NHL Offseason Moves / Discussion

Bernier hasn't proven to be any better than Reimer at this point, and if they gave up a cheap legit top 9 forward, a 2nd round pick, and cap space in the deal

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle
Career save percentages in NHL: Reimer .915, Bernier .912, Scrivens .910. In AHL: Reimer .920, Bernier .927, Scrivens .923.

If Bernier ends up being a top 15 starter it's a win for the Leafs, if not it's losing two good cheap assets

think we should just make this the off season thread, I think the next week is going to be bonkers from right after the cup ends until the draft

saw McKenzie/Dreger say the same thing, so many names in play and guys they expect to move

heard Phaneuf was in play again...

I personally like the Bernier trade for some intangibles, and dont for other... it takes Luongo off the table, but it takes some money to the cap away from resigning some guys who need to be... open competition for starter is always a good thing and a 1-2 combo

I dont like losing Frattin and he will thrive in LA if he gets to play on their third line which is much better than the Leafs.

Leafs have eyes on Oiler's Gagner and also heard some rumblings about a Hemsky trade coming up?

heard Phaneuf was in play again...

I personally like the Bernier trade for some intangibles, and dont for other... it takes Luongo off the table, but it takes some money to the cap away from resigning some guys who need to be... open competition for starter is always a good thing and a 1-2 combo

I dont like losing Frattin and he will thrive in LA if he gets to play on their third line which is much better than the Leafs.

no one's called for him, but Toronto has said he isn't untouchable.

I think it was Dreger who said yesterday that neither him or agent have been notified, but they will use one on Komisarek...

Leafs looking for the usual suspects top 4 D or top 2 C

I heard one wild idea. Reimer & Phaneuf for Gagner and Edmontons 1st Round Pick. Seems dumb if true. Also got to go after Statsny/Weiss. I think we get one of them. No way we pay Bozak what he wants, he worth around $3.5M and that's generous.

I heard one wild idea. Reimer & Phaneuf for Gagner and Edmontons 1st Round Pick. Seems dumb if true. Also got to go after Statsny/Weiss. I think we get one of them. No way we pay Bozak what he wants, he worth around $3.5M and that's generous.

That trade would be an effing steal for Toronto and that's not selling Reimer short either...if Weiss can stay healthy, he's a good addition to any time..Statsny seems lost and unmotivated half the time...and bozak is a great third line centre, which grabovski has become and I dont' think they want to pay Bozak Grabo money

Bryz will get $23,000,000 to NOT play for the flyers. How do you ask an owner to pony up that kind of money to get rid of a player? Crazy.

Jagr and Ference will not resign with Boston. Bergeron remains in the hospital following game 6 w/ hole in his lung.

Rangers 16/1 yes please

yeah, that looks pretty good value to me too - of course I'm a fan though. Just not sure how Vignault (spelling) will be in NY. Tough place to coach. Rangers have a pretty solid team. Defense with Girardi, McDonaugh, Staal (crossing fingers) is good.
Forwards are all pretty settled, just need to reup with Hagelin and Stepan, everyone else is under contract - don't think they'll spend big on Clowe.

Only unrestricted free agents on Rangers are Clowe, Eminger, Gilroy and Hamrlik, and I don't think anyone but Clowe and Eminger has a chance of coming back.

Big question of course is wtf to do with Richards.

Also think Wild at 33/1 isn't bad value. RAngers v. Wild 2014 cup finalists.

{eot}

Text Size
If Norris Trophy-nominated defenceman Kris Letang can't come to a long-term deal with the Pittsburgh Penguins, his preferred landing spot would be with the Toronto Maple Leafs, according to Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Speaking to Jim Tatti and Mike Hogan on TSN Radio 1050's Game Night on Wednesday, Rossi explained why such a scenario could take shape.

"Kris is a little bit curious about where he stands long range in the Penguins' plans," he told TSN Radio. "He has read reports of mine that there are people within the Pittsburgh organization that thought Paul Martin was the better defenceman last year, and there has been a sort of a hesitation on a willingness to commit to him (Letang) to a long-term deal at elite defenceman money.

"I've been told that if the Penguins couldn't reach some sort of understanding with Letang, and the belief was they wouldn't be able to sign him to some sort of deal, that Toronto has emerged as a preferred landing spot - perhaps by Letang. It would be a place that he would be willing, if dealt, to perhaps sign a long-term deal."
Where possible trades are concerned, Letang himself has no final say on who his next team would be. "We haven't discussed the Toronto Maple Leafs, period," Letang's agent Kent Hughes told TSN on Thursday morning. "Our focus has been on trying to conclude a deal with Pittsburgh."

Rossi also made it clear that Pittsburgh remains keenly interested in signing Letang to an extension.

"General manager Ray Shero has been very public since the lockout ended that he wants to retain Letang, but the Penguins have committed a lot of money to Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin and they have also committed no-movement clauses to both of those players," he explained. "They're very deep in their system on defence."

Letang had five goals and 33 assists in 35 games for the Penguins this season. Rossi noted that Pittsburgh's price to deal the 26-year-old Montreal native would be quite high.

"If the Penguins are going to move Letang they would want to deal with a team that could provide at least one roster player in addition to a first-round pick and a top prospect...if not two roster players in addition to a first-round pick," explained Rossi.

"But I don't think we're quite there yet and I don't know that they Penguins and Leafs have had any discussions."

The Penguins traded Jordan Staal to the Carolina Hurricanes at the NHL Draft a year ago when Staal declined to sign a long-term extension with Pittsburgh.

why trade though? if he's UFA next season and he REALLY wants to come to Toronto, why give up pieces and picks when you can bid for him in the summer of next year? unless they feel they need him now?

the leafs have a bunch of d kids coming up soon too...Gardiner should be every day next year, percy, reilly

because if they dont move for him someone else will trade for him, and chances are he will sign with them (or it could be contingent on the deal)

if he's mad at Pitt he will want to leave now

Teeed I fucking told you last year that Malkins deal was going to kill the Pens' chance of resigning players and going after FAs. I can't believe they are faves to win the Cup seemingly every year, they have won one and they had to get lucky to do that. So happy to watch them struggle with high expectations every year.

To be fair, the whole team looked pretty awful v. the Bruins, especially Cindy (to my delight).

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Rq3AgRwcCt4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

everybody seems to be in play this offseason

Rangers not buying out s a smart move IMO... who knows what Torts did to him

"The Canucks met yesterday as a front office and realized, "listen, we're not getting anywhere on the Roberto Luongo trade front."

They're just not trading that contract, they tried for a year, no one wants that contract. So they said "you know what let's put Cory Schneider out there for the next couple of days and see what we get in return.

In the end the Canucks front office believes that Luongo and Schneider are just about the same guy in goal. So if you get a nice return for Cory Schneider you've actually made your team better, you still have a world class goalie in net in Roberto Luongo, and suddenly you're a better team. But it's a pretty dramatic turn of events, and yes there is a lot of interest in Cory Schneider."

Pierre LeBrun on TSN

this would be fantastic, have said to Galtie all year I trade Schnieder because of the return

the kind of teams interested (NYI, Philly, Edmonton, Winnipeg) have the kind of players the Canucks need (young top 6 forwards)

Strome/Nino
Couts/Schenn + Simmonds/Read
Eberle
Kane/Scheifle

Dreger says Edmonton is willing to pay premium and mentions 7th overall + a top prospect

problem with that is all their top prospects are a year or two away, or they are Oscar Klefbom and MacT loves Klefbom (he plays D too, not really a need)

Back