Red McCombs basically went Al Campanis. What a complete racist dumbass

majent

Oklahoma Sooners
yes, i am pulling out the race card, because unfortunately it still comes up with these good ole' boys far too often.

al campanis said that blacks lacked some of the "necessities" to be baseball managers. it was the last we ever heard from him.

mccombs said the same thing in a slightly veiled message when speaking of charlie strong.

strong could be a position coach and maybe a coordinator? are you fucking kidding me dude?

does mccombs even know how decorated strong was as D coordinator at florida and how successful he was as HC at Louisville?

hard to imagine the statements being made if strong was white not black.

mccombs thinks texas could have gotten whoever they wanted? eenie meenie miney mo? really?

is he not aware that saban said NO, mora said NO, gruden said NO, and jimbo by signing the extension indirectly said NO

wake up and smell the south texas smog you dumb fuck mccombs

as much i cannot stand texas (die-hard sooner fan since '86), i am rooting hard for charlie strong to succeed and make this moron mccombs look even dumber than he already does.

I think Texas could have done a lot better. We'll see how he does. What he did at Louisville didn't really me all that much.

it can be argued that Strong is absolutely as qualified as Mack Brown was when he was hired in late 1997 after success at North Carolina. Sure, Mack inherited a crappy program and had three 10 win years out of ten years there, but he had some down years too and they called for his head. What Strong did as DC at South Carolina, Florida, then has HC at Louisville, is right on par with what Mack did prior to arriving in Austin.

David McWilliams of yesteryear? what did McCombs have to say about that horrific hire in the 80's?

some of you can be in denial all you want but this statement by McCombs is oozing with racial undertones

He can recruit Florida..he should be able to recruit Texas..they get half their commits on Jr. days.

So you saying you are not Black then telling me its its no concern....

Carry on.

But I do agree with your first post btw.

your question is implying that i feel the way i do because i am black, it is a clear underlying assumption on your part, hence the question. i am not black, not one black in my family history going back to the beginning of time.

when i see racism or what appears extremely close to approaching racism, i call it out.

if i called out someone who was publicly opposed to Yag marriage and made a statement mirroring McCombs, would you ask me if i am Yag?

Doesn't surprise me coming from a rich, old, t boone picken like booster in Texas. It's sad.

First off, red is a goddamn moron and this statement was pretty disgusting.

secondly--mora, jimbo, saban, briles, and franklin were never offered a deal from the university. franklin is the only other one who got a formal interview. mora, briles, and saban all had informal conversations with some dumb booster, or in mora's case, he actually talked to patterson, informally.

I think that is bs el...just me tho...coaches sure got a lot of raises because Texas was in play.

First off, red is a goddamn moron and this statement was pretty disgusting.

secondly--mora, jimbo, saban, briles, and franklin were never offered a deal from the university. franklin is the only other one who got a formal interview. mora, briles, and saban all had informal conversations with some dumb booster, or in mora's case, he actually talked to patterson, informally.

mora was approached, briles was approached, they both said no thanks. face the facts. texas was told no or shown disinterest by basically everyone they reached out to directly or indirectly.

i think it is a fantastic job and probably the best job in the country for many reasons that i have stated in other threads, but for some reason the university was not able to get it's top choice if you read the tea leaves.

I think that is bs el...just me tho...coaches sure got a lot of raises because Texas was in play.

exactly. saban gets a new deal, briles gets a new deal, jimbo fisher. all of this is coincidence that all these guys got new deals within days of leaks coming out that texas was interested in them.

lmfao

yep dantonio another one. gruden showed no interest in the job and had he been a HC somewhere he would have gotten a new deal too. probably could have gotten a new deal from ESPN if he pushed for it.

but McCombs is still talking about gruden. wake up old man he does not want to be your coach.

I love how most universities say this was our first choice, no one else was offered. It's everywhere. Only place I can think of where it went planned that way is probably tosu with Urban. I'm just speaking of the majority of BCS teams.

Michigan is a good example, Brady Hoke the first choice..lol.

I love how most universities say this was our first choice, no one else was offered. It's everywhere. Only place I can think of where it went planned that way is probably tosu with Urban. I'm just speaking of the majority of BCS teams.

Michigan is a good example, Brady Hoke the first choice..lol.

True...pure comedy.

yes, i am pulling out the race card, because unfortunately it still comes up with these good ole' boys far too often.

al campanis said that blacks lacked some of the "necessities" to be baseball managers. it was the last we ever heard from him.

mccombs said the same thing in a slightly veiled message when speaking of charlie strong.

strong could be a position coach and maybe a coordinator? are you fucking kidding me dude?

does mccombs even know how decorated strong was as D coordinator at florida and how successful he was as HC at Louisville?

hard to imagine the statements being made if strong was white not black.

mccombs thinks texas could have gotten whoever they wanted? eenie meenie miney mo? really?

is he not aware that saban said NO, mora said NO, gruden said NO, and jimbo by signing the extension indirectly said NO

wake up and smell the south texas smog you dumb fuck mccombs

as much i cannot stand texas (die-hard sooner fan since '86), i am rooting hard for charlie strong to succeed and make this moron mccombs look even dumber than he already does.

Why is that? Please show us some proof as to why you believe this. Not your fucking opinion, but some fuxking proof. Don't give me some excuse about me asking some race baiting newspaper selling writer. He has a job on the line and is pretty much forced to write it whether he believes it or not. You on the other hand have NOTHING monetarily at stake so, please, bring the heat. For all we know this mcCombs guy is royally pissed off his guy didn't get hired and is letting it be known to his faction that he had nothing to with the backing of Strong.

Why is that? Please show us some proof as to why you believe this. Not your fucking opinion, but some fuxking proof. Don't give me some excuse about me asking some race baiting newspaper selling writer. He has a job on the line and is pretty much forced to write it whether he believes it or not. You on the other hand have NOTHING monetarily at stake so, please, bring the heat. For all we know this mcCombs guy is royally pissed off his guy didn't get hired and is letting it be known to his faction that he had nothing to with the backing of Strong.

look back at the 4 hires at texas after the legendary darrell royal and before charlie strong:

Fred Akers: unpopular pick
David McWilliams: unpopular pick
John Mackovic: unpopular pick
Mack Brown: not as unpopular as the prior three but not their first choice.

Red McCombs has been a huge booster through all 4 of those unpopular coaching hires, but go and find a comment from him on any of those hires. i'm not asking for something that approaches the disgusting comments he made about the Strong hire, i am asking for ANY comment from him on these previous hires.

If Texas got Brady Hoke, I'd still say I think Texas could have done a lot better.

If Texas got Rich Rodriguez, I'd still say I think Texas could have done a lot better.

If Texas got Bill O'Brien, I'd still say I think Texas could have done a lot better.

your question is implying that i feel the way i do because i am black, it is a clear underlying assumption on your part, hence the question. i am not black, not one black in my family history going back to the beginning of time.

when i see racism or what appears extremely close to approaching racism, i call it out.

if i called out someone who was publicly opposed to Yag marriage and made a statement mirroring McCombs, would you ask me if i am Yag?

no i would have asked if you were a man or woman.

If Texas got Brady Hoke, I'd still say I think Texas could have done a lot better.

If Texas got Rich Rodriguez, I'd still say I think Texas could have done a lot better.

If Texas got Bill O'Brien, I'd still say I think Texas could have done a lot better.

very debatable on all 3.

Just a hunch that he wouldn't have said any of the 3 you mentioned KK would have made nice position coaches or coordinators. No proof, just a hunch.

I think the race card gets thrown around a bit much but don't be blind here.

I don't think it's a race issue. To be honest strong really want all that great at Louisville. I mean to get this elite job. The Ville had more resources than anyone else in their conference, so they were at a nice advantage.

The position comment was over the top, but this has nothing to do with race. I think he just feels strongs personality is not geared for this position and the Longhorn network etc.

Red McCombs at UT-A

their Business School is named after him
there is a statue of him on campus
he has given over $100M to the school
HE IS A BIG DEAL AT TEXAS

Patterson shut all these big donors out of the hiring process.

From a distance and not knowing the man, call him arrogant. You can't flippantly just call him racist bc he's white and Strong is black. Not that McCombs cares, but bc I care. Others care. Find some proof/evidence of his racist ways and I'll sing kumbaya all day long right beside ya.

Ive only read the ESPN article, where is race even brought up?

Its not like he's the only one that thinks Strong wasn't a good choice. They guy coached at Louisville for 4 years. How will Strong do without Teddy B?

He very may well end up being a great coach, but Texas is one of the top programs in the NCAA and they got a coach that is an unknown instead of someone like Saban where you know he will win.

Red McCombs at UT-A

their Business School is named after him
there is a statue of him on campus
he has given over $100M to the school
HE IS A BIG DEAL AT TEXAS

Patterson shut all these big donors out of the hiring process.

From a distance and not knowing the man, call him arrogant. You can't flippantly just call him racist bc he's white and Strong is black. Not that McCombs cares, but bc I care. Others care. Find some proof/evidence of his racist ways and I'll sing kumbaya all day long right beside ya.

don't be so naive. yes he is 86 years old but appears to have most of his mental faculties in order. you do not think he knew that Strong was at the very least the HC at Louisville who played in the sugar bowl LY and smacked Florida?

for him to say, and i paraphrase: "strong would make a nice position coach or maybe, maybe a coordinator". he said "maybe" twice as though even the coordinator was a stretch.

it was so fucking condescending, so easy to see. he was talking down to charlie. it reminded me of fuzzy zoeller's comments about tiger: "well that little boy he's putting well............"

come on man open your eyes

no one will ever get Red to admit he's pissed off about the hire at least partially because Strong is black - but if you read between the lines of what he said and the condescending tone he said it with, you do not need to be Al Sharpton to see that something is not right here.

Just a hunch that he wouldn't have said any of the 3 you mentioned KK would have made nice position coaches or coordinators. No proof, just a hunch.

I think the race card gets thrown around a bit much but don't be blind here.

i agree, which is why i'm very very careful not to throw it around, especially on a public forum, unless i truly believe in my heart and in my gut that there is smoke and it comes from fire.

this one is really really bad. he may as well have just said what i and many others believe he truly meant when he said what he said, and in the tone he said it in.

So you are essentially assuming that he doesn't like the hire bc Strong is black?

What has Charlie Strong ever done as a head coach to get to the point where anyone that criticizes the hire must be a racist?

Red McCombs is also the same guy that hired John Lucas when there were only 2 black coaches in the NBA.

So you are essentially assuming that he doesn't like the hire bc Strong is black?

What has Charlie Strong ever done as a head coach to get to the point where anyone that criticizes the hire must be a racist?

i think part of it is that he's pissed they did not get Saban or Gruden, and part of it is that Strong is black.

unless he is completely ignorant to college football, how could he say that the HC of Lousville who went 23-3 the past two seasons including two top 15 finishes AND a national TV win over Florida in the 2013 Sugar Bowl, would be a "nice position coach or maybe, maybe a coordinator".

you do not see how fucking condescending that is to a guy who's been a head coach the past 4 years and has beaten Florida and Miami, respectively, in bowl gms the past 2 years?

really?

i think part of it is that he's pissed they did not get Saban or Gruden, and part of it is that Strong is black.

unless he is completely ignorant to college football, how could he say that the HC of Lousville who went 23-3 the past two seasons including two top 15 finishes AND a national TV win over Florida in the 2013 Sugar Bowl, would be a "nice position coach or maybe, maybe a coordinator".

you do not see how fucking condescending that is to a guy who's been a head coach the past 4 years and has beaten Florida and Miami, respectively, in bowl gms the past 2 years?

really?

He coaches in the big east with the projected number 1 QB in the draft next year.

He went 7-6 for two years with the 2nd one being when Teddy took over. Then lost 1 game in each of the past 2 seasons. Record is impressive. But, you still have to consider he's coaching in a lame conference (lost to UCF this past year).

Is beating Miami this year really that impressive?

charlie was a dominant DC at florida and south carolina. him not getting a head coaching job till Lville reeks of somethin. red's pissed that nobody gave a shit about his opinion with this coaching search. the coordinator comment, when talking about a black man, if gonna be read as racist just about every time.

really?

Kyle Whittingham won a Sugar Bowl over Saban, in an undefeated season and he didn't have Teddy Bridgewater. He also has a Fiesta Bowl win. He would be nothing more then a co-ordinator at Texas

don't be so naive. yes he is 86 years old but appears to have most of his mental faculties in order. you do not think he knew that Strong was at the very least the HC at Louisville who played in the sugar bowl LY and smacked Florida?

for him to say, and i paraphrase: "strong would make a nice position coach or maybe, maybe a coordinator". he said "maybe" twice as though even the coordinator was a stretch.

it was so fucking condescending, so easy to see. he was talking down to charlie. it reminded me of fuzzy zoeller's comments about tiger: "well that little boy he's putting well............"

come on man open your eyes

You paraphrased all right. Because you conviently left out that he ended that sentence with at what he believed to be the top three program in college football. You think Strong is truly a top three program in America coach? He's a top 20 coach in America and he may very well be on his way up, but he's not there like a good number of other coaches which have all been discussed.

That being said Patterson has stuck his neck out and placed his reputation on the line and hopefully for Texas he is right. All McCombs did was disagree with it in public. And, yes, he does have all his facilities as you stated which should also lead you to believe he must not be making a racist statement bc it was not off the cuff considering he was invited and went on a radio station to say what he said.

You need to realize that McCombs and his cronies are pissed off they had no say in the coaching decision and those guys were going to let the world know about it. Those guys are as entitled as they come. I'd rank them up there with the big donors who bleed UNC basketball.

I could just as easily start a disingenuous thread about how an Oklahoma fan is "standing up" for Charlie Strong. See what I did there.

really?

Condescending remarks doesn't make you a racist and beating Miami doesn't make you a great coach. People would also argue beating Florida last year in Atlanta wasn't earth shattering either.

Yea not sure why you're getting all worked up over this.

McCombs is 86 and probably not gonna be around much longer. It seems like he has done a lot of great things for charity in Texas. And I believe Dennis Green was the head coach for the Vikings the first few years McComb owned the team.

I don't think it's a race issue. To be honest strong really want all that great at Louisville. I mean to get this elite job. The Ville had more resources than anyone else in their conference, so they were at a nice advantage.

The position comment was over the top, but this has nothing to do with race. I think he just feels strongs personality is not geared for this position and the Longhorn network etc.

I agree with all of this, they weren't going to be happy with anyone short of Vince Lombardi and I don't actually believe McComb dislikes the hire only because Strong is black, it just helped in the enhancement of his testimony.

This isn't directed at the racism talk in here, but is more about Strong as a coach. I don't get why people aren't giving this guy a ton of credit. You can say Louisville had more resources, blah blah, but what about their Bowl game last year. They bitch slapped Florida as a 14+ pt dog. And before you come in here saying it was all Bridgewater, piss off - they held the Gators to 10 points until garbage time. Driskell had a 17 QB rating in that game and no FLA running back topped 50 yards.

If I was a Texas fan, I'd be doing backfilps over their choice. Not sure if Strong would do well in the NFL, but I'd take him over any of the clowns the redskins are parading through Snyder's office this week.

I believe Texas is a top 3 program in the country, if not the top. Because of this, I expect their coaches to be among the top coaches in America. If not top 3, then maybe top 5 and certainly top 10. (Mack Brown wasn't). Saying that, do I believe Strong is a top 10 coach in the country? Not at this point, not with the data I have to this point. That doesn't mean I don't think he's a good coach and it certainly doesn't make me a racist.

If I'm a Texas fan or a booster, I am expecting a Saban, Gruden, Fisher, Malzohn (?), etc. While the hire of Strong and simply the resources they have at the school probably keep Texas competitive, it's not the type of hire that would make me think Texas is going to compete year in and year out with Alabama.

I believe Texas is a top 3 program in the country, if not the top. Because of this, I expect their coaches to be among the top coaches in America. If not top 3, then maybe top 5 and certainly top 10. (Mack Brown wasn't). Saying that, do I believe Strong is a top 10 coach in the country? Not at this point, not with the data I have to this point. That doesn't mean I don't think he's a good coach and it certainly doesn't make me a racist.

If I'm a Texas fan or a booster, I am expecting a Saban, Gruden, Fisher, Malzohn (?), etc. While the hire of Strong and simply the resources they have at the school probably keep Texas competitive, it's not the type of hire that would make me think Texas is going to compete year in and year out with Alabama.

Perfect!

craw beat me to it:cheers:

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but didn't McCombs hire Dennis Green???

Futhermore, if I were a Texas fan - skin color aside - I would be pretty underwhelmed by this hire as well.

after 11 hours or so to digest everything after my initial post, I am going to back off almost entirely (not entirely but almost entirely) from my assertion that McCombs is a racist or that his statement(s) had racial motivation. I confess that I completely forgot about the John Lucas and Denny Green hires, because it was so long ago. I do need to acknowledge them though. Perhaps he had a personal and/or professional relationship with both men that helped make his decision to hire them, respectively. I am not sure.

what I do know is that when i read the statements he made and when i heard the actual sound, it sounded very much, in fact exactly like what a "good ole boy" would say and the tone he would say it in. the condescending way in which he spoke about Strong had all the earmarks of what said "good ole boy" would say and how he would sound when saying it.

if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it is typically a duck. but, there are obviously exceptions. perhaps Mr. McCombs is one of them, and the hires of two black men to coaching positions while McCombs was owner of San Antonio and the Minnesota Vikings, suggests he is the exception, not the rule.

I will not completely buy it yet, but I will say that I will recant about 75-80% of what I said in my initial post and the reactionary feelings i had when i first came to know of this. just because someone has the proverbial black friend, does not mean he is not a racist. and just because someone has a Yag friend, does not mean he is not homophobic. hopefully you get what i'm saying. perhaps he looked at John Lucas and Denny Green differently because it was up close and as i said maybe he knew them professionally and/or personally, and when he saw Charlie Strong he looked at him from afar and immediately judged him. i don't know. as i also said there have been 4 unpopular hires between the tenures of Darrell Royal and the hiring of Strong, and all 4 men were white and I never read anything negative that McCombs had to say about them. i did not follow CFB when 2 of those hires were made, but when searching online i could not find McCombs comments, if they existed, about those hires.

Yep, perfect... Thinking exactly as you are on this.

after 11 hours or so to digest everything after my initial post, I am going to back off almost entirely (not entirely but almost entirely) from my assertion that McCombs is a racist or that his statement(s) had racial motivation. I confess that I completely forgot about the John Lucas and Denny Green hires, because it was so long ago. I do need to acknowledge them though. Perhaps he had a personal and/or professional relationship with both men that helped make his decision to hire them, respectively. I am not sure.

what I do know is that when i read the statements he made and when i heard the actual sound, it sounded very much, in fact exactly like what a "good ole boy" would say and the tone he would say it in. the condescending way in which he spoke about Strong had all the earmarks of what said "good ole boy" would say and how he would sound when saying it.

if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it is typically a duck. but, there are obviously exceptions. perhaps Mr. McCombs is one of them, and the hires of two black men to coaching positions while McCombs was owner of San Antonio and the Minnesota Vikings, suggests he is the exception, not the rule.

I will not completely buy it yet, but I will say that I will recant about 75-80% of what I said in my initial post and the reactionary feelings i had when i first came to know of this. just because someone has the proverbial black friend, does not mean he is not a racist. and just because someone has a Yag friend, does not mean he is not homophobic. hopefully you get what i'm saying. perhaps he looked at John Lucas and Denny Green differently because it was up close and as i said maybe he knew them professionally and/or personally, and when he saw Charlie Strong he looked at him from afar and immediately judged him. i don't know. as i also said there have been 4 unpopular hires between the tenures of Darrell Royal and the hiring of Strong, and all 4 men were white and I never read anything negative that McCombs had to say about them. i did not follow CFB when 2 of those hires were made, but when searching online i could not find McCombs comments, if they existed, about those hires.

Respect :shake:

Back