• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

Question for OSU fans and CFB fans in general...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Ryan Day:

Answer all these:

Is he coaching next season if they lose to Michigan?

Is he coaching next season if they beat PSU, PSU beats Mich and OSU loses to Mich -- but they win tiebreaker and go to playoffs (but lose)?

Loses to Michigan, goes to playoffs as 2nd big ten team and loses?

Just food for thought...

The ND post game wasn't just about Lou. There was heavier layers to that, in my opinion.

Can't wait for N25. Hopefully we BOTH beat PSU and have The Game 'for all the marbles '.

Sorry to not answer the questions directly. My stepson is OSU alum and fan. He is thinking if NE Patriots call he’ll be coaching there next year.

I think there's a lot of jumping the gun here. But I think the performance/outcome against PSU will provide a lot of clarity into which way this is going.

This is still a coach who has been extremely successful and with no clear heir apparent waiting in the wings (ie., Urban in 2011).

Ryan Day:

Answer all these:

Is he coaching next season if they beat PSU, PSU beats Mich and OSU loses to Mich -- but they win tiebreaker and go to playoffs (but lose)?

Just food for thought...

The ND post game wasn't just about Lou. There was heavier layers to that, in my opinion.

Can't wait for N25. Hopefully we BOTH beat PSU and have The Game 'for all the marbles '.
i think in every scenario you stated, he is coaching Ohio State next season, unless he, himself, decides to leave.

who would they get who is better? urban meyer again? IDK who is better out there.

1697231530517.png

I think there's a lot of jumping the gun here. But I think the performance/outcome against PSU will provide a lot of clarity into which way this is going.

This is still a coach who has been extremely successful and with no clear heir apparent waiting in the wings (ie., Urban in 2011).
True.

We are seeing things go a bit differently since he's gotten full squads of his recruits. Like Urban, all very highly rated, but he concentrates on some positions more than others.

There was no heir apparent to John Cooper (also, extremely successful and for a long period).

i think in every scenario you stated, he is coaching Ohio State next season, unless he, himself, decides to leave.

who would they get who is better? urban meyer again? IDK who is better out there.

View attachment 78334
I don't always read into the "who is better" argument. There are always many factors at work when you have boosters etc involved with decisions.

Doubt urbs comes back to Ohio St, but he has (at least) one more job in him at some point, don't we think?

That was clear from the Gators doc on Netflix....he will be back, but only to a sure winner. He doesn't take to losing very well
I'm thinking FCS once one of those top dogs move on

Not sure what big time D1 program wants to remotely get involved with him at this point. Those kinds of programs aren't begging for Urban Meyer at this point. Bama hit the home run with Saban because he was still a desired coach. That was before social media could destroy the hire. CUM can't be desired by anyone outside of the MAC at this point. Guess it would be hilarious if he worked his way into Notre Dame but hard to see them playing the desperate card.

Seems crazy to me they would fire a dude who almost never loses outside 1 game a year (I know for some it the only game), and in playoffs. I have no clue but it’s a damn good thing he hired Knowles cause that d is carrying them as far they going this year!! I honestly don’t think they beat pen st or Michigan.

There was no heir apparent to John Cooper (also, extremely successful and for a long period).

Compare Cooper's final years to Day's current position. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

And I don't buy the idea that they're trying to land 5 star recruits at one position group but not caring about others. That doesn't make sense.

Let's let the season play out.

Compare Cooper's final years to Day's current position. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

And I don't buy the idea that they're trying to land 5 star recruits at one position group but not caring about others. That doesn't make sense.

Let's let the season play out.
Fwiw, I could have started this thread anytime before the season started. This doesn't reflect on the current squad.

I'm not saying they care less about certain positions. They most definitely loaded up at skill positions for a bit. Yes, they are still recruiting highly touted linemen -- but that's the hardest of the positions to rank.

There's one job down there.

If we get to the 1st of December and he still hasn't beaten them since the last decade (yes corona year obviously missed) there will be enormous pressure/backlash.

Yes, they are still recruiting highly touted linemen -- but that's the hardest of the positions to rank.
Their OL recruiting has been really poor. But I don't think that's due to effort, negligence, or some sort of philosophical approach that OL isn't important. Recruiting is a bit weird nowadays as you know.

If we get to the 1st of December and he still hasn't beaten them since the last decade (yes corona year obviously missed) there will be enormous pressure/backlash.
Yes, I get this is what michigan fans fantasize about :D

Credit for at least acknowledging that Day has in fact beaten michigan. That fact seems to get lost in the fantasizing of others.

He's 1-2 and missed out on a year that would've been an easy victory. That's a far cry from Cooper. Let's see what happens. Agreed that the PSU/mich game this year are very important for him.

Usually that's for out of work ex addicts or whatever.

He's raking it in on Fox and is pretty good at it. Sometimes we overcomplicate things.
You've made my point!

He's fine, all of the Fox guys are fine outside of Klatt who is elite

Yes, I get this is what michigan fans fantasize about :D

Credit for at least acknowledging that Day has in fact beaten michigan. That fact seems to get lost in the fantasizing of others.

He's 1-2 and missed out on a year that would've been an easy victory. That's a far cry from Cooper. Let's see what happens. Agreed that the PSU/mich game this year are very important for him.
No fantasy at all.

I hope he stays for a long time.

I liked him those first few years running up scores, making me money. No doubt.

No fantasy at all.

I hope he stays for a long time.

I liked him those first few years running up scores, making me money. No doubt.
It always takes a big man to sell his soul to make a few bucks

This is the real CTG!

My take has been losing Kevin Wilson has hurt that offense. Believe his contributions have been understated.

I am on the Bucs today. There is pressure on that offense and believe they will roll the Boilermakers.

I don't always read into the "who is better" argument. There are always many factors at work when you have boosters etc involved with decisions.
true

i think he grew weary of criticism all around after the 2021 and 2022 losses vs UM and that has factored into his frustration level that came pouring out after the ND win.

I won't call him "John Cooper" just yet, but yes, if the 3rd straight loss occurs to UM then there is a problem.

The trips to the CFP have masked the issue the past few years.

I won't call him "John Cooper" just yet, but yes, if the 3rd straight loss occurs to UM then there is a problem.

The trips to the CFP have masked the issue the past few years.
Absolutely.

Different landscape this century and will be a different landscape starting next year.

Hey, the big 2 will be happy with 9-3/10-2 in the new landscape+ we get phenomenal regular season matchups.

Same will go for your Sooners and Horns once the SEC gets their schedule together appropriately.

My take has been losing Kevin Wilson has hurt that offense. Believe his contributions have been understated.

I am on the Bucs today. There is pressure on that offense and believe they will roll the Boilermakers.
that's a great point.

Ryan Day:

Answer all these:

Just food for thought...

many layers- cutting through all of them - is that day appears to be a mental midget who gets upset when someone states the truth ! ........coaches now, especially harbaugh, will be able to look across the field and know they have a mental edge on day - and harbaugh didn't even need any more edges.

Every big loss these comments will be brought back up and increase the heat. I think he just wrote his gravestone. - A non physical team will lose every big game. and day admitted its true.

I don’t see any Ohio St guys defending any of this lol. Isn’t CTG littered with Buckeye fans?

I'm an OSU fan and I'll chime in. I think that in all 3 of the scenarios mentioned, Day still will be the coach if he wishes to be the coach. However, I think that his life probably isn't very pleasant the past 2 years and 10+ months since UM thumped the Bucks in AA, and it seems to be in his head ("I wonder where Lou Holtz is right now?!" wtf).

If OSU doesn't win the Game this year (and I'm not confident they do), at what point does Ryan Day's quality of life deteriorate and he decide to go be an OC or some such in the NFL and check his heart at the door, knowing that one loss doesn't define any season at that level? I don't know that Ryan Day his it in him, and I'm not saying that disrespectfully. Three years ago, I'd have questioned if Harbaugh did, so it's obviously all a work in progress. And what if OSU loses the Game this year and next - is Ryan Day prepared to carry that weight around for another 2 years and a couple of months? I don't see him doing that.

I'm an OSU fan and I'll chime in. I think that in all 3 of the scenarios mentioned, Day still will be the coach if he wishes to be the coach. However, I think that his life probably isn't very pleasant the past 2 years and 10+ months since UM thumped the Bucks in AA, and it seems to be in his head ("I wonder where Lou Holtz is right now?!" wtf).

If OSU doesn't win the Game this year (and I'm not confident they do), at what point does Ryan Day's quality of life deteriorate and he decide to go be an OC or some such in the NFL and check his heart at the door, knowing that one loss doesn't define any season at that level? I don't know that Ryan Day his it in him, and I'm not saying that disrespectfully. Three years ago, I'd have questioned if Harbaugh did, so it's obviously all a work in progress. And what if OSU loses the Game this year and next - is Ryan Day prepared to carry that weight around for another 2 years and a couple of months? I don't see him doing that.
Well said

maybe now that Harbaugh's staff will be watched closely the rest of the year and cannot attend tOSU games to steal signals, you guys will turn the tables on UM in AA?

today the Knowles-led Buckeye Stop Unit held the Nittany Lions O to just 1 of 16 on 3rd downs and 1 of 3 on 4th downs.

total 2 out of 19 on 3rd and 4th down combined.

that is absolutely incredible.

Ohio state can get any cfb coach they want not named Harbaugh or Saban. Jmo

True, but who would be better than what they have, even if he was on the hot seat?

While the seat will be warm if he doesn’t beat Michigan, Day isn’t going anywhere unless it’s on his terms, regardless what happens this year.

Multiple Big Ten ‘ships and playoff appearances in 3 out of his first 4 years. Come on now.

True, but who would be better than what they have, even if he was on the hot seat?

While the seat will be warm if he doesn’t beat Michigan, Day isn’t going anywhere unless it’s on his terms, regardless what happens this year.

Multiple Big Ten ‘ships and playoff appearances in 3 out of his first 4 years. Come on now.

Oh I agree. I was just saying they can get anyone they want if it came to that some way, some how. He's a great coach in my book.

go back thru the thread when you have time.

i said exactly this.

but BAR made a really good point.

just read through when you have a few minutes.

the big rivalries will mean far less next season when the CFP expands to 12 schools aka junior NFL playoffs.

some schools might even rest starters the last game of the season if they are undefeated and pretty much guaranteed to get into the Field of 12.

Back