NCAA Week Three

SHSUHorn

Thief
NCAA 2008 18-4 +56.40

Starting things off with what I feel is the best play on the board. More to come tomorrow as I finish my write-ups.

FRIDAY

Kansas @ South Florida –4 (6 UNITS)

Kansas had the perfect season last year. They had a Big 12 schedule that didn’t have Texas, Texas Tech or OU, the #1 turnover margin in the country, the best defense in the Big 12, and an offense that could beat you on the ground or through the air.

With the new season come some pretty important losses to the team. They return 9 on defense but lose last year’s mastermind DC Bill Young to Miami.

Many forget that before last season KU had the worst pass defense in the country. While it looks good that the numbers improved in the Big 12 last season they didn’t have to face Bradford, Harrell, or Mccoy.

Looking at the schedule last season only Mizzu’s Chase Daniel posed a real threat to the pass defense. All Daniel did in the game was go 40-49 for 361 yards and 3 TDs with Kansas having its best player in the secondary Aqib Talib.

On offense Kansas struggled in the spring and it struggled last week in the first half vs La Tech. QB Todd Reesing is a stud and will be fine through the air despite losing his only +1000 yard WR Marcus Henry, and the schools career record holding TE Derrick Fine to the NFL draft.

The issue has been the ground attack this season and replacing +1000 yard rusher Brandon Mcanderson. Kansas has had 69 rushing attempts in its first two games vs La. Tech and FIU and only averaged 3.7 ypc.

Kansas has rotated 3 backs this season and going into this game are now hanging their hopes on Angus Quigley. Quigley who had 17 carries last year, has bounced in and out of Mangino’s doghouse, was given the shot last week at halftime after Sharp and Crawford couldn’t get it done.

I don’t expect USF to put up 500 yards through the air but it will move the ball against this defense with QB Matt Grothe.

While last weeks game went into OT vs UCF it was clear that USF dominated the game (504 yards to 206). UCF got two big fumbles and a KR for a TD and trailed 24-10 with less than 3 minutes to go before the improbable comeback. Try not to look too hard at the box score there.

This matchup is probably the next best game on the schedule after USC vs tOSU. It’s a nationally televised game so the homefield advantage will be huge for USF.

With Grothe and 10 starters returning on offense from a squad that avg 35 ppg last season, facing a Kansas team that hasn’t been tested in the secondary and still trying to find a running game…how do you not side with USF in front of its fired up crowd?

SMU +37 @ Texas Tech (3 UNITS)

Texas Tech may score 50 points here but SMU will be in the 20s or 30s under June Jones. Texas Tech’s defense gave up 24 to EWU and a ton of yards through the air, and gave up a ton of yards to Nevada’s offense but didn’t break holding them to 4 FGs.

Texas Tech has struggled for the second week in a row before pulling away late in the game. Harrell has looked off for the last two weeks. My Red Raider buddy told me he’s been staring down his receivers, over throwing the ball, and basically looks pretty damn bad right now.

With teams focusing on Crabtree, someone needs to step up now that Danny Amendola is on the Dallas Cowboys. The TT WRs dropped 6 footballs vs Nevada last week. I’m just not sold on what Tech has behind Crabtree at WR.

This is probably a game June Jones circled on his calendar. If SMU is going to get a jumpstart in recruiting in the state a good showing vs the second best team in the state will help.

I don’t expect this game to be close but almost giving up close to 40 points to an offensive coach that knows how to score in bunches has me jumping on SMU here. I see a 55-28 type game here.

Oregon –6.5 @ Purdue (4 UNITS)

Following Purdue and Joe Tiller you can always bank on one thing every year…Purdue will beat the teams its supposed to and lose to the teams they aren’t suppose to beat.

The Purdue offense will be fine despite a lot of nagging injuries along the o-line this offseason. The issue is the defense hasn’t been very good the past three seasons so Purdue may have to win a shootout here.

Not going to happen with an Oregon team whose offense looks fantastic after two games (100 points). Washington might not be as bad as Oregon made them look after their performance vs BYU and Oregon smoked them. They also smoked them with starting QB Justin Roper leaving the game with a concussion.

Yes it was Utah St. but having 400+ rushing yards for 7.7 ypc with your stud RB Jermiah Johnson going down on the first play is impressive. While it looked bad on the sidelines initial reports suggest Johnson just popped his shoulder out of joint, with trainers able to pop it back in shortly after the senior tailback left the field; Oregon's coaching staff nevertheless elected to keep Johnson on the sidelines as a precautionary measure. Johnson is expected to play.

Oregon covers this game in a shootout.

Air Force VS Houston –2 in Dallas (6 UNITS)

One of my favorite plays on the board. I like the coaching staff in place with former OU assistant Kevin Sumlin and his hire of brining in Dana Holgerson as the OC. Holgerson has been the TT OC the past three seasons, coached with Leach at Valdosta St. in 93, and played WR for Leach at Iowa Wesleyen.

Those strong ties will make you think you are watching Texas Tech play when the offense is on the field. The Cougs put up huge numbers on offense vs Okie St. and Case Keenum has been fantastic early on.

Not buying the hype on Air Force just yet because Wyoming fuckin sucks and I will never bet them again (they have accounted for two of my four losses this year). Houston will not be 2-13 on third down conversions like Wyoming.

Air Force lost to many veteran playmakers on offense and the defense lost three All-Conference performers. They’ve been running like crazy in its first two games but if it gets behind early against a fast strike offense it could spell trouble. Shea Smith hasn’t proven he can throw. They are going to have to eventually have some kind of passing attack in this game and I just don’t see them keeping up with the UH offense.

Ohio St. @ USC –9 (5 UNITS)

Before all you line Germans go crazy go get an account at bookmaker and get the same lines as the rest of us early birds at 5pm on Sundays (be happy I’m not posting my future play bet of USC –5.5). Back to my point…which is whether you have 9 or 10.5 its not going to matter cause USC is going to spank the Buckeyes.

USC gets a bye to prepare for a home game while tOSU battles for its life vs Ohio. Whether Beanie Wells plays or not he still won’t be 100% and he still has to run and get hit by that nasty defense.

Yes Virginia showed that they suck this past week but the execution you wanted to see out of Sanchez and the offense was there. As much as I can’t stand them USC looked incredible everywhere.

USC has loss 5 regular games in 5 years under Pete Carroll. Four of those five losses have been to teams that weren’t even ranked and double-digit underdogs. The loss to Oregon last year the Trojans had the backup QB in only making his third start (Sanchez).

In other words outside of the Texas game USC has shown up big in big games especially OOC games.

Arizona –10 @ New Mexico (5 UNITS)

Zona was suppose to always field a great defensive team with Stoops at the helm but the offense has been fantastic early on. Stoops brought in Sonny Dykes (another Leach disciple) to run a wide open spread offense. The team improved from 16ppg to 28ppg.

The team now returns 10 starters and while many expected Tuitama to put up huge numbers in the passing game its been the early rushing numbers by Nic Grisby that have raised eyebrows. If Zona can continue to have a strong running attack they will do some damage in PAC 10 play.

I watched majority of the Texas A&M @ New Mexico game on youtube.umm...I mean Versus Network where the feed looked like it was coming from Kazakastan. A&M was awful and lost its two best players on offense early in the game in QB McGee and RB Goodson and still won quite easily. New Mexico’s QB was one of the most inaccurate college QBs I’ve ever seen.

Maybe it was a bad day for the Lobos but I have no fuckin idea how they are going to stay within 10 points here based on what I saw.

North Texas @ LSU –42.5 (5 UNITS)

I don’t care if they play this game in Baton Rouge, Texas Stadium, American Airlines Arena, or Rangers Ballpark in Arlington…LSU is going to roll these guys. LSU had last week’s game cancelled and now that Hurricane Ike looks like its heading to South Texas they can concentrate on football.

UNT has gotten murdered by the big teams it’s faced under Dodge. They got killed by 69 from OU, by 59 from Arkansas, and by 41 from KSU this year. Giovanni Vizzi is the QB, not sure if he should be playing on the UNT soccer team with that name, but he sure looked like it vs KSU. He was dreadful

LSU 59-3.

Cal –13 @ Maryland (3 UNITS)

A game that has me scratching my head. Cal should be favored more so what gives? Will the cross-country flight and 9am Pacific Time get to the Bears?

Then I come to my senses and realize Maryland lost to Middle TN St., and if it was a fluke loss why did they shit the bed only beating Delaware 14-7 in week one?

The defense was carved up by the spread offense last week by not getting any pressure at all and missing tackles. Cal’s offense is going to put up huge numbers after beating WSU 66-3. Best has been great behind tremendous OL play and leading the way of a Bear offense that has had some already a couple of long explosive TD plays.

Maryland QB Turner was awful in place of the injured Stiffy and the Terps may go with Florida transfer Josh Portis. I don’t care what changes Freigden is thinking of doing from his Sunday press conference after his worst loss in school history…the bottom line is Maryland won’t score enough points on offense to make this game close.

Iowa St. +11.5 @ Iowa (3 UNITS)

Isn’t this game always close no matter who has the better team? This rivalry doesn’t seem big to the rest of the country but your talking about a state that has no other pro teams to root for. This is their big in-state game also in terms of recruiting even though both teams aren’t in the same conference.

Arkansas @ Texas –23.5 (2 UNITS)

Okay I say take the points in the rivalry game above but don’t here? I’ve been reading many Texas fans worried about this game saying the Piggies will be playing lights out cause of the rivalry and hatred they have for Texas.

To my generation this rivalry doesn’t exactly fire me up along the lines of OU and A&M. Sure I was pissed when Matt Jones ran all over Texas in 2003 but still this team doesn’t play each other every year or have recruiting wars over Texas kids like it did in the SWC days.

The people that will be the most fired up are the older generation that makes up most of the fans in the stands. The game is in Austin and the edge will go to Texas who’s new stadium renovations will show up when Arkansas has the ball. Some of the players on the field were one year old when Arkansas left the SWC.

This line is too low based on how shitty Arkansas has looked this year rivalry game or not. They have struggled mightily in both games. In the opener they were down to Western Illinois 24-14 in the 4th before the comeback. In the game vs UL Monroe they were down 24-6 in the second half.

My Longhorn buddies have scared me into making this a big play because they somehow think F. Jones and D. Mcfadden will suit up but the points don’t add up looking at the match-ups and the emotion is not going to push this to a close game. I’m probably going to kick myself that I didn’t put more on this game.

Rice @ Vanderbilt –7 (5 UNITS)

What is wrong with this line? Rice was down 35-20 with 6 minutes late before pulling the comeback over Memphis. Memphis did what it wanted on offense for most of the game and Vanderbilt will too.

Vanderbilt after so many close calls last year finally pulls off the big upset against a very stout SC defense. The defense has been terrific this year and while Rice will get some points it won’t be able to match up to a stronger, faster, better-coached SEC team.

TODD REESING UNDER 30.5 PASS COMPLETIONS (4 UNITS) (-135)

In all 13 games Reesing started last year he did not complete more then 30 passes in a game. Yes he's done it in both games this year but the key to Kansas in this game will be running the ball. I expect them to try and establish the run game vs USF because the OT's are both freshman and will be facing arguably the top DE in the country tonight.

**ADDING**

Three game of year lines for Week 4

Wake Forest +6.5 @ FSU (3 UNITS)
Florida @ Tennessee +9 (3 UNITS)
Notre Dame @ Michigan St. -6 (5 UNITS)

Last edited:
Great job horn so far . Absolutely agree .....jumped off the page ..

As did the fact KU ran 88 plays in its 1st game and didnt crack 400 yds total offense. I think the lack of running game showed in a diferent form this past week . That being in the red zone believe they settled for 3 short FGs under 30yds and had a TOD as well . They had 2 scores with starting field position on there opponents 40 . Even game 1 Reesing 52 pass attempts only avged bout 5 yds per attempt...

BOL on this as well:cheers:

For some reason i like baylor....have any thoughts?

Is it because WASH ST has been pathetic so far and is road chalk? The game vs CAL total embarrasment butI tend to wonder they made WSU road chalk here . Seems to obvious on the surface . Its about 10 pts cheaper then WAKE FOREST was and we know the gap is much wider bewteen WSU and WFU....

My initial take but didnt research...BOL :cheers:

For some reason i like baylor....have any thoughts?

I'm staying away from it. Griffin has looked good for Baylor at QB but then you have to always remember...your going to bet and cheer for Baylor.

It's really hard to do and watch. Trust me.

Horn..agree with your analysis of the KU/USF game. KU has yet to establish any sort of ground game in the first two games. A lot has to do with starting two redshirt freshmen on the o-line. If I had to pull the trigger now, I would agree with your play. Good luck this week.

also, i got the USF line at 4 like you yesterday. I do want to double up my bet but I am waiting on line movement. Do you have any guess on where this thing is going to end up. Is hoping for 3 a stretch?

great write up bro..I was leaning KU becasue the b12 is tearing everything apart..but your spot on.

Yeah I hit this line when it first opened like I do most of my plays. I thought USF would be the team everyone jumped on but I guess I was wrong.

SHSU, Kansas has dominated in two games, whereas USF just struggled in OT with a bad UCF team. Probably why the line is where it is. I'm going to check with my Kansas guy, but I would probably view this as a keep away game.

Mangino is smart and I'm pretty confident that they haven't put much out there against FIU and LT. Mangino knows that this game is the one that everyone is watching to see if KU is real and he'll be ready. I'm staying away, but will add more thoughts once I talk to my Kansas guy.
I like Baylor +2.5, as they at least showed something against a VERY good Wake team. Up until they had a TO, they had a chance to make that game VERY close. After another week, Griffin is gaining confidence, and the team is gaining confidence IN him, which is huge. I think he is the spark and will most likely take the Baylor ML.

I am not waiting for 3...I bought it to 3 and am happy with the 120 juice...

Also jumped on Rutgers at the 4.5 (bought to 4)

Horn great job so far bro...keep up the good work

SHSU, Kansas has dominated in two games, whereas USF just struggled in OT with a bad UCF team. Probably why the line is where it is. I'm going to check with my Kansas guy, but I would probably view this as a keep away game.

Mangino is smart and I'm pretty confident that they haven't put much out there against FIU and LT. Mangino knows that this game is the one that everyone is watching to see if KU is real and he'll be ready. I'm staying away, but will add more thoughts once I talk to my Kansas guy.
I like Baylor +2.5, as they at least showed something against a VERY good Wake team. Up until they had a TO, they had a chance to make that game VERY close. After another week, Griffin is gaining confidence, and the team is gaining confidence IN him, which is huge. I think he is the spark and will most likely take the Baylor ML.

The fact that they haven't beaten Texas in 50 years and since the Big 12 was formed have lost by an avg of 31 ppg to the Horns maybe its the Longhorn blood in me that keeps doubting Kansas.

The running game just hasn't been there and the homefield advantage is going to be huge for USF. Kansas is playing freshman at both OT spots and they have struggled somewhat. Not sure how they are going to block USF DE George Selvie. Selvie was a first team All-American last year as a sophmore and is arguably the best DE in the country.

Grothe outside of Daniels is the best QB this team has seen this year or all of last year. The team lost Talib early to the pros and then this summer Mangino kicked Jr. CB Anthony Webb leaving the depth at corner very shaky for the Jayhawks going into the season.

Last week starting Sr. CB Kendrick Harper was taken off in a stretcher with a head injury. The next two players on the depth chart for KU are freshman.

Not good for this secondary.

I know you've got some good connections so let me know what your Kansas guy says about the running game, the OL, and and what are they going to do in the secondary with Harper out.

with you on So. Fla Horn. This KU team doesn't look as good on either side of the ball as last year's. I still think they're a solid team who can win 8 games, but SF is a top 15 team at home.

I will preface this by telling you I am a KU homer but will give a Kansas perspective that you haven't heard yet.
The Big Man is known for keeping everything under wraps until needed. The first two weeks mean nothing as far as the running game is concerned as we ran only two diff. sets involving the running game. I have followed this team for 30 years and have seen where we are today. Mangino relishes the role of no national respect. His teams are not as talented as others but nobody is more ready to play week in and week out.
This team will be extremely disciplined and very sound on there responsibilities..The defense is better than last year. Talib was great but high risk-reward. Harper is out of hosp with no apparent injury.
Kansas special teams are alot better this year especially on punt returns. The right guard's family are clients of mine and I usually know what is going on in Lawrence. This is a very confident team with a chip on their shoulder.. SHSUHORN I enjoy your posts and this team can not wait for your Horns to come to town. BOL to all and any questions on Kansas let me know.

I would like that SMU play if not for the fact that Leach might be looking to send a message against a lame defense after their porous start to the year. I have no doubt that the little Ponies can put up 28 on that shitty D, but will he call off the dogs at 50? 60? We shall see.

Good luck this week, shithead.

I would like that SMU play if not for the fact that Leach might be looking to send a message against a lame defense after their porous start to the year. I have no doubt that the little Ponies can put up 28 on that shitty D, but will he call off the dogs at 50? 60? We shall see.

Good luck this week, shithead.

I had to double check to make sure I wasn't in one of STEED's threads...

Alright Horn, thanks man. Already looking at several of these (SF, SMU, USC, Cal and TX) and will certainly look into the others. Keep up the great work bro, plays/thoughts/etc always appreciated around here!

Got thoughts back from KU.

Called it a no-play all the way. Said the team isn't even trying to run the ball. Defenses are stacking against the run, so KU's response has been "Ok, then we'll pass for 400 on you." Which they have done. The injury to Dexton Fields has not slowed the offense as true frosh Daymond Patterson filled in nicely against LT and is an excellent return man.

He didn't know where to go with the line. He has a lot of questions about the team, but that's not necessarily bad. As I mentioned earlier, Mangino plays VERY close to the vest (did you see the story about planting trees around the practice field???).

If forced to take a team, I'd probably lean to USF at this point. The running game is a question mark, but only because KU hasn't tried to establish it. Who knows if they can against USF. I'll ask about the OL, but FIU and LT are not going to give a good indication compared to Selvie and the USF attack.
I'll go on record that I've been a big KU believer all spring and summer. I think they are legit and, W or L, they should be able to give the B12 all they want, and then some. Expect KU to play a big role in deciding the N and S champ in conference.

BTW, thoughts on Cent Mich -3????

I personally see this as HUGE overraction from Ohio putting tOSU on the ropes and CMU getting bitch slapped in Athens.

But, neither of those games are true indicators of the two teams. CMU played and got experience. They never played to win. They played a top 5 team and every MAC team will seem like they are running in mud comparatively. In fact, LeFevour had a tight leash around him in Athens preventing him from running free (why get your QB killed in a game you'll lose, when your goal is to win the MAC?).

As for Ohio, the Buckeyes had all eyes on the Trojans and this was Ohio's Super Bowl. AND! They only were in the game because of some freak plays. Once the half hit, tOSU went in to freak out mode, so the players were tight. Once Ohio muffed that punt and tOSU recovered, the team settled, confident they'd pull it out, and put the hammer to the Bobcats.

Hey 'horn, great start to the season as usual; really warming up to that Houston play. Wasn't that impressed with AF last week...they didn't really have to do anything to win.

Won't be fading you as I think I'll just be watching but it seems tough give the Buckeyes this many points. I don't see USC running the ball much on Saturday, leaving the game in Sanchez's hands...we'll see what he's got.

BTW, thoughts on Cent Mich -3????

I personally see this as HUGE overraction from Ohio putting tOSU on the ropes and CMU getting bitch slapped in Athens.

But, neither of those games are true indicators of the two teams. CMU played and got experience. They never played to win. They played a top 5 team and every MAC team will seem like they are running in mud comparatively. In fact, LeFevour had a tight leash around him in Athens preventing him from running free (why get your QB killed in a game you'll lose, when your goal is to win the MAC?).

As for Ohio, the Buckeyes had all eyes on the Trojans and this was Ohio's Super Bowl. AND! They only were in the game because of some freak plays. Once the half hit, tOSU went in to freak out mode, so the players were tight. Once Ohio muffed that punt and tOSU recovered, the team settled, confident they'd pull it out, and put the hammer to the Bobcats.

Not sure about Ohio. Wyoming was suppose to be better before the season and Ohio hung with them week one. Wyoming though looks like garbage after week two so not sure if that was impressive.

Also like you said above was tOSU looking ahead and playing vanilla? Probably so. I need to see Ohio one more week before I can get a guage on them.

If I was playing the game I would definitely lean your way.

GL I'm on two of your three plays already.

Horn--

CB, Jump, and I are on CMU and Jump should have it as one of his bigger plays. Since he's in Athens, I tend to trust him that he knows his local boys.

I also took a look at this trend:

Lefevour is 18-6-1 ATS in conference.

Air Force @ Houston –4.5 (5 UNITS)

One of my favorite plays on the board. I like the coaching staff in place with former OU assistant Kevin Sumlin and his hire of brining in Dana Holgerson as the OC. Holgerson has been the TT OC the past three seasons, coached with Leach at Valdosta St. in 93, and played WR for Leach at Iowa Wesleyen.

Those strong ties will make you think you are watching Texas Tech play when the offense is on the field. The Cougs put up huge numbers on offense vs Okie St. and Case Keenum has been fantastic early on.

Not buying the hype on Air Force just yet because Wyoming fuckin sucks and I will never bet them again (they have accounted for two of my four losses this year). Houston will not be 2-13 on third down conversions like Wyoming.

Air Force lost to many veteran playmakers on offense and the defense lost three All-Conference performers. They’ve been running like crazy in its first two games but if it gets behind early against a fast strike offense it could spell trouble. Shea Smith hasn’t proven he can throw. They are going to have to eventually have some kind of passing attack in this game and I just don’t see them keeping up with the UH offense.

Something that I've been thinking about involving Dana Holgersen.

Texas Tech's offense has been struggling this season (saw it personally in Reno) and the biggest missing piece from the last few years? Holgersen. In fact, his abscence is even more important because Holgersen was in the box, seeing the whole field.

Now, he's at Houston, which is why the offense is moving so smoothly. Between Kevin Sumlin and Holgersen, the Houston offense is going to be steamrolling people.

The running yards that Oklahoma State put on Houston is a concern, but AF won't be able to hang in a 40-50 point game, which is exactly where Sumgersen is going to take this game.

Love it!
Rice @ Vanderbilt –7 (5 UNITS)

What is wrong with this line? Rice was down 35-20 with 6 minutes late before pulling the comeback over Memphis. Memphis did what it wanted on offense for most of the game and Vanderbilt will too.

Vanderbilt after so many close calls last year finally pulls off the big upset against a very stout SC defense. The defense has been terrific this year and while Rice will get some points it won’t be able to match up to a stronger, faster, better-coached SEC team.

Leaning to Vandy but, living in Nashville, I've seen how Vandy handles success. And they typically like to celebrate with a big helping of humiliation against a lesser opponent. Not sure I'll take it, although I might jump on at the last minute on Saturday. Maybe it dips below 7?

Great job last week horn. Wondering if you had any thoughts on the NC-Rutgers game? I think the line here is overhyped on Rutgers, NC can be very solid on defense, and they return alot of their starters who were young and in the learning stage last year.

GOOD LUCK THIS WEEK!:cheers:

Great job last week horn. Wondering if you had any thoughts on the NC-Rutgers game? I think the line here is overhyped on Rutgers, NC can be very solid on defense, and they return alot of their starters who were young and in the learning stage last year.

GOOD LUCK THIS WEEK!:cheers:

I'm going to play UNC for a small play so I have some action on the T.V game. Rutgers really looked loss on offense without Ray Rice against a good Fresno St. squad.

UNC loss eight games last years and six of them were by a TD or less. Four of those losses were vs bowl teams.

I like them getting 4.5 in this spot.

Horn,

Looks like Texas will be delayed but I haven't heard if the Cougs are going forward. Any word there in Houston about how nasty this is going to be on Saturday?

they prob wont know about Ike till mid thursday as to exactly where it is heading. if it goes to galveston/houston, they will cancel the game, but if it goes south, we should be a go. all hs games in galveston were moved to thursday night because of the storm.

like the card Horn, BOL

they prob wont know about Ike till mid thursday as to exactly where it is heading. if it goes to galveston/houston, they will cancel the game, but if it goes south, we should be a go. all hs games in galveston were moved to thursday night because of the storm.

like the card Horn, BOL

Are you staying or leaving htown? I think its suppose to hit landfal
l around 2am friday. I'm gonna try not to get to drunk at Bond that night.

Back