Official Thread Re Injuries, Suspensions, and Dismissals NOT in Steele

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Lowe not part of the Tide's official 105-man roster

TUSCALOOSA | University of Alabama senior running back/kick returner Jonathan Lowe, who has been a no-show the first two days of practice, is not part of the Crimson Tide’s 105-man practice roster and is not expected to return any time soon.
“We didn’t invite him back to fall camp,” head coach Nick Saban said.
Saban pointed out Lowe didn’t stay in Tuscaloosa during the summer to participate in voluntary workouts with the team.
“We felt like these were the guys who we wanted to invite to camp and we just made a decision to move on,” Saban said.
Lowe may or may not join the team when the roster expands with the start of classes on Aug. 19.
“I haven’t discussed whether he wants to come back out when school starts or not,” Saban said.
Saban also addressed sophomore wide receiver Darius Hanks’ injury.
“Hanks is in a black shirt because he had a shoulder injury in the spring,” Saban said. “He had surgery right after spring practice and at least for the first week he’s cleared to practice.”
Saban said Hanks would not have had any contact if the team was practicing in full pads, but since the first two days consisted of shorts, shirts and helmets, Hanks was allowed to fully participate. Workouts in full pads began Sunday.
Saban opened Sunday morning’s press conference with his condolences for
the Stallings family for the loss of John Mark Stallings, son of former UA head coach Gene Stallings, who died Saturday morning in Texas.
“Their loss is certainly felt by all of us,” Saban said. “John Mark was someone who I grew to love in a very short period of time in terms of his passion and spirit for the University of Alabama as well as life and how he affected so many people in this community.”
UA defensive coordinator Kevin Steele also expressed his sympathy.
“It’s a tough time for them,” Steele said. “Anybody whoever met John Mark
... he was definitely full of sunshine.”
[/FONT]

Gamecocks reinstate oft-suspended QB Garcia

By Chris CoxJuly 31, 2008

Source: The Daily Gamecock, U. South Carolina

EmailPrint

Redshirt freshman quarterback Stephen Garcia has been reinstated to the Gamecock football team 14 days earlier than planned, the university announced.

Garcia, a Tampa, Fla., native, was originally suspended on March 25 stemming from underage drinking allegations and improper use of a fire extinguisher in a USC dormitory.

"I thank everyone at the University of South Carolina that was involved with my reinstatement - for giving me another chance to be a student-athlete here," Garcia said in a news release.

Garcia had previously been suspended for the spring of 2006 following the keying of a car on campus and underage drinking.

Garcia said he hopes that his troublesome days are behind him and can now cast a positive light on the Gamecock football program.

"All I can say is that I will try to be the best student-athlete I can during my career here and make this decision a positive one for our university," Garcia said.

The USC football program is scheduled to have their first meeting of the 2008 season Thursday at Williams-Brice Stadium, but since Garcia's reinstatement does not take full affect until Friday, he is unlikely to attend the meeting.

The first practice of the 2008 season is schedule for Friday at 7:30 p.m. at the practice fields on Bluff Road.

Garcia will begin as the third-string quarterback behind Chris Smelley and starter Tommy Beecher, according to USC coach Steve Spurrier.

"The media attention needs to go to Tommy Beecher and the other players on our team," Garcia said. "I will not start talking to the media until I begin playing in the real games here at Carolina."

Utah State football: QB leaves team for personal reasons

Published: Monday, Aug. 4, 2008 12:05 a.m. MDT
bubble6.gif
15 comments
E-MAIL | PRINT | FONT + -

LOGAN — Utah State football coach Brent Guy announced junior quarterback Jase McCormick left the team after meeting with Guy on Sunday afternoon. "Jase has had some major life changes, his focus is different and he's not going to play football anymore," Guy said in a statement. "He's just going to stress his academics and graduate in December.
"We respect his decision, we know it's been a difficult one for him and one that he has thought a great deal about. We're disappointed to see him leave and wish him the best."
McCormick saw action in four games last season, going 25-of-40 passing for 258 yards on the season with two touchdowns and five interceptions. He also had 66 rushing yards on 28 attempts.
When the Aggies reported for camp on Saturday, McCormick was not in attendance. The former Northridge High star told his coaches on Sunday he was ending his playing days.
The departure of McCormick from the roster tightens up the competition for the starting job. Senior Sean Setzer may have the inside track, but sophomore Diondre Borel and freshmen Ben Longshore and Exavier Johnson will also factor into the competition.
Setzer is now the only Aggie quarterback to have thrown a pass in a Division I game. He completed that pass for a 2-yard gain against Boise State.

Story continues below
<script type="text/javascript">document.writeln(AAMB6);</script><script language="javascript" src="http://media.fastclick.net/w/get.media?sid=10168&m=6&tp=8&d=j&t=n"></script><!-- -------------- Advertising.com ------ Media One of Utah - Deseretnews.com 300x250-745295 ------------ --> <script type="text/javascript"> var ACE_AR = {Site: '745295', Size: '300250'}; </script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://uac.advertising.com/wrapper/aceUAC.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="http://r1.beta.ace.advertising.com/site=745295/size=300250/u=1/bnum=88582308/hr=18/hl=1/c=3/scres=1/swh=1280x768/tile=2/f=0/as=3/r=1/optn=1/fv=9/dref=http%253A%252F%252Fdeseretnews.com%252Fdn%252Fview%252F0%252C5143%252C700248200%252C00.html"></script><object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0" width="300" height="250">

<embed src="http://bannerfarm.ace.advertising.com/bannerfarm/114035/education_300x250_h70fa_ad.swf?clickTag=http://servedby.advertising.com/click/site=0000745295/mnum=0000586282/cstr=88582308=_4897a75c,4269461982,745295%5E586282%5E1%5E0,1_/bnum=88582308&siteValue=0000745295" quality="high" wmode="opaque" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" width="300" height="250"></object> <!-- ---------- Copyright 2007, Advertising.com ---------- -->
pageid=87450605

The Aggies return to the practice field today at 10 a.m. and will hold their first scrimmage of the season on Saturday at 3 p.m.

Despite Arrest, Wilson Is Back With Gators

Florida defensive lineman Ronnie Wilson returned to the team this week as a walk-on despite an apparent violation earlier this year of his probation.

Wilson was kicked out of school last year after he spit on and slapped a man during a scuffle at a nightclub on the morning of April 5, 2007, according to a Gainesville police report. Wilson is said to have waited outside for the man to leave the club and later pulled an AK-47 from the trunk of his car and fired shots into the air. You can hear the shots being fired on a 911 call that is linked here.

Wilson pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges of battery and discharging a firearm in public and was booted out of the university.

He was allowed to enroll in the spring semester on Jan. 7, 2008, a day after he was arrested again and charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana, according to court records obtained by the Miami Herald. The arrest was an apparent violation of his probation

The marijuana charge was dropped on April 3. Terms of Wilson's probation end April 21, 2009.

Urban Meyer acknowledged he was aware of Wilson's arrest in January and told the Herald that the lineman wasn't officially back on the team. But the junior is listed on Florida's roster that was distributed and he was given his old jersey number 70.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">BYU starter Sorensen expected to miss next 4-6 weeks

</td><td class="col1">Story Highlights
  • Sorensen may need surgery on his shoulder
  • He was expected to start at center this season
  • BYU may move all-conference tackle Dallas Reynolds to center
</td></tr></tbody></table><table class="cnninlineright" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>PROVO, Utah (AP) -- Brigham Young center Tom Sorensen is expected to miss the next 4-6 weeks with a shoulder injury.
Coach Bronco Mendenhall said after practice Tuesday that Sorensen may need surgery.
Sorensen, a junior who transferred from Vanderbilt two years ago, was expected to start this season. Mendenhall said the Cougars could move all-conference tackle Dallas Reynolds to center while Sorensen recovers.
BYU opens the season Aug. 30 at home against Northern Iowa.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">Potential starting QB Pulley dismissed from Kentucky

• The dismissal followed Pulley's second brush with the law in as many months
  • Brooks made the announcement at the team's preseason media day
  • Pulley had been competing with Mike Hartline for the starting QB job
</td></tr></tbody></table><table class="cnninlineright" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) -- Curtis Pulley's off-field problems never allowed him to live up to his on-field promise.
The talented but troubled Kentucky quarterback was dismissed from the team Tuesday by coach Rich Brooks for a violation of team rules, a move that hands the starting quarterback job Pulley long coveted to sophomore Mike Hartline.
"I'm in the business of taking a young man and building him into a responsible young man, and obviously I feel like I've failed in this situation," Brooks said. "Sometimes for the better good of the whole, some parts have to be sacrificed."
The dismissal follows a turbulent offseason for Pulley that included a pair of run-ins with police. Pulley was arrested on traffic charges in Hardin County on July 22 and pleaded guilty to speeding in district court last week. He received a citation for marijuana possession in Louisville in June.
Brooks said last week Pulley would miss playing time because of his legal troubles but still had a chance to win the starting job. The coach reconsidered after getting more details on Pulley's situation.
"There is basically a little more as I delved into it than I was aware of at the time," Brooks said.
The decision came as a "shock" to Hartline, who will likely be the starter when the Wildcats open the season at Louisville on Aug. 31.
"I knew he was going to get in some playing time troubles," Hartline said. "But in the end it's all about what you have and how you plan to move on. Since he's not on our team anymore, it's tragic and everybody wants him on our team, but we can't really dwell on it."
Brooks said he's not concerned about Hartline's ability to lead the Wildcats, though he would have preferred to give the job to Hartline based on merit, not necessity.
"I had hoped this wouldn't be the way that the starting quarterback would be named," Brooks said. "I would have rather have done it on the field and without controversy."
Controversy, however, seemed to dog Pulley nearly from the moment he stepped on campus.
Named Kentucky's "Mr. Football" following his senior season at Hopkinsville (Ky.) in 2004, Pulley's combination of speed and athleticism caught the eye of offensive coordinator Joker Phillips.
"When you recruit a kid, you get all these expectations of Curtis being a great player, and he is a great player, we just never saw it at Kentucky," Phillips said.
Pulley played sporadically at wide receiver and quarterback in 2005 and 2006, but left school briefly after losing a quarterback battle with Andre Woodson. He returned last fall and starred on the offensive scout team and appeared to have turned a corner during the spring, showing flashes of brilliance at times during the team's annual Blue-White game. Pulley passed for 134 yards and ran for another 82, including the game-clinching 17-yard touchdown in the final minute.
Brooks said afterward he was in no hurry to name a starter, though Phillips hinted during the summer that Hartline had gained an edge during offseason workouts by displaying the kind of leadership qualities Phillips is looking for in a quarterback.
"(Curtis) had improved, it wasn't as bad as it was the year he lost his job to Andre," Phillips said. "We just thought that Mike was the guy that was leading the guys the right way. Curtis was better, but Mike was ahead of him in the area as far as leading."
Pulley has two years of eligibility remaining, and Brooks said he anticipates Pulley transferring to a Football Championship Subdivision school.
Brooks said he wasn't trying to send a message by dismissing Pulley but felt it may have shown his players that they will be held accountable for their actions both on and off the field.
"I'd like to think we try to keep a fairly high standard here," Brooks said. "I want to continue that, but it still breaks my heart any time something like that happens."

Wisconsin Boots Lance Smith Off Team

Posted Aug 5th 2008 9:21AM by Tom Fornelli (author feed)
Filed under: Wisconsin, Big 10, NCAA FB Police Blotter
lancesmithbooted.jpg
Last season Wisconsin running back Lance Smith was not allowed to travel with the team on road trips thanks to pleading guilty to charges of battery and disorderly conduct after getting into a fight with his girlfriend. As long as he followed the rules of the of the first-offenders program he was put into afterwards, Smith was going to avoid any jail time and could continue playing for the Badgers.

Then a month ago it was announced that Bret Bielema had suspended Smith when he failed to live up to the requirements of the program, and on Monday Bielema decided he didn't want to deal with Smith's antics any longer. Which is why Smith was kicked off the team.
Coach Bret Bielema, who suspended Smith last month, announced the dismissal after the team's first practice of the season.

What Smith did to be removed from the first-offender program has not been disclosed.

Smith's case will now be sent back to court for sentencing on battery and disorderly conduct charges.​
Smith rushed for 429 yards in seven games for the Badgers last season, averaging six yards per carry, and scored three touchdowns. Still, with P.J. Hill, Zach Brown, and John Clay also on the depth chart, I don't think Smith's absence will hurt the Badgers too much this season.

As for Lance, well, I hope he has a good lawyer.

UK starting cornerback academically ineligible

By Chip Cosby

ccosby@herald-leader.com

<!-- photo or image available --> <!-- Start: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_embedded.comp -->
Paul Warford started 11 games last season as a sophomore.
<!-- End: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_embedded.comp -->
<!-- Start: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_thumbnail.comp --> <!-- End: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_thumbnail.comp --> <!-- no polls to display -->

University of Kentucky starting cornerback Paul Warford has been ruled academically ineligible.
The 5-foot-10, 200-pound Warford, a Madison Central graduate, started 11 games in 2007 and was second on the team in pass breakups with nine. Warford will not be enrolled in classes for the fall semester, but he hopes to re-enroll in the spring. He has a redshirt year available, so he would still have two years of eligibility if he returns to the team in 2009.
Also, the status of senior offensive lineman Christian Johnson is uncertain because of a back injury and eligibility issues. Physically, Johnson could return to practice by the end of August, but if the eligibility issues are not resolved he might have to sit out the year.
Johnson has played in 36 games over the past three seasons, including 15 as a starter. He was the team's starting left guard as a sophomore in 2006. Johnson has a redshirt year available and could return in 2009 if he were to miss the upcoming season.
Warford was suspended in February for a violation of team rules, but he was re-instated for the start of spring practice. Senior David Jones had an impressive spring and will probably move into the starting cornerback spot opposite junior Trevard Lindley.
Johnson was beaten out by Zipp Duncan at left guard last fall, but he had edged ahead of Duncan by the end of spring.
The rest of the UK football team reported for fall camp Monday. Included in that group were 19 of UK's freshman signees, all of whom were on campus taking classes and working out this summer. The only signee not to report was South Carolina defensive lineman Donte Rumph, who will head to Fork Union Military Academy later this month.
According to player reports, two of the more impressive freshmen in summer workouts were Randall Cobb and Danny Trevathan. Cobb was recruited as a quarterback, but he might play receiver this fall because of UK's lack of depth at the position. The Wildcats plucked Cobb out of Alcoa, Tenn., which is in the University of Tennessee's backyard.
Trevathan is a native of Leesburg, Fla., just outside of Orlando. Trevathan was recruited by defensive line coach Rick Petri, who was a longtime assistant at the University of Miami.
UK also brought in another recruit from Florida, Eric Adeyemi, who is being counted on to bring some needed speed to the Wildcat receiving corps.
Trevathan said he grew up a University of Miami fan, but Adeyemi said he rooted for both Miami and Florida State. “It depended on who was better,” Adeyemi said. “I was just on the bandwagon.”

Linebacker E.J. Savannah sidelined with poor grades

By Bob Condotta
Seattle Times staff reporter

Washington coach Tyrone Willingham made a point of telling reporters before his team's first practice Monday that there were 101 players on the roster.
The spotlight, however, inevitably fell on a few players who surprisingly weren't there, most notably linebacker E.J. Savannah, the team's leading tackler last season.
The junior from Bellevue was expected to miss the beginning of practice because of a broken humerus bone in his arm. But Willingham announced that Savannah is academically ineligible, and said that if he gets that cleared up, there are other unspecified issues that must be addressed before he could return to the team.
"The parties involved know what they are," Willingham said, adding that he wouldn't guess as to when Savannah could be back. "Sometimes those things can change overnight. Sometimes they may be forever."
The development is the latest setback in what has been a rocky UW career for Savannah. He was relegated to second team at the beginning of camp last season for academic reasons then suspended for spring ball for not adhering to unspecified responsibilities that Savannah later said were related to offseason workouts.
Savannah attended the beginning of UW's practice after being seen talking with Willingham near the football offices. He greeted some of his fellow linebackers during early warmups, with the cast removed from his arm and wearing a Huskies T-shirt, then left.
Coaches said his loss could be a big blow — his replacement at the moment is former walk-on Josh Gage, a junior who has made seven tackles, primarily on special teams.
"When you lose a guy that you think is a top player, it's a bit of a setback," said defensive coordinator Ed Donatell. "But you really don't have much of a scheme if one injury knocks you down, or two. That's part of coaching, to have contingency plans."
Also not on the roster were four incoming freshmen — defensive linemen Craig Noble and Senio Kelemete (Evergreen High School), running back Demitrius Bronson and defensive back Vince Taylor (Eastside Catholic). All are facing academic issues and Willingham wouldn't say when, or if, any of the four will enroll. Quarterback Dominique Blackman also will not enroll until January for academic reasons.
Izbicki facing
two charges
That wasn't the only bad news. Redshirt freshman tight end Chris Izbicki was charged with two misdemeanor crimes Monday and will be arraigned in King County District Court in Burien on Aug. 14.
Izbicki was charged with criminal trespass in the second degree and minor in possession of liquor after an incident July 20 while attending the KUBE Summer Jam at the White River Amphitheatre.
According to a police report, Izbicki was charged with criminal trespass for attempting to get into a restricted VIP area and failing to leave after being asked to do so twice. He was then given a breathalyzer test and recorded a reading of .241, resulting in the second charge.
Izbicki participated in practice Monday.
Locker hoping for 65 percent completions
Quarterback Jake Locker said his goal for the season is to complete 65 percent of his passes, which would be a significant upgrade from the 47.3 percent of last season.
"That's a good number to shoot for," he said.
Locker said he thinks greater knowledge of the offense will be the biggest factor in improving his accuracy this season.
Offensive coordinator Tim Lappano noted that Locker completed 65 percent or better in every scrimmage during the spring. "He can do that," Lappano said. "But I told him that how you really judge a quarterback is wins and losses."
More bullets?
After losing to Oregon last year, 55-34, Willingham said the team needed to get more "bullets" to be able to compete.
Asked Monday if he feels like UW has more ammo now, he said "I think we are getting closer. It's going to be interesting in camp to see how some of the speed and explosiveness that we have starts to fit together and how the confidence builds and how they play off of each other. That's a good thing."
Players cool about
Willingham hot seat
Players at the media luncheon mostly brushed off talk that the uncertainty over Willingham's future will impact their season.
"We all have the same goal here that we've had every year that coach Willingham has been here, and that's to win games," Locker said. "And that hasn't changed and that never will. We are going to do whatever we need to to the best of our abilities to make that happen. So it's not a distraction that we talk about or think about. Our focus is winning games."
Recruiting update
Aaron Grymes of West Seattle High School has accepted a scholarship offer and said the Huskies envision him as a cornerback.
Grymes became the second cornerback to commit to the Huskies on Monday, after Kenneth Pinkard of South Oak Cliff High School in Dallas.
Grymes, who played safety, wide receiver, running back and even quarterback last season as a junior, said being a Husky "has been my dream since I was little."
Grymes, 5 feet 11, 160 pounds, said the Huskies extended the scholarship offer Saturday and he accepted Monday. He said Boise State, Oregon and Idaho had shown interest in him.
"Since coming to the games as a little kid, I've wanted to play here," Grymes said.
The Huskies will be getting a capable student. Grymes has a 3.5 grade-point average and said he has passed the SAT.
"He's got a real love for the game," said West Seattle coach Davis Lura. "He works hard and he's also a good student."
Pinkard, 6 feet, 180, was also offered a scholarship Saturday in Seattle.
Pinkard and Grymes are the second and third players to commit. The first was quarterback Keith Price of Bosco High School in Bellflower, Calif.

Former Texas OT J'Marcus Webb won't be playing for Arizona this fall after all, Ryan Finley reports:"The 19-year-old signed with the Wildcats in February following stints at The University of Texas and Navarro (Texas) Junior College. He faced an uphill climb academically, however, because he was not on track to earn his associate degree in time for the fall semester. Webb could still enroll at a school with less-strict transfer requirements. Webb's departure means junior Eben Britton will likely switch to the left side to anchor the offensive line. Returners Adam Grant, Bill Wacholz and James Tretheway and newcomer Phil Garcia would then compete for the right tackle's spot."
Webb or not, I'm still touting the Wildcats to be one of the most improved teams out west.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">Vandy tri-captain Smith to miss at least four weeks

• Smith will miss at least four weeks because of a stress fracture in his right foot
  • Bobby Johnson says Smith probably will miss the Aug. 28 season opener
  • Smith is scheduled for surgery Thursday
</td></tr></tbody></table>NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Senior receiver George Smith, a Vanderbilt tri-captain, will miss at least four weeks because of a stress fracture in his right foot.
Head coach Bobby Johnson says Smith probably will miss the Aug. 28 season opener at Miami, Ohio, and possibly the Sept. 4 home opener against South Carolina.
Smith is scheduled for surgery Thursday.

BYU football: Starting center Sorensen out 4-6 weeks

[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]By Jeff Call[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Deseret News[/FONT]
Published: Tuesday, Aug. 5, 2008 12:46 p.m. MDT
bubble6.gif
53 comments
E-MAIL | PRINT | FONT + -

PROVO — Junior Tom Sorensen, projected to be BYU's starting center this fall, is expected to be out 4-6 weeks due to a shoulder injury, coach Bronco Mendenhall announced after Tuesday's practice. Sorensen is scheduled to meet with a doctor today.
"We're anticipating surgery. That will estimate him being out 4-6 weeks," Mendenhall said. "The pain was not allowing him to be effective in our eyes nor his. I gave him yesterday to kind of try to sort through it as you build up what you expect to happen in a year and then it doesn't necessarily go like that. We'll find out today the severity of it and the time frame."
In Sorensen's place, the Cougars are looking at Dallas Reynolds, who is an All-Mountain West first-team performer at left tackle, sophomore Garrett Reden and junior R.J. Willing.
"We're still considering Dallas Reynolds as a possibility. We'll fill in the best five," Mendenhall said. "The good news is, they're all good players. It's going to be what unit, which five, works best together."
Sorensen was projected to replace two-year starter Sete Aulai, who graduated. Sorensen saw action in seven games last season.

Sorry About That Ineligible Status Thing

<small class="entry-meta"> Published by JoeOvies <abbr class="published" title="2008-08-06T09:14:21-0400">August 6th, 2008</abbr> in ACC Football. </small> <!-- .entry-meta -->
<!-- .entry-head -->
306272.jpg
The daily dramas of recruiting are low on my radar, especially when it comes to the “how many recruits actually show up” gotcha game rival fans like to play. However, the occasional story of a recruit who supposedly couldn’t hack it academically and his eventual journey to the playing field is so convoluted that it deserves some mention. Witness Burlington Cummings standout Dwight Jones, who is currently enrolled at Valdosta State. Jones was supposed to be playing Division I football with North Carolina as part of the 2007 recruiting class, but was declared ineligible by the school. Despite a stint at Hargrave Academy, the wideout was again declared ineligible and transferred to Valdosta State in Division II. Case closed.
Or is it? According to InsideCarolina.com, Jones was judged under the wrong NCAA clearing house rules. The heart of the problem was the amount of core classes Jones took his senior year, which was 14. The requirement was bumped up to 16 for the 2008 class. For some reason, Jones was judged by UNC under the 2008 rules despite being a 2007 recruit. Whoops. Jones is already practicing for Valdosta State, which would pose a problem for his original desire to wear Carolina blue, but the school signed a release allowing the Heels to talk to him. Bottomline, Jones will need assurances from the NCAA that UNC’s new interpretation is correct and that he won’t be penalized for showing up in Chapel Hill having already enrolled at Valdosta.
NC State dealt with similar eligibility mix up with recruit William Beasley. Tom O’Brien announced earlier that Beasley didn’t make it academically, although it was “discovered” that the paperwork hadn’t been handled properly. End result? Beasley was eligible after all. And all of this drama sets messageboards ablaze with accusations of conspiracies. Some people have way too much time on their hands.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">Hawaii, McMackin 'moving on' without missing QB Graunke

• Graunke has been out of fall camp while he resolves undisclosed issues
  • McMackin would not disclose the reason, citing student privacy laws
</td></tr></tbody></table>HONOLULU (AP) -- Hawaii quarterback Tyler Graunke waited patiently for three seasons behind Colt Brennan and filled in well when called upon. With Brennan gone to the NFL, this season was supposed to be Graunke's opportunity to lead the Warriors.
Graunke, however, has been held out of the start of fall camp while he resolves undisclosed issues. It's unknown when the senior will rejoin the team, putting his status for the season opener at Florida in jeopardy.
First-year Warriors coach Greg McMackin said Graunke's absence has not and will not affect the team.
"We've just moved on," he said Tuesday. "If somebody's not here, we just move on. If somebody gets hurt, we move on."
McMackin would not disclose why Graunke wasn't with the team, citing student privacy laws, only adding "Tyler has some things he needs to take care of."
The Honolulu Advertiser reported Tuesday that the problems are related to academics.
Graunke has not officially been suspended by the team, as he was earlier this year. He was suspended because of academic reasons but was reinstated just before spring workouts.
Graunke is, by far, the most experienced quarterback on the young Hawaii team. He appeared in 10 games last year, throwing for 1,234 yards and 10 touchdowns.
In two starts, he threw for 358 yards and two TDs to lead Hawaii to a come-from-behind victory over Nevada. He also passed for 285 yards and three TDs against Charleston Southern.
He even outperformed Brennan in the Sugar Bowl, throwing Hawaii's lone touchdown. He was 13-of-19 for 142 yards and was one of the few bright spots for the team, even if it was late in the game against Georgia's backups.
Graunke came to Hawaii the same year as Brennan following a heralded prep career in Tucson, Ariz., where he set the state's single-season passing record with 3,372 yards. He was listed ahead of Brennan and started his first game at Hawaii against No. 1 Southern California, led by Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush.
With Graunke's absence, Inoke Funaki and junior college transfers Greg Alexander and Brent Rausch will compete for the starting job. Funaki, a short and mobile quarterback, is the only one of the three with playing time at Hawaii. He was 10-of-15 for 135 yards and three touchdown last year.
McMackin said a starter will be selected about two weeks before the Aug. 30 season opener at The Swamp and will get about 75 percent of the reps in practice.
Center John Estes, one of just three returning full-time starters on offense, said he has "full confidence" in the new quarterbacks, who just need experience.
"We've got great players at quarterback because everybody wants to come and play quarterback here," he said.
Running back Leon Wright-Jackson said Graunke's absence has been a minor distraction and the team has remained focus.
"We have to move on. We have to," he said. "It's unfortunate because Tyler is like our older brother and he knows everything. So it's just unfortunate, but we just have to move forward."

No link that I've seen yet, but reports on the homeland are that Cornelius Ingram (Gators TE) is out for the year.

As soon as I find a link, I'll post unless someone beats me to it

Found it for you G8

Gators tight end injured

Cornelius Ingram suffers knee injury

BY DAVID JONES • FLORIDA TODAY • August 7, 2008
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2> function NewWindow(height,width,url) {window.open(url,"ShowProdWindow","menubars=0,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,height="+height+",width="+width); } </SCRIPT>
  • <LI class=comments itxtvisited="1">Post a Comment <LI class=recommend itxtvisited="1"><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript> gsl.recommendCountHrefEnabled='true'; </SCRIPT>Recommend (1) <LI class=print itxtvisited="1">Print this page
  • E-mail this article
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2> function NewWindow(height,width,url) { window.open(url,"ShowProdWindow","menubars=0,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,height="+height+",width="+width); } function snl_click(social_utility) { u=location.href; t=document.title; if(social_utility == "facebook") { window.open('http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u='+encodeURIComponent(u)+'&t='+encodeURIComponent(t),'sharer','toolbar=0,status=0,width=626,height=436'); } if(social_utility == "digg") { window.open('http://digg.com/submit?phase=2&url='+encodeURIComponent(u)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(t)); } if(social_utility == "delicious") { window.open('http://del.icio.us/post?v=2&url='+encodeURIComponent(u)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(t)); } if(social_utility == "reddit") { window.open('http://reddit.com/submit?url='+encodeURIComponent(u)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(t)); } if(social_utility == "newsvine") { window.open('http://www.newsvine.com/_tools/seed&save?u='+encodeURIComponent(u)+'&T='+encodeURIComponent(t)); } return false;}</SCRIPT>
  • <LI class=title itxtvisited="1">Share this article: <LI class=delicious itxtvisited="1">Del.icio.us <LI class=facebook itxtvisited="1">Facebook <LI class=digg itxtvisited="1">Digg <LI class=reddit itxtvisited="1">Reddit <LI class=newsvine itxtvisited="1">Newsvine
  • What’s this?
Florida's SEC and national title hopes may have suffered a major blow. Tight end Cornelius Ingram, who was injured during drills on Tuesday but walked off the field seemingly fine, missed practice on Wednesday.
adlabel_horz.gif

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript>OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1');</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=javascript1.1 src="http://gannett.gcion.com/addyn/3.0/5111.1/133600/0/0/ADTECH;alias=fl-brevard.flatoday.com/sports/article.htm_ArticleFlex_1;cookie=info;loc=100;target=_blank;grp=558024;misc=1218136375817"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://optimized-by.rubiconproject.com/a/4275/4803/6722-15.js?cb=0.6902791565916078&keyword=6170" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><IFRAME marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://view.atdmt.com/APM/iview/108600146/direct;wi.300;hi.250/01?click=" frameBorder=0 width=300 scrolling=no height=250 allowTransparency topmargin="0" leftmargin="0"><script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">document.write('');</script><noscript></noscript></IFRAME>

Ingram even granted some interviews after the Tuesday practice, but the knee started bothering him later that night and it became obvious he had a problem by Wednesday morning. Now it's a question of how bad that problem really is.
"He's got a strained knee," Gators coach Urban Meyer said of the initial diagnosis. "We're waiting on MRI results right now. I don't know much more than that right now."
The injury, however, could be serious enough to threaten his senior season. It's a tough blow for Ingram, who caught 34 passes for 508 yards and seven touchdowns last season and turned down a chance to leave early for the NFL. The league's draft advisory committee projected Ingram to likely go in the first three rounds of this year's draft.
Instead of leaving, he bulked up and dedicated himself to becoming more of a pro-type tight end. If Ingram can't play this season, he could petition the NCAA for a sixth season. College sports' governing body has been much more accepting in recent years, when such waivers have been requested.
One of the best-known cases of a Gator player being granted a sixth season was ex-UF center Zac Zedalis, who suffered a major knee injury his redshirt senior season in 2000 but returned to play the 2001 season as a sixth-year player. The NCAA rules normally allow an athlete just five years to complete four seasons, with one redshirt year permitted.
Ingram redshirted in 2004 as a true freshman. This is his fifth year at UF.
Meyer said he would know more about the injury, which is believed to be to the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, late Wednesday or early today. If it is a partial tear, he could attempt to play with it. A bad tear, however, would almost certainly demand surgery.
The ACL is the primary stabilizing ligament in the center of the knee joint that prevents hyperextension and excessive rotation of the joint. A complete tear usually requires reconstruction that could require six to 12 months of rehabilitation.
It's believed that Ingram had taken out an insurance policy worth more than a million dollars.
Florida running back Chris Rainey is also slowed with a groin injury that Meyer said he actually got while running track in the spring. Defensive lineman Justin Trattou has the flu. Defensive lineman Omar Hunter, one of the nation's top recruits, has a back injury that slowed him on Wednesday.
Freshman Jeff Demps, who ran in the Olympic Trials, was also hit hard at the end of practice and limped off the field but Meyer said he wasn't aware of any injury.
Meyer was less than thrilled with his team's practice, keeping UF on the field until well after 7 p.m.
"We didn't have a great day today," he said. "We've got to get better."
Meyer called the intensity poor and blamed part of that on older players not providing enough leadership.
"There are certain areas where we're really young still," Meyer said. "It's like a four-letter word, young."

auburn cb out for the season..

Auburn CB Savage injured knee in practice, surgery successful

Associated Press

<!-- promo plug -->
<!-- end promo plug -->
<!-- end story header --> <!-- begin left column --> <!-- begin page tools -->AUBURN, Ala. -- Auburn cornerback Aairon Savage will miss the season after undergoing knee surgery.
Coach Tommy Tuberville said Wednesday's operation was a success.
Savage was a starting safety last season and finished with 26 tackles. He hurt the knee in Monday's practice.
Tuberville did not specify the extent or nature of the injury. Savage's brother told the Albany Herald in Georgia that the player had a dislocated knee cap, a torn ACL and a torn MCL.
Savage is eligible for a medical redshirt and could return in 2009 with two years remaining.

CORNELIUS INGRAM: TORN ACL

21kentuckcy.xlarge1.jpg

Cornelius Ingram, TE, has a torn ACL according to Joe Schad on ESPN. It’s not the worst news for Florida, who has a potent replacement in Aaron Hernandez coming up, but it sucks royally for Ingram on a personal and karmic level. Ingram came back for his senior season, thrived at TE after moving over from qb, and has been the ho-hum oh just perfect citizen as far as being a credit to his school, team, and the utterly awesome name “Cornelius.”
You know what really broke his ACL, though, according to Urban Meyer? That damned celebration, of course. Urban Meyer hasn’t forgotten about that.

[FONT=arial, helvetica][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Iowa State football: Receiver Franklin suspended from team[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
By ANDREW LOGUE
alogue@dmreg.com
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Iowa State receiver Wallace Franklin has been suspended from the football team, following two arrests this spring.

Franklin, who was listed as a reserve on the Cyclones' preseason depth chart, has not practiced this summer.

Tom Kroeschell, Iowa State's associate athletic director, said Wednesday it was undetermined whether Franklin would return to the team. Kroeschell added that coach Gene Chizik was unavailable for comment.

"He has been, and remains suspended from the team," Kroeschell said of Franklin, who is still a student at Iowa State. "He has not practiced."
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]According to Ames Police Department records, Franklin was charged on March 2 with disorderly conduct and interference with official acts.

An officer came upon a scene in which Franklin and another individual were fighting. According to Sgt. Mark Wheeler, Franklin had to be taken to the ground and was arrested.

On May 4, officers arrived at the scene of a fight involving several individuals. Franklin was not arrested at the time, but a warrant was later issued for his arrest. He was again charged with interference with official acts.
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Franklin, a 6-foot-3, 171-pound senior, made two catches last year for 5 yards and a touchdown.[/FONT]

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">Former LSU lineman transfers to Oklahoma

• Jones played seven games for LSU last year
  • He was at Sooners practice Thursday
</td></tr></tbody></table>NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -- Former LSU offensive lineman Jarvis Jones has transferred to Oklahoma.
Jones played seven games during the Tigers' national championship season last year but was dismissed after breaking team rules. The 6-foot-7, 294-pound Jones was at Sooners practice Thursday.
"Jarvis is a talented guy who we recruited when he was in high school," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said. "We're excited that he has joined the team."
Jones played as a backup at left tackle and right guard as a freshman last season. He must sit out a year under NCAA transfer rules and will be eligible to play in 2009.
Oklahoma had a scholarship open last week when receiver Josh Jarboe was kicked off the team.

Shape up or Ship out

If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!
osuHelmet.gif
By way of the Dispatch:
As had been rumored for months, the junior cornerback said yesterday he has been suspended for the opener against Youngstown State and the next game against Ohio University for breaking unspecified team rules. He would not elaborate.
“My first game will be USC,” Washington said, referring to the third game of the season Sept. 13.
Backup safety Jamario O’Neal also confirmed he will miss the first two games because of a suspension. They, along with Eugene Clifford, who left the team during the summer, were first disciplined for something that occurred during the spring.
No word yet on Dough Worthington’s punishment.
The Mouse and I have discussed this at length, but it seems like the one thing that the team has lacked recently is true leadership. Beanie and Laurinaitis have been good leaders on the field, but there needs to be someone off the field that will get in guys faces and keep them in line. These little discretions do nothing but distract the team. Distractions is the one thing the this team does not need, especially going into a certain game in September.
Shape things up, boys.

McKinner Dixon - "In the classroom, not very good.''

UniWatch_SethC_Jersey_tiny.jpg
by Seth C on Aug 8, 2008 8:00 AM CDT in Football
The loss of McKinner Dixon due to grades bothers me on a personal level, but I know that we also need to discuss how this effects the depth chart as we march onwards with what we hope is a special season. Distractions have to be left behind.
I'm confused. Dixon has been on campus since the spring semester and in class. I just don't get how he can go from being in class probably for the spring semester and the summer and then be ineligible. Something's not right here, and I'm not sure what it is. It could be a simple case of Dixon not going to class, but he seemed really sincere to be given a second chance.
Again, this is probably one of my biggest faults/weaknesses, is that I tend to believe in people, often to my detriment. In Don Williams' Raider Rants blog, it appears that Leach is now completely indifferent towards Dixon:
Dixon was at practice Thursday night, but Mike Leach said it's doubtful he'll be playing this season. Rather than put Leach's quotes in two places, I'll let you hit the link at the bottom of this entry. Just like the last time Dixon became ineligible, back in the spring of 2006, Leach didn't seem very sympathetic.
When he was asked Thursday how he evaluated Dixon so far, Leach said: "In the classroom, not very good.''
When a reporter clarified, asking about Dixon's on-field showing this week, Leach said: "It's irrelevant, because if you don't make it in the classroom, you don't get on the field. It's not even relevant. We're not going to rep him until he can get on the field.''
Again, I believed that Dixon was a changed man
Second, is the depth chart. With the loss of Dixon, that means that everyone moves up a spot. I'm wondering if it was intentional by the coaches to have Dixon behind the better player, Brandon Williams, in case something like this happened as it did his freshman season. I think that's a pretty good bet, although that's complete speculation on my part.
<center> <table border="1" width="90%"> <tbody> <tr bgcolor="#cc0000"> <td>End</td> <td>Nose Tackle</td> <td>Tackle</td> <td>Rush End</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Jake Ratliff; 6-7/255; SR</td> <td>Colby Whitlock; 6-2/285; SO</td> <td>Rajon Henley; 6-3/266; JR</td> <td>Brandon Williams; 6-5/246; JR</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Brandon Sharpe; 6-3/244; JR</td> <td>Chris Perry; 6-3/308; FR</td> <td>Richard Jones; 6-1/272; JR</td> <td>Daniel Howard; 6-3/238; JR</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Brandon Sesay; 6-6/279; JR</td> <td>Clint Stoffels; 6-0/254; SO</td> <td>David Neill; 6-5/263; RS FR</td> <td>Sandy Riley; 6-0;237; JR</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Ryan Haliburton; 6-4/242; FR</td> <td>Britton Barbee; 6-2/282; SO</td> <td>Joey Fowler/INJ; 6-4/271; FR</td> <td>McKinner Dixon; 6-3/250; JR</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> </center> This isn't the best situation, but I'm okay with it. With Williams getting a majority of the snaps and Howard, who I think is one of those guys whose motor doesn't stop, is ideal for the end position. Having three quality defensive ends is a luxury, having two quality defensive ends is more reality. If Dixon is ineligible, then it's a crappy reality as I had high hopes for Dixon.
Williams discusses defensive end depth at Raider Rants:
The other good news: Well, it's old news, but it's still worth remembering. As deep as this team is, defensive end is one of the deepest positions on the team with or without McKinner. At left end, it's Jake Ratliff, Daniel Howard and Sesay -- and I believe a lot of Tech fans underrate the first two -- and at right end, it's Brandon Williams, Brandon Sharpe and Sandy Riley. I'll say again, I think Williams will take his play up a notch this season, simply because this is his third year in the program. Two years ago, he hit the ground running to earn a role as a true freshman. Last year, he was second-team all-Big 12. Now he's all grown up -- at least so far as completely grasping what it takes to play in this league.​
Last week, Williams had B. Williams, Dixon and Howard all in the same position, but now it's Sharpe and Riley (although Williams RR Football Notebook this morning says otherwise). For the time being, I'm not going to change our depth chart as I tend to think that Sesay and Ratliff will be more than adequate on the left side and Daniel Howard, in my opinion, is right behind B. Williams in terms of making plays and play on the field.
In other words, if I had to rank the defensive ends that I've seen play (thus excluding Sesay and Sharpe) then it would be B. Williams, Howard, Ratliff and Riley. Howard needs to see the field and I'm not sure how that happens as much as I would like behind Ratliff and Sesay.

tOSU DB's out for 2 games...I wonder if they would've had balls to suspend them for 3 games...

Washington, O'Neal will sit out first two games of season

By Adam Rittenberg
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: August 8, 2008, 12:12 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
Ohio State defensive backs Donald Washington and Jamario O'Neal have been suspended for the first two games of the season, the players told reporters Thursday at media day.

Multiple news outlets reported Thursday night that the players confirmed their suspensions but did not elaborate on the reason for punishment.

Ohio State spokeswoman Shelly Poe confirmed Friday that Washington and O'Neal were suspended, but did not give details.

Washington is a starting cornerback for the Buckeyes. O'Neal is a reserve at strong safety. The two will miss games against Youngstown State and Ohio before being allowed to return Sept. 13 at USC.

Both players were held out of portions of spring practice for undisclosed reasons. Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said only that they needed to "earn their car keys back."

The Buckeyes secondary is already without Eugene Clifford, who transferred shortly after an assault arrest, and James Scott, who is not participating in training camp.

Washington has made 22 career starts, including all 13 games last year. He has 80 career tackles and an interception. Sophomore Chimdi Chekwa, listed ahead of Washington on the preseason depth chart, likely will start in his place against Youngstown State and Ohio.

Something to pay attention to.

Starting RB for SouthCak, Mike Davis, left practice yesterday (8/7) with a shoulder injury in a non-contact drill. Davis apparently fell and landed awkwardly on his shoulder. Spurrier is quoted as saying "he may miss a week" but its something to pay attention.

2 Pac-10 Teams Lost QBs in practice today:

Mark Sanchez injured; carted off field

Well, the Pac-10 QBs are dropping like flies today. Sanchez's injury sounds fairly serious. His injury could greatly upset what many perceive as the weakest part of the USC team: the passing game.

Jake Locker Injured

Jake Locker was hurt in practice today. While it doesn't sound too severe (the MRI is not in yet), he'll at least be out a few days. While I'm still expecting him to play in the opener, Washington needs to much practice with Locker as they can get.

BREAKING...Sanchez Has Knee Injury

DSC_0113_tiny.JPG
by Paragon SC on Aug 8, 2008 4:28 PM PDT in Football
From the OCR
Starting quarterback Mark Sanchez left USC practice today because of an apparent knee injury.
The junior from Mission Viejo High was taken on a cart from the locker room to be examined. He had a towel over his head and ice wrapped around his left knee.
The severity of the injury is not known at this time.
Jeez I hope it's something minor.
We will have more as it develops...
UPDATE:
Here is a write up from Gary Klein at the LAT.
A witness reported seeing Sanchez doing a carioca shuffle. He then went to throw a football, put weight on his left knee and collapsed.

Sanchez was helped to the trainers' table, where ice was administered and his jersey and shoulder pads were removed. He was then carted to the locker room and was then taken for x-rays.
More as it becomes available...

UPDATED...Sanchez has a dislocated Patella

DSC_0113_tiny.JPG
by Paragon SC on Aug 8, 2008 7:10 PM PDT in Football
OK...
First Scott Schrader over at WEAreSC reported it.
Apparently Mark dislocated his left kneecap. That's the latest word coming from campus. More details later.
Once this is confirmed we will look at his injury in more detail.
More to come...
UPDATE: Here is a little more from the OCR:
Onlookers said Sanchez was throwing the ball to teammate Clay Matthews, hopped after completing the toss, landed awkwardly on his foot and twisted his knee.
“He was all by himself,” USC coach Pete Carroll said. “It was a silly thing that happened.”
Carroll did not know the severity of the injury but said he hoped to have news sometime tonight. About 6:25 p.m., offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian said a doctor was on his way to examine Sanchez’s knee and give a preliminary diagnosis.
About a half-hour after practice, Sanchez emerged from an SUV on crutches with a large black brace on his left knee. He used the crutches to slowly make his way into the USC locker room.
We'll keep you posted...
UPDATE II: The OCR is also reporting that it is a dislocated Patella:
USC starting quarterback Mark Sanchez suffered a dislocated left kneecap during practice today.
Coach Pete Carroll termed Sanchez’s status as a “day-to-day thing” starting Monday, when he is scheduled to begin rehabilitating the knee. He will be immobilized through the weekend.
Carroll did not rule out Sanchez being available for the season opener Aug. 30 at Virginia.
“We lucked out,” Carroll said.
It will interesting to see what the severity of this injury is.

Last edited:
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">Finally, WR Jones to join UNC

• Former high school star Dwight Jones has finally been admitted to UNC
  • Jones signed with the school in 2007 but failed to qualify academically
  • He is cleared to play immedaitely and will begin practicing in the coming days
</td></tr></tbody></table>CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) -- North Carolina finally has added one of coach Butch Davis' original signees to its group of receivers.
The Tar Heels said Friday that the school has admitted former high school star Dwight Jones of Burlington.
He will join the team this year and will begin preseason practice in the coming days.
Jones initially signed with North Carolina in 2007 but failed to qualify academically and spent last season at Hargrave Military Academy.
After attempting to join the team again this season, he went to Division II Valdosta State because of what school officials called a misunderstanding of his academic records.
The NCAA eventually cleared him to play in Division I, Valdosta State gave him a release and the NCAA granted him a waiver to play immediately.

Ben Mauk Free to Not Be Cinci's QB

Posted Aug 8th 2008 4:23PM by Chas Rich (author feed)
Filed under: Cincinnati, Big East, General CFB Insanity
bmauk2.jpg
Well, we called for his freedom, and now it was finally given by the NCAA. They denied his appeal, with out a hearing. So his time as Cinci QB is over. Mauk had argued that the season he was redshirted as a freshman at Wake Forest in large part because of an injury. While no one questioned the injury (since he did have surgery before going to Wake Forest), the problem was Wake Forest had no documentation to prove it.
In the end, Ben Mauk lost his appeal because UC could not overcome the obstacle of not having contemporaneous documentation that could prove that he was injured during his freshman year at Wake Forest.

"It just didn't exist," said Maggie McKinley, assistant athletic director/compliance. "Our hope as that we could get it to the committee and they would find a way to give relief from the rule, but they were unable to come up with any way to grant that relief."
Rules are rules are rules. The system is fine. The procedures are in place.

Somehow it took the NCAA over 3 months to decide not to hold a hearing and rule that Mauk had no more eligibility. To keep Mauk in limbo. Still in school. Still training. Stuck waiting. As if the NCAA hoped he would just lose interest and go away.

Cincinnati Coach Brian Kelly is trying to get Mauk into an NFL training camp -- which seems unlikely at this point. Cinci also appears to be willing to let Mauk stay in school as a student assistant on the football team, while completing his masters degree in criminal justice.

A fair and generous decision by Cinci -- unlike the NCAA.

Air Force tight end Dekker out eight weeks

Comments 0 | Recommend 0
Only returning skill position player has slight ankle fracture

August 8, 2008 - 7:05PM
BY JAKE SCHALLER, THE GAZETTE

<!-- Video goes here -->Air Force senior tight end Travis Dekker will be out for about eight weeks because of a slight fracture in his right ankle, coach Troy Calhoun said Friday.
Dekker injured the ankle Thursday during a seven-on-seven passing drill. He was on crutches Friday with a cast on his right foot and ankle. Monday he will have surgery to have a plate put on the side of his ankle (fastened by screws).
"You could maybe let it go without putting a plate on the side, and yet we're better off in the long haul making sure there is something there," Calhoun said.
"Otherwise I think there's going to be a little more instability if he is able to get back to playing shape where he can play those last six, seven games."
The injury is a significant blow to the Falcons' early season chances, as the 6-foot-4, 245-pound Dekker is the Falcons' leading returning receiver and lone returning starter at an offensive skill position. He caught 25 passes for 382 yards and two touchdowns in 2007. His 25 receptions were the most by an Air Force tight end since 1989 and were more than all tight ends had caught in the previous four seasons combined.
"It's part of football," Calhoun said of the injury.
With Dekker out, the Falcons suddenly seem precariously thin at a spot where they appeared to have quality depth heading into the preseason. Highly regarded sophomore Steve Shaffer, the Falcons' third-string tight end, is out until the middle of next week because of a concussion. And senior Keith Madsen, Dekker's backup, was limited in practice Friday because of minor muscle strains (he should be back Monday, Calhoun said).
"Right now you don't have a lot of bodies out there that are experienced," Calhoun said. "That's why being able to use various personnel groups may come into play."

Banks Dings His Knee

Bad news from yesterday's first two-a-day practice: back up safety Quintin Banks tore his MCL and will need surgery. Banks was the third safety option after starters C.J. Byrd and Rashad Jones. He's got a rep as a big hitter and we were relying on him to be a steady backup at a position filled with inexperienced backups. The silver lining is that Banks will only miss six weeks, according to Coach Richt. That would put him back in pads for the Alabama game. (Image: Online Athens)

Considering the early practice knee injuries around the SEC, Auburn's Aairon Savage and UF's Cornelius Ingram are already lost for the year, a six week MCL injury ain't so bad.

Bruins' Ben Olson is hurt again

Quarterback is carted off the field because of a foot injury, the latest setback in his UCLA career.
By Chris Foster
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

August 10, 2008

For the second time in five months, UCLA quarterback Ben Olson took a painful ride on a cart to the locker room Saturday.

The agonizing journey came after Olson took a misstep on a fake and felt pain in his right foot. Olson suffered a broken bone in the foot on a similar play during spring practice and spent three months recovering after a screw was placed in the foot.

A UCLA official said a fluoroscope of the foot was inconclusive Saturday and that Olson would have X-rays today.

Olson's injury could make this a costly weekend for USC and UCLA. USC lost starting quarterback Mark Sanchez, who suffered a dislocated kneecap on Friday and may sit out the Trojans' opener.

Sanchez was injured throwing a pass to a teammate during warmups. Olson was injured during a similarly harmless play.

"He said he felt discomfort in the foot," Coach Rick Neuheisel said. "It sounded like it was the exact same thing as last spring. He was carrying out a fake. He said it was not as bad as last spring. The pain was not the same. We'll see what that means."

Olson was not available for comment.

Olson has played with pain in the foot through the first five days of camp and sat out Friday's practice to rest. The injured foot was the latest setback in his career, despite the fact he has won the UCLA starting job the past two seasons.

As a sophomore in 2006, he tore a knee ligament in the fifth game against Arizona and was lost for the season. Last season, he missed one game with concussion-like symptoms and five others because of an injured right knee.

The Bruins' quarterback situation has been a concern since spring practice. Patrick Cowan won the job, then suffered a season-ending injury during practice. Olson was then injured on the same series of plays, leaving Neuheisel and first-year offensive coordinator Norm Chow without the team's two most experienced quarterbacks for the Bruins' spring game.

But his injury could severely alter the Bruins' plans this season.

"It will change the course, no question, it has to," Neuheisel said. "But it's too early to talk about that. Norm and I and all the offensive coaches will have to sit down and develop a plan, figure out what happened and what needs to be done."

Quarterback Kevin Craft was moved in with the first team. Craft has struggled during training camp and was inconsistent again Saturday. Olson's injury resulted in increased time for redshirt freshman Chris Forcier, who received the bulk of the time with the second team.

Forcier, who attended San Diego St. Augustine High, ran the scout team last season. He can bring speed to the position.

"Norm has a method to his madness," Neuheisel said. "I usually don't get too involved. He must have thought Chris was doing well and let him stay in there and gain some confidence."

Neuheisel also said that freshmen Kevin Prince and Nick Crissman, junior Osaar Rasshan and Craft have "made plays," at quarterback.

"I don't want to get too far out over our skis," Neuheisel said. "We want to wait and see what happened [with Olson]."

But he did add, "We got to keep chugging along, as the sands drifts through the hourglass we've got to make some decisions. We'll just have to wait and see what those decisions are when we have all the information."

[FONT=arial, helvetica][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Cyclone football: Bass back on ISU team after spring suspension[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
By ANDREW LOGUE
alogue@dmreg.com
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Ames, Ia. - Running back J.J. Bass rejoined the Iowa State football team this weekend, after being suspended indefinitely last spring.

Coach Gene Chizik announced Bass' return following Saturday's scrimmage.

"After an on-going evaluation of everything both on and off the field, he's really tried to bring things up to our standard and expectations," Chizik said. "I'm proud of him for doing that."

Bass, a 6-foot-1, 205-pound senior, was the Cyclones' second-leading rusher last season, with 462 yards and four touchdowns.
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]He was suspended for failing to meet unspecified team requirements. Chizik has declined to give a reason, other than saying it was not a legal matter.

"He spoke to our football team this morning, and apologized for not being here," Chizik said Saturday.

According to NCAA rules, Bass will spend at least four days getting acclimated, before being allowed to practice in pads.

The Cyclones, who open the season Aug. 28 against South Dakota State, feature three tailbacks who ran for more than 100 yards in a game last fall: Bass, Jason Scales and Alexander Robinson.
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]"That wasn't even part of our thinking," Chizik said. "It wasn't whether we needed J.J. as another running back or not. It was more of him doing the things we feel are important to our program."

Bass will not be available to the media until after the season opener.

- It was revealed last week that reserve receiver Wallace Franklin had been suspended following two arrests during the offseason. Chizik said no timeline has been set for Franklin's return.
[/FONT]

Colorado DE Hudgins hurt again

Senior expected to miss season with knee injury

By Kyle Ringo
Sunday, August 10, 2008
Some guys just can't catch a break. Drew Hudgins apparently is among them.

STORY TOOLS

related_story.gif
More Football

icon_go.png
Share and Enjoy [?]

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://w.sharethis.com/widget/?tabs=web%2Cpost&charset=utf-8&services=reddit%2Cdigg%2Cfacebook%2Cmyspace%2Cdelicious%2Cstumbleupon%2Ctechnorati%2Cgoogle_bmarks%2Cyahoo_bmarks%2Cyahoo_myweb%2Cwindows_live%2Cpropeller%2Cslashdot%2Cnewsvine%2Cmixx%2Cblinklist%2Cfurl%2Cmagnolia&style=rotate&publisher=969c5bc2-856b-4084-89d5-67a23a404fe8&popup=true&embeds=true"></script>ShareThis
Share your video, photos and news tips.

The Colorado defensive end did not practice Saturday in the first full-squad and fully padded session of training camp for the Buffs. When asked why Hudgins was on the sideline but not in pads, coach Dan Hawkins said the senior has a knee injury that will likely prevent him from playing this season.
If Hudgins is out, it will be the third season he has missed because of injury in his five years in college.
The 6-foot-4, 240-pound product of Spring Hill, Kan., spent three years at Highland Community College in Kansas, missing one year there because of a serious hamstring injury. He transferred to CU prior to last season but ruptured an Achilles tendon and missed the 2007 season.
After spending more than a year rehabilitating from the Achilles injury, Hudgins entered camp earlier this week excited about playing football again and hoping to compete for the starting spot at right defensive end.
Hudgins said he was not sure if the NCAA would award him a sixth year of eligibility at the end of the season so he planned to play this year as if it was his last. Now it might be.
With three seasons erased by injuries, Hudgins would be almost a lock for a sixth year if he chose to continue his career. Hawkins said that decision might not be made for awhile, but it will be made by Hudgins.
"It depends on what he wants to do," Hawkins said. "... I just feel bad for him. I mean that guy popping his Achilles, and then you guys are here too, I mean that guy comes every single day."
Come one,
come all
Several hundred fans watched Saturday's afternoon practice behind ropes along one side and one end line of the practice fields. Many wanted to see new members of the team for the first time and some just wanted to see how the team was progressing.
Some coaches around the country would never allow such access. Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops has opened practices in the past but has his two-time defending Big 12 champion Sooners practicing behind closed doors this year. Hawkins said he welcomes fans to practice every Sunday during the season and keeps the first two weeks of training camp open for a variety of reasons.
Hawkins said it helps build a bigger fan base, it attracts people to campus and it helps his players who know they're being scrutinized but also get rewarded by cheers.
"No need to be that secretive really," Hawkins said.
Hawkins said there is always some concern about onlookers passing along information to future opponents and CU does have visitors to practice sign in, but Hawkins said policing that is an impossible fight.
"With society the way it is now, I don't know that you can keep all that on lock down unless we have a permanent indoor facility that we always went in and nobody got in," Hawkins said.
Hawkins on
coaches' poll
Hawkins is one of the 61 coaches participating in the USA Today coaches' poll this year. It is the seventh consecutive season Hawkins has been a voter in the poll, which was released this week.
One coach had the Buffs ranked somewhere in his poll, giving them a spot in the "others receiving votes" portion.
Hawkins is one of seven Big 12 coaches participating, the most from any conference. His former offensive coordinator at Boise State and the current Broncos head coach Chris Peterson is also a voter. Hawkins did not say if he voted for his team.
Sports information director Dave Plati assists Hawkins with his ballot each week. Hawkins said he is a proponent of the idea of waiting until mid-September to vote for the first time each year.
"We don't just throw it out there," Hawkins said. "We work on it and Dave always keeps me updated on what's going on. ... I try to do it in a responsible manner. It means a lot to me, and if I was one of the guys in the poll, I would want those guys to seriously think about it."
Notable
Hawkins said he will wait to the end of training camp to announce team captains, who will be selected by a vote by teammates. ... The Buffs practice twice today (1:45 p.m.-3:45 p.m. and 8-10 p.m.).

Bad news
One of the unfortunate stories of the preseason was the news that offensive lineman Kermit Tyler, a freshman from New Orleans, had been diagnosed with an allergic reaction to strenuous exercise. Tyler has been barred from playing for Ole Miss, though the school will honor his scholarship. His football career appears to be finished. "This is just a very freak incident," Nutt said. "I'm just glad our doctors and (head athletic trainer) Tim Mullins went to Jackson, and I'm glad they did the blood work and really studied it and found this thing."

First the cuse lose starter mike williams , now his replacement is out too....

Syracuse, NY -- Sophomore wide receiver Dan Sheeran (Golden Bridges, NY) broke the fibula in his right leg during practice Saturday morning and will be out for 8-10 weeks, said head coach Greg Robinson. Sheeran watched the practice on crutches and his right foot in a blue cast. Robinson said he's hoping Sheeran might return to play sometime in November.
The injury is a significant enough that senior safety Bruce Williams (Syracuse, CBA) has been moved back to wide receiver. Williams was dressed in an orange, offensive jersey for Saturday afternoon's practice and was taking snaps with the wide receivers.
"We didn't move him over there not to play," said Robinson of Williams.
Frank Ordoñez/The Post-StandardReceiver Dan Sheeran broke the fibula in his right leg during practice Saturday morning
Williams played receiver his freshman year, catching four passes for 52 yards. He was moved to safety after the season and has been mostly in a backup role. As a senior, Williams appeared to be in position to win the starting job at free safety. He's worked almost exclusively with the first-team defense in preseason camp.
Robinson said Max Suter and Paul Chiara are working at free safety. Senior A.J. Brown, who is playing strong safety in camp, has played free safety in the past.
Robinson said "it was tough" to ask Williams to go back to receiver. Robinson said he also considered returning cornerback Da'Mon Merkerson to receiver where he played a year ago as a true freshman, but felt the Orange had better depth at safety and Williams was a better option. He said Williams will provide immediate leadership in a receiving corps that is exceptionally young and inexperienced.
"It hurt my heart. I ain't going to lie," Williams said of the request to go back to offense. 'It hurt. The last two years, I've been at safety so I'm like, I've done grown with that defense so much, that it kind of hurt. I'm not even going to lie. But then I thought, if I've got to play receiver, I'm going to do it. It's like second nature to me still."
The Orange has already lost its two leading receivers from last season. Senior Taj Smith choose to forego his final season of eligibility for the NFL (free agent with the Green Bay Packers). Junior Mike Williams was dismissed from SU following the spring semester over academic matters.
Sheeran is one of just three receivers on the entire roster with any previous catches. He had four receptions for 24 yards last season and was considered - along with Lavar Lobdell and Donte Davis - to be among the receivers likely to find playing time in the starting rotation.
More in Sunday's Post-Standard.

btw , bruce williams was the projected starting free safety ... so they lose the starting WR , the guy slated to replace him , and now their FS because he is moving to wr.

ouch.

o man, when i saw your name Dwight, i hoped both Clemson RBs were out for game 1 because their feet were burned off from running too fast

o man, when i saw your name Dwight, i hoped both Clemson RBs were out for game 1 because their feet were burned off from running too fast

:36_11_6:

Jackson will be a pretty big loss though. He was one of the emotional leaders of the defense so it will be interesting to see how it plays out. Backing him up are junior Jamie Cumbie, a former 4* from Illinois who has logged significant playing time each of the last 2 seasons and has been pretty productive. Also providing depth is sophomore Jarvis Jenkins who has supposedly looked great in practice but will still be a significant step down from Jackson IMO

yea big loss, but with that Dline and the depth, it shouldn't be show up this early in the season. another injury or two up front and the run D could get ugly.

I am seeing reports Ole Miss DE Greg Hardy is out indefinitely after having surgery today on an unspecified foot injury.

[FONT=trebuchet ms,geneva]OXFORD, Miss. – Ole Miss junior defensive end Greg Hardy underwent outpatient surgery Monday afternoon on his right foot to repair a stress fracture in his fifth metatarsal. [/FONT]

[FONT=trebuchet ms,geneva]The procedure was performed at the Oxford Surgery Center, and the Millington, Tenn., native is expected to miss six to eight weeks of action, according to Ole Miss head athletic trainer Tim Mullins.[/FONT]

[FONT=trebuchet ms,geneva]“It’s an unfortunate setback for Greg, but we’re glad the surgery went well and he can begin his recovery,” said Rebel head coach Houston Nutt. “We look forward to getting him back on the field later this season.”[/FONT]

[FONT=trebuchet ms,geneva]Hardy has earned preseason All-America honors from several media outlets and was named to watch lists for the Rotary Lombardi Award, Nagurski Trophy and Hendricks Award. Last year, he topped the SEC in sacks (10.0) and ranked second in TFLs (18.5). [/FONT]

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">Mississippi St. starting free safety Pegues suspended for game

• Derek Pegues violated Mississippi State's class attendance policy
  • Pegues will miss the Bulldogs' season opener at Louisiana Tech
  • Croom said reserve linebacker Karlin Brown would also miss the opener
</td></tr></tbody></table>STARKVILLE, Miss. (AP) -- Coach Sylvester Croom has announced the one-game suspension of starting free safety Derek Pegues for violating Mississippi State's class attendance policy.
Croom said reserve linebacker Karlin Brown would also miss the Bulldogs' Aug. 30 game at Louisiana Tech for the same violation.
Under the university's policy, which is mandated by the Southeastern Conference, four or more absences per class trigger a one-game suspension.
Pegues started 25 consecutive games for Mississippi St. and his five interceptions last year were a team best. His 75-yard fourth-quarter punt return tied an Egg Bowl game against Ole Miss the team later won.
With Pegues out, sophomore Zach Smith could get the start.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">MTSU loses starting center for year

• Jake Padrick, MTSU's projected starting center, is out for the year
  • Padrick suffered a knee injury at Saturday's scrimmage
</td></tr></tbody></table>MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (AP) -- Middle Tennessee State has lost two players because of injuries, including the projected starting center.
Coach Rick Stockstill said Monday that offensive lineman Jake Padrick will miss the season after suffering a knee injury in Saturday's scrimmage. Padrick, anticipated to be the team's No. 1 center, was helped off the field halfway through the scrimmage.
Linebacker Landon Givers will have to give up football because of a back injury. He took a redshirt year in 2007 and did not participate in spring drills, hoping the injury would improve.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">Anderson out six weeks with hernia

• Reserve Washington State receiver Jeshua Anderson will miss six weeks
  • Anderson, a star on the track team, underwent hernia surgery
</td></tr></tbody></table>PULLMAN, Wash. (AP) -- Jeshua Anderson, the NCAA 400-meter hurdles champion who was expected to play a prominent role on the Washington State football team, will be sidelined for at least six weeks after a hernia operation.
The sophomore wide receiver discovered the hernia last week and surgery was performed Monday.
WSU staffers say Anderson's recovery time is expected to be six and eight weeks.
That means he would miss at least the first four games of the season, against Oklahoma State, California, Baylor and Portland State.
Anderson played in all 12 games as a freshman, catching 12 passes for 372 yards, or 31 yards per catch.
As a member of the WSU track team, he won the NCAA 400 meter hurdles in a school record 48.69 seconds this year.

THIS IS A VERY BAD ONE, sucks, hate seeing all of these talented kids get hurt

Georgia LT Studivant injured, possibly out for year

http://dawg-extra.blogspot.com/2008/...nt-update.html

From the article:

Left tackle Trinton Sturdivant hurt his knee during the afternoon's scrimmage. Richt said he did not know the severity of the situation at this point, but reading between the lines a little, it didn't sound good.

"Trinton hurt his knee. I don't know for sure yet how bad, but it swelled up pretty good," Richt said.

In response to the question of whether it was a season-ender, Richt said, "you always fear that, but until we know, I don't want to say anything. ... I know how things fly out, but it's not going to come from me."

Richt said the injury occured on a pass-rush situation, where Stafford stepped up in the pocket to avoid pressure and the two tackles and two DEs collided in the middle.

"It makes you sick," Richt said. "It's just sad to see a guy get hurt like that."

Richt said Josh Davis played the rest of the snaps at left tackle with the first team, and mentioned Clint Boling and Cordy Glenn as other possible replacements for Sturdivant, although Boling is suspended for the first game of the season after an off-field incident during the offseason.

Richt also didn't rule out moving Kiante Tripp from right to left tackle, but said it was too early to make any significant decisions on that.

Last edited:
Yep, that one is huge. No backup of any note at LT and the unofficial word is that he's out for the year.

No, No, No. Not Him.

Horrible, awful, dreadful, terrible news: Trinton Sturdivant is hurt. There's no official word on the injury yet, but it looks like he could be lost for the year. Of all the players to lose for the year, Sturdivant may be the most damaging. Unlike Stafford or Knowshon, there is no back up at left tackle, the most crucial offensive line spot, with any appreciable experience to speak of.

Now, it sounds as if the line will be reshuffled to protect Stafford's blind side. Josh Davis is the official back up, but sources speculate that Kiante Tripp, Vince Vance, Cordy Glenn, or Clint Boling could move to left tackle. (Image: DawgPost)

The dim view says this is a serious, serious blight on any championship hopes. Without Sturdivant, we will return only two starters on the O line and one of those will be playing a new position. If Boling moves, every O line spot will have a new face this year. On the line, experience counts and we'll be breaking in someone new everywhere. A potential strength has now turned into a very ominous question mark.

An optimistic view says this is bad, but manageable. We may be young up front, but have talent to burn. Someone will step up. Last year, things looked much worse, but guys like Boling and Sturdivant stepped up and played great. If Stacy Searles can cobble together a good line last year, this year his job should be easier with added depth and talent.

I'm somewhere in the middle. We've got talent to replace Sturdivant, but we'll need some time for the line to gel. From a talent perspective, I'm not frightened of anyone until we face LSU's pass rush. I can't think of another really scary pass rusher on the schedule before then. But, scheme wise, Ellis Johnson, Nick Saban, and John Chavis will be staying up late tonight designing stunts to befuddle Josh Davis. Even if we can't find someone to fill Sturdivant's large shoes, you can still use Bruce Figgins or a back to slow a pass rush and protect Stafford's back. In other words, even if we can't find someone as good as T.S., we can scheme around it until the line gets some time to figure things out. But with this schedule, we had better figure things out soon.

And, please dear Lord, protect our players and their knees for the rest of the season.

Now official

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">Georgia LT Sturdivant to have season-ending surgery

• Sturdivant will have season-ending surgery after suffering an injury to his knee
  • Losing Sturdivant is a major blow to Georgia's offensive line
  • Josh Davis, a sophomore, moved up to the first-team offense
t1_sturdivant.jpg

Trinton Sturdivant was considered to be Georgia's best offensive lineman.
Lynn Bass/Icon SMI

</td></tr></tbody></table>ATHENS, Ga. (AP) -- Georgia is having to recast its plans for its offensive line after losing starting left tackle Trinton Sturdivant for the season.
Coach Mark Richt said Tuesday Sturdivant will have season-ending reconstructive surgery after suffering an injury to his left knee in the team's first preseason scrimmage on Monday.
Sturdivant, from Wadesboro, N.C., started all 13 games as a true freshman in 2007.
A date for the surgery has not been set.
Josh Davis, a sophomore, moved up to the first-team offense following Sturdivant's injury in the scrimmage at Sanford Stadium.

Last edited:
Back