My Bowl Games thread.....

Van...One thing I brought up in my thread about the BYU/Oregon game was the TERRIBLE field goal kicking for Oregon. How can a division 1 school have such crappy field goal kicking? If Oregon gets inside the 35, it is always going to be 4 down territory. How can anyone take a team that HAS to play that way the entire game? Unless they found some walk-on in the past 3 weeks, this is definitly a HUGE advantage for BYU.

Good luck this bowl season.

Fondybadger said:
Nice win last night.

Thanks Fondy.

Love the avatar. I go for a beef and cheddar over a naked babe avatar anyday.

Ive been married way too long.

:cheers:

vanzack said:
Thanks Fondy.

Love the avatar. I go for a beef and cheddar over a naked babe avatar anyday.

Ive been married way too long.

WAAAAAAAAAYY too long.

vanzack said:
Today is the day CUSA gets exposed for the fraud of a conference they are.

That is what I am betting today as well!

Rice opened my eyes last night, they were slow, they can't tackle, and they looked SCURRRREDD of the Troy men...

Hopefully Conf USA is 0-2 today...

Van I went ahead and made sure I got SC at a decent # just to start, locked in SC -6 +100 today as the line has gotten steady again...

everythingthatsgreen said:
That is what I am betting today as well!

Rice opened my eyes last night, they were slow, they can't tackle, and they looked SCURRRREDD of the Troy men...

Hopefully Conf USA is 0-2 today...

Van I went ahead and made sure I got SC at a decent # just to start, locked in SC -6 +100 today as the line has gotten steady again...

Im half in at 5.5 and waiting on the rest.

WIll probably do the rest tonight.

rjurewitz said:
Van--You playing your onestar play on Utah tonight?

Yeah I couldnt resist.

I put a normal wager on it.

So officially it is a 2 star wager for me using the star system in this thread.

vanzack said:
Yeah I couldnt resist.

I put a normal wager on it.

So officially it is a 2 star wager for me using the star system in this thread.

What a degenerate! ;)

I'll throw a standard play on it too and I think I'll be on ASU tomorrow (although I'll have to settle for a worse line than you).

Good luck, Van. Let's do it.

rjurewitz said:
What a degenerate! ;)

I'll throw a standard play on it too and I think I'll be on ASU tomorrow (although I'll have to settle for a worse line than you).

Good luck, Van. Let's do it.

Ive been doing a lot of reading over at ASU fan sites and the local buzz has me very nervous. Im already in so I will ride it out but it seems like there is a lot of discontent about Erickson coming in and they might not be very motivated for this one.

Still going to play it because Im in at +8, but I might make it a pass knowing what I know now and at +7.

GL

Van,
awesome start. I am on the other side of tonights game so I wish you GL. I am glad there is some ASU folks rattling some discontent but like I said, GL. I am with you on most picks. Happy Holidays.

Clemson -9.5 (**) vs Kentucky. This one is in Nashville. At first glance I liked KY. I wanted to like KY in this game. But after further review – the play was overruled.

This game boils down to Clemsons rushing game vs the KY defense, and the KY throwing game against the Clemson defense. That’s what both offenses do best, lets look at it:

Clemson rushing offense 5th in the nation
KY rushing defense 111th (out of 119) in the nation and last in the SEC

KY passing offense 9th in the nation
Clemson passing defense 4th in the nation.

I just don’t see how KY is ever going to stop Clemson. On the other hand, Clemson should be able to slow down KY and KY cant run the ball either. Special teams are a wash although KY has one of the best punt return teams in the nation.

Strength of schedule is about even, with Clemson having a tougher out of conf schedule but an easier in conf schedule. I don’t like the fact that Clemson is limping in to this one losing 3 of its last 4, and especially to S Carolina, but Clemson will be able to run on KY and that will be the difference.

Clemson 38 – 17

Missouri +3.5 (**) vs Oregon State at El Paso TX. I have to take the points here. Missouri is a little bit better than Oregon State in almost every statistical category. They have very even special teams.

The difference in this one is Missouri’s air attack against the OSU passing defense. I think Missou should be able to move the ball in the air.

Missouri wins 31-24

S Carolina -5.5 (****) vs Houston at Mephis TN. This will be equal to my biggest bowl game bet of the season.

This is a tremendous spot for SC. First off lets talk about what happened last year in SC’s bowl game. They were dominating Missouri 21-0 and going in for another when they threw an interception and they just fell apart. They lost and the program was embarrassed and spurrier vowed he would never let that happen again. The players have all been saying that they remember that game and will never let that happen again. I believe SC will play until the last whistle, even if it means burying their opponent. There will be no give up.

Houston plays in CUSA – and we have already seen what that lousy conference has done. I have it ranked as the worst conference from top to bottom, and they are doing nothing so far to prove me wrong. On the other hand the SEC is the strongest conference in the nation from top to bottom, and SC competed very well all year. Their losses are to Florida, Arkansas, Tennessee, Auburn and Georgia – all solid bowl teams.
SC will be able to move the ball all over the field on Houston, and I think Houston will become one dimensional and as good as Kolb can be, he cant carry this team alone.

Big coaching advantage to SC too.

SC wins easily 41-17.

vanzack said:
S Carolina -5.5 (****)
vanzack said:
vs Houston at Mephis TN. This will be equal to my biggest bowl game bet of the season.

This is a tremendous spot for SC. First off lets talk about what happened last year in SC’s bowl game. They were dominating Missouri 21-0 and going in for another when they threw an interception and they just fell apart. They lost and the program was embarrassed and spurrier vowed he would never let that happen again. The players have all been saying that they remember that game and will never let that happen again. I believe SC will play until the last whistle, even if it means burying their opponent. There will be no give up.

Houston plays in CUSA – and we have already seen what that lousy conference has done. I have it ranked as the worst conference from top to bottom, and they are doing nothing so far to prove me wrong. On the other hand the SEC is the strongest conference in the nation from top to bottom, and SC competed very well all year. Their losses are to Florida, Arkansas, Tennessee, Auburn and Georgia – all solid bowl teams.
SC will be able to move the ball all over the field on Houston, and I think Houston will become one dimensional and as good as Kolb can be, he cant carry this team alone.

SC wins easily 41-17.

:smiley_acbe: :cheers: :wacka wacka:

I cant wait until Friday.. Expect a lot of Gamecocks at the Liberty Bowl, they have sold nearly 20,000 tickets and that doesn't account for people who will be purchasing at the game or just gamecock fans in general not going to the game... SC is very motivated for this game, that bowl game last yr needs to be put in the past and a win this yr will do that.. GL VAN

Clemson -9.5 (**) vs Kentucky. This one is in Nashville. At first glance I liked KY. I wanted to like KY in this game. But after further review – the play was overruled.

This game boils down to Clemsons rushing game vs the KY defense, and the KY throwing game against the Clemson defense. That’s what both offenses do best, lets look at it:

Clemson rushing offense 5th in the nation
KY rushing defense 111th (out of 119) in the nation and last in the SEC

KY passing offense 9th in the nation
Clemson passing defense 4th in the nation.

I just don’t see how KY is ever going to stop Clemson. On the other hand, Clemson should be able to slow down KY and KY cant run the ball either. Special teams are a wash although KY has one of the best punt return teams in the nation.

Strength of schedule is about even, with Clemson having a tougher out of conf schedule but an easier in conf schedule. I don’t like the fact that Clemson is limping in to this one losing 3 of its last 4, and especially to S Carolina, but Clemson will be able to run on KY and that will be the difference.

Clemson 38 – 17

Missouri +3.5 (**) vs Oregon State at El Paso TX. I have to take the points here. Missouri is a little bit better than Oregon State in almost every statistical category. They have very even special teams.

The difference in this one is Missouri’s air attack against the OSU passing defense. I think Missou should be able to move the ball in the air.
Missouri wins 31-24

S Carolina -5.5 (****) vs Houston at Mephis TN. This will be equal to my biggest bowl game bet of the season.

SC wins easily 41-17.

Texas Tech -6.5 (**) vs Minny. Heres another one where I initially wanted to take the points – but after further review the play was overturned.

Minnesota’s defense is horrible. There is no other way to put it. They are 113 out of 119 in college football in total defense. They suck equally against the pass and the run.

Plain and simple, I think that is the key to this game. Texas Tech wins when they score points, and I have no evidence to show that Minny will be able to stop TT at all. TT special teams are better both punting and FG kicking.

An interesting stat. Minnesota is #1 in the nation in turnover differential, and that is how they have stayed in games this year. Take away the turnover and they really are terrible. Their offense will be able to move the ball but I just don’t see TT being stopped very often.

Minnesota might be the worst bowl team from a Major conference this year. They beat North Dakota State in the middle of the season 10-9 and were outyarded by 131 yards. 2 of their other wins was against Kent State and Temple.

TT 48-24

Purdue vs Maryland (NO PLAY). I cant figure this one out at all. I cant back a Maryland team that cant score and has no idea how to put away teams (they won every real game by less than a touchdown) – and I have a hard time backing purdue who has a hard time turning yards in to points.

This is a pass for me.

I like all of your Fri picks except I'm taking Oregon State because they are peaking and may currently be the best team in the PAC-10. Matt Moore is playing lights out and Berriman will rack up some rushing yards. Should be a fun game to watch and BOL tomorrow.

Sorry these are going to be so short, just ran out of time today to do the writeups:

BC -7 vs Navy NO PLAY. This is a fair line I think. It will all depend upon Navy's ability to run, which I have my doubts about, but BC hasnt shown me enough on offense to get my money. Pass.

Texas -8.5 (*) vs Iowa . This will probably be a no bet for me but I do lean towards Texas in this one. Class difference on both sides of the ball and a big speed advantage to Texas. Just not too interested in laying 8.5 but if I had to pick a side it would be Texas.

Virginia Tech ML -135 (***) vs Georgia. This is a real defensive battle but I think there is a distinct advantage with the hokies here. Georgia wont be able to move the ball and might score in the single digits. VT should get enough. I rarely lay the juice to bet on the ML but I think the price difference between -2.5 -112 vs PK -135 warrants the difference in what could be a low scoring ugly game.

GL ALL

Hey, Van, I thought this might get lost among the many posts at Covers.

But the truth is, even though it got away from you at the end there, you 'capped a hell of a bowl season.

Thanks for some of those winners.

=)

Back