NCAA Week Eight

SHSUHorn

Thief
NCAA 2008 YTD 46-28 +58.50 UNITS

Oh my god I finally got the laptop back today. Jesus I think not having internet at home is worst then not having cable. All plays were hit Monday...

More write-ups to come...

BYU @ TCU +1.5 (3 UNITS)

TCU not getting much love from oddsmakers despite having one of the best defenses in the country and that this game is being played in Ft. Worth. A blowout loss to OU and the box score not looking good vs Colorado St. because of the horrible weather conditions may have a lot to do with it.

BYU hasn’t seen anything close to the defense TCU will field tonight as the Horned Frogs actually did a better job knocking Bradford around then Texas. BYU won’t have all day to sit in the pocket and pick this defense apart like it has everyone else on their schedule.

Miami –5.5 @ Duke (4 UNITS)

I know times are a changing but this number is still too low for a much more athletic and stronger Hurricane team. Miami has struggled on offense particularly the passing game. RB Graig Cooper has been the only real threat on offense and it’ll help Miami’s offense that Cooper will be going up against a Blue Devil defense that has given up a ton of yardage on the ground already.

The game will be won by Miami’s stout defense. GT blanked Duke 27-0 and shut the offense out because the Blue Devils are a one-dimensional football team on offense. Duke ranks 95th in the country in running so expect Miami’s defense that ranks 16th nationally against the run, 20th in the country in overall defense, and 17th in the nation in TFLs to pin its ears back and go after the QB.

I know many are picking the upset here for the Devils but Miami will have too much on defense for them to handle.

Missouri @ Texas –6.5 (6 UNITS)

This game will be decided in the trenches much like it was in last week’s RRS. The Texas players were telling the coaching staff in the locker room that they could see the OU players getting tired and worn down so they kept hammering away and rotating fresh bodies on the DL.

DT Roy Miller has been fantastic in the middle of the defense and DE Brian Orakpo might be playing the best football of any DE in the country right now as he abused supposed first round OT Phil Loadholt. Missouri does not having anything close to OU’s line and Okie St. provided the blueprint to slow down the Mizzu defense and that is pop Chase Daniels in the mouth. Texas knocked down Bradford 13 times in the game and let me repeat…Missouri does not have the OL that the Sooners have.

Oklahoma St. doesn’t have near the pass rush Texas has and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Daniel knocked out of this game by either Orakpo or Kindle from the edge. He took some brutal, uncontested, free shots from the Okie St. defenders.

Those looking for a letdown because of this game might want to look at the numbers that win or loss (Texas is 4-6 vs OU under Brown), Texas has won the game after OU the last 10 seasons under Brown.

On offense McCoy looks fantastic and that’s do to the play of his OL. A former OL of his showed me a text from McCoy last year about just not being comfortable in the pocket and having happy feet. This led to him having no confidence in his guys up front and made him bail on the pocket to soon or force the throw.

Not an issue this year as the two deep of Texas up front might be the best in the country. McCoy with time is as deadly a QB you’ll find in football and I just don’t see Mizzu getting that kind of pressure (see Okie St. and Illini games).

You will also see for the first time the Longhorns having a true home field advantage when the defense takes the field thanks to the stadium renovations. With an enclosed stadium trying to mimic the experience an offense might face in The Shoe (a player that played in that game told me it was absolutely deafening and the most intimidated by a crowd he’d ever felt) when they played Ohio St. in 2005.

I expect the crowd to really play a factor in this game which is something you really don’t see in Austin despite the great record at home.

Dr. Bob doesn’t have the formula that I use for my capping:

Texas DL >>>> Mizzu OL
Texas OL>>>>>>Mizzu DL
= Texas wins by more then 10

Texas Tech –20.5 @ Texas A&M (4 UNITS)

Am I the only one on this board winning money every week betting against A&M? A&M has allowed 40 points or more in three of the last four games because the DL is just downright awful. They haven’t been able to get any pressure so Graham Harrell is going to have a field day.

Texas Tech has always had a hard-on for A&M trying to become the second best team in the state for some time now. Since Leach has gotten to TT he’s embarrassed A&M time and time again. I see no difference here as TT crushes A&M even in College Station. Mike Sherman and veteran DC Joe Kines have never seen the kind of offense that’ll be thrown at them Saturday.

Kansas +19 @ Oklahoma (3 UNITS)

OU's defense looked alot different when MLB Ryan Reynolds went out of the game. Much like Colt McCoy, Todd Reesing is another one of the country’s most efficient passers. He could have a field day vs the middle of the OU defense.

With Reynolds out the Sooners tried to rely on Brandon Crow and he looked absolutely loss. It’s coming out of Sooner camp that talented RS frosh Austin Box will switch over to the “mike” position that Reynolds handled. Box is indeed talented but will he be able to read the game, and be a general on the field which is so integral playing MLB in just one week’s worth of practice?

Kansas St. @ Colorado –3 (4 UNITS)

CU has won 26 of the 31 meetings in Boulder. The Buffs are coming off two straight losses by ranked opponents and life will be much easier vs a KSU defense that has been awful so far in the season. The defense has 6 new players and they’ve been more then disappointing as a unit. KSU’s defense has given up 38, 37, 58 and 30 points, and 577, 509, 626 and 544 yards in the last four games.

While CU’s offense isn’t anything spectacular either it’s about on par with A&M’s. A&M shredded the KSU secondary and you’d have to expect Hawkins to have a lot more success then he’s had the last two weeks facing Texas and Kansas’ defense.

Going with the home team vs a terrible defense.

Baylor +19 @ Oklahoma St. (3 UNITS)

I’m going with the letdown theory here because a) Oklahoma St. is coming off one of the biggest wins in school history, b) they are ranked #8 a spot they have never been (2nd time in school history they are 6-0), and c) Baylor has been typically the worst team in the Big 12 since its inception.

Baylor arguably is having one of its best seasons in about 20 years. Art Briles is the coach A&M should’ve hired this past offseason and he’s already done wonders to QB Robert Griffin’s play. Briles offense are known for protecting the ball and that’ll be important if it wants to stay in the same ballpark of the explosive Okie St. attack.

With this game sandwiched in-between Mizzu and next week’s HUGE game in Austin vs Texas I would definitely play the let down card here.

Houston –12.5 @ SMU (4 UNITS)

SMU has lost 16 straight games to FBS schools. Houston has the 4th best offense in the country and will be facing the worst defense in the country. With not much of a homefield advantage for the Mustangs there is no way their passing attack will keep up with the Cougars.

BOL this week fellas!

:cheers:

Last edited:
TCU has shut out opponents in the 4th qtr this season.. Expect another low scoring 2nd half from BYU.

Another note...TCU before tonight, had 10 interceptions from their great defense and already picked BYU. More to come as BYU wont be able to run to try to get back init, which they wont.

2nd half bets from me likely as well.

good line horn on tha game wit u also. gl tha rest of tha weeks games, hopefully we wont be against each other

Had TCU today , agree with Miami especially at the lower number . We can just see how they struggled vs solid defenses like Northwestern , UVA (score very misleading) and GaTech , you deserve a monument for your forward thinking on how bad A&M is .

The rest mostly disagree with ...If Texas wins thinks its a close one by 3 or 4 pts . Just the situational aspect of Texas of a tough game and now the hunted rather the hunter . As no one really gave texas a fair chance to beat Oklahoma . WHile Missouri off a tough loss where Okie State just kept making plays and putting the pressure on Missouri to do so.

The OU defense is a concern but what concerns me is seeing how weak KU was lined hosting CU and while backing KU wasnt impressed with there play in that game or Iowa State or USF . Also CU was fresh off being blasted as 2 TD home dogs vs texas and only caught 2 TDs @ KU. With OU of a loss I think the line is about right remember OU was -18.5 vs TCU . Expect OUs offense to explode 49-28 ? OH wins by enough to cover the number but probably not much more ....

No real opinion on teh COL game but you have also nailed how bad Kansas State is so I should be listening to you I believe .....

Houston as chalk scares me they have been down big to UAB , AF and CSU by halftime . Might fade them 1st H and ride them 2nd H . If UAB can hold a halftime lead maybe SMU can if they score some .

I am not sure about Okie State either . I think the line is short but absolutely agree with the situational aspect . Was hoping Okie St was beat down near -14 but probably just stay away for now......

BOL :cheers:

Had TCU today , agree with Miami especially at the lower number . We can just see how they struggled vs solid defenses like Northwestern , UVA (score very misleading) and GaTech , you deserve a monument for your forward thinking on how bad A&M is .

The rest mostly disagree with ...If Texas wins thinks its a close one by 3 or 4 pts . Just the situational aspect of Texas of a tough game and now the hunted rather the hunter . As no one really gave texas a fair chance to beat Oklahoma . WHile Missouri off a tough loss where Okie State just kept making plays and putting the pressure on Missouri to do so.

The OU defense is a concern but what concerns me is seeing how weak KU was lined hosting CU and while backing KU wasnt impressed with there play in that game or Iowa State or USF . Also CU was fresh off being blasted as 2 TD home dogs vs texas and only caught 2 TDs @ KU. With OU of a loss I think the line is about right remember OU was -18.5 vs TCU . Expect OUs offense to explode 49-28 ? OH wins by enough to cover the number but probably not much more ....

No real opinion on teh COL game but you have also nailed how bad Kansas State is so I should be listening to you I believe .....

Houston as chalk scares me they have been down big to UAB , AF and CSU by halftime . Might fade them 1st H and ride them 2nd H . If UAB can hold a halftime lead maybe SMU can if they score some .

I am not sure about Okie State either . I think the line is short but absolutely agree with the situational aspect . Was hoping Okie St was beat down near -14 but probably just stay away for now......

BOL :cheers:

Good stuff as always. I would've thought the same of Texas if the players didn't have a chip on their shoulder. Not many were evn selected ofr the preseason Big 12 list and many had the Horns third in the South behind TT.

They should be plenty motivated to keep pushing on for a magical season.

btw...with the U down to -3, i've been thinking of adding them. good to see someone else likes them...as i had GT exposing Duke earlier as well.

Good luck horn. And if your laptop fucks up again, we'll get some guys from CTG to pitch in to get you a new one so we can get your picks.

you're up 5,800 bucks

you're part owner of a night club

buy a fuckin' computer

:cheers:

Okie State played pourus in trap game two weeks ago, after Troy before Mizzou. Okie can cover if they bring their A game.

Agree on Texas, Mizzou and Okie can't win without the run, see TT as knocking them in Lubbock like last year vs. Sooners.

Duke can't run, but they play good rush D as well and Miami rush not great. I see 80-70 Miami rush edge not much. Thadeus Lewis with legs is type of qb giving Miami problems. Duke can throw it better.

Love the Colorado play.

so glad you are on miami,texas,col and baylor like em all myself and had to wait for you on those b12 picks if i lean and you play i play em big and win i will likely tail the other plays too but the 4 i liosted i love myself bol this weekend

Why is the line in the Colorado game so low? Shouldn't they be favored by 6 or 7?

The OL play has been horrid for them. They have three guys starting on the OL due to season ending injuries. Hawkins ahsn't had much time to throw.

Typically I stay away from teams with this shitty of an OL but A&M has just about as bad an OL and they were able to protect their QB and had one of their best offensive performances on the year.

CU is coming off two blowout losses but they were against solid ranks opponents (Texas and Kansas) so that might have alot to factor in this line as oddsmakers know the public loves to look at only last week's box score.

Loved TCU last night. haven't been on the boards, but I hit the ML on that. Should have hit it when it was +3 and not +1.5 on the line.

Love Texas this week. Chase Daniel sees 2x the amount of pressure he saw from Oklahoma State and a faster secondary. Texas' young secondary may make mistakes, but they are faster than anything Daniel has seen. Some for the DL and LBs. Just like last week, Daniel had success throwing the ball, but made costly turnovers. This makes 2 weeks in a row.

I think K-St wins tomorrow, because they'll be able to outscore Colorado. But, I didn't like it enough to bet on it, so I just took K-St team over 28.5. Their lowest point total is 28 vs Tech and they only scored 28 because Prince changed the offense to a slow crawl to eat clock and keep Tech from scoring 30 more points.

I'm not touching the others. I think OU routes Kansas with a MUCH faster offense than Kansas can keep up with. But, Reesing is a gamer and could backdoor this bitch easily.

I also am staying away from Tech/A&M. The games in CS are a lot different than in Lubbock. And A&M has learned how to score, albeit not consistently. I think A&M can hit 31 points against Tech. At 52 for Tech, you'd cover. But the line is at 23 now.

I'm on GT -3 and UConn -2.5, but haven't written them up yet. Also already on Texas.

I like your style. TCU was a thing of beauty last night.

Also, glad you are out of my city and back to that rat infested swamp...:money2:

Just got word that LB Sergio Kindle the teams second best pass rusher when Texas let's him put his hand down and rush the passer will be mostly playing the opposite DE spot of Orakpo to get as much pressure as possible on Daniel.

This is great, great news for Texas backers.

Back