Perfect Game / No-Hitter Alert Thread

It was freaking dumb for them to even send him back out in 9th. I’m not for these pitchers being babied by any stretch but he was already at 115 pitches after 8, had some injury concerns recently, and cards have lot of pitchers hurt at moment, last thinking they needed to be doing was risking more problems for this crap that everyone forgets about within a week!

If the Mariners or the A's didn't get a hit in 30 innings would it be a shock?

I'm with @2daBank

This no hitter thing has lost its luster. Too many hitters going bang or bust, I'm not sure it's a big deal anymore to not give up a hit in 9 innings

Lucky to actually see one when it mattered, was StL pitcher vs the Diamondbacks a lot of years ago, was an outing with co workers and we were in the cheap seats. Jimenez I believe was the pitcher. None of us realized it was a no hitter til the 8th inning lol. Pretty cool, entire stadium was pulling for it in the 9th.

Game has changed so much though, not even sure fans care anymore.

Think Edwin Jackson got one for us in Tampa with 7 walks

Doubt anyone here even cares, not like it was a well pitched game

I'm with @2daBank

This no hitter thing has lost its luster. Too many hitters going bang or bust, I'm not sure it's a big deal anymore to not give up a hit in 9 innings

Lucky to actually see one when it mattered, was StL pitcher vs the Diamondbacks a lot of years ago, was an outing with co workers and we were in the cheap seats. Jimenez I believe was the pitcher. None of us realized it was a no hitter til the 8th inning lol. Pretty cool, entire stadium was pulling for it in the 9th.

Perfect games grab my attention. Me and bank disagree there

• Love
Reactions: KJ
I'm with @2daBank

Half of them come with 6 walks! Lmao. Ultimately there has always been and will always be a ton of luck involved, I’ve seen way more impressively pitched games where a pitcher allowed a few hits than 75% the no hitters thrown.. All ya gotta do is look at the bunch of bums who have thrown them! Then come back and tell me it not some flukey shit, just cause a dude gets 27 balls hit right at ppl don’t mean he did something all that amazing! Sure for those losers it a huge deal since they will never have any great accomplishments, it basically hitting the lotto for those guys!

• Haha
Half of them come with 6 walks! Lmao. Ultimately there has always been and will always be a ton of luck involved, I’ve seen way more impressively pitched games where a pitcher allowed a few hits than 75% the no hitters thrown.. All ya gotta go is look at the bunch of bums who have thrown them! Sure for those losers it a huge deal since they will never have any great accomplishments, it basically hitting the lotto for those guys!
Seriously look at Edwin Jackson's line that game. I think the Snakes actually wanted him to throw his arm off to ease the parting of ways.

Seriously look at Edwin Jackson's line that game. I think the Snakes actually wanted him to throw his arm off to ease the parting of ways.

Who the heck was last guy snakes had throw one? Is that guy even on a roster anymore? He was a awful pitcher!!

I forgot Edwin threw one, I faded that dude for like 6 years straight w over bets! Lol

That the craziest part. Everyone who acts like I’m crazy and it like the most amazing achievement ever can’t even name 50% the guys who have done it!!!

I didn’t find them all that impressive back when guys could hit. Now pitchers facing lineups with half of it hitting below .200!!

The most impressive thing of them these days is actually pitching 9 innings! There not many complete games anymore,, wussy ass teams baby pitchers so much they act like going 6 innings a minor miracle!!

The most impressive thing of them these days is actually pitching 9 innings! There not many complete games anymore,, wussy ass teams baby pitchers so much they act like going 6 innings a minor miracle!!
Walter Johnson (long lost cousin) is rolling over in his grave

Walter Johnson (long lost cousin) is rolling over in his grave

I’m so annoyed they didn’t let Ray pitch 7th vs bottom the lineup he had fanned damn near every ab. Like it woulda killed him to throw 110ish pitches!

I’m so annoyed they didn’t let Ray pitch 7th vs bottom the lineup he had fanned damn near every ab. Like it woulda killed him to throw 110ish pitches!
It's actually gambling on decisions at this point

That the craziest part. Everyone who acts like I’m crazy and it like the most amazing achievement ever can’t even name 50% the guys who have done it!!!
You expect too much of people intellectually. I‘m not sure most people can name half of our Presidents but becoming it is still generally considered an amazing accomplishment

You expect too much of people intellectually. I‘m not sure most people can name half of our Presidents but becoming it is still generally considered an amazing accomplishment

Lol. Ok, you got me there, fair point. Let me put it this way, I can’t name half the guys who have thrown them. Or, at least half the pitchers who have thrown a no hitter have had less than spectacular careers, havnt even made a all star game. If it was a less fluky thing then the list would be mostly HOF type guys. To a extent I think it really is the equivalent of hitting a jackpot on a slot machine or couple mil on lotto!

I bet you lean more my way on this than not, pretty confident you could dig up some no hitters with shockingly avg or worse xfip in that game!

Lol. Ok, you got me there, fair point. Let me put it this way, I can’t name half the guys who have thrown them. Or, at least half the pitchers who have thrown a no hitter have had less than spectacular careers, havnt even made a all star game. If it was a less fluky thing then the list would be mostly HOF type guys. To a extent I think it really is the equivalent of hitting a jackpot on a slot machine or couple mil on lotto!

I bet you lean more my way on this than not, pretty confident you could dig up some no hitters with shockingly avg or worse xfip in that game!
Philip Humber.

Don’t get me wrong, it certainly would be cool to say ya threw a no hitter, especially if you one the below average pitchers who have done it. That said I don’t believe for a second that is anywhere close to achievements a HOF pitcher would list as one his prouder accomplishments. They know it as much luck as skill to not have one hit fall in, sneak thru a hole, a swinging bunt that gets legged out. Obviously there are no doubt some no hitters that were fantastic pitched games, all I’m saying is I know for every no no that been thrown I can find a equally if not better pitching performance that didn’t result in a no hitter!

It just crazy to me you would manage a great pitchers workload differently just cause he has a chance at one. I think they baby pitchers way to fuckin much so not like I’m against them throwing more pitches, just not for a stupid reason if they not gonna do it any other time! If I think a pitcher throwing over X amount of pitches is risking his arm health then I’m not risking my 30 mil a year asset for that reason!

This is silly. There have been 316 no hitters in the history of Major League Baseball. 35 men have thrown 2 or more. Wanna figure out how many games have been played in the entirety of MLB and see how it stacks up?

Yes, perfect games are more impressive, but acting like a no hitter is meaningless or somehow easy to do is silly.

Back