NBA 2012/2013 Trade-Deadline News/Rumors

The Nets are reportedly "going hard" after Josh Smith in trade talks, and the Bobcats and Rockets are also in the mix.
According to ESPN's Chris Broussard, "While they've discussed a trade for Ben Gordon, getting Josh is a bigger priority." That's not exactly a ground-breaking revelation, especially with the Nets' obvious desire for a starting-caliber PF, but it suggests that Brooklyn feels they have a legitimate chance to deal for Smoove. Though intriguing, this is firmly in the 'rumor' stage.
Related: Bobcats, Nets, Rockets
Source: Chris Broussard on Twitter Feb 10 - 11:08 PM

After a bout of disruptive behavior from Ben Gordon targeted at Charlotte Bobcats coach Mike Dunlap, the franchise's desire to trade the guard has deepened, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

As Dunlap led the Bobcats in a morning shootaround on Monday before a victory over the Celtics, Gordon refused Dunlap's request to stop bouncing a ball as the coach spoke, sources said. Before long, Gordon began baiting Dunlap, telling him that he needed to "humble himself," sources said.
Gordan refused to give the ball to Dunlap, and eventually tossed it toward a ball rack, sources said.
Bobcats general manager Rod Higgins was in the practice session and ultimately intervened, sources said.
"Beyond disrespectful," was how one league source described the scene.
[Also: MJ's decision to play for Wizards doomed his legacy in Washington]
The front office didn't suspend Gordon, a decision sources said was based in part on the belief the incident would diminish his trade value so close to the league's deadline next Thursday. The Brooklyn Nets are still mulling an offer to trade forward Kris Humphries for Gordon, but have thus far been unmoved over the possibility Gordon can make an impact for them, sources said.
For now, the Nets are searching elsewhere, believing they can always go back and accept the Gordon deal at the deadline. Gordon's performance has steadily fallen this season, including an unproductive 14 minutes against the Celtics that included missing five of six shots.
Gordon makes $12.4 million this season and $13.2 million in 2013-14. The Detroit Pistons traded Gordon to the Bobcats in June.

looks like Bargnani won't last next week. Bulls trade is on the table, but seems now the Sixers are coming to play.

Celtics lakers are talking a Dwight-Rondo trade. Lol wtf.

that's Danny...he isnt afraid to pull the trigger on trades good or bad...it got him a 'ship in '07
trades got him Rondo, Ticket and Jesus

but i think with the roided Super Pussy, he is reaching

[h=1]Lakers GM shoots down trade talk[/h]Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak denied a CBSSports.com report that the Lakers and Celtics were in preliminary talks to trade Dwight Howard for Rajon Rondo.

"I haven't talked to Danny Ainge in weeks," Kupchak told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard. "I made the statement a week or two ago that we're not going to trade Dwight Howard and that hasn't changed."

I made the statement a week or two ago that we're not going to trade Dwight Howard and that hasn't changed.

-- Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak
When asked if a possible Howard-for-Rondo trade was discussed when he spoke to the Celtics weeks ago, Kupchak again said no. He said at no point this season has a Howard-for-Rondo trade been discussed.

Earlier Friday, Howard addressed the possibility of being traded before the celebrity All-Star Game.

Asked if he'd be shocked if the Lakers moved him in the coming days, Howard said: "Well, they told me they weren't going to trade me. So, yeah, I would be surprised."

Howard spent much of his 30-minute session with reporters trying to deflect questions about his future. But, ultimately, he said he wouldn't be pressured by anyone into making a decision about his future before the end of the season.

"The only thing that matters is the present, and right now," Howard said. "There's no need to talk about what's going to happen at the end of the season. No reason to go back and forth about it. I just feel like at the end of the year, I should have my opportunity to make my own decision. I shouldn't be criticized for waiting for the end of the year."

Information from ESPN.com's Michael Wallace was used in this report.

Why would Dwight ever go longterm to Boston. If he does he is border line retarded. Boston will be going into rebuilding mode soon unfortunately.

god, dwight is such a pussy. He has the keys to one of the best franchises in all of sports, but too pussy to take it.

dwight can't take it in LA, why would people think he would make it in Boston or New York market?

garnett for bledsoe and deandre jordan is apparently a proposed trade. vinny wants it, clippers front office doesnt.

Why would Dwight ever go longterm to Boston. If he does he is border line retarded. Boston will be going into rebuilding mode soon unfortunately.

it wouldn't be for long term - just rental for the rest of the year - Fills a great need for the Celtics if they believe they can make a run this year, then next year Dwight leaves, Garnet retires, then trade Pierce or keep him ( only guaranteed like 4.5 mil next year).. still have Doc as your coach and money to spend, rebuild.
Rondo is a year from playing - he is a great talent but do you build a team around him?

It makes zero sense. Why would Lakers do that? Rondo is a year away and no one knows the shape he will be in. They got Nash for the next 2.5 seasons as well.
If Rondo was healthy and Lakers didn't have Nash, I would understand that, but even one of the two factors makes this story simply untrue and I believe Kupchak, when he says that he didn't even talk to Ainge...

[h=1]Hawks seem determined to deal Josh Smith[/h]February, 19, 2013
FEB 19
2:03
AM ET

<cite class="source" style="margin: 0px 0px 10px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 10px; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent; display: block; overflow: hidden; line-height: 12px; font-style: normal; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;">By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive</cite>

nba_g_garnsmith_576.jpg

<cite style="margin: 0px 0px 4px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 10px !important; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent; display: block; color: rgb(171, 171, 171); background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;">Elsa/Getty Images</cite>
You don't have to listen too closely to hear trade chatter about Kevin Garnett and Josh Smith.

It didn't take long, coming out of All-Star Weekend, from the trade chatter to crank back up again.

Some fresh dribbles of that chatter follow in the lead-up to the NBA’s 3 p.m ET Thursday trade deadline:

<center style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent;">
</center>
The Atlanta Hawks have convinced numerous teams that they're definitely trading Josh Smith this week, largely because they see the unpredictable lefty as a virtual lock to leave them in free agency this summer.

So ...

Destinations?

One team close to the situation consulted Monday night predicted that the Nets would ultimately land Smith via a three-way trade after ESPN's Chris Broussard reported Feb. 11 that Smith is a prime Brooklyn Nets trade target.

Another team pinpointed the Phoenix Suns and Milwaukee Bucks as the strongest contenders to win the Smith sweepstakes. The big worry for both of those teams, though, is whether they could really risk trading for Smith when convincing him to re-sign for the long term is likely to be a serious challenge in either city. Especially with Smith said to be angling for a max deal … and with nobody confusing the Suns or the Bucks with Mikhail Prokohorov's Nets.

Broussard, furthermore, tweeted early Tuesday that the Washington Wizards have made anyone on the roster available for Smith, apart from John Wall, Bradley Beal or Nene Hilario.

Which brings us to the Boston Celtics.

NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com on Monday that the Boston Celtics have, indeed, registered their interest on the Smith front, with the caveat that they also remain highly interested in the Clippers' Eric Bledsoe.

Yet a Boston deal for Smith, sources said, would almost certainly have to be built around Paul Pierce, because Kevin Garnett isn't waiving his no-trade clause to go to the Atlanta Hawks if he's not willing to waive it to go to the Clipperland. And the prospect of Celtics front-office chief Danny Ainge exiling Pierce to the Hawks for Smith, after everything Pierce has done to restore the Celtics to glory over the past half-decade, is still hard to imagine.

At least for me.

<center style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent;">
</center>
According to one theory in circulation on the personnel grapevine, Celtics officials could be moved this week to try to make the case to Garnett that waiving his no-trade provision to accept that long-rumored trade to the Los Angeles Clippers would be the best thing not only for himself but for the long-term health of the franchise. Combine that approach with the expected lobbying from the L.A. side by good buddy Chauncey Billups, as the theory goes, and maybe Garnett will ultimately relent and consent to a swap.

Have to add three follow-up caveats here, though:

1. After spending a solid 15 minutes in the same room with Garnett in Houston as part of ESPN Radio's All-Star Weekend team, I became convinced that KG isn't waiving that no-trade clause. For anyone or any team. My impression is that it's going to take more lobbying than anyone out there can muster.

2. Broussard reported late Monday night on "SportsCenter" that Billups has already warned the Clippers that Garnett's position appears to be firm … and that Garnett spelled out the exact same thing to Chris Paul last summer when Paul informed KG that the Clippers wanted to pursue him via trade.

3. Even if Garnett did wind up with the Clippers this week, after all the bluster against the idea, I still struggle to picture the Celtics telling Pierce that they're going to send him to the Hawks for the good of Boston's long-term health. The deal might make sense for Atlanta -- since Pierce's $5 million buyout for next season would extend the Hawks' window of flexibility and create a new set of options -- but it still looks like as an impossible sell in Boston.

I've always thought Rajon Rondo, not Pierce or Garnett, would be the first member of Boston's star trio to be dealt. There simply might not be a shake-up move available to the Celtics at this deadline now that Rondo has been lost to a season-ending knee injury.

</center>

There's more on that subject.

The Clippers, according one source close to the situation, would not be willing to surrender both Bledsoe and DeAndre Jordan to Boston even if Garnett was willing to waive his no-trade clause.

Is that posturing? An absolute stance?

We'll find out for sure between now and the deadline, but the source insisted that the Clippers feel that a Bledsoe-and-Jordan combo is too much to surrender for a 36-year-old who isn't sure how much longer he'll be playing.

</center>

The consistent word out of Houston, incidentally, is that the Rockets -- long known to be Smith fans -- are far more likely to pursue J-Smoove in free agency than to try to trade for him this week.

The Rockets are expected to use their leftover salary-cap space from last summer to extract an extra draft pick from teams looking to shed salary for luxury-tax reasons right before the trade buzzer.

</center>
Veterans who remain available in trade talks this week include San Antonio's DeJuan Blair, Cleveland's Omri Casspi, Charlotte's Ben Gordon, Brooklyn's Kris Humphries, Oklahoma City's Eric Maynor, Minnesota's Luke Ridnour, Phoenix's Sebastian Telfair and Washington's Jordan Crawford.

Orlando, meanwhile, continues to seek no less than a first-round pick for sharpshooter J.J. Redick, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in July.

Garnett hinted at retirement couple of days ago, anyone who wants to give up Jordan and Bledsoe for him must be out of his mind.

it wouldn't be for long term - just rental for the rest of the year - Fills a great need for the Celtics if they believe they can make a run this year, then next year Dwight leaves, Garnet retires, then trade Pierce or keep him ( only guaranteed like 4.5 mil next year).. still have Doc as your coach and money to spend, rebuild.
Rondo is a year from playing - he is a great talent but do you build a team around him?

From what I saw the celtics would only do the trade if Dwight signed an extension

Rondo a full go for training camp. He only had a partial tear. He'll be 100%. Rondo with shooters out in LA isn't a bad rebuilding plan. Celtics would be dumb to do so though. Team can add another nice piece in offseason and in a few years add 2 max guys to play with rondo and green.

DeAndre Jordan isn't a value trade wise now with his new salary. Sorry. And wow, the Wizards willing to trade anyone outside of Wall, Beal, and Nene. So much value leftover outside of those 3!

Please dont trade for J Smoove Milwaukee. Although it could have its fun moments, I don't think I could handle him, Jennings, and Monta running around firing up jumpers.

@WojYahooNBA: The Rockets will send Patrick Patterson, Cole Aldrich and Toney Douglas to the Kings for Thomas Robinson, sources tell Y!

Josh Smith thinks he a Max contract player lol
any GM dumb enough to pay.him that should be fired

The Nets offered Kris Humphries, MarShon Brooks and a first-round pick — the same package made to the Hawks for Josh Smith — to the Celtics in exchange for Paul Pierce, Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski reported.
The C's want Brooklyn to sweeten the pot with Mirza Teletovic and another first-rounder, but the Nets won't add to their original offer, according to Wojnarowski, who reported a near Pierce deal with the Nets last season that involved Mehmet Okur's expiring contract and a lottery pick that was instead dealt to Portland for Gerald Wallace and became Rookie of the Year candidate Damian Lillard.
The Celtics also separately inquired about Nets backup point guard C.J. Watson, but the conversation went nowhere, Wojnarowski said.
As for Brooklyn's offer for Pierce, no word on how quickly Celtics president Danny Ainge hung up the phone. The Nets seem eager to get out from underneath the $12 million remaining on Humphries' deal next season, especially since the controversial big man's production has been slashed in half since averaging a double-double during the lockout-shortened 2011-12 season. Meanwhile, the C's could've had MarShon Brooks in the 2011 NBA draft, but instead shipped his rights to the Nets in exchange for JaJuan Johnson. And the Nets currently own the 21st pick in this June's draft. In other words, a terrible offer.

[h=5]No word on how quickly Danny Ainge hung up the phone after hearing this trade offer from the Nets...[/h]

yeah pls... i want Kris Kardashian on my team lol

If Houston swings a Smoove deal, oh man. Say Thomas Robinson, Garcia's expiring, 2 firsts to free up all the room Atlanta wants. The Spurs and the Rockets are the two teams that can make the most of Josh Smith, if Houston can get him they become an immediate threat going into next season, not to mention a team capable of beating literally anybody in the first round this year.

Who cares about Telfair, O'Neal and all that junk?
I mean, what happened to the NBA trade deadline???

And, most important question of the year, will Casspi get traded?!

O'Neal to the Knicks? The most obvious move of the season.

Another thing that can't stop bothering me from the beginning of the season, how come Knicks haven't signed Mcdyess by now?!

Lin/Harden/Parsons/Smoove/Asik starting 5 is right up there with anybody else's if they can swing something like what I mentioned. Houston only takes 3's, layups, and free throws. The commitment to analytics, plus the coach with playing experience who speaks the players' language, plus the pace at which they play which makes things very fun for the players, it's perfect for Smith. It'd be easy for him to commit there because the pace alone would give him 16-18 ppg on just layups and free throws, then you can unleash him on defense which would be a perfect fit on this team. You'd have Asik protecting the paint and Smith roaming around doing whatever is necessary on that particular night. Team immediately becomes a 55 win squad going into next season if they can swing Smoove while keeping the other 4 starters imo.

Who cares about Telfair, O'Neal and all that junk?
I mean, what happened to the NBA trade deadline???

And, most important question of the year, will Casspi get traded?!

O'Neal to the Knicks? The most obvious move of the season.

Another thing that can't stop bothering me from the beginning of the season, how come Knicks haven't signed Mcdyess by now?!

It was an EXTREMELY busy offseason this year, 30+ trades went down. Not a ton of moves to be made right now except for a few bench types, Redick, and Smoove.

Your team could really use kris kardashian. What a pathetic performance last night. You need a rebounder in the worst possible way.

I don't know. All the talks about Dwight, Amare, Bargniani, Smith, Boozer, Granger and I'm sure I forget many others and what do we get in the end???

Morris brothers reunion...

Your team could really use kris kardashian. What a pathetic performance last night. You need a rebounder in the worst possible way.

Team has simply regressed to what everybody knew they were before the hot start. Felton, Smith, and Kidd all back down to their career averages and Melo just isn't the 3rd best player in the league, even in a career year he wasn't gonna sustain what he was doing early in the year. Both our teams are what they are, hoping for a first round win, anything past that would be gravy, and somehow taking Miami to 6 games would be a cherry on top.

Not to mention that the Knicks only have one good defender on the entire roster. Could definitely use an injection of energy here at the deadline but their cap situation/Shumpert being the only young piece on the entire team for the next few years makes it tricky. Once you use the Shumpert chip you're fresh out of tradeable pieces for the next 2 years.

I honestly feel Josh Smith is a steal right now. The Atlanta Hawks franchise is a joke when it comes to player development and leadership given to players. Any team with veteran players could change jsmooves ways and a change of scenery will do wonders for him.

Team has simply regressed to what everybody knew they were before the hot start. Felton, Smith, and Kidd all back down to their career averages and Melo just isn't the 3rd best player in the league, even in a career year he wasn't gonna sustain what he was doing early in the year. Both our teams are what they are, hoping for a first round win, anything past that would be gravy, and somehow taking Miami to 6 games would be a cherry on top.

i was talking about the celtics lol but yes the Knicks suck. And march is brutal for them. I like it. Hope they drop to the 6th/7th seed

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nba/201156/report-hawks-bucks-talking-josh-smith-deal

Ellis and Udoh for Harris and Smith???

Why would Hawks trade one head case for another???

I realize that they are thin in SG position and have enough front court players and that both are half a season rentals, but Ellis is a player that I wouldn't sign on a minimum contract for my team and I really like Smith.

I guess that Smith and Drew reached a point where they can't be on the same team...

I would take Jennings over Ellis any day of the week and I hate Jennings as well.

It's a shame that Lakers can't try to get in the Reddick persuit. The exact player that Lakers need. A pure shooter that should get tons of open looks, playing with Kobe, Nash and Dwight...

The Celtics are reportedly eyeing Jordan Crawford in a trade with the Wizards, according to ESPN's Chris Broussard.

Broussard reports Fab Melo is a player who could be headed back to Washington, and while Crawford is said to be available on the cheap, it's unclear if he'll be moved before the deadline.

Now that would be amazing move for the Celtics. Really like Crawford and I think he can easily fight Jamal for best Crawford in the league next season...

Back