NFL Coaching Changes

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Here‘s a thread at least for the non-major changes…

Jacksonville is close to hiring Buccaneers offensive coordinator Byron Leftwich as head coach and Arizona Cardinals vice president of pro scouting Adrian Wilson as their new general manager, according to Mike Jurecki, a digital content coordinator for the Cardinals’ official website.

A separate report by Chris Porter of First Coast News in Jacksonville said the process is being halted because Leftwich wants Trent Baalke, current GM of the Jaguars, out to make room for Wilson

We bout to find out if he actually developed Allen or he was just a insane talent destine for greatness. I’m assuming Gmen think he can do same for Danny dimes, I think that a whole bunch of wishful thinking but we see! I really don’t think he calls games all that great for someone who gets so much praise, imo he did kc a huge favor taking the ball out of Allen’s hands in 2nd and 3rd qrtr!!

Bears hiring Eberflusss is so uninspiring my god.

I talked bout it a ton in the “black Monday” thread. Uninspired was my exact words. Lol. I mean I think they coulda did worse than plucking gm from kc front office and a coach from Indy, I think those 2 very well run franchises so i expect they have a pretty good idea how to build a team and culture. That said I think it incredibly strange they interviewed all defensive guys when fate of franchise rest in Fields hands!! Not like bears have earned any kind of benefit the doubt either.

I do think while uninspired it could work out, he better find himself a very good oc/qb coach tho!!! Why the hell wouldn’t they even bring in a offensive guy like Doug Peterson? That what I don’t get?

I talked bout it a ton in the “black Monday” thread. Uninspired was my exact words. Lol. I mean I think they coulda did worse than plucking gm from kc front office and a coach from Indy, I think those 2 very well run franchises so i expect they have a pretty good idea how to build a team and culture. That said I think it incredibly strange they interviewed all defensive guys when fate of franchise rest in Fields hands!! Not like bears have earned any kind of benefit the doubt either.

I do think while uninspired it could work out, he better find himself a very good oc/qb coach tho!!! Why the hell wouldn’t they even bring in a offensive guy like Doug Peterson? That what I don’t get?
Hire makes no sense to me. I even think there are better DC to consider for HC, but your main objective is to develop fields. I’d have gone with an offensive minded bc and found two good oc and dc. You can argue they tried w Nagy but he just couldn’t develop a qb. Now even more important they find a genius oc and qb coach

Hire makes no sense to me. I even think there are better DC to consider for HC, but your main objective is to develop fields. I’d have gone with an offensive minded bc and found two good oc and dc. You can argue they tried w Nagy but he just couldn’t develop a qb. Now even more important they find a genius oc and qb coach

I can’t really get into it or say if there were better DC candidates, I don’t think we really know that do we? You could certainly argue there better dc’s out there but I’m not sure that necessarily qualifies them as a better HC candidate, right? Not like we in the room hearing interviews or these guys plans for being HC. I have heard he pretty well thought of and I do think he clearly coming from a place that well run so he could certainly be qualified/have a good plan and idea how to build a winning culture.

If I was bears and for some goofy reason wanted to go with a defensive guy, which clearly they did based off who they interviewed, i really don’t know why Flores wouldn’t have been a consideration? I think he woulda been a great personality fit for them and think he has proven he a more than capable HC.

Anyways that really not the main point, I don’t agree that you have to go with a offensive guy as HC, there plenty of coaches who very good who came from the defensive side the ball, I’ve heard a narrative on some shows that all the coaches left in playoffs are offensive guys this year but imo that is random and pretty silly argument, what is left is mostly great qbs and/or excellent rosters, Although the way titans played and called their game was Fuckin awful so I guess that damning to the defensive guys after Vrabel OC left to be a HC, think that biggest reason they lost. That said as we all know their fate for at least the next 3-5 years rest in the development of fields, hiring a defensive guy perfectly fine but think I rather have a established qb to do so. Now as you said, they left needing to find a oc/qb coach who is good enough to be a head coach, good luck finding that!

To me, he has a very low ceiling. He runs an antiquated defense that is bend don't break, granted a slightly tweaked version. He is not a coach that out game plans others or was ever labeled as "special". For me, you need to swing for special and not settle for "he won't make terrible mistakes". Everything about him screams mediocre and making sure things are just run well versus swing for greatness. His OC is going to be more important than him even and frankly the candidates there are just guys who generally are journeymen which is not a good recipe.

Daboll was the guy to go for end of the day. I don't buy into the narrative of he created Allen, but his offense was awesome. He designed it, he called the plays, and he got the most out of them. He is the guy you go for in the Bears position. Instead, they hired a guy who they hope just does not cause an embarrassment and puts in "order" and "structure" and "is a football guy".

McDaniels is the guy I wanted but he didn't even seem on the table and I think only will/has interviewed with the Raiders. Quinn was my second choice because of his deep ties in the league and ability to put together a good staff. Plus, while people focus on Shanahan's poor playcalling in super bowl and put it on Quinn. He was still a HC that got to the super bowl. It sounded as if he might have been the guy they wanted to hire but he pulled out so they want with uninspiring Eberfluss.

To me, he has a very low ceiling. He runs an antiquated defense that is bend don't break, granted a slightly tweaked version. He is not a coach that out game plans others or was ever labeled as "special". For me, you need to swing for special and not settle for "he won't make terrible mistakes". Everything about him screams mediocre and making sure things are just run well versus swing for greatness. His OC is going to be more important than him even and frankly the candidates there are just guys who generally are journeymen which is not a good recipe.

Daboll was the guy to go for end of the day. I don't buy into the narrative of he created Allen, but his offense was awesome. He designed it, he called the plays, and he got the most out of them. He is the guy you go for in the Bears position. Instead, they hired a guy who they hope just does not cause an embarrassment and puts in "order" and "structure" and "is a football guy".

McDaniels is the guy I wanted but he didn't even seem on the table and I think only will/has interviewed with the Raiders. Quinn was my second choice because of his deep ties in the league and ability to put together a good staff. Plus, while people focus on Shanahan's poor playcalling in super bowl and put it on Quinn. He was still a HC that got to the super bowl. It sounded as if he might have been the guy they wanted to hire but he pulled out so they want with uninspiring Eberfluss.

I hear ya. I’m not as confident he can’t be a good HC as you but understand your stance,, I’m not confident at all he was right hire either, tend to think he wasn’t. I know everyone loved the bills OC and I don’t hate his offense at all but I wasn’t a huge fan his actual play calling a lot this year, right up to the 2nd and 3rd quarters against the chiefs that left me scratching my head. That said I do think he a big loss for bills where I don’t think colts defense will be worse off without eberfluz (I’m sure I spelled that horribly wrong but whatever), that in itself doesn’t mean what either will do as head coach but it def something!! Lol.

For my money I woulda liked to see offensive guys get fucking interviews at least! That just seemed ignorant to look at all d guys I’m guessing since the last guy came from offensive side and it sure seems like teams generally look for opposite the guy they fired, kinda dumb imo, whether they succeed or not I don’t think a result of what side the ball they come from!! I think it pretty strange Doug pederson sitting out there not getting interviews! He clearly knows offense and won a fucjing SB with nick freaking Foles!! Seems like he the most qualified guy on the street and nobody talking to him? They rather have some unproven coordinators they don’t know can be HC or not?? I dunno if teams just being cheap or everyone wants to find the next new up and comer?

Obviously if you hire a defensive guy it seems unlikely he brings a great oc, unless he finds or knows a great under the radar one on the college level!!

I don’t think Quinn pulled out while he had chance to be their guy honestly. Imo that lip service from a guy who knew he wasn’t getting hired. Talking bout unfinished business in Dallas or whatever, my ass! Very few DC turning down a head coaching gig for another shot at being dc! Lol. I suppose he coulda thought he didn’t like that job and knows his d is gonna be really good next year also so he prob have more options or a shot at supplanting McCarthy!! If it had to be defense my 1st choice woulda been Flores but apparently they wernt interested in guys that have proven they can handle the big job!! Still think they retarded not interviewing any offense guys!!

I don’t think Quinn pulled out while he had chance to be their guy honestly. Imo that lip service from a guy who knew he wasn’t getting hired. Talking bout unfinished business in Dallas or whatever, my ass! Very few DC turning down a head coaching gig for another shot at being dc! Lol. I suppose he coulda thought he didn’t like that job and knows his d is gonna be really good next year also so he prob have more options or a shot at supplanting McCarthy!! If it had to be defense my 1st choice woulda been Flores but apparently they wernt interested in guys that have proven they can handle the big job!! Still think they retarded not interviewing any offense guys!!
Oh yea I like Flores too, but his reputation basically stopping him from getting a job right now

Oh yea I like Flores too, but his reputation basically stopping him from getting a job right now

that crazy to me, everything i have heard is he wanted them to draft Hebert and gm picked Tua and obviously it pissed him off, can hardly blame him, he was right!! I thought his personality woulda been a perfect fit for bears/chicago!! and at least fields a bigger stronger kid which why i heard he wanted Hebert!

that crazy to me, everything i have heard is he wanted them to draft Hebert and gm picked Tua and obviously it pissed him off, can hardly blame him, he was right!! I thought his personality woulda been a perfect fit for bears/chicago!! and at least fields a bigger stronger kid which why i heard he wanted Hebert!
More than that. Hes a micromanager, bad at collaborating, his way or highway… not someone you want to work with or pay millions to. He did well but not like they were 10+ win teams

More than that. Hes a micromanager, bad at collaborating, his way or highway… not someone you want to work with or pay millions to. He did well but not like they were 10+ win teams

i dont really think they had the talent to be a winning team every season, how many winning seasons fitzmagic have as a starting qb? lol. the oline was awful.. i dunno, i think for what they had he did very well and guys clearly play for him,, i dont have a problem with my head coach being that kind of personality really. long as he gets buy in and i think he def did.

We bout to find out if he actually developed Allen or he was just a insane talent destine for greatness. I’m assuming Gmen think he can do same for Danny dimes, I think that a whole bunch of wishful thinking but we see! I really don’t think he calls games all that great for someone who gets so much praise, imo he did kc a huge favor taking the ball out of Allen’s hands in 2nd and 3rd qrtr!!
Daboll has a long uninspiring track record before he lucked into Allen. I think much of the credit goes to Allen himself who always had the highest upside as well as Ken Dorsey who got the best out of Cam in Carolina and Allen with the Bills. Dorsey is going to be the hot candidate next offseason.

I am not overly impressed with any of these hires so far and the picthforks are going to be out in full force if Flores doesn't land one of these jobs. I like Josh McCown and can see him being a good head coach at some point but if the Texans hire him over Flores it would make no sense.

Daboll has a long uninspiring track record before he lucked into Allen. I think much of the credit goes to Allen himself who always had the highest upside as well as Ken Dorsey who got the best out of Cam in Carolina and Allen with the Bills. Dorsey is going to be the hot candidate next offseason.

i tend to agree, like i say, we really dont know, i think often times a great OC or DC doesnt necessarily mean a great HC and vice versa. really tough to tell till we see them try to perform the job, not like we can watch the interviews online, although that be pretty neat!! lol

Reactions: KJ
I am not overly impressed with any of these hires so far and the picthforks are going to be out in full force if Flores doesn't land one of these jobs. I like Josh McCown and can see him being a good head coach at some point but if the Texans hire him over Flores it would make no sense.

i think flores would be a fool to take houston job, that a terrible fit with his personality and the worst run franchise in the league imo. no good coach should take houston job, not like they destitute so hold out another year!! i guess if you want a cash grab but dont see anyone working there.. i dont understand flores not being lead canidate or doug pederson, dude won a sb with foles at qb and roasted hoody defense!! that a lot damn tougher than doing it with maybe the most talented qb in the league!

So many coordinators fail as head coaches, I find it amazing that one that has shown success with mediocre teams at best hasn't landed somewhere yet.

i dont really think they had the talent to be a winning team every season, how many winning seasons fitzmagic have as a starting qb? lol. the oline was awful.. i dunno, i think for what they had he did very well and guys clearly play for him,, i dont have a problem with my head coach being that kind of personality really. long as he gets buy in and i think he def did.
Thats you. Imagine being the organization. As a manager of people, the last thing i want to deal with is an ego maniac. We all agree we’d rather have an employee who is a solid but collaborator than great but a headache. Flores isnt special, hes very replaceable. Hes not Belichek.

He can take his my way or bust to Houston lol

Thats you. Imagine being the organization. As a manager of people, the last thing i want to deal with is an ego maniac. We all agree we’d rather have an employee who is a solid but collaborator than great but a headache. Flores isnt special, hes very replaceable. Hes not Belichek.

Where we disagree here is I’m of the belief the gm is trash and the one who screwed the situation up. Id be difficult too if I wanted Herbert and this clown drafted Tua!! I can only be so corporative when my boss is incompetent!!! I don’t see him taking houston job, those ppl really incompetent. Sit a year,, he will get a good job., he a good coach.

Maybe pederson has same issues,, I dont get why he isn’t being interviewed by everyone?

Bienemy has some old skeletons in his closet involving women iirc. I think he was banned from his alma material, colorado, for awhile.

I think he incredibly suspect and wouldn’t trust him away from Ried even tho Andy guys usually do well. It annoys me every year when race gets brought up why he can’t get HC job: I think there far more valid reasons. Leftwhich should definitely get a shot I think. He been a leader since Marshall and think he has prob earned it now.

Where we disagree here is I’m of the belief the gm is trash and the one who screwed the situation up. Id be difficult too if I wanted Herbert and this clown drafted Tua!! I can only be so corporative when my boss is incompetent!!! I don’t see him taking houston job, those ppl really incompetent. Sit a year,, he will get a good job., he a good coach.
Wasnt the gm he fought with, was the owner. It was much more about his asshole demeanor than tua v herbert.

Wasnt the gm he fought with, was the owner. It was much more about his asshole demeanor than tua v herbert.

I mean ppl can say whatever, I heard it was bout tua/Hebert quite a bit and then wanting watson cause didn’t really want Tua. Hard to say what true really, I’m sure they all have versions. Owner been there longer than him and they been total garbage so I’m not quick to think he has any clue. I’d bet money they continue being a 7-10 type team for next 5+ years. Guess they can go find someone who nice bout losing.

I mean ppl can say whatever, I heard it was bout tua/Hebert quite a bit and then wanting watson cause didn’t really want Tua. Hard to say what true really, I’m sure they all have versions. Owner been there longer than him and they been total garbage so I’m not quick to think he has any clue. I’d bet money they continue being a 7-10 type team for next 5+ years.
Think Ross wanted the GM, Flores didn't.

I'd put more toxicity in the owner/GM than Flores ffs. His players gave more effort than I expected while he was there, that's not the sign of a toxic coach. He overachieved with those bums.

Think Ross wanted the GM, Flores didn't.

I'd put more toxicity in the owner/GM than Flores ffs. His players gave more effort than I expected while he was there, that's not the sign of a toxic coach. He overachieved with those bums.

Totally agree and that what I had heard. I know dude can coach and guys play for him. I know if some incompetent twit gave me no oline and Tua over Herbert I’d be a asshole too!!

Totally agree and that what I had heard. I know dude can coach and guys play for him. I know if some incompetent twit gave me no oline and Tua over Herbert I’d be a asshole too!!
I only really know one Dolphins fan and he was pissed that they fired Flores. He's always chirping about wanting Ross and Grier both gone, hard to fire an owner without some creativity, like a massive set up, but can't stand that group.

Guy has never coached at any level higher than high school

That organization makes dumpster fires look good, what a shit show

Nothing to do with flores, just on hiring a coach with zero coaching experience

It's the equivalent of McDonald's taking a below average fry cook for 20 years and making him CEO

I only really know one Dolphins fan and he was pissed that they fired Flores. He's always chirping about wanting Ross and Grier both gone, hard to fire an owner without some creativity, like a massive set up, but can't stand that group.

Imagine Miami had they drafted Hebert instead. They be part of the talk with cincy, bills, kc. They prob be better than cincy considering that d w Herbert putting up some points. But Flores is the Ass hole? Don’t seem like it to me!!

While I do think Flores deserves another chance I question how good of a coach he is when he has hired who he has as offensive coordinator. Still looking at the hires so 'far its hard to believe he won't get another shot unless his personality is that toxic.

While I do think Flores deserves another chance I question how good of a coach he is when he has hired who he has as offensive coordinator. Still looking at the hires so 'far its hard to believe he won't get another shot unless his personality is that toxic.

That is Fair. I didn’t understand the 2 oc thing at all last year.

I know the Jaguars are the ones who are being criticized but who the hell is Byron Leftwich to demand picking the GM.

It tough to argue w that but if I have done well enough at my current job to be considered a top candidate for a job there only 32 of I think I would be smart enough not to go into the new situation not liking or respecting who my boss is. I think it says quite a bit of good about him to have the balls to do such a thing knowing it might get him passed over but knowing long run better than the damage your rep will take if you are HC of a team with incompetent gm, look what happened to Flores, bet he wished he woulda made sure the gm wasn’t a nitwit right bout now!!

It tough to argue w that but if I have done well enough at my current job to be considered a top candidate for a job there only 32 of I think I would be smart enough not to go into the new situation not liking or respecting who my boss is. I think it says quite a bit of good about him to have the balls to do such a thing knowing it might get him passed over but knowing long run better than the damage your rep will take if you are HC of a team with incompetent gm, look what happened to Flores, bet he wished he woulda made sure the gm wasn’t a nitwit right bout now!!
A potential first time head coach is not in a position to make demands on who his boss will be.

A potential first time head coach is not in a position to make demands on who his boss will be.

I disagree. I think jags are well within their right to laugh and move on, that perfectly fine but I still believe in and respect his decision cause there no way if he fails he getting another chance like say Adam Gase, so he better to wait till he finds a situation he thinks he can win! He good enough to be offered one these jobs he good enough to not sabotage himself in what likely be only shot he gets! Desperate ppl take jobs they know odds against them cause boss a clown.

I would never take a job where I know the boss is incompetent. Act like I should just be grateful and get stuck in a spot I have no chance cause the moron in charge of building my team a boob like the twit in Miami who sabotaged Flores!!

I would never take a job where I know the boss is incompetent. Act like I should just be grateful and get stuck in a spot I have no chance cause the moron in charge of building my team a boob like the twit in Miami who sabotaged Flores!!
He made the decision to not take the job and thats fine but he's not in a position to pick the GM. If he doesn't like or trust Baalke thats fine but he's never getting a head coaching job if he insists on picking his own GM.

He made it pretty clear he doesn't want the job if that GM were going to be there. Why would he? He's perfectly fine being a coordinator around people he likes as opposed to some crazy notion that HC of the Jags is worth throwing that down the tubes. Not like he won't have ample opportunities to go elsewhere down the road.

He made the decision to not take the job and thats fine but he's not in a position to pick the GM. If he doesn't like or trust Baalke thats fine but he's never getting a head coaching job if he insists on picking his own GM.

Again disagree. If they want me enough and I believe in my abilities why not throw it out there? They can laugh or maybe look real hard and realize im trying to save them. Either way I rather let my position be known, how others decide to feel about it not in my control. Feels to me like he a grown ass man cause that what grown folks should do imo. I try to only be around ppl who I don’t have to guess how they feel bout shit, I’m not good at that and know nobody could guess where I stand or feel bout something so I make it known.

Its his decision to make and I understand if he doesn't want to work for Baalke but if I owned a team I am not giving a first time head coach the job of choosing his own GM. These job offers don't come around that often and Leftwich is taking a chance that he will have other opportunities. He should probably bail now before he has to coach an offense without Brady and if the Tampa offense sputters next season he isn't getting any offers next offseason.

Back