Sat 1-12 Divisonal Round

SportsNut

Breaking it down briefly
Last week I was guility of overthinking alot of plays but as Joe Pub said at least the few I put in won. Tenny 1st H +7 , Tenny +11 pushed and the 2nd Quarter Under.

4:30 Seattle @ GB :

I think like everyone I was suprised to see some of these 2nd Round lines. Then I start looking at the whole body of work . The picture didnt become that much clearer but some things seemed to make sense.

The opponents that these teams seem to have in common in a relatively close space of time is Chi and STL. I bring up the space of time because playing a team in week 2 isnt the same as playing against them in week14. Now SEA played these 11-18 and 11-25 while GB played them 12-16 and 12-23. The time proximity is close but honestly I would have liked it to have been closer.

The Hawks hosted Chicago as 6 pt favs and won by 7. Struggling early before pulling away late and holding off CHi's mini comeback. Then @ STL they were 3 pt favs and won by 4 amid sloppy play by STL. We all know about the fumbled exchange on 4th and 1 that lost the game. If you look closer Frerrote was terrible that day. His only TD drives were a 1 play handoff to Jackson that he took for 53 yds and short field drive starting at the 30 of SEA after a fumbled punt. So there were a few Frerotte miscues outside of the the last play. He took a sack late in the game with the lead on SEA 35. Indoors thats a makeable 52yd fg , when they settled for an easy FG Frerotte had them 1st goal at the 1 bit didnt get them in the end zone. Then on SEA 1st offensive TD it was setup by a Frerotte INT. I think when GB played both they were better teams.

Well GB played @ STL layed a hefty 7 or 7.5 pts and won 33-14. Now it was back and forth early and GB didnt play a perfect game by any means but they still won convincingly. Both Bulger and Jackson played. The following week they went into Chicago a team that plays them very well and had rediscovered there defense and lost SU in sort of a meaningless game for GB though they had revenge & possible 1st place seed. However while GB played terrible they were listed as 9 pt favs and I would think if they played that game again Chi would still be around TD dogs. Last road game of the year and its not suprising GB didnt play well after it had nothing much to gain. Chi had 240 yds on 59 plays which is basically 4 yds a play. Favre was quoted as saying that in 17 years it was the WORST playing conditions he has ever played IN. If you dont think it was a fluky then register this GB had NOT had a punt blocked in 12 years that day they had 2. The Bears TD drives went 55 and 28 yds plus they had Urlachers 86 yd pick 6 which took point from GB and gave them to Chi and a blocked punt for a TD. Sloppy game. GB did have a shot at the #1 seed but I think motivation was slim that day with the conditions and the team who fucked up less would win.

Now as I have mentioned SEA stunk on the road this year and didnt even play tough competition 3-5 SU . As I have said repeatedly they barely beat two backup QBs thanks to there late mistakes. Frerotte fumbles the exchange on 4th and 1 and Feely after Westbrook starts them on SEA 14 forces a pass that gets picked. Other then that they beat SF!! Imagine if they were 1-7 away , they probably wouldnt be here. They lost late @ ATL , @ Car , @ Cle , @ Pitt , @ Ari. At Carolina it was certainly a game where you could understand being flat but CAR is terrible! The game was scoreless to start the 4th and SEA scored its first points with 8 to play and a BS TD with 1 second. The following week Dallas cruised in Car jumping out to a 14-0 lead before TO get hurt and doing enough to win 20-13. They jumped ahead of Cle but allowed the browns to comeback to tie it and win in OT. For all the talk about SEA defense CLE had 6 possession that were Goal to go and converted 4. The game @ Pitt I know people will say its before they chaned philosophies but I dont see the air attack leading to better results from the SEA team. They were playing weak teams with injuries who they should have beaten by basiclly showing up. Anyway Pitt played minus two key starters Ward and Palomalu. Still 6 pts favs they shut the Hawks out 21-0. They fell behind ARI 17-0 and rallied to take the lead but eventually lose. Not a bad loss by any means cause ARI was healthy but falling behind 17-0 early??

Last year when SEA traveled to Chi they were 9.5 pt dogs. While Kearney has helped the defense it still has not improved that much versus quality opponents IMO. The offense has lost Darrell Jackson and we dont know about Branch yet. Though Hackett has emerged. Alexander seems to have regressed on the ground so in general I think SEA offense has regressed especially if Branch is out. Now GB to me has a better defense then what CHI ended the season with last year and clearly a much better offense. Yet we have a cheaper line.

The only real injuries seem to be Jason Spitz @ RG and Branch at WR. Still I wonder about Hasselback's thumb especially in cold weather. One bad hit and that mother f'er will hurt.We saw him shaking a few times vs Wash and the weather was mild. Not to mention he had his thigh pad shattered for a nice bruise.

Do we see a recreation of the blowout in Xhibition season? GB won 48-13 backups vs backups.

Only 6 teams scored more then 17 vs GB this year and only SD and Chi in GB. SEA only held STL to 19 , Car 13 and SF 3 otherwise the rest had 21 or better...and STL should have scored 20++ pus easily so all they did was shutdown terrible SF and Carolina' offenses.

Ryan Grant emerged late and really that is when this team took it to the next level. Hawks allow 4 YPC on the ground away and we have seen Grant bust some real big runs late. GB will be tough to run at home 3.4 YPC. GB has scored 30 + 5 times at home with all three non occassions being early 20 vs Chi , 17 vs Wash and 16 vs Philly.

Its supposed to COLD on SAT high of 26 and low of 11 so with a late afternoon tip you would think bewlow 20 degrees. I think one of SEA great secret weapons is Nate Burleson in the return game. He is dangerous and must be kept in check. SEA did nothing on offense to inspire me and this is a tougher challenge. There TD drives started in Redskin territory.

It is really hard to fade a SEA team that has so much talent but I just dont like the whole product. Dont expect a blowout but GB by say 10-14 (28-17).

Lots of time to figure out what is going on and I will take my time in deciding.

Note: In reference to common opponents . If I had to line SEA @ CHI I would have guess Bears -1.5 . Remember this team was dogged @ Philly w/o McNabb. So If made GB 6 or -6.5 @ Chi today you would be looking at about 8.5 if GB hosted SEA. Then we had -3 and -7.5 vs STL which would make me guess about -8 / -8.5 if GB hosted SEA based on that....everything seems in line....

Strong Lean : GB -8:cheers:

Great write-up, SN.

I kind of hate this game and here's why.

I want to really like Green Bay. And at -3, I do. But that's only the line in this fantasy world I live in sometimes where real money doesn't factor into the equation.

But I want to like them because of the things SN said above, but also because beyond their common opponents on the road (and I throw out that Chicago game, too, coming right on the heels of losing HFA for the playoffs), Seattle really hasn't played well on the road at all this year.

Not only that, the only way they succeed, as they've shown, is to throw the football.

Well, that's fabulous, only it's not all that easy to throw the ball around in Green Bay in the middle of January.

Oh, and his hand isn't 100%.

Oh, and I don't see any way they run on GB.

So I really, really want to like GB.

Why I worry is because, one, Hasselbeck has gone into GB, in the playoffs, and put up points. Whenever you need a double digit win to cover, this worries me.

Then, there's Holmgren vs. Farve. I'm generally convinced that the guy who turned you into the QB you are can effectively scheme to at the very least slow you down.

So, in short, while I really, really want to like GB--and I do think they win this game--that spread worries me, maybe far more than it should.

Thanks JP. I thought long and hard about this line. I know watching the Sea/Skins game I was praying that it somehow influenced them into making GB only -4.5 . Yes, there are questions about GB's SOS but what I liked was as the season progressed GB lines got fatter and they continud to cover. Where SEA you never saw an adjustment. All along I had expected about -7 though . Especially when they are throwing out 7s and 9s for GB on the road late and making SEA +3 @ Philly w/o McNabb. Now I think they set it above 7 to lure SEA money but I also se how it makes logical sense . I am with you in its alot of points and it takes alot to go right to cover it. I think the telling part was only setting the total at 41 . Cause effecitively they ar saying we dont expect SEA to exceed more then 16.5 pts . If SEA isnt scoring it greatly decreases the chance of a cover cause its hard for me to believe GB doesnt get at least 24. Factor in the dog run last year I think they have a fair idea where the flow will go this year but as we agreed this is not last year. Basically why I am waiting is hoping I can somehow get this at -7 -120. If I am correct then SEA doesnt crack 14 here which is saying alot but the offense didnt play all that well on the road. Also GB was not a public team this year and most doubted them forever so we cant fall back on that either...

Thanks Aplous and JML.:cheers:

Exactly. Two things.

One: what I liked was as the season progressed GB lines got fatter and they continud to cover.

It's been my favorite thing about GB all year, even when it's bit me.

Two: If I am correct then SEA doesnt crack 14 here which is saying alot but the offense didnt play all that well on the road.

I can absolutely see that. Here's what worries me. Say Seattle ends up at 13 or 14, that means GB has to get to 23/24 realistically to cover this number. In the cold, especially if they are able to control the game and the clock, that's where my worry lies.

I could easily see this being a 20-7, 20-10 game. But to your point, if this thing finishes 20-13, I want to be on that seven, not on 7.5 or 8.

26 degrees, 30% chance of flurries, not much wind.

That really aint that cold for GB...............

26 degrees, 30% chance of flurries, not much wind.

That really aint that cold for GB...............

True and the forecast seems to have gotten slightily better. I think a big issue is if the sun is shining and if it is it wont be for long as it gets dark early. 30 degrees feels alot better when the suns out IMO...

Great writeup SN, I also think green bay takes this but that is a big spread. All that is popping into my head is what Chicago was able to do to GB in Lambeau a few weeks ago. Farve looked terrible in the cold.

Great writeup SN, I also think green bay takes this but that is a big spread. All that is popping into my head is what Chicago was able to do to GB in Lambeau a few weeks ago. Farve looked terrible in the cold.

That game was in Chicago. And the bad game was more attributed to the wind conditions than the coldness. I was at that game and it was cold but the wind was insane.

I gotta respect anyone that sat through what Brett Favre called the worst conditions in his career and I assumed he meant wind but still that had to be one rough afternoon..

When I have time tmrw will writeup the Jags - Pats game but I will have to keep who I like a secret till then....

Weather for GB @ Chi was crosswind blowing directly into GB sideline...Bears churn out a early 10 minute drive in brutal conditions that prolly had more effect on GB side.

Weather always a hot topic for this time of year but vastly overated imo unless youre dealing with extreme conditions....ie; 25 mph + wind, heavy rain, bitter cold, blizzard, sleet, etc. Field condition just as important and all looks ok so far for Sat.

Holmgren factor...Seattle D rarely gives up the big play and will force Farve to be patient...Status of nickel back/ pr Blackmon for GB ( not sure if Woodson would return punts anyway...hes another story with toe) something to monitor...GB not deep in secondary and likely to have problems matching up with Hawks four wides...Hawks more than capable of putting up 17+ here even w/o much of a running game...TE Pollard should have opportunities with GB weak on covering tight ends.

I think Favre would be happy to throw underneath all day long for 1st downs. That is what he did at KC, then hit em w/ the bomb late in the game to win it.

Aplous: I think Favre really just reacts to how his OL is protecting. If he is rushed he rushes and when he has time he takes what the defense gives him. So I agree as long as the protection is solid I have no worries with Favre.

Brewer : Nah . Look who has the experience on the GB side and that should calm you down. GB has some vets on defenses and the guy who would concern me most is Mason Crosby.

Imgn: Clearly agree ...I hope I didnt seem to make weather a factor just if it happened to be brutal it was clearly a plus for GBsince they just played in those conditions @ CHi.

SEA defense has to show me something on the road. Most teams they played arent capable of big plays. Really think the 4 Wr set angle is being overplayed but its certainly something to watch. Hawks are more then vapable of throwing 17 + points up thats why I thought 41 is extremely low for this game and seemed to indicate a one sided affair. Though SEA defense getting so much press lately (undeservingly IMO). BOL

Thanks EDizz...BOL this weekend. Favre saying it was the worst conditions of his 17 yr career kinda gives him a pass IMO..

Throw out my NE/Jax thoughts tmrw:cheers:

Aplous: I think Favre really just reacts to how his OL is protecting. If he is rushed he rushes and when he has time he takes what the defense gives him. So I agree as long as the protection is solid I have no worries with Favre.

Brewer : Nah . Look who has the experience on the GB side and that should calm you down. GB has some vets on defenses and the guy who would concern me most is Mason Crosby.

Imgn: Clearly agree ...I hope I didnt seem to make weather a factor just if it happened to be brutal it was clearly a plus for GBsince they just played in those conditions @ CHi.

SEA defense has to show me something on the road. Most teams they played arent capable of big plays. Really think the 4 Wr set angle is being overplayed but its certainly something to watch. Hawks are more then vapable of throwing 17 + points up thats why I thought 41 is extremely low for this game and seemed to indicate a one sided affair. Though SEA defense getting so much press lately (undeservingly IMO). BOL

Thanks EDizz...BOL this weekend. Favre saying it was the worst conditions of his 17 yr career kinda gives him a pass IMO..

Throw out my NE/Jax thoughts tmrw:cheers:

While I respect your opinion, and always absorb your insight, I can't help but disagree with you 100% here. Seattle pretty much gets pressure on every single QB they face. There's nothing undeserving about getting praise when you're constantly racking up sacks. One thing I do remember...back when the Hawks went on their Superbowl run, everybody kept saying "They haven't played anybody", all the way to the big show. Granted, Seattle had homefield throughout, but...I look at the way the TEAM has been playing toward the end of the season and into the playoffs. Simply put, I like what I see more from Seattle than I do Green Bay, who struggled mightily against Chicago, etc.

Atzec : Everyone is allowed to have there opinions. I have my own way of looking at stats and interperting them.

I really cant take much of what SEA has done and give them any credit. By downplaying there defense and its numbers I do NOT mean they are actually a bad defense. The problem is giving more credit then is due. I am not by any means denying that SEA is better then average defensively. However the stats you accumulate in any sport are largely respresntative of who you oppose . Your oppositions talent level to me dictates your level of play rather then vice versa.

The schedule SEA played was so terrible the only thing I can equate it to is the University of Hawaii's in CFB. It was beyond ridiculously easy.

If there defense was so good why was there road play pretty terrible?

Think about who they played and how sacks those teams allowed. Just to end the season Redman and ATL . The Falcons struggled in pass protection every game and suffered numerous OL injuries. The Ravens had 3rd string QB Troy Smith starting and lost McGahee in that game. Hard to imagine them respecting the run. Nothing like facing Kurt Warner if your looking for sacks. Backup QBs in Philly and Stl. The Bears and so on. All these teams had major OL issues all season.

So while they have talent all they did was beat up teams who had glaring weaknesses.

I really cant say I recall much about SEA Super Bowl run other then by the time game happened the so called public favs Pittsburgh where anything but that.

Not sure how you can say that about GB but hey its an opinion. Again check the boxscore they really didnt struggle that much. The Bears had little offense that day but it was timely. Favre said it was terrible playing conditions and really thats all there is to it. Last few games of the year the Bears defense was extremely solid and much better then the version SEA faced. Which by the way SEA didnt have an easy game for Chi either.
GB pretty much beat up any team they faced.

Green Bay's schedule was pretty much just as soft as Seattle's. I mean holy shit, look at their last four games...

vs Oakland
@ St. Louis
@ Chicago
vs Detroit

Also, if you're going to smash on Seattle's schedule so much...Green Bay only played 4 games against teams with a winning record all season long. Seattle played 3 games against a team with a winning record all season long. So, I think the soft schedules are a complete wash. Simply put...Green Bay really hasn't faced a team that can get pressure on the QB like the Seahawks can. Seattle demolished St Louis (just like Green Bay)...so? Green Bay beat Washington (only not as bad as Seattle)...and yes, I am aware Seattle scored two defensive TD's. And, if you actually look at the scores, Green Bay didn't blow out everybody they played this regular season.

Green Bay has...

5 wins by 15+

Seattle has...

6 wins by 15+

I don't think betting against Seattle (on the road) is a bad idea at all...usually, it's a pretty good one. But not when you're laying 8 frickin points against them (especially when Hasselbeck led a comeback and took the game to OT last time at Lambeau, in the playoffs). Now, if the line is under a TD? Big difference...

:cheers:

Gl Sportsnut, great analysis, concur, Seattle nearly lost last week and 2 pick 6s overemphasize that small margin of victory, Seattle much weaker this year, lack of running game and GB stronger, go Pack go

Good stuff Atzec. By no means do I see GB having a walk in the park here more along the lines of the GB game in Dallas where they just came up a bit short and didnt cover. Seattle has ALOT of talent but as far as overall team play just not impressed.

I agree GB schedule was not very good but it was MUCH better then Seattles. How many games could SEA be challenged in at home TB, Cincy and NO?

The Raiders are not a formidable road foe and where coming off I believe consecutive divisional wins which is like snow falling on Baghdad for back to back days. However I would still think Oak was tougher then say the Ravens and Troy Smith plus half the defense was out. Would u agree?

They both played at STL and the games went very different. The Rams played a decent 1st half vs GB but didnt score in the 2nd H. Bulger and SJack played the entire game. Look at when SEA traveled there. They didnt have an offensive TD in the 1st H and there 1st offensive TD came on a short field after Frerotte was picked. They trailed at halftime and Bulger played a few snaps before leaving. The game in Chicago was an extreme weather condition game and I cant take much from it. Bears always play well vs the Packers and there defense had been born again. Look at how Chi limped into SEA and played fairly well. So again Sea got the easier situation. Not to mention SEA was -6 at home compared to GB -9 @ Chitown.

They get DET week 17 games means nothing and they basically blow them out while resting starters. I kinda harp on the SEA-Balt game but Sea didnt exactly walk over that Ravens team that had just lost @ Miami.

I really dont get largely in winning records when speaking schedule more try to look at how a team is playing. I think SEA at home played teams whose road record combined was 19-45 or somewhere in that realm. Honestly I understand what you are saying but there schedules are no where near a wash despite GB having alot of easy games. They still beat SD at home and they still went to NYG and won. STL big road win was @ Philly with Feeley. Going back to schedule lets not forget how bad the SF OL looked at times. Getting TB in the 1st game with Garcia. The GB-Skins game was a healthier WASH team and they probably shoud have won that day.

The thing with GB is they became an upper tier team when Ryan Grant emerged. Most of there early season wins were tight cause they were so one dimensonal IMO.

Isnt that the whole point of lining the game above 7 pts? To get the people who are leaning GB to flip towards to Seattle for perceived value?

SEA is clearly dangerous as an 8pt dog there is no doubt about them and dont deny it. I just think if they continue to play the way the have they wont fare very well in GB. No one addresses Hasselback's health and Branch status or effectiveness either. If SEA play there A game they will make me look silly but if they bring there B effort I dont think its enough and thats all I have seen from them.

If I get a chance I will talk more about the schedules. When GB played DET the Lions were 6-4 and that alone makes them better then any of SEA away wins. I think GB sort of was born with the OT win @ Denver.
Thats the team I look at today and they havent won a game by less then 11 since.....

If you are on SEA its understandable the Hawks have alot of things for them. My belief is the illusion will eventually be revealed.

Pirate88- There really are alot of disturbing things about SEA play last week. Really everything was in there favor and they didnt come out smelling like roses IMo....

They only scored on short fields , Wash had OL and secondary issues which technically played into both of SEA strengths : 4 WR sets and pass rush. Branchs absence did limit that edge. Hasselback had 2 picks and should have had 2 more at least. They needed Suisham to miss a FG to regain momentum but I felt Wash not going for the jugular there after the recovered kickoff was a mistake. ALso poor throw by Collins "saved" a TD on 1st down. Like any sport you allow a team to hang around like SEA did and eventually they will make a play and a run. :cheers:

Seattle demolished St Louis

This is comical.......I assume we're talking about the common game, which would be the game AT St Louis. GB went there and murdered as 9 point favorites.

Seattle went there as 3 pt chalk and pulled off the LUCKIEST win in the NFL this year. Winning by 3 w/ the other team on your goalline w/ 1 minute left, 1st and goal.........thanks to a Frerotte choke job Seattle won.

Throw out the overall package here for both teams. Focus just on Seattle on the road and GB at home.....that's all that matters tomorrow. SEA is garbage on the road....bottom line.

Find a third ML parlay

NE isn't bad, but I see where you're going.

The NBA and I, though, I'm not sure you want to know about that relationship.

Try to stick to the games bewteen 6 and 9 pts for these ML parlays.

Note:
DJ Hackett reagrravated his ankle injury( depends who u believe) and only stretched in practice on Thursday. Holmgren said he is now a gametime decision. Branch returned to practice and appears likely he will play . Kearney recieved extra rest this week.

Pressuring the QB

Here are some numbers regarding SEA sacks on the road and the opponents they faced ( the numbers are the sacks):

@ Zona 0 {Leinart 4 , Warner 20}
@ SF 6 {Dilfer 27 , A. Smith 17 , Hill 6 , Weinke 5}
@ Pitt 3 { Big Ben 47 , Batch 0}
@ Cle 0 {DA 14}
@ STL 4 {Bulger 37 , Frerotte 11}
@ Phi 1 {McNabb 44 , Feely 3}
@ Car 0 {Moore 6 , Testaverde 9 , Delhomme 5}
@ Atl 2 {Redman 9 , Harrington 32 , Leftwich 6}

16 sacks on the road for SEA of the 45 for the season. Then 13 of 16 in 3 games which means 3 sacks in the other 5 games.

Favre sacked 15 times of the 19 GB allowed. Hasselback sackeed 33 times of there 36 allowed.

SEA 45 to GB 36 sacks.

They actually faced 5 teams who allowed at least 40 sacks......is that not telling? Especially when you see the numbers vs the team who were pretty good in protection.

All this Data means to me is to sort to paint a picture of what I have been trying to say. That SEA feasts on weaker teams...

4:30 PM game

Well, I have sliced it & diced it every way I know how. Some may agree and some may disagree. This game is far from easy to decipher. The line is down to attractive -7.5 which I will take to -7 -120 or if I am really lucky -6.5 -120. I am interested in a 3 team ML parlay with GB , Indy and a basketball game of choice . Also note as I said earlier in this post the oddsmakers IMO do not expect a high scoring game. I say this because they opened this total at 41 which would have put the SEA team total in the 17 range. I do NOT expect SEA to break 17 points here and think we GB 24 to 28 and SEA 10-14 . Th elow opening number invited over money and I simply dont expect them to make such an error. There are chances of snow . Branch should play , Hackett and Blackmon are GT decisions. Personally the Holmgren angle does nothing for me and thats why I didnt talk about. GB should protect Favre and allow him time to disect the SEA defense.

Also note the Under and GB seems like a nice 2 team teaser.....:cheers:

Looking at SEA offense on the road :

20 @ Ari
23 @ SF ( 44yd TD drive and 17 yd FG drive)
0 @ Pitt ( only 1 drive that lasted for more then 20 yds and time ran out)
30 @ Cle ( punt return TD)
24 @ STL ( kick return TD)
28 @ Philly ( 13 and 7 yd TD drives off INT & two 45 yd TD plays in bad weather)
10 @ Car ( Only TD as time expired , no points after 3 quarters)
41 @ Atl.

What this tells me is SEA struggles to sustain drives and relied on turnovers for good field position and there special teams....

Note : I do NOT feel that Matt Hasselback is 100% and a bad thumb in cold weather could be a problem. No matter what side you had last week how many wide open WR's did he miss? How many times did he throw it to the wrong team ..?? Think 4 or 5 but Wash just flat dropped 3 picks. Now if he was further shaken up in that game and teh conditions will be worse then last week , the opposing defense improves , exactly how does his play improve? Not to mention one of his best WR may not play in Hackett and the other is returning from injury with little practice.:cheers:

Last edited:
Well, I have sliced it & diced it every way I know how. Some may agree and some may disagree. This game is far from easy to decipher. The line is down to attractive -7.5 which I will take to -7 -120 or if I am really lucky -6.5 -120. I am interested in a 3 team ML parlay with GB , Indy and a basketball game of choice . Also note as I said earlier in this post the oddsmakers IMO do not expect a high scoring game. I say this because they opened this total at 41 which would have put the SEA team total in the 17 range. I do NOT expect SEA to break 17 points here and think we GB 24 to 28 and SEA 10-14 . Th elow opening number invited over money and I simply dont expect them to make such an error. There are chances of snow . Branch should play , Hackett and Blackmon are GT decisions. Personally the Holmgren angle does nothing for me and thats why I didnt talk about. GB should protect Favre and allow him time to disect the SEA defense.

Also note the Under and GB seems like a nice 2 team teaser.....:cheers:

Looking at SEA offense on the road :

20 @ Ari
23 @ SF ( 44yd TD drive and 17 yd FG drive)
0 @ Pitt ( only 1 drive that lasted for more then 20 yds and time ran out)
30 @ Cle ( punt return TD)
24 @ STL ( kick return TD)
28 @ Philly ( 13 and 7 yd TD drives off INT & two 45 yd TD plays in bad weather)
10 @ Car ( Only TD as time expired , no points after 3 quarters)
41 @ Atl.

What this tells me is SEA struggles to sustain drives and relied on turnovers for good field position and there special teams....

Note : I do NOT feel that Matt Hasselback is 100% and a bad thumb in cold weather could be a problem. No matter what side you had last week how many wide open WR's did he miss? How many times did he throw it to the wrong team ..?? Think 4 or 5 but Wash just flat dropped 3 picks. Now if he was further shaken up in that game and teh conditions will be worse then last week , the opposing defense improves , exactly how does his play improve? Not to mention one of his best WR may not play in Hackett and the other is returning from injury with little practice.:cheers:

Nut,
Saw the 8 early and decided it was too many for the young pack team.
However, with the opportunity to cut the spread to 7 points I agree with your analysis. Going to be a great game to watch on sat...

BOL SIR.
Money=All

Jags @ NE

8:30 Jacksonville @ New England

Why ohWhy? Would you wake the angry sleeping giant? What it is this organization thinking putting an asterisk next to NE record on there website? Why is Spicer beating a dead subject? I just dont understand.....

This will be Jax third straight road game and follows a tough game in Pitt where they held off the surging Steelers. NE was obviously preparing for this game while resting after the Giants finale.

You always wonder what a team has left in the tank after such a tough game. The glaring observation here is how poorly Jags are defending the pass and well facing Brady and his stable of WRs. Just look what Big Ben did in the 2nd Half.

Already w/o Petersen and Stroud they appear to have a less then 100% John Henderson playing here.

The Jags did an impressive thing beating the Steelers twice at home something that had not occured before. I think what stands out for most is the fact they still fail versus Indy and were only 2-4 in there division because of it. The 1st meeting in Jax may be tarnished with the Garrard injury but we didnt see that much from Jax when he was in there. They moved the ball some but no points and some questionable game callling if I recall. The 2nd meeting with a healthy Garrard and banged up Indy team we saw the Colts jump out then cruise effectively being backdoored. NE did lose Roosevelt Colvin around week 12.

Really the key here is can Jax keep NE off the field ? I really dont think so if you look at last week or any of the passy happy offenses they played. Remember they allowed 435 passing yards @ NO and probably with a better defense. Manning 288 yds and 4 TDS in the sequel. Early on Cutler posted 222 yds and 133 went to Brandon Marshall. The 1st meeting in Pitt was real crap weather so tough to weigh IMO. Last week 337 passing yards with no threat of a running game & comeback mode.

So really a beaten down Jax defense should struggle here.

Then you think well they need to run the ball. True. Not such an easy task as only Willie Parker had a day worth mentioning vs them. They did fairly well vs Brandon Jacobs. Now while Garrard has solid passing numbers they dont have much of a pass attack or go to WR as we know ( no one had more then 2 catches last week). NE will definetly let these WRs try and beat them. That means this defense can key on making Garrard beat them . With 2 weeks you would think the genius has some shit in store for the Jax ground game. Remember they only combined for 77yds on 24c @ Pitt. Seem to be a bad mix of NE hittingbig pass plays at home and Jax allowing to many of those on the road. Statistically they did NOT deserve to win that game last week.

Really there just is not much to this matchup. The Jaguars defense is extremely overrated. It can definetly stop the RUN but NE doesnt care about that anyway . You can seemingly throw on them at will and the 4 WR sets should drive them crazy. The Pats should be comfortable getting 31 to 38 points here . The only teams with success vs NE were teams who got to the QB . Last year while the game was close the Pats offense was nothing compared to this and they LOST TOP 37 minutes to 23 when they were home. They scored on drives of 1 , 3 and 5 plays something I wouldnt expect again.

Thought -11.5 was correct and really the move only takes away -13. Think some of it was done to protect against teasers but thats a guess.

really think we see a 3 TD win by NE but not sure if or how I wager it. You have to be able to score to beat NE and dont see the Jaguars offense doing much here. Sit back and ask yourself in 2 years since the last playoff meeting what has really changed? NE offense has really progressed and the defense has aged some. In Jax the QB play is better but the same lack of WRs is evident. F.Taylor is playing some of his best ball but they still lack balance on offense. Not only that there defense is w/o many key players from that 06 defense....

Not sure about the total 48 seems about correct so maybe slight lean to the UNDER. I think NE plays 60 minutes of football after the Indy collapse last year as well.

Leans :
NE -13
Under Jags TT at 17.5 or better
Over NE TT

Dont see what advantages JAX has here to make this competitive. If they look up and see 21-0 what can they do?

Feel Free 2 comment....:cheers:

running game and pass rush are the keys i think..esp w/ 2 scores..

counter these for me...when talking two scores..

devil's advocate of course..

running game and pass rush are the keys i think..esp w/ 2 scores..

counter these for me...when talking two scores..

devil's advocate of course..

Jax best pass rusher is Spicer and opening his mouth definetly makes me feel like NE will single him out further. Still he had only 7.5 sacks and the next guys were at 3.5. Even Spicer started fast wuth 5 sacks but I would guess after the mounting defensive injuries his numbers slipped in the 2nd H. Thinking they need to blitz to get the QB which only makes there pass coverage worse and we have all seen how well NE can protect Brady.

Jax neeeds to control TOP but as I said they already lost that battle badly at home 37 to 23 minutes last year. Granted Taylor DNP but neither did any of the NE WRs..

Further if you look at NE home boxscores you will see a few big plays to R.Moss and Jax has allowed some big plays on the road. Just a toxic mixture IMO....

Even at say 27 points I think Jax has a tough time scoring without the aid of a kick return or turnover. last meeting NE ran 70 plays to Jax 46......

well...i can't count on the fact spicer opened his mouth tween week 2 to bet this money...not feasible...

i get henderson being iffy...but spicer talkin?...ugh....we've seen them (NE) struggle to protect vs BAL and PHI....so I can't buy that the OL is nuts...can't do it...

I'm seein too much big pass plays being contributed to last week..

Jax isn't soft in sec overall i don't think

I'm playing jax..already have actually...

but I know u like line value...no value on jax here?

NE to me comes off as vindicative thats why I mentioned the whole Spicer thing. They definetly didnt let Aaron Smith slide . Which while he may have started yapping in week 2 he talked about it again this week.

Sometimes Brady has all day to throw really any decent QB can post solid numbers with his protection. Last I checked Philly and Balt were still two pretty good veteran defenses. Dont ya think? Think that was the last game Balt defense played healthy actually. Philly is known for there ability to blitz and has some solid players in the secondary with Shepard and Dawkins. NYG was very good at sacking the QB this year as well .

The thing with both of those games is those teams had struggled and NE probably wasnt extremely focused or amped to play them . Motivated to keep the streak alive but what did they have to prove in those games? They only way they look good was to cover those monster lines and 20 pts versus decent defenses is a task. Both had HUGE lines. You have a veteran defense that has won a super bowl and there catching 20 pts at home? With Philly MCNabb is out and no one expects anything from them. Good position to be in. NE will be on its A game like when Pitt traveled to Foxboro.

I actually see JAX secondary as pretty bad this season but thats my opinion...

Any playoff team cacthing 2 TDS has to have some value. I just think Jags did a great job of adjusting after the injuries on defense coupled with an easy schedule to make them appear alot better then they were. Really who did they beat ? They beat Pitt twice but I still maintain the Steelers were banged up last few weeks. Also because of how NE ended maybe we forget what they are capable of to a degree?I wasnt much for the Pats bandwagon this year and really did well fading them late. However I think unless Jags runs the ball consistently they wont be able to score.

Just dont see how jax improves on the past 2 meetings and this NE offense is much improved.

Does the line seem high? I have to say I didnt think it would up to 13 but I wont be suprised to see it move back down.

I cant blame anyone for liking Jax I think they are very overrated and in a bad spot.

Great info SportsNut and BOL to you. I agree with GB 100%, only time will tell if we hit the right side. I have to admit from first glance I liked the Jags catching the points...13+ is certainly a lot for a playoff game. However, after I read your post...you bring up some excellent points. I've actually backed off the Jags as for now; not sure I can pull the trigger on the Pats either though.

I'd love to here your take on Sunday's games as well.

Fact........I had to watch Sammy Knight roam the secondary for my Chiefs for 3 years. He is by far the worst pass covering SS in the NFL. He will get burnt bad today I can guarantee it.

Also, Jax 8-0 OVER as a road puppy. NE might hit 40 today.

Thanks Hammer . You always have to play what you feel is correct. Really cant say I would ever feel comfortable laying nearly 2 TDs in a playoff game but this definetly seems to be a " style" mismatch.

Once the CBB days starts winding down I will start throwing some stuff out there. BOL today...

Thanks Precise , BOL:cheers:

boy,it sure is nice to see you around and reading your thoughts.

hope everything is fine with you and yours.

Thanks and same to you bro.

Always enjoy the discussions...they are just as helpful to me .....BOL:cheers:

Aplous : Thinking I may have to bite on that NE team total. Not to mention Reggie Nelson is a rookie as well....:cheers:

Early game

Waiting still but assume:

GB -7 -120

GB +2..5 / Under 54.5 / Indy PK teased

Under SEA 17.5 Even TT

GB -4.5 1st Half :cheers:

Migh add more to GB if can ever get -6.5 -120:cheers:

Last edited:
Its almost time for the first kickoff! Enjoy all..

My belief on why some books are still showing +9 is the are INVITING SEA money....seen it before on occassion in the NFL where some books appear to take positions...just guessing though ...from years of screen hawking...

Thats unbelievably ridiculous ! SEA just might be the luckiest team ever. I said they need help to score and they sure got it. That was so funny I have to laugh.....okay gonna be quiet till half ...BOL

Back