Offseason Thread (trades, free agents, rumors, etc)

I'll end it but the subject is going to be brought up when anyone signs a 10 yr / 700 million dollar contract.
Yeah but it's obvious and can be played out on a bunch of platforms man. I kinda want to know how people think it's affecting the wagering mindset.

Canes has made the most thought provoking post since, the pitching is a complete question mark.

Yeah but it's obvious and can be played out on a bunch of platforms man. I kinda want to know how people think it's affecting the wagering mindset.

Canes has made the most thought provoking post since, the pitching is a complete question mark.
Dodgers can't stop now and have to get two starting pitchers possibly Yamamoto and a trade for Burnes but as of today they don't have nearly enough pitching.

The Dodgers can really use bullpen help as well now that I think of it so if they are willing to pay the price they can have Devin Williams along with Burnes.

Yamamoto is going to get over 300 million before throwing one pitch in MLB which in many ways is even more ridiculous than the Ohtani deal.
Not really. A 25 yr old who projects as a #1 never hits the open market.

When 3/4 starters are getting 15 - 20 mm a year, that is the market for those type of pitchers.

Dodgers can't stop now and have to get two starting pitchers possibly Yamamoto and a trade for Burnes but as of today they don't have nearly enough pitching.
I would agree with this. Ohtani only first piece of puzzle, not the final.
Be interesting to see their next moves and will only drive Yamamoto price higher.

Imagine what Sasaki gets.

Not really. A 25 yr old who projects as a #1 never hits the open market.

When 3/4 starters are getting 15 - 20 mm a year, that is the market for those type of pitchers.
The Mets just signed severino for 13, who had like a 6 ERA

• Haha
Reactions: KJ
Wish Brewers was a Mets fan so he could just start a Jets/Mets thread

That’s me. It’s been a wonderful life.
My early college years were yearning for an Arena Football title in Des Moines

That was pro football for me for a couple minutes. Missed the first week of classes one semester doing the Iowa Barnstormers thing.

And yes, Warner was our QB...got so stoned with the local NBC weather chick at the Arena BOWL we lost, she was a row behind us and brought a fukkin' tree

That is literally insane. The Dodgers are going to pay him 2 million a season for the next ten years and the rest is deferred. I have never even heard of anything like this.

Is that the most team friendly contract in sports history?

That is literally insane. The Dodgers are going to pay him 2 million a season for the next ten years and the rest is deferred. I have never even heard of anything like this.

Is that the most team friendly contract in sports history?
This is a bullshit way to get around the luxury taxes.

This is a bullshit way to get around the luxury taxes.
Its unique to him basically. He is making like 50 mil plus a year in endorsements. I guess this was all his idea too.

Im a Dodgers guy and I can agree, this must feel shady as hell to everyone else

Its unique to him basically. He is making like 50 mil plus a year in endorsements. I guess this was all his idea too.

Of course its shady but congrats on getting the player. I lose more interest in the sport every year knowing only a handful of teams have a real chance of winning a championship.

Take a different dude to defer all that money. Time value of $ says that $680 mill 10 years from now isn’t worth as much as $680 mm today.
Something of this magnitude is a one off

He is also now a secured debt holder for the franchise to the tune of around 20% of the franchise’s value. You might take a guess how that could get settled up in a decade.

He is getting significantly less $ because he is receiving 68m a year of 2024 dollars in years 2034-44. He’s not receiving any interest on the money.

If baseball had a commissioner worth a damn the Dodgers would be charged the full 70 million a season for tax purposes but Manfred is a puppet of the large market owners.

If baseball had a Commissioner worth a damn the Dodgers would be charged the full 70 million a season for tax purposes but Manfred is a puppet of the large market owners.
Reality is by avoiding the luxury tax which likely would be in the 50% range (I assume they'd be over for 3+ consecutive years) that's really just taking a ton of money away from the other 29 teams. I guess LAD played within the rule book but 29 other ownership groups have to be pretty pissed off about this.

Dodgers deal for Tyler Glasnow and immediately extend him. 5 years 135 mil. If he stays healthy thats a huge bargain. Major injury concerns though. I still do not think they are done.

Reactions: KJ
Dodgers deal for Tyler Glasnow and immediately extend him. 5 years 135 mil. If he stays healthy thats a huge bargain. Major injury concerns though. I still do not think they are done.
It's a helluva deal if he can stay healthy but my years on this Earth...it's very noticeable how poorly teams who trade with the Rays end up looking. Obv for Dbacks' sake I hope that holds true!

On another note, it sounds like the Snakes are close to bringing back JD Martinez to DH for a couple years. If that happens this offseason has been incredible.

I'm pretty sure he's never thrown 150 innings in a season. They would have been better off paying a higher price in prospects to get Burnes.

I will take 120 innings and healthy going into the playoffs as a Dodgers fan. Not ideal obviously but I think they would be happy with that.

Besides I think the Brewers are asking too much in return otherwise he would have already been traded. Burnes is in the final year of arbitration. He is going to walk if they dont get something in return.

Besides I think the Brewers are asking too much in return otherwise he would have already been traded. Burnes is in the final year of arbitration. He is going to walk if they dont get something in return.
Burnes is gone just hoping a prospect rich team like the Dodgers pays the high price.

Poor San Francisco keeps getting rejected by all the big free agents so they were forced to overpay for a powerless Korean outfielder.

I don't watch soccer but MLB is becoming more like the premier league each and every day.
That would be a massive positive for MLB but I don't see it. Rangers and Snakes were just in the world series lol. That shit wouldn't happen in England.

That would be a massive positive for MLB but I don't see it. Rangers and Snakes were just in the world series lol. That shit wouldn't happen in England.
Texas has one of the higher payrolls in baseball so thats a terrible example but congrats to Arizona for bucking the odds and making it there. Still doesn't change the fact that there has been one small market team that has won the World Series this century.

Back