NFL Week 1 What Are We Learning

The Lions draft was damn good.

They were much maligned that night.

As the process of the off-season has went on, people started to understand the picks.

Gibbs
LaPORTA
Campbell
Branch

All made plays tonight, big plays.

Hutch is just extremely disruptive.

Montgomery will be much more appreciated as a Lion.

Pacheco should be the main back in KC.

I'm curious how holds get called this weekend in the league. Was tonight just due to the crew, or is there a memo out?

Last edited:
Jawaan Taylor was lined up in the backfield… a lot. He’s a right tackle!

Impressed by Gibbs despite only 9 touches for 60 total yards. I gotta think OC Johnson has some plays up his sleeve to get the ball to Gibbs in space. This O has some speed, especially when Jameson is back

Campbell has some balls… loved that fake punt inside his own 20.

KC needs a WR to step up. Kelce may be seeing more double teams until then. Terrible drops.

Curious decision for Chiefs to go for it on 4th and 25 with all timeouts plus two-minute warning deep in their own territory late in the fourth quarter.

What a fucking win by Detroit. Now sure, the KC receivers sure helped them out, but this win was NOT a fluke. This team is very good all around.

Colts look interesting against teams who can‘t
pass and who don‘t defend well against running QBs

But AR passing efficiency is also impressing me.

Well I found out preseason means nothing. 49ers looked like straight garbage and steelers looked like world beaters. And I'm talking 1st team vs 1st teamers in preaeason.

QBs that saw no action in the preseason:

Lamar - below average game. No TDs, two turnovers. Fortunate to be playing a bottom 3 team
Kirk - Solid but inefficient. 344 yards but only 17 points? Big INT at the end of the first half and completely ineffective in the 4th Q.
Hurts - poor game for him, only 207 total yards. Huge fumble late could've been very costly.
Tannehill - dogshit. 3 picks, sub 50 percent completion rating
Goff - typical road Goff, unspectacular with only 14 points of production
Burrow - just a train wreck today. Wasn't even allowed to finish game. Rainy game.
Stafford - surprising exception to some of the subpar showings above, he moved the ball well all day. Almost 9 YPA is very good.
Dak - Cowboys smashed the Giants but Dak has been mostly a passenger. 10-18 late in the 3rd quarter for only 117 yards. Rainy game.
Herbert - Chargers put up 34 but Herbert was less than half the story as the offense ran for over 200 yards.

Except for Stafford it wasn't great out there. Teams were 6-3 ATS so it wasn't effective that way, but betting player props to the under looks like it would have done quite well.

It's going to take at least another week to understand whether SNF blowout was more Giants o-line being helpless or Cowboys d-line being amazing. Obviously the answer will involve some extent of both

Chiefs had to have a lot of things go against them to lose that TNF game. No Kelce, no Jones, massive buffoonery from Toney, a disappearing act from Moore. And yet they only lost by one and were in a position to win late. The WRs will work out, but that RT could be a headache for much of the year. Chiefs will be OK.

Lions got a big morale boost with the win but they need another WR option to help Sun God. Unlike the Chiefs the Lions secondary receivers are not young. Jameson might be the ticket when he gets back from his suspension. Hutchinson is going to be a problem for teams all year. Are they the class of the NFC North? I don't know, the Packers looked damn good today even without Watson. I still think Green Bay is a little better.

Chiefs had to have a lot of things go against them to lose that TNF game. No Kelce, no Jones, massive buffoonery from Toney, a disappearing act from Moore. And yet they only lost by one and were in a position to win late. The WRs will work out, but that RT could be a headache for much of the year. Chiefs will be OK.

Lions got a big morale boost with the win but they need another WR option to help Sun God. Unlike the Chiefs the Lions secondary receivers are not young. Jameson might be the ticket when he gets back from his suspension. Hutchinson is going to be a problem for teams all year. Are they the class of the NFC North? I don't know, the Packers looked damn good today even without Watson. I still think Green Bay is a little better.

The Bears are terrible. One of the worst teams in the NFL.

QBs that saw no action in the preseason:

Lamar - below average game. No TDs, two turnovers. Fortunate to be playing a bottom 3 team
Kirk - Solid but inefficient. 344 yards but only 17 points? Big INT at the end of the first half and completely ineffective in the 4th Q.
Hurts - poor game for him, only 207 total yards. Huge fumble late could've been very costly.
Tannehill - dogshit. 3 picks, sub 50 percent completion rating
Goff - typical road Goff, unspectacular with only 14 points of production
Burrow - just a train wreck today. Wasn't even allowed to finish game. Rainy game.
Stafford - surprising exception to some of the subpar showings above, he moved the ball well all day. Almost 9 YPA is very good.
Dak - Cowboys smashed the Giants but Dak has been mostly a passenger. 10-18 late in the 3rd quarter for only 117 yards. Rainy game.
Herbert - Chargers put up 34 but Herbert was less than half the story as the offense ran for over 200 yards.

Except for Stafford it wasn't great out there. Teams were 6-3 ATS so it wasn't effective that way, but betting player props to the under looks like it would have done quite well.
Yep. I think @Capaholic brought this up in his thread.

I’m learning that Maria Taylor looks more and more fake each week… oh, the games?

Wtf was that by NYG? I don’t think they are that bad, nor DallASS that good. That was ridiculous.

SF gonna be a big problem IF Purdy stays healthy.

Jordan Love did better than I thought he would. Though, then again, it WAS against the Bears.

Brian Burns was the best player on the field in Car/Atl.

I think the Falcons would've thrown more if Ridder didn't get hit every time he dropped back.

The Bijan/Algeier 1-2 punch is deadly. Unfortunately if you own Bijan in fantasy, you are probably losing goal line touches for now. If you own London, you probably need to worry.

Carolina pretty much handed the game to ATL with 3 turnovers. Atl with short fields scored after all 3.

No real long sustained drives for ATL. Lot of 3 and outs despite how Bijan and TA played.

ATL pass blocking better improve if they want to win the South. They also got 0 pressure on Bryce.

Speaking of Bryce. Not bad, not great. Couple of bad picks in their territory really hurt. But he did show some signs that should leave fans encouraged. And let's face it, he doesn't have many weapons right now.

If your tight ends suck or are hurt, Hayden Hurst might be worth picking up. He was quite popular with Bryce yesterday.

Also how the hell does anyone lose 40-0 in the NFL anymore? JFC

Last edited:
I just saw the Tua highlights. Anyone watch the whole game? Man he had some precision passing.
I'm a Fins guy, but still not 100% sold on him. He does make some great throws, but still tries to force into coverage, and still underthrows Hill and Waddle (which you could argue is understandable). If he can have time and make better decisions, he can be very very good. Time will tell whether he gets an extension, but he can put up some awesome numbers with his weapons.

In all my reading saw mostly Bucs, Seahawks, steelers and giants. Saw little or nothing on other sides of those. Would think books did very well week 1.

Atlanta is such a tough watch. They only ran 48 plays, with 13 first downs, yet won due to two Young INTs setting up TD and FG "drives" of 17 and 5 yards. Only 8 out of 48 plays involved a WR and I still don't know who their TE is because he wasn't involved at all.

B Young gets a pass this year because his WR room is horrendous.

Browns simply have Burrow's number. Not sure why but he's 1-5 now against them and a HOF candidate against everyone else. How Tee Higgins can go 0 for 8 is ponderous, man, freaking ponderous. Browns identity showed: run the ball, play tough pass D and get just enough from Deshaun. If they can stick to their identity they can make the playoffs.

Jags seemed to be playing with their food all game yet you look up at the end and they had 31 on the board. They didn't even use Kirk. They're deep and good. Richardson was balling for awhile then he took a couple of hard shots late. I snagged him as a lottery ticket in a couple of FF leagues where I didn't grab a top 7 guy. Hoping he can stay in the lineup. Jackson was brutal, 13 carries for 14 yards. Moss should be ready to go next week.

Vikings are getting their regression to the mean in close games this year. Bucs were not all that good but they got a free FG and a big turnover at the end of the half to keep Minny off the board. Neither team could run for shit.

Saints and Titans are two teams that can play pretty good D which showed in 8 FGs vs 1 TD. Saints look more dynamic with Olave and Shaheed > Hopkins and Burks, and Carr > Tannehill. Saints are IMO the best on the NFC South.

BTW, did anyone have a 3-1 NFC South on their bingo card?

Pittsburgh media needs to head to the blackboard Bart Simpson style and write "Preseason results don't matter" 100 times. A lot of embarrassment at the Three Rivers today, but they get a shot at redemption against their old whipping boy, the Browns next Monday. The Niners.....what can you say they have the total package right now. Like Dallas, I'm worried about being that buttoned up and on point so early in the season. It's a long year, can they still look this good in January? Last year they couldn't. One thing: they sure did travel and were LOUD. Steeler nation is not used to getting invaded but it's happening more frequently these days.

Dallas at Niners on SNF Week 5. NBC will start advertising that one next week.

Arizona showed a lot more fight than anyone expected. Dobbs had a dreadful 4.4 YPA. If you're playing for the #1 pick it wasn't that obvious this week. Howell is another QB who looked a lot better when the bullets were rubber in August. He should improve but who knows.

Already mentioned how rusty Lamar looked earlier in the thread. They need a replacement for Dobbins now. Question is do you go big with Taylor or the bargain bin with Fournette? They do already have Melvin Gordon so they might hold tight for a little bit. Zay Flowers looked like a real weapon. Gonna be a long season in Houston.

How about Jimmy G and the Raiders? Just about every drop back looked like disaster was going to strike, but he made the play at a 78% clip. Jacobs was bottled up all game, but better days should be ahead. Russell was not terrible but the offense has no deep threat without Jeudy, Hamler or Patrick. It showed with under 6 YPA. Perine is just a really good backup RB.

Last edited:
I learned that a franchise QB went under general anesthesia for 11 hours to get a billboard's worth of tattoos.

I'm amazed at this on multiple levels and will continue to be so for a long time to come.

Purdy has a mastery of Kyle's offense and it's easy to see why Lance had no path forward.

Houston has a solid D, but is so limited offensively.

Ravens will struggle if they can't run the ball, and now down Dobbins. Gus and Hill aren't elite. This offensive change was made to help them come playoff time, but will be a struggle to start.

Giants aren't good, Dimes isn't good, coach isn't the 2nd coming of BB. They played a joke of a schedule last year and beat an overrated Minny team.

Minny isn't good - 5-6 win team if the ball doesn't bounce their way EVERY time like it did last year.

Bears have a problem - the pieces the new GM has brought in I highly question. Defensive coach, with a mediocre defense, and a limited QB. Yikes.

GB is going to be GB without Rodgers. Playoff bound.

Lions got the dub but didn't look good. 14 points of offense vs. a bad defense without Jones.

Chiefs will be fine and the best of the AFC.

Dolphins could be the 2nd, although that defense doesn't look elite.

Jimmy G simply wins, 16 points allowed by the defense can be credited to him and I don't understand it but that's what happens. BIG line almost 10 @ Buffalo next week.

Russ wasn't a train wreck but he wasn't good in the 2h.

Nothing to read into with the Bengals, yet. Miserable weather and Joe still partying from his contract coming off an injury.

Browns defense is nice. Like them in the AFC North.

Don't get too down on Pitt, they ran into now the favorites to win the whole shabang.

Jags got the dub but allowed a lot of offense to Richardson.

Colts will lose a lot of games but be fun to watch. Buckner 99 is a top 3 defensive player.

Saints/Tits. Eh, nothing has changed. Nice win for NOLA.

Commanders do not look good - lucky win.

Zona had some fight - but this is a 3-4 win team.

Patriots were the right side and should have won but p6s are hard to overcome.

Eagles are right there with SF but I think this offensive attack will not have the success it had last year to the same degree.

Rams! Seattle I think is just bad... but nice win.

Cowboys won that game 40-0 and it felt like they had 5 first downs? Definitely a top 5 team.

I learned that a franchise QB went under general anesthesia for 11 hours to get a billboard's worth of tattoos.

I'm amazed at this on multiple levels and will continue to be so for a long time to come.
I thought it was local.
Either way, complete pussy move.

Yesterday was the first time I ever sat down and watched mostly the Red Zone Channel. Usually I would stick with one or two games or go with a four or eight-game box in the DirecTV days. It was pretty good but a little unnerving, like having someone else in the house in charge of the remote. I'll probably stick with it, especially in the 1 o'clock window.

Glancing through the week's stats:

Only five 300 yard passing games yesterday and the names were a bit surprising: Tua, Kirk, Stafford, Mac Jones and Derek Carr.

Three 100 yard rushers and there were no surprises there: CMac, Ekeler and Chubb.

On the negative side the following had 12+ carries and averaged 2.5 yards or less: Rhamondre, AJ Dillon, Deon Jackson, Jerome Ford, Rachaad White, Jamaal Williams and Cam Akers.

Seven 100 yard receivers and it was a mix of the obvious and LA Rams: Freak, JJ, Aiyuk, Ridley, Olave along with Tutu Atwell and Puka Nacua.

Nick Folk went from Hoodie and his 3 FGs per game to Young Hoodie and knocked through 5. Ironically Hoodie's new kicker didn't even try one.

Cowboys new kicker Brandon Aubrey never played high school or college football. He kicked off 8 times in the rain in NJ and I think 7 cleared the end zone.

The Bengals punted TEN times yesterday.

TJ Watt being lauded for his 3 sacks and 2 forced fumbles in spite of the bad loss for Pittsburgh. Also with 3 sacks were Josh Allen for Jax and Drake Jackson for SF. Also with 2 forced fumbles was Montez Sweat for the WFT. Jessie Bates for ATL had two INTs.

No safeties yet.

Talking about Kickers? How about rookie Gruppe hitting all his in a FG dominated game for the Saints, while Lutz misses an XP in Denver to lose the game by 1

Yesterday was the first time I ever sat down and watched mostly the Red Zone Channel. Usually I would stick with one or two games or go with a four or eight-game box in the DirecTV days. It was pretty good but a little unnerving, like having someone else in the house in charge of the remote. I'll probably stick with it, especially in the 1 o'clock window.

Right. People are so excited about the "multi view" of 4 games at once on YouTube.

I'm thinking half these people been under a rock and never watched on direct tv which not only had 4 games at once, but 8.

And not a 60-90 second delay.

Lol…I did the same thing for the early games…..

Then my smart azz saw that the games were mostly unders in the 1q or 1h…

I then RR the last 6 games of the day 1Q and 1H
Unders and went a perfecto 0-6….luckily it was beer money…..

Also went 1-3 with Jets pending…..

Gotta learn to fade myself…….

I'd say not to worry about the Bills but some of Allen's decisions on throws were really tough to understand. Last time we saw him in a big game he looked pretty pedestrian against the Bengals. I wondered then if his elbow was a concern. Now I wonder if the Hamlin experience may have given them a new sense of perspective about playing the game and might have taken away a bit of their will to compete. There's something not right with this team.

The Jets are going to give the milf hunter a few weeks to prove he's learned something under Rodgers wing and if he hasn't I would think they'll be working the phones. Between the two headed monster at RB, Garrett Wilson making combat catches and that top 3 defense they will still have a chance to do some good things.

I'd say not to worry about the Bills but some of Allen's decisions on throws were really tough to understand. Last time we saw him in a big game he looked pretty pedestrian against the Bengals. I wondered then if his elbow was a concern. Now I wonder if the Hamlin experience may have given them a new sense of perspective about playing the game and might have taken away a bit of their will to compete. There's something not right with this team.

The Jets are going to give the milf hunter a few weeks to prove he's learned something under Rodgers wing and if he hasn't I would think they'll be working the phones. Between the two headed monster at RB, Garrett Wilson making combat catches and that top 3 defense they will still have a chance to do some good things.
There is no one out there for the Jets to get so why even bother.

Flacco knows the system and can still throw, although he's a lamp post.

I think they should trade for Minshew from the Colts in a couple of weeks. He would light Broadway on fire.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the team overall. My perspective is that the problem is almost exclusively Allen right now. He obviously didn't learn anything since last season. No reason whatsoever to force those plays when the opposing quarterback is Zach Wilson. Allen directly cost Buffalo last night's game.

There is no one out there for the Jets to get so why even bother.
How about some XFL dudes?
Or CFL?

I have feeling Jet going to be alright…..now that everyone is counting them out because of Aaron Rodgers…

This reminds me of Vinny Testerverde with his ACL injury where no one touch him……so it’s gotta be the turf…….

Man, I don’t know. If this team is affected by an injured player back on the team, that’s pretty weak. No disrespect to Hamlin.

Anyone think the Jets go for a QB? Obviously they gonna go with Zach for next game and see what he’s got. Hard Knocks, ARod on Broadway, man. Over so fast.

Anyone think the Jets go for a QB? Obviously they gonna go with Zach for next game and see what he’s got. Hard Knocks, ARod on Broadway, man. Over so fast.

Minshew sounds like a no brainer to me. Hieneke would do well because he’s so mobile. Mills? Mike White again? One of the Steeler’s backups? Hell, I’d trade a 2 to get DTR there.

Minshew sounds like a no brainer to me. Hieneke would do well because he’s so mobile. Mills? Mike White again? One of the Steeler’s backups? Hell, I’d trade a 2 to get DTR there.
If the goal is to be like the Titans with Tannehill and try to sneak into the playoffs and get smoked in round one sure bring in Minshew or someone like that. I say this staff should sink or swim with Zach because the bottom line is the season ended last night and by that I mean a potential championship run ended.

Personally this Jets fan doesn't care if this team wins 3 or 8 games at the end of the day because the goal with this team in bringing in Rodgers was to compete for the Super Bowl. Without Rodgers it makes no difference who plays QB because the season is over.

Back