NBA All Star Saturday

nbafan88

Pretty much a regular
[h=1]2014 Slam Dunk Contest the most star-studded ever[/h] Dan Feldman
Feb 7, 2014, 8:46 AM EST

5 Comments

8dab74a38fc86b50c925e9265a882e54.jpg
It’s been 14 years since the Slam Dunk Contest has featured multiple All-Stars.
Heck, in the last two years, no All-Stars have participated.
But after years of pleas, the NBA has finally assembled a Dunk Contest field that includes the game’s top talent. Paul George, Damian Lillard and John Wall headline the 2014 event – matching the most All-Stars ever to participate.
By volume, this Dunk Contest is special. Only 1988 (Michael Jordan, Dominique Wilkins and Clyde Drexler) and 1985 (Jordan, Julius Erving and Larry Nance) have featured this many All-stars.
But percentage, it’s unprecedented.
The Dunk Contest field has varied in size over the years, ranging from four to nine players. This year will have six participants – Terrence Ross, Harrison Barnes and Ben McLemore have also been invited – which means half the competitors are All-Stars. That’s never happened before.

The last time even two All-Stars competed in the Dunk Contest was 2000, when Vince Carter and Jerry Stackhouse dunked Saturday then played Sunday. The NBA really needed a boost that season. After three years without an All-Star in the Dunk Contest, the league dropped the event completely before reviving it in 2000.
And, with the multiple All-Stars participating, the dunks were the best ever.*
Carter won the event, slipping his elbow through the rim on one dunk and then catching a bounce pass, putting the ball between his legs and dunking on another. Really, though, the whole display was impressive.
*Only the 1988 Dunk Contest could make an argument, but that one was great more due to the dunking rivalry between Jordan and Wilkins than the actual dunks. Don’t get me wrong. The dunks were great in 1988, too. They were just a little better in 2000.
This year, instead of just two All-Stars like in 2000, we have three.
Are George, Lillard and Wall NBA’s biggest stars? No. The league didn’t reel in LeBron James, who would have been the biggest catch.
But that’s not a fair standard.
Just two players have ever competed in the Dunk Contest after finishing better than 10th in MVP voting – Erving and Jordan.
Erving entered the first two NBA Dunk Contests, 1984 and 1985, but his best dunking and playing days were behind him. If Erving, who won the 1976 ABA Dunk Contest, had begun his professional career in an NBA that had a Dunk Contest, he likely would have participated during his first few seasons and then outgrown it.
Jordan reached such great heights at such a young age, he rose up the honor list quicker than he could bow out of the Dunk Contest. But once he won his first MVP, he never competed in the Dunk Contest again.
Most of the great stars who participated in the Dunk Contest – players like Kobe Bryant, Clyde Drexler and Scottie Pippen – didn’t become great stars until after they participated in the Dunk Contest. We remember their Dunk Contest showings and their superstar statuses and conflate the two, but they really came at different points in the players’ careers.
Maybe Paul George, Damian Lillard or John Wall will eventually become megastars and get treated the same way.
For now, we know those three are at least stars of the moment, as their inclusion in the All-Star Game shows. That they’re also competing in the Dunk Contest puts the 2014 event in historical footing.
Everyone yearning for more of the NBA’s stars in the Dunk Contest has gotten their wish. Now, we’ll see whether that actually translates into better dunks.

[h=1]Curry, Irving highlight Foot Locker Three-Point Contest[/h] Official Release
Posted Feb 6, 2014 8:02 PM - Updated Feb 7, 2014 8:25 AM
> Detailed Rules & Scoring
NEW YORK -- NBA All-Stars Stephen Curry of the Golden State Warriors, Kyrie Irving of the Cleveland Cavaliers, Joe Johnson of the Brooklyn Nets, Damian Lillard of the Portland Trail Blazers and Kevin Love of the Minnesota Timberwolves headline the field of participants for the Foot Locker Three-Point Contest (#FootLockerThree) taking place during State Farm® All-Star Saturday Night (#StateFarmSaturday) at Smoothie King Center in New Orleans on Saturday, Feb. 15. The Washington Wizards' Bradley Beal, who will also be participating in the BBVA Compass Rising Stars challenge, Marco Belinelli of the San Antonio Spurs and Arron Afflalo of the Orlando Magic complete the field.
<p>Your browser does not support iframes.</p>

State Farm All-Star Saturday Night will be exclusively televised on TNT. The event also will be broadcast live on ESPN Radio and will collectively reach fans in 215 countries and territories in more than 47 languages.
Lillard, the 2012-13 Kia NBA Rookie of the Year, also is participating in the Taco Bells Skills Challenge and Sprite Slam Dunk, becoming the first player to appear in three events during State Farm All-Star Saturday Night. He also is participating in the 2014 BBVA Compass Rising Stars Challenge to be played Feb. 14, and the 2014 NBA All-Star Game on Feb. 16.
For the second consecutive year, the Eastern and Western conferences will compete during State Farm All-Star Saturday Night in an evening of challenges that will raise money for charity. NBA Cares and State Farm will make a joint donation of $500,000 as part of the event, with $100,000 awarded to each event's winning conference's charities and $25,000 going to the charities of the runner-up for each event. The Eastern Conference will be playing for the American Heart Association and the U.S. Fund for UNICEF while the Western Conference will compete for Teach for America and Wounded Warrior Project®. All-Stars Stephen Curry of the Golden State Warriors and George, winner of the 2012-13 Kia NBA Most Improved Player Award, will serve as captains of the Western and Eastern Conferences, respectively. The charities were selected by George and Curry, the NBA, and State Farm.
The NBA's best from behind the arc will take part in the Foot Locker Three-Point Contest, with the eight players competing in a two-round competition. Each player will have one minute to shoot as many balls as he can. The highest scoring East and highest scoring West competitors from the First Round will advance to the Championship Round. Of the two finalists, the one with the lower individual score from the First Round will go first in the Championship Round. The player scoring the most points in the Championship Round will win the 2014 Foot Locker Three-Point Contest for his conference along with $100,000 for their Conference's charities.
Five shooting stations will be set up around the three-point line, with four Official Spalding NBA game balls worth one point each and one Spalding NBA All-Star 2014 commemorative "money ball" worth two points at each location. New to this year's contest, each player will also be able to switch one of the five shooting locations to a full rack of five "money balls," each of which will be worth two points. This innovative element was first implemented in the 2009 NBA Development League All-Star Three-Point competition as part of D-League Dream Factory presented by Boost Mobile.
[h=3]2014 FOOT LOCKER THREE-POINT CONTEST PARTICIPANTS[/h] EASTERN CONFERENCE PARTICIPANTS
> Arron Afflalo, Orlando
> Bradley Beal, Washington
> Kyrie Irving, Cleveland
> Joe Johnson, Brooklyn

WESTERN CONFERENCE PARTICIPANTS
> Marco Belinelli, San Antonio
> Stephen Curry, Golden State
> Damian Lillard, Portland
> Kevin Love, Minnesota

[h=1]All-Stars Lillard, DeRozan headline field for 2014 Taco Bell Skills Challenge[/h] Official Release
Posted Feb 6, 2014 8:10 PM - Updated Feb 7, 2014 8:25 AM
> Detailed Rules & Scoring
NEW YORK --Reigning champion Damian Lillard of the Portland Trail Blazers and DeMar DeRozan of the Toronto Raptors, both All-Stars for the first time this year, headline the list of participants for the 2014 Taco Bell® Skills Challenge (#TacoBellSkills), taking place during State Farm® All-Star Saturday Night (#StateFarmSaturday), at Smoothie King Center in New Orleans on Saturday, Feb. 15. Lillard, the 2012-13 Kia NBA Rookie of the Year, also is participating in the Foot Locker Three-Point Contest and Sprite Slam Dunk, becoming the first player to appear in three events during State Farm All-Star Saturday Night. He also is participating in the 2014 BBVA Compass Rising Stars Challenge on Feb. 14, and the 2014 NBA All-Star Game on Feb. 16.
<p>Your browser does not support iframes.</p>

State Farm All-Star Saturday Night will be exclusively televised on TNT. The event also will be broadcast live on ESPN Radio and will collectively reach fans in 215 countries and territories in more than 47 languages.
The Taco Bell® Skills Challenge is introducing a new format that features four teams of two players each competing in a two-round timed relay-style course consisting of dribbling, passing and shooting stations.
Representing the Eastern Conference are DeRozan and Giannis Antetokounmpo of the Milwaukee Bucks on one team, and Michael Carter-Williams of the Philadelphia 76ers and Victor Oladipo of the Orlando Magic on the other. Antetokounmpo, Carter-Williams and Oladipo are also participating in the 2014 BBVA Compass Rising Stars Challenge.
Joining Lillard on one Western Conference team is Trey Burke of the Utah Jazz, while Reggie Jackson of the Oklahoma City Thunder and Goran Dragic of the Phoenix Suns comprise the other.
As part of this year's 2014 Taco Bell® Skills Challenge, four lucky teens will paired with the NBA participants. Through the Taco Bell Foundation for Teens, a total of $120,000 will be donated in support of educational scholarships and to Boys & Girls Clubs of America, with the teen paired with the winning team receiving a $30,000 educational scholarship.
For the second consecutive year, the Eastern and Western conferences will compete during State Farm All-Star Saturday Night in an evening of challenges that will raise money for charity. NBA Cares and State Farm will make a joint donation of $500,000 as part of the event, with $100,000 awarded to each event's winning conference's charities and $25,000 going to the charities of the runner-up for each event. The Eastern Conference will be playing for the American Heart Association and the U.S. Fund for UNICEF while the Western Conference will compete for Teach for America and Wounded Warrior Project®. All-Stars Stephen Curry of the Golden State Warriors and George, winner of the 2012-13 Kia NBA Most Improved Player Award, will serve as captains of the Western and Eastern Conferences, respectively. The charities were selected by George and Curry, the NBA, and State Farm.
All teams must observe basic NBA ball-handling rules while completing the course. The fastest team from each Conference during the First Round will advance to the Championship Round. The fastest team in the Championship Round will win the 2014 Taco Bell® Skills Challenge. Complete rules for the 2014 Taco Bell® Skills Challenge and State Farm All-Star Saturday Night can be found on [mediacentral.nba.com]mediacentral.nba.com.

[h=3]2014 TACO BELL SKILLS CHALLENGE PARTICIPANTS[/h] EASTERN CONFERENCE 2014 TACO BELL SKILLS CHALLENGE PARTICIPANTS

Team One
> Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee Bucks
> DeMar DeRozan, Toronto Raptors

Team Two
> Michael Carter-Williams, Phila. 76ers
> Victor Oladipo, Orlando Magic

WESTERN CONFERENCE 2014 TACO BELL SKILLS CHALLENGE PARTICIPANTS

Team One
> Trey Burke, Utah Jazz
> Damian Lillard, Portland Trail Blazers

Team Two
> Goran Dragic, Phoenix Suns
> Reggie Jackson, Oklahoma City Thunder

5 Dimes doesn't have odds up yet

found these online

Odds to win 2014 NBA Three Point Contest

Stephen Curry (GS) 9/4

Kevin Love (MIN) 5/1

Kyrie Irving (CLE) 5/1

Arron Afflalo (ORL) 5/1

Bradley Beal (WAS) 11/2

Damian Lillard (POR) 6/1

Marco Belinelli (SA) 8/1

Joe Johnson (BRK) 10/1

This year, instead of there being one money ball on each rack.... The contestants will get to choose one rack of the 5 that will be the money ball rack.

Interesting.

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. –- Joe Johnson isn’t messing around when it comes to this weekend’s All-Star 3-point contest.

Following Tuesday's Nets practice, Johnson rehearsed by shooting 3-pointers, simulating the contest by going through the racks while being timed. After Johnson left the court, Nets head coach Jason Kidd took a few practice rounds of his own, and did very well in his last go-around (see the video above for the evidence; Knicks fans may not want to watch).

“I'm trying to beat my score,” Johnson said. “When I did [the 3-point contest] when I was in Phoenix, I made seven. I can be happy if I just beat that.”

He even tried adjusting to a new rule that will be implemented in the contest Saturday night. This year, contestants will have the all "money-ball" rack, a rack full of money balls which can be positioned in any of the five stations.

“I wanted [the "money-ball" rack] to be the corner,” Johnson said. “But I don't want it to be the first shot and it can't be the last because I don't know how long it's gonna take me to get [through all the racks]. It might just be the second right on the half. We'll see.”

According to this NBA.com shot chart, Johnson's hot spots on the floor are the left wing and left corner, where he's hitting 49.1 percent and 42.9 percent, respectively.

Johnson said he was “young, inexperienced and just wasn't prepared” when he appeared in the 2004-05 3-point contest, adding that he didn’t take any practice shots beforehand.

“I just felt, you know, I'll go up there and I'll make shots,” Johnson said. “And our last game before the All-Star break was a Wednesday, so we didn't play Thursday. I didn't do nothing Thursday, Friday, Saturday until I got to the 3-point competition. So that's two or three days without touching a basketball. I don't know how you're gonna win a competition like that.”

Paul Pierce said Johnson just has to get himself acclimated to the atmosphere of the All-Star 3-point contest on Saturday night.

“I’ve shot against guys that are better shooters than me, but sometimes you get caught in the atmosphere, the glitz and the glow, the stars and it kind of overwhelms you,” Pierce said. “I don’t expect Joe to really get caught in that, he’s been to All-Star Weekend and he’s participated in a number of events.

“And you’ve just got to take your time,” Pierce added. “You can’t be in a hurry. But you’ve got to practice. You’ve got to get some practice in.”

Johnson said he will go through his normal pregame routine before the 3-point contest.

“Like it's a game situation, we about to play,” Johnson said. “I'm gonna be taped up. Arm sleeve on. I need it to be a game-like situation.”

still thinking... i dont really like any of the longshots... i was hoping MT3 would be in it but he's not

The 3PT contest is Curry's to lose, imo... Belinelli I think has best value.

With those odds, would probably play 1 unit on Curry and 0.5 unit on Belinelli.

everyone is going to shoot a high percentage at the corners and top the key will be who in that list is good at hitting from the angle.
I'm going to have to probably give those edges to Curry

So we're getting closer to things getting started...

Curry to win 3PT +220 - 1.5 to win 3.3

Belinelli to win 3PT +675 - 0.5 to win 3.375

:popcorn:

Dunk is fan vote...fans like paul george

KY fans watching KY vs UF

Interesting thinking...may knock Wall out of the running.

Fans like Lillard though too, don't they? I think he's pretty popular. Plus, maybe he'll somehow get more votes since he's in every event this weekend and getting more camera time/becoming more of a household name.

fuck sakes I'm trying but nick cannon and cliff paul is too much

time to hit the netflix

Back