Official Thread Re Injuries, Suspensions, and Dismissals NOT in Steele

Penn State linemen struggling to stay in program

By Josh LangenbacherAugust 11, 2008

Source: Daily Collegian, Penn State

EmailPrint

Josh Marks, one of Penn State's recent highly regarded offensive lineman recruits, has decided to leave the program.
"Marks is giving it up," Joe Paterno said during Friday's media day. "Marks never showed up when he was supposed to show up. ... It's just sometimes people have to make decisions in their lives, and it's a very difficult one to make when you're in the limelight as he is."
Popular college football recruiting Website Scout.com ranked Marks as a four-star recruit out of Southern Columbia, one of the most successful high school football programs in Pennsylvania.
"I think Josh had a tough time getting used to the conditioning and stuff," said Stefen Wisniewski, who was part of the same recruiting class two years ago. "He was a little bit heavy. He had a tough time adjusting to that."
Marks was listed as being 285 pounds out of Southern Columbia but 315 pounds on Penn State's current roster.
He becomes the latest four-star or higher offensive lineman who, for various reasons, never found his footing at Penn State. Four-star prospects Brian Borgoyn and Mark Farris were part of the 2002 class, choosing Penn State over schools like Florida and Miami, respectively, but neither one panned out as expected.
A year later, Joel Holler chose to play for Paterno over Miami or Ohio State, but he transferred to Delaware because of conditioning issues.
Greg Harrison's impact at Penn State didn't fall in line with a recruit ranked as the fourth-best prospect in the country, and three years later, five-star prospect Antonio Logan-El spurned Maryland to play at Penn State.
Logan-El transferred to Towson after his redshirt freshman season to be closer to his family.
"It was the roughest time of my life, and I don't think I'll ever go through that again," Logan-El said Saturday. "Going to Towson was the best thing I could have done for myself."
At the time, Logan-El's grandfather was ill enough to the point doctors were informing the family he may not have much time left to live. He has since recovered and is doing well, Logan-El said.
Shortly after Logan-El's grandfather was admitted, his father was in a serious car accident. He flew through the windshield and had a few broken bones and facial surgery.
Logan-El would visit his grandfather in the hospital, then go up two floors and visit his father.
"I was dealing with all that at one time," he said. "It was compiling."
How to explain Penn State's inability to develop some of the high-profile offensive linemen it has brought in?
The crapshoot of recruiting may be as good an explanation as any.
Three members of this year's starting offensive line, Gerald Cadogan, Rich Ohrnberger and Dennis Landolt, were three-star prospects. A fourth, A.Q. Shipley, was recruited as a defensive tackle before moving to center.
Wisniewski, a four-star recruit out of powerhouse Pittsburgh Central Catholic with nearly impeccable bloodlines, is the only member of the offensive line who received much national recognition in high school.
"Besides the quarterback position, it's one of the hardest positions to come in and truly start and have an affect at the offensive line position, because in high school, normally the guys that are recruited are the big, athletic offensive linemen," Logan-El said. "I believe it's so much technique to be learned."

KU back leaving program

Boyd-Anderson gone; position getting thin
By Dugan Arnett
Monday, August 11, 2008
While things atop the Kansas University football team’s running-back depth chart appear to be in fine shape, the list of reserves has thinned considerably.
Sunday, sophomore running back Carmon Boyd-Anderson notified Jayhawks coach Mark Mangino of his plans to leave KU and is now waiting to hear from the university whether he’ll be released from his scholarship.
“We had a brief meeting today, and I just let him know what my intentions were and how I felt about the situation,” Boyd-Anderson said.
Assuming the remaining paperwork goes through, the 6-foot-1, 204-pound Jacksonville, Texas, native intends to move to Bolivar, Mo., in the coming days, where his brother, Welton Boyd, is a freshman football player for Southwest Baptist University. Another brother is a graduate of Southwest Baptist, as well.
Boyd-Anderson said Sunday night that he likely would enroll at a junior college while exploring his options.
“I’m still in a scramble trying to find out what my next step’s going to be,” he said. “But it’s a moment that, once I get settled in and get all the information, it should be a pretty good situation for me.”
As a true freshman last season, Boyd-Anderson played in four games, rushing 24 times for 91 yards and a touchdown, compiling a season-high 54 yards in a 62-0 victory over Southeastern Louisiana before sitting out the team’s final nine games.
Entering the 2008 season, however, the outlook appeared grim for the former three-star recruit out of Jacksonville High. Juniors Jake Sharp and Jocques Crawford, the national junior-college offensive player of the year in 2007, are expected to garner the majority of the team’s carries this season, while fellow junior Angus Quigley was also listed ahead of Boyd-Anderson on the depth chart.
“I’ve been thinking about it the past year, been discussing it with my parents,” Boyd-Anderson said. “It’s absolutely nothing against the coaches, they gave me all kinds of reasons to stay. It’s nothing against the university — they help you as far as schooling goes; I was getting a good education. It just wasn’t really my liking.”
Mangino also said that freshman running back Sean Ransburg, a 6-foot-1, 195-pound graduate of Harrisonville (Mo.) High School, will not be in the football program until January at the earliest.
Ransburg was not cleared to play by the NCAA Clearinghouse, although coaches are hopeful that he will be able to join the program in January.
As a high school senior in 2007, Ransburg threw for 2,556 yards and 29 touchdowns while compiling 1,677 yards and 29 touchdowns on the ground, picking up all-state and Class 3A player-of-the-year honors.
He also led Harrisonville to four straight state title games — three of which resulted in Class 3A championships — and was the first player from the Class of 2008 to commit to Kansas.
The two absences leaves the Jayhawks with five players at the running back/tailback position: Crawford, Sharp and Quigley, Donte Bean and the recently repositioned Rell Lewis.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">Pitt loses DE Fulmer to knee injury

</td><td class="col1">Story Highlights
  • Fulmer needs surgery after tearing a tendon in his left knee
  • It's the third major injury he's had in his college career
</td></tr></tbody></table><table class="cnninlineright" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Pitt has lost starting defensive end Doug Fulmer to a knee injury, the third year in a row injuries have ended Fulmer's season.
Fulmer tore a ligament in his left knee and will need surgery. An MRI revealed the injury Monday, Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt said Tuesday.
Fulmer was hurt during practice Sunday as he attempted to bounce back from season-ending injuries the past two years.
Fulmer started three of the first four games in 2006 before being lost for the season with a broken ankle against the Citadel. In 2007, Fulmer hurt his right knee in spring workouts and missed last season after having surgery.
Wannstedt said he's unsure whether Fulmer, a redshirt junior, might qualify for another medical redshirt given the rapid succession of his injuries.
"It's just so unfortunate because the guy hasn't had a chance because of all the variety of injuries," Wannstedt said. "The plan right now is that he'll have the surgery. We'll see how the rehab goes, and then we'll deal with it then."
Jabaal Sheard, a 6-foot-4, 255-pound sophomore, is the favorite to replace Fulmer.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">Two more Florida players out for season with torn ACLs

• Jim Barrie and Brendan Beal are the fourth and fifth Gators to suffer torn ACLs
  • Beal, who was expected to get playing time, was injured during contact work
  • Barrie was injured during one-on-one pass-blocking drills
</td></tr></tbody></table><table class="cnninlineright" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- Two more Florida players will miss the season after suffering torn knee ligaments.
Gators redshirt sophomore offensive lineman Jim Barrie and freshman linebacker Brendan Beal are the fourth and fifth players to suffer torn ACLs. Beal suffered his injury during Monday's practice and Barrie was injured Saturday.
"Five ACLs, that's a tough deal," Florida coach Urban Meyer said after announcing the latest injuries following Tuesday's morning practice.
Tight end Cornelius Ingram, who turned down the NFL to return for his senior season, tore his left ACL during Florida's second day of practice last week. Redshirt junior Dorian Munroe, a projected starter at safety, and backup redshirt senior safety John Curtis tore their ACLs in July.
All have had surgery and will miss the entire season.
Beal, who was expected to get playing time this year, was injured during contact work. Barrie was injured during one-on-one pass-blocking drills. Munroe, Curtis and Ingram were injured in noncontact drills.
"It's frustrating when guys are hurt," Meyer said. "Still, at our staff meeting this morning I drew up our starting offensive line and I drew up everybody when they're healthy, and (it's) a pretty good-looking football team.
"Right now it looks like Louie's hungry five out there."
Meyer said he doesn't believe the injuries are a result of being overworked or being pushed harder than previous years because three of the injuries came in non-contact work. Still, he said he would re-examine what the staff is doing.
"I've looked at everything, and that's our job, to make sure," he said. "We've followed pretty much the same routine but we're going to research everything we do. Last year was a (rash of ) high ankle sprains. Two years ago was the shoulder issues."
Lerentee McCray will replace Beal on special teams and also get some time at linebacker, Meyer said.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">FSU waiting to hear on highly touted transfer's eligibility

• Florida State is waiting to receive transcripts from the tailback's last school
  • Jimbo Fisher said he hopes Pressley will be able to practice Wednesday
</td></tr></tbody></table>TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- Florida State is still waiting to hear whether highly touted junior college transfer Tavares Pressley will be eligible to play this fall, offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher said after Tuesday's practice.
Florida State is waiting to receive transcripts from the tailback's last school, El Camino Community College. Fisher said he hopes Pressley will be able to practice Wednesday.
"Well if we can get him cleared and get him in (he will)," Fisher said. "We just have to hope and pray. Everything (is OK) supposedly. Until it all ends, I never count anything. Supposedly everything should be OK."
Defensive end Kevin McNeil practiced for the first time this fall on Tuesday. While the team had its first day of full contact, McNeil just participated in separate conditioning drills. McNeil, who missed all of last season because of his role in the school's academic cheating scandal, was held out for the first four days of practice while he got his academic situation in order.
Fisher also said that linebacker Rodney Gallon is no longer on the team. Gallon, who would have been a senior, played in 29 games for the Seminoles but only started in one.

Ole Miss' Hardy out six to eight weeks
August 11, 2008 8:01 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's Chris Low
Just when I thought Ole Miss was going to be one of the surprise teams in the SEC this season, the Rebels go and lose one of their best players.
Defensive end Greg Hardy, who led the SEC in sacks last season, is out for six to eight weeks after undergoing surgery Monday to repair a stress fracture in his right foot. Depending on his recovery time, Hardy could miss the first six games, which wouldn't put him back until the Oct. 18 game against Alabama.
The defensive line was going to be the Rebels' strength this season, but Hardy is the second key player to go down up front. Tackle Ted Laurent had surgery to repair torn meniscus in his knee in late July.
Junior Emmanuel Stephens and sophomore Kentrell Lockett are the most likely candidates to replace Hardy at end.

WSU Football | Speedy receiver Jeshua Anderson to miss first few games

By The Associated Press

PULLMAN — Jeshua Anderson, the NCAA 400-meter hurdles champion who was expected to play a prominent role on the Washington State football team, will be sidelined for at least six weeks after hernia surgery.
The sophomore wide receiver discovered the hernia last week and the operation was performed Monday.
Anderson's recovery time is expected to be six to eight weeks.
That means he would miss at least the first four games of the season — against Oklahoma State, California, Baylor and Portland State. The Cougars begin their season Aug. 30 at Qwest Field against Oklahoma State.
Anderson played in all 12 games as a freshman, catching 12 passes for 372 yards, averaging 31 yards.
As a member of the WSU track team, he won the NCAA men's 400 hurdles in a school-record 48.69 seconds this year.

Another day, another KU back defection

By Dugan Arnett
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
And then there were four.
The Kansas University football team’s running-back corps, already facing the recent loss of two young backs, was dealt another blow Monday when it was revealed tailback Donte Bean would be leaving the program.
Just a day after sophomore Carmon Boyd-Anderson decided to leave school citing personal reasons, Bean, a 5-foot-10, 190-pound sophomore out of North Garland (Texas) High, confirmed he will pursue a transfer as well.
“It was going to be tough with six running backs,” Bean said. “I just thought there would be more opportunity (elsewhere).”
Bean, whose brother, Brandon Walker, is a senior running back at Washburn University in Topeka, played a limited role as a red-shirt freshman last season, rushing seven times for just 20 yards in four games. Bean said he hoped to join his brother at Washburn.
The exodus leaves the Jayhawks with only four of their seven projected running backs/tailbacks entering the season.
While the Jayhawks seemed to receive a considerable boost at the running-back position by snagging 2007 national junior college offensive player of the year Jocques Crawford in February, they since have lost three other running backs: Bean, Boyd-Anderson and freshman Sean Ransburg, who wasn’t cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse and will miss at least the 2008 season.
In addition to Crawford, juniors Jake Sharp and Angus Quigley remain, while red-shirt freshman Rell Lewis, who switched from receiver to running back this season, is the only other player currently listed at running back.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">NCAA clears West Virginia DL Liebig to play this season

• He sat out 2007 to run his family business and take care of his ailing dad
  • Liebig last played in the Gator Bowl after the '06 season and has 39 career tackles
  • Liebig had petitioned the NCAA for a sixth year of eligibility
</td></tr></tbody></table>MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) -- The NCAA has cleared West Virginia defensive lineman Pat Liebig to play this season.
Mountaineers coach Bill Stewart announced Liebig's eligibility had been approved Tuesday.
The 6-foot-4 Liebig last played in the Gator Bowl after the 2006 season and has 39 career tackles. He sat out the 2007 season, returning home to Florida to run his family business and to care for his ailing father.
After the business was sold and his father's health improved, Liebig petitioned the NCAA for a sixth year of eligibility.

Backup tight end fractures shoulder

By Suzanne Halliburton | Tuesday, August 12, 2008, 05:32 PM

Texas reserve tight end Josh Marshall fractured his left shoulder during practice and is out indefinitely. Marshall, a sophomore, had been competing for playing time with sophomore Blaine Irby and senior Peter Ullman. Marshall moved from receiver to tight end a year ago. He saw action on special teams in 2007. In open practices last week, he had made some nice catches.
UT did not provide additional information on the injury, other than to say there is no time table for his return.

QB Kaheaku-Enhada questionable for opener

By Don Markus
Sun Reporter
August 13, 2008
<script language="JavaScript" src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/trb.baltimoresun/sports/college/football;ptype=ps;slug=bal-spnavyfoot13aug13;rg=ur;ref=baltimoresuncom;pos=1;dcopt=ist;sz=300x250;tile=1;at=Sports;at=Health;at=Defense;at=Injuries;at=Football;at=Armed%20Forces;ord=43659617?" type="text/javascript"></script><!-- begin ad tag--> <script language="JavaScript" src="http://a.collective-media.net/adj/cm.baltsun/;sz=300x250;click0=;ord=2235836?" type="text/javascript"></script><script language="javascript" src="http://a.collective-media.net/cmadj/cm.baltsun/;sz=300x250;click0=;ord=2235836;ord1=789507;start=0;fset=1;cmpgurl=http%253A//www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/football/bal-sp.navyfoot13aug13%252C0%252C5235305%252Cprint.story?"></script><script language="javascript" src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/cm.baltsun/c_sports;net=cm;u=0a04f602_73937_58420638,10050d359727346,sports,cm.ent-cm.ent_L-cm.fam_L-cm.polit_M-cm.polit_L-cm.sports_L-cm.trav_L;;sz=300x250;ord1=789507;start=0;fset=1;contx=sports;btg=cm.ent;btg=cm.ent_L;btg=cm.fam_L;btg=cm.polit_M;btg=cm.polit_L;btg=cm.sports_L;btg=cm.trav_L;ord=2235836?"></script><!-- Template Id = 2593 Template Name = Banner Creative (Flash) - In Page --> <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="DCF206350466" height="250" width="300">
<embed src="http://m1.2mdn.net/1556647/We-Are-Oympics_300x250_1B.swf" flashvars="clickTag=http%3A//ad.doubleclick.net/click%253Bh%3Dv8/371b/3/0/%252a/q%253B206350466%253B0-0%253B0%253B28806680%253B4307-300/250%253B27440422/27458301/1%253Bu%253D0a04f602_73937_58420638%252C10050d359727346%252Csports%252Ccm.ent-cm.ent_L-cm.fam_L-cm.polit_M-cm.polit_L-cm.sports_L-cm.trav_L%253B%257Eaopt%253D0/ff/48e0/ff%253B%257Efdr%253D206426936%253B0-0%253B0%253B15731599%253B4307-300/250%253B27658081/27675960/1%253Bu%253D0a04f602_73937_58420638%252C10050d359727346%252Csports%252Ccm.ent-cm.ent_L-cm.fam_L-cm.polit_M-cm.polit_L-cm.sports_L-cm.trav_L%253B%257Eaopt%253D3/1/48e0/0%253B%257Esscs%253D%253fhttps%3A//www.24hourfitness.com/PromoOfferHome.do%3FpromoCode%3DCLUBPASS&clickTAG=http%3A//ad.doubleclick.net/click%253Bh%3Dv8/371b/3/0/%252a/q%253B206350466%253B0-0%253B0%253B28806680%253B4307-300/250%253B27440422/27458301/1%253Bu%253D0a04f602_73937_58420638%252C10050d359727346%252Csports%252Ccm.ent-cm.ent_L-cm.fam_L-cm.polit_M-cm.polit_L-cm.sports_L-cm.trav_L%253B%257Eaopt%253D0/ff/48e0/ff%253B%257Efdr%253D206426936%253B0-0%253B0%253B15731599%253B4307-300/250%253B27658081/27675960/1%253Bu%253D0a04f602_73937_58420638%252C10050d359727346%252Csports%252Ccm.ent-cm.ent_L-cm.fam_L-cm.polit_M-cm.polit_L-cm.sports_L-cm.trav_L%253B%257Eaopt%253D3/1/48e0/0%253B%257Esscs%253D%253fhttps%3A//www.24hourfitness.com/PromoOfferHome.do%3FpromoCode%3DCLUBPASS&clicktag=http%3A//ad.doubleclick.net/click%253Bh%3Dv8/371b/3/0/%252a/q%253B206350466%253B0-0%253B0%253B28806680%253B4307-300/250%253B27440422/27458301/1%253Bu%253D0a04f602_73937_58420638%252C10050d359727346%252Csports%252Ccm.ent-cm.ent_L-cm.fam_L-cm.polit_M-cm.polit_L-cm.sports_L-cm.trav_L%253B%257Eaopt%253D0/ff/48e0/ff%253B%257Efdr%253D206426936%253B0-0%253B0%253B15731599%253B4307-300/250%253B27658081/27675960/1%253Bu%253D0a04f602_73937_58420638%252C10050d359727346%252Csports%252Ccm.ent-cm.ent_L-cm.fam_L-cm.polit_M-cm.polit_L-cm.sports_L-cm.trav_L%253B%257Eaopt%253D3/1/48e0/0%253B%257Esscs%253D%253fhttps%3A//www.24hourfitness.com/PromoOfferHome.do%3FpromoCode%3DCLUBPASS" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" quality="high" swliveconnect="true" wmode="opaque" name="DCF206350466" base="http://m1.2mdn.net/1556647" allowscriptaccess="never" height="250" width="300"></object> <noscript></noscript>Though the magnetic resonance imaging test on Navy quarterback Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku-Enhada's strained hamstring did not reveal any further damage, the Midshipmen will prepare for their Aug.30 season opener against Towson as if senior captain Jarod Bryant is the starter.

Kaheaku-Enhada, recently named to the Davey O'Brien Award watch list for the nation's top quarterbacks, was injured in Saturday's scrimmage. First-year Navy coach Ken Niumatalolo said Monday that there is no timetable for Kaheaku-Enhada's return.

"That's why we're going as if Jarod is going to be the quarterback [against Towson]," Niumatalolo said after practice yesterday in Annapolis. "If Kaipo comes back, that will be great. But we're not going to push that. If you start pushing hamstrings, a guy can miss the whole season if you come back too quick."

Niumatalolo said there were no plans to change the team's triple option attack to fit Bryant's style of being more of an inside runner and slightly better passer than Kaheaku-Enhada, who finished second on the team in rushing last season with 834 yards and a team-high 12 touchdowns on 180 carries.

"They've got different strengths," Niumatalolo said. "But we'll just call the game. We just call what we call. We don't really know who's going to carry the ball anyway."

The depth chart will be adjusted since Bryant had moved to slotback during the spring and was listed as both the No.1 slotback and the No.2 quarterback. If Bryant remains at quarterback for the foreseeable future, Niumatalolo said the Mids might go to some of their younger players at slotback. Freshman Corey James could wind up getting more playing time.

The return to quarterback did not seem to faze Bryant, who started one game last season when Kaheaku-Enhada was injured and rushed for 139 yards and a touchdown on 27 carries in a 35-24 victory.

"Mentally I was ready to do it," said Bryant, who gained 464 yards on 94 carries and scored five touchdowns for the nation's top rushing offense. "I tried to get better at slotback [during the spring] and I definitely think I did. They want me to play quarterback now, so I'll do that."

Bryant doesn't expect the move to be permanent.

"I'll probably end up playing some slotback this year," Bryant said. "As far as quarterback, I'm at a point where I feel pretty comfortable. I can always get better. I don't think any of the time I spent [at slotback] is going to hurt me."

The news of Kaheaku-Enhada's injury is the first potential serious blip since Niumatalolo succeeded Paul Johnson last December.

"I knew it was coming sooner or later, but fortunately we're confident in Jarod," Niumatalolo said.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">Oklahoma starting linebacker Box 'doubtful' for opener

• Austin Box had surgery to repair torn cartilage in his left knee
  • Stoops says Box is 'probable' for the OU's game against Cincy the following week
  • Box redshirted last season but was considered a likely starter this year
</td></tr></tbody></table>NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -- Linebacker Austin Box could miss Oklahoma's season opener against Chattanooga after having surgery to repair torn cartilage in his left knee.
Sooners coach Bob Stoops says Box had arthroscopic surgery Tuesday and would be "doubtful" for the season opener Aug. 30.
Stoops says Box is "probable" for the Sooners' game against Cincinnati the following week.
Box redshirted last season but was considered a likely starter this year after linebacker Curtis Lofton left early for the NFL and Lewis Baker graduated.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">Hyped receiver recruit dismissed by Sooners lands at Troy

• OU dismissed Jarboe after an Internet video surfaced of him rapping about guns
  • Jarboe had pleaded guilty to bringing a gun to Cedar Grove High School
  • Jarboe was considered one of the top wide receiver prospects in the country
t1_jarboe.jpg

Josh Jarboe was one of the most sought after receiver recruits in the Class of 2008.
AP

</td></tr></tbody></table>TROY, Ala. (AP) -- Josh Jarboe, a highly regarded wide receiver recruit who was kicked off the team at Oklahoma two weeks ago, has decided to enroll at Troy.
Jarboe signed a letter of intent to play with Oklahoma in February, but in May he pleaded guilty to charges of bringing a gun to Cedar Grove High School in Georgia and carrying a pistol without a license.
A judge reduced the charges to misdemeanors because Jarboe was a first-time offender and sentenced him to two years of probation and 80 hours of community service. Oklahoma decided to honor the letter of intent and let Jarboe keep his scholarship.
Sooners coach Bob Stoops dismissed Jarboe on Aug. 1 after an Internet video surfaced of the teenager rapping about guns and shooting people.
Jarboe was considered one of the top wide receiver prospects in the country.
"Troy University has always been interested in providing opportunities for young people to better themselves, and this is a situation where a young man who has made some mistakes is looking for a second chance," Troy coach Larry Blakeney said in a statement Wednesday.
"I have met with Josh, and I am convinced that he is ready, and willing, to do the things we need for him to do to be a productive member of both this football team and the Troy University community."
Troy spokesman Ricky Hazel said the school is still trying to determine whether Jarboe will be allowed to play this season or need to sit out one season under NCAA rules.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">Illinois DT Williams out for season with knee injury

• Williams faces surgery after hurting the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee
  • He is expected to take a medical redshirt and return next season
  • Sophomore Josh Brent is expected to start at Williams' defensive tackle spot
</td></tr></tbody></table>RANTOUL, Ill. (AP) -- Illinois defensive tackle Sirod Williams will miss the season with a knee injury.
Williams faces surgery after hurting the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee Saturday during preseason practice.
Coach Ron Zook said Williams is expected to take a medical redshirt and return next season.
The 6-foot, 292-pound Williams appeared in 12 of the Illini's 13 games last season. Sophomore Josh Brent is expected to start at Williams' defensive tackle spot.
Illinois opens its season against Missouri on August 30th in St. Louis.

Sam Burnthall Leaves Team

MiltonF-788904_tiny.jpg
by outsidethesidelines on Aug 13, 2008 8:40 PM CDT
According to published reports, Alabama junior defensive back Sam Burnthall has left the team citing personal reasons.
Alabama head coach Nick Saban said in a statement, "We have granted him his release and wish him the best."
Burnthall signed with the Tide in 2005 in Mike Shula's second recruiting class. Coming out of Decatur High School, Burnthall was a lightly-recruited safety / linebacker prospect, and was rated as a two-star by both major recruiting services. He was teammates in high school with Jerraud Powers, and Alabama pursued him heavily as well, but he ultimately signed with Auburn and has went onto a good career on the Plains.
The departure of Burnthall is almost certainly an issue of playing time. He was never able to get any legitimate amount of playing time even when competing against fellow Shula recruits, and last season as a sophomore he got into only three games on the year (all in special teams duty, if I recall correctly). Going forward into the 2008 campaign, he was unlikely to see any meaningful playing time.
Either way, best of luck to him.

More bad news for an already thin MTSU squad...

MTSU was hit where it hurt most Monday.
Head coach Rick Stockstill announced that starting center Jake Padrick is out for the season with a knee injury, and redshirt freshman linebacker Landon Givers’ college football career is over due to a lingering back injury.

Offensive line and linebacker were already MTSU’s two thinnest positions in terms of depth.

Starting UTEP safety Walker may be out for season

<!--subtitle--><!--byline-->By Bret Bloomquist / El Paso Times
<!--date-->Article Launched: 08/12/2008 09:04:59 PM MDT

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript> var requestedWidth = 0; </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript> if(requestedWidth < 300){ requestedWidth = 300; } </SCRIPT> Receiver Drew Thomas, left, and Roddray Walker battled for possession of a pass Monday at camp in Socorro, N.M. (Victor Calzada / El Paso Times)

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript> if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } </SCRIPT>
Related: View more pics.

SOCORRO, N.M. -- UTEP may have suffered its first big loss of the season as safety Roddray Walker, who began workouts as a starter, could be facing season-ending shoulder surgery.
Walker returned from a dislocated shoulder Monday, then popped it out again in that workout. The team will wait until he is re-evaluated in El Paso for a final decision, but surgery would end his season and at this point seems likely.
Isaiah Carter went to El Paso on Monday night for an MRI on his head after sustaining a concussion, but was back at practice Tuesday, albeit not in pads. Landon Goodwell worked with the first team in place of Carter and Royzell Smith, who is still out with a minor knee injury. Other players now working with the first team include receiver Pierce Hunter and transfer cornerback Clarence Ward.

Injury has Pack scrambling at safety

Submitted by kentysiac on 08/13/2008 - 11:42 <!-- BEGIN tags -->Tags: ACC Now | N.C. State
<!-- END tags --><!-- BEGIN content -->Late last season, safety seemed to be a position of strength for N.C. State's future.
Junior DaJuan Morgan was well on his way to a second-team All-ACC selection. Redshirt freshman Javon Walker emerged after the midseason open date as one of the most productive players on defense.
How quickly things changed. Morgan left school to become a third-round selection in the NFL draft. Walker tore a knee ligament against Miami and still isn't practicing.
N.C. State recruited a junior college transfer, Clem Johnson, who demonstrated promise at that position but suffered a broken jaw during Sunday's scrimmage. Johnson has had surgery, and coach Tom O'Brien isn't optimistic about his chances for returning. O'Brien said he believes Johnson is eligible for a redshirt year, and it sounds like he might use it.
"With the jaw, you don't eat and then you lose weight," O'Brien said. "There's that problem of trying to get substance in him. He's going to have to start all over once it heals, which is a lengthy process anyway."
Johnson had been competing with Justin Byers for a starting position. His loss leaves N.C. State with redshirt freshmen Byers and Jimmaul Simmons, junior walk-on Bobby Floyd and senior J.C. Neal to fill two safety positions.
Neal, who made six starts last season, is the only player with any kind of experience.
"We've got some bodies back there," said defensive coordinator Mike Archer. "Luckily we've got two weeks. We've got to get somebody ready to play."

Joe McKnight injures hand in dorm accident

Running back's right hand is described as 'gnarly' after a door is accidentally closed on two fingers. Coach Pete Carroll says no horseplay was involved in the incident.
By Gary Klein
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

August 15, 2008

USC's backfield took another hit when sophomore running back Joe McKnight suffered cuts and bruises on the middle and ring fingers after a door was closed on his right hand in the team dormitory.

The incident occurred late Wednesday night after the Trojans had returned from an IMAX screening of "The Dark Knight." Coach Pete Carroll said no horseplay was involved.

"It was just an accident," Carroll said.

McKnight was unavailable for comment.

Running back Allen Bradford said he and McKnight were standing outside a room talking when the incident occurred. McKnight had inadvertently placed his right hand in the doorjamb, Bradford said, when someone on the other side of the door closed it, trapping and pinching McKnight's fingertips.

"It happened so fast I couldn't react," Bradford said.

Cornerback Shareece Wright was in the room next door.

"I heard him scream and then I saw blood on the floor," Wright said.

Linebacker Chris Galippo did not witness the incident but said he saw McKnight's hand. "It was pretty gnarly looking," Galippo said.

McKnight was taken to the hospital for X-rays, which showed no fractures, an athletic department spokesman said.

Carroll said he did not know if McKnight would be completely sidelined or relegated to a few drills in the next few days. The running back missed Wednesday's practice because of a skin irritation that has affected numerous players.

"I think he can probably run around," Carroll said, adding that a hand injury was, "better than doing it on his foot."

Asked how the Trojans can withstand mounting health issues that include quarterback Mark Sanchez's knee injury, the skin irritation outbreak, and now McKnight's off-the-field injury, Carroll said, "We're unflappable. . . . It doesn't even register."

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">Pittsburgh WR Saddler out for season with knee injury

• Saddler tore his anterior cruciate ligament during a punt return drill on Tuesday
  • The receiver will redshirt the season, the team said Thursday
  • Saddler is the second Pitt player to sustain a season-ending knee injury in camp
</td></tr></tbody></table>PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Pitt freshman wide receiver and kick returner Cameron Saddler will miss the season because of a knee injury.
Saddler tore his anterior cruciate ligament during a punt return drill on Tuesday. He had an MRI exam Thursday and will have surgery. Saddler will redshirt the season, the team said Thursday.
Saddler is the second Pitt player to sustain a season-ending knee injury in preseason camp. Junior redshirt defensive end Doug Fulmer tore ligaments in his left knee on Sunday.

Senior linebacker gives in to pressure
Coaches' gift of persuasion sells Terry on role as Buckeyes' fullback
<!-- begin creation date --> Thursday, August 14, 2008 3:14 AM
<!-- end creation date --> By Tim May

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
<!-- aligning image and caption-->
0814_terry_08-14-08_A2_44B184P.jpg
Ohio State linebacker-turned- fullback Curtis Terry

<!-- displaying free form text in the same .ptr div -->
<!-- /ptr --> Curtis Terry entered his senior season looking to go out with a bang as a full-time contributor on the Ohio State defense. But when the coaches proposed during spring practice that Terry consider blocking for running back Chris "Beanie" Wells, he stepped across to "the dark side," as one of his defensive teammates put it.
Now, it looks as if Terry could see time at linebacker as well as fullback. Regardless, the decision to switch sides was anything but an easy one.
"It was a battle, a battle for a long time, and it was something I had to come to terms with," he said. "During the whole process, when they were recruiting me, they were telling me the team really needs a fullback."
Terry did not misspeak when he recalled the sales job. "It was a recruitment," he said.
The request by running backs coach Dick Tressel caught Terry at a vulnerable time. The Cleveland Glenville graduate couldn't play last year after suffering a high ankle sprain early in the season. Now going into his fifth and final season, Terry wanted to contribute in as many ways as possible.
At first, Terry thought the coaches were joking about the fullback thing, but as spring practices ensued, he encountered the full-court press.
"They kept trying out different people," Terry said, but he "kept hearing" how they wanted him at fullback.
"It just kept getting louder, until finally one day they asked me to make the switch," he said.
At that point, Terry's playing future was in his hands. His first thought was not to do anything spectacular so that maybe the coaches would drop him from the fullback plans.
"But just being a competitor, I didn't want to get blown up and have the coaches mad at me and have everybody laughing at me in the locker room," Terry said. "So I just got out there and did well enough where they obviously felt like they needed me over there."
Defensive end Lawrence Wilson expected as much.
"Curtis always brings it," Wilson said. "He's a physical guy, a strong guy. When you see Curtis, he is going to bring the thunder. He's going to try to knock your head off."
Wells saw the same thing, and appreciated the sight of Terry in front of him.
"He's a fantastic blocker; he never quits," Wells said.
And for someone like Wells with Heisman Trophy aspirations, a top-flight blocking fullback could be vital.
"I have thought about that, and I've also thought about winning the national championship," Terry said. "The biggest thing that made me want to do it was when Beanie came to me and said he was really enjoying running behind me. It made me like I was doing something."
So he practiced with the running backs when preseason camp started, although, as promised, he has gained some time back with the defense the past few days. He had been listed in the 2008 media guide as a starter at outside linebacker, though Ross Homan occupies that spot now. The Buckeyes' depth at linebacker is one reason why the coaches wanted to try Terry at fullback.
"A lot of people would look at it and say I would be crazy to give up a starting position on one of the top defenses in the country to go play fullback, where you don't get that much glory," Terry said. "But at the same time, it is a big role that needs to be filled on our team. And for our team to be successful, I am going to do whatever it takes."

Torn ACL knocks Major out for season

Camera staff report
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Colorado freshman Jon Major, one of thestate’s top-two recruits last year, tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during practice Wednesday.
The linebacker is out for the season, Colorado coach Dan Hawkins confirmed Wednesday evening.
Major was suiting up at inside linebacker, the position that belonged to standout Jordon Dizon, now with the Detroit Lions. Major was expected to contend for significant playing time this season.
The Ponderosa High School graduate injured his knee during a non-contact drill at practice. His injury was the third torn ACL injury to hit the Buffs during training camp, all in non-contact drills. Freshman guard Mike Iltis tore his ACL on the first day of camp on Aug. 5 and junior defensive end Drew Hudgins tore his ACL last week.
Major was one of eight four-star recruits in Hawkins’ 2008 recruiting class.

Booted, Texas Tech defensive end Adrian Hamilton, a "team rules" victim who played an infinitismal role in about half the Raiders’ games last year but wasn't expected to break into the regular rotation with touted JUCOs Broderick Marshall, McKinner Dixon and Brandon Sesay coming aboard.

Another injury at NCST, leading WR from 2007, too many kids getting hurt before the season starts

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=top>NCSU star WR Donald Bowens is out for the season</TD><TD class="" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right 1??>Reply</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR color=#cccccc noShade>The Wolfpacker site reports that NCSU star junior wide receiver Donald Bowens is out for the season with a back injury suffered during Friday's Wolfpack Scrimmage.

Former Penn State DT plans to transfer to Baylor

var buzzSiteID = 'waco_tribuneh140'; var articleURI = location.href; var articleLocation = articleURI.replace(/(http:\/\/.*?\/).*?(\/.*)/, '$1services$2'); var yahooBuzzArticleId = buzzSiteID + ':' + articleLocation;
Friday, August 15, 2008
By John Werner
Tribune-Herald staff writer
Defensive tackle Phil Taylor said Thursday that he’s planning to transfer to Baylor after he was dismissed from the Penn State football team two weeks ago.
Penn State coach Joe Paterno suspended Taylor from the team in February. Taylor was involved in an on-campus fight last October, and was reportedly sentenced to one year probation for his role in the fight.
New: Photo slide show
<hr>Baylor football: fall camp
The Bears continue their preparations for the season opener Aug. 28 under new ball coach Art Briles.

Defensive tackle Chris Baker, who was involved in two separate fights, was also dismissed from the Penn State squad two weeks ago.
Taylor watched the Bears practice from the sidelines Thursday, and plans to enroll for Baylor’s fall semester. Under NCAA transfer rules, he’ll have to redshirt this fall at Baylor and will have two years of eligibility remaining beginning next season.
“This is a new beginning for me,” Taylor said. “I know a little bit about Baylor, but not a lot. You’ll see in the fall of 2009 what I’m going to do.”
Taylor said Brian Norwood recruited him to Penn State out of Gwynn Park High School in Clinton, Md., where he was a four-star recruit. Norwood was Penn State’s safeties coach before becoming Baylor’s defensive coordinator this season under first-year coach Art Briles.
“I had a real nice relationship with Coach Norwood, so it was a good deal on coming down here,” Taylor said.
The 6-4, 340-pound lineman played two seasons for the Nittany Lions, collecting 20 tackles, three sacks and two fumble recoveries last fall as a starter.
Briles had no comment Thursday since Taylor hasn’t enrolled at Baylor.

Injury knocks out AFA tight end

By JAKE SCHALLER
August 15, 2008 - 12:21AM
Concussions likely have ended the football career of Air Force tight end Steve Shaffer, Falcons coach Troy Calhoun said Thursday.
The 6-foot-4, 230-pound sophomore missed most of spring practice because of a concussion, and he has been out since suffering another one this month. Most disconcerting is that neither concussion was the result of a particularly violent hit.
"I just think it's serious enough that you just don't want it to be something that's going to hold him back from life," Calhoun said. "We've just got to make sure he's clear mentally."
Shaffer, who played in six games last season, was considered the most athletic of the team's tight ends. His absence further depletes a unit that will be without starter Travis Dekker (ankle) until early-to-mid October.
In addition, senior Z receiver Matt Davis will not play this year because of nagging injuries.
"The kid gave every bit of himself, and he's a tremendous competitor," Calhoun said of Davis, who will help out coaches this season.
"Physically, his body's just not to the point where he's going to be ready to play."
Progress on bowl, not DISH
Mountain West Conference commissioner Craig Thompson said the league is moving closer to securing a partnership with the Roady's Humanitarian Bowl, which is played in Boise, Idaho.
Thompson said the bowl's executive director is finalizing a proposal for a partnership in 2009 and a partnership for 2010 and beyond.
The league also hopes to have a contingency affiliation for this season, so if the Atlantic Coast Conference cannot provide a bowl-eligible team, the bowl would select a Mountain West team.
Thompson said there has been no progress toward getting The Mtn. on DISH Network, DirecTV's rival, and that the conference is close to completing the 2008-09 basketball schedule.

[FONT=arial, helvetica][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Rausch expected to be No. 1 at QB[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
By stephen tsai
HawaiiWarriorBeat.com Editor
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]The ballots have been counted, and all signs point to Brent Rausch being named the University of Hawai'i football team's No. 1 quarterback.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Head coach Greg McMackin said he, offensive coordinator Ron Lee and quarterbacks coach Nick Rolovich made their joint decision at the end of yesterday's practice. Last night, McMackin said, the choice would be revealed during today's practice.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]But the signs point to Rausch, who threw 48 percent of the passes in 7-on-7, team and red-zone drills yesterday. In addition, he was the quarterback on two of the four two-minute-drive series. Until yesterday, the snaps were spread evenly among Rausch, Greg Alexander and Inoke Funaki. "(Rausch) did great," Rolovich said of yesterday's workout. "He made some great throws. He knows where to go with the ball. The guys buy into his personality. He's vocal. He's confident. He wanted it."[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Rausch, a transfer from College of the Desert, was third on the depth chart behind Alexander and Funaki last week. But since Saturday, he has received the highest scores every day. The coaches rate every pass of every drill of every practice.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]"Brent keeps going like this," said Rolovich, raising his left hand in an upward-step motion. "When you look at it day by day, the graph goes (up)."[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Yesterday morning, Rolovich told McMackin: "Let's see what he's got. Let's give him a chance."[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]It was agreed that Rausch, for the first time in training camp, would be the leadoff quarterback in the passing drills.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]On Wednesday, Rausch did not participate in the afternoon drills because of tightness in his right (throwing) elbow.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]"Nothing to worry about," Rausch said.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Indeed, he came out firing yesterday, lasering completion after completion in the red-zone drill.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]He also excelled in the two-minute drill. To add to the drama, the defense was allowed to blitz and the offense was told it had to use silent counts. Against an aggressive defense and the clock — graduate assistant Craig Stutzmann would yell out the dwindling time — Rausch remained poised, completing passes to the flats and downfield.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]"I love the way he throws," Rolovich said. "He's very accurate. He has a strong arm. He throws a pretty ball. He controls it. He knows where he wants it, and he puts it there."[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Rolovich also is impressed with Rausch's U-turn in attitude. Entering training camp last week, it was decided the rotation would go like this: Funaki, a fourth-year junior who exited spring training as the co-No. 1 quarterback; Alexander, a junior-college transfer who has only two years to play two seasons; and then Rausch, who has three years to play three seasons.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Working with inexperienced receivers, Rausch had fallen behind Alexander and Funaki. Rausch became visibly discouraged.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]"He was upset about it," Rolovich said. "I told him: 'What are you getting upset about? You're getting reps. You're in Hawai'i.' I want to see how tough people are.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]"In the first few days," Rolovich added, "he struggled. I think it was his mindset, 'Oh, they've got me out of the competition. I'm just taking reps to take reps.' (After) the first two days, he was low on the grading. He was low on body language. He wasn't a good teammate as far as getting people going. He was quiet. He was kind of going in the tank. I said, 'Look, if you want to go in the tank, go in the tank. This isn't over for you.' "[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Recalling the conversation, Rausch said: "I had to suck it up, quit being a little baby. I'm glad he put it on me like that."[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]First, Rausch focused on gaining composure.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]"I was stressing too hard about making my throws," Rausch said. "I couldn't relax. ... I was down on myself. I definitely was. I thought I was going to be third string. Then stuff started coming together. I came out of my shell. Now, I can relax, look around and make my throws."[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]For Rausch, it has been a remarkable ascent.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]When he was young, his father gave him two extra-curricular options: football or boxing. Rausch's grandfather, Hank Rausch, was a Wisconsin champion boxer.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Rausch picked Option A.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]His neighborhood high school football team was led by a 5-foot-7, 220-pound quarterback who was the head coach's son. Figuring he would not play much at that school, he instead enrolled at Desert Chapel High in Palm Springs, Calif. That school competed in an eight-man-on-a-side football league.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]The offense did not have tackles or a fullback. When four receivers were used, Rausch was alone in the backfield, with little protection.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]"It was pretty fun," Rausch said. "I was a running back and quarterback in high school."[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]He then attended College of the Desert for two years, playing football — 11-on-11 for the first time in years — for one season.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Dan Morrison, who was UH's quarterbacks coach last year, spoke highly of Rausch to Rolovich, who was an assistant coach at City College of San Francisco. After Morrison left UH to join June Jones' new coaching staff at Southern Methodist, Rolovich was hired as the Warriors' quarterbacks coach in January. Rolovich remembered Rausch, and made the recommendation to Lee and McMackin. Rausch had visited UH on a family vacation the week before receiving the scholarship offer.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]"It's a good school," said Rausch, who quickly accepted. "I watched them a lot (on television) last year. I love their offense. It's a good place for me, being a passing quarterback. I'm not much of a runner."[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Soon after, UH also offered a scholarship to Alexander.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]"It's always good to have a challenge," Rausch said. "It makes everyone better."[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]In the final twist, SMU made a scholarship offer — the day Rausch signed a national letter of intent with UH.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]The offer was made through Rausch's junior-college coach. "He didn't even tell me about it until the day I signed," Rausch said. "It didn't get to me. But I didn't even consider going to Texas."[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Rausch, if chosen, will be stepping into the scrutiny. The last two UH starting quarterbacks — Tim Chang and Colt Brennan — are in the NCAA record book. Brennan finished third in the Heisman Trophy voting last December.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]At 6 feet 4 and 190 pounds, Rausch has drawn comparisons to the lanky Brennan. Rausch dismisses such talk.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]"I don't want to be compared to him," Rausch said. "He's a great quarterback. He definitely has a different style. He's definitely better than me."[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Rolovich, who was UH's starting quarterback in 2001, understands the pressure of being the quarterback of the state's only Division I football team.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]"Texas Tech wants to call itself Quarterback U or whatever, but coming after Colt Brennan is not the easiest job in the world," Rolovich said. "(The successor) needs to understand the importance in this state. That is a lot of pressure. Somebody has to handle it."[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Rolovich was in the Denver Broncos' training camp soon after John Elway retired.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]"(Brian) Griese struggled with it in Denver," Rolovich said. "Those are the experiences that I can vocalize. The people of this state have a passion for this football team, especially for this position."[/FONT]

Another injury at NCST, leading WR from 2007, too many kids getting hurt before the season starts

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td style="padding: 6px;" valign="top">NCSU star WR Donald Bowens is out for the season</td><td class="" style="padding: 6px;" 1??="" align="right" valign="bottom" nowrap="nowrap">Reply</td></tr></tbody></table>

<hr color="#cccccc" noshade="noshade">The Wolfpacker site reports that NCSU star junior wide receiver Donald Bowens is out for the season with a back injury suffered during Friday's Wolfpack Scrimmage.

That is a big one. Any doubt about whether or not SC was going to have 8 in the box to stop the run has just been removed.

It's Official: Richard Jackson Gone

<!--right content goes in here-->
<!--End right content div--> It's official. Junior wide receiver Richard Jackson is leaving Notre Dame, the school announced Friday morning. The transfer was initially reported Thursday by Blueandgold.com.
"I talked with Richard Thursday night and again this morning to make sure he had thoroughly thought this decision through," Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis said in a statement. "He informed me this morning that he intended to part ways with the program and transfer to a school closer to home."
Jackson played 1:40 during his two years with Notre Dame -- and it was on special teams during his freshman year. He sat out last season and was already being passed on the depth chart this fall by freshman Michael Floyd. Jackson, who was a Top 100 player nationally when he signed with Notre Dame, never freed himself from the logjam of receivers including starters David Grimes and Duval Kamara along with junior Robby Parris, sophomore Golden Tate, junior George West and the three freshmen: Floyd, John Goodman and Deion Walker.
What could be more concerning for Notre Dame is the diminishing numbers in the junior class. Jackson is the seventh member of that class to leave Notre Dame, joining quarterbacks Demetrius Jones and Zach Frazer, tight end Konrad Reuland, running back/cornerback Munir Prince and offensive lineman Matt Carufel and Bartley Webb. Some of those for differing reasons: Webb had a career-ending injury, Jones and Frazer left due to Jimmy Clausen.
And add to that Darrin Walls, who won't be with the team this year and isn't enrolled in school but is expected back in January.
Of those remaining from the class, eight are starters or potential starters.

OSU's William Cole tears knee ligament, will miss entire season

By Scott Wright
Staff Writer
STILLWATER — The Oklahoma State football team got the worst news it could get regarding receiver William Cole's right knee injury. The 6-foot, 180-pound sophomore has a torn anterior cruciate ligament and will be lost for the season, coach Mike Gundy said after his team's practice Friday evening.

ADVERTISEMENT
<!--spt_ads_article_300x250--> <!-- begin ad tag--> <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"> //<![CDATA[ ord=Math.random()*10000000000000000; document.write('<script language="JavaScript" src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/okp.newsok/sportsarticles;kw='+topten_check+','+dblck_att+';sz=300x250;ord=' + ord + '?" type="text/javascript"><'+'/script>'); </script><noscript></noscript> <!-- End ad tag -->
<script> function hideTabs() { $("dealyTabLink_sports").className = "dealyTabOff"; $("dealyTabLink_daily").className = "dealyTabOff"; $("dealyTabLink_weekly").className = "dealyTabOff"; $("dealyTabLink_comments").className = "dealyTabOff"; $("topTenDaily").style.display = "none"; $("topTenWeekly").style.display = "none"; $("topSports").style.display = "none"; $("topComments").style.display = "none"; } </script>
top_10_logo.gif
Today
This Week
Sports
Comments

Players and coaches alike have been raving throughout fall camp about Cole's skill with the ball in his hands. Earlier this month, co-offensive coordinator and receivers coach Trooper Taylor even went as far as to say, "he's gonna be one of the great players they'll talk about around here for a long time” of the Cedar Hill, Texas, product.
With the potential for a breakout season from Cole now pushed back a year, where do the Cowboys look to fill that void?
"Artie Woods and (Jeremy) Broadway and DeMarcus Connor,” Gundy said. "Those guys are experienced guys that will have to step up and make some plays.”
Gundy could have to turn to one of his three true freshmen, Isaiah Anderson, Justin Blackmon or Adrian Richards, should the need for added depth arise.
"We may have to use a true freshman in a backup role,” he said. "We'll make sure we have one ready, and if so, we'll have to use him.”
Cole will also be missed as a kick returner, where he was pushing for the opportunity to play. Perrish Cox, Dez Bryant and Travis Miller are among the candidates to fill those two spots.
The injury occurred rather harmlessly in Wednesday's practice.
"It was just a football move, just a guy making a cut,” Gundy said. "Just a typical knee injury. You see it all the time.”
Cole's surgery should take place in the next five-to-seven days after swelling subsides. At that time, the full severity of the injury will be known. For now, Gundy anticipates Cole being back on the field in approximately five months.
Cole played but contributed little in his freshman season, after starting the year in the defensive backfield. He switched to receiver in mid-September and caught two passes. But since he did not use his redshirt year, Cole will have three years of eligibility remaining at the start of next season.
"It'll give him a chance to mature a little bit and work in the classroom,” Gundy said. "He'll still do a lot of upper-body strength and conditioning.”
In the case of a season-ending injury, it often becomes important to keep the injured player involved with the team to boost motivation and focus in the rehabilitation process.
"It's important that our team take good care of him right now,” Gundy said of Cole. "They're gonna have to keep him in the loop. His mental frame of mind was pretty good, but he'll go through a time in the next week or so when I'm sure he'll be a little depressed.
"We all have setbacks in life. That's part of what we do in college football. We learn how to handle adversity and find out our true colors in tough times.”

Texas backup RB Fozzy Whittaker injured his knee in practice today and was carted off the field. Will have to see how serious this is.

Taking WYO -9 against Ohio, did you see this happening, Garf?

Cowboys choose Crum
<table class="print_table"> <tbody><tr> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photocutline">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
By AUSTIN WARD
Star-Tribune staff writer
The passes seemed crisper.

The Wyoming outlooks were a little brighter.

Even Cowboys that hardly need an extra spring in their steps appeared to be moving quicker to UW coach Joe Glenn after he finally announced Dax Crum as his starting quarterback.

"(Devin Moore) made another one of those 'R2' (video game) cuts," Glenn said. "I thought D-Mo was really smiling, and I could feel the relaxation from the entire team.

"It was, 'Here's our guy, lets get behind him.' Let's get it on."

It's taken the better part of five months for the Cowboys to move on at quarterback, which has visibly taken a toll on everybody in the program.

After failing to make a decision in the spring, speculation spilled over into the summer and perhaps added to the pressure on Glenn and UW leading into fall camp.

The first two weeks of practice and a shaky scrimmage didn't do much to quell it either, though Glenn seems certain he has the right guy now.

Not to mention a more than capable backup in two-year starter Karsten Sween.

"We really needed to get to one guy and let him start getting the work," Glenn said. "It was pretty obvious in practice (Friday) that the edge was off, that they didn't have to make every pass perfect, and honestly Dax had a great practice.

"Karsten was on, probably didn't get as many reps as he normally does, but I just think we did the right thing."

He didn't get much argument from Moore, who's always given his full support to whomever takes the snaps.

The senior running back never took sides and put his faith in the coaching staff, stressing since spring ball that any of the quarterbacks on the roster could lead the Cowboys back to a bowl game.

"We're still behind every other quarterback, but Dax is our man," Moore said. "He gets 110 percent from us right now, that's for sure.

"We're very relieved to get it over with, we're happy about it. We think Dax is a great leader and can be the guy to step up and get things done."

The elevation of the junior college transfer to the top of the depth chart should make it easier for the rest of the Cowboys to get things done without answering too many questions about the quarterback situation.

At least for now UW has finally put the matter to rest.

"The kid will do a great job," Glenn said. "He has a lot of poise. He's got a much better command of what we're doing now than in the spring, and he's a dude, now. He'll be a great quarterback for us.

"By nature of the fact that he's now No. 1, I think Dax can also lead a little bit easier. He's got the keys to the car."

Everybody's ready to get on the road.

n <b>DEPTH CHECK:</b> Defensive coordinator Mike Breske had his own position battles to sort out, albeit with considerably less fanfare.

Most notably, Breske installed the Gipson brothers, Marcell and Tashaun, as his cornerbacks and moved senior Quincy Rogers to strong safety to make room for Buffalo native Chris Prosinski in the starting lineup.

On the offensive side of the ball, Donate Morgan, Brandon Stewart and Greg Bolling emerged from a crowded field to win the starting jobs at receiver.

n <b>BUMPS AND BRUISES:</b> Chris Johnson always seem to be battling something.

The senior receiver might finally be over his recurring thumb injury, but for the second time this week Johnson had to deal with a tender ankle that could keep him out of practice for a few days.

"He was gritting his teeth pretty hard," Glenn said. "It's tough to miss time right now when we're going through installation."

Contact sports reporter Austin Ward at (307) 266-0634 or austin.ward@trib.com.

Cowboys Tracker

<b>FRIDAY:</b> Wyoming continued practice during fall camp, but more important, finally tabbed a starting quarterback.

<b>AND THE WINNER IS:</b> Junior college transfer Dax Crum earned the nod over two-year starter Karsten Sween, ending a battle that's carried over from the spring nearly two weeks into camp.

<b>HE SAID IT:</b> "He'll be a great quarterback for us." -- UW coach Joe Glenn.

<b>UP NEXT:</b> A morning practice today for the Cowboys.

Phil Steele just updated his injury list. We have most of them, but there are a number we don't, like 4 dismissals from Bowling Green including a starting and #2 DT.

[FONT=arial, helvetica][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Iowa football: Moeaki, Stross out for opener[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
By RANDY PETERSON
randypeterson@dmreg.com
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Iowa City, Ia. - Injuries will prevent at least two expected Iowa starters from playing in the opening football game, coach Kirk Ferentz said after watching his team perform in a "disappointing" scrimmage Saturday.

Tight end Tony Moeaki is recovering from foot surgery, while receiver Trey Stross continues to have hamstring problems. Therefore, both will watch from the sidelines when the Hawkeyes face Maine Aug. 30 at Kinnick Stadium.

"We've got too many guys out right now," Ferentz said after an open scrimmage in front of 1,500 fans or so at Kinnick Stadium. "Thank goodness we don't have to play tomorrow. There's probably no one we could schedule that we could compete with. We've got a ways to go."

Moeaki caught 14 passes for 170 yards and three touchdowns before dislocating an elbow in a game against Wisconsin. He missed the last eight games, and then sat out spring practice after undergoing wrist surgery.

Stross caught 16 passes for 272 yards and four touchdowns in eight games. He missed the other four due to hamstring problems.

"I wouldn't want to predict," Ferentz said when asked about the junior's return.

Those are just two of numerous injuries on a team trying to regroup from the 6-6 record of 2007.

Offensive lineman Bryan Bulaga bruised a bone Wednesday, but is expected to return Monday. That's also when defensive lineman Christian Ballard and receiver Andy Brodell are expected back from undisclosed injuries.

"We might have a parade or a big party," Ferentz cracked.

Jordan Bernstine, expected to contend at cornerback and on special teams, could be sidelined longer with a hamstring injury. He's missed so much practice time that Ferentz said:

"I think I've seen his picture on a milk carton," Ferentz said. "I haven't seen much of him out here."

Another negative is the offense, where 13-game starter Jake Christensen and backup Ricky Stanzi had subpar practices Saturday.

"We didn't play so well on offense," said Christensen, who connected with tight end Brandon Myers for a 58-yard pass during a blitz drill. "We've got a lot of work to do. We need to look better, that's for sure."

Iowa averaged 18.5 points last season, the third-worst total since Ferentz became the coach in 1999.

"We left the field Tuesday morning feeling pretty good," the coach said. "Today was probably the exact opposite.

"I don't know how many points we averaged last year, but if we practice the way we did (Saturday), then we'll be on the same path.

"We're up against a race against time to get ready for our opener. We've got a lot of work to do. I'm concerned."

So what makes Ferentz smile?

"The return of Shonn Greene," he said of the tailback who didn't play last season while improving his academics. "At this point, he's No. 1."
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]That's good news for Iowa fans, considering he's the only tailback with collegiate carries.

"I'm ready to go," Greene said Saturday, admitting his weight ballooned to 249 before trimming back to 228. "I'm healthy and I have fresh legs. I'm ready to do anything I can to help this team win."
[/FONT]

4 dismissals from Bowling Green including a starting and #2 DT.

Do some reading about that and you find that the program has had a terrible time with off the field issues ( brushes with the law ) this offseason. With character guys like that , and being in the MAC , have to wonder about that tulsa bowl game a little bit now.....

Newsbits: Zirbel, Huyge Injured

from mgoblog by Brian

Ugh. Michigan’s offensive line, already paper thin after a wide variety of departures, is the last place Michigan can afford an injury. So this is lame: reports from Fan Day indicate that Mark Huyge has a high ankle sprain and the injury that held Corey Zirbel out of the last week of camp is going to last into the season. A high ankle sprain can linger a long time, so Huyge might not be heard from until midseason. He wasn’t being mentioned as a potential starter, but he’s one of the few non-freshman (of the true variety) available past the starters. Zirbel’s issue is apparently less severe but there’s talk of minor knee surgery and he will miss at least the Utah game. If you’ve got a Rivals subscription you can hear him say it sucks about 30 times in four minutes. Zirbel had locked down a starting guard spot. His loss presses Dave Molk into the lineup at center; David Moosman slides over to guard.
In the absence of the two injured linemen, Michigan now has one backup who’s not a true freshman: redshirt sophomore tackle Perry Dorrestein. Hopefully Zirbel returns ASAP.

Hokies suspend Luckett for policy violation

<!-- // Writer Attribution// --><!-- Meta Tag For Search --><!-- meta name="author" content=""--><!-- meta name="source" content="Associated Press"--><!-- meta name="eventId" content=""--><!-- meta name="contentTypeCode" content="1"--><!-- meta name="editorContentCode" content="1"--><!-- meta name="blurb" content="Virginia Tech suspended receiver Zach Luckett indefinitely Monday for a violation of team policy.Coach Frank Beamer had no further comment beyond announcing the suspension of the 6-foot-3, 212-pound redshirt sophomore.Luckett was expected to start this season after playing all 14 games last season. He caught two passes for 15 yards made 15 tackles on special teams.The Hokies are ranked 17th in The Associated Press preseason poll."--><!-- meta name="modDate" content="August 18, 2008 17:55:19 GMT"-->

<!-- // Story Tools // --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>addthis_pub = 'foxSports';</SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://s7.addthis.com/js/152/addthis_widget.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>Updated: August 18, 2008, 12:55 PM EST 14 comments

Coach Frank Beamer had no further comment beyond announcing the suspension of the 6-foot-3, 212-pound redshirt sophomore.
Luckett was expected to start this season after playing all 14 games last season. He caught two passes for 15 yards made 15 tackles on special teams. The Hokies are ranked 17th in The Associated Press preseason poll.

Virginia Tech suspends WR Luckett

August 18, 2008

<SCRIPT language=Javascript src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/swf.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next For vCount = 2 to 6 If Not(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & vCount))) Then Else bFlash = true flashVersion = vCount End IfNext </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript><!--bMacComputer = (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1);if (bMacComputer == true) { document.write("[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy, Impact, Arial Black, Arial]Virginia Tech suspends WR Luckett[/FONT]

");}else{ var swf= new objSWF(); swf.fullpath = "http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf" swf.bgcolor = "#FFFFFF"; swf.salign = "lt"; swf.scale="noborder"; swf.width = "620"; swf.height = "60"; swf.fontcolor = "000000"; swf.h1 = "Virginia Tech suspends WR Luckett "; swf.h2 = ""; swf.shadow = 1; swf.url=""; swf.version = 6; swf.cab = "6,0,0,0"; swf.alt = "Virginia Tech suspends WR Luckett"; RunGenObj(swf.drawflash())}//--></SCRIPT><OBJECT id=rvflash codeBase=http://active.macromedia.com/flash2/cabs/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0 height=60 width=620 classid=clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000>

</p>&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
<EMBED SRC=""http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf?h1=Virginia+Tech+suspends+WR+Luckett+&h2=&lwidth=620&lheight=60&lshadow=1&sFontColor=000000&sLink= WIDTH=620 HEIGHT=60 SALIGN=lt QUALITY=best SCALE=noborder wmode=transparent ID=rvflash NAME=rvflash BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF TYPE=application/x-shockwave-flash PLUGINSPAGE=http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash></EMBED></OBJECT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>

Associated Press
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>
More: Preseason: No. 17 Virginia Tech | Hokies' receivers rank last in ACC unit rankings
BLACKSBURG, Va.Virginia Tech suspended receiver Zach Luckett indefinitely Monday for a violation of team policy.
Coach Frank Beamer had no further comment beyond announcing the suspension of the 6-foot-3, 212-pound redshirt sophomore.
Luckett was expected to start this season after playing all 14 games last season. He caught two passes for 15 yards made 15 tackles on special teams. The Hokies are ranked 17th in The Associated Press preseason poll.

Defensive end White rejoins Seminoles day after seizure

Associated Press
Updated: August 15, 2008, 7:32 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida State defensive end Markus White returned to practice Friday, a day after suffering a seizure and missing practice.

FSU officials said White takes medication to control an undisclosed medical condition and that Thursday was not the first time he had a seizure.

The junior college transfer White had a school-record 24½ sacks last season at Butler Community College in Kansas to earn national junior college defensive player of the year.

"He looked a little rusty. He had been off a day," FSU defensive ends coach Jody Allen said Friday. "He wasn't back to where he was when he left, but that's understandable after going through a day of that. He went through the whole practice. I think he's going to be fine."

nothin offical from urban meyer but looks like brandon james might of slipped?

Harvin possibly out 1-2 games, according to James; And Rainey DID get into a scuffle with Harvin

IN THE NEWS: Gators No.5 in writers' poll.

GAINESVILLE -- Florida junior Brandon James said on Saturday that Gators receiver Percy Harvin will "probably only miss one or two games" to begin the season.

Florida opens the season on Aug. 30 against Hawaii before hosting rival Miami on Sept. 6. James' revelation on Saturday was team's first mention of Harvin possibly sitting out games. Florida coach Urban Meyer was not available for comment on Saturday.

James, an all-SEC return specialist, is filling in for Harvin at receiver until the Heisman Trophy candidate is cleared for practice. Harvin had offseason surgery to correct a chronic heel injury. He participated in the Gators’ first session of fall camp but hasn’t practiced since.

“I’m just hitting it hard and staying on my game if he’s going to be out there,” James said.

Harvin, a junior, led the Gators in receiving last season with 58 receptions for 858 yards despite missing two games due to migraine headaches. Harvin also ranked second on the team in rushing (764 yards on 83 carries).

Harvin's inability to practice is apparently weighing on his patience. According to teammate Chris Rainey, Harvin and Rainey got into a fight during the first week of fall camp. Both players were sitting out of practice with injuries when the fight occurred, according to Rainey.

“He was frustrated,” Rainey said.

Rainey said that Harvin started the fight.

things keep getting worse and worse and worse for florida and the line keeps going up. This is awesome.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">Penn State DT Still out 8-to-10 weeks with broken ankle

• Still's injury occurred during a scrimmage Saturday
  • The redshirt freshman was expected to provide depth in a defensive tackle
  • Still also sat out last year with a left knee injury
</td></tr></tbody></table>STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) -- Penn State defensive tackle Devon Still broke his left ankle in practice and will be out 8-to-10 weeks.
Team spokesman Jeff Nelson says Still's injury occurred during a scrimmage Saturday. Still is scheduled to have surgery.
The redshirt freshman was expected to provide depth in a defensive tackle rotation that will already be without Chris Baker and Phil Taylor, who were kicked off the squad earlier this month for off-field issues.
Still also sat out last year with a left knee injury.
The 22nd-ranked Nittany Lions kick off the season Aug. 30 against Coastal Carolina.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">SMU QB race no longer includes two-year starter Willis

• Jones narrowed down the quarterback derby to two freshmen
  • That leaves Willis, a junior, in the No. 3 spot
  • Willis is SMU's career leader in touchdown passes with 51
</td></tr></tbody></table>DALLAS (AP) -- SMU coach June Jones' search for a quarterback to lead his run-and-shoot offense will no longer include Justin Willis, a two-year starter and former Conference USA Freshman of the Year.
Jones on Monday narrowed down the starting quarterback derby to two freshmen: Bo Levi Mitchell and Braden Smith.
That leaves Willis, a junior, in the No. 3 spot. Willis is SMU's career leader in touchdown passes with 51. He was an honorable mention all-conference selection last season, when he set a school record for total yards with 3,643.
"After going through all of the tapes, I felt like Bo and Braden had a better understanding of the offense," Jones said. "I think they're executing a little bit better, so we're going to give them the reps. We will continue to give the other guys reps too, but those guys will get the focus."
Jones said he told Willis to stay ready to play.
"I told Justin he's only one or two plays away from being the guy, so he's got to be ready," Jones said. "We're going in the other direction right now, but the other guys have got to be ready."

It’s Sumler time at CU
By Patrick Ridgell
Longmont Times-Call

BOULDER — Several position battles continue to rage within the Colorado football program. The one at tailback has, for now, found a starter. Running backs coach Darian Hagan said Sunday night, following the Buffaloes’ second scrimmage of August camp, that sophomore Demetrius Sumler will be their starting tailback when the season opens Aug. 31 against Colorado State.
Winning the job shouldn’t be seen as an upset, considering Sumler’s experience compared to the rest of the roster and Brian Lockridge’s lingering problems from last spring’s hernia surgery. But the excitement that accompanied February’s signings of Darrell Scott, the nation’s highest-rated prep running back, plus Ray Polk and Rodney Stewart, combined with the spotlight they’ve received in camp makes Sumler’s victory notable.
“I thought the young guys were going to come in and push, which they have,” Hagan said. “But they haven’t pushed by him. We’re getting better. But we have to patch it up a little bit and I think we’ll be fine.”
Sumler carried 100 times for 335 yards and four touchdowns last year. Lockridge had 38 carries in 2007, but he is not playing now.
Sumler said he never considered leaving after CU signed the freshmen last winter.
“My dad didn’t raise no quitter, my mom didn’t raise any quitter,” Sumler said.
“Our coaching staff is going to play the best players. I felt like I can play at this level. I wasn’t going to shy away from the competition.”
At least one teammate said Hagan is making the right choice.
“(Sumler) should be starting,” quarterback Cody Hawkins said. “He’s doing an awesome job of being a leader this year, and nothing against those other guys, but Demetrius is doing an awesome job of leading those guys and doing everything asked of him — pass protecting, catching and running and in the classroom.”
Hagan continues to say the three freshmen probably won’t redshirt. Hagan said behind Sumler is “probably a committee.” Junior Kevin Moyd has been “playing his tail off,” and Stewart is a little ahead of Scott and Polk.
Scott might be used in short-yardage and goal-line situations, Hagan said, while he refines the way coaches want him to run in CU’s offense.
“(Scott) gets his pads down and gets vertical,” Hagan said.
“That’s the thing, he’s not used to really getting his shoulders square, going down by the quarterback and then trying to square up again and get in the hole. He’s not good at that, so I have to get more practice with him at that.”
Hagan added Polk hasn’t been a tailback as long as the others.
“Once he gets it all figured out, he’s going to be dangerous,” Hagan said.
Scott’s groin remains sore. He took more snaps with the first string as Sunday’s scrimmage passed, and finished with six carries for 36 yards. That included an 18-yarder in which he ran over two tacklers before a third wrestled him down.
Scott said his groin is “not that hurt; I just need to rehab it.”
Sumler said he planned to start, and that he wanted to start last year when Hugh Charles was entrenched at tailback. Sumler did, when Charles was hurt.
Sumler said he wants to help coach his younger teammates because he realizes CU needs them.
“Those young guys have a lot of talent, but this is a whole other level,” Sumler said. “They’re struggling a little bit, but we all do as freshmen. You don’t really expect a freshman to come in and know pass blocking and that kind of thing because they don’t do it in high school.”

Back