B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Might be a good spot for...

Injuries
Surprise cuts
Anything you notice about particular teams
Anything really

The Houston Texans will start rookie C.J. Stroud at quarterback for their preseason opener against the New England Patriots on Thursday.

Head coach DeMeco Ryans told NFL Network's Jane Slater and Tom Pelissero that Stroud earned the nod over Davis Mills. He said there still haven't been any decisions regarding the starter to open the regular season.

Rushing a young quarterback onto the field before he's ready can stunt his long-term development. That would presumably be the reason why Stroud isn't leading the offense in Week 1 if that comes to pass because Mills certainly didn't look like the solution last year.

The 2021 third-round pick was the primary starter in 2022 and the results were underwhelming. He threw for 3,118 yards, 17 touchdowns and 15 interceptions in 15 appearances. His 33.1 QBR ranked 29th among qualified passers.

The Texans don't have any urgency to win right away, either. They're coming off a 3-13-1 season and didn't make a ton of impact additions. According to Over the Cap, Houston spent the 17th-highest total ($107.5 million) on the second-most players (29).

The Houston Texans will start rookie C.J. Stroud at quarterback for their preseason opener against the New England Patriots on Thursday.

Head coach DeMeco Ryans told NFL Network's Jane Slater and Tom Pelissero that Stroud earned the nod over Davis Mills. He said there still haven't been any decisions regarding the starter to open the regular season.

Rushing a young quarterback onto the field before he's ready can stunt his long-term development. That would presumably be the reason why Stroud isn't leading the offense in Week 1 if that comes to pass because Mills certainly didn't look like the solution last year.

The 2021 third-round pick was the primary starter in 2022 and the results were underwhelming. He threw for 3,118 yards, 17 touchdowns and 15 interceptions in 15 appearances. His 33.1 QBR ranked 29th among qualified passers.

The Texans don't have any urgency to win right away, either. They're coming off a 3-13-1 season and didn't make a ton of impact additions. According to Over the Cap, Houston spent the 17th-highest total ($107.5 million) on the second-most players (29).
Why could this stunt his long term development? It seems to me that starting in a preseason game is a very good thing. The guy's potential will be evaluated not only in training, but also in the game.
Hi all!

copy/paste from one of the many pieces out there.

This season we have five teams with new head coaches. Although Sean Payton is not a newcomer, he will debut with a different team. New head coaches in their first year can be challenging, but they tend to do well in their first home game in August, particularly after a defeat on the road. In the past six years, they have had a good record of 6-1 ATS, 5-2 ATS, 4-1 ATS, and 6-2 ATS in 2019. However, in 2021, this trend did not prove profitable, resulting in a losing record of 2-6 ATS. Last year, they had an average record of 5-5 ATS. Overall, these coaches have had a successful history of 28-17 (62.2%) ATS over the past six preseasons. New head coaches face a lot of pressure to excel and leave a positive impression on the owner, GM, players, and fans to prove they are the right person for the job. Winning early in the preseason is a point of emphasis, but it's important to be selective and not mindlessly support all five teams in their first home game. Here are the five NFL head coaches making their debut with a new team in the upcoming season.

Jonathan Gannon (Arizona Cardinals)

Frank Reich (Carolina Panthers)

Sean Payton (Denver Broncos)

DeMeco Ryans (Houston Texans)

Shane Steichen (Indianapolis Colts)

These press conferences are tough. Washington brings it with the Eric Bienemy thing in first place with the gold.

I just watched his presser and that’s the reason he’s not a head coach. Right there. 1st time I’ve seen him interviewed for an extended time.
Look, I like hard nosed old school guys and I loved him as a player. Still stand by my statement.

To follow, I didn’t know the Colts’ HC and honestly never heard of him. They grilled his ass about the Jonathan Taylor situation and he was like a politician

qb depth charts, courtesy of Matt Youmans

ARIZONA: Colt McCoy, Jeff Driskel, Clayton Tune, David Blough, x-Kyler Murray

ATLANTA: Desmond Ridder, Taylor Heinicke, Logan Woodside

BALTIMORE: Lamar Jackson, Tyler Huntley, Josh Johnson, Anthony Brown

BUFFALO: Josh Allen, Kyle Allen, Matt Barkley

CAROLINA: Bryce Young, Andy Dalton, Matt Corral, Jake Luton

CHICAGO: Justin Fields, PJ Walker, Nathan Peterman, Tyson Bagent

CINCINNATI: Jake Browning, Trevor Siemian, Reid Sinnett, x-Joe Burrow

CLEVELAND: Deshaun Watson, Joshua Dobbs, Dorian Thompson-Robinson, Kellen Mond

DALLAS: Dak Prescott, Cooper Rush, Will Grier

DENVER: Russell Wilson, Jarrett Stidham, Ben DiNucci

DETROIT: Jared Goff, Nate Sudfeld, Teddy Bridgewater, Adrian Martinez, x-Hendon Hooker

GREEN BAY: Jordan Love, Sean Clifford, Alex McGough

HOUSTON: CJ Stroud, Davis Mills, Case Keenum

INDIANAPOLIS: Gardner Minshew, Anthony Richardson, Sam Ehlinger

JACKSONVILLE: Trevor Lawrence, CJ Beathard, Nathan Rourke

KANSAS CITY: Patrick Mahomes, Blaine Gabbert, Shane Buechele, Chris Oladokun

LAS VEGAS: Jimmy Garoppolo, Brian Hoyer, Aidan O’Connell, Chase Garbers

L.A. CHARGERS: Justin Herbert, Easton Stick, Max Duggan

L.A. RAMS: Matthew Stafford, Stetson Bennett, Brett Rypien, Dresser Winn

MIAMI: Tua Tagovailoa, Mike White, Skylar Thompson

MINNESOTA: Kirk Cousins, Nick Mullens, Jaren Hall

NEW ENGLAND: Mac Jones, Bailey Zappe, Trace McSorley

NEW ORLEANS: Derek Carr, Jameis Winston, Jake Haener, Taysom Hill

N.Y. GIANTS: Daniel Jones, Tyrod Taylor, Tommy DeVito

N.Y. JETS: Aaron Rodgers, Zach Wilson, Tim Boyle

PHILADELPHIA: Jalen Hurts, Marcus Mariota, Tanner McKee, Ian Book

PITTSBURGH: Kenny Pickett, Mitch Trubisky, Mason Rudolph, Tanner Morgan

SAN FRANCISCO: Brock Purdy, Trey Lance, Sam Darnold, Brandon Allen

SEATTLE: Geno Smith, Drew Lock, Holton Ahlers

TAMPA BAY: Baker Mayfield, Kyle Trask, John Wolford

TENNESSEE: Ryan Tannehill, Will Levis, Malik Willis

WASHINGTON: Sam Howell, Jacoby Brissett, Jake Fromm

x-Injured and out for the preseason.

qb depth charts, courtesy of Matt Youmans

ARIZONA: Colt McCoy, Jeff Driskel, Clayton Tune, David Blough, x-Kyler Murray

ATLANTA: Desmond Ridder, Taylor Heinicke, Logan Woodside

BALTIMORE: Lamar Jackson, Tyler Huntley, Josh Johnson, Anthony Brown

BUFFALO: Josh Allen, Kyle Allen, Matt Barkley

CAROLINA: Bryce Young, Andy Dalton, Matt Corral, Jake Luton

CHICAGO: Justin Fields, PJ Walker, Nathan Peterman, Tyson Bagent

CINCINNATI: Jake Browning, Trevor Siemian, Reid Sinnett, x-Joe Burrow

CLEVELAND: Deshaun Watson, Joshua Dobbs, Dorian Thompson-Robinson, Kellen Mond

DALLAS: Dak Prescott, Cooper Rush, Will Grier

DENVER: Russell Wilson, Jarrett Stidham, Ben DiNucci

DETROIT: Jared Goff, Nate Sudfeld, Teddy Bridgewater, Adrian Martinez, x-Hendon Hooker

GREEN BAY: Jordan Love, Sean Clifford, Alex McGough

HOUSTON: CJ Stroud, Davis Mills, Case Keenum

INDIANAPOLIS: Gardner Minshew, Anthony Richardson, Sam Ehlinger

JACKSONVILLE: Trevor Lawrence, CJ Beathard, Nathan Rourke

KANSAS CITY: Patrick Mahomes, Blaine Gabbert, Shane Buechele, Chris Oladokun

LAS VEGAS: Jimmy Garoppolo, Brian Hoyer, Aidan O’Connell, Chase Garbers

L.A. CHARGERS: Justin Herbert, Easton Stick, Max Duggan

L.A. RAMS: Matthew Stafford, Stetson Bennett, Brett Rypien, Dresser Winn

MIAMI: Tua Tagovailoa, Mike White, Skylar Thompson

MINNESOTA: Kirk Cousins, Nick Mullens, Jaren Hall

NEW ENGLAND: Mac Jones, Bailey Zappe, Trace McSorley

NEW ORLEANS: Derek Carr, Jameis Winston, Jake Haener, Taysom Hill

N.Y. GIANTS: Daniel Jones, Tyrod Taylor, Tommy DeVito

N.Y. JETS: Aaron Rodgers, Zach Wilson, Tim Boyle

PHILADELPHIA: Jalen Hurts, Marcus Mariota, Tanner McKee, Ian Book

PITTSBURGH: Kenny Pickett, Mitch Trubisky, Mason Rudolph, Tanner Morgan

SAN FRANCISCO: Brock Purdy, Trey Lance, Sam Darnold, Brandon Allen

SEATTLE: Geno Smith, Drew Lock, Holton Ahlers

TAMPA BAY: Baker Mayfield, Kyle Trask, John Wolford

TENNESSEE: Ryan Tannehill, Will Levis, Malik Willis

WASHINGTON: Sam Howell, Jacoby Brissett, Jake Fromm

x-Injured and out for the preseason.
Good stuff press

Fwiw, and I know Bijan will have the workload, I still put a small wager on Gibbs Offensive Rookie of Year (+1000).
How do you think Gibbs is used? All 3 downs?

That Oline was so good after I wanna say week 10 last season, may be a week or two off, top 5 unit in pass and run block by pff

dont think most people realize how good this offense is

WR is deep

Sun god is a legit wr1
Jameson Williams might be best receiver on team by thanksgiving
Chark and Reynolds as a 3rd and 4th options?

Gibbs at RB with Montgomery backing him

Houston:

Stroud will start(no shocker there)

For future reference: All OL

Greg Little will not play for the Texans in 2023. The former second-round pick sustained a back injury, KPRC2’s Aaron Wilson tweets, that led to Houston moving him to IR.
Midway through the offseason, Houston signed Little to a one-year, $1.1M deal that came with $100K guaranteed.

Tytus Howard has a new Texans contract in place, but he will be absent from the team for an extended stretch. Houston’s starting right tackle underwent surgery on a broken hand today, per NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport

The Houston Texans suffered a serious injury on Saturday in fall camp. Houston offensive lineman D.J. Scaife was carted off the field and had to get his right leg immobilized,

The Houston Texans placed starting center Scott Quessenberry on injured reserve Friday.
Quessenberry is reportedly out for the season after sustaining a torn ACL and MCL on Thursday during training camp practice at Houston Methodist Training Center

No Mac Jones.

Don’t know enough about the ECU kid’s camp for Seattle to like a play there yet. Strongly dislike Minny Q’s.

Fwiw, and I know Bijan will have the workload, I still put a small wager on Gibbs Offensive Rookie of Year (+1000).

Gotta think Gibbs could get a ton of targets in passing game. I actually could see him w more touches than Bijan just cause falcons have a stable of rb’s, lions don’t have a whole lot that would make sense on the field over Gibbs except maybe short yardage?

Oh goody

ARLINGTON, Texas - Dallas Cowboys rookie nose tackle Mazi Smith claims to enjoy violence so much that it - and not some romantic love of the game - is what fuels him.

“I don’t even like football,” Mazi said at camp as part of the buildup to his Saturday debut in Saturday’s preseason opener, with the Jaguars in town for a 4 p.m. kickoff here at AT&T Stadium. “I like hitting people.”

He will get his chance here, even after undergoing an MRI to deal with tendinitis in his knee. … with team owner Jerry Jones putting the 6-foot-3, 323-pound rookie from Michigan at the top of the list of Cowboys he wants to “see in combat.”

It’s possible he just can’t play at this age. I liking it to a UFC fighter who has taken too much damage. Wilson looks uneasy in the pocket to me. He’s more in preservation than making plays.
He got drilled on a lot of plays on Friday night. Stat line was ok but guy had to be much more sore than you want your starter to be after week 1

It’s possible he just can’t play at this age. I liking it to a UFC fighter who has taken too much damage. Wilson looks uneasy in the pocket to me. He’s more in preservation than making plays.

I guess he has probably taken more hits than most guys his age but it seemed pretty early for a complete fall into garbage land! Let’s be real his ego was getting out of hand in Seattle and I think that why Carroll was so quick to get him shipped out, then he came to denver with the kind of elitist attitude that will quickly alienate you from the team. Im not sure we have seen a situation yet in Denver where it fair to evaluate his skills Other than maybe this past game? I could be dead wrong and he just totally washed, I’m not ready to say it yet and still kinda think him and Peyton have a solid year. He continues looking awful against starters in preseason and I’ll prob change my mind!

The way he plays the position, it certainly gets worse with age. He was always kinda scramble on the fly guy at QB.

The way he plays the position, it certainly gets worse with age. He was always kinda scramble on the fly guy at QB.

32/33 still seems pretty early to just lose it tho, doesn’t it? I don’t recall him getting hit a ton in his early years when the offense went thru Lynch and the run game.

Might be a good spot for...
Anything really
OK then I have a questions regarding NFC North:

Who will have the best Defense?

I am open to criticism (seek it), but will it be Chicago? No. Lions or Vikings? Not likely Packers - I think so

Who will have the best Offense? Maybe the real question is who has the best Offensive Line?

Fields has yet to demonstrate he's a proven passer.

The QB documentary makes you appreciate Cousins' work ethic. Cousins is still Cousins. Jefferson is great, but they'll miss Dalvin more than we know?

Lions? Likely.

Packers? Maybe.

CJ Stroud will be running for his life this year. He will get about as much supprt as David Carr did after he was drafted over 20 years ago.

Def will be on some early houston unders, I expect Ryans has the d playing solid. I don’t think much of Stroud anyways but it gonna be a massive adjustment not having all day to throw then realizing nobody ever gonna be as open they were at osu. Quicker reads and throwing guys open are skills im not sure he will ever have, he certainly doesn’t right now.

Def will be on some early houston unders, I expect Ryans has the d playing solid. I don’t think much of Stroud anyways but it gonna be a massive adjustment not having all day to throw then realizing nobody ever gonna be as open they were at osu. Quicker reads and throwing guys open are skills im not sure he will ever have, he certainly doesn’t right now.
FYI - I just took Colts +4 @ home vs Jags opening weekend. I am buying the Richardson hype. He will keep them in the game. I love Trevor (after doubting him, even a few games in last year) and Pederson combo and took them to win the division. I have a "feeling" that Colts get off to a decent start game #1 of Richardson's HOF career

FYI - I just took Colts +4 @ home vs Jags opening weekend. I am buying the Richardson hype. He will keep them in the game. I love Trevor (after doubting him, even a few games in last year) and Pederson combo and took them to win the division. I have a "feeling" that Colts get off to a decent start game #1 of Richardson's HOF career

Seems like a good bet to me, I dunno how much I buy Richardson? he gonna make a lot of mistakes I think, just watching how crazy his feet sometimes are positioned when he throws! He will def make some plays tho and they really still have a pretty solid roster. Not sure ppl remember how solid the roster is cause qb been such a colossal mess the last few years!!! I’ll prob be on them with you, they should smash the bears this weekend, fields not playing and Minshew will continue carving up backups. I’m not big on laying points in preseason but seems like the right play, after fields the bears qb room is ugly!

It be nice to see Taylor come back sometime before the end of camp, that only thing I don’t like bout colts week 1 atm. You would think the oline would play much better this year, didn’t make sense how poorly they played last season, lot of talent.

I was trying to tell where he throwing that ball from? coulda swore it looks like 10 yard line, that can’t be right?!?!? There no way he throws it that far on the move and leaving his feet?!!! If so that is freaking nuts!! Doesn’t exactly mean he can play qb but didn’t think that was even possible if he really on the opposing 10 yard line! I’m not sure many qbs could throw it that far planting properly and putting everything into it! Freakish!

I was trying to tell where he throwing that ball from? coulda swore it looks like 10 yard line, that can’t be right?!?!? There no way he throws it that far on the move and leaving his feet?!!! If so that is freaking nuts!! Doesn’t exactly mean he can play qb but didn’t think that was even possible if he really on the opposing 10 yard line! I’m not sure many qbs could throw it that far planting properly and putting everything into it! Freakish!
Technically he's at the 5. That's nuts!

Jax is so loaded compared to the rest in that division, guess I favor TEN to finish 2nd but that's only because I'd favor them in all four games against INDY and Houston.

I find it impossible to evaluate any of these somewhat mobile guys who have zero protection. Lance is raw but I’ve never seen him in a clean pocket. He gets rushed over half the time! Stroud will face the same thing. If 9ers cut Lance he will be Hurts backup and be solid. Watch!

I find it impossible to evaluate any of these somewhat mobile guys who have zero protection. Lance is raw but I’ve never seen him in a clean pocket. He gets rushed over half the time! Stroud will face the same thing. If 9ers cut Lance he will be Hurts backup and be solid. Watch!
I've heard the Vikes are interested in Lance with Cousins on the last year of his deal. Would make sense to bring him in as the backup this year and get some reps. Only thing with how much he's been getting rushed a lot of guys never bounce back from that and just end up with happy feet the rest of their careers.

Kinda starting to as well. I was super low on him. I think throwing him I. The mix early is the way. You’re 4th overall. There is going to be growing pains, but he could be good

It looks like kc might have found them another really good wr in last year 2nd round pick Rashee Rice, other than a really bad drop at beginning the game he looked pretty dang good to me. He def looks the part w the size and speed, put up nice numbers at smu. They need it cause I just don’t think they can count on Toney ever being healthy, he has the goods but dude never stays healthy. Valdez-Scantling has never been a consistent performer. Rice needs to keep working on his hands but he could have a huge year in this offense! Anyone who plays season long fantasy could do way worse than taking a late round flier on him! Could be the kind of pick that helps win a league!!

I guess baker gonna be bucs starter? I don’t really understand that, we all know what Faker is, why wouidnt you give Trask a shot? If he terrible maybe they can be so bad there a chance to get 1st or 2nd pick in draft, this is the year to tank!!

Back