Saratoga Race Course Week #2 Discussion.....

I'm stuck a few hundred, hopefully I can turn it around in week #2. My capping was pretty good through first four days but horrible racing luck.

News and notes from Nyra.com

SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. - One of the most successful trainers in Venezuelan history, Gustavo Delgado is getting his introduction to Saratoga Race Course this summer.

Stabled off the grounds in a private barn at the corner of Gridley and Jefferson streets, a half-mile from the Nelson Avenue gate, Delgado made himself known to the summer crowd with Face of Winner, a 3-year-old colt who won Sunday's eighth race at odds of 22-1.

Favored in each of his previous four starts, all in south Florida, Face of Winner stalked the pace before taking over at the top of the stretch and drawing away to a 1 ½-length victory in 1:49.79 for 1 1/8 miles on the main track, returning $47.40. The time was just .05 seconds slower than I'm a Chatterbox, who hit the wire first in the Grade 1 Coaching Club American Oaks.

"That's a good horse. I like the long distance. The longer distance is better for him," Delgado said. "His previous races at one mile he was very good, and yesterday he was very, very good. It's possible we may look for a stakes race next month."

Face of Winner was the fourth starter of the meet for Delgado, 55, a member of Venezuela's Hall of Fame who has won his native country's Triple Crown four times and is a five-time winner of its most famous race, the Clasico Simon Bolivar. He has also captured the Clasico Internacional del Caribe, a Group 1 race for 3-year-olds in Latin America, three times.

Named Venezuela's trainer of the decade from 2000-2010, Delgado came to the United States in March 2014, immediately won Gulfstream Park's inaugural summer meeting, and has continued to rank among the leading trainers both there and Gulfstream Park West. His victory withGrand Bili in the Grade 3 Carry Back on July 5 was his first graded stakes triumph in North America.

"I was in Venezuela a long time. I won maybe 2,000 races there and many stakes," Delgado said. "I've never been to Saratoga before. Saratoga is very nice. This year, my owner said, 'Go to Saratoga. It's possible.' The meeting is very tough, but I said OK. The experience is very good for any trainer, but for me it's even more."

Delgado has 14 horses at Saratoga, eight juveniles and six older horses led by Grand Bili, who is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday. Both he and Juan and Bina, each nominated to Saturday's Grade 2 Amsterdam, are being pointed to seven-furlong allowances next week and possibly the Grade 1, $500,000 King's Bishop August 29.

In addition, Delgado said 5-year-old Grade 3 winner Grand Tito is expected to run in the $100,000 Lure for 4-year-olds and up on the turf August 8. Beyond Saratoga, Delgado plans to have a similar string for Belmont Park's fall meet before returning to Gulfstream Park for the winter.

"It is a good barn for me," Delgado said. "The attention to the horses here is very good, and the weather is good. It is very hot in Florida now. My horses are very happy. They eat everything up. It's perfect. Saratoga is very, very good. It's the best of the best."

Trainer Ian Wilkes is looking forward to a productive weekend at the Spa, when he will send out Marylou Whitney's Viva Majorca in the Grade 1, $350,000 Alfred G. Vanderbilt on Saturday and hard-knocking turf sprinterFree as a Bird in Sunday's $100,000 Caress.

Since finishing fourth in the 1 1/8-mile Curlin and sixth in the Grade 1 Travers last year at Saratoga, Viva Majorca has reinvented himself as a sprinter in 2015. The son of Tiago won a six-furlong optional claimer by 3 ¾ lengths on April 30 at Churchill Downs, and most recently closed strongly to take the seven-furlong Kelly's Landing on June 27 at Churchill.

"He's doing well but the race is going to be tough," said Wilkes. "There's no pressure, Marylou and John [Hendrickson] are tremendous people, just great to train for. Six [furlongs] may be a little short for him. I think he's a better seven-furlong horse, but you don't have a lot of opportunities. We'd like to go to the Forego [Grade 1, $700,000, August 29] from here, and we'd like to see some of these horses not go, because they're tough."

Elizabeth Valando's Free as a Bird may appreciate returning to Saratoga, where last year she won the Caress and turned in a phenomenal effort to prevail in the Smart and Fancy. The daughter of Hard Spun was mired in traffic for much of the stretch run of the 5 ½-furlong Smart and Fancy, but finished with a flourish once clear to prevail by a neck and notch her fourth consecutive stakes win on the NYRA circuit.

Free as a Bird, a 6-year-old chestnut mare, is winless in her past two starts, but brings an imposing resume into the Caress having won nine of 19 turf starts.

"We're a year older, but I don't think she's lost a step," said Wilkes. "I freshened her up a little bit and she's been training well."

Having overcome an assortment of ailments that sidelined her for more than a year, Ninety North Racing Stable's Thieves Guild is finally ready to make a belated stakes debut at Saratoga.

The 4-year-old bay daughter of multiple Grade 1 winner Medaglia d'Oro is being pointed to Sunday's $100,000 Caress, a 5 ½-furlong sprint for fillies and mares 4 and up on the inner turf course.

"We took our time and brought her back and it's all paid off well for her," trainer Jimmy Toner said. "We've always thought highly about her and she proved the way she came back that she's a quality filly."

Thieves Guild returned from a 14 ½-month layoff to win a six-furlong turf sprint June 18 at Belmont Park. Blocked behind a wall of horses in mid-stretch, she found a seam under jockey Jose Lezcano and spurted away to a three-length allowance victory.

"She trained really well going into it, so I did expect her to run well. To say that [I knew] she would run as well as she did, that would be overstating it," Toner said. "I think the primary thing is to make sure we gave her enough time to get over that race. I think she's deep enough and quality enough to step up into stakes company. It was frustrating at times when you're trying to get them back and you can't get them back when you want but it's also gratifying when they do come back that way. "

Thieves Guild broke her maiden at Fair Grounds last February going 5 ½ furlongs, then was fourth in an entry level allowance at Keeneland eight weeks later. She did not race again until beating a field of eight as the favorite in June.

"We always thought she had a lot of potential, but she just had so many different issues that we had to deal with over the course of time and every time we brought her back something else would come up. It was just one of those things," Toner said. "One thing about [Ninety North's] Justin Nicholson; it's never a question of when. It's when they're ready. He's got the patient of a saint."

Among the horses Toner has at Saratoga are 2013 Chelsea Flower Stakes winner and multiple Grade 3-placed filly Recepta, scheduled to run in the $100,000 Fasig-Tipton De La Rose Aug. 8; unraced 2-year-old colt Manitoulin, out of the Toner-trained 1999 champion grass mare Soaring Softly; multiple graded stakes-placed Moment in Dixie and her unraced juvenile half-sister,Time and Motion.

"And one of these days, Wabbajack will be back," Toner said. "We're in good shape. We've got some action."

Defending champion Weekend Hideawaywill take on stakes winners Ostrolenka,Readthebyline and Moonlight Song in a field of eight New York-breds entered for Thursday's $100,000 John Morrissey.

Also entered in the 6 ½-furlong main track sprint is multiple Grade 1 winner Palace for trainer Linda Rice, who is also considering the Saturday's Grade 1, $350,000 Alfred G. Vanderbilt at six furlongs for the 6-year-old son of City Zip.

Red and Black Stable's Weekend Hideaway, three-for-five lifetime at Saratoga, has one win from seven starts since last year's Morrissey, which he won by two lengths in gate-to-wire fashion. Defending Spa riding champion Javier Castellano has the mount from post 1 at topweight of 124 pounds.

Winner of the Mike Lee May 25 and the Sleepy Hollow last fall, both at Belmont Park, Ostrolenka is the lone 3-year-old in the field. Most recently, he led to the stretch before fading to fifth in the July 3 New York Derby at Finger Lakes.

Readthebyline cuts back from 1 1/16 miles in his first start since being claimed July 10 by trainer Marcus Vitali. Moonlight Song has not raced since being a front-running winner of the Hudson Stakes last October to cap his 7-year-old campaign.

Rounding out the field are John's Island,Smooth Bert and Noble Cornerstone.

Gil Johnston's Syros hit all the high notes in his most recent start in Nashville, and he leads a powerful group from trainer Jack Fisher's stable for the $75,000 Jonathan Kiser Novice Stakes on Thursday.

Jump racing's emerging stars are spotlighted in the National Steeplechase Association's novice division, and Syros, with Jack Doyle up, will be looking to graduate into the championship division with a victory in the 2 1/16-mile Kiser.

The 7-year-old Dynaformer gelding set all the pace in the $75,000 Marcellus Frost Novice Stakes at the Iroquois Steeplechase on May 9 and kicked away to a 5 3/4-length victory. His prior victory was in a Saratoga allowance hurdle last August.

Paddy Young will be aboard Edith Dixon's homebred Schoodic for Fisher. An impressive winner of Saratoga's Michael G. Walsh Novice Stakes last August, the 5-year-old finished second in the Queen's Cup MPC 'Chase near Charlotte, N.C., on April 25 in his 2015 debut.

Fisher also trains the Queen's Cup winner,Selection Sunday, who is owned by Andre W. Brewster and Sheila Williams. The 6-year-old Harlan's Holiday gelding will be ridden by Sean McDermott in the Kiser.

Racing Hall of Fame trainer Jonathan Sheppard, who is looking to keep alive his record of at least one Saratoga victory each year since 1969, will saddle Stone Farm's homebred Mandola, who finished second in the Marcellus Frost. Kieran Norris has a return call on the 5-year-old son of Bluegrass Cat.

Trainer Kate Dalton will send out Gary Barber's African Oil, who has marked himself as an emerging star with a maiden win at Iroquois and an allowance victory at Monmouth Park on June 19. The trainer's husband, veteran jockey Bernie Dalton, will ride the French-bred.

Also heading to the race, which honors the memory of the champion jockey who died in a non-racing accident in 2000, are Portrade,Cocodimama, Orchestra Leader, andBalance the Budget.

Also from Nyra.com

The field entered for Friday's $100,000 Curlin Stakes at Saratoga Race Course is comprised by a group of 3-year-olds each looking to forge a path to mid-summer glory. One year ago, V.E. Day successfully went the same route taking the Curlin before going on to pull off an upset victory in the Grade 1 Travers.

Trainer Todd Pletcher will saddle two contenders in Stanford for owners Stonestreet Stables, Susan Magnier, Michael Tabor, Derrick Smith; and Tommy Macho for Paul Pompa, Jr. and All American Horses, LLC. Stanford, purchased for $550,000 at the Barretts Equine Limited March 2014 Sale of selected 2-year-olds in training, began his racing career by breaking his maiden at Monmouth Park before entering the Grade 2 Saratoga Special, where he bobbled at the start and encountered a difficult trip to finish sixth.

He returned for his 3-year-old season at Gulfstream Park to win an optional claimer before three consecutive second-place finishes in the Islamorada Handicap at Gulfstream, the Grade 2 Louisiana Derby at the Fair Grounds, and the Easy Goer at Belmont Park. In his most recent race, the Long Branch Stakes July 11 at Monmouth Park he rallied from three wide to win by 1 ¼ lengths.

Drawing post position 2, Stanford will be ridden by Hall of Famer John Velazquez.

Tommy Macho, a son of Macho Uno with two victories from four lifetime starts, enters off a third-place finish in the Grade 3 Dwyer on July 4, earning a Beyer Speed Figure of 95.

With Javier Castellano, Tommy Macho will depart from post 7.

Team Valor International will enter Unrivaled from the barn of Marya Montoya. Claimed for $30,000 in October of 2014 at Keeneland Race course, the son of Kentucky Derby winner Super Saver has two wins from nine starts. Last out, he failed to menace racing outside for most of the way at Parx after losing the Parx Derby by less than a length.

Making a return to dirt for the first time since April and looking to move forward will be King of New York for trainer Ken McPeek and owner Harold Lerner. Breaking his maiden in his eighth career start on March 14 at Oaklawn Park, the Street Boss colt lost by a neck in an optional claimer at Oaklawn before trying the turf for three consecutive races where he picked up one win. Last out, he finished fourth in the Grade 3 American Derby on July 11 at Arlington Park.

Rounding out the field is Battle Midway for Hall of Fame trainer Nick Zito and owner Mossarosa; Tekton for Shortleaf Stable and trainer Anthony Dutrow, and Smart Transition for trainer John Sheriffs.

Only looked at the late Pick 4 as I'm short on time but I like Oklahoma Den as a single in the 8th for crafty shipper Charles Simon. 7th race looks like a crapshoot with four making their yearly debuts including red hot Mott at 12/1. Will use 6/5 All Included in the 9th but there are others capable at decent prices. Sequence could pay nicely.

1,2,4,5,8,10,11 / 9 / 2,4,10,11 / 1,2,4 $42

I have two spot plays for today...

1) R4 played #8 to win - Noble Cornerstone should get an honest pace to close into

WVA Derby, Curlin, Jim Dandy , Haskell are way too many 3 yo races for the same weekend. .everyone is cross entered , Haskell ups the ante..already 2 Dandy defects..how many of these races are going to end up being good now anyways?

Fri is another card filled with wide open, competitive races ...should be value galore, double pk 6 carryover

Fri

R1 tough turf sprint, some drop downs, #3 most likely winner imo and #5 is a live bomb

R2 to start early pk4 I'm going light , single/spread/single/spread...#5 looks like a well meant drop down, trouble in 1st two races vs better maybe today is the day, Chad nearly 50% last year and half MSW to MCL , #6 switches barns , drops out of MSW and attracts Javy, #12 also drops in class, adds blinkers but poor post on inner turf.

R3: using 2,3,6,9,10...10 will be fav and one to beat but enters race off layoff, Wesley Ward lowest ROI at Spa of all trainers L5 years, jockey Rosario off to 1 for 40 start or something

R4: #7 is a lightly raced improving 3 yo ..exits race vs winner I think will win Kings Bishop and runner up of Dwyer Texas Red could win Dandy on Saturday. .back to back 95 Beyers make him tough here, lack of early speed in here coupled with outside post advantage as well

R5: 1,1A entry,4,6,7 on pk4 tickets ...1 improved while adding lasix in last, now 2nd Lasix and 2nd off layoff now stretching in distance which should be a plus for BernardinI offspring, Albertrani good multiple sprints to route..#4 working sharp, bet in debut, Mott is hot, half to Authenticity. ..#6 improved stretching in distance in last. ..#7 2nd off layoff also improved stretching out in last

R6 is another wide open race...will not be surprised if any of the 3,4,5,8,9, 1/1A entry win...but i may make a win bet on #3 as I love Maker off the claim in turf races and also love his turf stretchouts

R7: 6,2 in that order for me..#6 is training up a storm, great debut for Zito who doesn't win 1st out, slow start and wide run vs wire to wire winner, 3rd place finisher out of race came back to win , good move for Zito 2nd time starters on dirt in MSW races

R8 I narrowed it down to a few but #9 has big race over course and distance last year, now dirt to turf, blinkers off and 1st gelding off layoff but Clement is 10/35 29% last 5 years with his turf sprinters off 180+ day layoffs

R9 1 and 7 look to be the early speeds and #5 should get a nice trip right behind them, last out and three back make #5 major player in here as well. .tough trip in last , 2 for 4 distance and win over track as well

R10 could be my play of the day, more on that tomorrow

Sat

R1: Saturday card opens with a 3 turn turf route, many could be distance challenged but shipper #5 is proven going a long distance and at 15-1 ml #2 is certainly worth a look, good turf route form last year including two races over course in which he had poor outside post positions

R2: wide open 2YO race, I know Lloyd remembers #7..and we even discussed this scenario after his debut race, watch for 2nd career start at Spa as Clement can move them up 2nd out, while winner of last could be ok was scratched from 2 yo stakes opening weekend (but Asmussen poor with 2YO off maiden wins-- Paynes Prairie), no 1sters look great here so the ones with a race under their belt should get the edge

R3: #6 drops down from back to back grade 2's and cuts in distance, best race was sprinting now back to that

Swamped with a family reunion this weekend so I'll probably be AWOL until Monday. Best of luck this weekend Play!

I have a good jump on Sunday Spa card, it's not very good. .still have to get through Haskell card

But if anyone wants to go through these Saturday Spa races, I'm down

Looking at 1st race and going to take a shot with #3
If he gets a good pace upfront he should be coming late.

Back