Rocky Long out at UNM

JPicks

Pretty much a regular
Mods feel free to move into the coaching thread if need be.

ROCKY LONG STEPS DOWN AS LOBOS’ HEAD COACH

Rocky Long, the winningest head coach in the history of University of New Mexico football, has decided to step down from the position he has held for the past 11 seasons effective immediately. Long, 58, compiled a 65-69 record as the head coach of his alma mater, but guided the Lobos to five bowl appearances in seven seasons since 2002. UNM won the 2007 New Mexico Bowl for its first bowl victory since 1961. New Mexico made just six bowl appearances from 1938-2001.
The Lobos wrapped up their 2008 season last Saturday with a 20-6 loss at Colorado State. New Mexico is the first Football Bowl Subdivision school to end its regular season.
UNM finished 4-8 overall and 2-6 in the Mountain West Conference in 2008. It’s the most losses for UNM overall and in conference play since 1998 when it finished 3-9 overall and 1-7 in the final season of the Western Athletic Conference.
“I really appreciate all the support of the loyal Lobo fans throughout the years,” said Long, who was a three-year starter at quarterback for UNM from 1969-71. “I also want to thank (former athletics director) Rudy Davalos, President Schmidly, Paul Krebs and the support staff for everything they have done to make our program get better in the past 11 years. I think the football program has a solid foundation and is in a position to really improve, given new leadership.”
“Coach Long’s decision to step down was unexpected,” said UNM Vice President for Athletics Paul Krebs. “We can’t say enough about the accomplishments and contributions that Rocky has made to the University of New Mexico. He is arguably the most successful coach in the history of Lobo football. Because of Rocky’s passion and devotion to his alma mater, the program has been elevated and we are optimistic about the future.”
“For as long as people talk about Lobos football, they’ll talk about Rocky Long, because for as long as we’ve been playing football at UNM, no coach has been more of a winner than Rocky, and his winning relationship with UNM goes back almost 40 years now,” said UNM President David Schmidly.

ROCKY LONG’S HEAD COACHING HIGHLIGHTS AT NEW MEXICO
• A 65-69 overall record in 11 seasons, but 46-40 since 2002, the third-best mark in the league
• UNM appeared in only six bowl games between 1938-2001, but went to five games in a seven-season period from 2002-08...that includes a 23-0 victory over Nevada in the 2007 New Mexico Bowl, marking the Lobos’ first bowl win since the 1961 Aviation Bowl
• New Mexico was the only school in the Mountain West Conference to be bowl eligible and produce at least six wins in seven straight seasons from 2001-07....that’s also a first in Lobo history
• The only team in the MWC that had a non-losing record in conference games every season from 2001-07
• 49 wins from 2001-07 - an average of 7 a season - the most by UNM in a 7-year span
• A 30-23 record in Mountain West Conference games since 2002, the third-most wins in the league over that period behind Utah and BYU
• The program’s top-15 semester grade-point-averages were attained under Long, all in the past 17 terms, since the 2000 spring semester, including a program-best 2.79 in the spring of 2008, and a 2.98 in the summer of 2008
• 73 academic all-conference performers from 2001-07
• Seniors Cody Kase and Vince Natali were named Academic All-America in 2007...they were the only two players from the Mountain West Conference to make the prestigious team
• 9 All-Americans from 2001-08
• 10 NFL Draft picks from 1999-2008
• 33 first team all-MWC honorees from 2003-07, 12 more than any other school in the league over that span
• New Mexico fans were responsible for three straight school records (2003-04-05) for season tickets sold and annual average attendance

Fuck yeah. He's a very good coach. Sucks he has to step down. He'll get another gig somewhere else.

If he was forced out then I don't know what to say. The Lobos should have been grateful to have him.

agree he had a good coaching career at UNM, but honestly I believe he was slipping at least the last two years...heard him flat out say, "We don't throw on first down unless we have to" to a TV reporter at the half...even though he may think that and everyone else may know that, I was like wtf is he doing saying it on TV?...that's got to be it for him you think or does he take a job somewhere else?

pags - I agree to an extent. However, last year was arguably his best as head coach of the Lobos. UNM finished 9-4 (best season ending record as HC), and won the New Mexico Bowl (only bowl win), beating Nevada.

This year seemed to be a bit of a down year...but, he was there for 11 seasons...maybe he's finally ready for a change of pace? He accomplished just about everything he possibly could at UNM, with the exception of finishing 1st in the MWC.

aztec,

I understand what you are saying...not saying he deserved to be fired because of one year...just felt like when I watched him coach this year that he wasn't into it...possibly one of those "game has passed him by" coaches...I just don't see him being the type of coach on the recruiting scene going after top talent to bring to his program...can he manage a game? yes...can he coach defense? no question...just feel the administration probably wants to get a younger, more energetic coach to compete with the BYU's, Utah's and TCU's of the world...

He did an amazing job of convincing juco talent to go there. Lets face it albuquerque is not an easy place to recruit to .... believe me. Program is much better than the way he found it and will probably regress in his absence.

If it was a force out , what are they expecting from this program ????

aztec,

I understand what you are saying...not saying he deserved to be fired because of one year...just felt like when I watched him coach this year that he wasn't into it...possibly one of those "game has passed him by" coaches...I just don't see him being the type of coach on the recruiting scene going after top talent to bring to his program...can he manage a game? yes...can he coach defense? no question...just feel the administration probably wants to get a younger, more energetic coach to compete with the BYU's, Utah's and TCU's of the world...

This is a great post. Pretty much sums up the whole situation at UNM this season. When Porterie went down to injury early in the season, it seemed like the wind went out of Rocky's sails, although the team kept fighting and played well by all accounts given the fact they are young, and the best QB on the team was lost for the year.

aztec,

Definitely makes sense when you put it like that.

:shake:

Good article and great thought pags. Read a bunch on the UNM message board and there is now way to spin it other than this being a completely shitty deal for UNM. Long was the only thing keeping them above the likes of Wyoming, UNLV and SDSU. It's a bad deal for the MWC as well as it's likely to create a wider gap between the top 4 and the bottom 3 with CSU still figuring out what's going on.

From everything I've read Long 100% wants to continue coaching in some capacity as a D coordinator. I'm sure it'll take all of 20 seconds for him to get a job as he has a great defensive mind. I really hope that he didn't make a drastic decision during the middle of one bad year. I'd rather he told the admin that it was likely he was going to retire at the end of the season and they should have a short list prepared to replace him. A sort of out in-case he looks back at years end and realized it was just a tough decision.

I hope for the conference they hire somebody great, but I think they're letting somebody great get away. Hard to spin this in a positive direction for the university especially when you hear Rocky Long rip on the fan base. The local newspapers rips on the Lobos all the time and the fanbase is fickel at best. It's going to get worse before it gets better down there imo.

thanks jpicks...good thoughts by you as well here...anyone know of who they are considering to replace him?...ultimately this hire will determine whether they get closer or farther away from the big three, with the latter probably being the case unless they pull a rabbit out of their hat...wasn't Bob Toledo the coach before Long?...geesh..

Rumors in Utah already floating around that Long was offered the DC job at BYU and he said no thanks. Another less believable rumor has Utah DC Gary Anderson heading up north to coach the Utah State Aggies and Long possibly being interested in stepping in at DC for the Utes.

ALL RUMORS though.

Haven't heard much about UNM opening other than they hired a "firm" to do a nationwide search. WTF is that?

Back