Rexy's Friday CFB...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
First, the Music City Bowl...

This appears to be the bowl game where one team is happy to be here and will likely play harder than the other team, the 10-point favorite who is about four plays away from being a one-loss team. With a month left in the season, Clemson was being considered one of the best teams that probably wasn't going to win a conference title after running over Georgia Tech in a 31-7 win to go to 7-1. The Tigers beat eventual ACC champion Wake Forest, beat Florida State after the Noles handled Miami, and only lost to Boston College in a double overtime thriller.

Then the bottom fell out.

Virginia Tech blasted the Tigers 24-7 in a Thursday rout in Blacksburg, Maryland upset the Tigers 13-12 in Happy Valley and South Carolina did the same in the last week of the season. Now the Tigers limp in at 8-4.
Contrast Clemson with Kentucky, who hasn't been to a bowl since 1999 and appeared to be in a holding pattern until the Rich Brooks era came to an end. But the Cats then won four straight and was within a play of beating Tennessee in Knoxville to end the season with a fifth straight win. Clemson has lost 3 of 4, so the momentum will clearly be with the inspired Cats today.

Now Kentucky is a hot, exciting team with a big-time passing game and a quarterback in Andre Woodson who became good enough to consider leaving early for the NFL. A thrilling offense, and no defense whatsoever, made Wildcat games as fun to watch, in a sort of perverse way at times, as any in the SEC. UK became the team no one wanted to face.

Offensively, Clemson's lightning fast rushing tandem of C.J. Spiller and James Davis should be too much for the Wildcats to handle. Davis tied the single-season record for rushing touchdowns with 17, and Spiller set a single-season record with six touchdown plays of 50 yards or longer.

Kentucky has a decent running game, spearheaded by now-healthy Rafael Little. The UK tailback lives near the Clemson campus and as the Tigers stockpiled running backs, Little's "scholarship offer" came off the table from Tommy Bowden. He should be eager to perform well today. The Tigers allowed only six touchdown passes all season. Wake Forest's Riley Skinner was the only quarterback to throw for more than one touchdown pass against the Tigers all year. Woodson, meanwhile, threw 28 touchdown passes and had eight multiple-touchdown games.

The big Tiger offensive line should wear on the smallish UK defensive front that lacks proven depth. Either Clemson will run well early, or it'll start to hit home runs late by springing Spiller and Davis. Kentucky has the nation's second-worst defense for a reason. However, UK held Tennessee to 96 rushing yards and was the better team throughout despite losing in the end.

The Cats will have a noticeable crowd advantage, as their raucous fan base gobbled up all the allotment of tickets shortly after they became available.

I'm not sold on either side here, as it comes down to Clemson's motivation, as they are the better team. They have the most talented offense in the ACC (not saying too much this season)... They scored an average of 57 points against Louisiana Tech and Temple, the 119th and 117th defenses in I-A football this season. UK ranks 118th.

Prediction: Clemson 44, Kentucky 34
The play: OVER 57 1/2 for a big bet

Good luck! Back with more later...

:drink:

Amen bro.. Good writeup, u obviously follow the 2 teams. Woodson is the real deal.

well abcs, it wasn't all my writeup. Just combined some information I got from some places, haha... but the majority of it is mine and the opinion is 100 percent mine!

Thanks Jump, GL to us...

Nice write up CKR. GL this afternoon bro. I would prefer your score prediction to have 1 more point for UK ;-)

GL on ur action Rex, I like that over as well(HUGE) I believe if Clemson comes to play they can put 50+ up on the Wildcats!!

Thanks fellas. Good start for the CATS...

To the Sun Bowl...

Midway through the season, things weren't looking very good for Oregon State. The Beavers had just suffered a 13-6 loss to Washington State and found themselves at 2-3 overall.

Not only that, but they'd gotten beaten pretty badly by two good, ranked teams in Boise State (42-14) and Cal (41-13) - the kind of teams the Beavers thought they could beat, or at least against whom they'd be competitive.

But things were different from that point. Oregon State finished the regular season having won seven of its final eight games, including a shocker over unbeaten USC that ended the long Trojan regular-season winning streak. Now the Beavers sport a 9-4 record, have a spot in today's Sun Bowl, a (way-too-low) No. 24 national ranking, a third-place finish in the conference and a chance at a 10-win season, which would be the second-highest total ever for the program.

Oregon State also enters this game playing its best football, including a very impressive 35-32 win at Hawaii to finish the season in a game where they got outyarded, but according to our own HawaiiGuy, was thoroughly the better team.

"They've won a lot of close games," Missouri coach Gary Pinkel said of Oregon State. "They are No. 1 in the Pac-10 in turnover margin, their kicking game is exceptional. They are a really good football team.
"They are a physical team. They lead the Pac-10 in sacks and they run the ball well. There's no weaknesses on that team. That's why they had the kind of season they had."

The Beavers are led by quarterback Matt Moore (2,666 yards, 14 TDs, 6 INTs), running back Yvenson Bernard (1,10 yards, 12 TDs) and receiver Sammy Stroughter (1,206 yards, 4 TDs).

Moore's season is as improbable as any one player in America. Last year, Moore led the nation in interceptions. Now, he's leading the nation with the longest streak of passes without an interception. Moore owns a streak of 144 consecutive passes without throwing an interception. He has thrown just six all season.

Part of the turnaround could be as simple as experience with an offense. Moore has never run the same offense more than one year in a row before 2006. He started only as a senior in high school. He played under Bob Toledo for a year at UCLA, then Karl Dorrell for a year. He transferred to OSU and after sitting out a year, took over that offense last year.

Oregon State's secondary gives up plenty over yards, but it stiffens up in crunch time and is great around the goal line. Hawaii had two separate chances to get themselves into position to win, but the Bows got denied deep in Beaver territory.

Mizzou was fighting illness earlier in the week, as no less than 20 players and some of their family members had the sickness. It appears that won't play a big factor today, but the recent hot streak for OSU, coupled with Mizzou losing four of their last six, tells me that the momentum should be clearly in the Beavers' favor. Now back at '3', I'll take my chances.

Prediction: Oregon State 30, Mizzou 20
The play: OSU -3 for a medium bet.

Good luck!

love the thread title sexy!

I am not betting these but will be pulling for you.

Gonna be tough to get this clem/kent game over Rex, both teams kickers suck!! Have left 10 pts on the field, hard to believe at this level these teams have kickers this bad, keep your fingers crossed for scoring explosion in 2nd 1/2.

2nd half Kentucky:

OVER 28 over -120 - small bet

UK plus 9 plus 110 for a medium bet.

No reason why UK can't win this game, though I'm only taking it cause there is value.

Clemson has left a lot of points off the board and has only punted once. But everyone and their mom lined up on CLEM at half, so I'll go with the other side now that the price has been bet to a ridiculous number...

Clemson just simply did not come to play, what a joke they are today, one of thw worst "d's" in the country schooling them like little boys. They should all call their suspended d-back and score some pot from him or maybe they did before the game.

Galt: I made South Carolina a 5.5 fave. I would lean that way. Gun to my head, I woulda tried to lay 4 but that number just never popped up. I'll watch the first half very closely and perhaps get involved at the break...

UK winning didn't shock me after I saw the first half. But Clemson getting 20 points against them did a little. I guess those last 2 games (Tenny and Clem) were more indicative of UK improvement than that debacle against UL Monroe at home.

Oh well.

Sorry for the last-minute post on the two late games.

I took 3 with Purdue once the lines first game out, as I'm sure Fondy, HawaiiGuy or a few others can tell you. No play for the forum because I am not interested in them at PICK. I made Purdue the 3 point fave but they ain't beat a team with a winning record since Akron in the 2005 opener.

See Fondy thread for Texas Tech info. Walters is on Minny and the whole world is on Tech, which is why it didn't go lower than 7.5 or 8. But I promise you, from everything I have seen and heard, they will score about every time.

Prediction: Texas Tech 47, Minnesota 26
The play: Tech -7 for a big bet.
OVER 63 for a small bet.

2 team parlay risk MEDIUM with O 63 and -8

NOTE - Would also recommend Tech for a medium bet all the way up to -9.5

Good luck!

Back