Rod's European Basketball (November '07)

rod_steel

Have an adequate day
Domestic Leagues YTD (20-16-0) +8.20 units

Euroleague YTD (4-2-0) +6.40 units

Second round of the Euroleague starts mid week. There looks to be some really good matchups this week, will revert back bit later.

looking forward to see what are your euroleague leans buddy, gl this week :cheers:

:cheers:

Going to ride with the hottest team in Italy against the best team in Europe. Probably playing with fire because as much as Siena have been tearing apart their opposition this season with the uptempo, fast break style of basketball they have not yet faced any team close to having the transition defense of CSKA Moscow nor as deep a squad. I think this will be close at the start with CSKA pulling away late however will bet on Siena to get inside the huge number. I simply can't ignore the form of Lavrinovic and Kaukenas so got to take a shot here

Siena +9.5 over CSKA Moscow (3)

I think Thursday's card is a whole lot better so won't force anything more for Wednesday.

thats what i wanted to see from you :D
Siena is pumped up right now, definitely one of the hottest team in europe at the moment. Anyway Siena results are a lil bit affected by the fact that most of Italian teams at the moment are playing awfully, even the best teams, and the general level of the league is pretty low compared to what have been in the past years.
CSKA coach Messina knows very well Siena and he chosed to let Papaloukas and Smodis rest in the last home league match to have them ready tonight, but i still think the spread is too big anyway.
Siena is really trying to make a statement here: if we cant win in Mosca, well at least lets show we can compete and be a top 8 team in europe.
gl buddy.

Going to ride with the hottest team in Italy against the best team in Europe. Probably playing with fire because as much as Siena have been tearing apart their opposition this season with the uptempo, fast break style of basketball they have not yet faced any team close to having the transition defense of CSKA Moscow nor as deep a squad. I think this will be close at the start with CSKA pulling away late however will bet on Siena to get inside the huge number. I simply can't ignore the form of Lavrinovic and Kaukenas so got to take a shot here

Siena +9.5 over CSKA Moscow (3)

I think Thursday's card is a whole lot better so won't force anything more for Wednesday.

FT: CSKA Moscow 74-70 - WIN +2.7 units

I think Siena have proven tonight that they havegotten over the nightmare of last season's ULEB Cup and are a legit contender for a top 4 spot. Brilliant fightback by the Italians in the 4th quarter.

amazing stuff rod ;)
siena is definitely top 8 material and they are a serious contender to reach the final 4. they fought back in the 4th and really had a couple of chances to grab the win.. but hey.. still good for the handicap.. congrats man! :cheers:

Playing a few for Thursday

Aris +3 over Le Mans (4)

Tau -12.5 over Bologna (3)

Olympija ML over Olympiakos - (+255) (1)

Playing a few for Thursday

Aris +3 over Le Mans (4)

Tau -12.5 over Bologna (3)

Olympija ML over Olympiakos - (+255) (1)

FT: Aris 69-66 - WIN +3.6 units

FT: Tau 98-71 - WIN +2.7 units

FT: Union Olympija 87-78 - WIN +2.55 units

Round 2 Euroleague (4-0-0) +11.55 units

Euroleague YTD (8-2-0) +17.95 units

Cheers fellas.

Now that the excitement of Euroleague is temporarily over, back to the grind of the domestic leagues this weekend starting with Saturday.

Greek A1 - Round 3

Olympia -5 over Rethimno (4)

Kolossoss +3.5 over Panellinos (3)

AEL Larissa +5.5 over Egaelo (3)

Italian A1 - Round 8

Upim Bologna -3 over La Fortezza Bolgna (4)

Spanish ACB - Round 7

Estudiantes +12.5 over Tau (3.5)

DKV Joventut -7.5 over Leon (3)

Greek A1 - Round 3

Olympia -5 over Rethimno (4) - WIN +3.6 units

Kolossoss +3.5 over Panellinos (3) - LOSS -3 units

AEL Larissa +5.5 over Egaelo (3) - LOSS -3 units

Italian A1 - Round 8

Upim Bologna -3 over La Fortezza Bolgna (4) - WIN +3.6 units

Spanish ACB - Round 7

Estudiantes +12.5 over Tau (3.5) - LOSS -3.5 units

DKV Joventut -7.5 over Leon (3) - WIN +2.7 units

Not happy about the Students pick over Tau. Overplayed the backing up from Euroleague angle and got burnt. Something for me to to learn from.

Week to date (3-3-0) +0.4 units

Back for Sunday's card later.

On to Sunday's card.

Italian A1 - Round 8

Cantu +7.5 over Scavolini (4)

Roma +4.5 over
Bennetton (3)

Siena -15 over Biella (3)

Spanish ACB - Round 6

Valladolid +7.5 over Manresa (4)

Fuenlabrada +12.5 over Barcelona (3)

Greek A1 - Round 3

Panathinaikos -5.5 over Olympiakos (4)

EDIT: Apologies that was supposed to be Roma getting the points against Bennetton.

Last edited:
On to Sunday's card.

Italian A1 - Round 8

Cantu +7.5 over Scavolini (4) - LOSS -4 units

Roma +4.5 over
Bennetton (3) - WIN +2.7 units

Siena -15 over Biella (3) - WIN +2.7 units

Spanish ACB - Round 6

Valladolid +7.5 over Manresa (4) - WIN +3.6 units

Fuenlabrada +12.5 over Barcelona (3) - LOSS -3 units

Greek A1 - Round 3

Panathinaikos -5.5 over Olympiakos (4) - LOSS -4 units

This week's round (6-6-0) -1.60 units

Domestic Leagues YTD (26-22-0) +6.60 units

Back for some Euroleague action later in the week.

Early start to Round 3 in Euroleague with the one game between Ulker and Roma on Tuesday evening. Just a small one for me here.

Ulker over Roma - (-110) (2)

Moving on to Thursday's card there are only 3 games I am playing today

CSKA Moscow -10.5 over Olimpija (3)

Siena -14 over Zalgiris (3)

Partizan Belgrade +5.5 over Panathinaikos (2)

Moving on to Thursday's card there are only 3 games I am playing today

CSKA Moscow -10.5 over Olimpija (3)

Siena -14 over Zalgiris (3)

Partizan Belgrade +5.5 over Panathinaikos (2)

FT: Olimpija 74-72 - LOSS -3 units

FT: Siena 89-64 - WIN +2.7 units

FT: Panathinaikos 74-70 - WIN +1.8 units

Thursday's card...

Efes Pilsen +3.5 over Maccabi Tel Aviv (4)

Malaga -2.5 over Milano (3)

Prokom Trefl +6.5 over Tau (3)

May add another later.

Thursday's card...

Efes Pilsen +3.5 over Maccabi Tel Aviv (4)

Malaga -2.5 over Milano (3)

Prokom Trefl +6.5 over Tau (3)

May add another later.

FT: Maccabi Tel Aviv 73-67 - LOSS -4 units

FT: Malaga 74-65 -
WIN +2.7 units

FT: Tau 82-66 - LOSS -3 units

Euroleague Round 3 (4-3-0) -1.0 unit

Euroleague YTD (12-5-0) +16.95 units

Bigger plays did me over this round, back for the domestic weekend later.

Thanks BC

Moving on to the weekend domestic scene on Saturday like a few across the board:

Spanish ACB - Round 7

Girona ML over Real Madrid - (+105) (4)

Italian A1 - Round 9

Cantu -3.5 over Montegranaro (3)

Greek A1 - Round 4

Aris +11.5 over Panathinaikos (3)

Panellinios -7.5 over Egaleo (2)

I'll do a full recap of the weekend games after Sunday's card.

Italian A1 - Round 9

Napoli -4.5 over Scavolini (5)

Siena -9 over La Fortezza Bologna (3)

Spanish ACB - Round 7

Estudiantes +4.5 over Cajasol (5)

Tau -4.5 over Gran Canaria (3)

Moving on to the weekend domestic scene on Saturday like a few across the board:

Spanish ACB - Round 7

Girona ML over Real Madrid - (+105) (4) - LOSS -4 units

Italian A1 - Round 9

Cantu -3.5 over Montegranaro (3) - LOSS -3 units

Greek A1 - Round 4

Aris +11.5 over Panathinaikos (3) - WIN +2.7 units

Panellinios -7.5 over Egaleo (2) - LOSS -2 units

Saturday recap (1-3-0) -6.30 units

I'll do a full recap of the weekend games after Sunday's card.

Italian A1 - Round 9

Napoli -4.5 over Scavolini (5) - LOSS -5 units

Siena -9 over La Fortezza Bologna (3) - WIN +2.7 units

Spanish ACB - Round 7

Estudiantes +4.5 over Cajasol (5) - LOSS -5 units

Tau -4.5 over Gran Canaria (3) - WIN +2.7 units

Sunday recap (2-2-0) -4.60 units

Week (3-5-0) -10.90 units

Domestic Leagues YTD (29-27-0) -4.30 units

Easily my worst round of domestic ball of the season to date. Will refocus for the midweek Euroleague and try and get back into the +ve this coming weekend in the domestic scene.

Last edited:
A couple of incredible ATS stats so far:

-Siena have covered every game they have played this season so far in both the Italian league (9 games) and Euroleague games (3 games)
- On the flipside the Greek giants Panathinaikos have yet to cover a single game in either the domestic Greek league (4 games) and Euroleague games (3 games)

Amazing stuff.

Euroleague Round 4

Several games on Wednesday evening. Few I like tonight:

CSKA Moscow -9.5 over Olympiakos (4)

Ulker +2 over Roanne (3)

Real Madrid -9.5 over Partizan PMB (3)

Rod, Olympiakos is missing 3 players, including their star, but how do you think CSKA will handle the game without Smodis?

Euroleague Round 4

Several games on Wednesday evening. Few I like tonight:

CSKA Moscow -9.5 over Olympiakos (4)

Ulker +2 over Roanne (3)

Real Madrid -9.5 over Partizan PMB (3)

FT: CSKA Moscow 88-79- LOSS -4 units hook the bitch :hang:

FT: Ulker 97-90 - WIN +2.7 units

FT: Real Madrid 75-64- WIN +2.7 units

Could have been a great night but + money is always fine

shakes - sorry dude just saw your post now. Smodis was obviously a huge blow to Moscow but this team has incredible depth in Euroleague (where the non foreigner rule doesn't apply unlike in the Russian domestic league) so it was never a concern for me

Satyr - congrats on Ulker, they really motored in the second half with their strength in the bench over the French team clearly on display.

I'm going to continue to the ride the ATS trends I posted above regarding both Siena and Panathinaikos. Siena have already shown me this season that they truly belong amongst the elite of Europe highlighted by their performance in Moscow where they pushed CSKA all the way. Tau have not lost a home game in Euroleague competition for 29 games spanning close to 3 years, so not going to go crazy on his play.

I'm confident PAO will come good eventually, as is the Greek way they have just started the season really slowly. I'm a bit wary backing Barcelona after the hiding they received last season by the Greens but 7.5 points is probably on the high side at this stage of the season for PAO to lay.

Siena +4.5 over Tau (3)

Barcelona +7.5 over Panathinaikos (3)

Roma -7.5 over Brose (4)

I'm going to continue to the ride the ATS trends I posted above regarding both Siena and Panathinaikos. Siena have already shown me this season that they truly belong amongst the elite of Europe highlighted by their performance in Moscow where they pushed CSKA all the way. Tau have not lost a home game in Euroleague competition for 29 games spanning close to 3 years, so not going to go crazy on his play.

I'm confident PAO will come good eventually, as is the Greek way they have just started the season really slowly. I'm a bit wary backing Barcelona after the hiding they received last season by the Greens but 7.5 points is probably on the high side at this stage of the season for PAO to lay.

Siena +4.5 over Tau (3)

Barcelona +7.5 over Panathinaikos (3)

Roma -7.5 over Brose (4)

FT: Tau 76-61 - LOSS -3 units

FT: Panathinaikos 76-66 -
LOSS -3 units

FT: Roma 81-57 - WIN +3.6 units

The ATS trend for both Siena and Panathinaikos killed off in one night. It was good while it lasted!

Round 4 Euroleague (3-3-0) -1.0 unit

Euroleague YTD (15-8-0) +15.95 units

Back to the domestic scene for Saturday

Spanish ACB - Round 8

Estudiantes +4.5 over DKV Joventut (5)

Malaga +8.5 over Tau (3)

Greek A1 - Round 5

PAOK +4 over Kolossos (3)

Sunday's card, most likely take a break from the domestic scene and focus solely on Euroleague after today as I can't seem to get anything going.

Italian A1 -Round 10

Milano +2.5 over Roma (4)

Siena -16.5 over Rieti (3)

Spanish ACB - Round 8

Girona -1.5 over Manresa (4)

I was a bit tardy in my recap of this weekend.

Spanish ACB - Round 8

Estudiantes +4.5 over DKV Joventut (5) - LOSS -5 units

Malaga +8.5 over Tau (3) - LOSS -3 units

Greek A1 - Round 5

PAOK +4 over Kolossos (3) - LOSS -3 units

Italian A1 -Round 10

Upim Bologna +5.5 over Scavolini (4) - WIN +3.6 units

Italian A1 -Round 10

Milano +2.5 over Roma (4) - LOSS -4 units

Siena -16.5 over Rieti (3) - WIN +2.7 units

Spanish ACB - Round 8

Girona -1.5 over Manresa (4) -WIN +3.6 units

Week Recap (3-4-0) -5.1 units

Domestic Leagues YTD (32-31-0) -9.40 units

Euroleague YTD (15-8-0) +15.95 units

OVERALL YTD (47-39-0) +6.55 units

Euroleague Round 5

Better card on Thursday but I will play a couple for Wednesday

Siena -17 over Bologna (4)

Roma +3.5 over Partizan (3)

gl rod, really like siena in this spot. The team is in great shape and the crowd is feeling this. Lots of fans expected tonight to push the home team to a big win. Bologna just won their first game after a 6 games losing streak, but they really cant cope with Montepaschi as long as Siena stay focused.
Besides, its an italian derby, so the rivalry will do the rest. Siena wants this badly.
Gl with Roma too, i liked it too at first glance, but decided to stay away because home court being such a great factor for Partizan.
:cheers:

edit: didnt notice rome match already started, thought it was scheduled @ 20.30 CET.. oh well

Last edited:
Sorry been a bit slack updating this as I have been on the move since Thanksgiving and didn't get a chance to post my Thursday nighters.

Euroleague Round 5

Better card on Thursday but I will play a couple for Wednesday

Siena -17 over Bologna (4)

Roma +3.5 over Partizan (3)

FT: Siena 80-69 - LOSS -4 units

FT: Partizan 91-86 - LOSS -3 units

Round 5 (0-2-0) -7 units

Euroleague YTD (15-10-0) +8.95 units

Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread Rod, I don't think there's a need to open a new one. I'm going to take Lietuvos Rytas today. Unicaja are down two men (Haislip and Gabriel), they're shaky as it is (in ACB liga they're only 3-6) and Lietuvos have shown strength in previous seasons as much as this one, they're able to cope with the best. They're not as strong as in 05/06 but with Bajramovic back they will compete tonight. I'll be taking them ATS and ML, smaller play on the latter naturally.

I just see now you took it with 5 units, can you say in a few words why it is such a strong pick to you, I may tail it. My friend from Turkey advises to play under 148.5 in this one, but I'm curious what made you take it with 5 units.

Thanks. :shake:

Sorry Satyr was out all day and only just logged in and saw your post. I haven't bothered providing explanations only because I didn't think there was much interest here for European basketball. I basically use this thread as a self tracker these days.

Going forward I'll try and provide some comments :cheers:

Congrats on Lietuvos Rytas I try and avoid playing games involving Malaga only because that team is an enigma lol

Back