NBA FINALS - Dallas @ Boston Gm. 1

Stew Baker

Pretty much a regular
Before this year's WCF, the Jason Kidd-led Mavericks, since Kidd took over in 2021-22, had lost 5 straight series openers SU (14.4 pts. avg. margin of loss) and gone 0-5 ATS (-9.5 margin of cover) in those games. They then faced the Wolves in the WCF opener, in a spot I felt was a letdown spot for the Wolves (having just bested the reigning champion Nuggets in their series), and the Mavs broke the shneid. Now they face a Boston team which I feel will be highly focused in GM. 1, perhaps more focused in this opener than Dallas. Dallas may be a little full of themselves, as this group of Mavs just won their their first WCF, whereas Boston was expected to be, and fully expected themselves to be in the finals. As a consequence of this, I'm looking for Dallas to return to their prior opening game futility here.

Even so, I feel that 6 points (assuming it drops to that) even is a tad much to lay for a full game wager here, so I'm looking elsewhere for betting alternatives.

Let's look at how the two teams have done early in games in series openers this postseason. There's quite a dichotomy here between the Mavs and the Celts. In the 1st qtr. the Mavs have been quite bad in this year's postseason series openers (including the WCF Opener), going 0-2-1 SU (avg. margin of loss 6 pts) and 1-2 ATS (avg. margin of cover -5.2 pts). The Celts, on the other hand have certainly been adequate in these spots. 1st qtr. record in 2024 postseason openers 3-0 SU (avg. margin of win 4.7 pts), 2-1 ATS (avg. margin of cover 0.5 pts); this despite having an extended layoff prior to each of those games (6, 5, and 5 days, respectively) which would typically cause teams to be out of step early in games. I don't know how the Celts do it, but they do it! The Mavs, in contrast, in the one series opener when they had any kind of layoff prior (6 days, same layoff they have here), they faced the Clippers. who had the same rust disadvantage, and the Mavs lost the 1st quarter by 12!

In the 1st halves of these games, the Mavs are 0-3 SU (avg. margin of loss 12.7 pts) and 0-3 ATS (avg. margin of cover -11.5 pts). Celts in the 1st half of series openers this postseason 2-0-1 SU (avg. margin of win 8.3 pts); 2-1 ATS (avg. margin of cover 1.0 pts).

(Note as an aside: The Mavs have done well in the second halves of these games).

Going with the trends and the numbers here.

The plays:

0.8 units Celts 1st qtr. -2 -113

0.8 units Celts 1st hf. -3 1/2 -115

Explanation of betting units: My normal bet is 1 unit. However, I want to throttle the total risk amount when making 2 separate straight bets which are correlated to an extent, as is the case here.

Last edited:
Update: Not in love with these bets if Porzingis starts. Biggest concern is that Celts won't be as well synchronized. If KP starts, I figure he'll be getting al least 6 min. in the 1st qtr., which could be an issue If Horford starts, and they use KP as they see fit, I think it'll be ok. If KP in the confirmed starting lineup, I'm thinking of buying off my bets. Off the top of my head, I think its 60/40 that he does start (which I think would be a mistake). Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ
Update: Not in love with these bets if Porzingis starts. Biggest concern is that Celts won't be as well synchronized. If KP starts, I figure he'll be getting al least 6 min. in the 1st qtr., which could be an issue If Horford starts, and they use KP as they see fit, I think it'll be ok. If KP in the confirmed starting lineup, I'm thinking of buying off my bets. Off the top of my head, I think its 60/40 that he does start (which I think would be a mistake). Thoughts?
I completely understand this angle.

Tough to mess with cohesion built with KP out.

I'll chat more here once I finish prepping dinner.

Again, love the thread.

Interested in seeing how they Play KP too.

He should Help I think. Another scorer and a BIG.

Interested in seeing how they Play KP too.

He should Help I think. Another scorer and a BIG.
Sure, he definitely helps but integrating him back after 5-6 weeks isn't the easier task.

I'd most definitely bring him off the bench for the series. No reason to mess with chemistry.

Before this year's WCF, the Jason Kidd-led Mavericks, since Kidd took over in 2021-22, had lost 5 straight series openers SU (14.4 pts. avg. margin of loss) and gone 0-5 ATS (-9.5 margin of cover) in those games. They then faced the Wolves in the WCF opener, in a spot I felt was a letdown spot for the Wolves (having just bested the reigning champion Nuggets in their series), and the Mavs broke the shneid. Now they face a Boston team which I feel will be highly focused in GM. 1, perhaps more focused in this opener than Dallas. Dallas may be a little full of themselves, as this group of Mavs just won their their first WCF, whereas Boston was expected to be, and fully expected themselves to be in the finals. As a consequence of this, I'm looking for Dallas to return to their prior opening game futility here.

Even so, I feel that 6 points (assuming it drops to that) even is a tad much to lay for a full game wager here, so I'm looking elsewhere for betting alternatives.

Let's look at how the two teams have done early in games in series openers this postseason. There's quite a dichotomy here between the Mavs and the Celts. In the 1st qtr. the Mavs have been quite bad in this year's postseason series openers (including the WCF Opener), going 0-2-1 SU (avg. margin of loss 6 pts) and 1-2 ATS (avg. margin of cover -5.2 pts). The Celts, on the other hand have certainly been adequate in these spots. 1st qtr. record in 2024 postseason openers 3-0 SU (avg. margin of win 4.7 pts), 2-1 ATS (avg. margin of cover 0.5 pts); this despite having an extended layoff prior to each of those games (6, 5, and 5 days, respectively) which would typically cause teams to be out of step early in games. I don't know how the Celts do it, but they do it! The Mavs, in contrast, in the one series opener when they had any kind of layoff prior (6 days, same layoff they have here), they faced the Clippers. who had the same rust disadvantage, and the Mavs lost the 1st quarter by 12!

In the 1st halves of these games, the Mavs are 0-3 SU (avg. margin of loss 12.7 pts) and 0-3 ATS (avg. margin of cover -11.5 pts). Celts in the 1st half of series openers this postseason 2-0-1 SU (avg. margin of win 8.3 pts); 2-1 ATS (avg. margin of cover 1.0 pts).

(Note as an aside: The Mavs have done well in the second halves of these games).

Going with the trends and the numbers here.

The plays:

0.8 units Celts 1st qtr. -2 -113

0.8 units Celts 1st hf. -3 1/2 -115

Explanation of betting units: My normal bet is 1 unit. However, I want to throttle the total risk amount when making 2 separate straight bets which are correlated to an extent, as is the case here.
As far as Game 1s...

That last one was tailor made for the Mavs. They had a few days off and a bunch of momentum after the OKC game 6. They also were in the road, easier to focus in that spot.

Minnesota was on very little rest after a very tough last 5 games vs Denver.

We both saw that spot the same.

Now, I don't have a preference either way on the quarter and half plays... Just talking hoops...

A lot of angles with the Mavs I look at differently. This team is simply a different club since March 7th. They also have a coach who is so much better than we've ever seen him.

Kyrie experience in The Finals I believe will be huge for stealing one at TD Garden. I don't think Luka is ever phased, anywhere, but some of these other guys might not be ready for the moment initially.

As far as Game 1s...

That last one was tailor made for the Mavs. They had a few days off and a bunch of momentum after the OKC game 6. They also were in the road, easier to focus in that spot.

Minnesota was on very little rest after a very tough last 5 games vs Denver.

We both saw that spot the same.

Now, I don't have a preference either way on the quarter and half plays... Just talking hoops...

A lot of angles with the Mavs I look at differently. This team is simply a different club since March 7th. They also have a coach who is so much better than we've ever seen him.

Kyrie experience in The Finals I believe will be huge for stealing one at TD Garden. I don't think Luka is ever phased, anywhere, but some of these other guys might not be ready for the moment initially.
A lot I like about the Mavs in the overall sense. Was keying here on series opener history, particularly this postseason.

Porzingis confirmed starting (rotowire). Buying off my bets. Didn't do too bad - laid -2 -08 (posted -2 -13, which was current, bet it a couple hours prior) took back +2 +04. Hadn't played the first half yet, felt I could get at least the same line or a little better if I waited, so that was a pass.

"Never underestimate the value of getting a good line"

Porzingis confirmed starting (rotowire). Buying off my bets. Didn't do too bad - laid -2 -08 (posted -2 -13, which was current, bet it a couple hours prior) took back +2 +04. Hadn't played the first half yet, felt I could get at least the same line or a little better if I waited, so that was a pass.

"Never underestimate the value of getting a good line"
Woops! I read it wrong (Its Horford). Unless they just changed it! I think I'm ready for a drink.

Back