NFC Divisional Round: Cowboys vs 49ers Discussion Thread

Right, so I also looked at teams playing on short rest in their third straight away game. There have been four of them in the database, including the Ravens/Colts game you mentioned. The thing that stood out was that they all went well under the total, by 21 (Ravens @ Colts 2009), 11.5 (Steelers @ Bengals 2015), 30 (Ravens @ Bills two years ago), and 24 points (Niners at Packers last year). That's under by an average of 21.6 points.

The Giants are also playing on short rest in a third straight road game
Here’s 1 to add from 1989 playoffs. Rams at Philly, Rams at Giants, Rams at 9ers. This was after being at Pats last game of the regular season. All playoff games went under the total.

Won 73mm on stros
I know he's done well with bases, don't they always correlate with the promotions he runs in the Summer?

Wonder if this one is a hedge...obviously the 70+ milly had a lot more going on that just some promo...never have seen him on something outside of Houston

Ref assignments/trends - probably a handicapping tool we should use more - especially when betting only a few games

From Action Network

Bill Vinovich

Underdogs are 11-5 ATS in Vinovich games this season, making him the most profitable ref for underdogs this year. Since 2018, dogs are 50-32-1 ATS (61%) in his games.
In the last decade, road teams are 83-64-3 ATS (56.5%) in Vinovich games.
Vinovich hasn’t been a good sign for the 49ers. They’ve lost three in a row SU and four of their last five, including the 2020 Super Bowl vs. Tampa Bay.
In the last decade, Vinovich games are 89-62-1 (58.9%) to the under, making a $100 bettor $2,159 (14.2% ROI). The under is 62-37 (62.6%) since 2017 (21.1% ROI).
Vinovich has called the fewest total penalties this season (134; 8.38 per game).
Vinovich has only thrown 175 flags, also the fewest of any official.
The most penalized player in terms of flags in the NFL? Tyron Smith with 14 flags on the OL of the Cowboys (tied with Eagles OL Landon Dickerson).

Most Defensive Penalties Committed This Season
T-1. Dolphins, Broncos — 50
3. Cowboys — 47
4. Bills — 44
T-5. Giants, Saints — 42

Most Called Penalties in 2022 by Bill Vinovich

Offensive Holding: 28 (3rd-fewest)
False Start: 27 (2nd-fewest)
Defensive Offsides: 12 (2nd-most)
Defensive Pass Interference: 8 (T-fewest of 17 units; 13.5 is avg)

Link for penalties/ref

One of the joys of WC weekend was the lack of referee involvement for the most part and the ability of the defensive backs to have some minor contact without the bail out call of defensive holding, illegal contact or PI. It can never be perfect but it was the best officiated weekend of the season that I saw.

Just came to my mind from reading your good info there.

DALLAS WINS, YOU WIN

Congratulations to the football team from Dallas on their big win against Tampa Bay, and congratulations to our great Gallery Furniture customers who participated in the first Dallas Wins, You Win promotion and got their Yellowstone furniture FREE!

Gallery Furniture and Mattress Mack are doing it all again with the next DALLAS WINS, YOU WIN promotion starting January 17, 2023! To participate, purchase a mattress set from Gallery Furniture priced at $3,000 or more, including Tempur-Pedic, Sealy and Stearns & Foster. If the team from Dallas beats the team from San Francisco on Sunday, January 22, 2023, your qualifying purchase is FREE!

Plus, we’ll deliver FREE to your Houston Area home within hours! This is a very limited time offer! Hurry into any Gallery Furniture showroom TODAY to make your purchase of $3,000 or more and have the chance to get it all for FREE FREE FREE!

The Dallas TT is set at 21. By my count, Dallas has gone over this team total 11 out of 12 games that Dak has started this season. The loan failure was week 18 in a basically meaningless game against Washington.

The Dallas TT is set at 21. By my count, Dallas has gone over this team total 11 out of 12 games that Dak has started this season. The loan failure was week 18 in a basically meaningless game against Washington.
and i think 3 teams all year went over this against the niners. And Cowboys only played I think 1 top 10 defense in Eagles. 1 game they put up a ton of points v. Minsehw, the other they got shut down but that may have been with Rush

It was with Rush. The counter argument to that is look at the offenses that San Francisco has played. Pretty weak.

9 of SF’s games were vs teams that were in the bottom 11 of the league in pts scored this season. The only two teams they played who were in the top 10 were KC (#1) and Seattle (#10). Dallas is #4.

Has anybody thought how the kicking xp/fgs may affect the outcome here? Makes me hesitant unless I like SF

Has anybody thought how the kicking xp/fgs may affect the outcome here? Makes me hesitant unless I like SF

I think it could be a huge impact, not just in the fact that who freaking knows if he can make them? but maybe more importantly does Dak press In scoring range even more than normal not trusting the kicker? That where the turnovers come imo, I think they will have a really tough time driving the entire field and punching in tds with short and intermediate stuff to CD and Shultz, they gonna have to hit a few big ones on the outside to Gallup maybe TY I think, that where niners d most vulnerable. I have no doubt Dak will be able to move ball but I think the turnovers likely to come back if he forced to drive the field w 10-12 play drives against this d.

It was with Rush. The counter argument to that is look at the offenses that San Francisco has played. Pretty weak.
Exactly, I sort of look at it all and think junk in, junk out. Cowboys and Niners each had bottom 5 strength of schedules. Not sure how much stock to put in that

Exactly, I sort of look at it all and think junk in, junk out. Cowboys and Niners each had bottom 5 strength of schedules. Not sure how much stock to put in that

I kinda look at them and think how different is niners d from last year squad who pretty much dominated Dallas for 3/4 of that game?

One of the joys of WC weekend was the lack of referee involvement for the most part and the ability of the defensive backs to have some minor contact without the bail out call of defensive holding, illegal contact or PI. It can never be perfect but it was the best officiated weekend of the season that I saw.

Just came to my mind from reading your good info there.
I Love ref stats in all sports

Thing to remember is he has a different crew for the playoffs like all refs do and all of those penalties are called by someone else on his normal crew except the occasional holding or false start

Love letting them play this time of season

I Love ref stats in all sports

Thing to remember is he has a different crew for the playoffs like all refs do and all of those penalties are called by someone else on his normal crew except the occasional holding or false start

Love letting them play this time of season

Nfl doesn’t keep normal reg season crews together in playoffs right? They piece them together? I dunno if that the right way to go about it or not but so far this year I dont think there been any playoff result drastically effected by officiating, we don’t have any threads bitching bout them, that always a good sign!

• Haha
Reactions: KJ
Nfl doesn’t keep normal reg season crews together in playoffs right? They piece them together? I dunno if that the right way to go about it or not but so far this year I dont think there been any playoff result drastically effected by officiating, we don’t have any threads bitching bout them, that always a good sign!
Yeah they all mix 'n match...why holding, false start, offsides and PI can't be compared to his normal regular season crew. Roughing can be though and maybe a hint of holding.

Back