NHL 2013/14 season -- theking's puck picks

theking

Pretty much a regular
Can't skate worth a damn but I love this sport.

Tonight is the home opener for the Vancouver Canucks, something that was unkind to them last year. I feel this year will be much the same, the Oilers hold value in this one for several reasons (i) improved roster from last season, (ii) quick scoring offense that has had success against Luongo, often in snowball fashion, and (iii) Canucks are still working out the wrinkles of their new coaches system. I love the young guns for the Oilers, I love the fact they have had success against Luongo, and I love the fact they are +137 this evening. I find it hard to believe that the Oilers at +137 tonight have LESS chance to win the game than the Flames at +134 do tomorrow....

Edmonton Oilers ML $36.50 to win $50

Last edited:
0-1 (-$36.50)

Islanders on a 3 game winless streak will host the Oilers who are playing their 5th game in 7 nights, and 4th in a row on the road (Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday). Been a bit of a bumpy road early on for NYI, starting the season 2-2-2, going 1-0-2 at home...Oilers are in a rough patch starting this season 1-5-1 having given up a power play goal in EVERY game this season. Their goaltending has been shaky, along with their defense, resulting in them giving up 4.57 goals per game...Islanders had some line-up changes that paid off yesterday until they gave up that late goal to the Sabres. I hope these changes continue to pay off into this game.
New York Islanders ML (-143) $35 to win $24.48

Parlay: $5 to win $302.97
Sabres ML / Flyers ML / Redwings ML / Senators ML / Canadiens ML / Predators ML

+19.48

Last edited:
1-1 (-17.02)

Late add here...Canucks playing their 4th road game in a road, starting the back-up goalie. The team is 2/24 on the PP and those 2 goals came early on in the season. They are about as good on the PK as they are bad on the PP. Fairly tough spot for the Blue Jackets as well; returning home off a 3 game road trip where they went 0-3, contributing to their current 0-4 streak. I think they can get it turned around and capture their first win at home tonight. McHilheny gets the start for CBJ, he has NHL experience and I think he will outplay Eddie Lack. With this said, I think both teams will get their offenses going. CBJ have given up PP goals in their last few games, so Vancouver should see a bit better PP output tonight. CBJ have had a bit more success on the PP going 6/25.

Blue Jackets ML (+113) $30 to win $33.90
Blue Jackets -1.5 (+305) $10 to win $30.50

Over 5.5 (+115) $25 to win $28.75

I fully expect to go 0-3 here but will accept any form of a winning wager. Good luck good luck

first period intermission: Blue Jackets 1 Canucks 0
Canucks were easily the better team that period, score just doesn't reflect that. I hop the Blue Jackets can turn it up this second period

Updated Record:

today: +$39.40

season: (2-2) +$22.38

sides (2-1) (+47.38)

totals (0-1) -$25

Last edited:
(2-2) +$22.38
sides (2-1) +$47.38
totals (0-1) -$25

Islanders finishing off a 4 game home stand against the Canucks who continue on their early season road trip. This is the Canucks 5th game in 7 days, and 5th game in a row on the road. They have played a lot of weird timed games and are on the east coast for this one (4:05pm) pacific start time; normally Canuck games start at 7:05-7:30pst....I like the Islanders at home getting +money..this team plays better at home at Tavares is a game changer. Luongo can be susceptible to the meltdown and Islanders have had the PP going well their last few games (4/13). Also throw out there, Vancouver has not played in Uniondale since 2008, kind of a weird tid-bit but things like this make a difference...

Islanders ML (+110) $35 to win $38.50

Islanders -1.5 (+288) $10 to win $28.80

good luck good luck

(2-3) (-$22.62)

Canucks/Devils To Tie - Yes (+283) $20 to win $56.60

Lean Canucks but this one is going to be tight imo.. Devils playing with a lot of desperation at home but the Canucks are more talented... I think we see some extra puck! Good luck mates

Canucks dressed 11 forwards, 2 got injured in the 1st period leaving them with 9 forwards for the rest of the game...

Canucks play in St. Louis tomorrow; will be on the blues

Would have been sick had I bet the Canucks in this one -- no way they deserve to win this game if they do...17-7 shots in the third period for the Devils....

Cannot wait to hit St. Louis tomorrow.

Last edited:
Cheers Hugh -- just had an inkling that this game was going to be close...Devils playing lots of OT games so far this season.

3-3 (+$33.98)

Clutch pick yesterday with the Tie game between the Canucks & Devils... maybe it was mutual, these teams played each other twice this year, tied in Vancouver, tied in NJ, both teams walk away with 2 points and the fans got some free hockey.

Well, the road trip for the Canucks continues on...with a game in St. Louis tonight. Roberto is getting a night off, Canucks have called up some AHL'ers so they have 4 lines tonight. The twins & their boyfriends had to play extended minutes (24+ yesterday) and now roll into St. Louis to play their 7th in 10 days...Canucks have been on this wild 7 game road trip and have a 4-1-1 record, and I think they come in to this one with a lack of focus.

On the other side of the ice, the Blues are the exact opposite of the Canucks. They have not played in a week, they have been at some fishing or golf place for the last week probably getting drunk, what else do hockey players do in their down time? They should be well rested and this one likely gets ugly as St. Louis is a tough, versatile and complete squad with a lot of depth. They have played an above average strength of schedule (in my opinion) and with the Canucks having played as many games in the past 7 days as the Blues have all season, I'll be making a wager on STL tonight.

I haven't come up with the amounts yet but I will post when I do -- cheers and best of luck!

St. Louis 1st Period -0.5 (+152) $32.89 to win $50

St Louis Blues -1.5 (+142) $35.21 to win $50

St. Louis Blues regulation -0.5 (-121) $60.50 to win $50

Blues -1.5 (+139) x Islanders ML (+191) $13.48 to win $80.27

Bit of a risky betting scheme -- If I had $1800 to put on Blues ML I would.

Islanders is more of my action/degen side coming out..I like the odds that this spits out so for less than $15 is worth a wager to me.

good luck good luck folks

Was stuck in traffic but see that the first period didn't go to good. 11 total shots, Canucks score one late. Likely couldn't be a worse stay for Columbus but I did expect a bit of a rusty start. I also expected the Canucks to take a while to get there legs. Hopefully they had Em early and lose Em soon. Need the blues to score 3 goals to show any real profit from this one. Sad thing is Canucks will probably play some trap, sit back and try to keep this one a low scoring game. Let's go Blues!

Damn, threw away 142.80 on that one.

Blues had more energy in the 3rd but didn't get it done. Cheers fellas, always then next game

3-4 (-$108.10)

Last edited:
Couple of tie games today...

Montreal / Ottawa To Tie? Yes (+297) $15 to win $43.80

Islanders / Hurricanes To Tie? Yes (+297) $15 to win $43.80

Back