SEC Championship

crawdads

Fairway to Heaven
What are your thoughts?

Been waiting for this game since LSU beat Bama. UGA losing Cager was huge, Pickens being suspended on top of that really hurts an offense that has been painful to watch this year. I think the defense is a bit overrated considering how bad the East is as they didn't really play any dynamic offenses (unless you count ND). I thought the line would be closer to 12. That LSU offense in a dome is scary. I also haven't seen this UGA team get much pressure on the opposing team quarterbacks. The one interesting element is that this game might mean more for UGA. Complacency?

Why would LSU be complacent? Their ticket should not be cashed already for a playoff spot.

Key personnel losses for UGA is gonna make it tough.

Why would LSU be complacent? Their ticket should not be cashed already for a playoff spot.

Key personnel losses for UGA is gonna make it tough.

Give me a scenario where LSU loses and they don't get in? Are you putting in Baylor or Oklahoma over them?

SEC was 5-5 vs the other P5 conferences. Why should they get the nod over the Big12 Champ whose conference was 6-4 vs the other P5 conferences?

SEC was 5-5 vs the other P5 conferences. Why should they get the nod over the Big12 Champ whose conference was 6-4 vs the other P5 conferences?
'Does it really matter what Kentucky and Vandy do? The goal is to put the 4 best teams in. If you think a 1 loss LSU isn't in the top 4 because they lost to end the year then so be it. You are wrong, but it's all good.

Lol. What would you make the line if Baylor played LSU on a neutral field, just out of curiosity?

LSU would be a DD fave by my PR.

I am also down about 15 units right now though ... laid dd with TCU and Arkansas State this past week .. both losers.

Not arguing one way or the other but I’m going to need a source for this. I can think of 7 wins off the top of my head.

Agreed. UGA beat ND (maybe not a p5) and Ga Tech. LSU beat Texas, Florida beat Fl ST and Miami. Bama beat Duke. I guess if you want to say that LSU isn't going to make the playoffs because Arkansas lost to Western Kentucky then great.

Isn't the committee's goal to put the 4 best teams in? It's not to put conference champions in. I think that's been evident since the playoffs started.
And there lies my issue with this set up. That allows feelings to get involved. Without it being played out on the field, they are assuming.

And before we go down the "this team has x amount of top 25 wins". Let's not forget that 12/14 SEC team scared preseason ranked. When OOC scheduling is bad, they beat each other. Which turns into quality losses, keeping these teams ranked.

And there lies my issue with this set up. That allows feelings to get involved. Without it being played out on the field, they are assuming.

And before we go down the "this team has x amount of top 25 wins". Let's not forget that 12/14 SEC team scared preseason ranked. When OOC scheduling is bad, they beat each other. Which turns into quality losses, keeping these teams ranked.

Self-fulfilling prophecy

Isn't the committee's goal to put the 4 best teams in? It's not to put conference champions in. I think that's been evident since the playoffs started.

This is the biggest crock of shit ever, but unfortunately it seems to be true. Why would a committee need to decide which are the “4 best teams” when we can just use the results on the field to do so? Why in the world would subjectivity be the rule as opposed to objectivity?

As I just posted in the other thread, it is ridiculously fucking idiotic to have a 4 team playoff and 5 Power conferences. It literally makes no sense at all, and there couldn’t be a worse idea. 6 team playoff, the 5 Power conference champions get in and then one at large team. Takes almost all of the subjectivity out of it (outside of the one at large, which would automatically go to an undefeated non-Power 5 so there may not be a decision anyway).

Well if we are using the best 4 teams then shouldn't Alabama be in the playoffs? They are top 4 in every power ranking in the United States and abroad.

You can either crown a champion or a “best team.” You cannot do both. If you want a champion to be crowned, you don’t use subjectivity to get the playoff participants, that’s just fucking dumb. There is no other sport that doesn’t use the results on the field to determine a “champion.” If the NCAA wants to continue this charade, then stop calling the winning team at the end of the playoff the champion and start calling them the “best team.”

So if we include Notre Dame I see 9-6 vs 6-4

Also:
B1G 5-5
ACC 4-14 (obviously skewed by ND setup, 4-9 without ND)
PAC 5-3

Exactly. We aren't talking about which conference is better though, we are talking about taking TWO teams from one conference because that conference is SOOOOOOO much better than the rest. HUGE difference.

Exactly. We aren't talking about which conference is better though, we are talking about taking TWO teams from one conference because that conference is SOOOOOOO much better than the rest. HUGE difference.
I’m using the comparison you posted sir.

Imagine in the NFL if they started adopting this idiotic philosophy of getting the “best teams” in the playoffs. Do the Browns make it because their roster (and by logic, their team) is better than other teams who won more games and earned a spot in the playoffs?

Every year this discussion comes up, and every year it pisses me off more than the year before. Either make it a 6 team playoff, since you have 5 “power” conferences, or stop with the bullshit that you’re actually trying to crown a “champion.”

I’m using the comparison you posted sir.

Yes.

It backs up my point. Where is the SEC so dominant that they deserve two teams? Not in that comparison I posted that is for damn sure. Not even remotely close, and certainly don't look even as good as the BIG12.

Imagine in the NFL if they started adopting this idiotic philosophy of getting the “best teams” in the playoffs. Do the Browns make it because their roster (and by logic, their team) is better than other teams who won more games and earned a spot in the playoffs?

Every year this discussion comes up, and every year it pisses me off more than the year before. Either make it a 6 team playoff, since you have 5 “power” conferences, or stop with the bullshit that you’re actually trying to crown a “champion.”

I am the same way. A subjective champion is not a champion at all and is the anti-thesis of sports

Then why schedule non conference games during the season if they don't matter? I would much rather see UGA play ND then the shit Baylor scheduled.

Yes.

It backs up my point. Where is the SEC so dominant that they deserve two teams? Not in that comparison I posted that is for damn sure. Not even remotely close, and certainly don't look even as good as the BIG12.
If they “deserve” two teams then someone else would simply take Georgia’s place if they lose this week. Are some here under the impression Alabama, Florida, or Auburn will get their name called next week? You would think that’s the case from reading some of the posts here.

Then why schedule non conference games during the season if they don't matter? I would much rather see UGA play ND then the shit Baylor scheduled.

Sure, why schedule them? I agree. Who doesn’t agree with this? Play your conference schedule then the conference championship, then the playoffs begin.

The answer to this question is money, just in case you were being serious with the question.

If they “deserve” two teams then someone else would simply take Georgia’s place if they lose this week. Are some here under the impression Alabama, Florida, or Auburn will get their name called next week? You would think that’s the case from reading some of the posts here.

Well since Bama lost this isn’t going to happen this year, but you’re acting as if it hasn’t happened in the recent past. It did.

Even more reason that having 6 teams in the playoff with the 5 “Power conference” champions and one at large is the answer...the OOC matchups could be awesome. There wouldn’t be any downside to scheduling a game with another powerhouse...as long as you win your conference you’re in. Imagine the matchups we may get every year...it would be awesome for fans. There would be no reason Bama, or tOSU doesnt schedule each other...since the loss either would undertake wouldn’t mean a fucking thing to them still getting into the playoffs.

Well since Bama lost this isn’t going to happen this year, but you’re acting as if it hasn’t happened in the recent past. It did.
Of course it happened, I’m saying it had more to do with the individual teams than some vast conspiracy to put two SEC teams in.

Of course it happened, I’m saying it had more to do with the individual teams than some vast conspiracy to put two SEC teams in.
The great thing about taking conference champions is you don't have to worry about conspiracies outside of the field of play. You could still get Toledo or Florida Based Team activities on the field .. but at least it was on the field.

Take your and VK‘s logic one step further. Why prioritize the power conferences — on what substantial basis? Like why should Rutgers be more entitled to a playoff spot than Memphis?

Take your and VK‘s logic one step further. Why prioritize the power conferences — on what substantial basis? Like why should Rutgers be more entitled to a playoff spot than Memphis?

They aren't in my world.

Have 8 conferences. Take all conference champions. No subjectivity involved. Win your conference, make the playoffs. Don't win your conference, you do not deserve to make the playoffs.

In that instance all teams control their own destiny and cannot complain

Based off your logic of a 6 team playoff, are you saying if Virginia beats Clemson and has 3 losses (including to Lousiville and Miami) they would deserve to be in over a 1 loss Ohio St or LSU team?

Then I’m missing your point. It happened, it should NEVER happen, regardless of the conference. How can anyone justify a “power 5” conference champion not getting in while a 2nd team from some other conference does get in? It make absolutely no sense at all...and the same people who set this up are the ones who designated the “power 5,” so clearly we know they’re fucking idiots. But back to your point...are you saying that just because it won’t happen this year everything’s great?

It would also lead to more balance across college football so we are not stuck watching the same teams in the playoffs every year. The talent would spread out more.

Based off your logic of a 6 team playoff, are you saying if Virginia beats Clemson and has 3 losses (including to Lousiville and Miami) they would deserve to be in over a 1 loss Ohio St or LSU team?

Yes. If they win the conference they’re in. Can you name another sport that use some subjectivity, outside of figure skating of course?

What seems to be the issue with the actual champions of the conference getting in ahead of those some people “think” are deserving? It literally goes against everything anyone who plays sports has been taught since day one. And it’s fucking dumb.

We could also go back to
Thanks for answering the initial question. GL on your wager.

Again, sorry for derail. I will discuss this other stuff in the other two threads we have on the subject.

I haven't capped the game yet but appears a tough handicap at first glance in all respects (side, total, motivation)

Back