Offseason Trade Rumors/FA Signings Thread

now to get scola

I think the Bulls will get Joe Smith. He is a perfect fit in Chicago. Think PJ Brown with a better offensive game and more tred on the tires. I hope the Sixers don't re-sign him. Not because he can't play, but because there's no reason to spend money on an older vet when re-building the team. Smith is crucial in the locker room especially with a younger team. He became a team leader in Philly, and I see him and Wallace being the leaders in Chicago to win the East.

next year is bulls best chance imo. after next year there are a ton of decisions to be made by pax.

Rumors of Varejo getting around 10 million is insane. They'll want to dump that by the all-star break.

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>WHAT</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
3982.jpg

Amir Johnson
Pistons
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Deal Almost Done
Jul 9 - Amir Johnson could sign as early as Wednesday and would most likely join the team and play in three games, plus a couple of controlled scrimmages.
The Pistons are getting close to finalizing a three-year deal with Johnson that would pay him close to $10 million. Joe Dumars has made it clear across the league that he was matching any offer for Johnson, so teams have pretty much stayed away. -- Detroit News

</TD></TR><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>WHAT</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
3956.jpg

David Lee
Knicks
</TD><TD>Right Leg
</TD><TD>Lee Feelin' Fine
Jul 9 - The original diagnosis called for David Lee to be sidelined for "days, not weeks," which sounded reassuring back in February. But those days eventually totaled 135, and after months of confusion and frustration, Lee is finally playing basketball again. "Today was the first day I've actually played with contact and getting the full scrimmage in five-on-five," Lee said yesterday. "It (Lee's sore right leg) responded very, very well. I didn't have any pain. I'm not trying to windmill on people and stuff like that, but I'm still playing above the rim right now and sprinting up and down the court feeling good." -- New York Daily News

</TD></TR><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>WHAT</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
was.gif

Washington
</TD><TD>2006 Draft Pick
</TD><TD>Pecherov Eager To Make NBA Debut
Jul 9 - With all due respect to 27-year-old Spanish point guard Juan Carlos Navarro, it is Oleksiy Pecherov, the first international player selected by Washington in the first round (No. 18 in 2006) whom Wizards fans are most interested in seeing.
Participating in his second camp for rookies and free agents -- he did so last year and played summer league for the Wizards -- Pecherov now is a bigger, better version of the player president Ernie Grunfeld labeled a "steal" not long after he was drafted. "I did a lot of lifting this season," the 21-year-old Pecherov said. "I know I have to be stronger to play NBA. Everything is better here now. I want to make sure that I do everything that I can to help Washington." -- Washington Times

</TD></TR><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>WHAT</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
0259.jpg

Gary Payton
Heat
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Not Expected To Return
Jul 9 - Gary Payton, the Heat's backup the past two seasons, is contemplating retirement and is not expected to return. Pat Riley and Payton's agent, Aaron Goodwin, have said they have been unable to reach one another in recent weeks. -- Miami Herald
</TD></TR><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>WHAT</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
3308.jpg

Mikki Moore
Nets
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Will The Relationship Continue?
Jul 9 - "Mikki Moore has got a huge heart and he was great for us," said team president Rod Thorn. "He is checking out all available opportunities, as he should."
Both sides have indicated a desire to keep the relationship going. Thorn steadfastly refused to discuss any contractual numbers but would like Moore back at reasonable rates - he made $1,071,225 last year. Moore has met with Chicago officials and has received interest from Memphis. He'd like a mid-level exception deal, worth around $6 million per. The Nets almost certainly would not pay that - sources said they offered three years at around $10 million and were rejected. -- New York Post

den.gif

Denver
</TD><TD>Director Of International Scouting
</TD><TD>Scouting Leader Free
Jul 9 - Masai Ujiri is the Nuggets' director of international scouting and is as coveted a front office person as there is in the NBA.
Ujiri's contract with the Nuggets ran out July 1, and he already has several interviews scheduled this week. Ujiri was expected to meet with Toronto on Sunday about an assistant general manager position. A meeting with Golden State about an assistant general manager position is scheduled for today. -- Denver Post

18856.jpg

Gabe Pruitt
</TD><TD>NBA Draft
</TD><TD>Pistons Shocked Pruitt
Jul 9 - When the 27th pick rolled around, the Pistons had to pick between two players they liked equally. Turns out those two players were former high school teammates Arron Afflalo and Gabe Pruitt, who were watching the draft together.
Pruitt was certain the Pistons were going to call his name. So was Afflalo, who didn't even work out for the Pistons. Imagine the shock when Afflalo got the call. The Pistons felt in the end that picking Pruitt and Rodney Stuckey would be redundant.
"I am happy where I am at, but that is something I will keep inside me whenever I play the Pistons." -- Detroit News
"My agent told me I was going there, and when the pick came and I didn't get selected, I was surprised," Pruitt said. Added Glen Davis: "That's the team I thought I was going to. Yeah, they told me some things, but I guess they did what they had to." -- Boston Herald

3944.jpg

Gerald Green
Celtics
</TD><TD>Summer League
</TD><TD>Learning On The Job
Jul 9 - As he prepares for his third year in the league, Gerald Green is known beyond Boston mainly for winning the slam dunk title during All-Star Weekend last season. And, believe it or not, there are still people at summer league who talk about his left baseline slam over the Clippers' Mark Bortz here two years ago.
If the NBA had a Vegas franchise, Green would be its star -- at least in home games. "I love this city, man," Green said. "I always look forward to coming to Vegas. I just like the city." He then paused and said, "But I've got to be good everywhere, huh? Not just Vegas." -- Boston Herald

ind.gif

Indiana
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Still Looking
Jul 9 - The Pacers are still looking for a backup point guard. They've contacted the agents of Chucky Atkins, Jason Hart, Mo Williams and Keith McLeod. Tony Delk, who Jim O'Brien coached at Boston and the University of Kentucky, is also a possibility as a third point guard. -- Indianapolis Star

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>WHAT</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
30005.jpg

Don Nelson
</TD><TD>Salary
</TD><TD>Nelson 'Conflicted'
Jul 9 - Don Nelson has two years and $6.2 million left on his contract, and he can almost double his salary through playoff-related incentives. The sources said Nelson wants those bonuses to be guaranteed, bringing his annual salary to about $6 million.
Nelson declined to discuss the issue, saying that his contract was up to John O'Connor and Robert Rowell to handle. Reached by phone late Sunday, O'Connor said his client still hadn't made up his mind about next season. "All I will say is that Don is very conflicted," O'Connor said. "He is extremely excited about this team, but at the same time, he exhausted himself this last season like he has never done before." -- San Francisco Chronicle

mem.gif

Memphis
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Grizzlies Pursuing Big Men
Jul 9 - GM Chris Wallace met with New Jersey's Mikki Moore, and the agents for Orlando's Darko Milicic and Cleveland's Anderson Varejao in Las Vegas where Memphis is participating in an NBA summer league.
Wallace and Varejao's representative, Dan Fegan, had dinner Sunday night to talk about the restricted free agent. Griz brass are also planning to attend workouts that Michael Sweetney and Chris Mihm will conduct for several teams in Las Vegas. -- Memphis Commercial-Appeal

</TD></TR><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>INTERESTED</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
3007.jpg

Kevin Garnett
Timberwolves
</TD><TD>Bulls?
Warriors?
Lakers?
Suns?
</TD><TD>McCants: KG Doesn't Want To Leave
Jul 9 - One of Kevin Garnett's closest friends on the Timberwolves said the face of the franchise doesn't want to play anywhere else.
"We really try not to talk about basketball when we're around each other," Rashad McCants said Sunday. "It's a friendship. We try to leave that on-court stuff out of the way. But we talked about it a couple of times, scenarios and places. There's no other place he wants to be. When you're a king in your own kingdom, why would you want to go somewhere else?" "I heard the same kind of thing last year," McCants said. "It's a recurring act just to stir up some controversy and so forth. K.G. doesn't want to go anywhere. I don't want him to go anywhere. I know a lot of the Minnesota fans don't want him to go anywhere. But it's a business, and we just have to respect (management's) decisions." -- St. Paul Pioneer Press

18866.jpg

Yi Jianlian
</TD><TD>Summer League
</TD><TD>Convincing Performance
Jul 9 - GM Larry Harris clearly saw Yi Jianlian's potential Sunday, when the Chinese star scored 17 of his 20 points in the fourth quarter and calmly made a short turnaround jumper in the final second of play, lifting Team China to an emotional 85-84 victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers.
"I'm convinced he has no problem going down there and banging," Harris said of Yi's low-post game. "The shot he made, they could have called a foul on that. "There was a lot of contact, and he was able to finish it off and win the game for them. I'm proud of the young man and really happy to see China get a win in the summer league." -- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

3346.jpg

Devean George
Mavericks
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>George Agrees To One-Year Deal
Jul 9 - The Mavericks have wrapped up the second of their free agents, coming to terms with Devean George on a one-year contract.
A 6-8 swingman, George had opted out of the second season of his two-year contract last month to become an unrestricted free agent. He agreed to a deal worth $2.5 million for next season.
"Devean's good to go and thrilled to be staying with the Mavericks," said Mark Bartelstein, George's agent. "We agreed on a one-year deal because it will give him a chance to get his value back where it should be." -- Dallas Morning News
"He's excited to be back with the Mavs," Bartelstein said. "It's what we really wanted to do all along." Bartelstein said George had other offers but that none of them "blew him away." -- Fort Worth Star-Telegram

19020.jpg

Greg Oden
</TD><TD>Summer League
</TD><TD>Pritchard: Oden's Not Tired
Jul 9 - Kevin Pritchard scoffed at the notion that Greg Oden has become worn down with all of his media attention and public appearances. "I wouldn't say he is tired, not after seeing yesterday's practice," Pritchard said. "He had his best practice yesterday. He will have plenty of time to rest once he goes through the (U.S. national team) minicamp and gets his tonsils removed. After that, he will have a long time to rest. You've gotta have patience with bigs." -- The Oregonian

19021.jpg

Kevin Durant
</TD><TD>Summer League
</TD><TD>Durant Shows He's A Leader
Jul 9 - Most of the Sonics' roster at the Las Vegas summer league won't make it to training camp. They are journeymen, youngsters headed for the NBDL or overseas or players trying to resurrect careers. Yet, Kevin Durant has reached out to each of them, regardless of their background or stature.
Before he spoke with a reporter, teammate Jermaine Jackson, all of 31, said, "Tell him how this old head (Jackson) is helping you out." Durant smiled. He is not only emerging as the Sonics' most popular player, but also a popular teammate. He will play in his second professional game Monday against the New York Knicks, and his intangibles are slowly building, much to the liking of coach P.J. Carlesimo. -- Seattle Post-Intelligencer

</TD></TR><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>INTERESTED</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
nyk.gif

New York
</TD><TD>Heat?
Lakers?
Knicks?
</TD><TD>Not Pursuing Artest?
Jul 9 - Isiah Thomas said he is not pursuing any trades but is looking into any opportunities that would improve the Knicks.
He also said it would have to take a major deal to include David Lee in anything. "We have no intentions of moving him," Thomas said.
Right now the most intriguing option -- Sacramento's Ron Artest -- is believed to be on the back burner and might never come to fruition as long as the Kings insist on getting Lee in return. -- Newsday
There are several factors weighing against a deal for Artest being completed. Thomas is sending out signals that he will not include David Lee or Renaldo Balkman, which likely would mean no deal. The Kings, who acquired Artest for Peja Stojakovic, are not interested in trading Artest for a package featuring either Malik Rose or Jared Jeffries, with Lee not being included.
It's hard to believe that Thomas wouldn't part with Balkman, but the thinking inside the Knicks' organization is that since Artest can opt out of his contract next July, brass doesn't want to trade away the future for one season with Artest. -- New York Daily News
Thomas, following yesterday's summer-league practice, was peppered with Artest questions and tip-toed around tampering rules forbidding GMs from talking about opposing players under contract.
Thomas confirmed he and Artest had their blow-ups.
"It's safe to say any player I've coached has had times [where] we didn't get along," he said. "There are times where they don't like me. But that's OK. I'm not trying to be liked. I'm trying to coach them. -- New York Post
They also have some concerns about Artest becoming a disruptive force and a negative influence on the Knicks' young players. -- New York Times

phi.gif

Philadelphia
</TD><TD>Team For Sale?
</TD><TD>Rumor Denied
Jul 9 - Last night, during games in the Las Vegas summer league, an NBA source said several people had told him that since June 15, the Sixers' owner was actively marketing the team. The source added that no potential buyers had surfaced.
Reached by phone last night, Peter Luukko said there was no truth to the rumor. "We're absolutely not marketing the team," Luukko said. "We're excited about the young players we have, and we're not selling." --

3750.jpg

Mo Williams
Bucks
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Williams To Meet With Harris
Jul 9 - With the days dwindling until the free-agency signing date Wednesday, point guard Mo Williams is scheduled to meet with Bucks GM Larry Harris today.
Sources indicated that Williams made a visit to Miami on Saturday to consider an offer from the Heat. -- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Williams returned to Milwaukee on Sunday after a meeting Saturday with Heat president and coach Pat Riley. Williams had "a productive" visit with Riley and "was impressed" by his potential role with the Heat, his agent, Mark Bartelstein, said Sunday.
But Williams left without giving the Heat a commitment and remains undecided on his future. Free agents can sign contracts starting Wednesday.
Bartelstein would not say what he thought the Heat's chances are of reaching a deal with Williams via free agency or a sign-and-trade deal. -- Miami Herald
"He had a really good visit, but we're just exploring things." Asked if Williams, 24, would be willing to accept the mid-level exception, which would mean no more than a $6 million salary next season, Bartelstein said, "We haven't really made that decision." -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel

3501.jpg

Ime Udoka
Trail Blazers
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Miles Apart
Jul 9 - It appears the Blazers and Ime Udoka are miles apart in reaching an agreement. According to league sources, Udoka's agent -- Erin Cowan -- has informed the Blazers that a Western Conference team has offered him a three-year, $12 million contract.
Blazers GM Kevin Pritchard said if that offer is real, it is far more than the Blazers are willing to pay for Udoka.
If the Blazers do sign Udoka, it probably will be for less than $2 million per season, a source within the Blazers said Sunday. "I would think I'm worth more than that, obviously," Udoka said. "But who knows what they will do with Travis? They have the mid-level (exception), and they can go out and get another point guard, another veteran swingman, who knows? When it comes time, I will sit down and weigh all my options." -- The Oregonian

3420.jpg

Morris Peterson
Raptors
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Jazz, Hornets Court Peterson
Jul 9 - "I think they have a great team, and may be one piece away from a championship or making it to the (NBA) Finals," Morris Peterson said after arriving Sunday in Salt Lake City so he and his agent can meet today with Jazz owner <B>Larry H. Miller</B<, basketball operations senior vice president Kevin O'Connor and head coach Jerry Sloan.
"From watching them in the playoffs, especially with the loss of Derek Fisher," Peterson added, "they need a guy who can come in and play some defense and make 3-pointers and knock down shots." Peterson suggested he didn't have a formal offer from the Jazz on the table as of Sunday night, but he did confirm Utah and New Orleans are his strongest suitors. -- Deseret Morning News

min.gif

Minnesota
</TD><TD>Roster Moves
</TD><TD>Dysfunctional Front Office?
Jul 9 - One league source not associated with the Bulls likes to call Minnesota the NBA's most dysfunctional front office. It has only gotten worse now that the decision-making has been split between Kevin McHale, Jim Stack, Rob Babcock and Fred Hoiberg. There was talk the Timberwolves sent out word before the draft that owner Glen Taylor wanted to seal a Garnett deal before departing on a trip to China. A deadline was set for teams to deliver their best offers, otherwise KG was headed to Boston. Of course, it turned out to be a bluff. So far, Minnesota has added Juwan Howard and Corey Brewer to last year's 32-50 squad. Barring an unexpected turnaround, Garnett figures to stay available. -- Arlington Heights

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>WHAT</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
orl.gif

Orlando
</TD><TD>Sign-And-Trade
</TD><TD>Working On Cap Room
Jul 7 - Hoping to clear enough salary-cap space so they can retain center-power forward Darko Milicic, the Orlando Magic continued sign-and-trade negotiations Friday with the Seattle SuperSonics.
Keeping Milicic is of importance because the Magic have only Dwight Howard, Tony Battie, Pat Garrity and James Augustine along the frontline. The Magic are trying to peddle the expiring contracts of Carlos Arroyo ($4 million), Pat Garrity ($3.8 million) and Keyon Dooling ($3.5 million) to the Sonics. They are willing to sweeten the deal by including one or more future first- and second-round draft picks. -- Florida Today

mil.gif

Milwaukee
</TD><TD>Summer League
</TD><TD>Yi Impresses Harris
Jul 7 - Larry Harris was in a delightful mood Friday night and understandably so.
The Milwaukee Bucks general manager had just watched Yi Jianlian put on a thoroughly impressive performance for the Chinese National Team in the Las Vegas Summer League at Las Vegas.
"I was very impressed," Harris said in a telephone interview. "He's got a chance to be a very, very good player. I like what he did on the offensive end, but I was more impressed by what he did on the defensive end of the floor. "His lateral quickness was good, and he showed on pick and rolls and screens. He did a very good job defensively." -- Racine Journal Times

3956.jpg

David Lee
Knicks
</TD><TD>Trade
</TD><TD>Lee's Not Going Anywhere
Jul 7 - David Lee has been a one-man trade rumor for months, but Knicks president Isiah Thomas apparently has no plans to move the team's most popular player.
Thomas spoke recently with Lee's agent and informed him that he is not trading the third-year forward. If Thomas is true to his word, it will be difficult for the Knicks to acquire Sacramento's Ron Artest because the Kings would insist on including Lee in a proposed trade.
"I spoke to Isiah and he said he's not going to trade David," said Mark Bartelstein, Lee's Chicago-based agent. "David isn't going anywhere." -- New York Daily News
According to a person with knowledge of the situation, Knick president Isiah Thomas has not made Lee available in talks with Sacramento, nor will he in potential future talks. The chances are stronger that an Artest trade would happen later in the summer, when the contracts of Dan Dickau, Fred Jones and Wilson Chandler can be traded. Chandler, the first-round pick out of DePaul, is expected to sign his rookie deal Monday. -- New York Post

det.gif

Detroit
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Unused Exception?
Jul 7 - The Pistons are still in the hunt for a veteran small forward. They were set to use their mid-level exception (roughly $6 million) on Grant Hill, who agreed to a two-year package from Phoenix.
Pistons president Joe Dumars has said he wasn't particularly enamored with the rest of the available small forwards on the market (including Morris Peterson and Ruben Patterson), so there is a good chance that for the first time in at least six years, the Pistons might not use their mid-level exception. Dumars has indicated he might prefer to trade for a small forward. He has several tradable commodities, including Nazr Mohammed and Flip Murray. -- Detroit News

19023.jpg

Brandan Wright
</TD><TD>Hip Flexor
</TD><TD>Wright Will Miss Opener
Jul 7 - Brandan Wright's "unlimited potential" is going to remain just that. The Warriors will be without their top rookie for today's opener, and possibly for the rest of summer league, with an injury that caught the coaching staff off-guard.
Wright has a strained right hip flexor and is sitting out practices for the foreseeable future. The new Warrior said the injury occurred in April during an informal workout with his former North Carolina teammates after their NCAA Tournament run ended, and never fully healed during the pre-draft process. "It's real sore," Wright said Friday. "I haven't rested these last two months, so we'll take it real slow. It really hasn't gotten better." -- San Francisco Chronicle

3939.jpg

Sean May
Bobcats
</TD><TD>Right Knee
</TD><TD>Conservative Approach
Jul 7 - Doctors placed Sean May back on crutches after the season, to treat a deep bone bruise in his right knee. Before this week, any activity was limited to the low-impact environment of a pool in Chapel Hill.
The Bobcats and their medical staff are treating May's knee conservatively, and that will continue through fall training camp and possibly into the regular season, coach Sam Vincent said. May acknowledged Friday he's trying to avoid micro-fracture surgery -- a time-consuming procedure that doesn't always correct the problem.
May said his knee problems could be career-threatening if they worsen. However, he's confident he'll be back for camp, cleared for full activity. -- Charlotte Observer "Mentally, it's been tough," said May, who has missed 106 of the first 164 games of his NBA career because of right knee problems. "When I got hurt, we thought it was a three- or four-month injury. It's just been a lot worse than that." -- Gaston Gazette

Otis Smith is trying to become the worst GM in the NBA. Rashard for 126 mill is pure lunacy.

antoine walker was robbed at his home in chicago the other day. he was tied up with duct tape, had a gun pointed to his head. they took his car and jewelry. he was not physically harmed.

hes moving out of that house. the community is one of the safiest in chicago. Mike jordans ex wife lives there as does jerry azumah. i was suprised when i heard this news to say the least.

amazing how desperate and jealous some fools are.

3275.jpg

Rashard Lewis
SuperSonics
</TD><TD>Six-Year Contract
</TD><TD>Last Year Not Guaranteed
Jul 13 - Orlando president Bob Vander Weide wouldn't go into detail about the specifics of Rashard Lewis' contract, but he said that certain factors have to be met before the 2012-13 payment of $23.8 million becomes fully guaranteed.
Scott Herring, Orlando's vice president of basketball operations, said that "a number of performance categories -- some individual and some team-based" have to be met before the final year of the deal becomes fully guaranteed. It is believed that only 50 percent of the final year is guaranteed.
"Before we'd agree to get into a sign-and-trade agreement with the player we wanted him to appreciate performance first," Vander Weide said. "The deal could be worth ($118.5 million) before it's all said and done or it may not. We really won't know until the contract is complete." -- Florida Today
According to ESPN.com's Chad Ford, only $10 million is currently guaranteed in the last year of the contract. A league source revealed that the remainder will be guaranteed if certain performance incentives are met. According to this source, it boils down to this: if Lewis remains healthy, he'll get the money. -- ESPN.com

bos.gif

Boston
</TD><TD>Racial Issues
</TD><TD>Doc Won't Play Race Card
Jul 13 - Doc Rivers does not believe racial issues are a factor in getting players to the Celtics. The Celtics coach offered a rebuttal yesterday to comments made by Washington Post columnist Michael Wilbon, comments that came in the wake of declarations by Kevin Garnett and others that they didn't want to be traded to Boston.
According to Wilbon, the region's poor racial climate is to blame. And while the veracity of those claims are between Wilbon and his sources, Rivers insists the perception is based on a faulty premise. "Well, I think that's the old opinion of Boston," he said. "You know, it was in Bill Russell's book years ago, but that's changed obviously -- and it's good that it's changing. But sometimes change happens first and the perception (changing) happens second." -- Boston Herald

</TD></TR><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>INTERESTED</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
3245.jpg

Mike Bibby
Kings
</TD><TD>Cavaliers?
</TD><TD>Bibby Trade Talk On Again
Jul 13 - The Mike Bibby trade talks between the Kings and Cleveland Cavaliers have resurfaced, according to a league source.
Although the discussions between Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie and Cavs GM Danny Ferry have temporarily stalled -- all indications are they will continue -- a three-team deal appears to have come close to taking place. Though all of the terms of the deal are not known, the source said Bibby would have gone to the Cavaliers for forward Drew Gooden, while San Antonio center Jackie Butler also would have been sent to the Kings.
Just as Petrie seemed to have cooled on the notion of trading Ron Artest, it appears moving Bibby is at the top of the priority list. -- Sacramento Bee
The Spurs were working on a three-way deal with the Kings and Cavaliers that could have included Luis Scola. When they fell through, they moved to the Rockets deal, dropping the Jackie Butler salary. -- Houston Chronicle
A version of the deal was close to happening Thursday, sources said, in a three-way move with the San Antonio Spurs.
The Cavs were believed to be after the rights to Argentine center Luis Scola as well, which the Spurs own. When the talks broke down, the Spurs dealt Scola and reserve forward Jackie Butler to the Houston Rockets. The Kings, looking to add more scoring to their front line, have been interested in Drew Gooden. According to a source, Damon Jones also might have been included in the potential deal. -- Akron Beacon-Journal

0845.jpg

Alonzo Mourning
Heat
</TD><TD>Retirement?
</TD><TD>One Or None
Jul 13 - Speaking to ESPN from his Zo's Summer Groove golf tournament Thursday at Doral, Heat free-agent center Alonzo Mourning said if he does play next season it would be his final one.
"I really haven't decided yet," he said. "I'm enjoying this time off. I know for a fact that if I do decide to come back, it definitely would be my last." Mourning, 37, reiterated that his decision would be tied to the team's offseason personnel moves and Pat Riley's decision on a coaching return. -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel

3750.jpg

Mo Williams
Bucks
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Nothing To Report
Jul 13 - GM Larry Harris offered no new developments in the pursuit of Mo Williams on Thursday and indicated negotiations are continuing between the Bucks and agent Mark Bartelstein.
Published reports of possible sign-and-trade deals involving Williams were rejected by Harris, who said he remained focused on signing the 6-foot-1 free agent.
Sources indicated the Bucks have offered a five-year, $42 million deal, while Miami can offer a five-year, $31 million contract or a shorter contract with a player option in the fourth year. -- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Williams and his agent, Mark Bartelstein, had been in talks with the Bucks since Wednesday night, and the sides were believed to be making progress toward a deal.
But Bartelstein said Thursday night the Heat was still firmly in the mix for Williams, the highest-profile free agent still available.
Bartelstein would not say if talks between Williams and the Heat or Bucks are being held up by a potential sign-and-trade deal. Because the Heat is above the salary cap, the most it could offer Williams without a sign-and-trade deal is $31.4 million for five seasons. -- Miami Herald
"There's really nothing to report," said agent Mark Bartelstein, who acknowledged additional talks Thursday with the Bucks and said one or two other teams have expressed interest. -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Two people with knowledge of the situation yesterday confirmed that the Knicks have had discussions with the Milwaukee Bucks about a possible sign-and-trade for the 24-year-old Williams. Both, however, suggested that Isiah Thomas' inquiry is merely due diligence. A person with knowledge of the Knicks' plans said the interest in Williams, as well as in free-agent point guard Steve Blake, is not to be read as a move to replace Stephon Marbury. -- Newsday

3391.jpg

Chucky Atkins
Grizzlies
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Done Deal
Jul 13 - Chucky Atkins, a point guard with eight years of NBA experience, said Thursday night he will be in Denver today to sign a multiyear contract with the Nuggets.
"Pretty much a done deal," Atkins said. "I'm very excited. Very happy. For one, just to be off the (free- agent) market. Secondly, to be going to play for a very talented team that has a chance to win it all." Atkins' pending arrival means point guard Steve Blake is unlikely to return to the Nuggets. -- Rocky Mountain News

chi.gif

Chicago
</TD><TD>Luxury Tax
</TD><TD>Tax A Concern
Jul 13 - As badly as the Bulls want to add a veteran big man, GM John Paxson refuses to flirt with luxury-tax territory down the road to do so. With extensions possibly coming up this summer or next for Luol Deng and Ben Gordon, the financial parameters he has discussed with agents for Joe Smith, Mikki Moore and Chris Mihm reflect that. "We're not going to use the exceptions just to use them," Paxson said. -- Chicago Tribune

njn.gif

New Jersey
</TD><TD>Roster Moves
</TD><TD>Will They Return?
Jul 13 - By no means is Mikki Moore out of the picture. But two other members from last season's team, Eddie House and Cliff Robinson, likely will not return.
Moore's marketplace is shrinking. Memphis signed Darko Milicic, and Chicago, the other team with interest, offered less than the original Nets pitch. House likely will end up elsewhere. "He is looking around," Rod Thorn said, adding he is "not sure" if the guard will return. The Nets almost certainly will buy out Robinson for $500,000 by Sunday. -- New York Post

3734.jpg

Jason Kapono
Raptors
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Kapono Shocked
Jul 13 - "I was shocked at first," Jason Kapono said, describing his reaction when he learned Raptors president Bryan Colangelo was on the telephone to his agent at 12:01 a.m. July 1, the earliest opportunity for clubs to negotiate with free agents.
"Throughout my career, I've heard everything I couldn't do, all the reasons I couldn't fit, all the reasons I couldn't stay with a team. And now I have a team and a guy [Colangelo] who believes in me. That's something that means a lot to a player. That's something you work hard for." Kapono will wear 24, the number worn by Morris Peterson, who is likely headed to the Utah Jazz or New Orleans Hornets as a free agent. -- Toronto Globe and Mail

3420.jpg

Morris Peterson
Raptors
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>No More Mo
Jul 13 - Raptors president/general manager Bryan Colangelo confirmed yesterday that Morris Peterson's seven-season run with the Raptors is over.
"Mo was frustrated by his role (last season), but handled himself like a true professional," Colangelo said. "We wish him the best."
Colangelo said Peterson may have an opportunity to start elsewhere (likely Utah or New Orleans), something that was not going to happen here. -- Toronto Sun
A league source said Thursdsay night the Hornets are close to an agreement with Toronto's Morris Peterson, their primary target in free agency. Negotiations also continue with backup point guard Jannero Pargo, who is receiving interest from the New Jersey Nets. -- New Orleans Times-Picayune
Kevin O'Connor always declines to comment on free agents, but he did have something interesting to say when asked how the contracts given to Toronto's Jason Kapono (four years, $24 million) and Charlotte's Matt Carroll (six years, $27 million) affect his dealings.
"It's called market value," O'Connor said. "The market's been set. But you know, you don't have to shop in that market." Morris Peterson, the Jazz's top free-agent target, believes he's worthy of a similar deal, starting for the full midlevel exception of $5.356 million or close to it. The Jazz are planning on using at least a piece of the midlevel to sign second-round pick Kyrylo Fesenko. -- Salt Lake Tribune

3714.jpg

Mickael Pietrus
Warriors
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Talks Slow-Moving
Jul 13 - League sources said Toronto, Dallas and Miami were among those interested in Mickael Pietrus, but the Raptors committed their midlevel exception to sharpshooter Jason Kapono, and the Heat are still hoping to lure point guard Mo Williams away from Milwaukee.
Talks with Golden State have been slow-moving and interest in a multi-year deal might be lukewarm on both ends. Happy Walters, Pietrus' agent, said the Warriors "have not been very responsive" since tendering a one-year offer of about $3.5 million last month. "If they have an interest in keeping Mickael, they need to let us know," Walters said. -- San Francisco Chronicle

4130.jpg

LaMarcus Aldridge
Trail Blazers
</TD><TD>Summer League
</TD><TD>Aldridge May Be Done
Jul 13 - Blazers GM Kevin Pritchard on Thursday said any worries the team had were relieved after an MRI conducted on LaMarcus Aldridge's sore left heel came back negative. But he isn't sure whether Aldridge will play again in summer league.
"Everything's clear," he said. "No worries." "We're gonna take it day to day," Pritchard said. "My gut feeling is, I'm not going to risk it for summer league." -- Vancouver Columbian

3341.jpg

James Posey
Heat
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Posey Targets Four Teams
Jul 13 - Mark Bartelstein, who also represents Heat free agent James Posey, said the forward would likely sign with one of four teams: Cleveland, Golden State, New Orleans or New Jersey. -- Miami Herald
3301.jpg

Maceo Baston
Pacers
</TD><TD>Offer Sheet
</TD><TD>Pacers On The Clock
Jul 13 - Bryan Colangelo formally sent the Indiana Pacers an offer on restricted free-agent forward Maceo Baston yesterday morning. The Pacers have seven days to match the offer on Baston, whom Colangelo said would add much-needed athleticism and shot-blocking to the team. -- Toronto Sun

3422.jpg

DeShawn Stevenson
Wizards
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Contingency Plan
Jul 13 - The Washington Wizards continue to remain optimistic they can come to terms on a contract with guard DeShawn Stevenson. But in the event they don't, the Wizards are working on a contingency plan that included talking with the representative of Devin Brown yesterday, according to a team source.
The source reached yesterday said negotiations between the Wizards and Stevenson's agent are ongoing and that both sides believe an agreement could come soon.
But if negotiations with Stevenson break down, the Wizards will consider Brown. -- Washington Times
Negotiations between the Wizards and unrestricted free agent shooting guard DeShawn Stevenson continued Thursday and an agreement on a new contract could be reached on Friday, according to multiple sources familiar with the negotiations. According to one league source, the Wizards' offer is for four years and $15 million. Stevenson, who played for just less than $1 million last season, was considering that offer late Thursday night. -- Washington Post

3346.jpg

Devean George
Mavericks
</TD><TD>New Contract
</TD><TD>Bad Info
Jul 13 - There is some misinformation on the Internet stating that the Mavericks had to dip into their mid-level exception to re-sign Devean George. That's not the case, however, as George signed a one-year deal Thursday at a 20 percent increase of last year's salary. His pay for next season will be about $2.336 million. -- Dallas Morning News

det.gif

Detroit
</TD><TD>Team USA
</TD><TD>USA Taps Ronzone
Jul 13 - Pistons director of basketball operations Tony Ronzone, the team's international scout, was named to a two-year appointment with USA Basketball. He will serve as the Men's Senior National Director of International Player Personnel. The position is voluntary and Ronzone will continue his duties with the Pistons. Ronzone is to serve through the 2008 Summer Olympic Games. -- Detroit Free Press

dal.gif

Dallas
</TD><TD>Chicago Cubs
</TD><TD>Cuban Makes Pitch For Cubs
Jul 13 - Mark Cuban has taken his interest in the Chicago Cubs to the next level.
The Mavericks owner confirmed Thursday night that he has applied to Major League Baseball for a possible purchase of the legendary franchise. "I submitted the application and have no comment on the rest," Mr. Cuban wrote in an e-mail response to several questions. -- Dallas Morning News

nor.gif

New Orleans
</TD><TD>Training Camp
</TD><TD>Under Consideration
Jul 13 - Based on their summer-league performances, players who could be under consideration for an invitation to training camp are guards Anthony Roberson and Milt Palacio and forward Anthony Richardson. "We've got to look at a few guys who are here right now and see what type of interest we have in bringing them to veteran camp," Byron Scott said. "When the season was over, we felt we had to add a couple of pieces, and most of those pieces are a need to have guys coming off the bench. ... We had a young team, and hopefully we can get the depth that we're looking for. You need a rotation with 10 or 11 guys." -- New Orleans Times-Picayune

sas.gif

San Antonio
</TD><TD>Team News
</TD><TD>Quick Shots
Jul 13 - The Spurs had hoped to trade Luis Scola outside their division and were close to sending him to Cleveland, but a three-team deal that would have sent Butler to Sacramento fell apart. A potential trade to send Jackie Butler to New Jersey also didn't materialize, so the Spurs decided to package Scola with him.
The Spurs re-signed two of their own free agents Thursday, solidifying deals with forward Matt Bonner (three years, $9 million) and Jacque Vaughn (two years, $2.5 million). They had hoped to also sign Detroit forward Amir Johnson to an offer sheet, but he agreed to take less money (three years, $11 million) to stay with the Pistons. With Johnson off the market, the Spurs could turn their attention to Portland free-agent swingman Ime Udoka. -- San Antonio Express-News

lal.gif

Los Angeles
</TD><TD>Team News
</TD><TD>Quick Shots
Jul 13 - The Lakers remain interested in re-signing center Chris Mihm and aren't limited by salary-cap rules to do so. But barring a trade they'd be paying the luxury tax next season.
It remains undetermined if second-round pick Sun Yue will delay his NBA arrival a year. Derek Fisher, who is president of the NBA players union, and Lakers rep Maurice Evans will spend Sunday-Tuesday in Kenya distributing 11 million pounds of rice donated by Taiwan. -- Orange County Register

mem.gif

Memphis
</TD><TD>Team News
</TD><TD>Quick Shots
Jul 13 - The Grizzlies appear to be an unlikely place for Spanish sharpshooter Juan Carlos Navarro given the high price tag the Washington Wizards have placed on acquiring his rights. The word in well-placed NBA circles is that Washington asked for Mike Conley or Kyle Lowry or a future first-round for Navarro's rights. The Grizzlies declined. Hakim Warrick is about to enter his third NBA season and has drawn considerable interest from teams seeking to make a trade for the 6-9 forward. The Grizzlies, though, haven't been presented with any acceptable offers and that apparently was the case recently when Milwaukee pursued Warrick. -- Memphis Commercial-Appeal

Mo Pete signed with the Hornets today

Take that Renew. As a Jazz follower I can't be more happy. 4 or 5 years at 6 million a year. No thanks. The Jazz have a log jam at SG without Peterson and Fisher. Granted they all suck but Fisher didn't help anymore than anybody else last year. Last they need to do is sign somebody for 4 years who should be getting a two year 9 million dollar deal. Gotta save some $$ for D. Williams when the Jazz resign them.

Take that Renew. As a Jazz follower I can't be more happy. 4 or 5 years at 6 million a year. No thanks. The Jazz have a log jam at SG without Peterson and Fisher. Granted they all suck but Fisher didn't help anymore than anybody else last year. Last they need to do is sign somebody for 4 years who should be getting a two year 9 million dollar deal. Gotta save some $$ for D. Williams when the Jazz resign them.

Great - Peja and Mo Pete. Deserve half of the money they are getting :down2:

You just signed Jason Hart i believe. excited? haha

Magloire to Jersey

Joe Smith to Chicago(lmao)

Artest and Stepehn Jackson both suspended for 7 games to start the 07-08 year for legal issues.

Great - Peja and Mo Pete. Deserve half of the money they are getting :down2:

You just signed Jason Hart i believe. excited? haha

Granted the name doesn't mean much, but he'll probably slide right into the system. The Jazz tried to get Hart from the Kings before he was traded to the Clippers a couple of years ago. At 2 mill a year for a couple of years I'm all for it. It seems that half of the contracts in the NBA are those that teams are trying to dump. I would have liked to see the Jazz grab Magloire for some inside precense, but I'm not sure they're going to do anything with the mid-level that they still have. Either way I'm glad that they're not giving up 30 million to Peterson for the next 5 years.

Magloire to Jersey

Joe Smith to Chicago(lmao)

Artest and Stepehn Jackson both suspended for 7 games to start the 07-08 year for legal issues.

bulls in 07/08:whip:Eastern Conference

Last edited:
I was hoping all the stuff about re-signing Joe Smith was bullshit, and it was. He'll be a nice fit on a winning team. He's still got a lot of life left (more than PJ Brown did/does). There was no reason to waste cap room on him while the Sixers is re-building.

I'm curious as to why Steve Blake went to Portland. He could have gotten many more minutes on a team like Miami, and still could have been on a contender. Portland has a bit of a jam at PG, and signing Blake tells me a trade could be looming.

Mo Pete's days are over. But he will fit in nicely in N.O. They need any kind of shooter available. I didn't see his contract, but someone said 6mil a year, and that is fucking outrageous.

Mikki Moore will help the Kings un-athletic front line, but I really thought this team should start re-building this year (and that starts with trading Bibby and Artest). Moore is over 30.

steve francis is back in houston. no word on the contact size yet tho. but he is to reunite with his ol team.

yeah..Phoenix is going for a 1-2 year run basically as Nah winds down his all-star days..

scurred of luxury cap..sick..

did get 8.5 million(I believe) trade exception...could come into play.

Interesting trade here. Grizz now have essentially 3 1st rd picks who play the PG position. I'd assume Navarro will start this year (he's 27). Conley isn't NBA ready yet. Lowry has played well in the summer league, but no one knows what he can do yet.

The Grizzlies, Washington Wizards and FC Barcelona have reached an agreement that will allow Spanish star Juan Carlos Navarro to join his best friend, Pau Gasol
, for the upcoming season, a source said Friday. Terms of the deal are still being worked out, but it would give the Grizzlies Navarro's NBA rights, which had been owned by the Wizards, the team that originally drafted the 27-year-old guard. According to the source, a basic agreement and understanding is in place pending some final paperwork issues that are being resolved. Memphis Commercial Appeal

It looks like Udoka will sign with the Spurs. And the Spurs YET AGAIN get a really solid rotation player for pennies. Udoka can be an NBA starter, he will provide help at the 3 position with the aging Bruce Bowen. I dunno how they do it, but this is another great signing.

Ime Udoka, whose rise from the NBA Development League to NBA starter made him a fan favorite with the Trail Blazers, is poised to sign a multiyear contract with the reigning-champion San Antonio Spurs. Udoka's agent, Erin Cowan, told The Oregonian on Sunday that Udoka has made a commitment to the Spurs and hoped to have a deal finalized by Tuesday. Oregonian

Cowan would not reveal contract specifics, but sources have indicated that Udoka will sign a two-year deal worth more than $2 million. The second year could be a player option. "San Antonio was the first team to contact us and we've been in communication with each other ever since," Cowan said. "They were very respectful to us during the process and allowed us to go out and seek more money. But the well dried up. Ime's excited for this opportunity." Oregonian

Back