Offseason Thread (trades, free agents, rumors, etc)

Texas has one of the higher payrolls in baseball so thats a terrible example but congrats to Arizona for bucking the odds and making it there. Still doesn't change the fact that there has been one small market team that has won the World Series this century.
It's not even a conversation if you somehow consider Houston and Texas as big markets. That's more a Midwest argument than a market argument. Payrolls come and go, hell who thought the Padres would ever spend what they did? Now the Snakes are spending.

Again, you compared it to soccer, not me. Leicester is the only non big 6 team to win the PL this century. Not gonna look it up but there are more than 6 franchises that have won a WS since 2000

It's not even a conversation if you somehow consider Houston and Texas as big markets. That's more a Midwest argument than a market argument. Payrolls come and go, hell who thought the Padres would ever spend what they did? Now the Snakes are spending.

Again, you compared it to soccer, not me. Leicester is the only non big 6 team to win the PL this century. Not gonna look it up but there are more than 6 franchises that have won a WS since 2000
There is no one that would consider Texas to be a small market in baseball or anything else. It doesn't matter because nothing will change until the small market owners demand it and most of them are probably happy to be like the A's and make a lot of money while losing 100 plus games.

Before I get accused of being a small market shill I am a fan of several big market such as the New York Rangers and I am quite happy that they have to compete on an even playing field with every other team.

There is no one that would consider Texas to be a small market in baseball or anything else. It doesn't matter because nothing will change until the small market owners demand it and most of them are probably happy to be like the A's and make a lot of money while losing 100 plus games.
You at least inspired me to look up payrolls and while most WS winners in the last 20 years have had a top ten payroll, only twice has one of the top two payroll teams won it. Pretty interesting.

Fwiw I would love to see a cap in bases but the constant bitching from fans in the Midwest is annoying. Owners of all teams are wealthy, playing the small market card is just a talking/complaining piece for me. Revenue sharing is insane and some of these dbags thrive on it while not reinvesting it into their little projects. No one requires them to be low payroll teams.

I guess 15 million for 2 years buys the Blue Jays Isiah Kiner Falefa. Kind of makes me happy that my team is too broke to afford deals like this.

Back