Pivotal Friday Night in the Association...

Cavs blow. Pistons SHOULD sweep them but they seem bored sometimes.
Do you not remember the Guaransheed last year? :down: Cavs are so boring.. that no one gets hyped up to play them. The series will go 6 somehow.. Expect the total to be in the 150 range.

im not even gonna comment on whoever said duncan is better than jordan or that the stons should sweep the cavs.

gl bar. im just gonna become a full time tailgater.

Duncan can't be compared to Jordan he plays a different position. Jordan is hyped up a bit too much, even though he is ONE of the greatest.

Duncan, on the other hand, will be remembered as ONE of the greatest PF/C to ever play the game.

Duncan is the best PF to ever play the game. Jordan was the best guard to play the game. Jordan won with pippen and rodman. Hall of Famers. Look what tim duncan is doing. Compare All Stars and All nba defense awards.. its a lot closer than what you think. Jordan has reached Babe Ruth status.

[edit] Honors

In his career, the two-time MVP (2002, 2003), three-time NBA champion (1999, 2003, 2005) and three-time NBA Finals MVP (1999, 2003, 2005) Duncan has collected a number of individual and team honours. As a college player, he was named ACC Male Athlete of the Year, won the John R. Wooden Award and was named Naismith College Player of the Year (all 1997).<SUP class=reference id=_ref-usabio_7>[6]</SUP> In his debut year in the NBA (1998), he was voted Rookie of the Year and elected into the All-NBA Rookie Team, made the first of nine NBA All-Star Teams – among them eight First Team nominations – ten All-NBA Teams – among them nine First Team nominations – and ten All-Defensive Teams, among them seven First Team nominations.<SUP class=reference id=_ref-stats_15>[2]</SUP> With these impressive performances, Duncan is one of only four players to receive All-NBA First Team honors in each of his first eight seasons (1998-2005), along with Hall of Famers Bob Pettit (10 seasons), Larry Bird (9 seasons), and Oscar Robertson (9 seasons), and is notably the only player in NBA history to receive All-NBA and All-Defensive honors in his first nine seasons (1998-2006).<SUP class=reference id=_ref-17>[28]</SUP> Duncan is one of only six NBA players to ever won ROY and all three MVP awards. The other five players are Wilt Chamberlain, Willis Reed, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, and Shaquille O'Neal.
Duncan was also named by the Association for Professional Basketball Research as one of "100 Greatest Professional Basketball Players of The 20th Century", being the youngest player on that list.<SUP class=reference id=_ref-18>[29]</SUP> In the 2001-02 season, he won the IBM Player Award<SUP class=reference id=_ref-19>[30]</SUP> and The Sporting News MVP Award<SUP class=reference id=_ref-20>[31]</SUP>, becoming the third player to ever win NBA MVP, IBM Player Award, and TSN Player Awards in the same season. In 2003, Duncan was ranked 55th by Slam Magazine in their list of the "Top 75 NBA players of All Time". On February 18, 2006, he was named one of the Next 10 Greatest Players on the tenth anniversary of the release of the NBA's 50th Anniversary All-Time Team by the TNT broadcasting crew. Duncan received most points among all nominees.

Duncan can't be compared to Jordan he plays a different position. Jordan is hyped up a bit too much, even though he is ONE of the greatest.

Exactly. Well said, Satyr. How do you compare Jordan to Wilt or Bill Russell. One guy literally changed rules of the game, the other won, I believe 10 rings. Beyond that, they played a totally different game from Jordan, just as Duncan does from Jordan.

Lol

The only madness I just saw was Kobe over Dr. J and Magic..lol..and imma Kobe fan..but thats ludicrous at this stage

Duncan is a hell of a PF/C....he is a more refined version of Kevin McHale..who was the best PF ever other than the Mailman

btw...Steve Nash has made it into my top 5 Pg's I have ever watched category...(under 6'5")

Thomas
Stockton
Kevin Johnson
Steve Nash
Allen Iverson

Pisol Pete...was prolly the best colege guard ever...he had his troubles in the pros adjusting to coaches and teammates..and injuries as well.

Duncan isn;t better than MJ...thats just dumb

One thing that people always say..you young bucks..is that Jordan had pippen and Rodman...blah blah blah

He had Rodman for 3 years...3 declining years

Pippen was a farud till about 1991-1992..never was clutch..finally showed his stuff every game from say 1994-1999

MJ was on an island....that said he was one of the most selfish players in NBA history who was also one of the worst teammates till his last few years..basically a complete jerk

that the 5th best pf/c is better than his airness

Is Shaq a PF/C? Really? Is Ewing a PF/C as well?

Duncan isn't a classic 5. That's why I SPECIFICALLY said, best PF/C, not "best C"

And again, how do you compare centers/power forwards to Jordan? What are the reference points? What MORE should Duncan have done to be considered "better"?

He's not a shooter, doesn't nail three pointers, doesn't play the same position, why am I even explaining this :D.

I mean, if you're going to compare different positions then why stopping there, compare sportsmen in general, go outside the sport, tell me who's better, Roger Federer or Magic Johnson?

I think you get my point.

Real quick.
Nash is a top 5 pg although hes only a 5 or 6 year wonder. He was a bench warmer to start his career kind of like Billups.

Kobe has put up numbers and accomplished things Dr J never did. Kobe is 30 years old. Compare any of his numbers are accomplishments to Dr J's. Dont say well he had shaq. Because Bird had mchale and Parish, Magic had Kareem and Worthy.

You can't win 1 on 1. Put Kobe with 3 other Hall of Famers in their prime and you have a chip. He took a team with Smush and Luke to the playoffs.

As far as Jordan goes. Yea he won 3 early on his career. That Bulls team also was one shot away from the ecf the year he sat out, so they were far from scrubs on that roster.

a 6'10 pf CANNOT guard a 6'6 sg 1-1 to 11. when duncan checks the ball to mike what he gonna do ... try dribbling to the rim? lmao

btw...Steve Nash has made it into my top 5 Pg's I have ever watched category...(under 6'5")

Thomas
Stockton
Kevin Johnson
Steve Nash
Allen Iverson

The Suns title drought continues even in the post Barkley/Kevin Johnson era :D.

"LITTLEe"..never said hey were scrubs....the jordanaires of the 80's were...a pathetic bunch

You need to look at what Julius did in the ABA for his true measure...

This isn;t a hutle thread(aka Kobe bashing)...although imma shocked you got his name in here ;)

Duncan is a "big man". You would have to classify him with all the other big men. And Wilt Chamberlin forced the NBA to change the rules of the game. Until ANYONE comes along and does that, he will be the greatest EVER!

Duncan isn;t better than MJ...thats just dumb

One thing that people always say..you young bucks..is that Jordan had pippen and Rodman...blah blah blah

He had Rodman for 3 years...3 declining years

Pippen was a farud till about 1991-1992..never was clutch..finally showed his stuff every game from say 1994-1999

MJ was on an island....that said he was one of the most selfish players in NBA history who was also one of the worst teammates till his last few years..basically a complete jerk
Rodman was on the decline with the bulls? He was first team all nba defense and led the league in rebounding each year. :shake: He was on the decline when he went to the mavs. He was in his prime with the bulls.

I never said Duncan would beat Jordan 1 on 1. I said Duncan was just as good as MJ. Compare all of their awards and all of their accomplishments.

mj dad dont die he win 8 in a row.

your kidding yuourself there

1. He didn;t retire due to his dad..tragic as it was...that was a hush hush suspension...that kinda came to the forefront between games 1 and 2 of 1993 EC Finals v Knicks

2. As watered down as the league was...no motivation goes that far.

Duncan is a "big man". You would have to classify him with all the other big men. And Wilt Chamberlin forced the NBA to change the rules of the game. Until ANYONE comes along and does that, he will be the greatest EVER!

mj did that too. its a sg game now

Rodman was on the decline with the bulls? He was first team all nba defense and led the league in rebounding each year. :shake: He was on the decline when he went to the mavs. He was in his prime with the bulls.

I never said Duncan would beat Jordan 1 on 1. I said Duncan was just as good as MJ. Compare all of their awards and all of their accomplishments.

LMAO...Rodman was in his pime when he was here...that was 1989-1993...remember the guy came into the league in 1986 at age 25.

He was the best perimterc defender ever...until he found out that rebounding was sexier. He was never as good as after he left here..although he was still pretty darn good

BAR no way he was on the decline with the bulls, that was an exageration
All-NBA Third Team (1992, 1995)
NBA All-Star Team (1990, 1992)
NBA Defensive Player of the Year Award (1990, 1991)
NBA All-Defensive First Team (1989–93, 1995, 1996)
NBA All-Defensive Second Team (1994)
NBA Top Rebounds Per Game (1992–98)
NBA Top Rebound Rate (1991–98)
NBA Top Total Rebounds (1992–94, 1998)
NBA Top Offensive Rebounds (1991–94, 1996, 1997)
NBA Top Defensive Rebounds (1992, 1994, 1998)
NBA Top Field Goal Percentage (1989)

That being said nice hit on the Spurs. Good Luck in the Conference Finals.

litleE

When he was here..he actually tried on defense..locked down EVERYONE and rebounded....

Once he ent to SA/CHI...he decided just rebounding would make him money..so he became just a solid defender and got worse on offense

Trust me..I watched prolly 80 perecnt of this guys career games..one of my 3 favorite players ever..plus I won MVP at the 1989 Dennis Rodman Camp for the 9-10 year old division ;)

satyr i dont think you have ever played basketball.

actually I did, I'm just not into these 1 on 1 comparisons, since I think they belong to Play Station or whatever.

I played tennis on a junior level (age 7-17) and I played basketball (PG) from 11-18 (I'm 178 cm in height :D) up until I screwed my knee, the ligaments were torn, all messy stuff. So I had big problems there.

Now I play recreationally with the guys.

Duncan as good as he is, is just BORING to watch. MJ, on the other hand, equals drama and excitement.

Duncan as good as he is, is just BORING to watch. MJ, on the other hand, equals drama and excitement.

Yeah well for a PF/C you can't equal drama and excitement, Duncan isn't as athletic as Jordan, you can't expect a PF/C to pull out shots MJ did. That's why I said it's totally out of place to compare players on different positions. Maybe some guys can do that and have valid reference points, I for one don't have, as I think all positions/roles in the team are to be looked individually.

this arguement just makes no sense to me.

in hs, my team was a bunch of 6'3 perimeter players and we had a 6'9 post man. he was all conference but our 4th best perimeter player could beat him 1-1 to 11 8 times out of 10.

however, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, 5-5 he was the first guy picked every fucking time.

im 6'4 and i rather play a 6'9 player 1-1 for $50 than another play of my similar skill set.

Back