Prince Fielder & Jurickson Profar done for the year

can't believe he's been so durable up to this point, honestly. that frame doesn't exactly scream "reliability"

But when someone brought up the coney island, Fielder had no trouble remembering those tasty hot dogs.

"Coney island? Yeah, definitely," he said with a wide smile. "I definitely can't be eating there too much. But I definitely remember it. I think my kids are going to enjoy it a lot more than I will."

That would be Fielder's sons, Jadyn, 7, and Haven, 5. Jadyn sat next to his dad at the podium during the news conference at Comerica Park announcing Fielder's $214-million, nine-year deal. Haven, a bit too shy, sat with his mother, Chanel, in the first row.

But don't worry. Dad will get a couple of coneys. Contrary to popular belief, Fielder is not a vegetarian, and he wanted to dispel that notion right away.

"Let's do this now," he said. "I'm not a vegetarian. Let's just do that. Let's just knock that out. Just write it down.

"I was for three months. But once it became if I didn't hit two home runs, I was just like, 'You know what? I'm over it.' "

Chanel, 27, provided the impetus for Fielder's short-lived vegetarianism. She bought the diet book "Skinny Bitch" a few years ago on a plane trip back from Los Angeles. Fielder, 5-feet-11 and 275 pounds, read it even before his wife.

"It wasn't that he was a full-fledged vegetarian," Chanel said. "He just didn't eat a lot of red meat and pork."

And when the most minor fluctuation in Fielder's power occurred in Milwaukee, his diet was blamed.

"He read the book, and I guess it spoke to him; I guess, obviously, the cruelty and everything else like that," Chanel said. "He tried it, and he didn't have much support behind it, and he moved on."

Prince-Fielder-Tigers-nacho-091913.gif

Back