Recap of Championship Week...Playoff Thoughts/Rants and Heisman...

FYI 3 extra games would need to trim down the regular season too, no way if I'm NFL bound, championship or not, I'm just cool with another game just so the school can get glory, and there will be vital injuries.

What would be great is if stars just decided to sit the whole thing out like Bosa this season and blow the NCAA up

Football ain't basketball

Not buying ANY OF THIS.

One extra game. That is it.

Also, other divisions can play most of December with no problem. Right?

Seasons have increased gradually over time...

Money talks...

The simple solution is for all p5 schools to schedule a Tenn Chatt etc as an exhibition game. There ya go, problem solved.

ND won all their games.

Obviously I know why they're there.

But as someone mentioned there's a sliding scale of best/deserving...

I'm not sure which is weighted more heavily but when I see georgia ranked at 5 it doesn't seem that 'deserving' is the most crucial element here.

What you see with this committee is what I want to avoid in government and culture.
What we tell you is best is the best.
Who we tell you is the best is the best.
With all due respect, the proposed alternatives are equally or more objectionable. Who are you to impose an unnecessary "championship" on a sport that got along fine without one for 100+ years? How presumptuous of some of you to speak of realigning conferences and changing conference schedules to serve the goal of centralizing college football so that all the focus is on some unwanted championship rather than all those lower-level and self-contained championships known as "games".

Yeah, exactly.

Money talks

There was already issues with the current extra game that took years to figure out

Sounds like you're just good with these unpaid, and unlike other divisions, many, many future NFLers involved, playing damn near an NFL schedule against other NFL caliber athletes (again, unlike other divisions)

I'm just sayin', there will be some skipping. Basketball careers last 10+ years regardless of injuries, football not so much

Obviously I know why they're there.

But as someone mentioned there's a sliding scale of best/deserving...

I'm not sure which is weighted more heavily but when I see georgia ranked at 5 it doesn't seem that 'deserving' is the most crucial element here.

Agreed and as VK said that might be to set a precedent.

Georgia is #6.

I could debate UM/Georgia but Georgia won their division. Both lost 2 games, Michigan lost to 3 and 6....Georgia lost to 1 and 11....

UCF, I just don't mention because that is how things are, unfortunately.

With all due respect, the proposed alternatives are equally or more objectionable. Who are you to impose an unnecessary "championship" on a sport that got along fine without one for 100+ years? How presumptuous of some of you to speak of realigning conferences and changing conference schedules to serve the goal of centralizing college football so that all the focus is on some unwanted championship rather than all those lower-level and self-contained championships known as "games".

What does how long they’ve being doing it wrong matter, if they’re doing it wrong? Can we name another sport that isn’t decided in a championship with one team being the champion? The system now is ludicrous, and by definition is using subjectivity to determine a mythical “champion.”

Bring back the Michigan/Nebraska split championship please!

For everyone's sake

Yeah, exactly.

Money talks

There was already issues with the current extra game that took years to figure out

Sounds like you're just good with these unpaid, and unlike other divisions, many, many future NFLers involved, playing damn near an NFL schedule against other NFL caliber athletes (again, unlike other divisions)

I'm just sayin', there will be some skipping. Basketball careers last 10+ years regardless of injuries, football not so much
I am good with it.

If players want to skip the playoffs, that is fine.

These top teams recruit well enough to be deep at most positions.

Go for it.

I am all for it. I am not some 2018 sissy, sorry bud.

Still waiting for that Texas 'Alamo Bowl' line ;)

Agreed and as VK said that might be to set a precedent.

Georgia is #6.

I could debate UM/Georgia but Georgia won their division. Both lost 2 games, Michigan lost to 3 and 6....Georgia lost to 1 and 11....

UCF, I just don't mention because that is how things are, unfortunately.

I thought Georgia was 5 ahead of OSU?

What does how long they’ve being doing it wrong matter, if they’re doing it wrong? Can we name another sport that isn’t decided in a championship with one team being the champion? The system now is ludicrous, and by definition is using subjectivity to determine a mythical “champion.”

To expand on the subjectivity portion of this...the committee says they are picking the 4 best teams at this time. But they aren’t necessarily going by actual results of actual games that were played. It’s all subjective. It’s like figure skating for fuck’s sake.

Problem is that he still thinks he is way smarter than anyone else.

That coaching at the end of the 1H yesterday was simply abysmal.

The end of the 1st half bummed me out, changed everything. There is something amiss with him at times, but no doubt the team is better year over year, ain't easy being UT coach.

But he is weird to me.

Compared to Scott Frost he pales.

Frost ain't weird, he ain't panicking, he is the real deal.

I did, and I told you as much.
But if UGA won, it would be OU in the Sugar and Texas in the Alamo, where else were they gonna go? Fiesta woulda still taken SEC and UCF, I guess you think Michigan and #16 Texas in the Peach? Fiesta would possibly have liked Texas but everything I've been made aware of is they were set on an SEC team and by virtue of last pick, UCF

The end of the 1st half bummed me out, changed everything. There is something amiss with him at times, but no doubt the team is better year over year, ain't easy being UT coach.

But he is weird to me.

Yes, Herman gave OU a touchdown at the end of the 1H. Was inexcusable clock management.

We're happy w/ the way the program is going. Herman's just really hard to like at times and a weirdo at that. But he's our weirdo and if he keeps trending up we'll happily deal with it.

What does how long they’ve being doing it wrong matter, if they’re doing it wrong? Can we name another sport that isn’t decided in a championship with one team being the champion?
Yeah, high school football. High school baseball. High school basketball. High school soccer. Each one has hundreds of champs instead of one. Need I go on? If so, college basketball (two champs, men and women) -- or are there more than two once you consider NAIA etc.? Professional baseball. Professional basketball. Pro soccer. Pro hockey. Lots of pro leagues and champs around the world.

Yeah, high school football. High school baseball. High school basketball. High school soccer. Each one has hundreds of champs instead of one. Need I go on? If so, college basketball (two champs, men and women) -- or are there more than two once you consider NAIA etc.? Professional baseball. Professional basketball. Pro soccer. Pro hockey. Lots of pro leagues and champs around the world.

High school? There are state titles in HS for every sport. At the end, there is ONE champion.

Anything you're mentioning actually has a champion being crowned. There is no difference here, it's just the FBS. There is an FCS champion crowned with a tournament every year, there is no reason the FBS can't do the same.

Yes, there are lots of pro leagues around the world...and they all have a champion. I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, as you're only confirming my point. There are hundreds of champions...sure. But each separate division, league, or state has ONE champion, and they aren't deciding like they decide figure skating. The FBS should be no different. So no, there isn't one other team sport you can find that isn't crowned with a champion through a tournament or series.

No, there are hundreds, not one. Why don't you get to work on fixing that "problem"?

There are hundreds because there are hundreds of leagues. In each of those leagues/divisions, there is ONE champion at the end. I'm not sure you're understanding the point at all. The FBS is just another division/league. Every other division/league does it right, and crowns one champion on the field/court.

Every other league/division you've mentioned doesn't have a problem. There is literally only one league that has the problem...the FBS. It seems you're trying to make this into a "world champion" of college football type thing, which isn't what the issue is. All the FBS needs to do is crown a champion the same way all of the hundreds of leagues/divisions you brought up...not with subjectivity amounting to nothing more than figure skating. It's embarrassing. I mean, for fuck's sake, the FCS plays the same sport with the same Division 1 status and can do it...there is no reason at all that the FBS cannot do the same.

Why do the championship games in the Power 5 conferences take the 2 teams they do? Why not just have a committee to figure out who the best 2 teams are in each conference, regardless of record, and send them to the conference championship game? That would be fucking retarded, wouldn't it? Yet that is literally what they do when crowning a "champion" in the FBS as a whole.

Last edited:
It is worse than most figure skating too .. it is olympic figure skating where the SEC is the Russian skater and the committee are the Russian judges.

MW - As for your point on there being a lot of different championships won in high school sports there is one underlying difference .. the premise of each of those subdivisions is that they are all eligible for their championship.

FBS does not encompass all college football
FCS does not encompass all college football
However, for teams in the FCS, every single one of them can win the FCS championship. In the FBS less than half the teams in the league are eligible. There isn't another league that functions in that way. EVERY other league that has participants, all the participants have a chance at that title.

I can sympathize with the concept of not needing a playoff .. just play the games and take your bowl invites and go home without there being a champion and have people vote on who they think is best for water cooler talk.

But if you are claiming to have a championship game, then you should have equal access to it.

Every year I have participated in fantasy football leagues the following has occurred:
1. Every participant was allowed to compete in the playoffs if they won their games.
2. My team was always the best on paper but didn't always win (hmmm) - Always. Every time it was the best.
3. If I went undefeated and you told me two guys had better teams than me in your opinion, I am gonna have a problem with it.

I agree with Georgia over Ohio State. Buckeyes didn‘t shown up until the last two weeks of the season. Before then slid by Braska, nearly lost to Maryland. Thats really bad. Georgia though after losing to LSU demolished ranked team after ranked team. They just looked and acted like a team that could control games on both sides of the ball whereas with Ohio State you felt like you were watching an unpredictable adventure

I get the conf championship argument but that can also only mean so much. I think thats what arguably saved OU in getting in against Jorja

I played Auburn on motivation last year in that bowl. So not sure I understand your point

I bet on UCF in that bowl. Why would Auburn have been motivated? Instead of facing a playoff team they had to play a power 5 team? They had nothing to gain in that one. Citing UCF’s win over Auburn is so weak. Fact is that UCF doesn’t play anyone better than Memphis. Early-season Pitt, Cincy, Temple. Garbage from a power 5 perspective.

I bet on UCF in that bowl. Why would Auburn have been motivated? Instead of facing a playoff team they had to play a power 5 team? They had nothing to gain in that one. Citing UCF’s win over Auburn is so weak. Fact is that UCF doesn’t play anyone better than Memphis. Early-season Pitt, Cincy, Temple. Garbage from a power 5 perspective.

I discussed it extensively in my bowl thread last year. I think I went 36-28 or 36-29 in the bowls last year so I don't think I was awful at guessing motivation.

From my thread last year after the game .. I added to my original bet with Auburn 2h (which means i obviously didn't consider their effort in the first half to be flat as a whole, though the QB was atrocious)

"All in all, more good luck than bad and it was a fun bowl season. Sour last day though on many levels, particularly the heavy investment I had in Auburn. UCF wasn't flat, neither was Auburn (sans QB). UCF proved they were the better team. If they played next week, I would make them the favorite. "

I just thought it would be difficult to go undefeated and get snubbed and their coach was leaving (though coaching the game ... might have misjudged that part) ... how do you get up for Auburn in that spot when you should be playing Clemson or one of the other playoff teams?

SEC has it great ... they play eachother and they are all great so all wins are awesome and all losses are excusable. When they smash their ooc opponents it is because they are the SEC and bigger, stronger and faster and when they lose it is because they couldn't get up for the game.

And as for the motivation .. and getting up for the game .. the same SEC fan will say that the G5 team doesn't have to get up for every game, just a few in a season because their conference is easy. It's hilarity ... the only time the SEC team isn't up for a game is when they get their ass kicked.

UCF dropped their drawers and put it in Auburn's pooper because they were the better team.

And if they were the better team and it was because Auburn sucks, then Bama and UGA had really bad losses.

How you could watch even a half of that Auburn game and then say UCF had no chance to beat Bama or Uga or Clemson or OU is beyond me. It takes a true lack of understanding of the game of football to make that argument.

VK dominance

Auburn was the last line of defense of one of those dreaded G5 teams winning a natty. They failed.

And there's a banner that says so.

Holy fuck those sneaky fucks putting uga over tosu

That is getting used to justify a 2nd sec team over a conference champ within the next 5 years
Incomprehensible but they've been massaging this narrative for years

Just a hunch but that committee didn't spend all night figuring out who was number 4 as was pitched, they spent all night in sorrow that SEC2 couldn't be in or they'd be crucified

Was at the game, there is reason Bama is who they are. They win those games. Unreal story for Jalen Hurts.

4 SEC teams in the NY6, puke. Michigan vs Florida again, snooze, puke, already bitch slapped them twice. If Florida wins of course all will be forgotten and SEC is the ruler, because everyone told us so. Mine as well play UCF, everything to lose here for M, nothing to gain. Peach Bowl too, most meaningless of NY6 and will be filled with SEC homers and Gator fans. Atlanta, gross, rather go to AZ or Florida again.

Worst year in CFB I can remember, why not let UCF give it a go vs Bama. Nah, instead the semis are DD lined games, fun.

Don't forget about guys who were banged up to end year but should be fresh in a month. Tua and Trace come to mind.

Since the NCAA is too fucking stupid and will never change the current system until 2030, contracted bowls need to end if team from contracted conference makes final 4. No one wants to see a 4 loss B12 team play again. No one wants to see 4 SEC teams. It makes the bowl matchups horrendous. To think, if Orange Bowl wasn't Final 4 game this year we would get a second ACC team in a NY6 game. Takes away all the luster. Would rather M just play on NY day then Dec 29 like the old days. Instead, be lead in for the Final 4, sweet.

Jim Delaney is a fucking tool too. First, the guy looks like Satan's son, have another drink Jimmy. 9 conference games was a genius idea instead of having our teams clean up late year like SEC on Ferris St or whatever comp to The Shitadel you want to give us. Get rid of or at least realign divisions you dumb shit. Divisions mean nothing, just take the top two teams. So you think they do, then realign it so its not a crock of shit team from B10 west every year. Its easy, reassess every 5 years and you can still keep the traditional rivalry games. Oh I know, Nebraska and Purdue are on the rise, blah blah blah. Then maybe if they reach levels of your big 3 the last few years, change it up again. Get a fucking clue.

Bama vs Clemson is gonna be cool again, I guess. Its gotten to the point where I don't even remember these teams from years past, its just the same teams to me each year. Yawn. Its like when I'd do dynasty season on Play Station College Football on jv and just keep winning natty after natty and getting 5 stars everywhere. JOKE

Kirby Dumb and James Franklin should trade stories around a campfire. Who is dumber, who is worse in game. You can recruit but you can't be elite cause you aren't elite coaches. You are dumb fucks who lose the same way repeatedly to Bama and OSU. Your players gave everything, you should have won, but you don't because you freeze under pressure.

Lets keep pounding our chest about the SEC you media hacks because they played a team they are more familiar with than anyone close. Lets forgive every loss by Auburn LSU and UGA and just say that the SEC is the only group of teams that should be allowed in the post. Lets just let them have their own playoff. No other teams are worthy, they are the only teams with speed and size and of course, great coaches. Oh thats right only fucking Bama fits that bill because they spend every dollar on it and have 200 assistants walking the sidelines and employ an army of everything. I mean, lets put 250 guys on payroll. You can't even walk on that sideline. Cheer coaches etc. Cool, too bad the majority of your players will never have a degree, but who cares, they can tell their grandkids they won a natty but can't spell it.

Fuck Notre Dame. Team is so righteous they get to sit on their ass while these other schools battle to the death to try to make the playoffs. These holy boys of privilege get to eat Duck crepes while they nestle in all fresh with an extra week of rest from everyone else because they won't and don't need to join a conference because they are ND. Brian Kelly, you killed a kid, covered up rape, go to hell. Mandate they join a conference or treat them like UCF. I'd love to see UCF punk these pussies.

Now you're on to something. UCF/Notre Dame would be possibly the most fascinating game of bowl season.

Michigan in the Fiesta against UCF would have made it palatable, this matchup is just one of those....what time's the next game?

On top of that, anyone wants to grab a buddy and go to the Fiesta for less than your lunch (plus tip) come on out. Golf is more expensive. When you have a hookup that isn't a vendor or whatever, you pay face value for prime seats. That, by definition, would be a poor business decision.

LSU fans are more plentiful than UF fans here but not by that much. Definitely more. Seriously though, who is traveling to Phoenix from Orlando/Baton Rouge/NO for this? Walk in, make an appearance, pretend you're Big Al Reno and sign a couple autographs/take pics then get the hell out of there before some drunk tea bags you.

And Mich/Florida, does anyone even care about this? Florida vs Nc State would maybe be entertaining. This is just another "is this the only game on?"

Just seen this. Don't know if it's accurate but if it is.. wow. What if tua played just 100 more snaps lol.

Attachments

• IMG_6886.JPG
    IMG_6886.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 12
Back