Offseason news...

New Mexico converted RB Chase Clayton making big plays at WR at scrimage and with Cursoe Gongbay ('11 leading rusher) back, Lobos O looking good early vs Lobo D that sat out some key defenders. Gongbay 11-87 incl 49y run ('12 #1 Carrier held out):

Clayton Sprints Past Lobo's D

Rick Wright / Journal Staff Writer
<time class="entry-date" datetime="2013-08-11T00:05:40-06:00" pubdate=""></time>
QB Gautsche has good day passing
RUIDOSO – Chase Clayton has come full circle as a football player, but it was his straight-ahead speed that bedeviled his University of New Mexico defensive teammates Saturday evening.

Clayton, a junior wide receiver, burned the Lobo secondary for touchdown passes of 46 and 55 yards as the offense dominated a 90-minute controlled scrimmage on an artificial-turf field at Ruidoso Middle School.

The offense scored seven touchdowns during the scrimmage, five through the air – a statistic that pleased coach Bob Davie.

No official statistics were kept. But according to statistics kept by the Journal, starting quarterback Cole Gautsche – who struggled in the passing game last season as a freshman – completed nine of 16 passes for 124 yards and two touchdowns with one interception.

Gautsche’s interception was an on-target throw that was knocked out of wide receiver Jeric Magnant’s hands by a big hit from true freshman cornerback Jadon Boatright. Sophomore cornerback Cranston Jones made a diving catch of the deflection.

“Number eight (Gautsche), anybody who was watching here (Saturday), you’d have to say that kid can throw the football,” Davie said. “It’s pretty impressive, what he did out here.”

One of Gautsche’s touchdown throws was a 46-yarder to tight end Reece White, a converted wide receiver. Gautsche also threw a 25-yard touchdown pass to sophomore slot receiver Carlos Wiggins.

Backup quarterback Clayton Mitchem was also effective. According to the Journal’s statistics, Mitchem was 6-of-12 for 160 yards and two touchdowns. Both his scoring passes went to Clayton.

At San Pedro (Calif.) High School, Clayton doubled as a defensive back and a wide receiver. But he came to UNM as a fullback, then was moved to defensive back, then to running back. In the meantime, he became one of the most prolific kickoff returners in the nation.

Now, he’s a wide receiver again.

“(Wide receiver) is my first love,” he said, “and I’m glad to be back here, trying to make plays and help the team out.”

It’s not as if the Lobos’ bread-and-butter running game wasn’t effective as well, even with star running back Kasey Carrier not carrying the ball a single time. Davie limited the participation of several key players on both sides of the ball, including Carrier, inside linebacker Dallas Bollema, outside linebacker Javarie Johnson, nose tackle Jacori Greer and offensive linemen Dillon Farrell and Darryl Johnson.

Junior running back Crusoe Gongbay broke a 49-yard run on the first play of the scrimmage and finished, unofficially, with 87 yards on 11 carries.

“He runs hard,” Davie said of Gongbay, who led the team in rushing as a freshman in 2011, left the program for eight months and returned a year ago. “The kid has come a long way.”

Davie also praised the elusiveness of true freshman running back Teriyon Gipson and the productivity of the receiving corps as a whole.

“I think the offense really stepped up and made plays,” Davie said. “They took what they’ve been doing on the practice field, brought it out here (Saturday) and actually stepped it up a notch, which was really encouraging to see.”

Davie was less encouraged by his defense.

“The defense came over here tonight and probably took a step back,” he said. “There were things that happened that made you say, ‘Did that really just happen?’ And it was surprising, because it was some older guys (who made defensive mistakes.)”

Still, the defense wasn’t without its moments.

In addition to Jones’ interception – he almost had another earlier in the scrimmage – Greer and defensive end Brett Bowers had sacks, though quarterbacks weren’t actually taken to the ground. Free safety David Guthrie lived up to his junior-college billing with some big hits.

Jones gave the offense, particularly the passing game, credit for keeping the defense off balance.

“We did make some mistakes today that were surprising,” he said. “… We’ll look at it on tape and we’re gonna correct it.

“I feel when the season starts, we’re gonna be where we need to be.”

Senior tight end Andrew Aho suffered a knee injury early in the scrimmage and did not return.

“The early prognosis is it’s not too bad,” Davie said.

The Lobos will take today off, then return to work in full pads Monday through Thursday. They’ll practice without pads Friday, then pack up and return to Albuquerque for the duration of fall camp.

Also 2nd year reserve DBs Rashad Jackson and Vershad Jackson are no longer with the team. Lobos are very thin at DB, pass D has been terrible the last 2 years.

Texas WR Marcus Johnson got hurt in practice today. no clue on seriousness of injury. kind of a big deal, if serious, Texas is pretty thin at WR.

Phil Steele@philsteele042<small class="time" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); position: relative; float: right; margin-top: 1px;">11m</small>
Drop BYU defense to 3 returning starters. CB Jordan Johnson who started all 13 LY and had FIFTEEN pbu tore his ACL, out year.

*sigh*

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IOKTwe-hNE4" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tZ7MgaXscRs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#LotsofDiversityInTheSouth

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but LSU LG Josh Williford suffered a concussion early in camp and his career is probably over. He was in competition for the starting LG spot with Vadal Alexander after Alexander's RT job was taken by Jerald Hawkins. The depth is still much better than it has been in a long time, but Williford was the most experienced lineman.

WRs Avery Peterson and Armand Williams are likely done for the season with leg injuries. Neither would have contributed this year.

I wouldn't expect to see Hill the first 2 or 3 games.

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but LSU LG Josh Williford suffered a concussion early in camp and his career is probably over. He was in competition for the starting LG spot with Vadal Alexander after Alexander's RT job was taken by Jerald Hawkins. The depth is still much better than it has been in a long time, but Williford was the most experienced lineman.

WRs Avery Peterson and Armand Williams are likely done for the season with leg injuries. Neither would have contributed this year.

I wouldn't expect to see Hill the first 2 or 3 games.

Why? Is there an injury of some sort or pressure from the outside?

Nothing to do with pressure, Miles has never discussed suspensions. Even two years ago when Mathieu, Ware, and Simon were suspended for the Auburn game he never confirmed it even though literally everyone knew about it during the week. I don't think he even confirmed it was a suspension after the game.

I guess it's possible if multiple RBs go down with injury between now and then, but I would be surprised.

1. We're not talking about going from AP to Trung Candidate 2. LSU is loaded at RB 3. An RB in this situation with these variables means very little to outcome. Les can afford to suspend him

Somewhat agree. We're not as deep as the last few years but still have plenty of talent. I think having slightly fewer options will be a good thing so they won't force feed touches to get everyone involved. But we don't have the bodies to sustain multiple injuries like we used to either. That shouldn't be an issue early in the year.

Hilliard is in the best shape of his career which is great news. Magee looks a little heavy and that's disappointing.

8:28 pm (P) it was reported that Keith Price delivered the following quote about ASJ and the home opener against Boise......"He'll be back, he'll be back"

Underlying message is not that ASJ will play with a nicked up pinkie (jfc, didn't ronnie lott cut off a finger to play?), but that Sark has not advised Price to avoid any comment on whether ASJ will be suspended for bsu game...

but, even if this is wrong, you can grab a far more talented team at home 2 1/2 or 3 points undervalued right now (renovated stadium with fans right on top of the field...UW one of the loudest places before, and that was with a track around the field...now the fans are on top of the field like autzen)......boise is going to get shelshocked out of the gate here and won't be able to catch

The LSU offensive line is deeper than it has been in years...sucks for Josh, but it shouldn't matter

I think Hill is clearly the best back, though.

Where you hear about the suspension MOT?

I haven't heard anything specifically and I doubt we ever hear anything official. I have always expected it to be a couple of games. I think when the media kept pressing the issue following a practice last week Miles finally said the punishment would include "withholding" him from playing time. That's probably all we'll hear.

Agree about the o-line being probably the deepest and most talented it has been in a long time. But without Wiliford I think they have 30 starts combined, and Turner is the only returning starter in the same position from last year.

Not big news in the sense that Jordan Haden has never been an impact player for Toledo. But Rockets are replacing 3 DB starters this year. Haden was likely to fill one of those spots by default if nothing else. This would leave the Rockets with just 2 of their top 6 from last year at DB heading to the Swamp.

HADEN OUT: A scenario of Jordan Haden finally playing a game at Florida’s Ben Hill Griffin Stadium unraveled on Thursday when the safety fracture his collar bone. Haden, who started his career at Florida, will miss four weeks and is not expected to travel with the team to the opener.
Campbell said Haden had a strong camp.

The main point of the article is tr fr DT Marquise Moore, who is up to 303 lbs and been impressive enough to have broken into the starting lineup.

http://www.toledoblade.com/UT/2013/08/18/UT-freshman-Moore-likely-to-be-a-starter.html

So Blake bell didn't win tha job at Oklahoma. Trevor knight redshirt freshman will start week 1

Might as well post this: 5 star RB and top RB in the class of 2014 Elijah Hood de-commits from Notre Dame. No idea where he will go, though. Possibilities are endless in Orange County, North Carolina.

Might as well post this: 5 star RB and top RB in the class of 2014 Elijah Hood de-commits from Notre Dame. No idea where he will go, though. Possibilities are endless in Orange County, North Carolina.
wonder if it's him wanting to go to NC

barr's been sittin out practice since tuesday night. might be a concussion but no one knows. potentially out for nevada but i think he'll be back

We have recruiting threads for this ;).

Happened a few days ago. Just off browsing reading other day methinks this is good for UNC.

ND is decommitt U btw.

Yup, shocked me. But they say Knight is Johnny Football lite.

dude can flat-out run. he tore it up at reagan in the hill country. the question is gonna be if big-game bob is gonna actually let the kid run the read-option. bob is talking like bell (guessing short yardage) and knight will be playing in the ULM game. I guess we're gonna see if they change the offensive game plan with a real dual-threat guy under center.

I would be really surprised if he doesn't commit to UNC.

Hearing rumors that he has a baby on the way.

Back