NFL Playoffs SOS

skanless13

Fly, Eagles, Fly!
Does anyone have the current strength of schedule rankings for this current season? I know there are a number of pretty strong trends having to do with SOS especially in the Wild Card round.

ill just go in order of games:

raiders 13th/cincy 29th

pats 20/buf 21st (same div so basically identical)

eagles 25th/bucs 10th

san fran 14th/dal 3rd (i dunno how the hell this right considering niners play in great div and dal plays in worst? looking at who both played this seems crazy to me)

pitt 6th/kc 1st

cards 7th/rams 5th (same div again so pretty similar)

those from team rankings, i dunno how great they are, i totally disagree with niners/dal, then pit being 6th while cincy is 29th makes no sense to me either, granted cincy got to play jags and jets while steelers played buf and titans but other than those 2 games they almost identical, yes that a huge difference in those 2 games but that enough to go from 29th up to 6th? seems like a huge discrepancy for 2 games on otherwise identical schedules!!

From another sight. SOS rankings

1. Rams .567

2.Arizona .543

3.Bengals .536

4.Tampa Bay .535

5. 49ers .533

6.Raiders .528

12. Steelers .512

12.Bills .512

16. Patriots .498

22. Packers .478

24.Titans .471

30. Eagles .464

31. Cowboys .462

From another sight. SOS rankings

1. Rams .567

2.Arizona .543

3.Bengals .536

4.Tampa Bay .535

5. 49ers .533

6.Raiders .528

12. Steelers .512

12.Bills .512

16. Patriots .498

22. Packers .478

24.Titans .471

30. Eagles .464

31. Cowboys .462

This makes way more sense. I dunno how cincy is 29th and 3rd!! lol

There no way cincy can have better sos than Steelers. Steelers played top teams in spots cincy played jags and jets, rest schedule the same. So I don’t like the ones I posted or you did!! Lol

Steelers played titans and bills where Cindy played jags and jets. Those only difference I see other than of course each other twice, no way bungals so much stronger than steelers it accounts for that. I don’t agree with the gap the ones I posted between them had but I do think Steelers has to be tougher of the 2.

Damn. These things are freaking all over the place!! Lol. How the hell ya supposed to use them for any historical trends if we have 12 sets of numbers that way freaking different?!??!?

Damn. These things are freaking all over the place!! Lol. How the hell ya supposed to use them for any historical trends if we have 12 sets of numbers that way freaking different?!??!?

He initially asked for Sagarin so that's what I went with. Seems he's been around the longest and been doing this before most of these sites were even operational, so I think you can safely put more weight in his that any others.

He initially asked for Sagarin so that's what I went with. Seems he's been around the longest and been doing this before most of these sites were even operational, so I think you can safely put more weight in his that any others.

I’m glad to see them all, just crazy how different they are. I’d mostly agree more with those except as I said above it tough for me to buy pit/cincy havinv such a huge gap with only a few different opponents, even tho the few different were Steelers vs div winners while bungals played the worst!! The one with cincy ahead of pitt retarded but not sure the gap is 1 for pitt and cincy all way down in the 20s?

My main question is just which ones have been being used for these trends? Since clearly there are a ton of differing views!! I had no idea we would see such huge discrepancies, this seems like something that be fairly easy and not opinion so much to where there such big differences.

Not SOS but saw this yesterday wanted to post it somewhere...

View attachment 61189

san fran run rank being 11 has a lot to do with having so many injuries throughout the year to backs imo, with mitchell and debo running it gotta think they one the best 2-3 run teams in the league.. love seeing that 31 next to dallas run d!! man this game sets up perfect for niners me thinks!!

ill just go in order of games:

raiders 13th/cincy 29th

pats 20/buf 21st (same div so basically identical)

eagles 25th/bucs 10th

san fran 14th/dal 3rd (i dunno how the hell this right considering niners play in great div and dal plays in worst? looking at who both played this seems crazy to me)

pitt 6th/kc 1st

cards 7th/rams 5th (same div again so pretty similar)
9ers finished in last place and had a last place schedule I think is the reason.

9ers finished in last place and had a last place schedule I think is the reason.

yea, im still skeptical when looking at both. of course im real skeptical of a lot them as ive mentioned. seems like these places just randomly throw out numbers, lol

No shit I just came on here to post this same question. I see them all over the place too. One I'm looking at now is based on number of wins of opponents & has LV 1, TB 29, SF 32. This is not in line with the trend I heard on the radio today...teams who are 10 pts higher than their WC opponents are 28-6 ats since 2002. That guy was on TB & SF so no fucking clue what algorithm he is using to get SOS.

No shit I just came on here to post this same question. I see them all over the place too. One I'm looking at now is based on number of wins of opponents & has LV 1, TB 29, SF 32. This is not in line with the trend I heard on the radio today...teams who are 10 pts higher than their WC opponents are 28-6 ats since 2002. That guy was on TB & SF so no fucking clue what algorithm he is using to get SOS.

makes it really fucking tough to base any plays off it when we dunno wtf it really is!! lol

For real! I found a site with SOS that seems to be in line with what this guy on the radio was saying & based his trend & plays on. It's based on opponents' records from THIS season, which many are not. The four NFC east teams are in the basement. Www.eatdrinkandsleepfootball.com

The big fallacy I'm hearing right now is that you can't run on Tampa. That was the case last year, but they are vulnerable on the ground this year.

The big fallacy I'm hearing right now is that you can't run on Tampa. That was the case last year, but they are vulnerable on the ground this year.

I dunno, they not the stone wall they were last year but teams don’t run on them for the most part; the ypc against nothing special but yards a game and attempts best in league, nobody really tried them all that much so think it remains to be seen. When Philly played them the ypc was great but it was before eagles figured out they were a running team, that really didn’t happen till sanders got hurt the 1st time, I wanna say week 8 vs lions really when eagles figured it out.

If you recall even Indy came out throwing all over vs Bucs, teams had no interest lining up and running at them, and colts did just that to just about everyone else. I don’t think pats had 10 rush attempts all game vs pats, that what they do best! And that was in the rain also! Think it fair to say teams don’t think they can run on them.

Last edited:
So based on the SOS from the site I posted, no lower rated team beat any higher rated team during wildcard weekend. And per the trend I had heard, the teams 10 spots or more higher than their opponents covered easily with one SU dog. This weekend five of the remaining teams are in the top 5, the others are Buf 12, GB 22 & Ten 24. Gives me concerns on the GB/Ten ML parlay I already played.

we still dont freaking know as eagles forgot who they were and never really tried establishing anything between the tackles.. i think we will get our answer this week cause im pretty confident they gonna see a lot that stretch zone concept mcvey loves to run, wish i knew the answer on how well they defend it! lol

So based on the SOS from the site I posted, no lower rated team beat any higher rated team during wildcard weekend. And per the trend I had heard, the teams 10 spots or more higher than their opponents covered easily with one SU dog. This weekend five of the remaining teams are in the top 5, the others are Buf 12, GB 22 & Ten 24. Gives me concerns on the GB/Ten ML parlay I already played.

if it makes ya feel any better im pretty sure i have heard/read that it was a way stronger tool for WC weekend than the divisional round! far as titans go i dont really care they played 4 games vs the worst 2 teams, or that they lost to jets!! i care about how well they played vs the good teams they played! as gamblers we can do mental gymnastics to support our side!! lol,, i like niners tho so i will go ahead and believe this a very good sign for them!! :)

2D I heard that also, that the trends were for WC weekend. Just a very big separation with the two games today also, be very curious to see if it holds water this weekend. I will be sure to not make notes of it in the notebook I don't keep notes in, but I should start.

2D I heard that also, that the trends were for WC weekend. Just a very big separation with the two games today also, be very curious to see if it holds water this weekend. I will be sure to not make notes of it in the notebook I don't keep notes in, but I should start.

Lol. I always write stuff down in the notebook I’m currently using but then when I want to find something I just have a stack of notebooks in a box with no clue where to find! Probably should have a separate one with all that kinda stuff in it, maybe one these days I’ll go thru them all and transfer things I found important all into 1, prob not, sounds good tho!!

I just wrote down the other day that so far since these clowns expanded playoffs to a garbage 7th team that team is 0-4 with a avg margin of 13 a game.,

I’m not sure how cincy sos is so high and Steelers is 12th. Look at both of their games played side by side, almost identical cept Steelers had to play titans and bills while cincy got jags and jets! There no way that one you posted is any better than all the others that all over the place! It impossible they higher than Steelers, check them both out!!

I agree. I removed the common opponents when comparing those teams and the combined record of the remaining four teams is 26-41 for Cinci & 40-28 for Pit. I think whoever put those tallies together on that site fucked something up. I do agree with the methodology in general though. SOS based on the previous seasons performance for opponents means dick. The true test should be based on current season. Well I'm sure as shit not going to go through & recheck the remaining teams but I feel better about my Tenn bet now, haha. Good catch.

I agree. I removed the common opponents when comparing those teams and the combined record of the remaining four teams is 26-41 for Cinci & 40-28 for Pit. I think whoever put those tallies together on that site fucked something up. I do agree with the methodology in general though. SOS based on the previous seasons performance for opponents means dick. The true test should be based on current season. Well I'm sure as shit not going to go through & recheck the remaining teams but I feel better about my Tenn bet now, haha. Good catch.

Yea I didn’t check them all either, we had so many different numbers by teams I just happened to look at those 2 since they in same div it stood to reason they should be pretty similar yet had huge gap, Cincy got the benefit of playing a last place schedule so it was pretty easy to see something was wrong.

Back