Red McCombs basically went Al Campanis. What a complete racist dumbass

nah

can't do this when me and so many came in and said it before hindsight.......

Texas got caught with pants down.....it just happened to LSU, so i know the situation well

At least O is from LA....

Fair enough.

How about now? are you saying Herman at Texas will work out well but Orgeron at LSU will not??

Twinkie I'd like to hear your foresight on herman's chances at Texas right now. I don't want to hear it in 3 years. It also sounds like you don't believe in Coach O.

I think Herman has a better chance than Strong yes......way better hire and fit

Well herman need only win 17 games the next 3 years to beat charlie but unless he wins at least one big 12 title the next 3 years he'll be considered a bust. We'll see

On Orgeron.....need to see OC hire first

But he wasn't my top choices of that is the question

No question he's not a big time name. If a school passes over you to hire steve Sarkisian like USC did then you're not a big time guy. Every school wants a saban, an urban meyer, harbaugh, jimbo, etc, but only certain schools get those guys. Everyone else vies for the affection of the second tier coaches

No question he's not a big time name. If a school passes over you to hire steve Sarkisian like USC did then you're not a big time guy. Every school wants a saban, an urban meyer, harbaugh, jimbo, etc, but only certain schools get those guys. Everyone else vies for the affection of the second tier coaches
id
like to think we are that team

this was a really odd year.....our AD is the absolute worst

I don't know if you saw in another thread, but the true story I heard was that coach K literally called GW(41) and said can you please make some calls, we gotta get this guy the fuck outta here....called around, and LSU bit

guy sucks dong

Well herman need only win 17 games the next 3 years to beat charlie but unless he wins at least one big 12 title the next 3 years he'll be considered a bust. We'll see
agree
especially given the current state of the league.....

Texas gets better players at the time they enter school but at places like TCU and Oklahoma the players get better over their four year stint and the horns players haven't. oklahoma is better than texas right now because they try harder across the board, The players are dedicated to the program, work out hard, practice hard and play hard every saturday. I get that they live in shitty Norman and the horns have all the distractions of living in a far better city, with a lot more to do but if you take two relatively equal groups of talent, the team that tries harder and is better coached, is gonna be better.

I do think Strong started to change some of the entitled culture that had infiltrated Texas but it isn't enough. You need the black redneck culture of the southern athlete that you get in Norman and not the hoity toity, entitled northeastern white elite culture that resides in Austin currently, if you are gonna win at football.

Testosterone vs estrogen = Horns lose

Hopefully Herman gets the kids to make football #1 priority over weed and weed whores but that ain't gonna be easy

Good Lord, if people such as African-Americans and Hispanics want to be treated equal, then it's OK to critique them without pulling out the race card every time. Just like people critique white people all the time. For the record, I think Strong has a ton of talent, and he will still have a fantastic career somewhere.

If I were to say that my 10-year-old neighbor isn't qualified to babysit my kids, that doesn't mean I hate children.

It is OK for people to have opinions. Opinions about white people, black people, Chinese people and short or tall people. Let's grow some balls.

Good Lord, if people such as African-Americans and Hispanics want to be treated equal, then it's OK to critique them without pulling out the race card every time. Just like people critique white people all the time. For the record, I think Strong has a ton of talent, and he will still have a fantastic career somewhere.

If I were to say that my 10-year-old neighbor isn't qualified to babysit my kids, that doesn't mean I hate children.

It is OK for people to have opinions. Opinions about white people, black people, Chinese people and short or tall people. Let's grow some balls.

Strong's last 2Y at lville: record 23-3. BCS bowl win.

Herman's 2Y at houston: record 22-4. NO BCS bowl win.

McCombs had quite an opinion about the Charlie Strong hire but absolutely nothing negative to say about the Herman hire.

Open your eyes.

Strong's last 2Y at lville: record 23-3. BCS bowl win.

Herman's 2Y at houston: record 22-4. NO BCS bowl win.

McCombs had quite an opinion about the Charlie Strong hire but absolutely nothing negative to say about the Herman hire.

Open your eyes.

I challenge anyone to try and explain this with a straight face. You really cannot. And I don't want to hear "oh, um, McCombs had backlash three years ago about his comments so now he just keeps quiet".

Rich "old boys" don't keep quiet.

How the Herman hire would be okay with him but the Strong hire was not, does not pass the laugh test.

"Texas should just be able to go eeny meeny miny moe"

ROTFLMFAO

Strong came in as 37-15. 2-1 vs ranked teams

Herman 24-4. He did win the Peach Bowl last year, 6-0 vs ranked teams and 5-0 vs P5 teams. 1-0 vs Oklahoma

I challenge anyone to try and explain this with a straight face. You really cannot. And I don't want to hear "oh, um, McCombs had backlash three years ago about his comments so now he just keeps quiet".

Rich "old boys" don't keep quiet.

How the Herman hire would be okay with him but the Strong hire was not, does not pass the laugh test.

"Texas should just be able to go eeny meeny miny moe"

ROTFLMFAO

Really?

Strong came in as 37-15. 2-1 vs ranked teams

Herman 24-4. He did win the Peach Bowl last year, 6-0 vs ranked teams and 5-0 vs P5 teams. 1-0 vs Oklahoma

Charlie inherited a louisville team that went 9-15 the two seasons before he got there and had very little talent recruited by kragthorpe.

Herman inherited a houston team that went 15-10 the two seasons before he got there. And Levine recruited much more talent in that houston area base than kragthorpe did at lville. It was much more of a ready-made situation than charlie had at lville.

as an alum i'm biased, but i don't think the racial divide in austin is as bad as outsiders think.

I'm not in love with the Herman hire, but it was the best we could do and Charlie's failure will probably lower expectations for Herman so he won't have to win a conference title within three years like Charlie was "supposed" to.

I hate our athletic department with our full-time interim AD, the culture there and the amount of control car dealership owners have in what happens, which makes me happy that those assholes are probably paying a bunch of Charlie's buyout, but i don't agree with the popular entitlement theory. We've been getting great classes for a decade and they haven't panned out so to me it's that the players we get aren't good enough or we don't put them in position to be successful. It's also really easy to be negative when the team is bad like it has been.

Charlie didn't understand when to punt, timeout strategy or how to play defense in the Big XII. He was clearly in over his head and I'm glad he's gone. I do expect a warm welcome for his return in 2020 as he deserves it, but he wasn't what we wanted at the time we hired him and this is what we deserved.

I will go on record saying Herman is the best we could do this year and that is far better than what happened when we begrudgingly settled on Strong. I'm not sold that he's a homerun, but i'm cautiously optimistic

as an alum i'm biased, but i don't think the racial divide in austin is as bad as outsiders think.

I'm not in love with the Herman hire, but it was the best we could do and Charlie's failure will probably lower expectations for Herman so he won't have to win a conference title within three years like Charlie was "supposed" to.

I hate our athletic department with our full-time interim AD, the culture there and the amount of control car dealership owners have in what happens, which makes me happy that those assholes are probably paying a bunch of Charlie's buyout, but i don't agree with the popular entitlement theory. We've been getting great classes for a decade and they haven't panned out so to me it's that the players we get aren't good enough or we don't put them in position to be successful. It's also really easy to be negative when the team is bad like it has been.

Charlie didn't understand when to punt, timeout strategy or how to play defense in the Big XII. He was clearly in over his head and I'm glad he's gone. I do expect a warm welcome for his return in 2020 as he deserves it, but he wasn't what we wanted at the time we hired him and this is what we deserved.

I will go on record saying Herman is the best we could do this year and that is far better than what happened when we begrudgingly settled on Strong. I'm not sold that he's a homerun, but i'm cautiously optimistic

Who's saying austin is a racist town? I'm certainly not. I just think red mccombs got caught *almost* revealing his true feelings snd did so in a veiled way.

Anyhow, you better bet your backside that herman needs to win a big 12 title within 3 years or the questions will arise and the seat will get extremely hot. He was brought in to win. This is not the SEC. This is the big 12 where no one plays D so an offensive genius like herman should excel. I happen to think he's a fine coach but might be in over his head at this gig.

when i say austin i mean UT as the two are interchangeable to me

He was brought in to win, yes, but this team has been terrible since 2009 so while expectations are extremely high for a wine-and-cheese crowd, i expect some leeway for him. I also think Charlie would have returned if we reached a bowl and Herman hadn't promised to take the job so there's more there than you'd think

when i say austin i mean UT as the two are interchangeable to me

He was brought in to win, yes, but this team has been terrible since 2009 so while expectations are extremely high for a wine-and-cheese crowd, i expect some leeway for him. I also think Charlie would have returned if we reached a bowl and Herman hadn't promised to take the job so there's more there than you'd think

Again, this is not about UT comments, it's about red mccombs

Back