Saturday, September 22nd Plays and Analysis Thread

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
25-21-1 +10.95 units

Very interesting week to say the least. I ended up hammering Texas Tech as STEED posted the rest of the play for me right before gametime. I also played a bit more on Hawaii and Florida over so I posted down one unit but was about even when I put the local stuff together with offshore. It definetly could have been a better week but shit happens. The biggest thing I learned is to keep with instinct and have patience. Hunt and myself loved that Florida over but got discouraged when it went to 58 after opening at 52. Patience paid off and it slipped back to 55 and that was playable. I can't complain after three weeks being on pace for a solid season. I have left some money out there though and its time to tie up the loose ends and keep the ball rolling into conference play.

Washington @ UCLA

Well, the Bruins sure stink-bombed one last week didn't they? I liked the game early in week but just felt weird about it. It makes no sense for Utah to win 44-6 but this is college football. Anything can happen on any given day. I still regard the Bruins pretty highly although not top-10 highly anymoe. Just a very good team that couldn't do anything right last week. The stats for the game were basically the same. Yes, it got closer in garbage time but not an overwhelming difference. Once it rained, it pourd on UCLA. Turnovers and penalties killed them. The six points is not reflective of the offense either.

Washington had a huge game at home against the Buckeyes. Despite some great play at times from Jake Locker he made the errors you would expect from a youngster against great defense. Washington showed some chinks in their defense as well in the second half. It has to be tough for the young Huskies to have been driving up 7-3 to start the 2nd half and then get blitzed by 24 consecutive points. They got humbled by the OSU team.

This is a classic over-reaction to a game early move on a line. It opened up 9 and when I played it last night was at 5. It stands at 5.5 currently. UCLA simply needs to avoid turnovers and run it down UW's throats. They ran well last week but had to play catch-up all second half. Before the games last week I think we would have seen a line in the 10 range. Well, it basically was at open but the push has put it under 7 which makes it a play for me. Motivated Bruin team against a Husky team perhaps in an emotional letdown. UCLA 31-17

UCLA -5 -110 2 units
Washington +6 -110 2 units
(I had to hedge here with the injury issues. Will take loss of juice or hopefully push on one)

Kentucky @ Arkansas

Both teams played huge rivalry games at home last week. Both games came down to basically a final play/drive. Kentucky won while Arkansas saw a valiant comeback wasted. I know that many will point out that these could be letdown spots here. I totally understand. Teams can react in so many different ways but you have to go on gut, instinct and the feel you get from the teams.

We know what Arkansas is all about. They are gonna use Felix and D-Mac as much as possible and try and wear teams down. What we have learned a lot of so far this year is the pass defense is very poor. I think the comeback and subsequent last minute loss took a lot out of this team. Thats what I have gathered so far and my gut tells me as much. They were getting stomped. They gave up 330 to Parker-Wilson and almost 5.0 yards per carry. Those are ominous signs entering this week..

Kentucky, this is a team I wanted to hit against UL but never touched because I got "scared" of the line. Thats what I said earlier in the thread about sticking with your gut. Great win late in a very entertaining game. Woodson was terrific as was the whole offense. They "held" UL to 34 points. Not too bad of a feat in itself. I think that win just elevates this team. I don't see a letdown here at all. I think this team is going to win a game it shouldn't down the stretch and perhaps really mess up this SEC race.

This game, the line dictates that Arkansas would be favored at Kentucky. I personally would have UK by 3-4 at home and thats a 10-11 point swing. I just don't see it. I think Knetucky has a great shot of winning staright up here. Yes, Jones/D-Mac will cause problems but UK is simply too good on offense and should score at will. Kentucky wins on a late FG 36-34.

Kentucky +7 -110 2 units

Iowa @ Wisconsin

Iowa lost a rivalry game last week to the Cyclones. It was quite the ugly loss in fact. This team had high hopes entering the season due to an easy Big-10 schedule but cannot be happy with how the team is rounding into shape so far. Ioas St is horrible and its not like they did anything impressive to win here. Wisconsin meanwhile, didn't seem to interested on defense in the first half against the Citadel but played much better in the 2nd half.

How I see game playing out. Wisconsin offense should be very efficient. Iowa has a solid defense but not dominating. I think the Wisky defense will limit this offensively challenged at times Hawkeye squad. I didn't think I would get a TD spread here but will gladly play it. Wisky 27-10...

Wisky -7 -110 2 units

Penn St @ Michigan

I will go into this game in much more detail throughout the week. I figured line would be higher obviously. The x-factor is UM is going to play better defense against pocket passers. At the same point this is the first good to great defense UM has faced. Almost a decade of frustration is built up for PSU. I think it could be tight early but PSU pulls away in second half. More to come on this game...Penn St 24-13

Penn St -3 -110 5 units

(disclaimer...Mallett starts I still love this as a top play...Henne starts but isn't 100 percent still really like it...Henne starts and looks great in practice all week I will hedge off 50-60 percent of this play)

East Carolina @ West Virginia

I was hoping this line would pick up some steam and get back towards 27 but it doesn't look like that will be possible. Its pretty simple with West Virginia. They run the ball well(duh). Some teams in the country can control them slightly. I think ECU is that type of team. They certainly did last year and were able to move ball through air. Yes, ECU is a different animal at home rather than away but I think they will be competitive in this game. Its my simply philosophy with WVU. Take em when they play teams that are bad against run and fade em the other way. Its simple, yet effective. WVU 38-21...

East Carolina +24.5 -110 1 unit

Texas Tech @ Oklahoma State

This line got driven up right away after finally opening and has settled into a comfortable spot. I intially did not like this game but after talking with a few guys and diving into things quite a bit I certainly do like it a lot. Before the season I thought that Okie St would be a team like Missouri. Great offense and bad defense. Well, they have been maddeningly inconsistent and this is a team in turmoil now. Who the hell knows what is up with Bobby Reid, a very good QB. He isn't starting it looks liek Saturday. They also have injuries on the o-line and that will not help matters. Yes it is a conference home game and a tough venue but I think OSU is turning into a wrecked team and will be a good fade for the rest of the season..Texas Tech 49-28

Texas Tech -5.5 -110 4 units

Michigan State @ Notre Dame

Was waiting for the line to hit ten..that was my max number on this game..small bet...Will discuss more tomorrow morning

Michigan St -10 -109 1 unit

Last edited:
Good stuff BAR - On PSU and Wisky as well, though I jumped the gun with Wisky -8.5. GL this week.

Also, I was screaming at the TV when UK kicked the extra point. Woodson is the reason Rich Brooks has a job.

Some great thoughts here, B.A.R.

With Arkansas losing to Alabama, and Kentucky beating Lousiville, that line just seems odd to me. It would seem like the books would think everyone is going to love Kentucky, so they'd put the line lower to draw Arkansas money. However, the line is at 7, which makes me lean to Kentucky. Probably overanalyzing, but the line is just fishy to me. If I had a side, it would be Kentucky.

Also staying away from Penn St/Michigan because I think Penn St wins but don't trust Michigan. Laying off that one as well.

BOL bro. :shake:

slightest of leans on the Bruins myself (and I had them rated very low even before their loss at Utah), disagree on Kentucky, Arkansas was one of my favorite plays of the week early on, but I just hate laying points in general, so not sure...no opinion on wiscy or penn state game, I don't trust Morelli at all.

Two quick things

-McFadden is questionable. Apparent mild concussion last week. I figure he plays

-Henne has a chance to play this weekend, so do not be suprised.

Michigan St-Notre Dame Notes

No MSU or Notre Dame depth charts until at least Thursday

by Steve Grinczel Monday September 17, 2007, 3:47 PM

EAST LANSING -- Michigan State didn't release its depth chart as it customarily does on Monday because Notre Dame isn't sharing the same information in advance of Saturday's 3:30 p.m. game in South Bend.

The report MSU got from Notre Dame is that in the wake of its 0-3 start, FIghting Irish coach Charlie Weis has blown up the team and is starting over. The Irish have reportedly re-opened training camp and all 22 starting jobs are back up for grabs.
With no Notre Dame starting lineup available, Dantonio has decided to withhold his projected two-deep as well until Weis comes up with one, possibly on Thursday or Friday.
Consequently, there were no updates on the status of injured defensive backs Nehemiah Warrick, Ross Weaver and Kendell Davis-Clark, nor who will start in their positions. There also was no word on injured offensive guard Roland Martin.
"Really, we're not going to talk about injuries here," Dantonio said at his regular Monday press conference. "Actually, I'm not even going to talk about the depth chart today. But we're going to see all three of those defensive backs possibly play. We'll see how it shakes out, and Roland's situation we'll see as well."
Also,
... Spartan defensive end Jonal Saint-Dic is the Big Ten's co-defensive player of the week for his performance in last Saturday's 17-13 win against Pitt. Three of Saint-Dic's five tackles were behind the line of scrimmage, including two quarterback sacks. He also forced two fumbles.
... ABC and ESPN have exercised their rights for a six-day pick on MSU's Spet. 29 Big Ten opener at Wisconsin. If ESPN gets the game, kickoff will be at noon Eastern time. If ABC takes it, the game will start at 3:30 p.m. A decision will be announced no later than next Monday.
... A week after leading the Big Ten with the fewest penalties, MSU dropped to ninth.

Michigan St-ND Cont.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!-- OAS_AD('TxtLink4'); //--></SCRIPT>

[/FONT]

Unbeaten MSU still looking to improve

by Steve Grinczel Monday September 17, 2007, 12:25 AM

EAST LANSING -- Playing poorly is a perfectly good way to build momentum for a big game -- as long as your team wins.

That's the stance Michigan State took after beating Pittsburgh, 17-13.
The Spartans (3-0) found a way to prevail even though old bad habits, such as penalties and dropped passes, reemerged with a vengeance.
"A win is a win and no matter how we get it, we'll take it," defensive end Jonal Saint-Dic said. "We'll watch film, see our mistakes, see what we did wrong, see what we did right, and then we're going to bury that film and start watching Notre Dame."
The Spartans visit the Fighting Irish (0-3) Saturday afternoon at 3:30. And even though Notre Dame's struggles have reached biblical proportions, there's no bigger game on MSU's schedule.
Last season, MSU dominated the Irish for more than three quarters and led 37-21 in the fourth.
However, with wind and rain howling through Spartan Stadium, the Irish scored 16 unanswered points in the final 8:18 to pull out a 40-37 victory.
Michigan State never recovered from arguably the biggest collapse in school history and went on to lose eight of its last nine games.
Senior running back Jehuu Caulcrick is glad the Spartans got a lot of their bad tendencies out of the way against Pitt before going to Notre Dame, where they have won five straight and haven't lost since 1993.
"This does give us momentum because adversity was thrown at us, and we were in a situation where we could have easily lost," Caulcrick said. "But we stuck through it and played as a team.
"(Notre Dame) is a great football atmosphere and it's very personal to me and to a lot of guys on the team."
Of course, MSU is going to have to address the problems that put it in position to possibly lose to Pitt right up to the final seconds, and many thought were a thing of a past under new coach Mark Dantonio.
In one respect, the Spartans' 11 penalties for 125 yards were worse than in any game last season when their league-leading number of fouls were considered an indication of undisciplined play.
In 2006, MSU committed a season-high 12 penalties in the loss at Indiana, but for 110 yards. The Spartans had 11 penalties for 87 yards in a defeat suffered at Michigan.
The difference this time is the Spartans won.
"When you win games like this, you start to build a sense of confidence you can do it in close games," Dantonio said. "The bottom line is that we won a game that maybe, just maybe, was right there for (Pitt) as well."
Dropped passes, a bugaboo from seasons past as well, contributed to MSU's poorest passing performance of the season. Quarterback Brian Hoyer completed just 14-of-28 for 183 yards.
"I would attribute that to dropped balls and Hoyer not getting on track," Dantonio said. "We practice every week and he's been sharp and our receivers have caught the ball, so they had a little bit of a down day.
"But, you play through it."
Addressing miscues after a win isn't the same as having to regroup after an error-plagued loss.
"We know we made a lot of mistakes, and when (the officials) throw the flag a lot, what can you do?" said senior linebacker Kaleb Thornhill. "We just have to eliminate those mistakes internally, and we'll improve because of it."

any thoughts of a Kentucky let down?
Running game for arkansas may keep kentuckys defense on the field for a long time and just wear them out?

Saw your response to my Michigan comments from last week.
amazed at how quiet that stadium is for so many people in attendance and its not like the crowd is not into it. if they could ever fix those accoustics, it would be deafening.

any thoughts of a Kentucky let down?
Running game for arkansas may keep kentuckys defense on the field for a long time and just wear them out?

Saw your response to my Michigan comments from last week.
amazed at how quiet that stadium is for so many people in attendance and its not like the crowd is not into it. if they could ever fix those accoustics, it would be deafening.

Last point first. Its a shame. People watching games think that the crowd isn't into it. Now, they are not the most raucous. The 'old-crew' that has season tickets from generatiosn obviously are not going to be whooping it up the whole time. I don't know if the renovations will help this or not.

The Arjy-UK battle has the let-down factor going on both sides. Arky will be more prone to break 2-3 big runs rather than a complete weardown. On the other side Arky's defense is just pitiful. I'll take the best QB in the SEC with an improved defense(only 34 to UL is impressive) catching a TD to what amounts to a 6-6 or 7-5 team this year.

I like Wisky-7 & Penn St-3 @ Little House

I am staying away from Kentucky/Arkansas because I think the public perception of Kentucky is too high right now. By no means am I saying that Kentucky isn't a good team, I just think public opinion is too high on UK right now. I expected Arkansas to lose in Tuscaloosa, and I realize they are a one-dimensional offense, but this game is too tricky, IMO, so I will watch from the sideline (figuratively not literally).

GL B.A.R.

Why did Rich Brooks not go for 2 points up 39-34 late against 'Ville? Yes, you may have a missed extra point but you have to play the percentages. A very bone-headed move.
Yes, how ridiculous is this ?? how much money do they pay these coaches ?? I also couldn't figure out why Friedgen did not go for two in the fourth quarter against west virginia, opting instead to kick the extra point to make it a 17 point game instead of a possible 16 point game. ponderous. Anyone remember last year when Watson Brown down 7 points to oklahoma decided to punt the ball to the sooners on fourth down ? The sooners just had to take knees from that point to win. These coaches are clueless on time management and the use of two point conversions.
Incredible number on ucla BAR. excellent work , bro.

Looks like weiss thinks he looks more like a genius by not revealing starters than he would if he produced an offensive td.

Washington @ UCLA

Well, the Bruins sure stink-bombed one last week didn't they? I liked the game early in week but just felt weird about it. It makes no sense for Utah to win 44-6 but this is college football. Anything can happen on any given day. I still regard the Bruins pretty highly although not top-10 highly anymoe. Just a very good team that couldn't do anything right last week. The stats for the game were basically the same. Yes, it got closer in garbage time but not an overwhelming difference. Once it rained, it pourd on UCLA. Turnovers and penalties killed them. The six points is not reflective of the offense either.

Washington had a huge game at home against the Buckeyes. Despite some great play at times from Jake Locker he made the errors you would expect from a youngster against great defense. Washington showed some chinks in their defense as well in the second half. It has to be tough for the young Huskies to have been driving up 7-3 to start the 2nd half and then get blitzed by 24 consecutive points. They got humbled by the OSU team.

This is a classic over-reaction to a game early move on a line. It opened up 9 and when I played it last night was at 5. It stands at 5.5 currently. UCLA simply needs to avoid turnovers and run it down UW's throats. They ran well last week but had to play catch-up all second half. Before the games last week I think we would have seen a line in the 10 range. Well, it basically was at open but the push has put it under 7 which makes it a play for me. Motivated Bruin team against a Husky team perhaps in an emotional letdown. UCLA 31-17

UCLA -5 -110 2 units

I completely understand your reasoning, and hope that you're right bro! I'm not touching this game. I watched every minute of the UCLA/Utah game on Saturday, not to mention the Bruins game against BYU the week prior, and the offense just hasn't been clicking. Olsen has looked sub-par at best, and the running game hasn't found any consistency. The Bruins only averaged 4.0 ypc against the Utes, and have lacked that explosive play which they've thrived off of the past few seasons. IMO, Olsen is the reason for the offense's struggles thus far. Against Utah, Olsen was 20 of 40 for 290 and 3 INTs, and most of that yardage came in the 2nd Half when UCLA was forced to throw due to the deficit. Olsen is completing right around 50% of his passes on the year thus far. Not very good. IMO, UCLA is looking rather one dimensional.

And just as tOSU found some wrinkles in the Husky defense, the mighty Utah Utes found a just as many in the Bruins defense. Grady picked the UCLA secondary apart, throwing for 250 and 3 scores. Granted, many of those points came off of UCLA turnovers, but the Bruins just couldn't stop Utah. Washington will also spread out the defense, and I just don't know of UCLA will be able to dominate when their offense could very well struggle again. It's not like Washington's defense has played poorly to this point.

Washington/UCLA aside, you know I'm with you on Penn St and OU. GL this week bud!

:cheers:

Damc...Bruins regular backs were above 4.0...a bit..but with limited carries...I see them hitting ground hard against a below average run defense and that will open up rest and control the ball.

Great thread B.A.R...with you on Kentucky this week and really hope my Cats pull off another upset.

Thanks man. I do too. Like watching this team and think it would be a huge boost to program for next 5-10 years if this team can make a big bowl game run.:cheers:

Brooks knew damn well what he was doing when opting for the extra point
He was insuring a point spread cover and the expression on his face was priceless ( like a little kid stealing from the cookie jar ) Recall Kentucky President talking smack prior to last years opener with the Ville so wouldnt be all that surprised if it wasnt a Jack Kent Cook move by the higher ups

Nice thread as usual. I'm with ya on Penn St. PSU will have 8 in box and make Mishitgan beat them in the air...could happen but I'll take my chances with those QB's. I'm leaning towards UCLA but haven't pulled the trigger yet. The others are no plays for me so GL on them. BOL this week.

Bar looking at adding UCLA, but not sure on Penn State. As a UM guy, I know the play CLEARRRRLY says Penn ST, however, Morelli has not done well vs them. Is there a possibility as aweful as the Wolv D is that they can slow them down and we get an under here, cause I just cannot take a side?

This is my first time here...but u guys are giving KY too much credit just b/c they won the game last week vs. LOU.... KY gonna get KILLED....and so is PSU. MIC won the last 8 meetings ( rank or not...they beat the helll out of PSU). u might want to change those two games. :)

This is my first time here...but u guys are giving KY too much credit just b/c they won the game last week vs. LOU.... KY gonna get KILLED....and so is PSU. MIC won the last 8 meetings ( rank or not...they beat the helll out of PSU). u might want to change those two games. :)

Well, I'll speak for myself on these games..

I have given UK credit since day one. In fact before the season started. This is def not a brash jump after last weeks game.

I know all about Big Blues dominance against Pitiful State. I would like to know how PSU will get killed here? Yes, UM could win but I cannot see them dominating. They won 17-10 last year with a much better defense and an in-sync offense with a better o-line.

Welcome aboard

KY...have they play any team with good D this season? E. KENTUCKY...KENT ST...LOU...lol lol man...they gonna struggle to score so bad...ARK UNDER :) we shall wait and see :)...gl if u still go with KY :)

btw..I was so mad last week in PRO...hit 8 out of 10 on cards. damnnnnnnnnnnn it lol

KY...have they play any team with good D this season? E. KENTUCKY...KENT ST...LOU...lol lol man...they gonna struggle to score so bad...ARK UNDER :) we shall wait and see :)...gl if u still go with KY :)

btw..I was so mad last week in PRO...hit 8 out of 10 on cards. damnnnnnnnnnnn it lol

Kentucky def has not played a good defense yet. You are spot on there. But if you are insinuating that Arkansas has a good defense...thats another story. Their defense is very weak. Especially against the passing game. Ask Troy and Alabama...two teams that fared very well on offense..especially Alabama.

i havent been impressed with arky (do people call them that? if not, i am...) i like the points there

i cant take the waiting anymore by the way...330 saturday cant get here fast enough

Penn St @ Michigan

I will go into this game in much more detail throughout the week. I figured line would be higher obviously. The x-factor is UM is going to play better defense against pocket passers. At the same point this is the first good to great defense UM has faced. Almost a decade of frustration is built up for PSU. I think it could be tight early but PSU pulls away in second half. More to come on this game...Penn St 24-13

Penn St -3 -110 5 units

The reason the line is NOT higher is..b/c they got WHIPPPED the last 8 meetings lol...no way in hell they can go any higher. :) like I said earlier B.A.R...RANK or NOT..they beat the hell out of PSU...this week is no exception. :)

BET BIG WIN BIG ...LTD

Penn St @ Michigan

Penn St -3 -110 5 units

The reason the line is NOT higher is..b/c they got WHIPPPED the last 8 meetings lol...no way in hell they can go any higher. :) like I said earlier B.A.R...RANK or NOT..they beat the hell out of PSU...this week is no exception. :)

BET BIG WIN BIG ...LTD

What do the 1999 teams or 2001 teams have to do with these teams?

Penn St @ Michigan

Penn St -3 -110 5 units

BET BIG WIN BIG ...LTD

Oak Town Have you seen Michigan play this year? they are a total fucking mess. They beat ND, i honestly believe that Ohio could beat ND. PSU -3 is a steal IMO. Best of luck on your big bet.

Okay, I have updated the top post with the latest action.

There is one hedge and two additions. I also am waiting to see the numbers I am looking for on 3 games. Hopefully they show up.

added a play...a few more coming...

updates before I cash for night and write-ups tomorrow

bar, what say you about the tigers tomorrow? they look like a team on a mission... defense is pretty sick.

well..they are all but eliminated

I said today to someone that taking KC for all three games would be profitable...but they lost tonight..lol

tough to trust..

Indiana opened as 1.5 favorites...makes me feel weird for that game..do like IU still though on ML

Back