• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

Nebraska v Texas Discussion

SHSUHorn said:
orangelover, Nebraska had probably one of the worst called offensive gameplan I've seen in years vs USC. Zac Taylor was on fire going into that game and Callahan repeatedly kept trying to run the ball east/west. They were still trying to run even when they were down. A team that loses by 18 points doesn't have 36 rush attempt with a 2.6 ypc avg and only 16 pass attempts. Why the hell did they keep running the ball when they were a) down the whole game b) couldn't run the ball for shit?

Horrible, horrible play calling. It was so bad even Pete Carrol in his press conference said he was shocked they keep trying to run the ball.

If he calls the same game they will get killed by Texas but I doubt he does cause he'll get booed off the field in Lincoln.

Also know that Nebraska fan hates and I mean hates everything their has to do with Texas. They blame UT for their sudden demise from the national rankings. When the Big 12 was formed UT would not join the league if the conference didn't raise their academic standards. Nebraska back in the day got alot of its "speed" and "skill" positions from partial qualifiers. Basically players that can't get in anywhere else and usually have to go to JUCO. A huge advantage for the Huskers during their heydey. Texas basically bullied the rest of the teams and basically said they will not join the Big 12 unless teams were limited to only 1 partial qualifier not a ton like Nebraska was used to getting. The majority vote was 11-1 with you know who as the one vote.

Also the Big 12 office was moved to Dallas from KC which Texas pushed for, and Nebraska didn't want a big 12 title game and Texas did for money. Ironically it was Texas in the first ever 1996 game that pulled off the shocker over Nebraska (James Brown 4th and 2 rollout). Add in to it Texas breaking Nebraska home winning streak, Texas is 5-1 vs Nebraska since the Big 12 started, Texas knocking them out of either 2-3 MNC games etc, etc....

To sum it up Lincoln should be very, very loud come Saturday.

Nebraska has more academic All Americans than anyone, so let's not act like we're recrutiting a bunch of thug idiots up here. A partial qualifier by definition is either someone who was smart enough to do fairly well on the SAT or ACT or someone who at least had halfway decent grades.

In regards to the USC gameplan, if it was so bad then why does Pete Carroll say that it has been the model for other USC opponents this year who have all played fairly close games with the Trojans?

Also, saying we blame UT for our downfall is just plain silly. I have never heard any NU fan make this claim. We blame Frank Solich for our demise.

As much as I hate to disagree with a fellow orangeblood here, I have to side with our cornhusker fan. If Nebraska hated us so much, then why did they deliver a standing ovation to Ricky Williams after he torched them all game. I am sure that they do not enjoy us coming to town, but I would imagine that it is for a different reason.

I had never heard any of that stuff concerning NU. If true, or even partially true, it is very interesting. This thread among many others is why I am now addicted to this site.

SHSUHorn is right. I have a few acquaintances here in Houston that are big Husker fans. It is not a rivalry and hate like OU has for the Horns, but they definitely dislike the fact that the Horns joined "their" conference and changed all of the rules, like partial qualifiers. These 2 guys really do blame the Horns for the fall of the Huskers. I always get a kick out of it and flame the fires constantly, especially this week.

As for the game, I don't think there is much more to add that hasn't already been brought up. I think the Huskers have a very difficult time running the ball. If they don't adjust quickly and go to the pass, this one gets ugly. I can see a 2 touchdown victory for the Horns and I really want to lay big on this one. But...and this is a BIG BUT...Colt is still a Redshirt Freshman and this is his first major road test. He, IMO, is the wildcard in this game. If he can handle the big game atmosphere and doesn't pull a Rex Grossman, the Horns roll.

citing the source is helpful when declaring someone is or isn't playing....

but as soon as you know something, please post it.

This could be some very important news regarding this game...

Its only Tuesday but right now weather forecasts call for a very windy night. If this is so then this could affect both the spread and the total. If Nebraska can't pass the ball due to the weather they are doomed in this game. This could also result in a lower scoring game than expected.

On the other hand, the Huskers passing game is based on short routes so a heavy wind may not affect this too much. Forecast could easily change between now and then but something to keep an eye on.

Muletime said:
SHSUHorn is right. I have a few acquaintances here in Houston that are big Husker fans. It is not a rivalry and hate like OU has for the Horns, but they definitely dislike the fact that the Horns joined "their" conference and changed all of the rules, like partial qualifiers. These 2 guys really do blame the Horns for the fall of the Huskers. I always get a kick out of it and flame the fires constantly, especially this week.

As for the game, I don't think there is much more to add that hasn't already been brought up. I think the Huskers have a very difficult time running the ball. If they don't adjust quickly and go to the pass, this one gets ugly. I can see a 2 touchdown victory for the Horns and I really want to lay big on this one. But...and this is a BIG BUT...Colt is still a Redshirt Freshman and this is his first major road test. He, IMO, is the wildcard in this game. If he can handle the big game atmosphere and doesn't pull a Rex Grossman, the Horns roll.

Maybe husker fans living in TX feel this way, but the majority of us do not. Yes, we think how Texas got their way on Big 12 rules was total BS. Yes, we think Texas fans in general are a fairly arrogant bunch. Yes, our fans chanted Heisman at Ricky Williams. No, we do not think TX caused our fall from the top of the mountain. Our losses to Texas were all of our own doing - 96, 98, and 99. We look at ourselves, not Texas.

RJ already said this already but its in the Austin newspaper this morning that Brown and Griffing will be playing. Its official, I'm on Texas covering a TD. This news is a big deal and I think UT wins by at least 10 points now.

Played Nebraska plus 7 on Sunday, but

more of a "numbers" play. Had the game lined at a lower number and just took the "value."

As far as the side in this one, both teams have questions IMO.

Colt McCoy _ as aptly pointed out in this thread _ has never played a college football game in the opponent's home stadium. His six TD passes against Baylor last week were quite misleading _ at least one was a prayer and some of the others were more a result of the receiver's efforts than the quarterback's.

On the flip side, who has Nebraska defeated over the course of the past two seasons? The only victory of "note" came in the bowl game last year against a "disinterested" Michigan team (I LOVED that game!!).

I know you're getting in front of a train when you bet a Texas game to go UNDER, but that's my heavy lean at this point in the week.

Good luck,
Paul

Yes Duane Akina the secondary coach said both will be starting. The play is the under and Texas. The forecast is calling for a cold, rainy, windy day and Nebraska will probably be running the ball. They won't have success.

Technically we have 4. And half of those OU championships were under Switzer when there was rampant cheating, no institutional control, and their athletes terrorized the campus. The toothless Sooners can be proud of that all they want. But thanks for posting that I guess?

Texas has had two games this year where we were the away team. Rice and OU. Rice was basically all UT fans at Reliant and of course OU is half and half. So yes its the first "true road game" for Texas. I assume you're asking this question in terms of Colt McCoy. Well, I'd say UT-OU was a pretty good warmup as far as a hostile atmosphere.

cubsker, their are plenty of Husker fans on their message boards that have made plenty of comments toward Texas. I'm sure not all Nebraska fans blame Texas but most probably agree joining the Big 12 has killed their program. The Big 8 though needed all of the Texas schools or else they would've had a horrible TV contract since there market was very small. Texas was going to go to the PAC 10 I believe if it didn't get its way and they would've taken A&M with them.

Texas was the big bad bully in most of the negotiations when usually Nebraska was the bully when it came to the Big 8. The great walkon program that Nebraska had was due to the state of Nebraska giving a non athletic scholarship to one student from every county to attend Nebraska. Majority of those schollies were given to football players would then "walkon" to the team. So that was a good way to get around the 85 schollie limit since their are 93 counties in the state of Nebraska. Why do you think we would always here about the great walk ons from Nebraska? Majority of these players were partial qualifiers as well so the rule Texas pushed of only allowing one partial was huge toward the program.

I'm sure plenty blame Solich but the simple fact is Osbourne had some players on the team that noone else could or wanted to take afraid of academic casualties. Once those players started to graduate when Solich took over the program went into its decline plus Solich was not a good coach.

Academic standards was issue one, the championship game was issue two, the Big 12 headquarters location was issue three, and the fact that the Big 12commisionerwas the old SWC commish. UT pushed hard for all four while Nebraska pushed the other way and lost on all counts.

I'm not saying Nebraska is a team full of idiots and I do have a couple of guys I know who graduated from there and are sharp guys. Hell you know I love chatting it up with you and most Nebraska fans are cool as hell to talk football with so I'm not knocking the school or all the players but it is a fact that a couple of key guys on those teams were partials or nonqualifiers.

I think Callahan is a great hire and I hope Nebraska returns to the top because its good for the Big 12 to have a solid team out of the north.

rjurewitz said:
Can you tell me what the difference is between a fake and a true road game?

Well a true road game is playing at another teams stadium. A so-called fake road game would be playing on a neutral field where your opponent is listed as the home team.

Would you consider the New Orleans Saints last year in week 2 playing a the Meadowlands in this discussion. Saints were the home team that nite but playing in the Meadowlands vs the Giants...

This year Rice and Okl were both neutral fields. I would think actually playing at Oklahoma would be abit tougher....

Thats my description

albyman32 said:
Texas has had two games this year where we were the away team. Rice and OU. Rice was basically all UT fans at Reliant and of course OU is half and half. So yes its the first "true road game" for Texas. I assume you're asking this question in terms of Colt McCoy. Well, I'd say UT-OU was a pretty good warmup as far as a hostile atmosphere.

I am glad someone here can figure out my points. Thats exactly what I was talking about. As you said UT and OU is 50/50 wont be this weekend.

McCoy's numbers were mediocre -- 11-of-18 for 108 yards, plus 11 more rushing -- but his poise was off the charts. He overcame an awful second quarter and never turned the ball over.

So if the UT defense is soft again would some UT backers be concerned? While OU was a test this is probably the true test...just food for thought suprised I didnt see anyone mention it previously...

GL

SHSUHorn said:
cubsker, their are plenty of Husker fans on their message boards that have made plenty of comments toward Texas. I'm sure not all Nebraska fans blame Texas but most probably agree joining the Big 12 has killed their program. The Big 8 though needed all of the Texas schools or else they would've had a horrible TV contract since there market was very small. Texas was going to go to the PAC 10 I believe if it didn't get its way and they would've taken A&M with them.

Texas was the big bad bully in most of the negotiations when usually Nebraska was the bully when it came to the Big 8. The great walkon program that Nebraska had was due to the state of Nebraska giving a non athletic scholarship to one student from every county to attend Nebraska. Majority of those schollies were given to football players would then "walkon" to the team. So that was a good way to get around the 85 schollie limit since their are 93 counties in the state of Nebraska. Why do you think we would always here about the great walk ons from Nebraska? Majority of these players were partial qualifiers as well so the rule Texas pushed of only allowing one partial was huge toward the program.

I'm sure plenty blame Solich but the simple fact is Osbourne had some players on the team that noone else could or wanted to take afraid of academic casualties. Once those players started to graduate when Solich took over the program went into its decline plus Solich was not a good coach.

Academic standards was issue one, the championship game was issue two, the Big 12 headquarters location was issue three, and the fact that the Big 12commisionerwas the old SWC commish. UT pushed hard for all four while Nebraska pushed the other way and lost on all counts.

I'm not saying Nebraska is a team full of idiots and I do have a couple of guys I know who graduated from there and are sharp guys. Hell you know I love chatting it up with you and most Nebraska fans are cool as hell to talk football with so I'm not knocking the school or all the players but it is a fact that a couple of key guys on those teams were partials or nonqualifiers.

I think Callahan is a great hire and I hope Nebraska returns to the top because its good for the Big 12 to have a solid team out of the north.

Horn, no offense bro, but you have no clue what the fuck you are talking about. County scholarships, that's the oldest one in the book. I didn't even read the rest of your post after this.

Back