Offseason Trade Rumors/FA Signings Thread

NBA_Redd_small.jpg

The Bucks may have to think seriously about trading their No. 6 pick since Yi Jianlian and Joakim Noah have refused to work out for them and are showing no interest of going to Milwaukee.
According to ESPN's Andy Katz, the Sixers offered the Bucks two of their first-round picks (Nos. 12 and 21) for Milwaukee's No. 6 so the Sixers can take Jeff Green. Another offer was with Portland, which wanted No. 6 and Dan Gadzuric for Jarrett Jack and Joel Przybilla. Will the Blazers be happy with Gadzuric at center if Oden goes down with an injury? They would likely use No. 6 to acquire Mike Conley, which would indicate that they're set to take his best friend, Greg Oden, with the first pick. RotoWorld has also learned that the Blazers are interested in trading up to take Josh McRoberts with the No. 21 pick, which means they are also involved in talks with the Sixers. Jun. 26 - 3:40 pm et

NBA_Redd_small.jpg

The Bucks may have to think seriously about trading their No. 6 pick since Yi Jianlian and Joakim Noah have refused to work out for them and are showing no interest of going to Milwaukee.
According to ESPN's Andy Katz, the Sixers offered the Bucks two of their first-round picks (Nos. 12 and 21) for Milwaukee's No. 6 so the Sixers can take Jeff Green. Another offer was with Portland, which wanted No. 6 and Dan Gadzuric for Jarrett Jack and Joel Przybilla. Will the Blazers be happy with Gadzuric at center if Oden goes down with an injury? They would likely use No. 6 to acquire Mike Conley, which would indicate that they're set to take his best friend, Greg Oden, with the first pick. RotoWorld has also learned that the Blazers are interested in trading up to take Josh McRoberts with the No. 21 pick, which means they are also involved in talks with the Sixers. Jun. 26 - 3:40 pm et

Agree that the Bucks seriously need to entertain offers and it appears
that many teams covet the 6 pick. How about Marion for Simmons and
the # 6 ... or the pick to GS for J.Rich. A lot may depend on whether
or not KG goes to PHX with the Marion deal. Personally hoping the Sixers
make a move up and take Green who may be the player that most teams
are looking at # 6

Kapono goes to Toronto. I like him, but his defense is lacking. And I think this team needs some defense.

Walton re-signs w/ Lakers. He is a terrible player. But LA has no other options then to resign.

let me know where brevin goes as soon as you know it.

I haven't heard anything on Knight. My first guess would be Atlanta. I'm hearing Billups and Mo Williams are re-signing with their teams, so Knight, Blake and Boykins become the top free agent PGs available.

Atlanta, Cleveland, LA Lakers and Miami all desperately need PGs.

I actually like the Kapono signing. BC payed a little more but it accomplished a couple of things;

1) Quick sign (players have about 7 days to agree to a contract), leaving BC more than enough time to make some more moves.

2) Raps shoot the 3 well, but they havent had a consistent gunner since Dell Curry.

3) Kapono should thrive in our drive and kick out offense, withTJ/Caldy driving and dishing while Bosh/Bargs command double teams.

4) There is a deal in the works.

Last edited:
I thought for a while where Stevie Francis will go. He wont go to a young team who wants to rebuild. Hes 30. He wont go to a team with good chemistry already considering his past issues. He needs to go to a team who he's familiar with and who has veteran leadership who wont allow him to get out of line. The Clippers are PERFECT.

Moving to bolster the team at point guard, the Clippers are pursuing three-time All-Star Steve Francis, who could become a free agent this week, league and team sources said Sunday. The Portland Trail Blazers, who acquired the eight-year veteran Thursday, are expected to buy out the final two years and $34.25 million of Francis' contract, freeing him to agree to terms elsewhere after he clears waivers. Teams cannot sign players until July 11. General Manager Elgin Baylor and Coach Mike Dunleavy are also interested in Jason Hart, who joined the team late last season, and Brevin Knight, but Francis is potentially the team's highest-profile option.

The Clippers hope to sign Francis, 30, for a portion of the mid-level exception, reuniting him with his longtime friend, guard Cuttino Mobley. Francis and Mobley played together in Houston and Orlando, and Mobley's presence might give the Clippers an edge in reaching a deal, sources said.

Rashard Lewis going to Orlando.

5 years for 75 million, but they have to renounce Darko. Damn thats alot of cheddar, not worth it in my opinion. So, essentially they trade G.Hill, Darko and about 50 million $$$ to get Lewis. I dont see how this team is much improved.

Its also reported that Kapono signing was 4 years at 20 mill with a possible 5th year option.

Rashard Lewis going to Orlando.

5 years for 75 million, but they have to renounce Darko. Damn thats alot of cheddar, not worth it in my opinion. So, essentially they trade G.Hill, Darko and about 50 million $$$ to get Lewis. I dont see how this team is much improved.

Its also reported that Kapono signing was 4 years at 20 mill with a possible 5th year option.

There's always Mickey Mouse, pretty sure he's free.

I think Lewis is a good fit for the Magic...

I dont know if hes worth all that cash, but hes a good fit

Now, Yi is pushing for a trade from the Bucks...reports say the Sixers tried to trade their 3 first rounders this year and a first rounder next year for the guy, but the Bucks turned it down...if the Sixers trade Thaddeus Young and four other guys for this grade A stiff/headcase, Im gonna be one pissed off individual....

Fuck it, the Sixers should go after Darko...give em Carney and Hunter in a sign and trade or some shit....

Funny that Shard is going to ORL...the leaks of him using ORL as leverage to get a sign and trade to Houston never happened...

Some Interesting Stuff today fellas

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>WHAT</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
3275.jpg

Rashard Lewis
SuperSonics
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Lewis Agrees To Sign With Magic
Jul 3 - The NBA's most sought-after free agent is going to the Magic Kingdom, ESPN's Marc Stein reports.
Rashard Lewis has given the Orlando Magic a verbal commitment to leave the Seattle SuperSonics and sign a max contract on July 11, according to NBA front-office sources.
That's the first day free agents are allowed to officially sign new contracts. -- ESPN.com
Orlando targeted Lewis as its No. 1 priority in free agency. The Magic, however, was believed to be lacking the salary-cap space to give Lewis the contract he wanted. Orlando will apparently allow center Darko Milicic to become an unrestricted free agent.
While there is a chance Orlando might pursue a sign-and-trade deal with Seattle for Lewis, a person familiar with the situation said Lewis is content with the five-year deal and will not play in Seattle again. -- Seattle Times
The agreement between the Magic and Lewis is not a done deal, however. Seattle has the option to sign Lewis to a six-year deal under the rules of the NBA collective bargaining agreement.
The sixth year raises the possibility of a sign-and-trade deal that could involve Orlando's restricted free agent Darko Milicic heading to Seattle. -- Tacoma News Tribune
A sign-and-trade with the Sonics is remote because Seattle has little liking for any of the Magic players who could be available. Guard Hedo Turkoglu and forward Tony Battie each have three years remaining on their contracts and the Sonics aren't taking on either of those deals. -- Seattle Post-Intelligencer

</TD></TR><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>WHAT</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
18866.jpg

Yi Jianlian
</TD><TD>2007 Draft Pick
</TD><TD>Pressure To Trade Yi
Jul 3 - The Bucks continue to face pressure to trade Yi Jianlian, but team officials want to have a face-to-face encounter to determine his true intentions. Team owner Herb Kohl has written Yi a letter requesting a meeting. It has been speculated that Golden State might package Brandan Wright with several other players in a deal to acquire Yi, thus placing him in a market preferred by agent Dan Fegan and the player's Chinese representatives. But it's not clear if Golden State is still interested in Yi, or if it might be holding out hope to swing a bigger deal for Minnesota Timberwolves star Kevin Garnett. -- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

</TD></TR><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>WHAT</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
3818.jpg

Dwight Howard
Magic
</TD><TD>Contract Extension
</TD><TD>Extending Howard
Jul 3 - Dwight Howard has every intention of being a member of the Orlando Magic for the long term, and he hopes that free-agent forward Rashard Lewis will be right there playing alongside of him. Howard reaffirmed Monday that he will sign a five-year, $80 million contract extension -- the longest allowed by the NBA's Collective Bargaining Agreement -- in the coming weeks. Now, he's hoping the Magic can close the deal on landing Lewis, the former All-Star who is in Orlando meeting with Magic officials. -- Florida Today

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>WHAT</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
3195.jpg

Jacque Vaughn
Spurs
</TD><TD>New Contract
</TD><TD>Vaughn Remains A Spur
Jul 3 - The Spurs have reached agreement with Jacque Vaughn on a two-year contract that will pay him about $2.5 million, an NBA source said Monday. Vaughn's agreement, which pays him the minimum salary for players with at least 10 seasons of experience, means the Spurs have commitments from two of their free agents. Fabricio Oberto plans to sign a three-year deal once the league's free-agent moratorium ends on July 11. -- San Antonio Express-News

</TD></TR><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>WHAT</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
atl.gif

Atlanta
</TD><TD>NBA Draft
</TD><TD>Rumors Denied
Jul 3 - There were reports of a proposed three-way trade in which the Suns tried to send Amare Stoudemire to Atlanta, the Hawks would trade their two first-round selections to Minnesota, and the Timberwolves would send forward Kevin Garnett to Phoenix.
Did disagreements among Atlanta owners block the deal?
"None. Not at all. Not even close," Michael Gearon Jr. said. "In respect to the rumors about Phoenix, there was never a deal. There was nothing to dispute. That was all nonsense."
There also was a report Gearon and Billy Knight clashed on the decision to pick Horford because Gearon wanted the team to draft forward Yi Jianlian of China, thereby boosting Gearon's business interests in China. "I have some business interests in southeast Asia that is farther from China than Venezuela is from the United States," Gearon said. "There's not a connection there." -- Atlanta Journal-Constitution/AP

</TD></TR><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>WHAT</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
3847.jpg

Anderson Varejao
Cavaliers
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Hefty Contract Offer
Jul 3 - According to an NBA executive, Anderson Varejao has been presented with a hefty contract offer in excess of the league's mid-level exception, which is around $6 million for next season. Such an offer could be for up to five years and around $40 million or more. Only a handful of teams have cap space to make such an offer, but the one likely after Varejao is the Memphis Grizzlies. -- Akron Beacon-Journal

3186.jpg

Brevin Knight
Bobcats
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Knight Stunned By Release
Jul 3 - Brevin Knight told the Charlotte Observer Monday that he offered to take less money to remain a Bobcat. Instead, the Bobcats bought out the final $4.2 million season on his contract by paying him $1.5 million.
"If it was a money issue, we could have done something about that," Knight said. "I expressed that through my agent. What was their reasoning? I don't know."
He added he wouldn't have undermined Raymond Felton's ascension as this team's primary point guard.
"I was willing to do whatever they wanted me to do," Knight said. "I was not demanding anything." -- Charlotte Observer
Other news ...
The Nuggets' search for a point guard will lead them to Washington, D.C., today, where team vice president Mark Warkentien will meet with Brevin Knight and his agent, Bill Strickland. The Nuggets are still in contact with free agent Steve Blake, who started at point guard for the team last season. Also on the team's radar are former New Orleans guard Devin Brown and former Memphis guard Chucky Atkins. -- Denver Post

3125.jpg

Derek Fisher
Jazz
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Special Situation
Jul 3 - By announcing things on July 2, Derek Fisher's able to try and recoup as much of that $21 million as possible. He's hoping to find a team that'll pay him some chunk of their midlevel exception. Fisher said in his news conference, "I'll kind of be at the mercy of what's left once everything is finalized," but he has positioned himself to at least entertain bidders, though he is looking for a special situation with his daughter's care. Fisher's agent, Mark Bartelstein, said Fisher would not be sitting out next season and probably would sign during this July window for free agents. Bartelstein wouldn't say what cities would fit Fisher's needs but it's safe to assume they're New York, Los Angeles, etc. -- Salt Lake Tribune

3174.jpg

Chauncey Billups
Pistons
</TD><TD>Contract Negotiations
</TD><TD>No Major Snags
Jul 3 - Pistons president Joe Dumars continued negotiations with Andy Miller, representative for free agent Chauncey Billups, on Monday. And although no deal is imminent, there don't appear to be any major snags. By NBA rules, Dumars cannot comment on negotiations, and Miller has said he would not negotiate through the media. But the Pistons are believed to be offering Billups a choice of a four-year or a five-year deal. The four-year offer could be worth as much as $55 million; the five-year as much as $60 million. -- Detroit News

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>WHAT</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
3882.jpg

Andres Nocioni
Bulls
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Paxson Vows To Retain Nocioni
Jul 3 - The Bulls have a weekend free-agent visit confirmed with Chris Mihm and are trying to persuade Joe Smith to follow.
In perhaps his strongest comments to date regarding his intense forward, John Paxson on Monday said he has been in consistent communication with Andres Nocioni's representatives and vowed action in some form.
"They know we want Noce back," Paxson said. "We're in the process of trying to work something out. I know there's interest in Noce. Everybody would love to have him on their team. "There are a few teams with [salary-]cap space that could potentially throw an offer sheet down. I've often said, and Jerry's [Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf] with me on this, we're going to match offer sheets. We're not going to lose a player for nothing." -- Chicago Tribune
As soon as the NBA's free-agent market opened at 11p.m. Saturday, Bulls general manager John Paxson was on the telephone.
The first call he made was to George Bass, the agent for restricted-free-agent forward Andres Nocioni, whom Paxson said he wants to re-sign.
"They know we want Noce back," Paxson said Monday. -- Chicago Sun-Times
Trading Nocioni remains a slight possibility, and one potential target is Spanish league power forward Luis Scola, whose rights are held by San Antonio. Paxson said he always has liked Scola and has inquired about his availability. "My preference is to sign (Nocioni) outright," Paxson said. "We'd like to get something done with him because he's so valuable to us." -- Arlington Heights Daily Herald

30005.jpg

Don Nelson
</TD><TD>Legal Battle
</TD><TD>Defending His Honor
Jul 3 - Don Nelson, the Golden State Warriors coach who formerly coached the Mavericks, is embroiled in a legal battle with Mavericks owner Mark Cuban. Nelson said Monday that he feels compelled to defend his honor because of past comments made by Cuban.
"He's trying to destroy my credibility and my good name in Dallas by saying things about me," Nelson said from Oakland, Calif. "I don't worry about my friends. They know me. But people who don't are getting their information from him. When he says he has more respect for me as a coach than a person, that's an attack on my credibility." -- Dallas Morning News
other news ...
How much more money does Don Nelson want, what happens if he doesn't get it, and will Warriors owner Chris Cohan decide to pay it?
OK, that's it, right there under the beating summer sun, broiling up nice and steamy.
That's the Nelson Issue, period: More money or (possibly) No Nellie. No need to be coy about Nelson's thinly veiled threat to retire unless he receives a larger portion of Cohan's fortune than previously arranged. No need to be indirect when Nelson, true to his poker-loving soul, is going for the financial jugular at a particularly vulnerable moment, right? -- San Jose Mercury News

2626.jpg

Grant Hill
Magic
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Suns Take Shot At Hill
Jul 3 - Suns GM Steve Kerr is slated to make Phoenix's recruiting pitch to free-agent forward Grant Hill on Tuesday.
Hill and Kerr will talk by phone, because Hill's wife, recording artist Tamia, is expecting their second child soon. The top suitors for Hill are Phoenix and Detroit, with San Antonio, Orlando and Miami also in the mix. Some NBA executives favor the Suns' chances. ESPN, quoting an unnamed source, reported that Hill would play for the Suns "for sure." -- Arizona Republic

3341.jpg

James Posey
Heat
</TD><TD>Sign-And-Trade
</TD><TD>Willing To Wait
Jul 3 - The agent for veteran forward James Posey said Monday his client would agree to be used in a sign-and-trade deal if the Heat was unwilling to offer a new deal to stay in Miami.
Posey has attracted interest from Utah, Dallas, Denver, New Jersey, Cleveland and the Los Angeles Lakers, agent Mark Bartelstein said. Posey is an unrestricted free agent and free to deal with another team without having to work out an arrangement with the Heat. But Bartelstein said Posey is willing to wait for the best opportunity. -- Miami Herald

cle.gif

Cleveland
</TD><TD>Free Agency, Trades
</TD><TD>No Deals
Jul 3 - According to a source, the Cavs contacted Toronto Raptors guard/forward Morris Peterson shortly after the market opened.
Peterson, according to the source, is interested in playing for the Cavs because they are a "championship-caliber" team. Playing time also is important to Peterson, said the source. Peterson wants to become a starter or get significant playing time. He lost his starting spot this past sea son. According to several league sources, the Cavs offered guard Larry Hughes to the Boston Celtics, but the Celtics instead decided on acquiring Ray Allen from the Seattle Supersonics. Also, point guard Eric Snow was offered to the New York Knicks for guards Fred Jones and Dan Dickau, but that deal fell through. -- Cleveland Plain Dealer

chi.gif

Chicago
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Primary Targets
Jul 3 - The Bulls' two primary targets in free agency are a pair of veteran big men -- the Los Angeles Lakers' Chris Mihm and Philadelphia's Joe Smith. "Those are the type of guys we'd like to bring here," John Paxson said. "I think it's as important for them to meet us and see what we're about as it is for us to meet them. We're going to find a way to add a veteran big." Both Mihm and Smith likely would command most, if not all, of the midlevel exception worth around $5.2 million. -- Arlington Heights Daily Herald

3785.jpg

Matt Carroll
Bobcats
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Spurs, Cavs Interested In Carroll
Jul 3 - The San Antonio Spurs, Indiana Pacers and Cleveland Cavaliers have expressed interest in Charlotte Bobcats shooting guard Matt Carroll. Carroll confirmed those names in a brief interview Monday with the Charlotte Observer. He said the Bobcats also called to express interest, and he was waiting for the team to make a formal proposal to his agent, Dan Fegan. -- Charlotte Observer

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>WHAT</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
ind.gif

Indiana
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Still Looking For A Shooter
Jul 3 - The Pacers, who have repeatedly said they plan to find a shooter this summer, have expressed interest in free agent shooting guard Matt Carroll. The San Antonio Spurs and Cleveland Cavaliers are also interested, according to the Charlotte Observer.
The Pacers also have a strong interest in Kareem Rush. The Pacers also had a "very preliminary discussion" with the agent for Milwaukee starting point guard Mo Williams. -- Indianapolis Star

3722.jpg

Sasha Pavlovic
Cavaliers
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Price Going Up?
Jul 3 - Toronto agreed in principal on a reported four-year, $24 million deal with Jason Kapono, and the Los Angeles Lakers agreed to re-sign Luke Walton for $30 million over six years.
Both contracts could push up the price for Cavs restricted free agent Sasha Pavlovic. Some thought the Cavs could re-sign Pavlovic to a contract starting at $3 million or $4 million a season. Now, the 6-foot-7, 239-pounder could start at near the mid-level exception of $5.5 million. -- Willoughby News-Herald

18958.jpg

Joakim Noah
</TD><TD>Right Rotator Cuff
</TD><TD>Noah Will Rest
Jul 3 - Before taking the dais with second-round draft picks Aaron Gray and JamesOn Curry at a Monday afternoon news conference at the Berto Center, Joakim Noah had his ailing right rotator cuff examined by Cole.
The Bulls will hold their lottery pick out of summer-league action in Orlando and Salt Lake City, taking a conservative approach with an injury over which they hold no long-term concerns.
"He'll travel to be part of the experience, but he's just going to get treatment because we're going to rest it for the next month so he has his best chance moving forward," GM John Paxson said. "[Surgery] is a last resort. Our doctors are confident if we go this approach, he'll be fine." -- Chicago Tribune
'I'm in a little bit of pain right now, and it's something that's been bothering me for a long time," said Noah, whom the Bulls drafted last week with the ninth pick of the first round. "It's something I definitely want to get back to 100 percent before the season." -- Chicago Sun-Times

3734.jpg

Jason Kapono
Heat
</TD><TD>Contract Offer
</TD><TD>Heat Were Not Ready
Jul 3 - The agent for forward Jason Kapono, who agreed to a four-year deal with Toronto on Sunday, said he talked to the Heat about re-signing Kapono but the team wasn't ready to make an offer.
"They had a sincere interest in keeping him and I think Jason had a sincere interest in staying there," agent Bob Myers said Monday. "He credits a lot of his development to the Heat. In the end the Heat was not able to come out of the gates and make an offer immediately. "They are addressing other areas now, mainly at point guard. If maybe there was some more time the Heat would have been more comfortable making an offer." -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel

det.gif

Detroit
</TD><TD>Luxury Tax
</TD><TD>Taxing Decisions
Jul 3 - If the Pistons were to sign Chauncey Billups to a deal starting at $13 million (which is in the ballpark), that alone puts them over the threshold. So, if they were to sign Amir Johnson for, say, $3 million on top of that, that contract would in effect cost them $6 million. The luxury tax is one dollar for every dollar over the threshold. You can see where this might get sticky. The Pistons might get lucky and be able to divide their mid-level exception between Johnson and a free agent (say Grant Hill, whom the Pistons covet). If they can bring those two players back for $6 million, Bill Davidson might not balk at having to pay the tax on that. But, if signing Billups and Hill takes them right to the threshold, and Johnson gets a $6 million offer from another team, that could be a tougher sell. That would in effect be a $12 million contract for an unproven 20-year-old. -- Detroit News

</TD></TR><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>INTERESTED</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
3339.jpg

Ron Artest
Kings
</TD><TD>Knicks?
</TD><TD>Can Knicks Get Artest?
Jul 3 - Armed with two new trade pawns in the expiring contracts of Dan Dickau and Fred Jones, the advent of free agency and a new edict that character no longer matters, Isiah Thomas wants to swing another deal or two this month. While free-agent Rashard Lewis is their pipe dream, on-the-block Ron Artest is more attainable. Thomas had stayed clear of his former player because of his list of violent transgressions that soured owner James Dolan. With the acquisitions of troubled Zach Randolph, the character issue is dead. -- New York Post

sac.gif

Sacramento
</TD><TD>Sign-And-Trade
</TD><TD>Looking For Deals
Jul 3 - Their best chance of attracting a bigger name is via sign-and-trade, the latest potential vehicle for Geoff Petrie to move point guard Mike Bibby, small forward Ron Artest or others. Petrie said he has contacted the representatives for the "top four or five" free agents on the market regarding the possibility of a sign-and-trade but did not specify names. "We're not in that game (for the big-name players) unless those situations ... are going to turn into sign-and-trade-type situations," Petrie said. "That doesn't usually happen for a while, and whether we could be involved in them is an open question at this point, too." -- Sacramento Bee

cha.gif

Charlotte
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Long-Term Deal
Jul 3 - The Bobcats exercised the team options to retain Walter Herrmann and Ryan Hollins next season. However, backup center Jake Voskuhl exercised a player option to terminate his contract. Voskuhl's agent, Mark Bartelstein, told the Charlotte Observer his client enjoys playing for the Bobcats, but is looking for a long-term deal. Voskuhl had a productive season, picking up the slack for an often-injured Primoz Brezec. -- Charlotte Observer

gsw.gif

Golden State
</TD><TD>Luxury Tax
</TD><TD>Taxing Issue
Jul 3 - Warriors President Robert Rowell said the team would have no problem spending the $10 million trade exception acquired in the Richardson deal. As for entering luxury-tax territory, which is likely if Kevin Garnett somehow lands in Oakland? "I've always said this team will pay a tax if we're in a position to put a team out on the court that's going to compete at the highest level possible," Rowell said. "I'll also back up and say that in the history of who's won championships in this league, the San Antonio Spurs have won four championships and they've paid tax once. ... So it's very doable." -- San Francisco Chronicle

2640.jpg

Aaron McKie
Lakers
</TD><TD>Assistant Coach
</TD><TD>Not Yet
Jul 3 - Former 76er Aaron McKie offered instruction to the players yesterday, but according to a team official, he has not been hired as a coach. McKie, technically a free agent after playing for the Los Angeles Lakers for two years, will be working with the players throughout the summer and will travel with the Sixers for games in the Las Vegas summer league. As part of a guaranteed contract with the team, McKie's salary of $7 million will count against the cap this season. -- Philadelphia Inquirer
3960.jpg

C.J. Miles
Jazz
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>May Not Be Easy
Jul 3 - It looks like the Jazz might not have as easy a time as they would have liked in re-signing 20-year-old guard C.J. Miles. Miles's agent, Billy Ceisler, wouldn't talk specifically about interested teams, but did say that the amount of interest around the league has been "validating about who and what he is." That is a potential starting two-guard in the near future. Miles is a restricted free agent, giving the Jazz the right to match any offer he receives. "I think restricted obviously is hurdle," Ceisler said, "but it's not a hurdle in terms of [having conversations] and trying to figure things out." -- Salt Lake Tribune

4188.jpg

Will Blalock
Pistons
</TD><TD>Team Option
</TD><TD>So Long Will
Jul 3 - If the Pistons drafting three guards last Thursday wasn't a clear indication that Will Blalock's days were numbered, then Arron Afflalo showing up wearing Blalock's jersey No. 8 certainly was. The Pistons did not pick up their option on Blalock, leaving the point guard free to latch on with another team either here or abroad. Most likely, Blalock is going to have to battle his way back through the European circuit. He has to prove to NBA teams that he can stick an open 15-foot jump shot. -- Detroit News

orl.gif

Orlando
</TD><TD>Pepsi Pro Summer League
</TD><TD>Roster Set
Jul 3 - J.J. Redick, James Augustine and Milovan Rakovic, Orlando's haul from the past two NBA Drafts, will play for the Magic's summer league team next week in the Pepsi Pro Summer League. The games, which will be closed to the public, will feature teams from the Charlotte Bobcats, Chicago Bulls, Indiana Pacers, Miami Heat and New Jersey Nets. There will be three games a day for five days next week at the Magic's headquarters at RDV Sportsplex. The games will be broadcast on orlandomagic.com. -- Florida Today

den.gif

Denver
</TD><TD>Summer League
</TD><TD>Tskitishvili's Back
Jul 3 - Former first-round draft pick Nikoloz Tskitishvili and late-season call-up Von Wafer highlight the Nuggets' NBA Summer League roster that will begin a one-week schedule Sunday in Las Vegas. Tskitishvili was drafted fifth overall by the Nuggets in the 2002 NBA Draft. After two unproductive seasons with Denver, he was traded to Golden State in 2005. Tskitishvili returned to Denver in 2004-05 and played in 23 games, then left again for Golden State. -- Denver Post

Nuggets eyeing Knight, who would fit nicely in their system. I thought Blake was a nice fit, but he disappeared in the playoffs and played scared and lost at times. They haven't broken off discussions with Blake, but it seems they really like Knight. With Mo Williams and Billups demanding the most money as the best avaiable free agent PGs, Knight might come at a bargain.

The Nuggets' search for a point guard will lead them to Washington, D.C., today, where team vice president Mark Warkentien will meet with Brevin Knight and his agent
, Bill Strickland. Knight's contract was bought out Friday by the Charlotte Bobcats, who paid $1.5 million to part ways with the 5-foot-10 playmaker from Stanford. Knight was due to make $4.2 million next season.

I think Lewis is a good fit for the Magic...

I dont know if hes worth all that cash, but hes a good fit

Now, Yi is pushing for a trade from the Bucks...reports say the Sixers tried to trade their 3 first rounders this year and a first rounder next year for the guy, but the Bucks turned it down...if the Sixers trade Thaddeus Young and four other guys for this grade A stiff/headcase, Im gonna be one pissed off individual....

Fuck it, the Sixers should go after Darko...give em Carney and Hunter in a sign and trade or some shit....

A deal I've been mentioning for a while now is Willie Green, Hunter, and a future pick for Darko. I like Darko if the price is right (6mil a year). I hear he is commanding 7-8 mil a year. I believe Willie Green is an NBA starter, but not for the Sixers. Moving Lewis to the 4 would give Orlando (who had no offense last year) a very strong offensive unit with Howard, Lewis, Hedo, Green, and Nelson. Hunter can come off the bench and take the place of Darko's minutes. He could even start at times.

Arroyo could be added to that deal for salary purposes. He didn't get much time last year, and he'd be a nice fit in Philly giving us some size at PG.

Well Smokedawg. Look at this concerning Darko. He now is UNRESTRICTED.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2925284

The 3 teams with cap space really don't need a big man THAT bad (Bobcats, Grizzlies, and Bucks). The Bulls could be a possible fit. The Sixers could sign him to a 1 year deal this year to the mid-level exception, and see what he has to offer. The 4 spot will be all his with only Stephen Hunter and Jason Smith as true competition. The Sixers can then decide to re-sign him next year (when they will be around 15mil under the cap) to a long-term deal, or go after the AMAZING free agents in 08' like Arenas and Brand.

3275.jpg

Rashard Lewis
Magic
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Sticking With Plan A
Jul 4 - Rashard Lewis said Tuesday he was interested in playing basketball with LeBron James in Cleveland, with Shaquille O'Neal in Miami and with Greg Oden in Portland, but in the end it was the power of Dwight Howard who pulled him to Orlando. It was an easy slam-dunk.
"I had eyeballs on Cleveland, and Miami was most definitely high on my list, and Portland. I had Plans A, B, C and D, but Orlando was Plan A," Lewis said. "I wanted to give the Sonics the first crack at it, since I was there nine years and they made me into a man. I had a great meeting with them, but I felt they were rebuilding, two or three years from getting into the playoffs.
"I'd be 30 by then, and it's not something I wanted to do, raising a young team. I know the Magic are a young team, but their young guys, like Dwight, have been around the game." -- Orlando Sentinel
"I feel like I'm just now hitting my prime," Lewis told FLORIDA TODAY. "I feel like I have the kind of focus and knowledge of the game to keep on improving every part of my game. But my main focus is to win ball games and bring a championship here. If we can still add more pieces and role players, we should be in perfect position." -- Florida Today

3705.jpg

Darko Milicic
Magic
</TD><TD>Qualifying Offer
</TD><TD>Agent Upset With Smith
Jul 4 - After the club withdrew its qualifying offer to Darko Milicic on Tuesday, Marc Cornstein, Milicic's agent, said there was "no chance" of Milicic playing again for the Magic "as long as Otis Smith is the Orlando Magic's GM.
Cornstein called Smith a "liar" and said his dealings with Milicic were "deceitful, disrespectful ... a disgrace."
Cornstein said he was particularly upset about how Smith informed him Tuesday of their decision via an e-mail.
"This is how I found out," Cornstein said. "That's how he conducts business."
Perhaps there was more behind the Magic-Cornstein relationship. He represented Fran Vazquez, whom the Magic selected No. 11 in the 2005 draft, but remained in Spain. -- Orlando Sentinel
The breaking point between the two sides apparently was Milicic's demand for a contract approaching $10 million a season. The Magic balked since the market for Milicic isn't very high since so few teams are under the salary cap.
The Magic nearly signed Milicic to a four-year, $40 million contract in late October, but the team pulled that offer off the table at the 11th hour. That started what Cornstein called "a pattern of disception." -- Florida Today
As much as the Bulls think Orlando Magic free agent Darko Milicic might help fill their low-post scoring need, a source said the $10 million per season Milicic's agents reportedly are seeking would eliminate the Bulls from the bidding. -- Chicago Sun-Times

3174.jpg

Chauncey Billups
Pistons
</TD><TD>New Contract
</TD><TD>Still Haggling ... Agent Mad At Writer
Jul 4 - The negotiations between Chauncey Billups and the Pistons will continue today, although it appeared by midday Tuesday the sides had closed in on a five-year, $60 million deal.
At least one issue still unresolved, apparently, is the details of the fifth year. Either the fifth year will not be guaranteed, or perhaps the bulk of the $60 million will be paid over the first four years.
Either way, it doesn't seem like it would be a deal-breaker. -- Detroit News
Andy Miller, Billups' agent, is furious with me and that bothers me. I have had a great working relationship with Andy and Chauncey and I want that to continue. I wasn't trying to do harm to anybody. Announcing the structure of a five-year, $60 million deal didn't sound to me like bad news for either one of them. It's a great offer -- by average annual salary the richest in Pistons' history.
But Andy feels like the Pistons were trying to pressure him into a deal. That's not remotely the case, but that's how he feels. He was also angry that the news got out before he could talk to Chauncey. -- Detroit News
Another person with knowledge of the negotiations confirmed Miller's statement that the deal is not done nor agreed to and said the two sides are still talking. The person requested anonymity because free agents can't officially sign deals until July 11.
Still, there are indications the two sides are getting closer to a verbal agreement. Talks have not broken down, and the Pistons remained confident a deal would be finished soon, possibly today. -- Detroit Free Press
While the Pistons seem intent on offering him a four- or five-year deal that averages no more than $12 million a season, Billups' camp is believed to be seeking a contract that averages closer to $15 million per season. The problem for Billups is that, despite being the NBA's top free-agent point guard, most of the potential suitors with enough salary cap space have already allocated it elsewhere, or have their sights set on a different player. -- Booth Newspapers

3785.jpg

Matt Carroll
Bobcats
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Carroll Agrees To Long-Term Deal
Jul 4 - Charlotte Bobcats shooting guard Matt Carroll told the Charlotte Observer early this morning he's agreed to a long-term deal to stay with his current team. A source close to the situation said Carroll will sign a six-year contract, worth roughly $27 million, when he returns from his trip to Asia. -- Charlotte Observer

</TD></TR><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>INTERESTED</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
3415.jpg

Hedo Turkoglu
Magic
</TD><TD>Kings?
</TD><TD>Kings Eye Hedo Reunion
Jul 4 - According to a league source, the Kings recently contacted Orlando about Hedo Turkoglu. The most likely King to be offered in a deal would be small forward Ron Artest, whose $7.8 million salary for the 2007-08 campaign is close enough to Turkoglu's $6.3 million salary to fall within the parameters of the collective bargaining agreement. -- Sacramento Bee

3515.jpg

Jason Richardson
Bobcats
</TD><TD>Trade
</TD><TD>Emotion Still Present
Jul 4 - Five days later, after the Warriors swapped Jason Richardson and the No. 36 overall pick for the No. 8 selection, North Carolina freshman forward Brandan Wright, the emotion is still present.
"I'm still shocked," Richardson said in a phone interview from the Bahamas, where his fiancee and two children are taking in a planned vacation. "It's hit me a couple of times. ... It was a shocker. That was home. I've been there for six years."
Richardson was angry. So mad, he just stopped answering his phone. Not for Michael Jordan, part-owner and managing member of basketball operations for the Bobcats. Not for his mother. He said it wasn't that he got traded, but how the Warriors handled the situation. -- Contra Costa Times

2626.jpg

Grant Hill
Magic
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Decision By End Of The Week
Jul 4 - After hearing Phoenix's recruiting pitch Tuesday, free agent Grant Hill is expected to make his choice known by the end of the week.
Hill passed on tours and in-home visits and settled for phone calls with his suitors. Phoenix GM Steve Kerr got the last word of the interested teams.
Hill also is considering Detroit, San Antonio, Miami and a surprise - Dallas. Hill was born and lived a portion of his boyhood in Dallas, where his father, Calvin, played six years for the NFL's Cowboys. -- Arizona Republic
Kerr talked with Hill and his agent, Lon Babby, by telephone. Kerr was home in San Diego, while Hill was with his wife in Orlando, Fla. -- where the couple is expecting a baby soon. Hill is expected to make his decision within two to three days.
"We had a good discussion, but nothing has happened," Kerr said. "We should find out where we stand fairly soon."
Kerr wouldn't comment beyond that. But sources say the meeting went as well as could be expected for Phoenix, and the Suns are still very much in the mix for Hill's services. -- East Valley Tribune
Several media outlets reported that the Phoenix Suns spoke with Hill and offered him the veteran minimum ($1.2 million) to join their contending team. Hill said in a text message that he was taking his time, giving no indication if he was leaning toward a return to Orlando. -- Orlando Sentinel

0845.jpg

Alonzo Mourning
Heat
</TD><TD>Retirement?
</TD><TD>Zo Remains Undecided
Jul 4 - Heat center Alonzo Mourning remains undecided about his playing future, but said it will hinge on two factors: what upgrades are made to the roster this summer and whether Pat Riley returns as coach.
Mourning said Tuesday the Heat still has too many unsettled issues for him to decide right now whether to retire or return for a 14th season. Riley said after Friday he had a "good feeling" Mourning would play next season. But Mourning said Tuesday he would like to know Riley's plans before he commits. -- Miami Herald

3882.jpg

Andres Nocioni
Bulls
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Strongest Pitch
Jul 4 - Cleveland's Anderson Varejao, New Jersey's Mikki Moore and Orlando's Darko Milicic are among the big men the Griz have already expressed interest in. Chicago forward Andres Nocioni received the team's strongest pitch when Chris Wallace recently visited Nocioni in his native Argentina.

The Griz targeted Nocioni early because he would address several needs, including toughness, defense, rebounding and 3-point shooting. His natural position is small forward but he saw time at power forward for the Bulls, who may be faced with a tough decision regarding Nocioni. -- Memphis Commercial-Appeal
Could Bulls forward Andres Nocioni be on his way to Memphis in a trade for Pau Gasol?
A league source suggested any talks between the Bulls and Grizzlies are in the preliminary stages. But Memphis GM Chris Wallace flew to Argentina in recent days to meet with Nocioni, sources confirmed.
One theory is the Bulls would be willing to send Nocioni, first-round draft pick Joakim Noah, backup point guard Chris Duhon and filler to the Grizzlies in exchange for the 7-foot Gasol. -- Arlington Heights Daily Herald
League sources said the Grizzlies have yet to present Nocioni, 27, with an offer sheet. As one of the few teams with salary-cap space, the Grizzlies theoretically could present a five-year deal worth anywhere from $40 million and $46 million.
Those figures could be a severe test for the financial plan of John Paxson, who also must consider long-term contract extensions for Luol Deng and Ben Gordon</B>. This fact is said to have made Nocioni's restricted status look vulnerable to Wallace.
A league source said the Bulls officially have made Nocioni a contract offer, a show of respect consistent with Paxson's above-the-board negotiating style. -- Chicago Tribune
A source close to Nocioni confirmed Tuesday that Chris Wallace, who recently was appointed the Grizzlies' general manager, has traveled to Argentina to meet with the restricted free agent. "I'm not commenting until we get this thing done," George Bass, Nocioni's agent, said when asked about the Grizzlies' interest. -- Chicago Sun-Times

3420.jpg

Morris Peterson
Raptors
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>First On The List?
Jul 4 - The Jazz remain the front-runners to sign Toronto's Morris Peterson and likely will watch Derek Fisher agree to terms with a new team sooner rather than later.
They are still the top suitors for Peterson, a source said Tuesday, and Peterson is likely to visit Salt Lake in the coming days.
Peterson still has the Jazz first on his list of teams, the source said, but also has received interest from Cleveland, New Orleans, Golden State, Detroit, Denver and Miami. After losing Fisher, the Jazz's need for a veteran like Peterson probably grew in importance. -- Salt Lake Tribune
Utah is known to have expressed interest in, among others, free-agent swingmen Morris Peterson of Toronto, Devean George of Dallas and James Posey of Miami.
Peterson may be the top-target, but can the Jazz can land him? One Jazz source suggests it's a real long shot because of so much interest from other teams. -- Deseret Morning News

18866.jpg

Yi Jianlian
</TD><TD>Summer League
</TD><TD>Bucks Hope To Woo Yi
Jul 4 - The Milwaukee Bucks are still hoping to receive a positive response from first-round draft pick Yi Jianlian, who has not met with team officials since being selected nearly one week ago.
But there will be opportunities in the next few days, when Yi and the Chinese national team play in the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas. The Bucks also have an entry in the summer league, and GM Larry Harris is expected to arrive in Las Vegas on Thursday. -- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
While drafting Yi wasn't a mistake, the Bucks may have slipped up in not traveling to China last month to not only watch Yi play but to meet with his team's owner and other team officials.
As one NBA executive told me: "It was a feeling out process. It was a way of gaining their respect and that is very important to them."
I've been told Yi, contrary to his public declaration on draft night that he would "be happy" playing in Milwaukee, is far from being happy about the prospect of joining the Bucks.
What also bears watching is whether Golden State signs Brandan Wright, the power forward from North Carolina whom the Warriors obtained in a draft-day trade with Charlotte. It's no secret the Bucks are fond of Wright, who had a stellar workout for them prior to the draft. -- Racine Journal Times
John Paxson also said he is monitoring all trade talk throughout the league. That means he likely is on top of reports that the agents for Chinese 7-footer Yi Jianlian are trying to force the Milwaukee Bucks to trade him. The Bucks selected Yi with the sixth pick of the draft last week against the wishes of his representatives. -- Chicago Sun-Times

</TD></TR><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>INTERESTED</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
3339.jpg

Ron Artest
Kings
</TD><TD>Lakers?
Heat?
Knicks?
</TD><TD>Can Thomas Get Artest?
Jul 4 - Rashard Lewis is off the table, Ron Artest is on the block, and Isiah Thomas must decide if it's worth trading David Lee to the Kings to put his former Indiana star on the Knicks.
With Lewis agreeing in principle to sign with the under-the-salary-cap Magic, Thomas can concentrate his sights and trade assets on a run at Artest, who played three seasons for Thomas in Indiana but now is being shopped in Sacramento.
"Let it be known Ron loves Isiah, always has," Artest's agent, Mark Stevens, told The Post yesterday. "Being a Knick, that's his childhood dream. He's a New Yorker. We'll see if it happens." -- New York Post
It would be a puzzle for all time if Artest returned to his hometown at age 27 with a truckload of baggage that rivals Zach Randolph's. But a front line of Eddy Curry, Randolph and Artest would make the Knicks just as viable -- and at least as interesting -- as any team in the East. His three-point shooting, rebounding and ferocious defense are just what the Knicks need at the small forward spot. Call it the thugification of the Knicks, if you want to. I say, why stop with Randolph? Why not go all the way and bring on Artest? -- Newsday
Ron Artest continues to be an option for the Knicks, although it is not believed to be hot-and-heavy option right now. -- Newark Star-Ledger

hou.gif

Houston
</TD><TD>Trades
</TD><TD>Seeking Frontcourt Help
Jul 4 - Unless free-agent demands change dramatically and unexpectedly, Rockets GM Daryl Morey said the team is more likely to concentrate on finding frontcourt help via trade rather than the open market. He does not expect to offer his full mid-level exception to any free agent. "Now, we're more likely to look to make any changes through trades than free agency. There are some free agents out there that at the right price we would look to add to the team." -- Houston Chronicle

3443.jpg

Brian Cardinal
Grizzlies
</TD><TD>Mid-Level Exception
</TD><TD>The Rest Of The Story
Jul 4 - An exceptionally well-connected league insider once told me the story of how Brian Cardinal got his mid-level.
Seems Memphis owner Michael Heisley, frustrated by GM Jerry West's lack of activity, walked into West's office one day and asked why he hadn't signed anyone yet. So an exasperated West picked up his phone, called Cardinal's agent and offered the mid-level on the spot. Then he turned to Heisley and said something along the lines of "There, you happy now?" Now nobody in Memphis is happy about Cardinal's contract, other than Cardinal, of course. -- Indianapolis Star

0847.jpg

Shaquille O'Neal
Heat
</TD><TD>Next Career?
</TD><TD>Shaq For Sheriff?
Jul 4 - A towering figure from the world of sports -- 7-foot-1 basketball star Shaquille O'Neal -- is musing about taking on a towering figure in Broward politics: Sheriff Ken Jenne.
The Miami Heat center tosses around the idea of seeking a sheriff's job almost as frequently as he tosses a basketball. He was a little more specific on Monday. "I probably will run for sheriff in Orlando or Fort Lauderdale, Fla.," he said during an interview on the Live with Regis and Kelly national television chat show. -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel

4131.jpg

Adam Morrison
Bobcats
</TD><TD>Rookie Season
</TD><TD>Criticism Got To Morrison
Jul 4 - "Last year I let things bother me that I shouldn't let bother me," Adam Morrison said during the first day of Charlotte Bobcats summer minicamp at Bobcats Arena.
"I didn't play as well as I'd like to and I read too much stuff. I listened to the fans when I shouldn't have listened to the fans. A lot of it wasn't negative, but I've just got to learn not to let things bother me." In other words, rookie Morrison had rabbit ears. He was in sensory overload the second half of last season and it debilitated him. After scoring 20 or more points 11 times in the first 54 games, he reached 20 once in the final 28. -- Charlotte Observer

3819.jpg

Emeka Okafor
Bobcats
</TD><TD>Contract Extension
</TD><TD>Negotiations Downplayed
Jul 4 - Emeka Okafor downplayed the negotiations he can have with team officials for a contract extension this summer. A fourth-year player, Okafor can negotiate a long-term extension like the five-year, $85 million extension 2004 draft pick Dwight Howard committed to signing recently with the Orlando Magic. "That's all in the process," Okafor said of his negotiations with the Bobcats. "We haven't done anything yet, but we have (some time). I'm going to be here next year anyway, no matter which way it goes." -- Gaston Gazette

3125.jpg

Derek Fisher
Jazz
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Knicks Interest Fisher
Jul 4 - Derek Fisher, who was released by the Jazz in order to take better care of his ill daughter, would love to play in New York, where little Tatum has been receiving treatments for retinoblastoma.
His agent, Mark Bartelstein, spoke to Knicks assistant general manager Glen Grunwald yesterday about the possibility, which is probably a bit remote.
"It's all very preliminary," said Bartelstein, one of this summer's busiest representatives, with a dozen free-agent clients. "Obviously, Derek would have a lot of interest in New York." -- Newark Star-Ledger
Phil Jackson has a tremendous comfort level with players he has coached, and Fisher was one of Kobe Bryant's confidants when the Lakers were winning championships. Fisher played eight seasons with the Lakers after being drafted in 1996 and obviously knows the triangle offense after being part of three championship runs.
"The Lakers are obviously close to his heart," Fisher's agent, Mark Bartelstein, said Tuesday. -- Los Angeles Times
"We don't know what Derek's intentions are," Mitch Kupchak said. "I have not sat down and addressed the Lakers' needs in regard to Derek. I think he still loves the game and would like to play in the future, but first and foremost he has to address the health of his daughter. Our prayers are with Derek and his family." -- Los Angeles Daily News

3748.jpg

Matt Bonner
Spurs
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Bonner Agrees To New Deal
Jul 4 - The Spurs reached agreement Tuesday with forward Matt Bonner, the last of the three free agents they hoped to re-sign, on a three-year contract worth about $9 million.
"Matt always wanted to stay with the Spurs, so he's very excited to be coming back," said Kenny Grant, Bonner's agent. The Spurs also have reached agreements with center Fabricio Oberto (three years, $10.5 million) and Jacque Vaughn (two years, $2.5 million). -- San Antonio Express-News

3186.jpg

Brevin Knight
Bobcats
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Knight Appears Keen On Denver
Jul 4 - On the eve of the Nuggets' meeting with former Charlotte point guard Brevin Knight's agent in Washington, D.C., the guard expressed great interest in the possibility of playing in Denver. "That's an intriguing team for me," Knight said Tuesday by phone. "My interest is high. I just think it's a nice place to be. Two great scorers in (Allen) Iverson and Carmelo (Anthony). And to play with coach (George) Karl in that system, and where the organization has come from and where they are now, that's intriguing to me." The Bobcats bought out Knight's contract Friday. Despite overtures from Bobcats executive vice president Bernie Bickerstaff signaling that Charlotte might look to re-sign him, Knight said "the odds of going back to Charlotte are very slim." -- Denver Post

3976.jpg

Ryan Gomes
Celtics
</TD><TD>Final Year Of Contract
</TD><TD>Never Any Doubt
Jul 4 - Perhaps because it was such a foregone conclusion, it went without notice that Ryan Gomes will officially be back for the third and final year of his contract with the Celtics.
The club had until the end of June to make a decision on him, and, according to Danny Ainge, who is now both the team's director of basketball operations and general manager, there was really no discussion at all. "Never," said Ainge when asked if he considered opening up a place on the roster. "From the end of Ryan's rookie year there was really never any doubt that we'd keep him through the whole contract." -- Boston Herald

was.gif

Washington
</TD><TD>2002 Draft Pick
</TD><TD>Finally Free
Jul 4 - Juan Carlos Navarro has been released from his contract with FC Barcelona, clearing the way for the 6-foot-4, 170-pound guard to play in the NBA next season. The Wizards picked Navarro in the second round of the 2002 draft and hold his NBA rights. -- Washington Post
The shackles are finally off Spain international Juan Carlos Navarro with Winterthur Barcelona announcing on Tuesday night they were allowing the 6ft 3in guard to leave for the NBA.
"I am extremely happy with the help the club have given me, especially the president Joan Laporta to allow me to make my dream of playing in the NBA," Navarro said. "I can only thank all the fans who have always showed their support towards me. I will never forget it." -- FIBA.com

chi.gif

Chicago
</TD><TD>European Draft Pick
</TD><TD>Bulls Want Scola
Jul 4 - The Bulls are interested in acquiring the rights to Spanish league power forward Luis Scola from San Antonio. Andres Nocioni is not likely to be involved in a trade to the Spurs. The Bulls may offer Chris Duhon if he is not included in a larger deal. -- Arlington Heights Daily Herald<
3867.jpg

Vassilis Spanoulis
Rockets
</TD><TD>Release From Deal
</TD><TD>Still Wanted
Jul 4 - The Rockets still want Vassilis Spanoulis back, but he has refused to commit to returning from Greece for next season.
"He right now is definitely enjoying Greece," Daryl Morey said.
Spanoulis is one season into a three-year contract, however, and cannot sign with another FIBA team unless the Rockets release him, something Morey said the team does not plan to do. "He's a player we think can help us," Morey said. "We've invested millions of dollars in salary ($1.8 million) and scouting on him. We want him to be part of the team." -- Houston Chronicle

bos.gif

Boston
</TD><TD>Front Office
</TD><TD>Redistributing Assignments
Jul 4 - The Celtics decided not to replace GM Chris Wallace, instead altering the roles of those already on the staff.
In the process, Danny Ainge will add GM to his title of executive director of basketball operations. Assistant director of basketball operations Leo Papile appears to be remaining with the club after talk he could join Wallace in Memphis. -- Boston Herald

mil.gif

Milwaukee
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Talks Ongoing
Jul 4 - Agent Mark Bartelstein, who represents Bucks free agents Mo Williams and Charlie Bell, said Tuesday that talks were ongoing for both players.
"We're having a lot of conversations for both," Bartelstein said. "We're just pursuing everything right now." The Los Angeles Lakers, Miami Heat, Cleveland Cavaliers and Indiana Pacers have indicated interest in Williams. But all those teams have salary cap issues and could not offer more than the mid-level exception ($5.5 million per year). -- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

0814.jpg

P.J. Brown
Bulls
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Waiting On Brown
Jul 4 - The Mavericks have hopes of signing free-agent P.J. Brown, but first they must wait for him to return from a family vacation. After that, Brown's agent said Tuesday that the 6-11 center-forward will make a decision on whether he is retiring. The Mavericks are talking daily to Jeff Schwartz, the agent for Jerry Stackhouse, and the two sides are making slow progress, he said. -- Dallas Morning News

4152.jpg

Kyle Lowry
Grizzlies
</TD><TD>Broken Wrist
</TD><TD>It's A Good Day
Jul 4 - Kyle Lowry broke his left wrist, sidelining him for the remainder of a season that looked very promising for the 21-year-old, who was picked in the first round of the 2006 draft.
Completely healthy, Lowry was zipping up and down the court Tuesday, making the fearless plays that quickly got him noticed last year. "It's a good day, the first day with me personally being back, the first day after six months," Lowry said. "It felt great. I was happy to be out there." -- Memphis Commercial-Appeal

3660.jpg

Jannero Pargo
Hornets
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Pargo Wants Four-Year Deal
Jul 4 - He has received interest from at least three teams besides the Hornets, but Jannero Pargo said his preference is to re-sign with New Orleans. "I want a four-year deal, and if I could get that, it would be a wonderful thing," said Pargo, who is seeking more than the $1.08 million he would have earned this season. "I think I played well enough this year to get a three- or four-year deal. I played in every game, worked hard, and I got better." -- New Orleans Times-Picayune

3406.jpg

Chris Mihm
Lakers
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Trip To Chicago
Jul 4 - Free-agent center Chris Mihm will be in Chicago this weekend for a visit with the Bulls. He is also expected to talk with the Phoenix Suns. -- Los Angeles Times
4193.jpg

Allan Ray
Celtics
</TD><TD>Contract
</TD><TD>Pressure On Ray
Jul 4 - Allan Ray could well be playing for a job in the summer league that tips off Friday night with a game against the Portland Trail Blazers and No. 1 overall draft pick Greg Oden. The C's have until Aug. 1 to commit to the guard for a second season. "We like Allan a lot," Danny Ainge said. "Our biggest issue there is just fitting the roster together. Time will tell what we're going to do with him, but we like him as both a person and a player. It's just a question of how we're going to use that roster spot." -- Boston Herald

3015.jpg

Corliss Williamson
Kings
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Preliminary Conversation
Jul 4 - Geoff Petrie said Monday he has had "a preliminary conversation" with Corliss Williamson's agent, Jimmy Sexton. The former Kings forward said during the 2006-07 season he believes he has six seasons left. Williamson, 33, made $6.5 million last season and had said he would seek a three-year deal this time around. Petrie said no offer has been made. "He's a guy that everybody likes around here," Petrie said. "We'll continue to stay in touch with Jimmy and see at some point where we're at and what we're trying to do or what we may be able to do or get done that still fits for him and fits for us." -- Sacramento Bee

gsw.gif

Golden State
</TD><TD>2006 Draft Pick
</TD><TD>Deal Close
Jul 4 - Golden State is close to finalizing a multi-year deal with Kosta Perovic, last summer's second-round pick, according to agent Bill Duffy. Though logistical details still need to be finalized with Perovic's Serbian club team, the 7-foot-2 center appears all but set to join the Warriors for training camp in October.
"We're in good shape," Duffy said. -- San Francisco Chronicle
"He's jumping out of his skin and so are we," Duffy said. "It's been a long journey and he's excited to get here. ... This was about the right move at the first time of his career." -- Contra Costa Times

ind.gif

Indiana
</TD><TD>Summer League
</TD><TD>Shooters Needed
Jul 4 - The Indiana Pacers took a step toward improving their perimeter shooting Tuesday.
The Pacers signed guard Kareem Rush, Stephen Graham and former Perry Meridian High School and Indiana University player Andre Owens. "We wanted to find outside shooters," Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said. "We believe we got two without having to make a big trade. Kareem and Graham are both good shooters. Kareem is a great shooter." -- Indianapolis Star

4174.jpg

Dee Brown
Jazz
</TD><TD>Summer League
</TD><TD>Brown Will Play
Jul 4 - Dee Brown plans to return -- at least for summer league. So the Jazz's No. 3 point guard from last season blogs on his Web site. "As you heard Utah (offered) me a deal, so now I'm preparing to go back out there and play summer league with them out in Utah," Brown wrote. "I'm excited because (I'm) going to get a lot of minutes at the point so I can show not only the Jazz but other teams that I can really play this game and run the point guard position." -- Deseret Morning News

den.gif

Denver
</TD><TD>Summer League
</TD><TD>Wagner Won't Play
Jul 4 - Guard Dajuan Wagner will not play for the Nuggets' summer league team, the team announced Tuesday. Guards Bracey Wright and Mario Boggan have been added to the roster. -- Denver Post

Top 25 Fa

1. Rashard Lewis, SuperSonics (UPDATE: Verbally agreed to max deal with Magic)
Lewis has given the Orlando Magic a verbal commitment to leave the Seattle SuperSonics and sign a max contract on July 11, according to NBA front-office sources, Marc Stein reported on July 3.

<!--He switched agents during the season, going from Kevin Poston to Tony Dutt in an effort to maximize his earnings. Lewis filed the paperwork to opt out of his contract, foregoing salaries of $10.1 million in '07-08 and $10.9 million in '08-09.
He can get big money from Orlando if the Magic renounce Darko Milicic (which is unlikely), and Charlotte can enter the picture if they decide not to re-sign Gerald Wallace. Otherwise his best hope for a contract with a major starting salary -- a max deal would start above $18 million -- would be through a sign-and-trade.
This will be a major skills test for both Dutt and 30-year-old Sonics general manager Sam Presti, who were expected to speak early July 1 to ascertain how much Seattle is willing to pay to keep Lewis -- an amount that will be impacted by the drafting of Kevin Durant, who plays the same position as Lewis.
Presti says he wants to keep Lewis, but if the money is better elsewhere, sign-and-trade offers could come from New York, Cleveland, Miami, Orlando and Portland. -->
2. Chauncey Billups, Pistons
It was only a few months ago that the Detroit media was reporting that Billups would get a max contract from the Pistons for all of his years of faithful service. But Billups' value took a hit when he struggled in the Eastern Conference finals against Cleveland, and his only hope of leveraging a new deal starting somewhere north of $12 million per year would be through a sign-and-trade.
Agent Andy Miller will try to find such a deal, but the consensus around the league is that Billups staying in Detroit is a virtual lock. One team that could have given Billups some leverage, the Memphis Grizzlies, addressed its point guard needs by drafting Mike Conley.

3. Gerald Wallace, Bobcats
If you want to see graphic evidence of a guy establishing his value, go back and look at the tapes of the Bobcats' final 45 games, when Wallace averaged 21.6 points with 14 double-doubles. Wallace opted out of a contract that would have paid him $6.05 million next season, and he'd command double that if there were a more open market this summer.
Michael Jordan says he wants to keep him in Charlotte, but we'll have to wait and see how open owner Bob Johnson's wallet is going to be now that he's taken on the contract of Jason Richardson. Don't forget, the Bobcats also have to offer an extension to Emeka Okafor.

4. Vince Carter, Nets (UPDATE: Agreed to four-year deal with Nets)
He opted out of his final season, forsaking $16.36 million, but got a new deal from New Jersey, which will give the Nets a little more flexibility under the luxury tax this summer, and it will take care of Carter long-term.

5. Mo Williams, Bucks
If, as everyone believes, Billups is going to return to the Pistons, then Williams will be the best free agent point guard out there during a summer when several teams, including Miami and the Los Angeles Lakers, will be looking to address playmaker needs.
If Williams gets an offer that is more than the Bucks are willing to pay, it'll free up money for Milwaukee to spend elsewhere. But like Billups, Williams lost some leverage when the Grizzlies drafted Conley and the Atlanta Hawks drafted Acie Law.

6. Anderson Varejao, Cavaliers
Yes, he's a restricted free agent, but with the Cavs right up against the luxury tax, it'll cost them double to keep him. In other words, if the Bucks, for instance, were to sign him to an offer sheet with a starting salary of $10 million, it would cost Cleveland $20 million in real dollars to match -- $10 million in salary, and $10 million in luxury tax.

nba_g_milicic_195.jpg
Rocky Widner/NBAE via Getty Images
Darko Milicic won't come cheap for the Magic.

7. Darko Milicic, Magic
His cap hold as of July 1 is $15.6 million, which eats up all of Orlando's space. If they sign the 7-footer at a starting salary of $9 million, they'll still have enough space left to offer an additional free agent more than midlevel money.

If the Magic want to go hard after Lewis, they could work out a sign-and-trade with Seattle, or simply renounce Darko -- the latter option would squeeze the 22-year-old financially.

8. Grant Hill, Magic
All indications still point to him returning to Detroit if Joe Dumars is able to clear Lindsey Hunter, Ronald Dupree and Flip Murray off his cap. If that doesn't happen, expect Toronto, Phoenix and possibly San Antonio to make a push.

9. Steve Blake, Nuggets
If you don't think a half-season of steady play will lead to millions in free-agent riches, look back on the case of Marcus Banks.
Blake had nine games with double-figure assists after being dealt from the Bucks to the Nuggets at midseason. He would seem a perfect fit for the Lakers if they keep Kobe Bryant and are outbid for Theo Papaloukas. The Blazers are also interested, and Blake might want to return to Portland.

10. Andray Blatche, Wizards
If we're judging on youth and upside alone, he's probably in the top tier. He may merit a full midlevel offer sheet, and then it would be a question of whether the Wizards would match (I believe they would in an eyeblink) and how that would impact their decisions on DeShawn Stevenson and Jarvis Hayes.

11. Andres Nocioni, Bulls
His best opportunity to get more than the midlevel would be through a sign-and-trade, though his value was hurt by his poor playoff performance against Detroit. If he signs for the MLE elsewhere, count on the Bulls matching.

12. Jason Kapono, Heat(UPDATE: Agreed to four-year deal with Raptors)
<!--Miami is desperately trying to swing deals, and this is one of the most tradable assets they have. (Jason Williams is borderline untradable, and Antoine Walker is completely untradable.) Look for something of the sign-and-trade variety here.-->

13. Chris Webber, Pistons
Webber's midseason arrival boosted the Pistons to the top spot in the Eastern Conference, but his struggles in the playoffs contributed to Detroit's downfall. Meanwhile, his 34-year-old knees aren't getting any younger. All of which means his future is uncertain -- whether in Detroit, another city or retirement.

14. Jerry Stackhouse, Mavericks
He made $9.3 million last season, and he wants to stay in Dallas. The Mavericks want him back, too, but they're bidding against themselves, which will impact if and how much of a pay cut Stack will take.
15. Luke Walton, Lakers(UPDATE: Agreed to six-year deal with Lakers)

<!--Some of the trade options the Lakers are exploring to placate Kobe Bryant include sign-and-trade deals involving Walton. When we know more about Kobe's future and whether he stays in L.A., we'll know better how the Lakers can best use Walton -- keeping him or sign-and-trading him -- in the immediate future. As a Southern California kid, he would like to stay in L.A.-->16. Theo Papaloukas, CSKA Moscow
The 6-foot-7 guard has drawn interest from several NBA teams, including the Heat, Lakers, Grizzlies and Clippers, and says he wants to give the NBA a shot, but it would take a full midlevel offer to trump what he's making tax-free in Russia. He has a 400,000 euro buyout with CSKA that must be executed by July 15.

17. Mikki Moore, Nets
He said before the playoffs that he'd give New Jersey a hometown discount, but then increased his value substantially in the playoffs, possibly pricing himself out of the Nets' plans. In a market short on unrestricted free-agent centers, Moore could be able to snag a two- or three-year deal for a portion of a team's midlevel exception.

nba_g_pavlovic_275.jpg
Jesse D. Garrabrant/NBAE via Getty Images
If a team wants the Sasha Pavlovic floor model, then the Cavs might have to let him go.

18. Sasha Pavlovic, Cavaliers
He's in a similar situation to Varejao, in that the Cavs would have to pay double if they match any offer he receives. Pavlovic raised his stock substantially with his defensive effort in the playoffs against Vince Carter, Richard Hamilton and Manu Ginobili.

19. Mickael Pietrus, Warriors
A Raptors source told me there was very little chance of Toronto making a move for the French forward, despite reports to the contrary last week. Pietrus recently switched agents, leaving Lon Babby for William McCandless.

20. Desmond Mason, Hornets
It's way down here on the list where we find the best candidates for getting squeezed financially. Mason is one player who should expect a hefty pay cut after making $8.3 million last season.

21. Earl Boykins, Bucks
Opted out of a guaranteed $3 million to go after one last big contract. Enough teams are looking for point guards for him to do better financially than Milwaukee teammate Ruben Patterson, who made $6.8 million last year and will be hard-pressed to find anywhere near that much elsewhere.

22. Matt Barnes, Warriors
He wants to stay in Golden State, which influenced his recent decision to hire agent Dan Fegan, who also represents Jason Richardson (just traded from the Warriors) and teammate Stephen Jackson.

23. DeShawn Stevenson, Wizards
Still trying to make up for his $9 million mistake last summer when he turned that much down from Orlando and then signed for the minimum in Washington.

24. Fabricio Oberto, Spurs
He declined his third-year option late Sunday night, no doubt thinking he'll be able to get some long-term security -- and perhaps a boost from the $2.5 million he was due to make from San Antonio.
He gets the coveted final international player slot, way down here at No. 24.

25. Matt Carroll, Bobcats
After a vagabond career that included a stop in the D-League, Carroll is seeking some long-term security. No, he cannot defend, but he is a tough competitor and an above-average shooter.

Count the Memphis Grizzlies among the teams seriously interested in Bulls forward Andres Nocioni. A source close to Nocioni confirmed Tuesday that Chris Wallace, who recently was appointed the Grizzlies' general manager, has traveled to Argentina to meet with the restricted free agent. ''I'm not commenting until we get this thing done,'' George Bass, Nocioni's agent, said when asked about the Grizzlies' interest. Chicago Sun-Times

Bulls general manager John Paxson said Monday that he wants to re-sign Nocioni. The Bulls have the right to match any offer sheet a team tenders to Nocioni, and Paxson said he will do so. But if a team such as the Grizzlies, who have significant salary-cap room, is willing to pay Nocioni upward of $8 million per season -- about $5 million more than he made last season -- on a long-term deal, Paxson might have to change course. Chicago Sun-Times

Interest In Darko?
Jul 5 - The answer, senior vice president of basketball operations/assistant general manager Tony DiLeo confirmed yesterday, is that they will investigate, saying, "It's our job to be interested." The Sixers have said that their initial priorities are to re-sign unrestricted free-agent forward Joe Smith and to sign Andre Iguodala to an extension. Smith has drawn interest from the Houston Rockets and the Chicago Bulls.
The level of the Sixers' interest would depend largely on Darko Milicic's asking price, which is likely to be beyond their parameters. -- Philadelphia Daily News

while i dont think he'll come to philly (cuz of the money not being there and larry brown being the one who effectively stunted his growth for 2 years) i do think he's gonna be a good player

he showed progress at the end of last year and hes still only like 22 right?

one guy i would like to see the Sixers make a run at is Kyle Lowry

How about Carney for Lowry straight up? They need some athletes and Lowrys redundant with Conley in the fold...and we've got about 19 6'7" swingmen....

Plus it puts Carney back in Memphis and Lowry back in Philly...good fit, no?

Yeah...put Carnival back in memphis..LOL

Darko will be serviable for sure..but to be a big time player he needs to have that will and play better positional defense

bulls have offered noch around 31-38 mil. grizz 40-45.

does noch want to win or get paid a lil more ...

Grizz are really pressing for him...I think Varejao is a better fit for them...uh well

dont get me wrong, i like noch, but im not about overpaying for a player who we showed we can play without when he was out with that planter fascitis (sp?) injury.

if he was healthy the entire season would we have won a few more games probably. is he worth 5 more mil a year than he is make now. imo no. pax offering what he did is fair imo.

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=stathead><TD colSpan=3>Thursday, July 5</TD></TR><TR class=colhead><TD width=65>WHO</TD><TD>WHAT</TD><TD>THE SKINNY</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow vAlign=top><TD noWrap align=middle>
3882.jpg

Andres Nocioni
Bulls
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>$38M Offer On The Table
Jul 5 - The Memphis Grizzlies are weighing their options with interest in Andres Nocioni as well as Cavaliers restricted free agent Anderson Varejao.
A source said the Bulls' five-year offer to Nocioni starts near $6.3 million to $6.4 million for the first season. Factoring in a 10.5 percent increase of the first season's salary annually, the total package sits at approximately $38.1 million to $38.7 million.
The Bulls could increase that offer and also would have seven days to match any offer sheet Nocioni signed with Memphis. GM John Paxson has vowed to match any offers for his hyperactive forward. -- Chicago Tribune
The Grizzlies' unleashed a full-scale recruitment of Chicago's restricted free agent Andres Nocioni. Not only did GM Chris Wallace fly to Argentina to meet with Nocioni to sell Memphis and the Griz, head coach Marc Iavaroni joined the discussions via telephone. Pau Gasol even phoned Nocioni to present a convincing pitch.
The Griz still have not tendered an offer to Nocioni. Chicago would have seven days to match whenever Nocioni receives an offer. -- Memphis Commercial-Appeal
Nocioni may not even agree to sign an offer sheet because that would limit his options this summer. Once the Bulls match an offer, Nocioni still could be traded after Dec. 15 with his permission, but he could not go to the team that tendered the offer sheet. Nocioni enjoys playing for the Bulls, but he also realizes he could have a greater role on a different team, since the Bulls already have Luol Deng at small forward. -- Arlington Heights Daily Herald

3513.jpg

Pau Gasol
Grizzlies
</TD><TD>Trade Rumor
</TD><TD>A Complete Fabrication
Jul 5 - Bulls GM John Paxson, said he has had no recent talks with the Grizzlies concerning a trade for Pau Gasol.
A newspaper report Wednesday suggested such talk was at "the preliminary stages," which Paxson flatly denied. "I have not had one conversation concerning Gasol," said Paxson, who called the story -- which floated a deal of Andres Nocioni, Joakim Noah, Chris Duhon and other considerations for the 7-foot Grizzlies forward -- "a complete fabrication." -- Chicago Sun-Times
Pau Gasol remains a target and could be involved in a sign-and-trade deal for Andres Nocioni.
If Minnesota decides to trade Kevin Garnett this summer, the Bulls are expected to make an offer. Paxson also is pursuing veteran big men Chris Mihm and Joe Smith in free agency and is interested in acquiring the rights to Spanish league power forward Luis Scola from San Antonio.
League sources believe the Grizzlies may be prepared to revamp their front line by signing Anderson Varejao and trading Gasol to the Bulls for a package including Nocioni and draft pick Joakim Noah. The Bulls are expected to have only mild interest in Orlando center Darko Milicic. -- Arlington Heights Daily Herald

3847.jpg

Anderson Varejao
Cavaliers
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Cavs Face Decision On Varejao
Jul 5 - A league source said power forward Anderson Varejao could sign an offer sheet from the Memphis Grizzlies that will pay him more than the mid-level exception, which is expected to be between $5.5 million and $6 million.
However, the Grizzlies, who have slightly more than $8 million to spend, also are reportedly courting Chicago's Andres Nocioni.
The Cavaliers would have the right to match that offer and almost certainly would, but they are not thrilled with the idea of paying Varejao, a reserve, more than starting power forward Drew Gooden, who will make $6.4 million next season. For that reason, the source said, the Cavaliers have been listening to offers involving big men Varejao, Gooden, Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Donyell Marshall. -- Medina Gazette

3339.jpg

Ron Artest
Kings
</TD><TD>Magic?
</TD><TD>Next Target: Artest?
Jul 5 - With Rashard Lewis just days away from signing a five-year, $75 million free agent deal with the Magic, Hedo Turkoglu could very well be the odd man out on the Magic's roster. And apparently Orlando has already looked into trading the mild-mannered Turkoglu for a drastically different sort of player. The Sacramento Bee, quoting an unnamed source, reported Wednesday that the Magic have inquired about the availability of volatile forward Ron Artest. The proposed deal would reunite Turkoglu with the Kings, the franchise he played with for the first three years of his career, and would send Artest back East to give Orlando a much-needed attitude adjustment. -- Florida Today

2626.jpg

Grant Hill
Magic
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Suns Expecting To Land Hill
Jul 5 - The Suns are not only expecting to hear an answer from free agent Grant Hill today, they expect to hear the one they want. The Suns believe strongly that Hill will tell them he has decided to join them for the coming season. Hill can't sign anywhere before Wednesday, but he and his agent, Lon Babby, have been speaking with Suns GM Steve Kerr since free agency contact began Saturday night. -- Arizona Republic

sea.gif

Seattle
</TD><TD>Sign-And-Trade
</TD><TD>No Casey, No Deal?
Jul 5 - League sources say Rashard Lewis' camp might have agreed to a sign-and-trade had the Sonics hired Dwane Casey as their coach instead of former San Antonio assistant P.J. Carlesimo, because of Lewis' affection for Casey. -- Seattle Times
was.gif

Washington
</TD><TD>Trades?
</TD><TD>Navarro Drawing Interest, Thomas Hard To Trade
Jul 5 - A day after it was reported guard Juan Carlos Navarro would be allowed to negotiate his way out of his contract with FC Barcelona to join the Washington Wizards, team president Ernie Grunfeld said he already has received calls from six or seven teams regarding the Spanish player.
Grunfeld would not identify those teams, but a league source said Cleveland and Memphis, among others, might be interested in the 6-foot-3 guard.
"[Navarro] is obviously a good player," Grunfeld said. "He has been one of the best international players over the last five years. He"s a very good offensive player with a very good shot." -- Washington Times
Meanwhile, the Wizards continue to negotiate with the agents representing free agent shooting guard DeShawn Stevenson and restricted free agent forward Andray Blatche.
According to league sources, the Wizards are considering possible trades involving centers Etan Thomas and Brendan Haywood. However, a source indicated that Thomas's contract contains a hefty trade kicker that would push his salary to about $7.3 million next season, and that has caused several teams to reconsider trade proposals for the veteran center. -- Washington Post
I do not believe that the Wiz view this whole thing as a JCN or DeShawn Stevenson situation. Ideally, they want to keep DeShawn and keep the door open to adding JCN if the money works out. The big question right now is, how do the Carroll and Kapono contracts relate to DeShawn's contract expectations? DeShawn wants as much of that ML as he get. The Wiz want to keep him but feel they have to do so at their price. -- Washington Post

sac.gif

Sacramento
</TD><TD>Trades, Free Agency
</TD><TD>Nothing Going
Jul 5 - Geoff Petrie said Wednesday the Kings had nothing going from a trade standpoint. The team still is deliberating on whether to use its entire mid-level exception (approximately $6 million), some of it or none of it.
"At some point, you have to take a philosophical stance, and if you keep adding four- and five-year or five- and six-year contracts, it makes it a lot more difficult to get there. Potentially, on a two-year horizon, we can naturally arrive there. The exception is if something comes up you think is really good, I think you still do that." Petrie said attempting to get that real room following the 2008-09 season is what he is looking to do at this point. -- Sacramento Bee

3705.jpg

Darko Milicic
Magic
</TD><TD>Trade, Free Agency
</TD><TD>Interest In Darko?
Jul 5 - The answer, senior vice president of basketball operations/assistant general manager Tony DiLeo confirmed yesterday, is that they will investigate, saying, "It's our job to be interested."
The Sixers have said that their initial priorities are to re-sign unrestricted free-agent forward Joe Smith and to sign Andre Iguodala to an extension. Smith has drawn interest from the Houston Rockets and the Chicago Bulls.
The level of the Sixers' interest would depend largely on Darko Milicic's asking price, which is likely to be beyond their parameters. -- Philadelphia Daily News
Darko Milicic, anybody? Mr. Enigma isn't everybody's cup of tea, but I've heard that he's on Don Nelson's maybe-list for big-man pursuit. Milicic is very available now that Orlando has agreed to sign Rashard Lewis and pulled its offer for Milicic. If the Kevin Garnett talks stall again, or if Chris Mullin and Nelson conjure ideas of a KG/Darko front line, Milicic could be a big Warriors factor. -- San Jose Mercury News

3125.jpg

Derek Fisher
Jazz
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Fisher Makes Griz Wish List
Jul 5 - The Griz are interested in veteran Derek Fisher and will explore the possibility of adding the Little Rock native to the roster.
The Utah Jazz agreed to release Fisher from his contract Monday so he can concentrate on finding the best care for his 11-month-old daughter, Tatum, who was diagnosed with retinoblastoma, a cancerous tumor in her left eye. Memphis is one of six or seven cities Fisher is researching as a destination regarding medical care for his daughter. New York, Miami, Cleveland, and Los Angeles are also options for Fisher. -- Memphis Commercial-Appeal

orl.gif

Orlando
</TD><TD>2005 Draft Pick
</TD><TD>Mathematical Improbability?
Jul 5 - Fran Vazquez, the Magic's international man of mystery, was already a longshot to ever play a NBA game in Orlando. Now, the odds might be an off-the-charts mathematical improbability.
Vazquez, the Spaniard who stiffed the Magic following the 2005 NBA Draft so he could play in Europe, is represented by agent Marc Cornstein. Cornstein is irate with Magic GM Otis Smith for leading his client, Darko Milicic, to believe that Orlando was intent on bringing him back next season. Milicic, a restricted free agent, was fully expecting a contract offer from the Magic on July 1, especially after hearing Smith say for weeks that he was a top priority this summer. -- Florida Today

cha.gif

Charlotte
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Carroll Reaches Agreement, Wallace Next?
Jul 5 - On Wednesday, Matt Carroll agreed to a contract and the team is growing more and more confident Gerald Wallace will agree to a contract soon.
Carroll agreed to a six-year contract worth approximately $27 million, his agent confirmed Wednesday.
"We had a lot of choices," said Carroll's agent, Paul Nadel. "But Matt wanted to keep his family in Charlotte. The contract and structure of the contract are set to help out Charlotte in later years with its salary cap flexibility." Meanwhile, sources within the Bobcats organization are getting more and more hopeful an announcement will soon be made on the re-signing of Wallace. -- Gaston Gazette

chi.gif

Chicago
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Meetings Set
Jul 5 - 76ers forward Joe Smith is scheduled to meet with John Paxson and coach Scott Skiles today at the Berto Center, and Lakers center Chris Mihm is scheduled to visit Saturday. Paxson still is awaiting word from Bulls forward/center P.J. Brown on whether the unrestricted free agent wants to play another season. -- Chicago Sun-Times

3830.jpg

Sebastian Telfair
Celtics
</TD><TD>Offcourt Issues
</TD><TD>Reality Check
Jul 5 - After working out with the Celtics summer league team yesterday, Sebastian Telfair dutifully stood and answered the questions. No, the gun wasn't his. Yes, his Florida license was valid, but two New York tickets from his high school days were to blame for its suspended status. "I'm the one who put myself in that situation, so if I want to understand why people are saying things, I have to look at myself," Telfair said. "I kind of got a reality check by getting into trouble the way I did and the situation I was in. That kind of took me a step backward image-wise, but as a person and as a player, I'm not crying that it happened because I feel it made me look at some things that are going to help me in the long run." -- Boston Herald

3741.jpg

Steve Blake
Nuggets
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Blake Seeks $6 Million
Jul 5 - According to a league source, Steve Blake, who is reportedly seeking a full mid-level exception - expected to be $6 million - is not out of the Nuggets' reach.
Blake is being patient while the market determines his value. Once point guards such as Detroit's Chauncey Billups and Milwaukee's Mo Williams are signed, the picture becomes clearer.
Meanwhile, the Nuggets have targeted several point guards as possible replacements. Among those are former Charlotte guard Brevin Knight, former New Orleans guard Devin Brown and former Memphis guard Chucky Atkins. The Nuggets have called agent Bill Neff to inquire about L.A. Clippers guard Jason Hart. -- Denver Post

dal.gif

Dallas
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Negotiations Move Slowly
Jul 5 - Donnie Nelson, the Mavericks' president of basketball operations, said the free-agent process continues to move gradually. Some of the available free agents the Mavs have interest in are Gerald Wallace, who would require a sign-and-trade with Charlotte; P.J. Brown (Chicago), who is out of the country and considering retirement; Mikki Moore (New Jersey); James Posey (Miami); and Matt Barnes (Golden State).
Re-signing Jerry Stackhouse is still top priority, a process Nelson said continues to move forward. Bringing back Devean George also remains a possibility. An Internet report Wednesday suggested that owner Mark Cuban is pushing trade talks for Minnesota's Kevin Garnett, but an NBA source said the Mavs are not interested in making any big deals at this time. -- Fort Worth Star-Telegram

3867.jpg

Vassilis Spanoulis
Rockets
</TD><TD>Contract Dispute
</TD><TD>Rockets Days Over?
Jul 5 - After one largely disappointing season with the Rockets, guard Vassilis Spanoulis said there will not be another.
Spanoulis said Wednesday he and his agent have constantly told the Rockets he will not leave Greece for a second season in the NBA, or to play for another team in Europe.
Spanoulis' agent, Miodrag Raznatovic, said he and Spanoulis have told the Rockets 10 times since the end of the season that Spanoulis will never return to play for the Rockets and that nothing would change his mind. "He told them 10 times, 'I am not coming back,' " Raznatovic said. "In the beginning, it was between him and Jeff Van Gundy. Now it is not. He didn't adjust to the American way of living. 'I cannot survive. I must stay at my home.'" -- Houston Chronicle

gsw.gif

Golden State
</TD><TD>EuroBasket 2007
</TD><TD>Serbian Boss Blasts Perovic
Jul 5 - Golden State Warriors-bound Kosta Perovic is feeling the heat in Serbia after withdrawing from his country's preliminary squad for EuroBasket 2007.
"If I want to play basketball at the highest level, I have to make some important decisions for my career," Perovic said.
"Some of those individuals have publicly said to their people, 'We don't care about you, or your needs'," Dragan Kapicic said. -- SportsTicker
Serbian basketball supremo Dragan Kapicic has launched a stinging rebuke of Kosta Perovic and Zoran Erceg after the duo's withdrawal from the national squad.
"This is not a catastrophe," Kapicic said. "But this is a shame. "It's some kind of obstruction of our association, of our national team, but also a message to our state." -- FIBA.com

phi.gif

Philadelphia
</TD><TD>Mini-Camp
</TD><TD>Feeling The Strain
Jul 5 - Derrick Byars has a left quadriceps strain that he suffered about 10 days ago while going through predraft workouts.
Point guard Gerry McNamara, a former Syracuse star, suffered a sprained right ankle late in practice and will be reevaluated today.
It has been a rude awakening for many players, especially the rookies coming right out of college. "Trust me, I realize that already," said Thaddeus Young, the Sixers' No. 12 pick in the first round. "With all the running, I'm kind of sore in the legs." -- Philadelphia Inquirer

cle.gif

Cleveland
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Quick Shots
Jul 5 - The Cavs are exploring ways to find that point guard via trades or in free agency.
Regardless of what happens with Sasha Pavlovic, the Cavs could sign veteran swingman Mo Peterson. Many envision him as being a perfect sixth man on a contending team.
Greek point guard Theo Papaloukas has reportedly gotten an offer to remain overseas. The Cavs reportedly had interest in the 6-foot-7 Olympic star. -- Willoughby News-Herald
It's not exactly shocking news, but the source said the Cavaliers have been involving veteran guard David Wesley, who is not in their plans at all, in any and all deals. Wesley is slated to make $1.75 million in 2007-08, but not all the money is guaranteed. -- Medina Gazette

19008.jpg

Renaldas Seibutis
</TD><TD>2007 Draft Pick
</TD><TD>Seibutis Signs New Deal
Jul 5 - Lithuanian guard Renaldas Seibutis, a second-round pick of the Dallas Mavericks in last week's NBA draft, has signed a new three-year contract with Olympiacos. The Greek giants announced the signing on their web site, bringing back the 6-5 guard. Seibutis will stay on the team until 2010 and holds the right to buy out only for the NBA and not for any other European club. -- SportsTicker

3882.jpg

Andres Nocioni
Bulls
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Griz Bid Falls Short
Jul 6 - Andres Nocioni likely will re-sign with the Chicago Bulls because the Grizzlies verbally indicated an offer that is in the same neighborhood as what the Bulls are ready to pay in order to keep the 6-7 forward.
Chicago's offer on the table is a five-year, $38 million deal. It is believed the Griz came in lower -- closer to a figure starting at about the mid-level exception ($5.5 million).
Griz GM Chris Wallace insisted Wednesday that the Griz hadn't tendered an offer to any free agents, contradicting an Argentinian newspaper report that said Memphis offered Nocioni a $46 million deal. -- Memphis Commercial-Appeal
Barring an unforeseen change of philosophy, league sources said the Grizzlies, who have made an oral offer not much better than the Bulls' written offer, wouldn't increase their pursuit of Nocioni.
While nothing is official until Nocioni signs, all signs point to Nocioni accepting Bulls GM John Paxson's five-year deal worth near $38 million, perhaps within days. A $46 million offer might give Paxson pause. As of late Thursday, however, all indications were that the Grizzlies, who also are considering Cavaliers' restricted free agent Anderson Varejao, were prepared to move on. -- Chicago Tribune

mil.gif

Milwaukee
</TD><TD>2007 Draft Pick
</TD><TD>Harris Hopes To Meet With Yi
Jul 6 - Milwaukee Bucks GM Larry Harris arrived in Las Vegas on Thursday, and he was intent on meeting with first-round draft pick Yi Jianlian.
The 7-foot forward also was in Las Vegas, preparing with the Chinese national team to compete in the NBA Summer League. Yi has had little to say about his NBA future since being selected by the Bucks with the No. 6 overall pick in the June 28 draft. His representatives, including his Chinese agent, Zhao Gang, have said they hoped the Bucks would consider trading Yi. -- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

3705.jpg

Darko Milicic
Magic
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Smith Still Wants Darko
Jul 6 - Orlando GM Otis Smith said Thursday that despite the bitter feelings expressed toward him by Darko Milicic's agent, the Magic still would like to work a deal to bring back Milicic.
"Yes, sure," Smith said. "I've said it all along: We like Darko. I'd like to think the deal could work out for both sides, but I don't know."
The Magic still can re-sign Milicic or receive some compensation, but it's a long shot. Smith said he still was trying to work a sign-and-trade deal for Lewis with the Seattle SuperSonics to create enough cap room to sign Milicic, who played the past 11/2 seasons with the Magic. -- Orlando Sentinel
"I've said from the start that I'd like to keep Darko here and I've never wavered from that feeling," Smith said Thursday. "It may not have appeared that way at times with the process that we've used, but I didn't feel like I had to disclose my process to everybody. It's just unfortunate that it came to the name-calling that it did."
"I've said all along that we had to be creative with our financing," Smith said. Smith said he has tried mending the relationship with Milicic's camp by leaving phone messages with Marc Cornstein. -- Florida Today

3515.jpg

Jason Richardson
Bobcats
</TD><TD>Trade
</TD><TD>Anger Not Aimed At Bobcats
Jul 6 - It was shock and anger, directed at the Golden State Warriors, not disrespect, directed at the Charlotte Bobcats.
That was Jason Richardson's take Thursday on his reaction to the Warriors dealing him to the Bobcats. He did his best, during a half-hour conference call with Charlotte media, to dispel the perception he's unhappy about being a Bobcat. "They have a lot of guys who play hard. That's the first thing you look at in a team stepping up," he said. -- Charlotte Observer

3422.jpg

DeShawn Stevenson
Wizards
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>$12M Offer
Jul 6 - Wizards sources confirmed that the team offered unrestricted free agent shooting guard DeShawn Stevenson a four-year deal worth approximately $12 million. -- Washington Post
3847.jpg

Anderson Varejao
Cavaliers
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Let The Process Play Out
Jul 6 - There is wide-spread speculation that if the Grizzlies fail to get Andres Nocioni, they will target Anderson Varejao.
Here is the thing, it would be hard to believe Varejao would get the same offer as Nocioni because he's an energy rebounder, not an offensive threat in addition to a talented defender like Nocioni. Even if Varejao gets a deal that averages $7-$8 million, it seems the Cavs will likely match even if it is a bit of an overpay.
Expect Cavs GM Danny Ferry to let the process play out with Varejao and Sasha Pavlovic. Last year, he waited all summer on Drew Gooden. -- Akron Beacon-Journal Agent Dan Fegan, they will tell you, was stretching the truth a bit, perhaps in an attempt to get one of the other teams in the league with significant cap space -- Charlotte or Milwaukee-- to enter the bidding. If tha''s true, it would be great news for the Cavaliers, who want to keep Varejao, but don't want to pay him more than the mid-level exception -- it is expected to be between $5.5 million and $6 million -- in the first year of his contract. -- Medina Gazette

3956.jpg

David Lee
Knicks
</TD><TD>Trade For Artest
</TD><TD>Would Lee Seal The Deal?
Jul 6 - If the Knicks are to land forward Ron Artest in a trade this summer -- one of their remaining summer goals -- they will have to package a couple of prospects. The one young Knick who could seal the deal is David Lee, as Isiah Thomas ponders whether to make him available for the former Defensive Player of the Year who carries lots of baggage. Lee could be packaged with either Jared Jeffries or Malik Rose to make the deal work under collective bargaining agreement mathematics. -- New York Post

orl.gif

Orlando
</TD><TD>Roster
</TD><TD>No Worries
Jul 6 - Magic GM Otis Smith said he has no worries that there will be duplication with Rashard Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu, both 6-fot-10 forwards who prefer to play on the perimeter. He also shot down a Sacramento Bee report that the Magic could trade Turkoglu for troubled Kings forward Ron Artest. "I like our team a lot and in my opinion you can never have too much offense on the floor," Smith said. "You want your team to be flexible, and I think we have with the roster we have now." -- Florida Today

19020.jpg

Greg Oden
</TD><TD>ESPY Awards
</TD><TD>Oden Won't Play Against Lakers
Jul 6 - Greg Oden is expected to miss one of the Blazers' five summer-league games. The Blazers say he will not play Wednesday against the L.A. Lakers because he'll be in Hollywood, Calif., for the taping of the annual ESPY Awards. Oden, Seattle's Kevin Durant, Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith and Missouri wrestler Ben Askren are the nominees for Best Male College Athlete at the awards that air July 15. -- Portland Tribune

3125.jpg

Derek Fisher
Jazz
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Not About The Money
Jul 6 - Before deciding where he'll play, though, agent Mark Bartelstein said Derek Fisher will continue to focus foremost on determining precisely where Tatum can receive the best care.
"People are making it seem like this is about money," Bartelstein said Thursday, "but just the exact opposite is true. "We haven't talked about money with anybody," the Chicago-based agent added. "I was asked by a reporter in Los Angeles what I thought Derek was worth, and my answer was 'worth a lot more than the midlevel,' because he just walked away from that. But we haven't asked for anything from anybody. His interest right now is finding the right place for his daughter, and then we'll go from there." -- Deseret Morning News

was.gif

Washington
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Wizards Will Be Patient
Jul 6 - Washington is waiting to see how the market plays out regarding guard DeShawn Stevenson, an unrestricted free agent, and forward Andray Blatche, a restricted one. The Wizards want to keep both players, but have opted to be patient. They picked up a possible trading chip with Juan Carlos Navarro's Spanish team, FC Barcelona, recently lowering his buyout clause to around $1.5 million, of which the Wizards, or whomever they trade him to, would be responsible for $500,000. At least five teams have contacted Washington about a possible trade for the 6-foot-3 guard. -- Washington Examiner

3741.jpg

Steve Blake
Nuggets
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Big Decision
Jul 6 - Miami Lakes resident Cindy Blake, the mother of free agent guard Steve Blake, had a request Thursday for the Heat's president and coach.
"If anyone talks to Pat Riley, put in a good word for Steve," she said. "We really want him back home." "I hope Miami is the one, and I know he would love to play for Miami," Cindy Blake said. "But he knows wherever he goes, this will be the biggest contract of his career and the biggest decision. He'll lean toward the best money and opportunity." -- Miami Herald

bos.gif

Boston
</TD><TD>Trades, Free Agency
</TD><TD>Ainge Not Done
Jul 6 - Danny Ainge insisted he wasn't dancing around the specifics yesterday, but he managed to make a strong point with one sentence.
"We're obviously not done with our roster yet," he said.
The Celts appear to be letting the marketplace shake out a bit (there are tremors with Jason Kapono reportedly getting $24 million over four years), but Ainge said he's not been idle. "We're not close to doing anything, but we've been looking at a lot of players who could be a good fit for us," he added. "We're looking at a lot of free agents at all different levels -- sign-and-trade free agents and mid-level guys. We're also looking at what trades might be out there that could work for us." -- Boston Herald

chi.gif

Chicago
</TD><TD>Mini-Camp, Free Agency
</TD><TD>Hands Full
Jul 6 - Bulls GM John Paxson and coach Scott Skiles had their hands full Thursday.
It was the beginning of a four-day camp for the Bulls' summer-league team, and they hosted Philadelphia 76ers free-agent forward Joe Smith. Paxson also spent part of his day continuing to work on re-signing restricted-free-agent forward Andres Nocioni, who is being pursued by the Memphis Grizzlies.
It will be more of the same today. The Bulls host New Jersey Nets free-agent forward Mikki Moore, a visit that coincides with two more practices for the summer-league team. The team kicked off the camp with a session Thursday evening and will have two more practices Saturday and one Sunday, after which it travels to Orlando, Fla., for league play. -- Chicago Sun-Times
"(The Nets) still want to re-sign him," said Mark Bartelstein, Moore's Chicago-based agent. "That's part of free agency. You have to see what's out there. He fits in well with the Bulls? system." The Bulls will probably have to use most, if not all, of the midlevel exception worth about $5.2 million to land Smith, Moore or Chris Mihm. -- Arlington Heights Daily Herald

3005.jpg

Jerry Stackhouse
Mavericks
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Done Deal
Jul 6 - Jerry Stackhouse said the two sides had reached an agreement in principle on a contract to keep the sixth man with the Mavericks. Sources on both sides said the deal is for three years and the salary will start at more than the mid-level exception, which is expected to be about $6 million. If it starts at $7 million, the deal would be worth nearly $24 million for three seasons.
It was not immediately known if any option years, either for the team or for Stackhouse, were included in the deal. "The deal is done," Stackhouse said. "I'm happy to be staying put. [Mavs owner] Mark [Cuban] and the organization stepped up for me and I'm really proud of that. Now we need to get a ring." -- Dallas Morning News

3420.jpg

Morris Peterson
Raptors
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Peterson To Visit Sunday
Jul 6 - The Jazz's pursuit of free-agent swingman Morris Peterson is expected to include a visit to Utah for the longtime Toronto Raptor. Peterson, it's believed, will be in Salt Lake City beginning Sunday for a visit with Jazz brass. The Michigan State product is seen as a potential successor to veteran Derek Fisher, who won't be back next season as Utah's starting shooting guard. -- Deseret Morning News

pho.gif

Phoenix
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Roster Almost Set
Jul 6 - The Suns may be done in free agency except for re-signing Sean Marks and using the 13th roster spot for a player such as second-round pick D.J. Strawberry or summer league pickup Pape Sow. Free-agent big men like Chris Mihm or P.J. Brown could be pursued if the Suns were to trade Kurt Thomas, who will make $8.1 million this season. -- Arizona Republic

3947.jpg

Nate Robinson
Knicks
</TD><TD>Roster Spot
</TD><TD>Odd Man Out?
Jul 6 - The Knicks announced their summer-league roster yesterday. The lone surprise was Nate Robinson, who likely is being showcased. The Knicks' acquisition last week of guards Dan Dickau, Fred Jones and Demitris Nichols makes Robinson's future unclear. Even if no trade is made, Robinson, who's in the last year of his contract, could be the odd man out in training camp. The Knicks have 17 players -- two above the maximum. -- New York Post

sac.gif

Sacramento
</TD><TD>Roster Moves
</TD><TD>Petrie Not Revealing Game Plan
Jul 6 - Kings fans desperately want to know. Give them a sign, a signal, or heck, send them a telegram: Can the club's basketball president immediately initiate the process -- with a series of shrewd, significant moves for younger, promising players who are capable of growing collectively -- without exacerbating an already problematic team payroll situation? Or is this going to be two years of doing penance while praying for another Greg Oden?
Geoff Petrie isn't saying. But he's looking. He's looking hard. "A lot of the center of gravity is going to be here for the next eight or 10 days," Petrie said, "so there will be ample opportunity to talk to other teams, watch players on your own team, as well as players on other teams. Things could surface that are unknown as of now. And you can start signing (free agents) and trading players on the 11th." -- Sacramento Bee

was.gif

Washington
</TD><TD>Sign-And-Trade
</TD><TD>Teams Eye Navarro
Jul 6 - Don't understate the Heat's interest in Spanish guard Juan Carlos Navarro. A sign-and-trade with the Wizards for James Posey makes some sense, considering Washington's need for defensive toughness. The Heat front office has had an eye on Navarro for a while. -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel
The Cavs may have interest in both Navarro and Wizards' restricted free agent Andray Blatche, whom they have partial Bird rights to so they won't have to use part of the exception with him. So it wouldn't be surprising if the Cavs and Wizards had some talks over this issue. The Wizards seem to be looking to move Etan Thomas and/or Brendan Haywood. -- Akron Beacon-Journal
"I don't know which team he will sign for, but all I would like to say is a thank you to Barcelona for allowing him to go," Pau Gasol said.
Acquiring Navarro could make all the difference to Gasol, who has been mentioned in trade talks with different teams. "I want to remain outside this issue but of course, I would love to play with him," Gasol admitted. -- SportsTicker

3955.jpg

Wayne Simien
Heat
</TD><TD>Left Knee
</TD><TD>Simien Hurt Again
Jul 6 - Wayne Simien's run of bad luck with his health continued Thursday when the Heat forward underwent surgery on his left knee. The team said Simien had a debridement of the joint after suffering the injury while preparing for next week's summer league. He is expected to be out four to six weeks and again will miss valuable summer playing time. -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel

3311.jpg

Earl Boykins
Bucks
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Boykins Not The Answer For Cavs
Jul 6 - Many fans in Northeast Ohio are clamoring for a return of Earl Boykins to the Cavaliers.
Unfortunately for them, it's probably not going to happen.
The Cavs are looking for the right guard who can control the tempo and run the team. They are also concerned about bringing in anyone who will take minutes away from Daniel Gibson and Shannon Brown, who are both entering their second year in the league. -- Willoughby News-Herald

dal.gif

Dallas
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Focus On Other Areas
Jul 6 - Re-signing Jerry Stackhouse, who will be entering his 13th NBA season, was the Mavs' top priority in free agency. Now they'll focus on other areas, such as possibly re-signing veteran swingman Devean George. The Mavs are also believed to be interested in free agents Gerald Wallace (Charlotte), P.J. Brown (Chicago), James Posey (Miami) and Matt Barnes (Golden State). -- Fort Worth Star-Telegram

den.gif

Denver
</TD><TD>2005 Draft Pick
</TD><TD>Hervelle's On The Clock
Jul 6 - Axel Hervelle's time is now.
According to Nuggets coach George Karl, it is time for the team to take a real look at its 2005 second-round draft pick and come to a conclusion on whether he has a future in Denver. "It's a process of evaluation of when does he want to come here, and we're going to spend some time with him on and off the court and see if we can work out a situation for him," Karl said Thursday. "My gut feeling says from what I know of him, the situation is time for us to make a decision and move on and give him his opportunity or let him have his opportunity (elsewhere) in the NBA." -- Denver Post

3673.jpg

Devin Brown
Hornets
</TD><TD>Free Agency
</TD><TD>Five Teams Contact Brown
Jul 6 - Devin Brown, who expressed a desire to re-sign with the Hornets, has been contacted by five teams, a league source said Thursday. It appears the Hornets are waiting to see what the market dictates before they decide if they will offer Brown a contract. Brown said last week that everyone affiliated with him was pushing for his return to the Hornets, and he instructed his agent to negotiate only with New Orleans before exploring other offers. Now there is a chance, according to the league source, that Brown will begin serious negotiations with all teams interested. -- New Orleans Times-Picayune

Grizz are really pressing for him...I think Varejao is a better fit for them...uh well

Everything sets up nicely for Varejao to Memphis now. He's definately a better fit for them.

Chicago Bulls forward Andres Nocioni has agreed to a five-year contract worth about $38 million, the Chicago Tribune reported Friday.
The deal can't become official until the NBA's moratorium on free agent signings ends July 11. But Bulls general manager John Paxson confirmed the deal is in place, the Tribune reported.
According to sources, the contract includes a team option for a sixth season, the newspaper reported.

Back