NFL Week 1 What Are We Learning

If the goal is to be like the Titans with Tannehill and try to sneak into the playoffs and get smoked in round one sure bring in Minshew or someone like that. I say this staff should sink or swim with Zach because the bottom line is the season ended last night and by that I mean a potential championship run ended.

Personally this Jets fan doesn't care if this team wins 3 or 8 games at the end of the day because the goal with this team in bringing in Rodgers was to compete for the Super Bowl. Without Rodgers it makes no difference who plays QB because the season is over.

With GW and Hall it wouldn’t take much to win some games with that defense. AFC seems wide open.

Atlanta is such a tough watch. They only ran 48 plays, with 13 first downs, yet won due to two Young INTs setting up TD and FG "drives" of 17 and 5 yards. Only 8 out of 48 plays involved a WR and I still don't know who their TE is because he wasn't involved at all.

B Young gets a pass this year because his WR room is horrendous.

Browns simply have Burrow's number. Not sure why but he's 1-5 now against them and a HOF candidate against everyone else. How Tee Higgins can go 0 for 8 is ponderous, man, freaking ponderous. Browns identity showed: run the ball, play tough pass D and get just enough from Deshaun. If they can stick to their identity they can make the playoffs.

Jags seemed to be playing with their food all game yet you look up at the end and they had 31 on the board. They didn't even use Kirk. They're deep and good. Richardson was balling for awhile then he took a couple of hard shots late. I snagged him as a lottery ticket in a couple of FF leagues where I didn't grab a top 7 guy. Hoping he can stay in the lineup. Jackson was brutal, 13 carries for 14 yards. Moss should be ready to go next week.

Vikings are getting their regression to the mean in close games this year. Bucs were not all that good but they got a free FG and a big turnover at the end of the half to keep Minny off the board. Neither team could run for shit.

Saints and Titans are two teams that can play pretty good D which showed in 8 FGs vs 1 TD. Saints look more dynamic with Olave and Shaheed > Hopkins and Burks, and Carr > Tannehill. Saints are IMO the best on the NFC South.

BTW, did anyone have a 3-1 NFC South on their bingo card?

Pittsburgh media needs to head to the blackboard Bart Simpson style and write "Preseason results don't matter" 100 times. A lot of embarrassment at the Three Rivers today, but they get a shot at redemption against their old whipping boy, the Browns next Monday. The Niners.....what can you say they have the total package right now. Like Dallas, I'm worried about being that buttoned up and on point so early in the season. It's a long year, can they still look this good in January? Last year they couldn't. One thing: they sure did travel and were LOUD. Steeler nation is not used to getting invaded but it's happening more frequently these days.

Dallas at Niners on SNF Week 5. NBC will start advertising that one next week.

Arizona showed a lot more fight than anyone expected. Dobbs had a dreadful 4.4 YPA. If you're playing for the #1 pick it wasn't that obvious this week. Howell is another QB who looked a lot better when the bullets were rubber in August. He should improve but who knows.

Already mentioned how rusty Lamar looked earlier in the thread. They need a replacement for Dobbins now. Question is do you go big with Taylor or the bargain bin with Fournette? They do already have Melvin Gordon so they might hold tight for a little bit. Zay Flowers looked like a real weapon. Gonna be a long season in Houston.

How about Jimmy G and the Raiders? Just about every drop back looked like disaster was going to strike, but he made the play at a 78% clip. Jacobs was bottled up all game, but better days should be ahead. Russell was not terrible but the offense has no deep threat without Jeudy, Hamler or Patrick. It showed with under 6 YPA. Perine is just a really good backup RB.
The Packers laying only 1.5 at Atlanta may be a good bet?

Atlanta is such a tough watch. They only ran 48 plays, with 13 first downs, yet won due to two Young INTs setting up TD and FG "drives" of 17 and 5 yards. Only 8 out of 48 plays involved a WR and I still don't know who their TE is because he wasn't involved at all.

B Young gets a pass this year because his WR room is horrendous.

Browns simply have Burrow's number. Not sure why but he's 1-5 now against them and a HOF candidate against everyone else. How Tee Higgins can go 0 for 8 is ponderous, man, freaking ponderous. Browns identity showed: run the ball, play tough pass D and get just enough from Deshaun. If they can stick to their identity they can make the playoffs.

Jags seemed to be playing with their food all game yet you look up at the end and they had 31 on the board. They didn't even use Kirk. They're deep and good. Richardson was balling for awhile then he took a couple of hard shots late. I snagged him as a lottery ticket in a couple of FF leagues where I didn't grab a top 7 guy. Hoping he can stay in the lineup. Jackson was brutal, 13 carries for 14 yards. Moss should be ready to go next week.

Vikings are getting their regression to the mean in close games this year. Bucs were not all that good but they got a free FG and a big turnover at the end of the half to keep Minny off the board. Neither team could run for shit.

Saints and Titans are two teams that can play pretty good D which showed in 8 FGs vs 1 TD. Saints look more dynamic with Olave and Shaheed > Hopkins and Burks, and Carr > Tannehill. Saints are IMO the best on the NFC South.

BTW, did anyone have a 3-1 NFC South on their bingo card?

Pittsburgh media needs to head to the blackboard Bart Simpson style and write "Preseason results don't matter" 100 times. A lot of embarrassment at the Three Rivers today, but they get a shot at redemption against their old whipping boy, the Browns next Monday. The Niners.....what can you say they have the total package right now. Like Dallas, I'm worried about being that buttoned up and on point so early in the season. It's a long year, can they still look this good in January? Last year they couldn't. One thing: they sure did travel and were LOUD. Steeler nation is not used to getting invaded but it's happening more frequently these days.

Dallas at Niners on SNF Week 5. NBC will start advertising that one next week.

Arizona showed a lot more fight than anyone expected. Dobbs had a dreadful 4.4 YPA. If you're playing for the #1 pick it wasn't that obvious this week. Howell is another QB who looked a lot better when the bullets were rubber in August. He should improve but who knows.

Already mentioned how rusty Lamar looked earlier in the thread. They need a replacement for Dobbins now. Question is do you go big with Taylor or the bargain bin with Fournette? They do already have Melvin Gordon so they might hold tight for a little bit. Zay Flowers looked like a real weapon. Gonna be a long season in Houston.

How about Jimmy G and the Raiders? Just about every drop back looked like disaster was going to strike, but he made the play at a 78% clip. Jacobs was bottled up all game, but better days should be ahead. Russell was not terrible but the offense has no deep threat without Jeudy, Hamler or Patrick. It showed with under 6 YPA. Perine is just a really good backup RB.
Great stuff as always. I missed most of the day action, so thanks for the report.

Its the NFC that only has a few quality teams the AFC is loaded.

Loaded but with Chiefs possibly wavering with Jones holdout, young WRs, etc. no one is elite elite. Bills, well, got beat by your Zach Wilson. AFC North will beat up on themselves.

Rodgers wasn't going to do much with that line. I expected him to be spiking the ball into the turf a couple of times a possession. Maybe ride out Wilson, but Minshew is capable of winning a couple of playoff games.

Loaded but with Chiefs possibly wavering with Jones holdout, young WRs, etc. no one is elite elite. Bills, well, got beat by your Zach Wilson. AFC North will beat up on themselves.

Rodgers wasn't going to do much with that line. I expected him to be spiking the ball into the turf a couple of times a possession. Maybe ride out Wilson, but Minshew is capable of winning a couple of playoff games.
Jones signed 1 year deal

They did try to sign Orlando Brown and obviously had no backup plan and the line is terrible.

NFC is probably only three deep (fingers crossed) in terms of Super Bowl contenders but those three are probably in the top 4 in the league. AFC has a lot of depth of quality teams but I agree with Inspekdah that they all have flaws.

Bills - they don't like to run and they can be run on. Allen decision making also becoming an issue,
Phins - they also don't like to run and they were just gashed by the Chargers. They also have very shallow depth at the skill positions.
Jets - have probably the best D in the AFC but need a competent QB to score 20 points.

Bengals - window should be wide open but these slow starts to the season are worrisome. One day the slow start becomes a season in decline.
Ravens - Lamar is learning a new offense and it didn't look great week 1. Now they've lost their top RB.
Brown - defense looked very good but Watson doesn't look much better than last year. Without Hunt their excellent RB is gone, so Chubb needs to stay healthy.
Steelers - showed they're still not ready to compete with the big boys.

Jaguars - do a lot of things well and have a favorable schedule, probably the #3 choice in the conference. Seem prone to lapses in concentration.

Chiefs - still the best in the AFC but the WR room needs to step up and Kelce cannot miss any more time.
Chargers - just got lit up by Tua & Hill. Looked like they didn't watch any film on them from last year. Staley is still their biggest problem.

The fun part is still to come. Dallas and Philly get to play all the AFC East contenders and the Niners get to play all the AFC North contenders, plus Jacksonville. The Eagles also get a rematch with KC and Dallas plays the Chargers. That's 13 big interconference matchups, NFC is currently 1-0.

Lol…I did the same thing for the early games…..

Then my smart azz saw that the games were mostly unders in the 1q or 1h…

I then RR the last 6 games of the day 1Q and 1H
Unders and went a perfecto 0-6….luckily it was beer money…..

Also went 1-3 with Jets pending…..

Gotta learn to fade myself…….
I’ve been trying to learn to fade myself for 17 years. Lol I’d be rich and retired if I learned hahaha

Back