• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

RJ's 2006-07 CFB Bowl Picks, News, and Discussion

nominated for the year's longest thread, w/out any actual plays in it.

j/k...couldn't resist after skimming the whole thing. stunningly classic new avatar, though.

Yanks26Sox6 said:
nominated for the year's longest thread, w/out any actual plays in it.

j/k...couldn't resist after skimming the whole thing. stunningly classic new avatar, though.

I'll get to play soon, dude. Like in a week or two when bowls start. Lines have kinda settled in at this point.

T&A makes the world go round.

BUCKEYEWITNESS NEWS ROUNDUP: tOSU RULZ.

Subcommandante Wayne, Buckeye fan, is in charge of the blog today. Just a reminder for those wondering where the hell Orson went, which is to the bar.

Orson told me I have to post news and crap about other teams. Well, here’s the first bit of news.

–tOSU RULZ!!! Don’t act like y’all don’t know. Ask bitchy little bitch Korby Jones and his pet jaw Brokey ’bout it.
</EMBED>
–Some Florida recruit named Rainey has a lawyer now. Whatever. Everyone knows high school players get paid, but who cares. The real money comes when you get to college, where the big bucks are.

–Alabama’s sucky football team just tried to hire a guy named Rod. Rod. Heh.

–N.C. State’s hiring Tom O’Brien. You know who cares? No one. tOSU rulz.

Bob Davie to Boston College? This is what you’re supposed to do in blogposts composed of other people’s rumors, like “Lloyd Carr, Yag?” Except that’s not a rumor cause he’s totally Yag and you know it, bitches.

–USC stuff is going cheap. If you wait ’til it gets in the Goodwill piles, though, it’s even cheaper.

–You know what else is Yag? Notre Dame. They named themselves after a girl for pete’s sake. That’s Yag. Unless we’re talking about two Yag chicks doing it, which it totally hot. I love lesbians–especially when they’re straight.

But I gotta share this funny shit from a Notre Dame blogger about Howard Schnellenberger. I don’t know who that is but it’s a funny name, because it has the word “berger” in it.

–Some dude’s all upset because people have their priorities straight at Florida State. Molecular recognition? I recognize something, perfess3r: DEEZ NUTS!!!!

–Fuck a duck: reserved camping at Jamboree in the Hills is SOLD OUT ALREADY. Anyone out there gonna let the Subcommandante crash on the ol’ couch, eh? I’ll totally get you laid, because when I roll at the Jamboree the poonanny fever outbreak follows me baby, and the only cure is an injection from Dr. Wayne.

Mike Price to ASU? Maybe this will make the decision easier

UTEP (and former Alabama-for-like-a-day) coach Mike Price is rumored to be one of the leading candidates to take over at Arizona State. As reader Devil Grad pointed out to us in an e-mail, there couldn't be a more perfect match of coach and university.

In an effort to help Mr. Price with the decision of whether to pursue the ASU job, we're providing a list of the closest "Gentlemen's Clubs" to the Tempe campus. And with the help of Google Earth, we've even provided a map (click on it to see a bigger version):

A. Bombshell's Cabaret Gentleman's Club - How can you beat $10 lap dances?

B. Elite Cabaret Gentleman's Club - the closest one to campus which is good for the access to cheerleaders, but could be bad for your reputation.

C. Sonny's Bar and Gentleman's Club - well off the beaten path in Chandler, it's a more desirable destination for discreet encounters, though may require a hotel and we know how that worked out last time.

G. Christie's Cabaret - closest one to the airport which could come in handy in case another quick exit out of town is required.

H. Suede Restaurant and Lounge - near a number of hotels; just be sure not to let any of the ladies you invite back with you to order room service.

I. Band Aids Show Lounge - I don't know why they'd be wearing Band Aids so you might want to stay away from this one - unless you lose to Arizona becuase then it might be the only one that lets you in.

Oh, and if that doesn't convince you, Mike, may we introduce you to former ASU cheerleader Courtney Cox...

<!-- End .post --><!-- Begin #comments --><!-- End #comments -->

Defensive coordinator to become new head coach

<!-- end pagetitle --><!-- begin bylinebox -->By Mark Schlabach
ESPN.com

<!-- begin presby2 -->
<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<!-- begin text11 div --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->
Miami didn't look far for a coach to rebuild its struggling football program. Randy Shannon, the Hurricanes' defensive coordinator the last six seasons, has agreed to a four-year contract to become the school's new head coach, a source close to Shannon said Thursday night.

The source said Shannon was offered the job on Thursday and accepted later in the day. Financial terms weren't immediately known, but Shannon's annual salary is believed to be more than $1 million per season.

A Miami official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, also confirmed the hiring.

Shannon, a popular former player and longtime assistant, becomes only the sixth African-American coach in Division I-A football.

"It's the guy that I wanted. It's the guy a lot of us wanted," Miami quarterback Kirby Freeman told The Associated Press. "Randy's been extremely sincere to this football program. He's been sincere about his feelings toward everyone on this team and the direction he wants this program to go. This is definitely the decision I wanted."

Shannon replaces Larry Coker, who was fired Nov. 24, the day after the Hurricanes upset Boston College 17-14 to salvage a 6-6 season.

Coker had a 59-15 record in six seasons at Miami and won the national championship in his first season in 2001. Miami lost to Ohio State 31-24 in double overtime in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl, which cost the Hurricanes a second straight national championship.

Shannon, who has been Miami's defensive coordinator since 2001, is considered a safe hire for the financially strapped athletics department. A native of Miami, Shannon was a linebacker on the Hurricanes' 1987 national championship team and has been a longtime assistant at the school.

Shannon, 40, began working at Miami as a graduate assistant in 1991 and left to work for the Miami Dolphins from 1998 to 2000. He returned to his alma mater to join Coker's staff in 2001.
Shannon has long been regarded one of the country's top defensive coordinators and is well-liked by players. The Hurricanes ranked fifth in Division I-A in total defense this season, allowing 252.1 yards per game, and was third in rushing defense, surrendering only 66 yards per game.

Shannon was considered a viable candidate to replace his former boss from the beginning of the search. The Hurricanes targeted Rutgers coach Greg Schiano as their top choice, but the former Miami defensive coordinator told athletic director Paul Dee on Monday that he wasn't interested in the job.

It is believed the Hurricanes also talked with Texas Tech coach Mike Leach, who expressed interest in the job, and requested permission to interview West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez, who is in contract negotiations to become Alabama's new coach.

"It's an interesting hire," Miami quarterback Kyle Wright told ESPN's Joe Schad. "It's ironic that after a nationwide search, it ends up being Coach Shannon. We'll have to see how it turns out. He's highly respected here. We know how he operates and conducts himself, so we won't have to get used to a new style of play. What I want to see now is who we get as offensive coordinator."

Shannon had lenghty interviews with Miami president Donna Shalala throughout the day Thursday, and she and Miami board of trustee members agreed Shannon was their choice. Shannon met with Dee and Shalala in New York on Tuesday.

The school is expected to announce Shannon's hiring at a press conference Friday morning.

"Randy is the future of our football team now," Freeman told the AP. "And we're going to have some bright, bright success. I'm excited. I'm really excited."
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Rodriguez agrees to become Alabama's next football coach
TUSCALOOSA — University of Alabama officials and West Virginia’s Rich Rodriguez have reached an agreement in principle for Rodriguez to become the Crimson Tide’s next head football coach, two sources close to the search told The Birmingham News tonight.

After Rodriguez’s representatives negotiated with Alabama Athletics Director Mal Moore for most of today, Rodriguez has told Alabama officials he is ready to take the job offer he received this morning.

Sources close to the search said Rodriguez will make over $2 million per year with incentives and will have one of the highest-paid coaching staffs in the Southeastern Conference.

After two weeks of searching for a replacement for coach Mike Shula, who was fired Nov. 26, the only aspect of the process left is for Rodriguez to tell his team he is leaving his home state and alma mater.

Alabama officials are confident Rodriguez will sign his deal Friday morning, sources said, because the two sides have agreed on all economic and non economic issues.

Rodriguez followed his scheduled plans for today, even attending a news conference to publicize the Gator Bowl, which features the Mountaineers (10-2) vs. Georgia Tech (9-4) on Jan. 1 in Jacksonville. A source has told The News that Gator Bowl officials have been warned not to expect Rodriguez to coach in the game.

During today’s Gator Bowl news conference, he limited questions to the bowl game and to West Virginia, but would not guarantee he would coach the Mountaineers in the bowl game.

Texas DB and Co-DC Duane Akina will be acting as DC for Texas during the Alamo Bowl.

This will be the first time Akina has called the plays on defense.

Morning Coffee
By HornsFan Section: Quick Hits
Posted on Fri Dec 08, 2006 at 09:33:19 AM EST

</I>

hornbullet.gif
Aaron Ross won the Thorpe Award? I guess I can't really bitch at the F'W'AA about the Bronco Nagurski choice of Laurinaitis without also pointing out that they botched it with Ross. Aaron did have an outstanding season, but I think we all saw in the Kansas State game that "nation's best defensive back" might have been a stretch. Great news for Ross, though, who did deserve to be recognized for his season. Thorpe Award winner? Maybe not. But a fine season nonetheless.

hornbullet.gif
Mack had a mini-press conference, though it was really just a mandated Alamo Bowl appearance with Kirk Ferentz. Nothing newsworthy yet. Both Colt's injury status and the defensive coordinator search were summarily dismissed as issues to be commented on. Wait and see.

hornbullet.gif
Rivals says Skyline defensive back Christian Scott will make an official visit to Texas in January. Es bueno. We'll keep you updated.

hornbullet.gif
My goodness: money talks. West Virginia's Rich Rodriguez looks like he'll forgo a chance to make one more run with Pat Slaton and become Alabama's next head coach. Looks like an uphill battle, at least in the short-term. Assuming Rodriguez joins the Tide, that'll make four straight big name hires in the SEC: Rich Rodriguez, Urban Meyer, Steve Spurrier, Les Miles. Wait... Les Miles?
hornbullet.gif
All indications are that Mack Brown and Texas really will wait until after the bowl season to make a defensive coordinator hire. Fine by me. I don't see a need to rush.

Lest We Forget: Life Is Still Good

By HornsFan Section: Recruiting
Posted on Fri Dec 08, 2006 at 09:51:28 AM EST
</I>

By John Dawson, Special to Burnt Orange Nation

John is a former recruiting reporter for the
Birmingham News in Alabama. You can also read John's blog at Caffeine and Irony.

At less than 10 weeks until National Signing Day (Feb. 6) Texas appears to be in a defensive posture. Of the remaining uncommitted recruits on the Rivals100 list, none seem to have Texas on their radar.

But it's not necessarily a bad thing. Barring some late flops away from the Longhorns, Texas appears to have locked up the recruiting title once again. So Texas' job in the next 10 weeks is basically to hold serve. There are signs the Longhorns coaching staff recognizes this.

The last time Mack Brown tied up the top-rated Rivals class it included Vincent Young, who headlined a top class that would eventually propel Texas to a National Championship. This year, Texas' isn't pulling down the top player like Young, but the Horns are holding the verbal commitment of five-star quarterback John Brantley.

Much has been made about the strength of the Ocala, Fla. quarterback's commitment. After all, Brantley gave Texas his word eight months ago as a high school junior. Lots of things can change. And coaches like Oklahoma's Bob Stoops and South Carolina's Steve Spurrier have been pressing the Ocala family hard. Ditto Urban Meyer at Florida.

But if you're looking for good news on Brantley, I've got some. If there was a day that Texas coaches could point to and say, `If only we can make it here with an intact commitment, we should make it to the finish line,' today is that day. According to the schedule, Brantley makes his official visit to Austin this weekend in conjunction with the team's annual awards banquet. And yesterday a local report mentioned that Texas assistant coaches were present in Florida when Gatorade named Brantley their National Player of the Year.
So there you go. Some good news on the recruiting front: Texas is still No. 1 and the Longhorns have the weekend to firm up any wobble left in Brantley by using the Horns No. 1 recruiting tool: The City of Austin.

Rodriguez turns down 'Bama, will stay in Morgantown

<!-- end pagetitle --><!-- begin bylinebox -->ESPN.com news services

<!-- begin presby2 -->
<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<!-- begin text11 div --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->
Rich Rodriguez will remain the head coach at West Virginia, a team source confirmed to ESPN.com's Pat Forde.

Rodriguez met with his team at 3 p.m. ET to inform them of the decision.
Rodriguez was a top candidate for the vacant job in Alabama, meeting with school officials this week. Alabama athletic director Mal Moore also confirmed that Rodriguez had removed himself from consideration for that job.

Rodriguez spent Thursday in Jacksonville, Fla., where he participated in a press conference to promote the Toyota Gator Bowl between the Mountaineers and Georgia Tech on Jan. 1.

<TABLE id=inlinetable cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width=240 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"><CENTER>Rodriguez head coaching career</CENTER></TH><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ececec" vAlign=top><TD width=224>
ncf_w_rodriguez_65.jpg

Rodriguez

Rich Rodriguez has guided West Virginia to three Big East championships and four straight New Year's Day Bowl games, including the 2007 Toyota Gator Bowl vs. Georgia Tech. COACHING RECORD:
With West Virginia: 49-24 (2001-present)
With Glenville State (Div. II): 43-26-2 (1990-96)
With Salem (Div. II): 2-8 (1988)
Rodriguez was in his office Friday and planned to meet with West Virginia recruits. This is the final weekend that coaches can have contact with prospects in person for about a month.

Later in the day, the coach planned to preside over the first practice in preparation for the Gator Bowl. He met with the team prior to practice and made his announcement.

Earlier Friday, a West Virginia television station reported that Mountaineers athletic officials were looking to counter Alabama's offer.

Citing sources, WBOY-TV said the school and Rodriguez's representatives were actively negotiating.

Alabama's Moore, senior associate athletic director Finus Gaston and university attorneys spent Thursday meeting in Tuscaloosa with Rodriguez's representative, Mike Brown.

Though the university made inquiries into the availability of South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier and Miami Dolphins coach Nick Saban, Rodriguez is the first coach with whom Moore entered serious discussion. Though Rodriguez won the Big East Conference championship and the Sugar Bowl last season, the most important day of his career will be Friday. The 43-year-old Rodriguez will decide whether to leave his alma mater and his home state to take on one of the most pressurized jobs in college football.
West Virginia increased Rodriguez's salary to $1.1 million last summer. The terms of his contract include a $2 million payment to the university if he leaves before Aug. 31, 2007.

Sources told ESPN's Joe Schad that Alabama extended a six-year, $12 million offer to Rodriguez and that Alabama would pay West Virginia a $2 million buyout. The proposed deal would make Rodriguez among the top 10 highest-paid college coaches in the nation, doubling his current salary.

The Birmingham News reported on its Web site late Thursday that Rodriguez was offered more than $2 million a year with incentives and would have one of the highest-paid coaching staffs in the Southeastern Conference.

The newspaper, citing anonymous sources, said Alabama officials expected him to sign the deal on Friday. That turned out not to be the case.

West Virginia tailback Steve Slaton, in Orlando to attend Thursday night's Home Depot College Football Awards Show at Walt Disney World Resort, told ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach that Rodriguez told his team he's not going anywhere.

When told later that a deal could be imminent, however, Slaton told Schad, "It's a business. He's got to do what's best for his family. It hurts, but we'll be OK."

Center Dan Mozes added, "I'm disappointed. He said he was going to be there his whole career. I'd think he'd stick to his word. If you graduated from there and were a coach there, why would you leave? Maybe it's the money."

Moore did not immediately return a call to his home. Alabama spokesman Doug Walker said the university did not have an announcement scheduled.
A call to Rodriguez's cell phone was not answered.

Saban said earlier Thursday that Alabama had contacted his agent regarding the coaching vacancy, but he wasn't interested.

"I'm flattered that they may have been interested in me, but it never really progressed, because we just never let it progress," Saban said after practice in Davie, Fla.

The Press-Register of Mobile, citing unidentified sources, first reported the offer to Rodriguez from Moore on its Web site.

During his appearance in Jacksonville, Rodriguez declined to respond to questions about the Alabama job but said he planned to meet with West Virginia recruits Friday morning and preside over practice later in the day.
Rodriguez said all the attention on him lately has been a mixed bag.

"It's been tough on me, but I've not let it distract from my day-to-day duties," he said. "When other people have come to talk to my staff or myself personally, it's very flattering. I'd rather have it that way than the other way. I coached a long time and nobody ever called.

"Now some people have expressed an interest in my staff and myself and while it's flattering, it's not changed who we are," he said.

Rodriguez and his wife, Rita, met with Moore on Tuesday night in New York City before the College Football Hall of Fame induction banquet.

Rodriguez has built West Virginia into a Big East power, winning the Sugar Bowl after the 2005 season and a share of three straight league titles. The Mountaineers are 10-2 and will play Georgia Tech on Jan. 1.

In June, Rodriguez signed a seven-year contract that pays him $1 million this year with $50,000 annual raises after that. He'll also collect $600,000 in deferred compensation in December 2011 if he remains as coach.

"I hope it doesn't come down to money," Slaton said. "But he's got to do what's best for his family."

Alabama fired Mike Shula on Nov. 26 after the Tide went 6-6 in his fourth season and lost its fifth consecutive meeting with rival Auburn.
Rodriguez grew up 30 minutes from West Virginia's campus and played for the Mountaineers in the 1980s.

Rodriguez would bring an impressive offensive resume to program that struggled offensively this season. West Virginia ranked second nationally in rushing offense and fourth in total offense last season; Alabama was 75th and 60th, respectively.

Speculation tying Saban to the Crimson Tide job surfaced soon after Shula was let go. Saban publicly denied interest several times, but on Thursday he acknowledged that the school had contacted his agent, Jimmy Sexton.

"They called Jimmy and said, 'Is Nick interested?' And Jimmy said no," Saban said. "Jimmy asked me on several occasions, and I said no.

"I'm interested in staying here. We're in the middle of the season. I'm committed to our team. It's not a very good time to even think about that, to be honest with you," Saban said.
Saban is in the second-year of a five-year deal with Miami.

Peterson Cleared for Fiesta--His Last Collegiate Game

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -- Oklahoma tailback Adrian Peterson returned to the football huddle on Friday after team doctors gave the OK for him to practice and play in the Fiesta Bowl, coach Bob Stoops confirmed.
"He's cleared to play," Stoops said. "We're going to give him more as we lead up to the game and fully expect him to play. He's anxious to play and wants to."
Peterson has been out since breaking his collarbone Oct. 14 during Oklahoma's game against Iowa State.
Nearing the end zone on a 53-yard touchdown run, he was tripped up by Cyclone cornerback Chris Singleton, stumbled, dove and landed awkwardly on his shoulder. Oklahoma won the game 34-9.
On Friday, practice for Peterson, who wasn't made available to speak with reporters, was limited to non-contact and 7-on-7 drills, offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson said.
"I think we want to go a little bit longer before they clear him to be running around where there maybe a collision going on," Wilson said.
Even though he didn't practice much, Peterson's return didn't go unnoticed.
"Everybody was aware of that when we got in the huddle," quarterback Paul Thompson said. "... It was good to see him back in there."
Guard Duke Robinson tried to egg Peterson on in his return.
"I told him, You need to get in there and run somebody over," Robinson said. "That'll get the practice going a bit. He said, no, he needed to chill.
"The presence of him just spirited everybody up. Everybody had a pretty good spirit about practice today."
Peterson ran for 935 yards in six games before the injury.
Despite missing the seven games since, that total still ranks second in the Big 12 Conference. He was selected by conference coaches to be on the All-Big 12 first team.
The Sooners take on Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 1.

Note: This college bowl season I will be tailing SDHornEsq over at Covers. I'll copy the plays over here but they will strictly be tails of his plays.

Be sure to check out his Covers thread and profile.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width="98%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>Weekly Affirmation </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>
384926.jpg

</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top>
By Matt Zemek
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Dec 10, 2006

Next week, the season-finale of this column tackles the bowls. This week, though, let's try something different, because "different" is needed in an industry--this could apply to both football journalism and college football itself--where cookie-cutter styles and thoughts are all too prevalent.
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>

By Matthew Zemek

After any game, fan bases of the two competing teams will likely have an issue with something a columnist says. I haven't had many, if any, columns or "Instant Analysis" pieces in which both fan bases wrote back in equal numbers and with similarly praiseworthy things to say. Ninety-nine percent of the time, a story or column gets good feedback from one fan base, while the other one responds with either silence or vitriolic rage.

As I look back on the 2006 season before turning my attention to the bowls, I want to address you, the readers who are so supportive and loyal to CFN. Yes, I wrote something of a "love letter" to all of you back in the middle of October, but in the heat of battle, such outpourings can either get glossed over or, worse, tainted by the fires of football frustrations. When the fresh pain of defeat lingers into that Monday when you read the Weekly Affirmation or the Monday Morning Quarterback, I couldn't blame you if those frustrations spilled into my inbox. I sincerely hope that those of you who vehemently aired your disagreements with me gained needed catharsis and relaxation after clicking the "send" button this past season (and in previous years, for that matter).

What's different about this week's column? Well, besides being a direct letter to you, dear readers, it's also an attempt to look at the dressed-down sport of football for what it is on the field, without the economic, ethical, social, cultural, racial, educational, and journalistic factors attached to the larger college football industry. This week's column is about the game and how to analyze it effectively, because everyone in the industry benefits when every human being--coach, fan, player, writer--can analyze the sport better.

The inspiration for this column was the Oklahoma-Oregon game from September 16, a game that--all controversy aside--forced any football fan to make some tough decisions as an analyst. Randall in Tulsa, Steve in Calgary, Frank in Florida, Jeff in Houston, Christy in Ohio, Andy in Atlanta, and all my other regular readers had to look at the amazing events of that afternoon in Eugene and decide, for themselves, how to analyze that profoundly puzzling pigskin passion play. So many competing tensions and realities filled the Sooner-Duck donnybrook that any analyst would have had a difficult time finding the right tone, tenor and pitch for a game analysis piece... on immediate deadline or even a few days later. And since every person's view of good football--and hence, good football analysis--is, like everything else in life, colored and shaped by personal experiences, every analytical perspective on the Oklahoma-Oregon game was going to be somewhat different in certain key respects. The challenging part of football analysis is that the facts of a situation extend beyond the ability of any one person to put them all together. Difficult analytical case studies in the world of college football are too layered for one person to line up all the facts on his or her side. The business of football analysis is much more art than science, because one must invariably pick and choose the particular facts that are more inherently central to the outcome in the eye of the beholder.

Astute readers will see what I'm getting at in this final season review of 2006. I want to leave all of you with something of value; more specifically, I want all of us--as football fans (and this includes myself)--to be better analysts, so that as the sport marches onward in the year 2013, we will be able to conduct football debates and discussions on a higher, more elevated level. If we all care enough about football to gather here, write (and read) columns, exchange hundreds of e-mails, and vigorously debate various issues, we all owe it to ourselves and each other to improve at what we're doing... just like the coaches and players who step between the white lines on Autumnal Saturdays. Each football season is precious, eagerly anticipated, and sorely missed when the tumult and the shouting subside. But that doesn't mean every season has to be the same. We don't have to have the same debates every year (though the BCS makes that very hard by always forcing the debate toward emotionalism and petty politics instead of allowing for debates to be settled on the field). We don't have to engage in the same circular arguments. We don't have to remain locked in the same defensive postures as communicators and correspondents. Football and journalism both become irritatingly stale and outrageously predictable when conversations always acquire the same shape with the same paramaters and contexts. True, there are some things about football analysis and fan-reader interactions that will never change, but there's plenty of room for improvement even while the nature of the beast remains fundamentally entrenched.

Dear readers, I'll put it to you simply: now that the season has passed, and since there aren't any games to review from the past weekend, you might be in a good emotional space to listen to me when I say that my analysis is not and has never been represented as fact. Can we get that straight?

There are many stock responses I get from readers, but the worst one is the charge of "failing to do your homework" for airing nothing more than a set of statements that a person strongly disagrees with. The whole point of referencing the Oklahoma-Oregon game was to show that the facts of a game are more numerous than any one viewpoint can contain. One could have chosen several different analytical approaches from that contest, and all would have been factual. Disagreements between Sooner and Duck fans centered around the weight, centrality or relevance of given sets of facts. The best argument from an Oklahoma perspective was that if the Sooners had been granted the ball after the onside kick, they would have won. The best argument from an Oregon perspective was that the Sooners still had multiple chances to win the game after the onside kick, but didn't come through. And in between those two overarching arguments, there were more nuanced and detailed assertions that could have supported middle-ground positions in the OU-UO debate.

One should be able to see--and acknowledge--the obvious: it's patently silly to think that an editorialist or news analyst--a person in the business of giving commentary or opinion--is failing to do one's job solely on the basis of his/her view on a topic or event. It's equivalent to saying that a political or ideological opponent hasn't "done his homework" on hot-button issues such as abortion or the death penalty: there are facts to suit almost any viewpoint, so the heart of the matter is not about doing the homework. It's about making careful, weighted judgments and establishing priorities. THIS is what the Oklahoma-Oregon game should teach us as football fans who are serious about our analysis, and therefore, it's the lesson the Sooner-Duck game can give to the nationwide college football community as it prepares for the bowls and the 2007 season.

Back in August, I issued the "Weekly Affirmation Instant Analysis Challenge," in which I offered you, dear readers, the chance to write "Instant Analysis" pieces on deadline--just as I do each Saturday during the season--with the possibility of having them published on Mondays in this column. Only two people took me up on the offer... even though thousands of folks have, over the years, told me that various Instant Analysis pieces haven't been worth a warm bucket of spit. (The problem might have been that CFN's transition to Scout.com, executed in late August, prevented many readers from finding the piece in which I gave readers this rare opportunity.) So with bowl season ahead of us, I come back with another offer: if you want to, pick one of the big bowl games--any of the January 1 games (they're all good), any BCS game, or the Holiday Bowl--and write an analytical piece. I don't know if I'll publish your offerings, but I would like to see fans making concrete attempts at taking the facts of a game, choosing the relevant ones, and making a strong argument for their game assessment in light of those facts. It would be a worthwhile exercise, and I could promise--at the very least--to read and respond to each submission.

If you're not inclined to write a piece--or if time doesn't allow--you can still do something important as you watch the bowls or reflect on the season just past: form your own priority system for making various football judgments. It is the most central thing a fan of this sport can do if s/he wants to improve as a football analyst.

Journalists such as myself will often be accused by fans of "letting a good story get in the way of the facts," or of arriving at a neat, tidy and convenient conclusion before a game ends. From what I read on Scout.com message boards during each season (yes, I'm always checking in at the sites where my pieces might be discussed...), journalists are seen as soulless drivers of controversy who want to stir the pot more than they want to get facts right. Well, there's no secret that writers like good, juicy stories, but just the same, no writer worth his (or her) keep will write about a controversy if: A) there isn't one; or B) there's no good reason for one to exist. Most writers will explore the "C-word" only if they see sufficient reason to do so. Again, doing homework--while, of course, necessary--isn't as central to the discussion as you might initially think. The big key in this and other football issues is the priority system of the analyst, the interior intellectual architecture in which judgments and analytical tacks are formed.

If you felt Oklahoma was robbed at Oregon, you felt (as I did) that an onside kick is the most important and weighty play in football outside of a game-ending play. If an onside kick stood at the top of your priority system on the matter of "important plays in a football game whose outcomes heavily influence the outcome," it would have been particularly important that the officials missed the call on the onside kick. If, on the other hand, "the ability to handle adversity" and "avoiding a prevent defense" were two very important priorities for you as a football analyst in your evaluation of teams that hold leads late in football games, you would have punished the Sooners for not making some basic plays late in the Oregon game. If you had always possessed an analytical inclination to look down on teams that squandered late advantages and allowed negative momentum to overwhelm them, it would have been entirely--and rightly--consistent to craft an analysis that, in tone and trajectory, lined up with the Oregon perspective in the game. Being right or wrong does apply to pregame statements and predictions, but not so much to postgame assessments. In the analytical world, one can simply take a large set of facts, choose the ones that are important to his/her intellectual framework, and write a piece in which the ultimate argument is supported by those relevant facts. That's all an analyst can ever do. There's no right answer, and analysts will not represent their pieces as factual compilations. They will only attempt to explain why their facts carry weight in ways that other available facts don't. It's not a battle between the realms of the factual and the non-factual; it's a battle between different points of emphasis and competing methods of interpretation--that's all.

So, CFN readers, what I want from you in the offseason requires some depth of thought--if you know anything about me, you know that I require depth of thought from my audience. (That you read my columns is a testament to the depth of thought you already bring to the table.) Formulate--if you haven't already--your priority systems for football analysis. Think about the statistics, trends and realities that matter most to you in a football game: Offense or defense? Potency or ball control? Running or passing? Blocking or skill position strength? Technical precision or emotional passion? Motivation level or pad level? Basic execution or play-calling creativity? First downs gained or third downs converted? Total yards, or total points? Time of possession, or points off turnovers? Onside kicks, or responses to onside kicks? The first 57 minutes of play, or the endgame phase? A quarterback's pocket presence, or his improvisational ability? A coaching staff's plan A out of the locker room in the first quarter, or a coaching staff's plan C out of the locker room at halftime? A team's ability to amass a big lead, or a team's ability to mount a big comeback? A massive breakdown that still ends in a close-shave victory, or a massive comeback that still ends in a narrow loss? These and countless other choices between different statistics, qualities and game narratives aren't quickly made or arrived at. You have to have a priority system in place that, through considered study and reflection, generally elevates some items above others in your own analytical pecking order. You can always make exceptions, and must say so when you do, but by and large, you need to have some kind of framework in place. This way, you can lay out your argument, root it in several key facts, and leave it at that. Another analyst will produce different arguments based on different facts with different points of emphasis, and leave the discussion table as well. Two analysts will disagree, but they'll both be factually-oriented while not needing to accuse the other of being divorced from facts or "not doing their homework." Such is the direction football analysis must acquire in future years.

Instead of jumping through the same old hoops and mouthing the same tired arguments, we can choose to do better... and learn from each other. That's not controversial, is it? Plenty of good journalists and game analysts will stir the pot only if they feel such an approach is warranted. On most occasions, football writers are just trying to paint an accurate picture of a game based on years of observations that are connected to their own experiences. A guy who's been watching SEC football since the early Bear Bryant days will have a different view from the new writer who's been watching Pac-10 football since 1990. At the end of the day, homework is overrated; points of emphasis and sets of analytical priorities are underrated. It's a personal, internal hierarchy that one needs in order to make sense of games as complex as Oklahoma-Oregon from 2006, or Texas Tech-Nebraska from 2005. My hope for all of you--and for the whole college football community--is that 2007 will bring a year of greatly elevated football analysis, based on personal growth in connection with the game on the field. Thinking about the game in an interior way will produce better exterior conversations when Labor Day weekend comes around in a little more than eight months.

As you begin your bowl season (or offseason) assignment and work to become a better football analyst, I leave you with the transcripts of two astute college football analysts, Gary Danielson and Kirk Herbstreit, from BCS-centered conversations they had on Detroit radio station WXYT last week. As you read the transcripts--and study them the way coaches would break down game film--notice how both men have mapped-out intellectual frameworks, and that while their opinions clash, they both cite a number of facts and realities to bolster their lines of argumentation. It is particularly interesting--and instructive--to note that both men agree with the view that Florida had the better schedule than Michigan. The difference is that Danielson thinks the resume should decide the issue, while Herbstreit feels that film study and a team-wide, season-long breakdown demand more weight.

Every single college football fan has a view on this kind of "debate-within-the-debate," but the larger point is that you can't label either broadcaster--both giants in the profession--as objectively right or wrong. I, for one, realize that the BCS exists to select the two best teams, which is more in harmony with Herbstreit's views. At the same time, though, I disagree with the aims and methods of the BCS system, which tries to quantify that which is unquantifiable. In this respect, I side with Danielson. Herbstreit is 1,000 percent correct when he says that Michigan would have been voted No. 2 had it played Ohio State on December 2 and not Nov. 18. Danielson, though, is just as correct when he says that one can't definitively know who the second-best team in the country is. (You need the empirical evidence of a game and/or a wider differentiation in overall won-lost record.) I think Gary Danielson is the best football analyst on the planet right now, and I generally sided with him in this larger Florida-Michigan debate. With that said, though, Herbstreit--who, to his great and everlasting credit, had the journalistic integrity to change his mind based on empirical evidence that was presented to him (in Columbus on Nov. 18)--has been unfairly savaged this season, shredded with a degree of intensity that, while perhaps not shocking in this polarized world of college football, is certainly disappointing. In future years, these transcripts you're about to read will hopefully become positive turning points in our ability to conduct rich, layered college football discussions worthy of adults. One certainly does not hope that these transcripts, in 2009 or 2013, will be viewed in one-sided or overly emotional ways.

Time for your version of "film study," CFN readers. Analyze these texts over the next several months... and check back with the Weekly Affirmation for next week's bowl overview.

Gary Danielson...

...On his campaigning for Florida: "I figure I have two more months to go to catch up with ABC and ESPN. They've been [campaigning for] the Big Ten since September."

...On the controversy over Michigan losing out to Florida: "That Michigan - Ohio State game in 1969. It wouldn't have been fair for Michigan to have to play them again, would it?

"Understand that winning it on the field is all that matters. There were only two teams all year that did not have to please voters - Michigan and Ohio State. They were ranked one and two for the last six weeks of the year – I don't know why, really. They were anointed one and two, they were undefeated and they deserved their rankings. I don't know how anyone knows they are the two best teams.

"I watch a lot of tape. I assume you guys watch a lot of tape. I'll bet you do. But I don't know who the best two teams are, and I'm sure no one else does. So I don't know how the Michigan argument goes that we are the only team capable of coming within three points of Ohio State. I don't know how you can justify that argument. I know you can't. You're telling the rest of college football we're the only team capable of coming within three points of Ohio State.

"My argument was that anyone was more deserving than Michigan. I would have voted Oklahoma over Michigan. Oklahoma got robbed. They basically lost one game, okay? I would have voted Louisville, anyone other than Michigan, because there was only one team in college football that had the opportunity to play their way into that game against Ohio State without having to please one voter. Not one voter. Michigan had a shot. They're obviously a very good football team.

"I think it's small minded to think that the two best teams just happen to play in the Big Ten this year. It reminded me of the Big Ten Conference in the 70s, where Michigan and Ohio State played every year with the two best records go out to the Rose Bowl then found the rest of the country isn't quite as easy as the rest of the Big Ten.

"Michigan and Ohio State didn't mind having the Sports Reporters [stumping for them]. ESPN and ABC had that clock running for over a month [for the OSU – Michigan game] while the rest of the country fumed about that. But the first time somebody says something about somebody else, oh, my, the whining starts. My drum was banging for college football. Now we finally got to a game here because of circumstances where everybody had to stand up and say, 'you mean there's another team besides Michigan Ohio State, Notre Dame and USC out there?' I think it's laughable, totally laughable that people think they know who the best two teams are. I know football pretty good, and I think I know how to watch film pretty well. If I don't know who the best two teams are, I don't see how anybody else can do it."

...On other factors that went into his thinking: "I look at it that the rest of the country really didn't give anybody else a chance except Michigan and Ohio State for a while. Then once they looked at USC, ESPN and ABC jumped on a new bandwagon. Bob Davie was on the front page of USA TODAY saying, "I watched college football all year, and I know the two best teams are Michigan and Ohio State. Then that horse gets a little tired and they go to USC and watch and go, 'you know? Now that I look at it, I think USC is the second best team in the country.' Then when USC loses they go, 'what do we do now?' And I think the rest of the country is out there saying, 'who anointed Michigan, Ohio State, USC and Notre Dame to run all of college football?'

"My stance has been consistent on this. I've been through this three times. I did the Colorado – Nebraska game, and you applauded me when I said the second place team should not play for the national championship. I did the Oklahoma – Kansas State, and you applauded me. Now all of a sudden when I make the same stance, do Michigan fans whine."

...On Florida's case: "The SEC had five teams in the top 20. Florida played the other four. Now what kind of system do you have when the best conference in the country doesn't have according to the polls for their team to play for the national championship? Or put it this way – an equal opportunity to play in the national championship game. This whole thing about No. 3 and No. 4 – I don't think anybody cared who No. 3 and No. 4 were until USC lost. Once that happened, I think people stood up and said, 'all right, what should I do?'

"As a broadcaster of this game, I banged on the table at halftime and said, 'we are not going to talk about Florida's national championship case until at least the fourth quarter.' But I did prepare in case this happen, and I put plusses and minues on both sides, said how am I going to make my argument? That's my job. My argument was to kind of compare the best thing to the worst thing for each team. I left a blank ballot up there for a whole series. I said, 'you make your own ballot out there.' I'm getting paid very well to give my opinion. My opinion was laid out the way I saw it. Now, if I convinced people, maybe I'm a good communicator."

... On whether his opinion is influenced by his employer [CBS]: "So is everybody else's, but that's not true. When I was working at ABC and ESPN I got called to the carpet because I was doing the national championship game and said I didn't believe a second place team should do it ... they had their chance. This is the same argument. I'm the ONLY one who has remained consistent. My old partner, Brent Musberger, anointed Michigan the second best team, then in the middle of the ND - USC game said, you know, I've always said a second place team shouldn't play for the championship, then doubled back and said, "I was off.' I don't know where other people stand, but I have been.

"If Michigan had beaten Ohio State, I would be making the same argument that it's not fair that one team only has to keep it close, the other team has to knock you out. Bo was against this thing, that's why Kirk Herbstreit was against a rematch before the Michigan – Ohio State game."

... On carrying on too long on behalf of the Gators: "It wasn't Florida, even. I don't even know how good of a team they are. They're a gamer. They remind me a little of that Ohio State team that won the national championship that everybody thought would lose every game, and somehow they found a way to win at the end. Nobody thought they could beat Miami, and they seemed to find ways to win.

"My argument was, and continues to be, that you can't anoint teams. No one knows who the best team is. The Sports Reporters don't know, Mitch Albom doesn't know, Kirk Herbstreit doesn't know, Bob Davie doesn't know, and I don't know, and Michigan fans don't know. You have to go then to a resume. Now you are telling people that because Michigan beat Notre Dame, who I think is an emperor with no clothes, and they played Ohio State close, they deserve the national championship.

"Now I look at the schedules and say, now wait a minute ... there are other teams out there that have a resume. Why aren't they being considered? I think college football deserves to have something more than they get. I have railed, and as I said, they should pass rules that don't allow a second place team to go. That's not fair. So what do you do? But it is interesting that a whole year goes by, and can you name me any player besides a quarterback who plays for an SEC team?

"It's out of mind's eye. If you look at what dominates college football, it's ESPN/ABC. That publicity machine has rolled and rolled and rolled and has tilted the playing field in my opinion. So now one time somebody has an opinion that's different people say, 'wow.' You want to know what it's like in the Big 12, Pac-Ten and SEC? That's what it's like, every week from September to Nov. 25.

... On the last time he talked to Lloyd Carr: "During the Michigan - Ohio State game a year ago. I respect Lloyd Carr. People can play out this stuff the way they want to. He's an excellent coach. I was one of his defenders. I'm a Jim Herrmann defender. I didn't think their defense was all that different this year, they just had better players than a year ago. They had a dominant defensive line and Lloyd always does a good job with his football team.

"Coaches can play out their campaign the way they want to. I think Jim Tressel was absolutely right on in the strategy he did. For him to have to try to determine the national ... I think to excuse yourself was absolutely right on. I think Urban Meyer played it the way he wanted to because nobody was talking about the SEC and he said okay, look at my team. We are a pretty good football team, too. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and I think for Coach Carr to attack somebody over what somebody else says is wrong. I respect Coach Carr, but I don't think he should jockey both horses."

... On whether Meyer dragged Michigan into the conversation: "He could say anything he wanted to say. Here's my opinion after watching the Michigan - Ohio State game. If the same game was played with Louisville and West Virginia uniforms, everybody would have said there's no defense on the field. That 's number one. No. 2 is there were two outstanding teams with one great player. Same as last year's game. Ohio State has the best player on the field and when the best player is the quarterback, they have a great chance of winning. It's going to be very difficult to beat OSU because they have the best player in college football."

Kirk Herbstreit...

...On Danielson's lobbying for Florida during the SEC title game, which many feel helped get the Gators a bid to the national title game: "I've got to be honest ... I have so much respect for Gary and Verne [Lundquist]. When I saw watching that game that they put that graphic up, the only thing I could think of was that the coordinating producer would force them to do something like that to kind of destroy any credibility they'd all built over the years, just obviously by standing up and talking about an SEC school. I thought it was more behind the scenes than it would be with Verne and Gary."

... On Danielson's allegations that ESPN/ABC lobby for the Big Ten: "As far as what ESPN and ABC does, the one thing I could just tell you - and Gary should know this - I've never in my life at ESPN had anybody say, 'hey, can you do me a favor? I'm not really worried about your credibility, I want you to just go out and say this because it helps the network.' I can't even imagine somebody actually doing that, and how I'd respond if they did. I've never been approached by anybody saying, 'hey Kirk, we need you to defend Michigan, because they're with ABC.'

"Don't forget, Florida ... ESPN has a lot of SEC games. To even think about that ... whatever I see, I talk about. So I thought Gary would do the same thing. I'm just assuming to give Gary the benefit of the doubt based on his work over the years that that was something he had to buy into. I'm surprised to hear him say the ESPN/ABC guys do that to Michigan. I've never been in a meeting when anybody's ever said we need to so this because we represent that school, so let's take one for the team.

"I'm going to stick my head in the sand. I go on shows in the South, and they tell me a lot of the same things – 'what do you have against the SEC?' That's the one thing about this sport ... Gary is focused on one conference. With GameDay, we focus on every conference, every school and every team. You're kind of used to people over the years saying these kinds of things. There's always going to be somebody with their feelings hurt or upset. This year it's Florida fans and Michigan fans, and of course Florida got the last laugh because they're in. But I don't look at it as the nation wanted to send ESPN and ABC a message, and that's why they picked Florida. What happened is the nation didn't want a rematch. It had nothing to do with ESPN, ABC, Kirk Herbstreit, Gary Danielson, any idiots on the outside. It had everything to do with the matchup they wanted. They did not want to see Round 2, plain and simple.

"If USC beat UCLA by 30 points, which they should have done ... where would Michigan have been ranked in the BCS standings? Third. That tells you that if it was just based on the teams, Michigan is clearly the team that is the better team. The masses understand that. But once SC was knocked out, it gave the voters a chance to say we've already seen Michigan, we don't want to see it again. By golly, look at Florida, they went through the toughest conference, they're 12-1, they deserve it. That's what it was. It wasn't based on doing the right thing. It was based on Michigan had their chance – we don't want to see a rematch, so they're going to put Florida in there."

...On his opinion that Michigan was more deserving: "To me, you look at teams on paper, and it's clearly an advantage for Florida. There's no doubt. If you're going to look at how many bowl teams they beat, how many top [ranked teams].

"Here's the problem I had; I get paid to actually watch college football, from noon to 2 a.m. I watch every game there is, and I do that for 15 straight weeks. I'm in a position where I can make an opinion on more than, well right here on paper, it says Florida beat six top 25 teams ... I don't care. I don't care. I've watched Florida every week. Congratulations, 12-1 ... that's amazing. But am I going to penalize Michigan because the Big Ten is awful this year? Absolutely not. I don't care that they beat ND and ND is terrible. I don't care that they beat Wisconsin and we don't know how good Wisconsin is. I saw them play against every team this year.

"People can say look how they played against Ball State and look how they played against Northwestern. They were bored. The difference between that and Florida ... Florida was actually trying when they played and didn't execute against Georgia and Vanderbilt, and didn't execute against Kentucky and other teams they played. Their offense has been struggling all year, so the way I finally decided to evaluate it was to say, 'if you put this teams on a neutral field, who would win?' To me, Michigan would win that game.

"The last thing is, if Michigan had played Ohio State Saturday the way they played them two weeks ago, you tell me what the masses would have thought. It was out of sight, out of mind. Michigan was a forgotten team. The performance they put on that night was forgotten, and people saw Florida saw two weeks, and at the end of the day, that's what affected them. If Michigan would have played the No. 1 team in the country when Florida was playing Arkansas, I promise you Michigan would have gotten that next chance."

... On Danielson's comment about "whining": "Who's whining? Maybe there are some things going on I'm unaware of about the whining. I don't know any whining ABC or ESPN is doing."

... On Danielson's comment that Herbstreit didn't want to see a rematch prior to the Michigan – Ohio State game: "He's right. I went into that game thinking I don't want to see a rematch. Whoever wins the game, done. But when I watched that game, I wanted to see another quarter, another four quarters. That was the only way in my mind, no matter who won that game. You can imagine if Ohio State lost 42-39 and I were to say there needs to be a rematch.

"Guys, I'm allowed to change my opinion, reevaluate based on things I see. I thought West Virginia before they lost to South Florida, they deserved serious consideration. You reevaluate based on watching games. The backlash from Michigan is no different than any other year I get backlash from Michigan. If Michigan people are upset with me, they are upset with me. If they are happy with me, they are happy with me. If Florida people ... how do you think the conversation went when I just bumped into Urban Meyer a half hour ago? He was actually great. He hugged me. I had a blue and yellow tie on and he said, 'Oh, I see you've got your Florida Gator tie on,' and he kind of laughed. The guy was a GA when I was at Ohio State, so I know him really well. I said don't take it personal – I'm just telling you what I think. He said, 'I know that's you. That's your job. That's what you do.'

"I'm not going to stoop to that level and say I don't respect Gary, because no matter what he might say or feel about me, he and Todd Blackledge are the two guys I've always admired and looked up to, will continued to do so, maybe one day I'll get a chance to tell Gary what I felt. I may change my mind based on what I see in bowl games. My hope is, as a fan of Ohio State and Michigan and other teams – I'm a fan of Florida, too - I'd love to see Michigan play well in the Rose Bowl and Ohio State play well in the championship game, see what happens."

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width="98%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>Monday Morning Quarterback </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>
384928.jpg

By Matt Zemek
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Dec 10, 2006

In the final regular-season edition of this column, we review the year in play calling and strategy through a few particularly representative examples, both positive and negative.

By Matthew Zemek

The best play caller in all of college football in 2006 was Arkansas offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn, and it wasn't even close. What's amazing--or perhaps not very amazing at all--is that Malzahn took the college football world by storm in his first season. It's worth asking, college football coaches of America: did Gus Malzahn succeed because he wasn't tainted or hardened by several years of college ball? Did the sage of Springdale High maximize Darren McFadden's considerable talents because he was unafraid to think outside the (tackle) box and try something bold? With the confidence and aggressiveness of a younger Steve Spurrier at Florida, Malzahn imposed his system on SEC defenses that were clearly behind the curve... so much so that the Hogs won ten games and a division flag with precious little quality quarterbacking. Malzahn was able to absorb the deficiencies of Mitch Mustain and Casey Dick and still put a productive offense on the field. That's a more than remarkable achievement worthy of the highest forms of praise. There was more play-calling creativity in this season's SEC Championship Game than in ten years' worth of SEC games in the pre-Spurrier era (a reality brought about not just by Malzahn, but by the equally creative and ballsy Urban Meyer, who does some tremendous things on special teams). Football--like any other sport (or industry, or profession... call it what you want)--is an ever-evolving organism, and it's people like Gus Malzahn who accelerate the sport's development with fresh thinking and strategic courage that are all too rare in the coaching business. One hopes that Malzahn's methods and motives will catch on in other programs.

Another major development in the coaching world this season came from the aforementioned Urban Meyer, who used two quarterbacks in a way that generally worked. Florida's offense wasn't powerfully prolific or awesomely overwhelming, but the Gators won twelve games against a daunting schedule to capture the SEC and a spot opposite Ohio State in the BCS National Championship Game. Not bad for the coach who has mastered the art of the second-year surge at a program.

While it's undeniably true that Dan Mullen, Meyer's offensive coordinator, made humongous strides from a wobbly first year in Gainesville, it's also true that Mullen still has a ways to go in terms of sticking with basic plays when they stand to succeed. In the Gators' 17-16 squeaker over South Carolina on Nov. 11, Mullen had a receiving corps that had established clear superiority in man-to-man matchups. Yet, those same receivers didn't dominate the game because Mullen didn't get them the ball often enough. Too many times, Mullen had Chris Leak run the option when a simple dropback pass would have sufficed. On many occasions, Mullen out-thought himself... even in a season when he improved considerably and worked a lot better with Leak, his star quarterback.

With that said, though, Mullen and Meyer both deserve credit for thinking boldly in ways only Gus Malzahn could (perhaps) appreciate. Even though Florida never fully "put it all together" on offense in 2006 (with the Gators' awesome defense, merely being good enough on offense was in fact good enough for Florida to win ballgames), one must commend Meyer and Mullen for what they're trying to do with an offense. It's a vision that is supremely aggressive, but which hasn't been able to get off the ground just yet. (Just think of how dominant the Gators will be if they can click on offense in future seasons.)

The whole point of the Chris Leak-Tim Tebow rotation system was to create certain tendencies, only to then break them, while also having the added benefit of being able to coach the other quarterback when on the sideline. By giving Leak and Tebow specific packages and assignments, Meyer and Mullen gave defenses two sets of expectations early in games whenever Leak or Tebow would step onto the field. Later in games, Meyer and Mullen could break tendencies with these quarterbacks. When Leak would unexpectedly run or Tebow would unexpectedly pass (Tebow's jump-pass against LSU was a trend-busting, horizon-expanding goal-line play call from the 2006 season), defenses would suddenly become uncertain... at least, that was the goal for the Florida braintrust. On a few occasions, this approach did enough to produce crucial touchdowns in Gator victories. Yes, it never consistently gelled for sixty whole minutes on any single Saturday, but it managed to score enough points to get the job done. Coming one year after a disastrous season for Florida's offense--in which Leak looked downright lost at times--this was a considerable achievement for Meyer and Mullen.

Going beyond this one season, though, here is the larger significance of Meyer's plan, implemented on game days by Mullen: while prevailing conventional wisdom has long held that a quarterback shuffle is a bad thing, it's this columnist's belief that the future of offensive play calling lies in these planned QB rotations. It was none other than that great trail blazer, Steve Spurrier, who first introduced this idea to the college football consciousness nine years ago.

With strong-armed but weak-minded sophomore quarterback Doug Johnson struggling at the end of a trying season, Spurrier rotated Johnson with senior signal caller Noah Brindise against a powerful Florida State team that entered the Swamp as a considerable favorite intent on reaching the Bowl Alliance championship game against Nebraska. By being able to coach Johnson on the sideline when Brindise was on the field, and by giving a steady senior some of the game reps while reducing the workload of the shaky sophomore, Spurrier found more continuity and productivity on offense than he ever could have hoped for. A brutal month of bad offense from mid-October to mid-November suddenly ceased to matter, as Florida's new-look offense came up with big plays throughout the course of a 32-point effort that knocked the Seminoles out of the title tilt. That game, back in 1997, offered solid and convincing proof that college football--being played by very young and emotionally fragile men--can be played by rules that are different from the NFL, where teams need one great leader to shepherd them through the fire. In NCAA ball, the limited attention spans and frail psyches of quarterbacks (not to mention any other players on a team) are conducive to fewer reps and more detailed coaching. Planned in-game quarterback rotations lead to better coaching and an accordingly enhanced ability of quarterbacks to execute specific plays in specific situations.

Teams that could have profited from play-to-play (or perhaps, series-to-series) quarterback rotations in 2006 are as follows: Oregon, Clemson, Miami, Florida State, Arkansas (without Darren McFadden in the Wildcat formation), Texas (in the A&M game alone, not for the full season), Penn State, Iowa, Georgia, Vanderbilt, Army, Connecticut, N.C. State, North Carolina, Virginia Tech, Arizona, Arizona State (whoops--no Sam Keller to rotate in for Rudy Carpenter!), Washington (after Isaiah Stanback went down with an injury), Colorado, and Alabama. And these are just the teams from BCS conferences. Those who have more extensively chronicled non-BCS schools would be in a better position to assess the quarterback situations of those Division I-A offenses. The frequent rotation of quarterbacks is an idea whose time has come, nine years after one of the sport's sharpest minds genuinely introduced the concept to the nation.

The next part of this season-ending MMQ concerns a strategy you hear about all the time from play-calling connnoisseurs... but is rarely if ever implemented by a generally timid, play-not-to-lose fraternity of football coaches: the hurry-up offense. My goodness, folks: aren't athletes bigger, stronger and faster than they used to be? Aren't strength, fitness and conditioning programs more scientifically advanced and systematically developed than in decades past? Hasn't sports nutrition grown by leaps and bounds in the past 20 years? Then dadgummit, big-time football players should be fit enough to perform a hurry-up offense with regularity. Rotate a few bodies if you have to, and go to a no-huddle offense (not hurrying, but simply never huddling) if your defense is your team's strong suit, but you should get the idea: a hurry-up offense prevents defensive coordinators from getting good matchups or being able to dictate with situational alignments. The quarterback gets to think on his feet and develop a rhythm, attacking the defense instead of reacting to chess moves by a middle linebacker or safety. A defense will fall back on its heels if it can't force incompletions early in a drive, as the simplicity of "snap, run, throw, catch, hurry"--cyclically repeated by a competent passing offense--will likely turn a tough defense into a soft outfit.

And if coaches or coordinators worry about sustaining a furious pace throughout an entire game, hey: there's no law or rule requiring the hurry-up to be used throughout a game. If the purpose of possessing the football is to score points, the hurry-up provides a great opportunity for an offense that might be undersized, banged up, or insufficiently physical. Just imagine this game scenario: an underdog springs the hurry-up on an unsuspecting opponent on the first drive to get an all-important touchdown lead. The hurry-up might not be used on every series, but it is implemented occasionally and with great effect, scoring touchdowns each time it's used. An offense that gets stuffed at a normal tempo and flow is able to thrive on this particular game day because of its effectiveness within the hurry-up concept. A team with deficient talent and depth could use the hurry-up offense to win games it would have no business winning otherwise.

Here's a very important thing for coaches to consider: the overlooked benefit of the hurry-up offense is that it takes the mental game out of the equation for an underdog team. While the hurry-up is clearly valuable because of its ability to constrain defensive coordinators and their substitution patterns, the hidden benefit of a hurry-up is that its intense, rhythmic flow prevents a quarterback and an entire offensive unit from having to think too much. In this way, the hurry-up is a built-in psychological defense mechanism. The psyches of college players are extremely delicate--see Dennis Dixon of Oregon, Will Proctor of Clemson, and kicker Chris Hetland of Florida as prime examples from this 2006 season (see Reggie Ball of Georgia Tech for an entire career of mentally frail football). When the weight of a situation is allowed to linger on the shoulders of a mentally wounded player, that player--being a flesh and blood human being--will feel the weight and have a long period of struggle before being able to slay that psychological demon... if at all. For this reason, anything a coach can do to make football more purely reactive or instinctive--and freed from deep contemplation--will go a long way toward breaking the spell, especially for a quarterback. The hurry-up offense is this tool; it creates a totally different frame of reference in which the quarterback operates. It reminds the quarterback of playground football, a fun and mentally reassuring experience for any football player. More importantly, it takes the complexity out of the game by simplifying the packages, routes and responsibilities for everyone involved in the offense while also reducing the defense's ability to mix things up. Many of the things that can paralyze a struggling quarterback are taken out of the equation by a hurry-up offense.

Coaches know that the mental side of the game is central to good performance and results. The key for coaches is clearly not about finding talent; it's about maximizing that talent--see what Jim Tressel did with Troy Smith over the course of a career in Columbus. With this in mind, then, the lasting value of the hurry-up offense--beyond the limitations it places on defensive coordinators--is that it puts quarterbacks in a position where they can employ simple concepts and slide into that hypnotic trance where mechanics and muscle memory can override mental blocks and other demons faced when a game is played at its normal tempo... and defensive coordinators' schemes can get inside the head of a quarterback who's worried about what will happen next.

The final part of this season-ending MMQ for 2006 comes from two strategic moves--both failures--that should be noted by coaches across the country. If America's coaches didn't have a firm grasp of two strategic principles before this season started, they should now.

The first move was Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer's decision to stubbornly continue chasing a touchdown when trailing by 11 points in the final minutes against Georgia Tech. As Seattle Seahawk coach Mike Holmgren had to painfully learn in Super Bowl XL, you can't score 11 points with one touchdown. Endgame football is not a phase of this sport in which you have the advantages or the leverage to do what you would like. You have to respect endgame football, and you do that by extending the game as long as possible, always increasing--or maintaining--an available set of options. With this in mind, then, you must score quickly if you trail by two scores late in a game, with one of those scores being a field goal (this is the 9-11 point range). If you score that touchdown and get a two-point conversion to reduce the margin to three points, it still won't matter if you have just 20 seconds left on the clock. Coaches in this position have to have the discipline needed to kick the field goal with at least 35-40 seconds left if they can't get a quick-strike touchdown. To be fair to coaches who value getting the touchdown first in an 11-point game--given that they want to take care of the two-point conversion first and see if they need to get a touchdown on their second possession--one could say this: if you're going to chase that first touchdown, make sure, then, that your quarterback throws for the end zone once you're in comfortable field goal range. If you penetrate the 20-yard line with, say, 50 seconds left in a game you trail by 11 points, the quarterback would need to throw the next three passes into the end zone, especially if his team still had at least one timeout left. That one timeout--given the small amount of time left in the game--would have to be preserved for the second possession, so any throw short of the end zone and not out of bounds would prove to be nothing less than catastrophic for that team's chances of mounting a comeback... even with a successful onside kick. One hopes that coaches will take note of this situation when they encounter it in the bowl games or, even more importantly, in the 2007 season.

The second move was California head coach Jeff Tedford's decision to kick a 20-yard field goal on 4th and goal from the Arizona 3, with the Bears trailing Arizona by seven points with roughly ten minutes to go in regulation. Coaches should be made aware of (if they haven't been already) what shall be called the "seven-point rule." This principle of football strategy is simple: seven points is the one point spread in which coaches need to go for touchdowns more than field goals if a one-score game is not in its final, dying moments. For the sake of clarity, let's define "the final, dying moments" of a game as its last five minutes.

When a team trails by six points, the value of a field goal is substantial, for obvious reasons. This is even more the case if the spread is five or four points. Kicking a field goal outside of the last five minutes therefore has substantial strategic value. On the other side of the seven-point divide, an eight-point spread--and remember, we're talking about one-score games here, not two-score games (in which a field goal becomes a no-brainer if down by 9 to 11 points)--can also cry out for a field goal. Kicking the field goal when down by eight might not be emotionally satisfying, but it achieves a huge strategic goal of rendering a two-point conversion irrelevant. Eliminating the need for a low-percentage play under pressure--and in a situation where one can only tie the game, not win it--is a major step forward in an attempt to gain a come-from-behind win. Any game management strategies that can take a two-point try out of the equation should be pursued vigorously. This makes the field goal, when down by eight, a good move.

But while six- or eight-point spreads lend themselves to a chip-shot field goal--for different but equally compelling reasons--there is no reason to kick the chip-shot field goal when down by seven. The field goal doesn't trim the lead down to three points the way it does in a six-point game, and it doesn't affect the two-point play the way it does in an eight-point game. All a coach is left with after a field goal in a seven-point game is the same reality he had before: touchdown or bust. Now, of course, if Tedford and Cal had received a quick turnover from Arizona, and were in position to kick another field goal when down by four points with roughly eight minutes left, they would have taken the three points and then been in position to win the game with a final field goal. But, of course, that turnover didn't come, and Arizona made a fourth-down stand in the final minutes to preserve a four-point lead. By any reasonable standard, Tedford made the wrong choice. Coaches need to account for the seven-point rule and make it an iron-clad part of their fourth-quarter thought patterns.

There are other things one could choose to talk about after a full season of college football, but the above topics represent the major points of discussion from the past three months of games. In the end, one hopes that college football coaches will continuously try to break free of the mindset that affects their NFL brethren. If college coaches stop playing not to lose and start playing to win, you'll see the above changes made... along with many other innovations that will introduce more and more fresh thinking to a sport that can always use it.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width="98%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>5 Thoughts - Quinn is 2006's Best Player ?! </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>
384920.jpg

By Staff
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Dec 11, 2006

Notre Dame's Brady Quinn won the Maxwell and Unitas awards, so he's the best player in America, right? Why Adrian Peterson should sit out the Fiesta Bowl, the bungling of the coverage of the Bama coaching search, the Randy Shannon hiring, and more in the latest Five Thoughts.

Maxwell and Unitas Awards ... Thanks for playing.

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]By Pete Fiutak [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]
[/SIZE][/FONT]1. This is not an anti-Brady Quinn or Notre Dame hating rant. This is a why-the-awards-are-occasionally-a-fat-load-of-bull-muffins beef.

The Unitas Award is supposed to go to the best senior quarterback in America, while the Maxwell Award is supposed to go to the college football player of the year.

Each award has now been rendered irrelevant and meaningless after Quinn won them both.

Why was Smith the winner of the Heisman Trophy by one of the largest margins ever? Why did Quinn fall to third in the Heisman race behind Darren McFadden and Smith? It's because Smith was, unquestionably, 2006's signature college football player. Quinn will be the first pick in the NFL draft, but that has absolutely nothing to do with college football awards.

If you want to argue that McFadden was the best player in the nation, you'd be wrong, but I'd listen. If you want to say Hawaii's Colt Brennan was the nation's best quarterback because of his numbers, you could at least make a case. But for Quinn to win not just the player of the year, but the best senior quarterback honor is wrong and embarrassing.

The numbers were certainly nice, and Quinn was brilliant in comebacks against Michigan State and UCLA, but in Notre Dame's two big games of the year against Michigan and USC, Quinn didn't lead his team to wins, and wasn't even close. Smith finished the season fourth in the nation in passing efficiency while Quinn was 14th.

Come on voters, be smarter, and better than that.

How much does Oklahoma care about its players?

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]By Pete Fiutak [/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]. Here's a chance for Bob Stoops and the Oklahoma coaching staff to show that they care about their players and their futures above anything else.

Tell Adrian Peterson thank you, enjoy the view from the sideline, and start getting ready for the NFL combine.

How much would future recruits respect Stoops and truly believe he has their best interests at heart?

I understand how players work their tails off while dreaming of playing in bowl games. I understand how desperately Peterson wants to help out the team he's been a cheerleader for ever since breaking his collarbone against Iowa State. But Oklahoma isn't playing in the national championship, or even the Big 12 title game, which would then be more than understandable for Peterson to come back to play in. The Fiesta Bowl against Boise State is nothing more than a glorified exhibition game
, and certainly isn't worth jeopardizing this great kid's future.

What if he blows out a knee like Willis McGahee in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl? What if he breaks his leg like Michael Bush in the season opener against Kentucky? We're talking about a top ten pick in next year's draft, and possibly number two behind Brady Quinn, and he's going to risk it against Boise freakin' State?! Don't believe the garbage that some NFL scouts want to see Peterson play once more. Peterson is a multi-millionaire next year at this time.

Reggie Bush signed for $51 million for six years with $26.2 million guaranteed. Will Stoops or the Oklahoma coaches and fans repay the lost revenue if Peterson gets hurt and slides down the first round, like McGahee? Yeah, right.

It's Peterson's place to say he wants to play and nothing can keep him off the field. It's up to the adults to do what's best for him and his family.

Looking inward might not be looking forward

By Richard Cirminiello

I know I'm supposed to hail Miami's hiring of Randy Shannon as some shrewd move or cosmic shift in the future fortunes of the Cane program because that's what everyone's been telling me to think since the coach was promoted from defensive coordinator a couple of days ago. That's what I'm supposed to think, but that's just not what's going through my mind right now. Miami, suffering through a historical low point on and off the field, desperately needed to whack a home run with Larry Coker's successor, but instead hit a bloop single after getting snubbed by a who's who of coaches because of a lack of funds, a lack of interest or both. Rule No. 1 in tabbing a head coach. Hiring from within is only a good idea if the program is currently hitting a high note. If it's hemorrhaging, you've got to get a fresh start with fresh ideas by looking outside the family. Now, that's not to suggest that Shannon was part of the problem. Au contraire. He's well-liked and a gifted recruiter and defensive coordinator, who's earned his shot to be a head coach, but didn't Miami just go down this same familial road with a guy...what his name? Larry Coker.

At a time when the program had to make a splash with its next head coach, it gingerly dipped its toe into the shallow end of the water. It got cheap and conservative, landing a coordinator with no head coaching experience and, more important, a man who's too familiar with the warts and current players in Coral Gables. What Miami needed was an outsider, a strong disciplinarian with zero allegiance to any current member of the program—an every-job-is-up-for-grabs type character. When it was announced that Shannon was the guy, Cane players openly applauded the decision, mugging it up with the new boss and finding it hard to contain their enthusiasm. Call me old-fashioned, but isn't it a potentially ominous sign when players are that excited about the hiring of a new head coach? Shouldn't there be some trepidation about the new sheriff in town? Only time will tell if Miami traded up with the promotion of Shannon to head coach. For now, I'll remain very skeptical about the direction of this program, despite all the propaganda that's presently being jammed down my throat.

Covering the Tide

By
[FONT=verdana, arial,
sans serif][SIZE=-1]Matthew Zemek[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]If you ever had any doubts about the quality of college football journalism, especially when compared to the "hard-news" realms of politics, breaking news, and foreign policy, your skepticism was justified the past two weeks.
While the media consistently butchers stories of far greater social and global significance (Katrina, the Sago Mine tragedy, Iraq, and on and on), it's worth pointing out that the coverage of the Alabama coaching situation has been one of the sorriest two-week spectacles in the history of college football reportage. The amount of ink spilled--and technical equipment used--to document utterly false stories about Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban and (now) Rich Rodriguez is a profound waste of resources... and a profound insult to the intelligence of the masses, in both Tuscaloosa and Morgantown.
Nationally and in the state of Alabama, news outlets have made one erroneous report after another, filling broadcasts, column inches, cyberspace, and newsprint with rumors upon rumors but precious few facts. The lessons that need to be learned by military reporters and political correspondents are the same lessons that need to be learned by a great many Alabama journalists and college football insiders: get the story right, and forget about trying to get the story first. Fueling fires and fanning flames are not the jobs of journalists; getting the facts is the one essential task for the beat reporters who are following ongoing stories as they emerge on the ground.
It's long past time for journalists to stop covering these coaching situations so obsessively. Let events happen, and then document the process when it's over. If you want to nail down a story before it's confirmed, get a direct comment from all relevant parties; if you can't, don't run the story, for cryin' out loud.
When one considers just how bad journalism is these days, it's not a surprise when fans label "the media" with a very broad brush. It's very true that when journalism suffers, each of its individual practitioners suffer as a result.
How to turn around your career

[SIZE=-1]By [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]John Harris[/SIZE]
5. His name was Tommy. He was the best football player I ever played with or against. He locked down receivers, ran like a deer and could do just about anything on a football field. He was the type of player that played on Sundays, he was that good. I thought that, but everyone thought that. After a strong first year at junior college, Oklahoma was all over him, but then it was over. For whatever reason. Maybe a multitude of reasons. He never made it to Norman or anywhere else.

You know someone just like Tommy. Star of the neighborhood. Stud in high school. You’re thinking of that guy right now. Invariably, you shake your head because The Man let ‘circumstances’ take him down, no matter what they were. There might not be anything worse in sports than an athlete letting it all go down the drain.
That was Troy Smith. It wasn’t going down the drain – it was already there. When he was younger as his mother struggled being a youthful maternal figure. When he left school after a blatant elbow in a high school basketball game got him kicked off the team. If you knew Troy at that time, how many could see it spiraling down the drain? Then, he earns a scholly to Ohio State – he’s made it, right? You tell me – he takes $500 from a booster, making him ineligible for the Alamo Bowl a month after a sublime performance against Michigan in 2004, rendering him persona non grata alongside The 2002 star recruit, some guy named Maurice. He was just another Man, just like Clarett, headed for the ‘Another Talent Wasted’ pile.
But, the Great Ones eventually get it. Smith got it and looked what happened. No matter what happens in Glendale, he’s a legend in Ohio State lore. Move over Spielman. Step aside Eddie. Here comes Troy. He got it. He absorbed his past and was honest about his transgressions, vowing to never let any of it happen again, turning his life around in the process. Smith became the Man whose story will be told to every talented wayward youth in America. “You can be just like Troy if you…”. That’s the best part of the Troy Smith story and one he’ll never perhaps be able to fully comprehend. He taught a nation of followers and young players that you’re the only person who can derail yourself. As much as he tried, he kept his train on the track. You can, too.

<!--end STORY DISPLAY--><!--GOOGLE TEST DISPLAY--><SCRIPT language=javascript src="http://fimserve.scout.com/?placement=fim_scout_story-page-college-cfn2"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-fim_scout_js&dt=1165815180218&oe=utf8&lmt=1165814013&skip=4&num_ads=2&output=js&channel=fim_scout_story-page-college-cfn&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcfn.scout.com%2F2%2F599659.html&ad_type=text&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fcfn.scout.com%2F&cc=99&u_h=768&u_w=1280&u_ah=734&u_aw=1280&u_cd=32&u_tz=-480&u_his=19&u_java=true"></SCRIPT>

Clemson TE Hunter out of bowl after breaking foot

<!-- end pagetitle --><!-- begin bylinebox -->Associated Press

<!-- begin presby2 -->
<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<!-- begin text11 div --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->CLEMSON, S.C. -- Clemson tight end Thomas Hunter broke his foot in practice Sunday and will not play in the Music City Bowl against Kentucky.
"This is very disappointing because Thomas was a big part of our offense," Clemson head coach Tommy Bowden said. "He has had a very productive year and a very productive career."

Hunter, a senior, had 16 catches for 305 yard this season for a team-best 19.1 yards per reception. For his career, he had 29 receptions for 425 yards.

The Tigers (8-4) play the Wildcats (7-5) on Dec. 29.

Morning Coffee
Posted on Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 09:23:59 AM EST
</I>

hornbullet.gif
The Sporting News tabbed Colt McCoy as its national freshman of the year, joining offensive tackle Adam Ulatoski in the TSN First Team Freshman All-America team. Speaking of McCoy, why are we still getting injury updates from Brad McCoy, father of the young man? I'm still nervous as all get up about this injury situation, but the closer we get to the game, the more sure I am that Mack's going to put Colt out there. Scary.

hornbullet.gif
The recruiting sites are buzzing with fear that John Brantley may be wavering on his commitment. Frankly, this Brantley paranoia is probably here to stay until signing day. The recruiting honchos say Florida is making a hard push for Brantley, but until Brantley comes out and says something, this is all just standard teeth gnashing. Again, we're not going to get worked up over it. If Brantley comes, we're thrilled. Really thrilled. If not? We'll be just fine sorting through Colt, John Chiles, and Sherrod Harris.

hornbullet.gif
Adrian Peterson is going to play in the Fiesta Bowl. My first thought was that he was doing something sort of admirable - wanting to play one more time in the crimson and cream. I wonder, though, whether AP thinks his draft stock - which has been dinged by his injury - could get a boost from him playing in this game. I haven't any idea, but it's an interesting decision.
hornbullet.gif
Poor, poor Rutgers: It was bad enough that the Scarlet Knights got relegated to the Texas Bowl to play Kansas State, but the ultimate indignity is that no one in New Jersey may see the game. That's because none of the major cable providers in the New Jersey carry the NFL Network, which has exclusive broadcasting rights to the game.

McCoy update

By Suzanne Halliburton | Monday, December 11, 2006, 07:06 PM

Texas begins bowl workouts this week, but the Longhorns still are unsure of who will start at quarterback.

Longhorns coach Mack Brown has said he’s optimistic Colt McCoy will be ready to play by Dec. 30. Brad McCoy, Colt’s father, said Monday he still believes his son will play, too.

“He tells me he’s feeling good,” Brad McCoy said. “I feel like he probably will play. We haven’t talked about it much. So no news is good news.”

The Longhorns are still taking a wait-and-see approach about McCoy, who suffered pinched nerves in his neck/shoulder area in consecutive losses against Kansas State and Texas A&M. Nerve injuries have their own healing time table. As a general rule, Brown won’t play someone who hasn’t practiced by Wednesday of game week.

The Longhorns will practice in Austin til the 21st, then break until Christmas.

If McCoy can’t play, look for walk-on Matt McCoy to start, now that backup quarterback Jevan Snead has quit the team to transfer. Brown will be looking for an emergency quarterback, possibly either wide receiver Quan Cosby or Billy Pittman.

BYU is thin at CB due to injuries and suspensions:

Let's get up to speed.....
By Mitch Section: Quick Links
Posted on Wed Dec 13, 2006 at 08:28:08 PM EST

</I>

Have been busy lately, so the posting has been light. Here is an update on news & notes from the program since we've been gone.

2516.gif
Cornerback Tico Pringle was suspended yesterday for violating team rules.

2516.gif
Cole Miyahira is being switched from Safety to Cornerback for the bowl game, and is the projected starter. Ben Criddle and Kayle Buchanon are still questionable for the game. I would expect that they don't play in the bowl.

Projected depth chart at Cornerback for LV Bowl
Starters:
Justin Robinson (recovering from shoulder injury)
Cole Miyahira
Reserves:
Brandon Howard (r-Fr.)
Nate Hutchinson (Fr.)
Andre Saulsberry (Jr.) Will this guy ever play?

Pointsettia Bowl
TCU -11 ($300)

First play of the bowl season. I originaly set the line as TCU -13, and guess where the line first came out? Right. Right on the number. Now that the line has moved down enough, TCU is solid. NIU has a horrible pass defense and relies upon Garrett Wolfe to set up the entire offense. If Wolfe does not get off, neither does the passing game. On the other hand, NIU's defense and especially pass defense is subpar.

TCU is one of the hottest teams in the nation right now. Hopefully the lay off since their last game won't kill them. Based upon each team's performances the last 3 games, I'm looking at a 2-3 TD victory for TCU.

Favorites of a TD or DD are hard bets. However, in this case, I think it is warranted and TCU is the right side.

Las Vegas Bowl
Leans: Over 61 and BYU -3 or lower

Was leaning towards BYU at -3 or lower, but recent news of the tremendous losses and depth chart (see above) have me concerned about BYU's defense. Oregon's defense is not looking that good either. On the other hand, BYU has a great offense and has been particularly good in covering the spread. Oregon's offense has struggled recently but should be up to play in this game. Also, even though BYU has a better record, Oregon has superior talent and plays in a tougher conference. Makes the side much more of a toss-up.

New Orleans Bowl
Lean: Rice -8

Not much of a reason behind this. Made the line -9 so I find a little value. Add to that C-USA is superior to the Sun Belt and a Rice team that feels they are a team of destiny and the side looks better.

Monday, Dec 18 Reporters from thewizardofodds.blogspot.com

Reporters' Notebooks

Gil LeBreton, Fort Worth Star-Telegram: Beaches, mountains, gorgeous weather. It might be San Diego, but for Texas Christian it's bowl purgatory disguised as paradise.

Brian Gomez, Colorado Springs Gazette: Houston Texans offensive coordinator Troy Calhoun will interview Monday for the coaching vacancy at Air Force. Also expressing interest: Gary Barnett, the former Colorado and Northwestern coach.

Tom Luicci, Newark Star-Ledger: Kansas State beats Rutgers when it comes to junior college recruits. The Wildcats have 23 on their roster and the Scarlet Knights only two.

Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Penn State quarterback Anthony Morelli doesn't care for his high school coach. He hasn't spoken with him since his final prep game.

Doug Lesmerises, Cleveland Plain Dealer: Here is the proper way to judge a recruiting class. Let's look at Jim Tressel's haul in 2002 for Ohio State.

Chadd Cripe, Idaho Statesman: The athletic budgets of bowl combatants Boise State and Oklahoma. Boise State: $17 million. Oklahoma: $64.3 million.

Neill Woelk, Boulder Daily Camera: Here's hoping Arizona State gets exactly what it deserves for hiring Dennis Erickson (registration).

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width="98%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>Defensive Tackle Suspended

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>
386653.jpg

Ed Johnson
By FOS Staff

Posted Dec 18, 2006

As Penn State prepares for their New Year's Day clash with Tennessee in the Outback Bowl, the team was dealt a defensive blow with the recent suspension of a starting defensive tackle.
Starting defensive tackle Ed Johnson is not currently with the Penn State football team as it prepares for the Outback Bowl against Tennessee. According to a source close to the program, Johnson has been suspended for violating an unspecified team rule.

It is expected that Johnson will not travel with Penn State to Tampa, Florida for the bowl game, scheduled on January 1. Since he is a fifth year senior, this would mark the end of his PSU career.

Candidates expected to be veying for the open position include, Steve Roach, Chris Baker and true freshman Phillip Taylor.
Previously, Johnson missed the entire 2005 season due to an unspecified violation of university rules.

Tuesday 12/19 Reporters from thewizardofodds.blogspot.com

Reporters' Notebooks

Scott Cacciola and Tom Bailey Jr., Commercial Appeal: Good and bad news for Mississippi. Former Texas quarterback Jevan Snead is transferring to Oxford, but a Rebel recruit is facing charges that include intent to sell or distribute the drug Ecstasy.

Norm Wood, Daily Press: Virginia Tech quarterback Ike Whitaker is entering treatment "for alcohol-related issues" and will miss the team's trip to the Chick-Fil-A Bowl.

Steve Conroy, Boston Herald: Who is Jeff Jagodzinski? The Green Bay Packer offensive coordinator will be named Boston College's coach on Tuesday.

Mark Anderson, Las Vegas Review Journal: Oregon says its win over Oklahoma was diminished because of the stir created by two controversial officiating decisions.

John Moredich, Tucson Citizen: Arizona quarterback Willie Tuitama, who suffered three concussions this season, has been cleared to play in 2007, but Wildcat junior running back Chis Henry plans to turn pro.

Iliana Limon, Albuquerque Tribune: New Mexico coach Rocky Long is trying to minimize the fallout from a recruit being shot outside an Albuquerque strip club during an official visit.

Brian Murphy, Idaho Statesman: Idaho athletic director Rob Spear, who lost his prized hire in Dennis Erickson, might need another miracle to keep his job.

Stanford Coach Update---

It will be announced later today that D-1AA University of San Diego's head coach, Jim Harbaugh, will be named the head coach of the Stanford Cardinal.

Harbaugh was in discussions with Iowa State, North Texas, and Tulane prior to being announced the coach of Stanford.

Harbaugh has had tremendous success with USD over the last 3 years.

rjurewitz said:
No, but he'll have them prepared for WMU like a conf opponent.

These coaching rumors and switches are interesting little folds for capping these games.

Personally, I prefer the "interesting little folds" like your avatar is bound to have a little further down from those lovely breasts. :smiley_acbe:

Let's hit TCU tonight . . . . . . .

Let's do it, Slim...

Morning Coffee
Posted on Tue Dec 19, 2006 at 09:35:49 AM EST

</I>

hornbullet.gif
Let's start with the football team, where, with less than two weeks until bowl time, the coaches are starting to talk to the media. Yesterday, we got Duane Akina, who may or may not be auditioning for the full time DC gig. Today Greg Davis answers a few questions, commenting on the lackluster running game, Matt McCoy, and Iowa as being better than their record indicates. On the last point, I tend to agree. This is a solid football team, and makes for a pretty interesting bowl matchup.

hornbullet.gif
Nike is positioning itself to maintain exclusive rights to Ohio State jersey and merchandise sales, a move other schools - including Texas - are considering. The University of Georgia already has signed such a deal. Something to keep an eye on, especially if your business includes UT merchandising.

hornbullet.gif
Don't forget: bowl season starts today (Poinsettia Bowl), which means you can place your first wager in the Black Shoe Diaries betting game. Mike's set up a really cool format; I urge you to participate. Should be a lot of fun.
hornbullet.gif
SMQ is back doing what he does best, bringing back the "Stat Relevance Watch." Analysis hungry readers are strongly urged to dive in.

Las Vegas Bowl

BYU -3 (-105) ($150)

1 unit play for me on this one as I can't get a feel about what is going on. Usually the Pac-10 team wins SU, no matter how bad. And bad is what Oregon has been lately.

Yet they showed some fire at the joint pep rally on Fremont Street yesterday when an Oregon player jumped a barricade and went to attack the entiry BYU team after he took offense that BYU was doing a Maori tribal dance (which is their tradition--they have their own Samoans).

BYU is the right side, and I usually don't make 1 unit plays, but I see this game more as a coin flip.

May add more on BYU later when I get to Vegas this afternoon. We'll see.

More great news for the Longhorns:

Ross taken to hospital
By Suzanne Halliburton | Thursday, December 21, 2006, 01:46 PM

Texas All-American cornerback Aaron Ross was taken to a local hospital this morning after an apparent wreck as he was on his way to practice.

Pflugerville police were called to Casa Garcia restaurant for an alleged robbery attempt. However, when they got there, they discovered Ross, who was disoriented. He was transported to St. David's hospital by EMS.

Pflugerville Police Captai Jim McLean said that after officers checked Ross, they determined that there was no robbery attempt. His car was parked to the side of the restaurant, and showed some scratches, indicating Ross may have driven off the road.

McLean said Ross was very cooperative, but had problems answering the officers' questions. EMS was then called. McLean said there was no evidence to suggest Ross was intoxicated.

Texas spokesman John Bianco said Ross did miss practice. Texas' workouts started at 9 a.m. The team broke afterwards for a three-day holiday.

They report to San Antonio for the Alamo Bowl, Christmas afternoon. Police arrived at 9:10 a.m. An EMS spokesman said an ambulance was sent to the restaurant at 9:30.

De ja vu all over again:

Colt McCoy cleared to play in Alamo Bowl
[FONT=verdana, arial][/FONT]

<!--*IMAGE ONLY--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle>
mccoy_colt_102806_300.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
pixel.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=caption style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 10px; COLOR: #333333; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" align=middle width=300>Colt McCoy</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--*END-->[FONT=verdana, arial]12/21/2006 - <!--*BODY-->AUSTIN, Texas -- Longhorn freshman quarterback Colt McCoy, who sustained a severe pinched nerve in his neck in the season finale versus Texas A&M, has been cleared to play in the Alamo Bowl, UT's Athletic Trainer for football Kenny Boyd said on Thursday.

"We have been evaluating Colt on a regular basis for the past several weeks, and he's made great progress," Boyd said. "He went through a thorough and complete evaluation that involved everyone on our staff and a series of tests to insure his recovery was complete. Colt passed all of the functional and diagnostic tests to return to the field, and his performance and recovery in practices confirmed that he is back at full strength. We're all comfortable that he's physically ready to play."

Tabbed the Longhorns' co-Most Valuable Player as a redshirt freshman, McCoy also was named a semifinalist for the 2006 Davey O'Brien Award (nation's top QB), was voted the National Freshman of the Year by The Sporting News and was tabbed the consensus Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year.

"I feel like everything is back to normal and I am 100 percent," McCoy said. "I worked closely with our trainers and doctors to get healthy. It took a lot of patience because they didn't want to rush anything and wanted to be sure to let the injury heal. I worked really hard doing everything they asked and made steady progress every day. It all paid off because I could feel the strength in my arm coming back. Now, I'm excited and ready to go."

In his first year as a starter, McCoy completed 191-of-278 passes (68.7%) for 2,262 yards (No. 3 on UT's freshman list) and 27 TDs (second-most on NCAA single-season freshman list/No. 1 on UT's single-season list/No. 6 on the UT career list), while throwing just seven interceptions. McCoy tallied 2,429 yards of total offense (No. 1 on UT's freshman single-season list).

"Colt has looked better and better everyday in practice," Mack Brown said. "We've all seen what he can do when he's healthy, and we're really excited to have him back at 100 percent. I'm looking forward to seeing him back in action next week as we prepare in San Antonio, and in the Alamo Bowl against Iowa."

[/FONT]

Today's Additions:

Rice -4 (-115)

Rice has QB questions and with their starting QB playing (he has been cleared) the line should be a TD plus. Question will be how much he plays. Backup is an athletic wide receiver which should also cause Troy fits. Bottom line is that Rice is a team of destiny this year and they play in a superior conference to Troy. Laying less than a TD is a gift.

USF -4 (-112)

Agree with everyone on this one that USF is the right side. I have liked USF's D all year and they can also put some points on the board. Like them to win by a TD or so.

How Does Vegas Feel about tOSU v. Florida:

For what it's worth, I was playing poker last night and everyone I talked to (including the dealers). Thinks the Buckeyes will win by DD. Dealers tend to be some of the worst degenerates and bet games to have a rooting interest in something while they are dealing.

Soooo, if that is any indication, line may go up before gametime. If you like Florida, may be good to wait.

RJ - BOL this bowl season and have a great holiday! Always enjoy your threads.

nice pics RJ...have a great holiday bro..I have been in and out for short times today so If I don't talk to you..gl.

Armed Forces Bowl--

Utah -2 (-110) ($150)

I'm pretty sure this is the right side as Utah is surging and Tulsa is fading. As Horn points out, Tulsa also has problems at db and Utah rolls 4 wideouts. But the biggest reason to play this one I think is the CUSA fade which is working out well. Let's hope that CUSA makes it 0-3.

Only playing it for one unit.

If someone can explain to me why I should play it for my usual $300, please do so immediately.

Motor City Bowl: CMU -7 (-120)

My numbers have this as a DD victory for CMU. MTSU is happy to be in a bowl and will play well but don't have the players to hang with CMU.

Only thing going in MTSU's favor is that CMU has an interim head coach. However, that will not be enough. CMU is essentially playing at home and gets the chance to finish one of the best seasons in school history. I don't see a letdown from them in this one in front of the home town fans.

This is Hawaii v. ASU at home, not Rice/Troy. CMU by DD.

Thanks, Aztec. I'm already there. Will be here through Sunday.

Working on today and tomorrow's plays.

Aztec--I'll send you an e-mail.

Still Scratching My Head About Today's Game Before I Go Play Poker.

I like the tease angle and getting 45 points with the tease is nice. I see a game with both teams scoring in the low 20s or even in the teens. Worst case I see a 27-17 type game.

FSU has only failed to cover 10 one time this year (vs. Wake).

Added These For Later

Rutgers -7 (-117)
OU -7 (-107)
Texas Tech -6.5 (-105)

Last edited:
Really like the Rutgers play too. I look at Kst. and wonder how they are going to score against this team. If they get down early, I think they are in big trouble vs. this Rutgers team that will just keep pounding it on the ground. Think Kst. will be good for a couple of TO's as well. GL RJ!

Back