Now what?????

And what do Marlins do? How can they even play a game for the next 2 weeks with 14 players in quarantine? I’m thinking Philly game gets cancelled tonight too

Just woke ...

Read the athletic article last night that said 3 guys had tested positive..I'm assuming the other 11 were awaiting results?

As far as another team coming into that clubhouse...you gotta hope that their is protocols for mass cleaning each and every day after the games. If not, that's scary it wasn't thought about.

And what do Marlins do? How can they even play a game for the next 2 weeks with 14 players in quarantine? I’m thinking Philly game gets cancelled tonight too
Minor Leaguers?

That was always my opinion. Just like football..no bubble .. you're gonna have positives...hence bigger rosters...and need to be prepared.

Obviously, that's a lot of the roster to replace. Again, what was the plan ahead of time for this?

Last post. We know the leadership in baseball is ...um... Not good. So, I guess this could have been expected.

Smart on Bryce to 'mask up' last night.

I’m guessing they have safe guards in place for this as far as how to proceed without cancelling the season as those who thought this through should have expected and planned for this

Welp......for what its worth, it was a GLORIOUS weekend (season) of MLB......COVID sux

Go Vaccine by November 2020

Owners greed vs. public health safety. Ill begotten.....
True, but we need to remember that these guys prolly go through the Rona process without ever knowing they have it if they were not required to be tested

Obviously in the overall scheme, there are a few that exhibit symptoms, but that is a small percentage so far in the sports world.

What probably happens next is the MLB season eventually gets shut down, and the posters on this site will find ~15 extreme twitter accounts to re-post poking holes in why this isn’t just a failure to listen to scientists.

What probably happens next is the MLB season eventually gets shut down, and the posters on this site will find ~15 extreme twitter accounts to re-post poking holes in why this isn’t just a failure to listen to scientists.
Thanks JVS

How yesterday’s game got played in Philly is a very succinct case study for agency risk. How the Marlins were the ones to decide whether they played is just mind boggling.

Now the trolls are out to lecture us about „science.“

You had to have known that this stupidly cynical post would bring down the thread.

How yesterday’s game got played in Philly is a very succinct case study for agency risk. How the Marlins were the ones to decide whether they played is just mind boggling.
It definitely was interesting how that went down yesterday.

The season should not be shut down.

Obviously, we have an issue with one team.

This is where you get all teams in contact tested. Those teams might need to do makeups down the road as they await results (basically, go against what happened yesterday).

This is why rosters are expanded and we know we have a huge pool of guys who can and want to play.

Now, hopefully all these protocols were already in place ...but this is MLB. So, who knows?

If anyone didn't think this would happen they are fooling themselves. Again, without testing we wouldn't know any of these guys had it most likely.

Just like with regular jobs, you have protocols in place to keep a business moving. Hopefully MLB had this thought out ahead of time. That is 50/50 .

The problem now is realistically the Marlins and Phils shouldn’t play any games for at least 4-5 days to avoid asymptomatic spread. That has trickle down effects, I.e. not every team plays 60 games, god knows what else.

The season should not be shut down.

Obviously, we have an issue with one team.

This is where you get all teams in contact tested. Those teams might need to do makeups down the road as they await results (basically, go against what happened yesterday).

This is why rosters are expanded and we know we have a huge pool of guys who can and want to play.

Now, hopefully all these protocols were already in place ...but this is MLB. So, who knows?

If anyone didn't think this would happen they are fooling themselves. Again, without testing we wouldn't know any of these guys had it most likely.

Just like with regular jobs, you have protocols in place to keep a business moving. Hopefully MLB had this thought out ahead of time. That is 50/50 .

I agree with this notion, but team sports not in a bubble is very very difficult to have adequate plans for unless you literally restrict personnel’s movement and interactions off the field which nobody is down with.

I’m not in here claiming that there was some sort of logical answer to avoid this, but at this stage this seems very dicey. The sport has a thin needle to thread, with players and owners as far apart as ever and a commissioner standing between them that doesn’t feel extraordinarily competent at the moment.

Would also imagine the Eduardo Rodriguez News has hit more locker rooms by now too.

The problem now is realistically the Marlins and Phils shouldn’t play any games for at least 4-5 days to avoid asymptomatic spread. That has trickle down effects, I.e. not every team plays 60 games, god knows what else.
Yeah, that makes absolute sense no doubt.

We'll need double-headers to occur later in season and that should have left extra time in schedule for makeups.

Poor planning. Shocker from MLB.

You knew it was coming, gotta be ready.

I agree with this notion, but team sports not in a bubble is very very difficult to have adequate plans for unless you literally restrict personnel’s movement and interactions off the field which nobody is down with.

I’m not in here claiming that there was some sort of logical answer to avoid this, but at this stage this seems very dicey. The sport has a thin needle to thread, with players and owners as far apart as ever and a commissioner standing between them that doesn’t feel extraordinarily competent at the moment.

Would also imagine the Eduardo Rodriguez News has hit more locker rooms by now too.
Yes, we've seen that even an NBA bubble gets 'popped' so these baseball guys are roaming free as they can. Not ideal.

As far as Rodriguez, yeah, that's definitely something to think about. He had symptoms, correct?

So do you think “scientists” would agree that a virus would live on surfaces in a clubhouse for days? Even after that clubhouse was fumigated 3 times? Yes, let’s listen to science...there’s zero chance the science would say there is a concern given the cleaning already done and how long a virus lives on a surface.

The players rejected the bubble idea

Hard to not bubble in MLB and prevent this from happening given how many games they play

let’s hope this is really the only outbreak we have

I thought the thing put in place for this was they were going by winning percentage in standings

They mentioned it on one of the broadcasts I watched saturday I think

Obviously minimum games, I.e Marlins going 2-1 wont count

But if you need to cancel these two teams for a week so be it

Soto had it and no one else on the nats seems to has it

No bubble was super dumb by the players. Especially when you went with a 2 month season

Thats no different in length than what nhl and nba are doing

We're all these guys asymptomatic?

I'm guessing so...that's the craziest part. We'd never know without them being athletes and required testing.

imagine how many other essential workers and just people in general probably have had it and couldn’t get tested. Imagine being told you’re sick. You feel fine and everything’s riggt. Your body feels fine. Yet somebody tells you you’re sick. Insane

Soto had it and no one else on the nats seems to has it

No bubble was super dumb by the players. Especially when you went with a 2 month season

Thats no different in length than what nhl and nba are doing
Yeah, it's interesting on how you can have an isolated case and then a big breakout like that...

Still going with Atlanta and wings theory.

My question is what scientists should we be listening too

Apparently they looking for bodies to fill in. Philly game been cancelled which as you said was to be expected. I would think Philly players now gonna have to be under quarantine right? I assume they all getting tested today but don’t you have to remain quarantined and have several negative test for days before it ok to start interacting again?

You shouldn’t need to quarantine if you test negative. Maybe for a day or 2. And playing baseball is not the contact they talk about when “have you been in contact with someone who has covid-19”. Basketball, yes, baseball, no.

So do you think “scientists” would agree that a virus would live on surfaces in a clubhouse for days? Even after that clubhouse was fumigated 3 times? Yes, let’s listen to science...there’s zero chance the science would say there is a concern given the cleaning already done and how long a virus lives on a surface.

The clubhouse is addressable - the problem is asymptomatic Phillies who might not test positive for many days.

The clubhouse is addressable - the problem is asymptomatic Phillies who might not test positive for many days.

I’m not sure how one Philly, maybe the catcher, could have caught this from a Marlin. And the catcher scenario to me unlikely.

But again, as Inspekdah just pointed out, it’s freaking baseball...they are almost never close to one another. If that’s really a concern (it shouldn’t be), then they shouldn’t have even fired the season back up. No one seems to be using “science,” but there’s plenty of virtue signaling going on.

Makes no sense how guys who tested positive were still allowed to play that game.

They didn’t know until after the game. It also just keeps proving that just because someone has it doesn’t really mean much (unless you’re elderly or have some type of underlying condition)...as they all played in the game (or could have) and had no symptoms whatsoever.

Also, knowing that the testing and results themselves have been pretty scatter shot and not reliable, what are the chances they don’t really have it anyway?

Back