK and most recently gave up 469 through air against Samford. aTm defense worse than numbers indicate and poor corner play combined with Watts status at corner lead me to believe they will be vulnerable against erratic Miss St pass offense. Should be fast.

Will have other games later on

Do you guys remember that one crazy season where Josh Dobbs and Jalen Hurd had shorter odds to win the Heisman than Lamar Jackson?

Can't believe that Kentucky has a somewhat realistic scenario where they win the East.

I was at the Cocks game this weekend. Some friends and I drunkenly took the +550 because we do it drunkenly every year and I could not believe how good we played. I wanted to wait and see what Bentley would look like against an actual defense that wasn't UMass and I was rather impressed. He was actually hanging in the pocket and finding looks down field and him on the run for some first downs brought me back to the old days.

Hopefully soon we can get out of this era where us beating you sends your program into a tailspin, but for now its hilarious. Was reading the Tenn boards last night laughing my ass off.

Mizzou has been bad but I was surprised to see us as a TD favorite. A win over mizzou would effectively ensure a Bowl this year.

Coach of the year candidates in the SEC? Malzahn? Stoops? Muschamp? Sumlin? McElwain? Orgeron?

Ga So @ Ole Miss (Noon) Ole Miss -21/61 -QB change for Ga So? Coming off worst offensive performance that I can ever remember them having. Ga So extra prep time from midweek tilt against rival App St. Ole Miss coming off losses to Arky, LSU, Auburn and @ aTm on deck. Ole Miss rush defense is abysmal and theoretically Ga So should be able to move it against them - OM second versus option this year (Wofford 13 points, 305 yards, 4.1 ypc). OM pass offense should absolutely shred Ga So secondary. Ga So has been lethal in these spots past two games versus SEC (2015 - 23-17 Georgia L, 2013 - 26-20 Florida W) but this new staff has effectively destroyed the Eagles offense. Miserable spot for OM - will keep letting this get bet up.

I would say any historical comparison for prior Georgia Southern teams to this one don't apply with the new staff as you say. I think the new coach indicated to some of the WRs that they would get more chances. Maybe it is part of how he wants to recruit certain players. And yes, they have been more focused on passing this year although not especially good at it yet. 4 weeks straight now they have 20+ pass attempts, and those weren't all games were they were down and had to throw. By comparison 2015 they had zero games with 20+ pass attempts and 2014 they had one. The last 2 weeks they are shoe-horning a true freshman QB into the mix when they have 2 senior QBs on the roster who have led this team before (although I don't know the extent of Upshaw's injury). Just kind of seems like they are doing a square peg in a round hole thing. The passing game is taking away from Breida's touches and if they are passing more there is likely some different OL schemes which this unit may or may not be well equipped to execute (they may be very good at one blocking scheme and only average at another making them less effective overall) - that is speculation on my part. But reasons to be concerned with Ga Southern right now, but on the other hand what is going on in Oxford and where are they at?

@JimmyHyams: Sources: Tennessee running back Jalen Hurd told teammates last night he plans to transfer and play receiver or tight end at his new school
Hurd has been upset at the way he has been used in Tennessee's zone-read scheme

m.twitter.com/JimmyHyams

Everyone knows that they'd be better off playing with Kamara more than Hurd and the way the Kelly kid has ran, I don't think UT would miss Hurd as long as Kamara were to be healthy. Certainly speaks to the mindset in that locker room though. Butch says "everyone needs to own this", good luck with that, we'll see.

Hurd to TE/H back needed to have happened last year. Though I know nothing of his blocking and receiving skills

Kentucky's offensive line grading out very highly these days, rotating 2 at every spot except for center of course with Toth who will undoubtedly be playing on Sundays like Larry Warford. First time in school history we've had two running backs rush for 175+ in a conference game as we saw in Columbia this past Saturday. Didn't see much improvement in Georgia's offensive line play against Florida, as they still look like one of the worst in conference in that regard. Kentucky's tackling has improved by leaps and bounds looking back at the opening So Miss game to the Mizzou game Saturday; I don't recall the defense missing a tackle all game for the first time in forever. Bend, don't break and wrap the fuck up mentality has been refreshing to watch, and new starting nose guard Naquez Pringle played very well Saturday along with Adrian Middleton (named SEC D-lineman of the week). Cats playing with house money given they've basically sealed their bowl eligibility; Commonwealth should be sold out (I'll be there!) as everyone here is juiced to be playing meaningful football in November (they were greeted by a decent sized group of fans at the airport when they arrived back from Columbia which is telling). Most aren't taking anything away from them just because the East is so shitty except for a few stubborn fans who are just salty Stoops is going to be around for the foreseeable future now. The world will end if Florida loses two of @ Arky, vs Scar or @ LSU, and Kentucky wins out at home vs UGA and @ Tenny.

Last edited:

aTm @ Miss St (Noon) Miss St +12.5/72.5 aTm off NMSU win and has OM on deck. Miss St has Bama on deck - bowl hopes not eliminated just yet. Miss St just played a wild shootout with FCS Samford (662-607 yardage edge - 187 plays). aTm rush offense should have lot of success against St esp if they can get some balance and Knight can make throws. Miss St gave up 292 on ground to UK and most recently gave up 469 through air against Samford. aTm defense worse than numbers indicate and poor corner play combined with Watts status at corner lead me to believe they will be vulnerable against erratic Miss St pass offense. Should be fast.

Vanderbilt @ Auburn (Noon) Auburn -30/50 Auburn in nasty little sammich - off OM win and UGA on deck (huge rivalry) and Vandy off of bye week and FCS prior. Vandy should be fully focused down stretch, need 2 of 4 to get 6 wins (@Aub, @Mizzou, OM, Tenn). Vanderbilt can't pass and Auburn can't be run on. Vandy actually dominated by a terrible UGA team in the game they won 17-16 in Athens - they finished less than 200 total yards of offense and I don't expect them to get to 200 yards offense here. Defensively they are more likely to get some stops than their offense is to do anything. Nice spot situationally for Vandy but taking points with the lesser in Jordan Hare is not something I like to do. Boring blowout - interested in total.

UF @ Arkansas (3:30) Arky +3/47.5 UF off big win in the cocktail party, I mean river shootout, and bye prior to that so they are healthier. UF rarely plays all that well following UGA game. Arky off of humiliation by Auburn and the bye week couldn't come at a better time. Austin Allen was knocked out of game (amazing he's lasted this long) with knee injury but came back with a knee support, it has been drained and monitored and he supposedly is a go. Brutal matchup for Hogs here in trying to get the offense going against a UF team that shuts down everything they do well. UF rush offense not good enough to take advantage of huge weakness of Arky in stopping run. Nice situational edge for Arky and if the calendar is correct this game will be played in NOVEMBERT and that mean NO FADING ARKY. I'm not saying bet on them, I'm saying whatever you do, do not bet against this team that becomes Top 10 in the leadup to the holidays. This game just looks like pure ugly and that's exactly the type of football I tend to bet on. SECW a dog to East is usually an easy money maker esp in NOVEMBERT.

Mizzou @ USCe (4:00) USCe -3/58 Mizzou off of good loss to MTSU and then dominated by UK at home last week. Defense just absolutely gashed again and offense took step in wrong direction. USCe off huge win at night against overmatched UT team. Bentley two games in and the kid born in 1997 who should still be playing high school ball is a huge upgrade for them. Mizzou has given up 634, 523, 584 and 582 yards past 4. They get some relief here against USCe offense but face a formidable defense who had some secondary attrition last game. I'm 6-0 on Mizzou totals and 0-5 when betting on them this year. If they would have come out and played the way I expected against UK then I would have favored them to win their first SEC game in sometime but it's time for me to make the major adjustment and concede they are trash right now. Biggest game in Muschamp's short tenure in Columbia as a win here improbably gets them to a bowl game against incredible odds. I saw +7 with Mizzou and started getting trigger happy but I pumped the brakes and decided I'm done losing money on them. If the total is crazy maybe I'll jump in - and it could be one way or the other.

Georgia @ UK (7:30) PICK/49 UGA off of loss to UF where they were just trashed by the UF defense. I don't have the eaxact figures in front of me but I don't know that UGA made even a hand full of first downs in the 2H of that game. Usual stuff, OL is butt, QB too young and WR that can't get open or when they do get open they can't catch. UK off of huge win at Mizzou and is actually competing to win the SEC East (lol). Matchups actually favor UGA here as they are very tough to run on and they can run sometimes on offense. UK can only run on offense and can't stop the run very well although I maintain their defense has made the largest strides in the conference the last half of their season thus far. UGA usually embarrasses UK - so if you follow SEC football and see UGA as less than a 3 point favorite there is probably something embedded deep in your soul that has you hovering over a UGA bet submission but as I keep saying and as they keep proving - it's gonna be 2018 before they put a relevant product in the field. Interested some in total but will depend on some key numbers.

Alabama @ LSU (8:00) LSU +10.5/47 Both teams off bye. Think that favors both teams for different reasons. For LSU it gives their patchwork OL a chance to mend and perhaps gel and for Bama it gives them time to adjust to scheme without Eddie Jackson at safety. Love that Kiffin has an extra week to scheme and I think the combo of him and Saban/Pruitt putting together a great plan versus the LSU staff putting together their plan is the biggest mismatch of the game. Hurts brings something to the Bama offense they've never had before and I have seen firsthand the trouble a mobile QB can cause even the best defenses. LSU offense still relatively same as before but making lots of explosive plays. Terrific skill talent on both sides of field. The LSU offense has but up nice numbers since the coaching change but I take with a grain of salt considering the opposition consists of Mizzou, Southern Miss and Ole Miss - three abysmal defensive teams. Love Bama against most pro style offenses and I like the matchup here as well. LSU defense the bigger concern as Bama fan/backer. Night game in BR is big stage for a freshman even though he has shown greater poise than 99% of 5th year seniors I've seen play the position. Bama winners of 5 in a row, LSU hasn't eclipsed the 17 point mark in that span with avg score being Bama 26-LSU 13.

Louisville @ BC (Noon) BC +30/52 Ville off come from behind road win at UVA and has Wake on deck. BC gets first ACC win in almost 2 years as they completely shutdown the NC St run game (23c for 31 yards and long of 23) and their offense had one of their best games in recent memory as they managed to score 21. I don't anticipate that level of output here for them against a very talented, albeit inconsistent (We are talking about a Bobby Petrino team here), Ville defense. When Ville starts out fast like they have in so many games they are untouchable. Hang in there and make it a game through the 1Q and they are mere mortals as it allows you to still run some of your balanced offense. BC is going to have a really hard time stopping them but I trust their defense here at home a lot more than their offense but I do expect a mildly inspired Ville team. I have a feeling Bobby Petrino was bullied a ton as a kid and even though they won last week he prob has his feelings hurt (like on the playground) and a public pedestal (with all of 6th grade in the lunch room) against BC to show how tough he his. Mild interest in total here but it's tough to make on Ville game often times due to volatility.

GT @ UNC (12:30) UNC -7.5/61 GT off of crazy game against Duke they were pretty fortunate to win after jumping up big early through crazy events only to trail late. GT rush offense against UNC rush defense is large mismatch although I have seen improvement from UNC this year - also prob a function of past several opponents. UNC off bye with extra time to option prep. As long as weather is okay, UNC should have a ton of success passing against this GT defense. I think both teams offensive strengths rate to expose the other defense. Tough to total a GT game in 60's due to pace but equally tough to total UNC game in 50's so here we are. UNC winners of past two and all 3 past games have been one possession (38-31, 48-43, 20-28) and UNC tends to play tight games. I always lean to GT under Johnson getting TD+ and I'll keep working on this one while maybe seeing if total is funky. GT or nothing on the side, IMO.

Pitt @ Miami (12:30) PICK/61 Pitt off of Thursday home loss to VT in which they have no one other than their HC and DC to fault for coaching and leaving their poor secondary exposed against a good pass attack. Concern for me would be they do it again because you look at their pass defense numbers and it seems to be what is happening each week. On paper, Miami has the tools to exploit that pass defense but hard to gauge Miami mental state after epic collapse past month. If not for ND deciding to just lose their minds on ST last week, they would have gotten boat raced. Miami DL still so thin and going to face a barrage of Pitt rushers to test them in that area. This total is a nightmare to make as have been most Pitt totals this year so I went ahead and put in the 60's so as to not be tempted to bet under and then be disappointed Saturday afternoon. Pitt +6 was available early Sunday and I got greedy seeing if I could get a 7 but PICK more likely than 7 so I'll prob just sit this one out with a Pitt lean.

UVA @ Wake (3:00) PICK/49 Wake off home loss to Army in which they had two weeks to prep to stop the option. Wake offense is their problem, they have only eclipsed the 400 yard mark once and that was against FCS. Their strength is rush defense but the UVA strength is more passing the ball although they would like to have balance and aren't an air raid. UVA off string of home games where they finished 0-3 but 1-2 or 2-1 would probably have been a more fair result. Team is improving and will be one to watch next year but going on road here even against a Wake team that I don't think highly of prob isn't a game where I want to get involved. UVA rush defense solid and that's all Wake can do so some minor matchups in favor of UVA while situation in favor of Wake as they have two shots at home to win one and go bowling. Will prob pass unless total is crazy.

Syracuse @ Clemson (3:30) Clemson -22/73 Clemson coming off bye and huge road win at FSU to get that Mouse off their back. Syracuse off bye which is well timed as they've been dealing with injuries up front. Cuse off B2B wins over VT and BC so while the bye week helps from injury standpoint it's kind of a bummer as they had such nice momentum going. I'm very confident Cuse can score in the 20's here and even though I don't love the Clemson offense and the Cuse defense is def improving there is a major athleticism mismatch in favor of Clemson. Situationally it's a brilliant spot for Cuse and I think stylistically it helps give them less disadvantages than a diff style air raid offense that didn't utilize the tempo and a few unique things they do. I bet Cuse +28.5 and will probably get an opportunity to bet the over - there could be a LOT of plays run in this game. Really need weather to be okay on both side and potentially total - extended forecast looks fine.

VT @ Duke (3:30) Duke +11.5/59 VT off consecutive Thursday night games and gets some extra prep time here. Duke off bye and then most recently at GT in hard fought loss. On paper it doesn't look like Duke should have a ton of success offensively but last year they certainly did 450 yards and 45 points (lol) and VT scored 43 on 450 yards also (lol). Last 3 all decided by 3 or less in this series. Biggest advantage as I see it is VT pass offense against Duke pass defense although Evans tweaked ankle last game and his mobility is part of what makes him such a good QB.

FSU @ NC State (7:00) FSU -6/48.5 FSU off of bye and then the back breaking home loss to Clemson and BC on deck. NC State off drubbing by Ville and then embarrassing home loss to BC and a trip to Cuse on deck. I think both DL should really dominate in this game. FSU OL let Francois take yet another unreal beating last week and the NC St rush offense was absolutely embarrassed last game against BC. My gut tells me NC St is the side, however, I can't look past that rush performance last time out. Just hard to back a team that may really struggle to run when you have a pass offense that doesn't explode much either. FSU winners of last 3 but NC St used to be a great home dog I think it was under O'Brien but I haven't noticed the trend continuing as much as of late but haven't properly tracked it. I'm interested in the total here as the FSU pass offense is also inconsistent and I do like the NC St rush defense to have success against Cook.

Some shockers this week!

Ville/BC Under 60
Syracuse/Clemson Over 58
FSU/NC State Under 58
ECU/Tulsa Over 72.5
Mizzou/USce Over 52.5
Oregon/USC Over 75.5
aTm/Miss St Over 60.5
Neb/tOSU Under 54

Also took VT/Duke Over 52.5 -- didn't really want to be involved but this is too low to pass, IMO.

SEC:

Bama -7
Ga Southern +28.5 -122
Mizzou/USce Over 52.5
aTm/Miss St Over 60.5

ACC:

Syracuse +28.5
Ville/BC Under 60
VT/Duke Over 52.5
Syracuse/Clemson Over 58
FSU/NC State Under 58

Other:

Penn St -4 (GOY line)
Cal +17
Oregon State +16
ECU/Tulsa Over 72.5
Oregon/USC Over 75.5
Neb/tOSU Under 54
AFA/Army Under 50

Last edited:
Thanks I bet it middle of last week so it really wasn't ever available this week. Lowest i saw it was -5.5 this week, I think. I handicap the next week initially by middle of current week and then go back and make further adjustments on Sunday and Monday so that has worked well when it comes to grabbing some of the GOY options I get every week for the next week.

I also like the cocks over. I am looking at 54 but think that is still a strong bet. Bentley looks solid and I think he will move the ball on these guys and we know how fast Mizzou will keep the game even though I think our secondary will fair decently against them.

Coach of the year candidates in the SEC? Malzahn? Stoops? Muschamp? Sumlin? McElwain? Orgeron?

I think a lot still to be decided in next month. Most likely candidate has to be Stoops or whoever wins the west not named Saban. Mac I can't see.

I also like the cocks over. I am looking at 54 but think that is still a strong bet. Bentley looks solid and I think he will move the ball on these guys and we know how fast Mizzou will keep the game even though I think our secondary will fair decently against them.
I really like Bentley. Amazing he is a High school Senior right now.

I would say any historical comparison for prior Georgia Southern teams to this one don't apply with the new staff as you say. I think the new coach indicated to some of the WRs that they would get more chances. Maybe it is part of how he wants to recruit certain players. And yes, they have been more focused on passing this year although not especially good at it yet. 4 weeks straight now they have 20+ pass attempts, and those weren't all games were they were down and had to throw. By comparison 2015 they had zero games with 20+ pass attempts and 2014 they had one. The last 2 weeks they are shoe-horning a true freshman QB into the mix when they have 2 senior QBs on the roster who have led this team before (although I don't know the extent of Upshaw's injury). Just kind of seems like they are doing a square peg in a round hole thing. The passing game is taking away from Breida's touches and if they are passing more there is likely some different OL schemes which this unit may or may not be well equipped to execute (they may be very good at one blocking scheme and only average at another making them less effective overall) - that is speculation on my part. But reasons to be concerned with Ga Southern right now, but on the other hand what is going on in Oxford and where are they at?

I'm truly grieved with what the Ga So staff is doing. I've lived in GA for 25 years and have lots of friends that went to school there and I have rooted for them both as a fan and more recently as a gambler and they have been one of my most profitable teams. Breida is a guy that is an NFL talent and was poised to be drafted and after this year and the way they have grossly underutilized him is just terrible. I know from a political standpoint the UGA staff under Smart and the Ga So staff with Summers are chummy and well connected and it's GT on the outside of their fraternity and who knows what impact any of that can have down the road when evaluating what to do at either school. This is on Tyson Summers wikipedia page and I swear it wasn't me who added it - "2016 He is also credited with single handedly destroying one of the FBS's offensive powers in 7 months. Unfortunately, it was his own offense." What a terrible job they have done, just miserable.

Everyone knows that they'd be better off playing with Kamara more than Hurd and the way the Kelly kid has ran, I don't think UT would miss Hurd as long as Kamara were to be healthy. Certainly speaks to the mindset in that locker room though. Butch says "everyone needs to own this", good luck with that, we'll see.

Kelly is going to be really good. Hurd would be a nice contributor at Bama on punt and kick coverage - maybe he will come captain the ST's

Hurd to TE/H back needed to have happened last year. Though I know nothing of his blocking and receiving skills

He's fantastic at both - particularly pass blocking. This will be a good move for him if he aspires to play at next level

Kentucky's offensive line grading out very highly these days, rotating 2 at every spot except for center of course with Toth who will undoubtedly be playing on Sundays like Larry Warford. First time in school history we've had two running backs rush for 175+ in a conference game as we saw in Columbia this past Saturday. Didn't see much improvement in Georgia's offensive line play against Florida, as they still look like one of the worst in conference in that regard. Kentucky's tackling has improved by leaps and bounds looking back at the opening So Miss game to the Mizzou game Saturday; I don't recall the defense missing a tackle all game for the first time in forever. Bend, don't break and wrap the fuck up mentality has been refreshing to watch, and new starting nose guard Naquez Pringle played very well Saturday along with Adrian Middleton (named SEC D-lineman of the week). Cats playing with house money given they've basically sealed their bowl eligibility; Commonwealth should be sold out (I'll be there!) as everyone here is juiced to be playing meaningful football in November (they were greeted by a decent sized group of fans at the airport when they arrived back from Columbia which is telling). Most aren't taking anything away from them just because the East is so shitty except for a few stubborn fans who are just salty Stoops is going to be around for the foreseeable future now. The world will end if Florida loses two of @ Arky, vs Scar or @ LSU, and Kentucky wins out at home vs UGA and @ Tenny.

Agree with you particularly with the defense and the strides made on that side of the ball. I'll tell you who I'm still shocked has been the bust he has is Matt Elam. I wonder if he would have come to Bama if the 4Q program would have helped him to maximize that potential? Not knocking UK S&C program, I know nothing about it, more of the familiarity of how it has helped so many at Bama. Boom's rush numbers have been better but I feel like a lot of that was done earlier in year - it's Snell who is regularly flashing to me when I watch the Cats. Amazing those guys have done as well as they have with Johnson under center. Tribute to the OL as you mentioned - the advanced S&P stats for their OL are fantastic.

I agree. Him coming in and getting Samuel and Edwards healthy at WR and they actually have a functional offense. Should be able to hang nice number against Mizzou this weekend

Kind of makes you wonder how the first half of the season would have been with him. Maybe now with a functional QB I can actually make a determination on Roper at OC.

Agree with you particularly with the defense and the strides made on that side of the ball. I'll tell you who I'm still shocked has been the bust he has is Matt Elam. I wonder if he would have come to Bama if the 4Q program would have helped him to maximize that potential? Not knocking UK S&C program, I know nothing about it, more of the familiarity of how it has helped so many at Bama. Boom's rush numbers have been better but I feel like a lot of that was done earlier in year - it's Snell who is regularly flashing to me when I watch the Cats. Amazing those guys have done as well as they have with Johnson under center. Tribute to the OL as you mentioned - the advanced S&P stats for their OL are fantastic.

Biggest problem with Elam imo other being vastly overrated coming out of high school is his conditioning first and foremost; he has been unable to show enough discipline with his diet in order to maintain his weight ever since he has been at UK. He isn't explosive, has bad/slow feet and when you factor in his height on top of those things he is a detriment at the nose. If he doesn't have the will power/mindset to put down the junk food when nobody is watching, then there's nothing anybody can do for him.

Arky up to +5.5? I'm the worst at grabbing lines early in the week.

you're the first person i thought of when I saw the line this morning; ah well. mise well sprinkle a little something on that +185 as well. GL, I'll be pulling for ya like no other

Iowa @ Penn St (7:30) Penn St -9.5/47 I bet Penn State -4 at home against Iowa a couple weeks ago on the GOY lines. It was -1 before Wisky/Iowa and Penn St/tOSU but I didn't bet it then although I wanted to - kicking myself now. I made the line -9.5. BOL has PSU -6.5 -105 currently my gut says BM opens it closer to -4.5. Per usual, no idea how an Iowa team that is trending the wrong way offensively moves it against a defense, and team for that matter, that is improving exponentially each week. McSorley settling in nicely to Moorehead's offense, using his legs more now making a huge difference. Penn St weathered one of the worst situational spots of season and handled Purdue in a way that certainly surprised me, although I didn't watch more than 10 plays. PSU winners of past two and the DL should create major problems for Iowa OL that is still getting consistently beat. Ferentz not very good off bye, I looked it up when capping this awhile back but it's like 6-6 or 7-7 SU and even worse coming off bye and going on road. Night game in Happy Valley with PSU playing for the division. 30-17 PSU -4

Washington @ Cal (10:30) Cal +13/72 Washington off Gameday win in SLC and have gameday on deck with USC coming to town - this is a terrible sammich spot for them esp against a team that provides something totally different stylistically. Cal were victims of scheduling and terrible situationals last week going on road off short week to USC who was coming off a bye. This game is mainly a situational play for me against a very good Wash team that is learning to live in the spotlight and manage the emotional aspects of being on top. Cal playing with house money here and I sense they play loose - they beat Washington 30-24 last year and completely shut down the Wash offense. Wash could just pound it down their throat and I wouldn't be shocked but I think Cal is an attractive home dog here with lots of back door potential. 41-28 Cal +17

Oregon State @ Stanford (3:30) Stanford -7.5/42 Oregon State off close home loss to Wazzou where they hit several big plays in the 1H, dominated on defense in that half but ultimately lost late as 2 TD dogs. Stanford had their best scoring output of the year at Arizona scoring 34. Thing is, they did it on 341 yards and that output is obviously inflated - 4 of their 6 scoring drives were less than 40 yards - they made a QB switch but are still terrible passing. On paper the matchups really favor Stanford as they can run and stop the run and Oregon State is poor stopping run and their strength is on the ground offensively. However, they are a diff team since the QB change and I really like the balance they have shown. A team as bad as Stanford is offensively has no business being a two TD+ favorite against a conference opponent. They could crush Oregon State by 50 and I would take the dog out of principle again. They have only gained 300 yards on offense once since September and that was last week against the worst team in the conference. I like the dog when I'm possibly catching half as many points as may be scored total in the game. I'm gonna keep on riding the Beavs as a big dog. 24-16 Beavs +16

ECU @ Tulsa (8:00) Tulsa -7/82 ECU offense finally found points after the majority of the season having HUGE offensive production but very little scoring. They avg over 475 ypg but only 25 points - that's crazy. They find a defense here that is willing to give you about as much as you like and an offense that is very comfortable just scoring an extra TD as needed. Tulsa offense off consecutive 50+ point outputs and their defense has only faced one offense that is even decent passing, Memphis last week, and they gave up 508 yards and 30 points. Should be one of fastest paced games of the weekend. 45-38 ECU/Tulsa O72.5

Oregon @ USC (7:00) USC -17/85 Oregon coming off win at home against Arizona St. The offense finally got humming and the kid looked great running the offense. Things trending in right direction for them offensively, however, it's incredibly concerning the 35 points and 468 yards of offense they allowed Az St to rack up with a 9th string QB. On the other side of the ball they get a USC offense that is at it's peak and benefiting greatly from the young QB and his play. They should run and pass and do whatever they want to Oregon and the Ducks have proven to be a thorn for in the side to the USC defense over the past several games scoring 48, 62, 35, 53 and 47. I don't expect them to do quite that well but USC could return the favor and hang a number against the worst front 7 I can remember seeing at a P5 school. 51-34 Oregon/USC O75.5

Neb @ tOSU (8:00) tOSU -14.5/45 Neb off OT loss at Wisconsin who was their first quality opponent. tOSU off PSU loss and close win at home against NW. They get a visit here from another slow moving, offensively challenged team here. Both teams OL are a hot mess right now and face a couple quality defensive fronts. Neb especially is just decimated by injury and have very little to no explosive players that I can see. Fortunately, their defense should keep them in it - they have only allowed 400 yards once (Oregon) and have held last 4 to 270-333-333-337 and 16-22-14-23(OT). Ohio State defense should have no problem stopping Neb. Should be a grinder. 27-13 Neb/tOSU Under 54

AFA @ Army (Noon) Army +3/37.5 AFA held Navy to 1.5 ypc and a long of 13 and not single other carry in double digits. AFA has held Army to 3 and 6 the past 2 years - 2.8 ypc last year and Army held AFA to 4.2 20-3 and 23-6. AFA beat Navy 28-14 already this season and see option again. AFA QB situation in flux, Romine has been terrible and got replaced by Worthman last week who was much more athletic although probably not quite the passer that Romine is but we dont know for sure because Worthman didn't throw a pass but ran 20 times. I would prefer Romine start even though it may mean more passing because he isn't near the athlete that Worthman appears to be. Depth chart shows Romine as starter but i've come to understand that Troy Calhoun often plays possum in regards to injury and personnel. 20-17 AFA/Army U50

Biggest problem with Elam imo other being vastly overrated coming out of high school is his conditioning first and foremost; he has been unable to show enough discipline with his diet in order to maintain his weight ever since he has been at UK. He isn't explosive, has bad/slow feet and when you factor in his height on top of those things he is a detriment at the nose. If he doesn't have the will power/mindset to put down the junk food when nobody is watching, then there's nothing anybody can do for him.

:shake2:

aTm @ Miss St (Noon) Miss St +12.5/72.5 aTm off NMSU win and has OM on deck. Miss St has Bama on deck - bowl hopes not eliminated just yet. Miss St just played a wild shootout with FCS Samford (662-607 yardage edge - 187 plays). aTm rush offense should have lot of success against St esp if they can get some balance and Knight can make throws. Miss St gave up 292 on ground to UK and most recently gave up 469 through air against Samford. aTm defense worse than numbers indicate and poor corner play combined with Watts status at corner lead me to believe they will be vulnerable against erratic Miss St pass offense. Should be fast.

Vanderbilt @ Auburn (Noon) Auburn -30/50 Auburn in nasty little sammich - off OM win and UGA on deck (huge rivalry) and Vandy off of bye week and FCS prior. Vandy should be fully focused down stretch, need 2 of 4 to get 6 wins (@Aub, @Mizzou, OM, Tenn). Vanderbilt can't pass and Auburn can't be run on. Vandy actually dominated by a terrible UGA team in the game they won 17-16 in Athens - they finished less than 200 total yards of offense and I don't expect them to get to 200 yards offense here. Defensively they are more likely to get some stops than their offense is to do anything. Nice spot situationally for Vandy but taking points with the lesser in Jordan Hare is not something I like to do. Boring blowout - interested in total.

UF @ Arkansas (3:30) Arky +3/47.5 UF off big win in the cocktail party, I mean river shootout, and bye prior to that so they are healthier. UF rarely plays all that well following UGA game. Arky off of humiliation by Auburn and the bye week couldn't come at a better time. Austin Allen was knocked out of game (amazing he's lasted this long) with knee injury but came back with a knee support, it has been drained and monitored and he supposedly is a go. Brutal matchup for Hogs here in trying to get the offense going against a UF team that shuts down everything they do well. UF rush offense not good enough to take advantage of huge weakness of Arky in stopping run. Nice situational edge for Arky and if the calendar is correct this game will be played in NOVEMBERT and that mean NO FADING ARKY. I'm not saying bet on them, I'm saying whatever you do, do not bet against this team that becomes Top 10 in the leadup to the holidays. This game just looks like pure ugly and that's exactly the type of football I tend to bet on. SECW a dog to East is usually an easy money maker esp in NOVEMBERT.

Mizzou @ USCe (4:00) USCe -3/58 Mizzou off of good loss to MTSU and then dominated by UK at home last week. Defense just absolutely gashed again and offense took step in wrong direction. USCe off huge win at night against overmatched UT team. Bentley two games in and the kid born in 1997 who should still be playing high school ball is a huge upgrade for them. Mizzou has given up 634, 523, 584 and 582 yards past 4. They get some relief here against USCe offense but face a formidable defense who had some secondary attrition last game. I'm 6-0 on Mizzou totals and 0-5 when betting on them this year. If they would have come out and played the way I expected against UK then I would have favored them to win their first SEC game in sometime but it's time for me to make the major adjustment and concede they are trash right now. Biggest game in Muschamp's short tenure in Columbia as a win here improbably gets them to a bowl game against incredible odds. I saw +7 with Mizzou and started getting trigger happy but I pumped the brakes and decided I'm done losing money on them. If the total is crazy maybe I'll jump in - and it could be one way or the other.

Georgia @ UK (7:30) PICK/49 UGA off of loss to UF where they were just trashed by the UF defense. I don't have the eaxact figures in front of me but I don't know that UGA made even a hand full of first downs in the 2H of that game. Usual stuff, OL is butt, QB too young and WR that can't get open or when they do get open they can't catch. UK off of huge win at Mizzou and is actually competing to win the SEC East (lol). Matchups actually favor UGA here as they are very tough to run on and they can run sometimes on offense. UK can only run on offense and can't stop the run very well although I maintain their defense has made the largest strides in the conference the last half of their season thus far. UGA usually embarrasses UK - so if you follow SEC football and see UGA as less than a 3 point favorite there is probably something embedded deep in your soul that has you hovering over a UGA bet submission but as I keep saying and as they keep proving - it's gonna be 2018 before they put a relevant product in the field. Interested some in total but will depend on some key numbers.

Alabama @ LSU (8:00) LSU +10.5/47 Both teams off bye. Think that favors both teams for different reasons. For LSU it gives their patchwork OL a chance to mend and perhaps gel and for Bama it gives them time to adjust to scheme without Eddie Jackson at safety. Love that Kiffin has an extra week to scheme and I think the combo of him and Saban/Pruitt putting together a great plan versus the LSU staff putting together their plan is the biggest mismatch of the game. Hurts brings something to the Bama offense they've never had before and I have seen firsthand the trouble a mobile QB can cause even the best defenses. LSU offense still relatively same as before but making lots of explosive plays. Terrific skill talent on both sides of field. The LSU offense has but up nice numbers since the coaching change but I take with a grain of salt considering the opposition consists of Mizzou, Southern Miss and Ole Miss - three abysmal defensive teams. Love Bama against most pro style offenses and I like the matchup here as well. LSU defense the bigger concern as Bama fan/backer. Night game in BR is big stage for a freshman even though he has shown greater poise than 99% of 5th year seniors I've seen play the position. Bama winners of 5 in a row, LSU hasn't eclipsed the 17 point mark in that span with avg score being Bama 26-LSU 13.

whatistheconsensus

bama fans seem pretty calm, and lsu fans cautious.......game has a really weird feel to it as it gets closer

Agree - does sort of have a weird feeling to it. Almost like the early rounds of a prize fight where both guys are feeling each other out - at least that's how I feel. Good thing we don't get after each other anymore like we used to on here haha. I honestly havent really been on the bama boards or reading up much on it so far. You going to game and where it MOT?

Really excited for this battle Saturday night....hope LSU can keep it interesting for viewing purposes. Going to need the QB to make some plays obviously.

That's a no-shitter right there! Great pic in your avatar of one of the men responsible for all this. :shake:

whatistheconsensus

bama fans seem pretty calm, and lsu fans cautious.......game has a really weird feel to it as it gets closer

I think LSU having 2 losses and being an afterthought nationally since week 1 loss to Wisconsin has lessened some of the spark that it usually has. Seems like both teams have been at least top 10 for the last 5-7 years. Even though O is 4 games in, still hard to say for sure what kind of team they are. Obviously the team is playing with more confidence and there's much more enthusiasm. But as has been the case the past several years, you can't out-Bama Alabama. Etling will have to make plays with his arm for LSU to have a chance, and I'm not sure he can do it, especially because our DL should be all over him all game. I think Fournette will have a better day than last year, but he's not going to see holes like he did against Ole Miss. I can see Hurts struggling to pass it, but with his ability in the zone-read, I don't think the offense will stagnate like it did until late in 2014 against LSU. I think it will be relatively low scoring, probably a little boring to most of the public, but Alabama pulls away and wins something like 24-14. But a multi-turn over, missed FG loss for Alabama wouldn't shock me

I imagine the ratings are going to be enormous. Even if tOSU and Neb were undefeated I wouldnt see it really have near the same draw. If there is a Saturday in Nov where you just wanna hang with the wife and kids until dinner and skip football this is prob the best candidate for it. Not much to get excited about other than the game in BR, IMO. First time I can really remember only 2 games in whole day with ranked opponents playing and they both start at 8

Back