***National Championship--Clemson vs Alabama--Discussion***

Yeah I'm kind of glad too. Seems like a bush league way to do it. Should have just played the pick play better. Should have put Minkah on Renfrow IMO. Doesn't matter, Watson was a stud, wouldn't be denied. Great champion

Wonder if Alabama should have just tackled every offensive player as soon as the ball was snapped for the last play? Get PI, half the distance, but time runs off and Clemson has to kick FG instead?
I've never thought about this. Has it ever been done?

I've never thought about this. Has it ever been done?

You didn't think about it the other night in this thread (that you were in) when it was brought up and discussed?

Pretty sure it was also mentioned, when someone brought it up, that SF employed that tactic in a game this season.

Thanks man.

Someone on one of our boards said the Ravens did it against the Bengals a couple of years ago

Someone on one of our boards said the Ravens did it against the Bengals a couple of years ago

It was just a few weeks ago.

It was different though, somewhat. They had to punt the ball say 8 seconds or less so they went out and held everyone and then the punter took a safety.

It was just a few weeks ago.

It was different though, somewhat. They had to punt the ball say 8 seconds or less so they went out and held everyone and then the punter took a safety.

You're right, misread on my part. Different type of play for sure, but the similarity I guess is taking a penalty to your advantage instead of giving the other team an opportunity

Pretty sure this was brought up a couple of months ago by someone just wondering if it could be done. If I'm not mistaken it was looked up and there was a rule against intentionally taking a penalty multiple times in a row. I can't remember what the penalty was, and I'm on my phone so not looking it up and trying to copy and paste. If someone wants to look it up, post what you find...

You didn't think about it the other night in this thread (that you were in) when it was brought up and discussed?

Pretty sure it was also mentioned, when someone brought it up, that SF employed that tactic in a game this season.

Thanks man.

LOL

are you serious?

Pretty sure I heard William Hill took the biggest bath on this game than any game in history, any sport

Surprised nobody is talking about if Renfrow would have dropped or bobbled the ball, time runs out. Game over, lose by 3.

I would have ran a quick play, and not a roll out to make sure time doesn't expire on the play so you can kick the FG and go to OT just in cause it's incomplete or stopped before the goal line

The clock was on 3/2 seconds when he caught the TD. An additional second or two ran off the clock. They'd adjusted the clock had he dropped the bAll. Further Alabama should have petitioned for more time on the clock.

Lol wish I could take credit there.

Had Bama win 31-28 Vegas would have done well with the dog covering but little coming in on the ML dog

Wonder if Alabama should have just tackled every offensive player as soon as the ball was snapped for the last play? Get PI, half the distance, but time runs off and Clemson has to kick FG instead?

Sometimes winning with dignity is more important than winning. Danny Ford wouldn't have done that, nor his former coach. And I think we could say the same thing about Dabo and his former coach.

Pretty sure this was brought up a couple of months ago by someone just wondering if it could be done. If I'm not mistaken it was looked up and there was a rule against intentionally taking a penalty multiple times in a row.

You're thinking of an NFL rule:

Rule 12-3-2:
The defense shall not commit successive or continued fouls to prevent a score. Penalty: For continuous fouls to prevent a score: If the violation is repeated after a warning, the score involved is awarded to the offensive team.

Clemson was the better team the other night. They deserved to win. I am glad they won as a fan of the sport. I was glad to see Alabama lose to a team that was better than them and not some fluke. I was also glad that on some level, Saban's legacy is tarnished by this. Keep Lane another week and it is just a loss .. replacing him and then losing at least partly from bad play calling is damaging to his legacy.

That said, I don't see how tackling the receivers is any less dignified than intentionally picking a player for the game winning play.

Nothing undignified about either imo ... just saying.

Rule 12-3-2:
The defense shall not commit successive or continued fouls to prevent a score. Penalty: For continuous fouls to prevent a score: If the violation is repeated after a warning, the score involved is awarded to the offensive team.

Unless there was a warning after the unintentional penalty, the rule is moot, no?

Great rule though. And I didn't know it.

You just never know when they might invoke NCAA Rule 9.2.3:

Rule 9-2-3 Unfair Acts

The following are unfair acts:

a. A team refuses to play within two minutes after ordered to do so by the referee.

b. A team repeatedly commits fouls for which penalties can be enforced only by halving the distance to its goal line.

c. An obviously unfair act not specifically covered by the rules occurs during the game (A.R. 4-2-1-II).

PENALTY—The referee may take any action he considers equitable, including assessing a penalty, awarding a score, or suspending or forfeiting the game.

They wouldn't have to do anything drastic; the rule could be invoked to just put time back on the clock.

Last edited:

Rule 12-3-2:

Thanks MW, I knew someone had posted it when it came up earlier this season. So I guess we knew it was a rule in the NFL, and now know it is in college as well (assuming the 2nd post was the college rule and not a separate NFL rule).

You just never know when they might invoke NCAA Rule 9.2.3:

Rule 9-2-3 Unfair Acts

The following are unfair acts:

a. A team refuses to play within two minutes after ordered to do so by the referee.

b. A team repeatedly commits fouls for which penalties can be enforced only by halving the distance to its goal line.

c. An obviously unfair act not specifically covered by the rules occurs during the game (A.R. 4-2-1-II).

PENALTY—The referee may take any action he considers equitable, including assessing a penalty, awarding a score, or suspending or forfeiting the game.

They wouldn't have to do anything drastic; the rule could be invoked to just put time back on the clock.

You think a college officiating crew would have that rule in their minds at the end of the national championship game? All that head ref was thinking was getting the game over so he could go blast some biceps in the gym

Clemson was the better team the other night. They deserved to win. I am glad they won as a fan of the sport. I was glad to see Alabama lose to a team that was better than them and not some fluke. I was also glad that on some level, Saban's legacy is tarnished by this. Keep Lane another week and it is just a loss .. replacing him and then losing at least partly from bad play calling is damaging to his legacy.

That said, I don't see how tackling the receivers is any less dignified than intentionally picking a player for the game winning play.

I don't think the play calling was any worse than the Washington game, when Lane was calling the shots. Lane finally caused a big enough mess that it influenced the team. Took 3 years, which is 2.9 years longer than anyone thought it would. But playcalling wasn't the problem for Alabama. Clemson playing so well was

I am not a Lane fan (and you know I was on Clemson), but you really don't know what would have happened in this game if Lane had still been calling it. They could have been up more and/or Bo may not have gotten hurt (this was huge). Yes, they could have lost by more as well - the point is we don't know, and that questioning is what "tarnishes" Sabans legacy (if you could even really argue that).

Everything I've heard indicates that Lane was a huge distraction in the locker room and the coaches' offices for the last couple of months. I doubt Saban wanted to make this decision, but had to as he perceived it to be what was best for the team. Ideally I think it would have happened after the SEC Champ game, but that's neither here nor there. Like I mentioned, the playcalling in the Washington game appeared to be just as bad. But to be honest, I'm not sure the plays called in either game were as poor as the execution by the offense. In both games, we had WR wide open, but Hurts either didn't see them, made a poor throw, or the OL didn't block well. It's easy to say that we should have just run Scarborough more, but Washington and Clemson have great defenses. They would have adjusted. And we still put up 31 points, with a TD drive in the last couple of minutes down by 4. Clemson simply made more plays. On both sides of the ball. I don't think this tarnishes Saban's legacy any other than he'll have to wait to have the first 15-0 season in the modern era, and he's no longer undefeated in championship games. But 5-1 in the natty and 7-1 in the SEC CG is still pretty good

Bo got hurt and didn't come back in, but let us not forget his last 8/9 runs that totaled about 20 yards. Clemson had finally figured him out after getting punished in two great runs

Tigers head coach Dabo Swinney joined College Football Hall of Famer Bud Wilkinson as the only national champions as both a player and head coach.

With wins over Bama, FSU, Ohio State, and Auburn this year, Clemson beat the teams that had won the last 7 championships.

On Tuesday I watched the "CFP Coaches Film Room" broadcast of the game. Perhaps the most interesting thing was that the BC head coach thought the clock ran on extra points. He advised Clemson to take a knee to run out the clock so they wouldn't have to kick off.

MW, it has been long assumed that Dabo would leave Clemson to coach Alabama if given the opportunity. For a long time, I'd say the majority of Alabama people have been completely against that prospect, but I think his success is becoming impossible to ignore. Do y'all think he would leave? I mean, he's pretty much a legend already at Clemson, and I don't see y'all dropping off much with the talent he's accumulating. I personally don't think it's a given Dabo would leave, even for Alabama. What's the consensus on y'all's end?

On Tuesday I watched the "CFP Coaches Film Room" broadcast of the game. Perhaps the most interesting thing was that the BC head coach thought the clock ran on extra points. He advised Clemson to take a knee to run out the clock so they wouldn't have to kick off.

that's amazing.

Tigers head coach Dabo Swinney joined College Football Hall of Famer Bud Wilkinson as the only national champions as both a player and head coach.

I would like to submit Darrell Royal to this list, he was the starting QB on the 1949 Sooners that went 11-0 versus the AP #1 Notre Dame and it's 10-0 record.

That nugget about the BC coach blows my mind.

MW I'm pretty sure you remember the 1981 Championship but I was wondering if Schrute was old enough to have any recollections of it ?

Congrats to both of you, nice to see 2 great posters here get to celebrate this...gps and CrimsonK have enough Titles to last them a lifetime lol.

Last edited:
lol scrute

Since 2012, Clemson is 11-3 when losing TO battle by 2 or more. Rest of FBS: 309-1330 (.189). Only 5 other teams have a winning record. Incredible.

MW, it has been long assumed that Dabo would leave Clemson to coach Alabama if given the opportunity. For a long time, I'd say the majority of Alabama people have been completely against that prospect, but I think his success is becoming impossible to ignore. Do y'all think he would leave?

I have no idea. It certainly wouldn't surprise me.

yes

you want me to remember something from an ingame at midnight whilst i look on my phone?

not my kinda memory

Lol, clearly. Yeah Twinkie it was a day or two earlier, you're acting as if it was a month and something obscure. We can just call you Goldie from now on and be done with it.

thanks man

Everything I've heard indicates that Lane was a huge distraction in the locker room and the coaches' offices for the last couple of months. I doubt Saban wanted to make this decision, but had to as he perceived it to be what was best for the team. Ideally I think it would have happened after the SEC Champ game, but that's neither here nor there. Like I mentioned, the playcalling in the Washington game appeared to be just as bad. But to be honest, I'm not sure the plays called in either game were as poor as the execution by the offense. In both games, we had WR wide open, but Hurts either didn't see them, made a poor throw, or the OL didn't block well. It's easy to say that we should have just run Scarborough more, but Washington and Clemson have great defenses. They would have adjusted. And we still put up 31 points, with a TD drive in the last couple of minutes down by 4. Clemson simply made more plays. On both sides of the ball. I don't think this tarnishes Saban's legacy any other than he'll have to wait to have the first 15-0 season in the modern era, and he's no longer undefeated in championship games. But 5-1 in the natty and 7-1 in the SEC CG is still pretty good
the
kid has a ways to go.....the defense covered up some offensive flaws all year

Back