Players opting out of bowl games

booksbestfriend

On Johnny's Shitlist
Maybe we can compile a list to stay informed of teams that will be missing players to prepare for the draft.

Discuss the implications to their respective teams and your feelings on their decision.

If you follow a team and get word of players opting out, post it.

I was wondering about Josh Rosen, but read this:

Bruins quarterback Josh Rosen should be back after missing the second half of his team’s regular-season finale against California with an unspecified injury. Fisch said Rosen had fully participated in two bowl practices and was moving and throwing the ball well.

I would say Josh Rosen and Josh Allen are highly unlikely to play. Rosen is a bit of a wild card in general so he could but it makes no sense. Allen I would say with more confidence is a no. Several of the prominent Texas guys are sitting out I know. I have no information on this but I imagine several FSU players will sit as well. In general, I feel like top players at blue bloods playig in trash games are likely to sit.

Only thing from a local Wyoming paper at the moment:

LARAMIE — The circumstances surrounding Wyoming football’s 2017 bowl game are not quite as ideal as they were a year ago.

Instead of coming off a conference championship appearance, the Cowboys are on the heels of a loss to one of the worst teams in all of the Football Bowl Subdivision. Star quarterback Josh Allen has an injured throwing shoulder, creating uncertainty as to whether he has thrown his last pass as a Cowboy. And instead of heading to sunny San Diego, Wyoming will go to a cold-weather venue where it has already played once this season.

Still, the Cowboys hope to make the most of their trip to the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.

“(Head coach Craig) Bohl made a really good statement for us that this is something that we need to be excited about, that we need to enjoy,” senior fullback Drew Van Maanen said in a Sunday teleconference. “And I think that that’s something that our guys are definitely doing. Just getting around the guys, whether it be a light practice or lifting, you can just see that the guys are happy to be out there, for this season to be continued and not be over.

“... It’s a special moment. It’s a special time, so it’s just something that you need to cherish and enjoy.”

Wyoming will face the Central Michigan Chippewas in the Dec. 22 bowl, it was announced Sunday. The bowl is played at Boise State’s Albertsons Stadium, where Wyoming lost to the Broncos back in October.

“Selling tickets to Boise isn’t going to be as easy as selling tickets to San Diego,” Wyoming athletics director Tom Burman said. “So, we’ve got a lot of work to do, but we have great fans, and the fanbase hopefully understands that we’ve got 125,000 dollars worth of tickets we have to sell at 50 dollars apiece. That comes out to 2,500 tickets we’ve got to move through our ticket office. That’s not going to be easy. It’s going to be a great challenge. But our people are amazing.

“... We’re going to have a good crowd there. I’m very confident of that. It’s a different sell than San Diego, but it’s no less. Hopefully, people are going to watch the Wyoming Cowboys.”

Burman declined that the status of Allen, who is considered to be a potential first-rounder in the upcoming NFL Draft, affected bowls’ interest in Wyoming.

“No, not at all,” Burman said.

Wyoming has gone 0-2 in games Allen has not started this season, most recently losing at San Jose State, a team that previously had not beaten an FBS opponent. Allen has not yet declared for the 2018 draft, but head coach Craig Bohl said he does not expect Allen back for his senior season.

This is the first time since 1987-88 that Wyoming has reached a bowl game in consecutive seasons.

“I want us to be in the hunt for bowl games every season, and I want us to compete for championships,” Burman said. “And obviously, in year four, Coach Bohl, his staff and the young men in this program have turned that corner.

“We’re not far away from putting rings on fingers and being Mountain West Conference champions.”

Last season, Wyoming followed its Mountain West Football Championship Game loss to San Diego State with an appearance in the Poinsettia Bowl, which has since ceased operations, in San Diego.

The Cowboys’ loss to BYU came in their first bowl appearance since 2011. Now, the Cowboys hope the next step is winning a bowl game — especially for those whose college career is down to one game.

“It’s an emotional thing, knowing that this is my last game here for the university, and for some of the other seniors,” said Van Maanen, a team captain. “But I’m excited. Any time I get to put those pads on with my brothers, there’s no feeling like that. I’m just going to cherish every moment. Every practice we have. Every film session we have, meals and lifting. I’m just really going to cherish these last few weeks, because my time is winding down here.

“I’m excited. Yeah, the emotions definitely kick in and that sadness of this part of my life coming to a closure, but I’m going to look forward to it and enjoy this last little bit.”
http://trib.com/sports/college/wyom...cle_5d67dd49-e906-5e72-9816-2ca0489c0336.html

Wyoming fans are not happy or excited about the bowl they got, sometimes that is also reflected in the team (for different reasons).

WYO message board link if anyone wants to see - http://www.wyonation.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=a0d0c3b49a43527f60f159eddf70e040

1. Cold (they were in San Diego last year) 2. Despite being geographically close, not the easiest to get to surprisingly by car or air 3. Flights expensive 4. They hate Boise!

Cal been putting out QBs it seems

the rest of the team just sucks? That it?

UCLA just sucks without Rosen is that what you are asking?

Pretty much yes. The OL has been bad for them. They have some potential in the running game and if Rosen doesn't play the gameplan could be interesting. They say that Chip Kelly isn't going to be involved beyond moral support and that it is Jedd Fisch's show. But Rosen has been a one-man team and they have relied upon him to do too much without offering better complimentary and protective players around him. Then there is the defense, which is also bad. Again, shouldn't be that bad, but they are. It really must frustrate Bruin fans to have seen that game vs USC because if they could've played that well in their other 11 games things would've turned out much better for them.

I'm pretty upset that central Michigan and Wyoming got paired up. They were both firmly at the top of my fade list.

There was somebody who I caught the tail end of a bottom line ticker said "will sit out bowl game", but I missed the first part with name or team. It was a week ago or so.

I would say Josh Rosen and Josh Allen are highly unlikely to play. Rosen is a bit of a wild card in general so he could but it makes no sense. Allen I would say with more confidence is a no. Several of the prominent Texas guys are sitting out I know. I have no information on this but I imagine several FSU players will sit as well. In general, I feel like top players at blue bloods playig in trash games are likely to sit.
Once I get some information on the Noles, I'll post it. I would imagine a few of our defensive leaders will sit and I don't blame them. There is absolutely nothing to play for. Why risk their payday?

Right nowvthe program feels like an emotional wreck, so motivation will be a concern. But, it is too early to tell. If Haggins gets the nod, which I expect he will, I think the young guys will play hard for him.

3 of Texas' top players (OL Connor Williams, LB Malik Jefferson and DB DeShon Elliott) are declaring and will not play vs. Missouri.

That may've been the one from the ticker I bet, the Texas kids.

It's too bad. All these kids get taught and coached and preached throughout their football lives is about team and about football family and about the guy next to you and all of that and then they cut and run thinking only for themselves and leave their team in the wind. Our country...

It's too bad. All these kids get taught and coached and preached throughout their football lives is about team and about football family and about the guy next to you and all of that and then they cut and run thinking only for themselves and leave their team in the wind. Our country...
Umm it's ok to blame NCAA football in general for sucking money from them in the first place

Little torn on this. I can see it from both sides. I suppose the final-4 has created this, but I can’t prove it. If your not in that group, what does it matter? J Smith from ND will continually be the example. I think I would do the same if I received a 1-2 round grade.

Reactions: KJ
18 is an age in which you can do a lot of things, are required to do a lot of things

But make money playing football isn't one of those things...and you likely have a shelf life of 5 years on average starting at that point if you are good

Like alot of things, it's a slippery slope and we go down many different ones annually. Sorry don't want to derail from player discussions. But team game, winning your last game is supposed to mean something for you, for your team mates, for your school. It's changed. Alot of things have changed and if it is a change for the worse it is hard to accept. I mean what do I care really, but I guess I do. Not the same as coaches, coaches are like bosses. Different, sure you might run through a wall for your favorite coach or a boss you really have a great relationship with. But bosses, coaches, they aren't like the regular workers, the players. The players form a bond. Their the ones doing the dirty work together, us against everyone else and together we'll succeed. And I just don't like to see it go this way. "I care more about me than all of you, so I want to get paid, y'all have fun in that meaningless football game".

Like alot of things, it's a slippery slope and we go down many different ones annually. Sorry don't want to derail from player discussions. But team game, winning your last game is supposed to mean something for you, for your team mates, for your school. It's changed. Alot of things have changed and if it is a change for the worse it is hard to accept. I mean what do I care really, but I guess I do. Not the same as coaches, coaches are like bosses. Different, sure you might run through a wall for your favorite coach or a boss you really have a great relationship with. But bosses, coaches, they aren't like the regular workers, the players. The players form a bond. Their the ones doing the dirty work together, us against everyone else and together we'll succeed. And I just don't like to see it go this way. "I care more about me than all of you, so I want to get paid, y'all have fun in that meaningless football game".
Very good counter and don’t worry about derailing. I’ll try to edit the 1st post when I can for a quick glimpse. Just keep ‘em coming as you get ‘em.

I agree.

You can say the universities exploit them, but their teammates don't, and I think it's pretty shitty to quit on your teammates. Of course, a couple guys might be happy to get a little extra PT and let their own stars shine.

Little torn on this. I can see it from both sides. I suppose the final-4 has created this, but I can’t prove it. If your not in that group, what does it matter?

Does Furman or FAMU have a team? Did your high school have a team? If playing in the final four is the only thing that matters, then what are 99.9% of football players doing?

Does Furman or FAMU have a team? Did your high school have a team? If playing in the final four is the only thing that matters, then what are 99.9% of football players doing?
Both Furman and FAMU have a football team. My HS does too. None of the 3 will be in the final four and probably 99.9% of the players on each will not play in the NFL. But, the other .1% will. Even less will be a 1-2 round pick. You apparently have a problem with those kids deciding to forego playing in their final bowl to pursue a career. I don’t.

Both Furman and FAMU have a football team. My HS does too. None of the 3 will be in the final four and probably 99.9% of the players on each will not play in the NFL. But, the other .1% will. Even less will be a 1-2 round pick. You apparently have a problem with those kids deciding to forego playing in their final bowl to pursue a career. I don’t.

But why skip just the bowl? Why not skip games 12 and 11 and 10? They're telling their teammates "the season's over, so I'm out of here", but if the standard for the season not being over is a chance to make the "final four", then the season was over for those Texas players in September.

But why skip just the bowl? Why not skip games 12 and 11 and 10? They're telling their teammates "the season's over, so I'm out of here", but if the standard for the season not being over is a chance to make the "final four", then the season was over for those Texas players in September.
Ask the 3 players that have already declared for the draft. Maybe they can shed some light on why they played out the regular season and will not be playing in their bowl.

Bowl games are generally regarded as a Cash grab, which the players have no part in

if you're a first round lock like James is, or McCaffrey last year, why risk the injury and potentially millions

It's giving a chance to a younger player to show himself as well, I don't think the team mates view it negatively

Penn State linebacker Manny Bowen did not play in the Nittany Lions’ final three regular season games, and on Friday it was confirmed he will be not be with the team at the Fiesta Bowl on Dec. 30 against Washington.

Bowen’s absence during the regular season was attributed to a “rules violation.” The junior was not listed on the team’s depth chart ahead of the Fiesta Bowl.

He was a key member of the Penn State defense for the first nine games of the season, recording 51 tackles and 1.5 sacks. He missed easy Nittany Lions wins over Rutgers, Nebraska and Maryland to close the regular season.

Brandon Smith, Jason Cabinda — who ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit called a “future star” — and Koa Farmer are listed as Penn State’s three starters at linebacker for the bowl game. Bowen’s future with the team beyond the Fiesta Bowl is unclear. He has one year of eligibility remaining.

https://www.landof10.com/penn-state/manny-bowen-penn-state-fiesta-bowl-rules-violation

Ermon Lane and Matthew Thomas will not suit up for the Independence Bowl. That is after both Derwin James and Josh Sweat also declared for the upcoming draft. We all know Derwin is a big part of the defense, but I will tell you Matthew Thomas is a bigger hit to the defense. He has been the team leader in tackles for the last two years. Sweat can be replaced. Although a great player, the DE spot is pretty well stocked. LB is a spot we can Ill afford to miss a body. Especially Thomas, as he seems to be in on every play. Ermon Lane has been used as a utility player for his career. Highly touted, but rarely used. The points are starting to look good now.

Hurst is playing for Michigan. Kinda cool. I didn't expect a first round pick to play but we'll take it.

Northern Illinois injuries

DeKALB – Northern Illinois won’t have its two most productive offensive players when the Huskies kickoff against Duke in the 2017 Quick Lane Bowl Tuesday at Ford Field in Detroit.

Senior tailback Jordan Huff (ankle) and tight end Shane Wimann (turf toe) are both out because of injury. The pair combined for 1,000-plus yards and 13 touchdowns this season. Wimann led NIU with a team-best seven scores.
The Huskies will also be missing a key piece in their secondary. Former All-American safety Shawun Lurry had surgery on a broken wrist that he played with all season, he announced on Instagram earlier this month.
http://www.daily-chronicle.com/lists/2017/12/22/f30e07f9d20440528e4bcc198f877087/index.xml?page=1

Other NIU:

NIU running backs Tommy Mister, Marcus Jones and Tre Harbison should spend time in Huff’s place. The trio combined for 744 rushing yards on 158 carries with six touchdowns this season. Scharping said all three tailbacks have plenty of ability.

“It’s the same with every position, we have a lot of good running backs, a lot of good tight ends,” Scharping said. “I’m sure everyone will be ready to go for this game.”
NCAA individual leader and consensus All-American defensive end Sutton Smith is aware Duke could try every blocking scheme possible to stop him. Smith leads the nation in tackles for loss (28.5) and sacks (41).

“I’ve seen a lot of stuff from defenses. … A lot of running back shifts, a lot of double teams and triple teams,” Smith said. “That just goes back to how you prepare for the game and how good you want to be, and just know what they are going to send to you. You have to be prepared for every obstacle to overcome it."

Big move in the Kansas St line on speculation, but Rosen says he will play if healthy (unless he is just saying that to avoid potential negative press).

UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen wants to play in Cactus Bowl, won't sit to avoid risk of injury
Josh Rosen, who doesn’t know whether doctors will clear him to play in the Cactus Bowl and isn’t certain if he’ll return to UCLA or enter the NFL Draft, is sure of one thing. At least, he was Saturday.

He says he’ll be at quarterback for the Bruins against Kansas State on Tuesday night at Chase Field if he gets the medical OK.

“Absolutely,’’ Rosen said. “I’m here.’’

Physicians continue to evaluate Rosen’s recovery from a concussion suffered on Nov. 24 in the Bruins’ regular-season finale, a 30-27 victory over California. It’s the second concussion he’s had this season.

“Get checked every morning,’’ said Rosen, who said he saw doctors Saturday when the Bruins practiced at a high school in Gilbert, a Phoenix suburb.

When asked if the latest diagnosis was optimistic, Rosen couldn’t be sure.

“I don’t know,’’ he said of a decision that might not be made until game time. “I’m not into inferring. But we’ll see.’’

That’s the way it’s been for Rosen, whom some NFL scouts have projected to be the No. 1 pick in the draft if he decides to forgo his senior season. Questions, especially about the NFL, came at him faster than a safety blitz Saturday. But he sidestepped them quickly and gracefully, perhaps because he knew they were coming.

Of course, he hears the talk about him going No. 1.

“Yeah, it’s special,’’ Rosen said. “I remember growing up and we watched Andrew Luck [go No. 1]. We watched Matthew Stafford. I remember watching the Reggie Bush draft. I just remember all of these drafts, growing up. It’s just surreal. This year or next, it’ll be a fun experience.”

But, no, he says he has not made a decision about the when and he says won’t until after the Cactus Bowl.

“I’ll go home, sit down with my parents, have a conversation and go from there,’’ he said.

If cleared to play, Rosen also said no to any chance he might sit out the Cactus Bowl so as to not risk an injury that might jeopardize his shot at being a top pick.

“No, not a thought,’’ Rosen said. “Maybe, I like my team more than some guys. Personally, I just really want to play in this game. I love these guys.’’

Last year there was controversy when Leonard Fournette of LSU declined to play in the Citrus Bowl and Christian McCaffrey of Stanford sat out the Sun Bowl. Fournette was the No. 4 pick and McCaffrey went at No. 8. This year, versatile safety Derwin James, a redshirt sophomore at Florida State, said he would not play in the Independence Bowl on Wednesday.

“I feel like it’s unfair with the Christian McCaffreyes, the Leonard Fournettes, and maybe Derwin and some other guys, because they play really physical positions,’’ Rosen said. “For them, it’s not an issue of getting hurt. The issue is how severe. Those guys get banged up, to some extent, in every game.

“Quarterback is unique. We take a few licks here and there. But nothing like that. People also have to realize that a lot of these guys have family, kids. A lot of guys have to support families. They may want to play in a bowl game. But maybe they’re locked into their futures and they need to take care of a kid, or family, or brother or sister. People should look into each of their stories and see how football is affecting their lives. I’m fortunate. I’m a quarterback. Every situation is unique.’’

Despite the uncertainty, Kansas State has been preparing for Rosen and his accurate arm.

“Definitely,’’ said Wildcats cornerback Duke Shelley, who already faced Heisman Trophy winner Baker Mayfield of Oklahoma. “A great quarterback. I mean, one of the best I’ve seen. I’ve been playing against great quarterbacks since I’ve been in the Big 12. Guys like Mayfield. Rosen fits into that category. He’s not too quick to make decisions. That what separates from other guys. You can’t bait him. Can’t fool him.

“Against him, you’ve got to be sure, real sure, you’re on your game.’’

Kansas State linebacker Trent Tanking is hopeful Rosen plays.

“Of course,’’ Tanking said. “If we win, we could say we faced a guy like him and succeeded. If he goes to the NFL and becomes a star, we can say we faced that guy, too. There’s really no downside.’’

Fisch preps for game No. 2

Interim UCLA coach Jedd Fisch said he spent part of Friday night reading Kansas State’s bio of coach Bill Snyder. “He’s been a head coach for 320 games and this is my second game,’’ joked Fisch, who is 1-0 as a head coach with a victory over Cal after stepping in for the fired Jim Mora. “But I have a better winning percentage.’’

Fisch said he has a close relationship with Mora. UCLA players do too, he said. He expects to speak to Mora a few times before Tuesday’s kickoff. “I’m sure he’ll have a message for all the guys,’’ Fisch said.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ucla-football-20171223-story.html

I tend to just put player news related to injuries in this thread too.

Washington's #2 receiver despite missing the final 4 games:

Washington freshman tight end Hunter Bryant, out since late October with a knee injury, has returned to practice and could be available when the Huskies play Penn State in the Dec. 30 Fiesta Bowl, UW coach Chris Petersen said Wednesday

Utah DE Kylie Fitts

“Yeah, I’m feeling really good,” he said as he adjusts his pads once more. “I’m making good progress, so I think I should be good.”
Fitts, when healthy, proved to be the next in a long line of dominant edge pass rushers on a Utah defensive line synonymous with charging to the quarterback. His blend of size and speed followed in the mold of previous star sack artists like Hunter Dimick, Nate Orchard and Trevor Reilly. It’s no coincidence that as Fitts struggled with injuries, Utah’s sack numbers plummeted in 2017.

After wrestling a quarterback to the ground seven times in his first year at Utah in 2015, Fitts finished his injury-riddled junior and senior years with a combined 4.5 sacks.

Back