Pitchers who will regress in the 2nd half of season?

• Thread starter Thread starter Gyno
  • Start date Start date
Likely to Regress, beginning with most likely:
Young
Buehrle
Wainwright
Alvarez
Beckett
Teheran
Simon
Cueto

Leaning towards regression?
Niese
Vargas
Kazmir
Lynn
Hudson
Tillman
Roark

How about those who will likely progress, starting with the most likely?
McCarthy
Nolasco
Miley
E. Jackson

Those that lean towards progression?
Wilson
Elias
Estrada
Strasburg
Bailey
Santana
Wheeler

Price too, be he's already begun his progression.

agree Teheran and Buehrle to regress and for progress agree McCarthy. Still thinking Young and Alvarez both do well in their home starts.

I dont see beckett regressing, - guy is finally healthy, see him getting stronger after the break...

Surprised nobody has mentioned Jason Hammel. Lifetime 13-29 record post All Star Break with an ERA of 5.29, over a full point higher than his career first half number.

Should provide for some tasty dog play in the second half....

Surprised nobody has mentioned Jason Hammel. Lifetime 13-29 record post All Star Break with an ERA of 5.29, over a full point higher than his career first half number.

But Hammel's ERA and xERA are similar. Only like .19 difference. Usually don't expect major swings either way in ERA unless that difference is >= 1

AZ - with this significant of a sample size I can't ignore Hammel's pattern on the second half regardless of his expected ERA. He is pitching in Oakland which certainly helps his cause. But he's back to the AL, so it probably negates the friendly confines of the the Colesium...

I dont see beckett regressing, - guy is finally healthy, see him getting stronger after the break...

Beckett is an interesting case. His ERA is 1.15 points lower than his xERA. Anything over 1 is a cause for concern. This difference can be attributed to some luck: he has stranded 85% of his base runners, which is well above average (meaning those runners will score soon) and his BABIP is low.

But regression is relative. We're not talking a 2.5 ERA guy they should be pitching like 4.5 like Buehrle. Beckett is a 2.26 ERA who should be pitching around 3.3-3.35, which is still solid.

Of course, this is all a maybe. You never know what can happen in baseball. Numbers can tell a story, but that story doesn't always lead to a predictable conclusion.

AZ - with this significant of a sample size I can't ignore Hammel's pattern on the second half regardless of his expected ERA. He is pitching in Oakland which certainly helps his cause. But he's back to the AL, so it probably negates the friendly confines of the the Colesium...

Fair enough. History of 2H performance should definitely be taken into account. Hell, when you're talking about a vet like Hammel, his whole history should be taken into account. He's never pitched this well in his career. The closest he came was in 2012 but that was partially due to a HUGE spike in GB% and only pitching 112 innings.

:cheers:

Love you brother but disagree here. I think he's a different pitcher now.

Will give you props if you're right.

Beckett is an interesting case. His ERA is 1.15 points lower than his xERA. Anything over 1 is a cause for concern. This difference can be attributed to some luck: he has stranded 85% of his base runners, which is well above average (meaning those runners will score soon) and his BABIP is low.

But regression is relative. We're not talking a 2.5 ERA guy they should be pitching like 4.5 like Buehrle. Beckett is a 2.26 ERA who should be pitching around 3.3-3.35, which is still solid.

Of course, this is all a maybe. You never know what can happen in baseball. Numbers can tell a story, but that story doesn't always lead to a predictable conclusion.

Can you post more, you're my type of baseball capper.. You see things very similar to me.

believe beckett has shoulder issues right now, but I don't think he'll be as sharp as he has been

Can you post more, you're my type of baseball capper.. You see things very similar to me.
I can indeed. My baseball stats nerd boner stems from fantasy baseball. But I've found it carries over nicely to investing. Though, I've also found that fantasy and investing are very similar: unpredictable. :)

:cheers:

Wrainwright is a similar case to Beckett. We can't expect him to maintain a 1.79 ERA, but he shouldn't finish the season any higher than 3, IMO. His strand rate is also above normal (and a low BABIP) and that tends to lend itself towards an artificially low ERA.

But, Wrainwright is awesome; I wouldn't be surprised if his ERA hovered in the low 2's.

that is a fair assessment - my point is/was that his last few years in Boston and the beginning in L.A. he was pitching hurt and now that he is relatively healthy he should be pitching like his "norm". but i see a mention that his shoulder is bothering him, which i dint know and we all know that will make a huge difference..

Back